Calvin's Quiz #597

Calvin

Apr 24, 2020, 9:38:36 PM4/24/20
1 In the NBA and NBL, teams are (in most cases) required to attempt a basket within how many seconds of gaining possession?
2 Which future US President had the misfortune to lose both his wife and his mother on the same day, 14 February 1884?
3 Now in its 30th season, The Simpsons has surpassed which western drama for the most episodes of a prime-time, scripted TV series?
4 Ian Fraser Kilmister, better known as Lemmy, founded which British rock band?
5 The Lass That Loved a Sailor is the alternative title of which Gilbert and Sullivan operetta?
6 With over 65 billion messages sent per day, what is the world's most used, smart phone based, instant messaging service?
7 Which word, derived from the Greek antonym for chaos, means an orderly, harmonious and systematic universe?
8 Which traditional Japanese seasoning is produced by fermenting soybeans with salt and koji?
9 Which creature shares its name with the hollow in the top face of a brick which holds mortar?
10 Which former world heavyweight champion is perhaps better known these days for his eponymous kitchen grills?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Apr 24, 2020, 9:49:51 PM4/24/20
"Calvin":
> 1 In the NBA and NBL, teams are (in most cases) required to
> attempt a basket within how many seconds of gaining possession?

24.

What's an NBL? I read it momentarily as NHL and was surprised when
I got to "basket"!

> 2 Which future US President had the misfortune to lose both his
> wife and his mother on the same day, 14 February 1884?

Wilson?

> 3 Now in its 30th season, The Simpsons has surpassed which western
> drama for the most episodes of a prime-time, scripted TV series?

"Gunsmoke".

> 4 Ian Fraser Kilmister, better known as Lemmy, founded which
> British rock band?

I'll go with the Bay City Rollers, because I liked "Love Actually".

> 5 The Lass That Loved a Sailor is the alternative title of which
> Gilbert and Sullivan operetta?

"The Pirates of Penzance".

> 6 With over 65 billion messages sent per day, what is the world's
> most used, smart phone based, instant messaging service?

SMS.

> 7 Which word, derived from the Greek antonym for chaos, means an
> orderly, harmonious and systematic universe?

Ethos?

> 8 Which traditional Japanese seasoning is produced
> by fermenting soybeans with salt and koji?

> 9 Which creature shares its name with the hollow in the top face
> of a brick which holds mortar?

Scallop?

> 10 Which former world heavyweight champion is perhaps better known
> these days for his eponymous kitchen grills?

Also for naming all his sons after himself. Foreman.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto Attenton to dteail; thats' the secreg.
m...@vex.net --Robin Bignall

Dan Tilque

Apr 25, 2020, 4:23:52 AM4/25/20
On 4/24/20 6:38 PM, Calvin wrote:
> 1 In the NBA and NBL, teams are (in most cases) required to attempt a basket within how many seconds of gaining possession?

24

> 2 Which future US President had the misfortune to lose both his wife and his mother on the same day, 14 February 1884?

Theodore Roosevelt

> 3 Now in its 30th season, The Simpsons has surpassed which western drama for the most episodes of a prime-time, scripted TV series?

Gunsmoke

> 4 Ian Fraser Kilmister, better known as Lemmy, founded which British rock band?
> 5 The Lass That Loved a Sailor is the alternative title of which Gilbert and Sullivan operetta?

Pirates of Penzance

> 6 With over 65 billion messages sent per day, what is the world's most used, smart phone based, instant messaging service?

Twitter

> 7 Which word, derived from the Greek antonym for chaos, means an orderly, harmonious and systematic universe?
> 8 Which traditional Japanese seasoning is produced by fermenting soybeans with salt and koji?

soy sauce

> 9 Which creature shares its name with the hollow in the top face of a brick which holds mortar?
> 10 Which former world heavyweight champion is perhaps better known these days for his eponymous kitchen grills?

Foreman

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 25, 2020, 5:05:26 AM4/25/20
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 In the NBA and NBL, teams are (in most cases) required to attempt
> a basket within how many seconds of gaining possession?

15?

> 2 Which future US President had the misfortune to lose both his wife
> and his mother on the same day, 14 February 1884?

Theodor Roosevelt

> 3 Now in its 30th season, The Simpsons has surpassed which western
> drama for the most episodes of a prime-time, scripted TV series?

The Cartwritght Brothers

> 4 Ian Fraser Kilmister, better known as Lemmy, founded which British
> rock band?

Motörhead

> 6 With over 65 billion messages sent per day, what is the world's
> most used, smart phone based, instant messaging service?

Whatsapp

> 8 Which traditional Japanese seasoning is produced
> by fermenting soybeans with salt and koji?

Wasabi

> 10 Which former world heavyweight champion is perhaps better known
> these days for his eponymous kitchen grills?

Morton

Dan Blum

Apr 25, 2020, 10:13:22 AM4/25/20
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1 In the NBA and NBL, teams are (in most cases) required to attempt a basket within how many seconds of gaining possession?

15

> 2 Which future US President had the misfortune to lose both his wife and his mother on the same day, 14 February 1884?

Theodore Roosevelt

> 3 Now in its 30th season, The Simpsons has surpassed which western drama for the most episodes of a prime-time, scripted TV series?

Gunsmoke

> 5 The Lass That Loved a Sailor is the alternative title of which Gilbert and Sullivan operetta?

HMS Pinafore

> 8 Which traditional??Japanese seasoning??is produced by??fermenting??soybeans??with salt and koji?

soy sauce

> 9 Which creature shares its name with the hollow in the top face of a brick which holds mortar?

frog

> 10 Which former world heavyweight champion is perhaps better known these days for his eponymous kitchen grills?

George Foreman

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

swp

Apr 25, 2020, 4:46:25 PM4/25/20
On Friday, April 24, 2020 at 9:38:36 PM UTC-4, Calvin wrote:
> 1 In the NBA and NBL, teams are (in most cases) required to attempt a basket within how many seconds of gaining possession?

24

> 2 Which future US President had the misfortune to lose both his wife and his mother on the same day, 14 February 1884?

teddy roosevelt

> 3 Now in its 30th season, The Simpsons has surpassed which western drama for the most episodes of a prime-time, scripted TV series?

gunsmoke

> 4 Ian Fraser Kilmister, better known as Lemmy, founded which British rock band?

motorhead

> 5 The Lass That Loved a Sailor is the alternative title of which Gilbert and Sullivan operetta?

hms pinafore

> 6 With over 65 billion messages sent per day, what is the world's most used, smart phone based, instant messaging service?

whatsapp

> 7 Which word, derived from the Greek antonym for chaos, means an orderly, harmonious and systematic universe?

cosmos

> 8 Which traditional Japanese seasoning is produced by fermenting soybeans with salt and koji?

miso

> 9 Which creature shares its name with the hollow in the top face of a brick which holds mortar?

frog

> 10 Which former world heavyweight champion is perhaps better known these days for his eponymous kitchen grills?

george foreman

swp

Pete Gayde

Apr 27, 2020, 2:50:45 PM4/27/20
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 In the NBA and NBL, teams are (in most cases) required to
> attempt a basket within how many seconds of gaining possession?

24

> 2 Which future US President had the misfortune to lose both his wife
and
> his mother on the same day, 14 February 1884?

Theodore Roosevelt

> 3 Now in its 30th
> season, The Simpsons has surpassed which western drama for the most
> episodes of a prime-time, scripted TV series?

Gunsmoke

> 4 Ian Fraser
> Kilmister, better known as Lemmy, founded which British rock band?

Iron Butterfly

> 5 The Lass That Loved a Sailor is the alternative title of which
> Gilbert and Sullivan operetta?

HMS Pinafore

> 6 With over 65 billion messages
> sent per day, what is the world's most used, smart phone based,
> instant messaging service?

WhatsApp

> 7 Which word, derived from the Greek
> antonym for chaos, means an orderly, harmonious and systematic
> universe?

Utopia

> 8 Which traditional Japanese seasoning is produced
> by fermenting soybeans with salt and koji?
> 9 Which creature
> shares its name with the hollow in the top face of a brick which holds
> mortar?
> 10 Which former world heavyweight champion is perhaps
> better known these days for his eponymous kitchen grills?

George Foreman

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

R. Ess

Apr 30, 2020, 6:25:14 PM4/30/20
On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 18:38:35 -0700 (PDT), Calvin <334...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>1 In the NBA and NBL, teams are (in most cases) required to attempt a basket within how many seconds of gaining possession?
24 seconds
>2 Which future US President had the misfortune to lose both his wife and his mother on the same day, 14 February 1884?
Teddy Roosevelt
>3 Now in its 30th season, The Simpsons has surpassed which western drama for the most episodes of a prime-time, scripted TV series?
Gunsmoke
>4 Ian Fraser Kilmister, better known as Lemmy, founded which British rock band?
Motorhead
>5 The Lass That Loved a Sailor is the alternative title of which Gilbert and Sullivan operetta?
Pirates of Penzance
>6 With over 65 billion messages sent per day, what is the world's most used, smart phone based, instant messaging service?
Twitter?
>7 Which word, derived from the Greek antonym for chaos, means an orderly, harmonious and systematic universe?
>8 Which traditional Japanese seasoning is produced by fermenting soybeans with salt and koji?
Miso
>9 Which creature shares its name with the hollow in the top face of a brick which holds mortar?
frog
>10 Which former world heavyweight champion is perhaps better known these days for his eponymous kitchen grills?
George Foreman

ArenEss

>cheers,
>calvin

Calvin

May 8, 2020, 2:09:41 AM5/8/20
On Saturday, April 25, 2020 at 11:38:36 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

Apologies for the delay.

> 1 In the NBA and NBL, teams are (in most cases) required to attempt a basket within how many seconds of gaining possession?

24
The NBL is the Australian league for those who were wondering.

> 2 Which future US President had the misfortune to lose both his wife and
is mother on the same day, 14 February 1884?

Teddy Roosevelt

> 3 Now in its 30th season, The Simpsons has surpassed which western drama for the most episodes of a prime-time, scripted TV series?

Gunsmole

> 4 Ian Fraser Kilmister, better known as Lemmy, founded which British rock band?

Motorhead

> 5 The Lass That Loved a Sailor is the alternative title of which Gilbert and Sullivan operetta?

HMS Pinafore

> 6 With over 65 billion messages sent per day, what is the world's most used, smart phone based, instant messaging service?

WhatsApp

> 7 Which word, derived from the Greek antonym for chaos, means an orderly, harmonious and systematic universe?

Cosmos
Singleton for Stephan

> 8 Which traditional Japanese seasoning is produced by fermenting soybeans with salt and koji?

Miso

> 9 Which creature shares its name with the hollow in the top face of a brick which holds mortar?

Frog

> 10 Which former world heavyweight champion is perhaps better known these days for his eponymous kitchen grills?

George Foreman

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 597
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 10 38 Stephen Perry
1 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 7 31 Aren Ess
1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 6 29 Pete Gayde
0 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 5 24 Dan Blum