QFTCIRS Final, Rounds 7-8: geography, sports

Mark Brader

Feb 25, 2020, 12:56:52 AM2/25/20
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-12-10,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Red Smarties and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 7 - Geography

* Hometown Heroes

On each list, which city are all of the people from? (Note:
this does not necessarily mean their birthplace.)

1. Paul Newman, Harvey Pekar, Bob Hope.
2. Sidney Crosby, Sarah Mclaughlin, Ellen Page.
3. Prince, Jesse Ventura, Charles Schulz.

* What's in a Name?

Which country's name, in its primary language, means...

4. "Little Venice"?
5. "Middle Kingdom"?
6. "Land of the Black Mountain"?

* Asian Country Outlines

Name the countries. Yes, north is at the top in each case.

7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/out/7.gif
8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/out/8.gif
9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/out/9.gif

* Two Cities, One Name

On each map the two marked cities have names that are either the same or
equivalent. Name one of the cities in each case.

10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/same/10.png
11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/same/11.png
12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/same/12.png

* We Can't Help but Stan

Which former Soviet republic has the capital city...

13. Ashgabat?
14. Tashkent?
15. Nur-Sultan (formerly known as Astana)?

** Final, Round 8 - Sports

For questions #1-5 you must give the team name, like "Maple Leafs".

* Sports Franchises that Went Away

1. The major-league baseball franchise founded in Washington in
1901 moved in 1960 to Minnesota and became the Twins. Give the
name they were regularly known by until 1960.

2. This team started in the WHA, then moved to the NHL. It was
based in Boston, and then in Connecticut. In 1997 they moved
again to became the Carolina Hurricanes. What were they called
until then?

3. This team started in 1948 in the Basketball Association of
America, which later became the NBA. A frequent contender in
the 1950s and '60s, the team was moved in 1972 and eventually
became the Sacramento Kings. What was it called originally?

* First Winners

4. 1927 was the first year that the WHL dropped out of Stanley
Cup competition and the trophy went to NHL teams exclusively.
Who won it that year?

5. Which team defeated the Boston Red Sox in 1967 to become the
first winners of the Commissioners Trophy?

6. Which country's team won the first-ever World Cup of soccer?

* Canadian Athlete Endorsements

7. This male Olympic silver medalist for figure skating shilled
for McCain fruit punch in 1998. Name him.

8. In 1994 this NHL hockey superstar lent his name and image
to Noma GT Snow Racers. One of them even came in this player's
signature colors. Name him.

9. In 1995 this NHL player starred in a series of commercials
advertising milk, sometimes donning cow legs. Name him.

* Terminology of Billiards/Pool Games

Give the words.

10. This term is used when the cue ball is hit on either side of
the vertical axis, imparting a spin on the ball. You are said to
"give" the ball this.

11. The hand shape used to guide the cue is called this. It is
also a name for a second special "cue" used to guide the player's
main cue when a very long reach is required.

12. In snooker, this term is used when a player scores 100 points or
more after potting (sinking) at least 25 consecutive balls on
the same turn.

* Horse Racing

13. All thoroughbred horses in the Northern Hemisphere have the
same birthday, by convention. What day of the year is that?

14. Every horse competing in the Kentucky Derby is the same age.
What age?

15. The winner of this race is draped in a blanket of black-eyed
susans, but the flowers are fake because black-eyed susans
don't bloom in Maryland until June. Which race?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Perhaps I should have done the posting and sleeping
m...@vex.net | in the other order." --Peter Duncanson

Dan Blum

Feb 25, 2020, 9:55:48 AM2/25/20
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 7 - Geography

> * Hometown Heroes

> 1. Paul Newman, Harvey Pekar, Bob Hope.

Cleveland

> 2. Sidney Crosby, Sarah Mclaughlin, Ellen Page.

Seattle

> 3. Prince, Jesse Ventura, Charles Schulz.

Minneapolis

> * What's in a Name?

> 4. "Little Venice"?

Slovenia

> 5. "Middle Kingdom"?

China

> 6. "Land of the Black Mountain"?

Montenegro

> * Asian Country Outlines

> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/out/7.gif

Iran

> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/out/8.gif

Malaysia

> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/out/9.gif

Thailand

> * Two Cities, One Name

> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/same/10.png

Portland

> 11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/same/11.png

Saint Paul

> 12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/same/12.png

San Jose

> * We Can't Help but Stan

> 13. Ashgabat?

Tajikistan; Kyrgyzstan

> 14. Tashkent?

Uzbekistan; Turkmenistan

> 15. Nur-Sultan (formerly known as Astana)?

Kazakhstan; Tajikistan

> ** Final, Round 8 - Sports

> * Sports Franchises that Went Away

> 1. The major-league baseball franchise founded in Washington in
> 1901 moved in 1960 to Minnesota and became the Twins. Give the
> name they were regularly known by until 1960.

Senators

> 2. This team started in the WHA, then moved to the NHL. It was
> based in Boston, and then in Connecticut. In 1997 they moved
> again to became the Carolina Hurricanes. What were they called
> until then?

Whalers

> * First Winners

> 4. 1927 was the first year that the WHL dropped out of Stanley
> Cup competition and the trophy went to NHL teams exclusively.
> Who won it that year?

Canadiens; Blackhawks

> 5. Which team defeated the Boston Red Sox in 1967 to become the
> first winners of the Commissioners Trophy?

Yankees; White Sox

> 6. Which country's team won the first-ever World Cup of soccer?

France; Germany

> * Canadian Athlete Endorsements

> 8. In 1994 this NHL hockey superstar lent his name and image
> to Noma GT Snow Racers. One of them even came in this player's
> signature colors. Name him.

Wayne Gretzky

> * Terminology of Billiards/Pool Games

> Give the words.

> 10. This term is used when the cue ball is hit on either side of
> the vertical axis, imparting a spin on the ball. You are said to
> "give" the ball this.

English

> * Horse Racing

> 13. All thoroughbred horses in the Northern Hemisphere have the
> same birthday, by convention. What day of the year is that?

January 1st

> 14. Every horse competing in the Kentucky Derby is the same age.
> What age?

3 years

> 15. The winner of this race is draped in a blanket of black-eyed
> susans, but the flowers are fake because black-eyed susans
> don't bloom in Maryland until June. Which race?

Preakness

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joe Masters

Feb 25, 2020, 1:04:53 PM2/25/20
On 2020-02-25 05:56:46 +0000, Mark Brader said:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-12-10,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Red Smarties and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 7 - Geography
>
> * Hometown Heroes
>
> On each list, which city are all of the people from? (Note:
> this does not necessarily mean their birthplace.)
>
> 1. Paul Newman, Harvey Pekar, Bob Hope.

Chicago

> 2. Sidney Crosby, Sarah Mclaughlin, Ellen Page.

Chicago

> 3. Prince, Jesse Ventura, Charles Schulz.

Philadelphia

> * What's in a Name?
>
> Which country's name, in its primary language, means...
>
> 4. "Little Venice"?
> 5. "Middle Kingdom"?
> 6. "Land of the Black Mountain"?
>

> * Asian Country Outlines
>
> Name the countries. Yes, north is at the top in each case.
>
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/out/7.gif
> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/out/8.gif
> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/out/9.gif
>

> * Two Cities, One Name
>
> On each map the two marked cities have names that are either the same or
> equivalent. Name one of the cities in each case.
>
> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/same/10.png
> 11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/same/11.png
> 12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/same/12.png
>

> * We Can't Help but Stan
>
> Which former Soviet republic has the capital city...
>
> 13. Ashgabat?

Khazakstan

> 14. Tashkent?

Khazakstan

> 15. Nur-Sultan (formerly known as Astana)?

Khazakstan

> ** Final, Round 8 - Sports
>
> For questions #1-5 you must give the team name, like "Maple Leafs".
>
> * Sports Franchises that Went Away
>
> 1. The major-league baseball franchise founded in Washington in
> 1901 moved in 1960 to Minnesota and became the Twins. Give the
> name they were regularly known by until 1960.
>
> 2. This team started in the WHA, then moved to the NHL. It was
> based in Boston, and then in Connecticut. In 1997 they moved
> again to became the Carolina Hurricanes. What were they called
> until then?
>
> 3. This team started in 1948 in the Basketball Association of
> America, which later became the NBA. A frequent contender in
> the 1950s and '60s, the team was moved in 1972 and eventually
> became the Sacramento Kings. What was it called originally?
>

> * First Winners
>
> 4. 1927 was the first year that the WHL dropped out of Stanley
> Cup competition and the trophy went to NHL teams exclusively.
> Who won it that year?
>
> 5. Which team defeated the Boston Red Sox in 1967 to become the
> first winners of the Commissioners Trophy?
>
> 6. Which country's team won the first-ever World Cup of soccer?

Uruguay

> * Canadian Athlete Endorsements
>
> 7. This male Olympic silver medalist for figure skating shilled
> for McCain fruit punch in 1998. Name him.
>
> 8. In 1994 this NHL hockey superstar lent his name and image
> to Noma GT Snow Racers. One of them even came in this player's
> signature colors. Name him.
>
> 9. In 1995 this NHL player starred in a series of commercials
> advertising milk, sometimes donning cow legs. Name him.
>

> * Terminology of Billiards/Pool Games
>
> Give the words.
>
> 10. This term is used when the cue ball is hit on either side of
> the vertical axis, imparting a spin on the ball. You are said to
> "give" the ball this.

Side

> 11. The hand shape used to guide the cue is called this. It is
> also a name for a second special "cue" used to guide the player's
> main cue when a very long reach is required.

Bridge

> 12. In snooker, this term is used when a player scores 100 points or
> more after potting (sinking) at least 25 consecutive balls on
> the same turn.

Century break

> * Horse Racing
>
> 13. All thoroughbred horses in the Northern Hemisphere have the
> same birthday, by convention. What day of the year is that?

January 1st

> 14. Every horse competing in the Kentucky Derby is the same age.
> What age?

3 years old

> 15. The winner of this race is draped in a blanket of black-eyed
> susans, but the flowers are fake because black-eyed susans
> don't bloom in Maryland until June. Which race?

--
“To err, as they say, is human. To forgive is divine. To err by
withholding your forgiveness until it’s too late is to become divinely

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 25, 2020, 2:52:20 PM2/25/20
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> ** Final, Round 7 - Geography
>
> * Hometown Heroes
>
> 2. Sidney Crosby, Sarah Mclaughlin, Ellen Page.

Halifax

Wait, that says McLaughlin, not McLachlan. Oh well.

> 3. Prince, Jesse Ventura, Charles Schulz.

Minneapolis

> Which country's name, in its primary language, means...
>
> 4. "Little Venice"?

Venezuela

> 5. "Middle Kingdom"?

China

> 6. "Land of the Black Mountain"?

Montenegro is "black mountain" (without "land of"), but in the primary
language spoken there, it means nothing. Then again, they actually call
it Crna Gora, which means the same thing-

> * Asian Country Outlines
>
> Name the countries. Yes, north is at the top in each case.
>
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/out/7.gif

> * Two Cities, One Name
>
> On each map the two marked cities have names that are either the same or
> equivalent. Name one of the cities in each case.
>
> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/same/10.png

Portland

> 11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/same/11.png

St Paul / São Paolo

> 12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/same/12.png

San José

> Which former Soviet republic has the capital city...
>
> 13. Ashgabat?

Turkmenistan

> 14. Tashkent?

Uzbekistan

> 15. Nur-Sultan (formerly known as Astana)?

Kazakhstan

(And known as something else before it became a capital.)

> ** Final, Round 8 - Sports
>
> For questions #1-5 you must give the team name, like "Maple Leafs".
>
> * Sports Franchises that Went Away
>
> 2. This team started in the WHA, then moved to the NHL. It was
> based in Boston, and then in Connecticut. In 1997 they moved
> again to became the Carolina Hurricanes. What were they called
> until then?

Whalers

> * First Winners
>
> 4. 1927 was the first year that the WHL dropped out of Stanley
> Cup competition and the trophy went to NHL teams exclusively.
> Who won it that year?

Marlies

> 6. Which country's team won the first-ever World Cup of soccer?

Uruguay

Mark Brader

Feb 25, 2020, 3:54:33 PM2/25/20
Mark Brader:
> > 6. "Land of the Black Mountain"?

Erland Sommarskog:
> Montenegro is "black mountain" (without "land of"), but in the primary
> language spoken there, it means nothing.

So what? That's not its name in their primary language.

> Then again, they actually call it Crna Gora...

That is.
--
Mark Brader | "The default choice ... is in many ways the most
Toronto | important thing. ... People can get started

Joshua Kreitzer

Feb 25, 2020, 8:18:21 PM2/25/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> ** Final, Round 7 - Geography
>
> * Hometown Heroes
>
> On each list, which city are all of the people from? (Note:
> this does not necessarily mean their birthplace.)
>
> 1. Paul Newman, Harvey Pekar, Bob Hope.

Cleveland

> 2. Sidney Crosby, Sarah Mclaughlin, Ellen Page.

Pittsburgh

> 3. Prince, Jesse Ventura, Charles Schulz.

Minneapolis

> * What's in a Name?
>
> Which country's name, in its primary language, means...
>
> 4. "Little Venice"?

Venezuela

> 5. "Middle Kingdom"?

China

> 6. "Land of the Black Mountain"?

Montenegro

> * Asian Country Outlines
>
> Name the countries. Yes, north is at the top in each case.
>
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/out/7.gif

> * Two Cities, One Name
>
> On each map the two marked cities have names that are either the same
> or equivalent. Name one of the cities in each case.
>
> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/same/10.png

Portland

> 11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/same/11.png

St. Paul
> * We Can't Help but Stan
>
> Which former Soviet republic has the capital city...
>
> 13. Ashgabat?

Turkmenistan

> 14. Tashkent?

Uzbekistan

> 15. Nur-Sultan (formerly known as Astana)?

Kazakhstan

> ** Final, Round 8 - Sports
>
> For questions #1-5 you must give the team name, like "Maple Leafs".
>
> * Sports Franchises that Went Away
>
> 1. The major-league baseball franchise founded in Washington in
> 1901 moved in 1960 to Minnesota and became the Twins. Give the
> name they were regularly known by until 1960.

Senators

> 2. This team started in the WHA, then moved to the NHL. It was
> based in Boston, and then in Connecticut. In 1997 they moved
> again to became the Carolina Hurricanes. What were they called
> until then?

Whalers

> 3. This team started in 1948 in the Basketball Association of
> America, which later became the NBA. A frequent contender in
> the 1950s and '60s, the team was moved in 1972 and eventually
> became the Sacramento Kings. What was it called originally?

Royals

> * First Winners
>
> 4. 1927 was the first year that the WHL dropped out of Stanley
> Cup competition and the trophy went to NHL teams exclusively.
> Who won it that year?

Canadiens

> 5. Which team defeated the Boston Red Sox in 1967 to become the
> first winners of the Commissioners Trophy?

Cardinals

> 6. Which country's team won the first-ever World Cup of soccer?

Uruguay

> * Terminology of Billiards/Pool Games
>
> Give the words.
>
> 10. This term is used when the cue ball is hit on either side of
> the vertical axis, imparting a spin on the ball. You are said to
> "give" the ball this.

English

> 12. In snooker, this term is used when a player scores 100 points or
> more after potting (sinking) at least 25 consecutive balls on
> the same turn.

century

> * Horse Racing
>
> 13. All thoroughbred horses in the Northern Hemisphere have the
> same birthday, by convention. What day of the year is that?

January 1

3

> 15. The winner of this race is draped in a blanket of black-eyed
> susans, but the flowers are fake because black-eyed susans
> don't bloom in Maryland until June. Which race?

Preakness Stakes

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Calvin

Feb 26, 2020, 6:51:51 PM2/26/20
On Tuesday, February 25, 2020 at 3:56:52 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 7 - Geography
>
> * Hometown Heroes
>
> On each list, which city are all of the people from? (Note:
> this does not necessarily mean their birthplace.)
>
> 1. Paul Newman, Harvey Pekar, Bob Hope.
> 2. Sidney Crosby, Sarah Mclaughlin, Ellen Page.
> 3. Prince, Jesse Ventura, Charles Schulz.

Minnesota

> * What's in a Name?
>
> Which country's name, in its primary language, means...
>
> 4. "Little Venice"?
> 5. "Middle Kingdom"?

China

> 6. "Land of the Black Mountain"?

Sierra Leone

> * Asian Country Outlines
>
> Name the countries. Yes, north is at the top in each case.
>
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/out/7.gif

Peru, Montenegro
> * Two Cities, One Name
>
> On each map the two marked cities have names that are either the same or
> equivalent. Name one of the cities in each case.
>
> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/same/10.png

Portland, St Helens

> 11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/same/11.png

Sao Paolo

> 12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/same/12.png

San Francisco, Sacramento

> * We Can't Help but Stan
>
> Which former Soviet republic has the capital city...
>
> 13. Ashgabat?

Turkmenistan

> 14. Tashkent?

Uzbekistan

> 15. Nur-Sultan (formerly known as Astana)?

Kazakhstan

> ** Final, Round 8 - Sports
>
> For questions #1-5 you must give the team name, like "Maple Leafs".
>
> * Sports Franchises that Went Away
>
> 1. The major-league baseball franchise founded in Washington in
> 1901 moved in 1960 to Minnesota and became the Twins. Give the
> name they were regularly known by until 1960.
>
> 2. This team started in the WHA, then moved to the NHL. It was
> based in Boston, and then in Connecticut. In 1997 they moved
> again to became the Carolina Hurricanes. What were they called
> until then?
>
> 3. This team started in 1948 in the Basketball Association of
> America, which later became the NBA. A frequent contender in
> the 1950s and '60s, the team was moved in 1972 and eventually
> became the Sacramento Kings. What was it called originally?
>

> * First Winners
>
> 4. 1927 was the first year that the WHL dropped out of Stanley
> Cup competition and the trophy went to NHL teams exclusively.
> Who won it that year?
>
> 5. Which team defeated the Boston Red Sox in 1967 to become the
> first winners of the Commissioners Trophy?
>
> 6. Which country's team won the first-ever World Cup of soccer?

Uruguay

> * Canadian Athlete Endorsements
>
> 7. This male Olympic silver medalist for figure skating shilled
> for McCain fruit punch in 1998. Name him.
>
> 8. In 1994 this NHL hockey superstar lent his name and image
> to Noma GT Snow Racers. One of them even came in this player's
> signature colors. Name him.
>
> 9. In 1995 this NHL player starred in a series of commercials
> advertising milk, sometimes donning cow legs. Name him.
>

> * Terminology of Billiards/Pool Games
>
> Give the words.
>
> 10. This term is used when the cue ball is hit on either side of
> the vertical axis, imparting a spin on the ball. You are said to
> "give" the ball this.

Irish

> 11. The hand shape used to guide the cue is called this. It is
> also a name for a second special "cue" used to guide the player's
> main cue when a very long reach is required.

Rest, Jigger

> 12. In snooker, this term is used when a player scores 100 points or
> more after potting (sinking) at least 25 consecutive balls on
> the same turn.
>

> * Horse Racing
>
> 13. All thoroughbred horses in the Northern Hemisphere have the
> same birthday, by convention. What day of the year is that?

1 February, 1 March

> 14. Every horse competing in the Kentucky Derby is the same age.
> What age?

3, 4

> 15. The winner of this race is draped in a blanket of black-eyed
> susans, but the flowers are fake because black-eyed susans
> don't bloom in Maryland until June. Which race?

Preakness stakes, Belmont stakes

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Feb 27, 2020, 9:54:39 AM2/27/20
On 2/24/20 9:56 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 7 - Geography
>
> * Hometown Heroes
>
> On each list, which city are all of the people from? (Note:
> this does not necessarily mean their birthplace.)
>
> 1. Paul Newman, Harvey Pekar, Bob Hope.

Hartford

> 2. Sidney Crosby, Sarah Mclaughlin, Ellen Page.
> 3. Prince, Jesse Ventura, Charles Schulz.

Minneapolis

> * What's in a Name?
>
> Which country's name, in its primary language, means...
>
> 4. "Little Venice"?

Venezuela

> 5. "Middle Kingdom"?

China

> 6. "Land of the Black Mountain"?

Montenegro

> * Asian Country Outlines
>
> Name the countries. Yes, north is at the top in each case.
>
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/out/7.gif

Iran

> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/out/8.gif

Malayasia

> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/out/9.gif

Thailand

> * Two Cities, One Name
>
> On each map the two marked cities have names that are either the same or
> equivalent. Name one of the cities in each case.
>
> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/same/10.png

Portland

> 11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/same/11.png

St Paul
> * We Can't Help but Stan
>
> Which former Soviet republic has the capital city...
>
> 13. Ashgabat?

Kyrgystan; Turkmenistan

> 14. Tashkent?

Uzbekistan

> 15. Nur-Sultan (formerly known as Astana)?

Kazakhstan

> ** Final, Round 8 - Sports
>
> For questions #1-5 you must give the team name, like "Maple Leafs".
>
> * Sports Franchises that Went Away
>
> 1. The major-league baseball franchise founded in Washington in
> 1901 moved in 1960 to Minnesota and became the Twins. Give the
> name they were regularly known by until 1960.

Senators

> 2. This team started in the WHA, then moved to the NHL. It was
> based in Boston, and then in Connecticut. In 1997 they moved
> again to became the Carolina Hurricanes. What were they called
> until then?

Whalers

> 3. This team started in 1948 in the Basketball Association of
> America, which later became the NBA. A frequent contender in
> the 1950s and '60s, the team was moved in 1972 and eventually
> became the Sacramento Kings. What was it called originally?
>

> * First Winners
>
> 4. 1927 was the first year that the WHL dropped out of Stanley
> Cup competition and the trophy went to NHL teams exclusively.
> Who won it that year?
>
> 5. Which team defeated the Boston Red Sox in 1967 to become the
> first winners of the Commissioners Trophy?

Dodgers

> 6. Which country's team won the first-ever World Cup of soccer?
>

> * Canadian Athlete Endorsements
>
> 7. This male Olympic silver medalist for figure skating shilled
> for McCain fruit punch in 1998. Name him.
>
> 8. In 1994 this NHL hockey superstar lent his name and image
> to Noma GT Snow Racers. One of them even came in this player's
> signature colors. Name him.
>
> 9. In 1995 this NHL player starred in a series of commercials
> advertising milk, sometimes donning cow legs. Name him.
>

> * Terminology of Billiards/Pool Games
>
> Give the words.
>
> 10. This term is used when the cue ball is hit on either side of
> the vertical axis, imparting a spin on the ball. You are said to
> "give" the ball this.

english

> 11. The hand shape used to guide the cue is called this. It is
> also a name for a second special "cue" used to guide the player's
> main cue when a very long reach is required.
>
> 12. In snooker, this term is used when a player scores 100 points or
> more after potting (sinking) at least 25 consecutive balls on
> the same turn.
>

> * Horse Racing
>
> 13. All thoroughbred horses in the Northern Hemisphere have the
> same birthday, by convention. What day of the year is that?
>
> 14. Every horse competing in the Kentucky Derby is the same age.
> What age?

3 years

> 15. The winner of this race is draped in a blanket of black-eyed
> susans, but the flowers are fake because black-eyed susans
> don't bloom in Maryland until June. Which race?

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 27, 2020, 2:56:46 PM2/27/20
=====

> Peru, Montenegro

Hmm....

But at least Montenegro is the correct answer. To a different question.

Calvin

Feb 27, 2020, 6:26:07 PM2/27/20
Partial credit?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Feb 27, 2020, 10:10:45 PM2/27/20
Erland Sommarskog:
> > But at least Montenegro is the correct answer. To a different question.

"Calvin":
> Partial credit?

It's not even in Asia!
--
Mark Brader "I can see the time when every city will have one."
Toronto -- An American mayor's reaction to the

Mark Brader

Feb 28, 2020, 1:07:27 AM2/28/20
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-12-10,
> see my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> ** Final, Round 7 - Geography

This was the easiest round in the original game.

> * Hometown Heroes

> On each list, which city are all of the people from? (Note:
> this does not necessarily mean their birthplace.)

> 1. Paul Newman, Harvey Pekar, Bob Hope.

Cleveland. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 2. Sidney Crosby, Sarah Mclaughlin, Ellen Page.

Halifax. 4 for Erland.

Yes, Erland, apparently it was supposed to say McLachlan. Sorry.

> 3. Prince, Jesse Ventura, Charles Schulz.

Minneapolis. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> * What's in a Name?

> Which country's name, in its primary language, means...

> 4. "Little Venice"?

Venezuela. 4 for Erland, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. "Middle Kingdom"?

China. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, Calvin, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. "Land of the Black Mountain"?

Montenegro. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> * Asian Country Outlines

> Name the countries. Yes, north is at the top in each case.

> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/out/7.gif

Iran. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/out/8.gif

Malaysia. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, Calvin, and Dan Tilque.

> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/out/9.gif

Thailand. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, Calvin, and Dan Tilque.

> * Two Cities, One Name

> On each map the two marked cities have names that are either the same or
> equivalent. Name one of the cities in each case.

> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/same/10.png

Portland. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.
3 for Calvin.

> 11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/same/11.png

St. Paul, São Paulo. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland (the hard way), Joshua,
Calvin, and Dan Tilque.

> 12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/same/12.png

San Jose, San José. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> * We Can't Help but Stan

> Which former Soviet republic has the capital city...

> 13. Ashgabat?

Turkmenistan. 4 for Erland, Joshua, and Calvin. 2 for Dan Tilque.

> 14. Tashkent?

Uzbekistan. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Calvin, and Dan Tilque.
3 for Dan Blum.

> 15. Nur-Sultan (formerly known as Astana)?

Kazakhstan. 4 for Joe, Erland, Joshua, Calvin, and Dan Tilque.
3 for Dan Blum.

> ** Final, Round 8 - Sports

And this was the hardest round in the original game.

> For questions #1-5 you must give the team name, like "Maple Leafs".

> * Sports Franchises that Went Away

> 1. The major-league baseball franchise founded in Washington in
> 1901 moved in 1960 to Minnesota and became the Twins. Give the
> name they were regularly known by until 1960.

Washington Senators. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. This team started in the WHA, then moved to the NHL. It was
> based in Boston, and then in Connecticut. In 1997 they moved
> again to became the Carolina Hurricanes. What were they called
> until then?

New England / Hartford Whalers. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 3. This team started in 1948 in the Basketball Association of
> America, which later became the NBA. A frequent contender in
> the 1950s and '60s, the team was moved in 1972 and eventually
> became the Sacramento Kings. What was it called originally?

Cincinnati Royals. 4 for Joshua.

> * First Winners

> 4. 1927 was the first year that the WHL dropped out of Stanley
> Cup competition and the trophy went to NHL teams exclusively.
> Who won it that year?

Ottawa Senators.

> 5. Which team defeated the Boston Red Sox in 1967 to become the
> first winners of the Commissioners Trophy?

St. Louis Cardinals. 4 for Joshua.

> 6. Which country's team won the first-ever World Cup of soccer?

Uruguay. (1930.) 4 for Joe, Erland, Joshua, and Calvin.

> * Canadian Athlete Endorsements

> 7. This male Olympic silver medalist for figure skating shilled
> for McCain fruit punch in 1998. Name him.

Elvis Stojko.

> 8. In 1994 this NHL hockey superstar lent his name and image
> to Noma GT Snow Racers. One of them even came in this player's
> signature colors. Name him.

Brett Hull.

> 9. In 1995 this NHL player starred in a series of commercials
> advertising milk, sometimes donning cow legs. Name him.

Doug Gilmour.

> * Terminology of Billiards/Pool Games

> Give the words.

> 10. This term is used when the cue ball is hit on either side of
> the vertical axis, imparting a spin on the ball. You are said to
> "give" the ball this.

English. I accepted "side", which is foreign for "English".
4 for Dan Blum, Joe, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 11. The hand shape used to guide the cue is called this. It is
> also a name for a second special "cue" used to guide the player's
> main cue when a very long reach is required.

Bridge. 4 for Joe.

See: http://www.twentysix.net/colors/gallery/images/pool-bridge.jpg
In the original game, the answer "rake" was tried, which is another
name for the device. It was accepted by the opponents, but really
it's wrong because it doesn't have the other meaning indicated.
So I'm not accepting it here, or similarly, "rest".

> 12. In snooker, this term is used when a player scores 100 points or
> more after potting (sinking) at least 25 consecutive balls on
> the same turn.

Century or ton. 4 for Joe and Joshua.

> * Horse Racing

> 13. All thoroughbred horses in the Northern Hemisphere have the
> same birthday, by convention. What day of the year is that?

January 1. 4 for Dan Blum, Joe, and Joshua.

> 14. Every horse competing in the Kentucky Derby is the same age.
> What age?

3. 4 for Dan Blum, Joe, Joshua, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Calvin.

> 15. The winner of this race is draped in a blanket of black-eyed
> susans, but the flowers are fake because black-eyed susans
> don't bloom in Maryland until June. Which race?

Preakness Stakes. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua. 3 for Calvin.

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> A+L Can Ent Sci Geo Spo FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 26 12 56 30 56 40 182
Dan Blum 46 8 20 44 46 24 160
Dan Tilque 4 16 12 44 50 16 126
Erland Sommarskog 0 4 4 23 56 8 91
"Calvin" 20 0 16 15 31 10 82
Joe Masters 24 0 16 4 4 24 68
Pete Gayde -- -- 28 4 -- -- 32

--
Mark Brader "You are dangerously close to attempting
Toronto to apply logic and sense to the actions

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 28, 2020, 3:12:56 AM2/28/20
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> 2. Sidney Crosby, Sarah Mclaughlin, Ellen Page.
>
> Halifax. 4 for Erland.
>
> Yes, Erland, apparently it was supposed to say McLachlan. Sorry.

Sometimes it helps not reading the question too closely!

Even with the mis-reading I still had a challenge. I knew that she is
from Halifax originally, but I also know that she moved to Vancouver, and I
think her career took off there. And with the disclaimer "this does not
necessarily mean their birthplace", it was difficult to tell what answer
they wanted, since I knew nothing about the other persons.