QFTCIMM16 Game 10, Rounds 4,6: Mao's Century, 10

17 Aufrufe
Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Mark Brader

ungelesen,
22.03.2017, 03:42:5322.03.17
an
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-28,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 10, Round 4 - History - Mao's Century

That is, 20th-century China.

1. 1912 saw the fall of China's last imperial dynasty and the
birth of the Republic of China. Name China's last dynasty.

2. He was the spearhead of resistance to the <answer 1> Dynasty and,
briefly, the first president of the Republic of China. There's a
statue to him in Riverdale Park. Who was he?

3. In what year, exactly, was the People's Republic of China
declared?

4. Mao's cult of personality was advanced via one of the most widely
distributed books in history, "The Quotations of Chairman Mao".
By what nickname is this book informally known?

5. Premier of the People's Republic and Mao's right-hand man, this
dapper diplomat put a charming face on Mao's often-brutal
policies. Name him.

6. Mao was succeeded by a political cabal styled the Gang of Four.
Their leading figure was a woman. Who?

7. After the arrest of the Gang of Four, China was led by one of
the few long-time Communist party stalwarts who had managed to
survive Mao's purges. He is credited with introducing the
pragmatic market policies that have led to China's economic
success. Name him.

8. This conversation took place on 1972-02-01:

"I used to assign the Chairman's collective writings to
my classes at Harvard."

"Those writings of mine aren't anything. There is nothing
instructive in what I wrote."

"The Chairman's writings moved a nation and have changed
the world."

The second person speaking was, of course, Chairman Mao himself.
Name either of the other two.

9. Please decode the rot13 for the last two questions *one at
a time*, in each case only after you have finished with all
earlier questions. Sebz 1958 gb 1961, gur Pbzzhavfg Cnegl haqre
Znb ynhapurq n qvfnfgebhf pnzcnvta gb genafsbez Puvan sebz na
ntevphygheny fbpvrgl gb na vaqhfgevny naq zvyvgnel cbjreubhfr.
Ubj jnf guvf pnzcnvta xabja?

10. Ng gur ortvaavat bs gur Phygheny Eribyhgvba bs 1966-68, snangvpny
cnenzvyvgnel fghqrag tebhcf greebevmrq Puvan jvgu Znb'f nccebiny.
Ol jung anzr jrer gurfr tebhcf xabja?

* Game 10, Round 6 - Arts & Literature - 10

Yes, it's Game 10! To mark the wrapping-up of another season of
trivia, here are 10 book and film questions that are all about 10.

Warning: this round may contain offensive language. Player
discretion is advised.

1. American journalist John Reed's first-hand account of the
Russian revolution provided the basis for the film Reds.
Name it.

2. Widely considered to be Agatha Christie's most gripping novel,
it was originally published in the UK under the title "Ten
Little Niggers". Name either of the two titles used for most
US editions of it.

3. The first film version of "The Ten Commandments" was a 1923
silent. Name the director.

4. In which book of the Bible are the Ten Commandments recorded?

5. "Dekalog" is a 10-part Polish television series dramatizing
each of the Ten Commandments. It was written and directed by
one of Poland's most renowned cinema auteurs. Name him.

6. The Virgin Decalog was a series of short-story collections
published by Virgin Publishing between 1994 and 1997, based on
a long-running British television series. The protagonist of
the series experienced his 10th incarnation from 2005 to 2010.
Name the series.

7. In this classic of world literature, penned by Giovanni Bocaccio
in the 14th century, 10 young Florentines amuse themselves
during an epidemic of the plague by each telling a story a day
over the course of 10 days. Name the work.

8. This Italian director of the 1970s made a film of <answer 7>,
a companion piece to his movie versions of the "Canterbury Tales"
and the "Arabian Nights". Who?

9. In this Graham Greene novel, one of the last he published,
prisoners in a World War II concentration camp must draw lots
to determine who will be executed. Commenting on his work,
Greene said of it, "I prefer it in many ways to 'The Third Man'."
Name the novel.

10. "Ten Lost Years", an oral history published in 1973, was a
best-seller for Canadian historian Barry Broadfoot, and was
later turned into a successful play. The title refers to the
period of history known by *what name*?

--
Mark Brader "One should never listen to oneself.
Toronto I mean, who are one to judge?"

Peter Smyth

ungelesen,
22.03.2017, 04:51:5922.03.17
an
Little Red Book
> 5. Premier of the People's Republic and Mao's right-hand man, this
> dapper diplomat put a charming face on Mao's often-brutal
> policies. Name him.
>
> 6. Mao was succeeded by a political cabal styled the Gang of Four.
> Their leading figure was a woman. Who?
Shirley Williams
> 7. After the arrest of the Gang of Four, China was led by one of
> the few long-time Communist party stalwarts who had managed to
> survive Mao's purges. He is credited with introducing the
> pragmatic market policies that have led to China's economic
> success. Name him.
>
> 8. This conversation took place on 1972-02-01:
>
> "I used to assign the Chairman's collective writings to
> my classes at Harvard."
>
> "Those writings of mine aren't anything. There is nothing
> instructive in what I wrote."
>
> "The Chairman's writings moved a nation and have changed
> the world."
>
> The second person speaking was, of course, Chairman Mao himself.
> Name either of the other two.
Richard Nixon
> 9. Please decode the rot13 for the last two questions *one at
> a time*, in each case only after you have finished with all
> earlier questions. From 1958 to 1961, the Communist Party under
> Mao launched a disastrous campaign to transform China from an
> agricultural society to an industrial and military powerhouse.
> How was this campaign known?
The Great Leap Forward
> 10. At the beginning of the Cultural Revolution of 1966-68, fanatical
> paramilitary student groups terrorized China with Mao's approval.
> By what name were these groups known?
>

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Arts & Literature - 10
>
> Yes, it's Game 10! To mark the wrapping-up of another season of
> trivia, here are 10 book and film questions that are all about 10.
>
> Warning: this round may contain offensive language. Player
> discretion is advised.
>
> 1. American journalist John Reed's first-hand account of the
> Russian revolution provided the basis for the film Reds.
> Name it.
>
> 2. Widely considered to be Agatha Christie's most gripping novel,
> it was originally published in the UK under the title "Ten
> Little Niggers". Name either of the two titles used for most
> US editions of it.
Ten Little Indians
> 3. The first film version of "The Ten Commandments" was a 1923
> silent. Name the director.
>
> 4. In which book of the Bible are the Ten Commandments recorded?
Exodus
> 5. "Dekalog" is a 10-part Polish television series dramatizing
> each of the Ten Commandments. It was written and directed by
> one of Poland's most renowned cinema auteurs. Name him.
>
> 6. The Virgin Decalog was a series of short-story collections
> published by Virgin Publishing between 1994 and 1997, based on
> a long-running British television series. The protagonist of
> the series experienced his 10th incarnation from 2005 to 2010.
> Name the series.
Doctor Who
> 7. In this classic of world literature, penned by Giovanni Bocaccio
> in the 14th century, 10 young Florentines amuse themselves
> during an epidemic of the plague by each telling a story a day
> over the course of 10 days. Name the work.
>
> 8. This Italian director of the 1970s made a film of <answer 7>,
> a companion piece to his movie versions of the "Canterbury Tales"
> and the "Arabian Nights". Who?
>
> 9. In this Graham Greene novel, one of the last he published,
> prisoners in a World War II concentration camp must draw lots
> to determine who will be executed. Commenting on his work,
> Greene said of it, "I prefer it in many ways to 'The Third Man'."
> Name the novel.
>
> 10. "Ten Lost Years", an oral history published in 1973, was a
> best-seller for Canadian historian Barry Broadfoot, and was
> later turned into a successful play. The title refers to the
> period of history known by *what name*?
Great Depression

Peter Smyth

Dan Blum

ungelesen,
22.03.2017, 08:42:0322.03.17
an
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 4 - History - Mao's Century

> 1. 1912 saw the fall of China's last imperial dynasty and the
> birth of the Republic of China. Name China's last dynasty.

Qing

> 2. He was the spearhead of resistance to the <answer 1> Dynasty and,
> briefly, the first president of the Republic of China. There's a
> statue to him in Riverdale Park. Who was he?

Sun Yat Sen

> 3. In what year, exactly, was the People's Republic of China
> declared?

1949

> 4. Mao's cult of personality was advanced via one of the most widely
> distributed books in history, "The Quotations of Chairman Mao".
> By what nickname is this book informally known?

Little Red Book

> 5. Premier of the People's Republic and Mao's right-hand man, this
> dapper diplomat put a charming face on Mao's often-brutal
> policies. Name him.

Li Xinmi

> 6. Mao was succeeded by a political cabal styled the Gang of Four.
> Their leading figure was a woman. Who?

Mao's wife

> 7. After the arrest of the Gang of Four, China was led by one of
> the few long-time Communist party stalwarts who had managed to
> survive Mao's purges. He is credited with introducing the
> pragmatic market policies that have led to China's economic
> success. Name him.

Deng Xiaopeng

> 8. This conversation took place on 1972-02-01:

> "I used to assign the Chairman's collective writings to
> my classes at Harvard."

> "Those writings of mine aren't anything. There is nothing
> instructive in what I wrote."

> "The Chairman's writings moved a nation and have changed
> the world."

> The second person speaking was, of course, Chairman Mao himself.
> Name either of the other two.

Henry Kissinger

> 9. Please decode the rot13 for the last two questions *one at
> a time*, in each case only after you have finished with all
> earlier questions. Sebz 1958 gb 1961, gur Pbzzhavfg Cnegl haqre
> Znb ynhapurq n qvfnfgebhf pnzcnvta gb genafsbez Puvan sebz na
> ntevphygheny fbpvrgl gb na vaqhfgevny naq zvyvgnel cbjreubhfr.
> Ubj jnf guvf pnzcnvta xabja?

Great Leap Forward

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Arts & Literature - 10

> 1. American journalist John Reed's first-hand account of the
> Russian revolution provided the basis for the film Reds.
> Name it.

Seven Days in May

> 2. Widely considered to be Agatha Christie's most gripping novel,
> it was originally published in the UK under the title "Ten
> Little Niggers". Name either of the two titles used for most
> US editions of it.

And Then There Were None

> 3. The first film version of "The Ten Commandments" was a 1923
> silent. Name the director.

Cecil B. de Mille

> 4. In which book of the Bible are the Ten Commandments recorded?

Exodus

> 5. "Dekalog" is a 10-part Polish television series dramatizing
> each of the Ten Commandments. It was written and directed by
> one of Poland's most renowned cinema auteurs. Name him.

Kryzowsky

> 6. The Virgin Decalog was a series of short-story collections
> published by Virgin Publishing between 1994 and 1997, based on
> a long-running British television series. The protagonist of
> the series experienced his 10th incarnation from 2005 to 2010.
> Name the series.

Doctor Who

> 7. In this classic of world literature, penned by Giovanni Bocaccio
> in the 14th century, 10 young Florentines amuse themselves
> during an epidemic of the plague by each telling a story a day
> over the course of 10 days. Name the work.

The Decameron

> 8. This Italian director of the 1970s made a film of <answer 7>,
> a companion piece to his movie versions of the "Canterbury Tales"
> and the "Arabian Nights". Who?

Fellini; Antonioni

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Bruce

ungelesen,
22.03.2017, 10:18:4722.03.17
an
The Little Red Book

> 5. Premier of the People's Republic and Mao's right-hand man, this
> dapper diplomat put a charming face on Mao's often-brutal policies.
> Name him.
>
> 6. Mao was succeeded by a political cabal styled the Gang of Four.
> Their leading figure was a woman. Who?
>
> 7. After the arrest of the Gang of Four, China was led by one of
> the few long-time Communist party stalwarts who had managed to
> survive Mao's purges. He is credited with introducing the pragmatic
> market policies that have led to China's economic success. Name him.
>
> 8. This conversation took place on 1972-02-01:
>
> "I used to assign the Chairman's collective writings to
> my classes at Harvard."
>
> "Those writings of mine aren't anything. There is nothing
> instructive in what I wrote."
>
> "The Chairman's writings moved a nation and have changed
> the world."
>
> The second person speaking was, of course, Chairman Mao himself. Name
> either of the other two.

Nixon and Kissinger

> 9. Please decode the rot13 for the last two questions *one at
> a time*, in each case only after you have finished with all earlier
> questions. Sebz 1958 gb 1961, gur Pbzzhavfg Cnegl haqre Znb ynhapurq
> n qvfnfgebhf pnzcnvta gb genafsbez Puvan sebz na ntevphygheny fbpvrgl
> gb na vaqhfgevny naq zvyvgnel cbjreubhfr. Ubj jnf guvf pnzcnvta
> xabja?
>
> 10. Ng gur ortvaavat bs gur Phygheny Eribyhgvba bs 1966-68, snangvpny
> cnenzvyvgnel fghqrag tebhcf greebevmrq Puvan jvgu Znb'f nccebiny.
> Ol jung anzr jrer gurfr tebhcf xabja?
>

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Arts & Literature - 10
>
> Yes, it's Game 10! To mark the wrapping-up of another season of trivia,
> here are 10 book and film questions that are all about 10.
>
> Warning: this round may contain offensive language. Player discretion
> is advised.
>
> 1. American journalist John Reed's first-hand account of the
> Russian revolution provided the basis for the film Reds.
> Name it.
>
> 2. Widely considered to be Agatha Christie's most gripping novel,
> it was originally published in the UK under the title "Ten Little
> Niggers". Name either of the two titles used for most US editions of
> it.

Ten Little Indians

> 3. The first film version of "The Ten Commandments" was a 1923
> silent. Name the director.
>
> 4. In which book of the Bible are the Ten Commandments recorded?

Exodus

> 5. "Dekalog" is a 10-part Polish television series dramatizing
> each of the Ten Commandments. It was written and directed by one of
> Poland's most renowned cinema auteurs. Name him.
>
> 6. The Virgin Decalog was a series of short-story collections
> published by Virgin Publishing between 1994 and 1997, based on a
> long-running British television series. The protagonist of the
> series experienced his 10th incarnation from 2005 to 2010. Name the
> series.

Doctor Who

> 7. In this classic of world literature, penned by Giovanni Bocaccio
> in the 14th century, 10 young Florentines amuse themselves during an
> epidemic of the plague by each telling a story a day over the course
> of 10 days. Name the work.
>
> 8. This Italian director of the 1970s made a film of <answer 7>,
> a companion piece to his movie versions of the "Canterbury Tales"
> and the "Arabian Nights". Who?

Fellini

Marc Dashevsky

ungelesen,
22.03.2017, 10:52:3022.03.17
an
In article <VZKdnTbKc5Nlt0_F...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 10, Round 4 - History - Mao's Century
>
> That is, 20th-century China.
>
> 1. 1912 saw the fall of China's last imperial dynasty and the
> birth of the Republic of China. Name China's last dynasty.
>
> 2. He was the spearhead of resistance to the <answer 1> Dynasty and,
> briefly, the first president of the Republic of China. There's a
> statue to him in Riverdale Park. Who was he?
Sun Yat Sen

> 3. In what year, exactly, was the People's Republic of China
> declared?
>
> 4. Mao's cult of personality was advanced via one of the most widely
> distributed books in history, "The Quotations of Chairman Mao".
> By what nickname is this book informally known?
little red book

> 5. Premier of the People's Republic and Mao's right-hand man, this
> dapper diplomat put a charming face on Mao's often-brutal
> policies. Name him.
Deng Xiaoping

> 6. Mao was succeeded by a political cabal styled the Gang of Four.
> Their leading figure was a woman. Who?
Mao's wife

> 7. After the arrest of the Gang of Four, China was led by one of
> the few long-time Communist party stalwarts who had managed to
> survive Mao's purges. He is credited with introducing the
> pragmatic market policies that have led to China's economic
> success. Name him.
>
> 8. This conversation took place on 1972-02-01:
>
> "I used to assign the Chairman's collective writings to
> my classes at Harvard."
>
> "Those writings of mine aren't anything. There is nothing
> instructive in what I wrote."
>
> "The Chairman's writings moved a nation and have changed
> the world."
>
> The second person speaking was, of course, Chairman Mao himself.
> Name either of the other two.
Richard Nixon

> 9. From 1958 to 1961, the Communist Party under
> Mao launched a disastrous campaign to transform China from an
> agricultural society to an industrial and military powerhouse.
> How was this campaign known?
Great Leap Forard

> 10. At the beginning of the Cultural Revolution of 1966-68, fanatical
> paramilitary student groups terrorized China with Mao's approval.
> By what name were these groups known?
>

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Arts & Literature - 10
>
> Yes, it's Game 10! To mark the wrapping-up of another season of
> trivia, here are 10 book and film questions that are all about 10.
>
> Warning: this round may contain offensive language. Player
> discretion is advised.
>
> 1. American journalist John Reed's first-hand account of the
> Russian revolution provided the basis for the film Reds.
> Name it.
>
> 2. Widely considered to be Agatha Christie's most gripping novel,
> it was originally published in the UK under the title "Ten
> Little Niggers". Name either of the two titles used for most
> US editions of it.
And Then There Were None

> 3. The first film version of "The Ten Commandments" was a 1923
> silent. Name the director.
DeMille

> 4. In which book of the Bible are the Ten Commandments recorded?
Leviticus

> 5. "Dekalog" is a 10-part Polish television series dramatizing
> each of the Ten Commandments. It was written and directed by
> one of Poland's most renowned cinema auteurs. Name him.
The same guy who did the Three Colors trilogy.

> 6. The Virgin Decalog was a series of short-story collections
> published by Virgin Publishing between 1994 and 1997, based on
> a long-running British television series. The protagonist of
> the series experienced his 10th incarnation from 2005 to 2010.
> Name the series.
Dr Who

> 7. In this classic of world literature, penned by Giovanni Bocaccio
> in the 14th century, 10 young Florentines amuse themselves
> during an epidemic of the plague by each telling a story a day
> over the course of 10 days. Name the work.
>
> 8. This Italian director of the 1970s made a film of <answer 7>,
> a companion piece to his movie versions of the "Canterbury Tales"
> and the "Arabian Nights". Who?
Fellini

> 9. In this Graham Greene novel, one of the last he published,
> prisoners in a World War II concentration camp must draw lots
> to determine who will be executed. Commenting on his work,
> Greene said of it, "I prefer it in many ways to 'The Third Man'."
> Name the novel.
>
> 10. "Ten Lost Years", an oral history published in 1973, was a
> best-seller for Canadian historian Barry Broadfoot, and was
> later turned into a successful play. The title refers to the
> period of history known by *what name*?
The Depression

Erland Sommarskog

ungelesen,
22.03.2017, 15:41:3122.03.17
an
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 10, Round 4 - History - Mao's Century
>
> That is, 20th-century China.
>
> 1. 1912 saw the fall of China's last imperial dynasty and the
> birth of the Republic of China. Name China's last dynasty.

Qing

> 2. He was the spearhead of resistance to the <answer 1> Dynasty and,
> briefly, the first president of the Republic of China. There's a
> statue to him in Riverdale Park. Who was he?

Sun Yat-Sen

> 3. In what year, exactly, was the People's Republic of China
> declared?

1949

> 4. Mao's cult of personality was advanced via one of the most widely
> distributed books in history, "The Quotations of Chairman Mao".
> By what nickname is this book informally known?

Mao's Little Red

> 7. After the arrest of the Gang of Four, China was led by one of
> the few long-time Communist party stalwarts who had managed to
> survive Mao's purges. He is credited with introducing the
> pragmatic market policies that have led to China's economic
> success. Name him.

Deng Hsiao-Ping

> 9. Please decode the rot13 for the last two questions *one at
> a time*, in each case only after you have finished with all
> earlier questions. Sebz 1958 gb 1961, gur Pbzzhavfg Cnegl haqre
> Znb ynhapurq n qvfnfgebhf pnzcnvta gb genafsbez Puvan sebz na
> ntevphygheny fbpvrgl gb na vaqhfgevny naq zvyvgnel cbjreubhfr.
> Ubj jnf guvf pnzcnvta xabja?

The Big Leap

> 10. Ng gur ortvaavat bs gur Phygheny Eribyhgvba bs 1966-68, snangvpny
> cnenzvyvgnel fghqrag tebhcf greebevmrq Puvan jvgu Znb'f nccebiny.
> Ol jung anzr jrer gurfr tebhcf xabja?

Revolution Gardists

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Arts & Literature - 10
>
> 1. American journalist John Reed's first-hand account of the
> Russian revolution provided the basis for the film Reds.
> Name it.

Desyat' (It was about 10, wasn't it?)

> 4. In which book of the Bible are the Ten Commandments recorded?

2nd Book of Mooses

> 5. "Dekalog" is a 10-part Polish television series dramatizing
> each of the Ten Commandments. It was written and directed by
> one of Poland's most renowned cinema auteurs. Name him.

Kieslowski

> 8. This Italian director of the 1970s made a film of <answer 7>,
> a companion piece to his movie versions of the "Canterbury Tales"
> and the "Arabian Nights". Who?

Fellini

Erland Sommarskog

ungelesen,
22.03.2017, 17:57:5622.03.17
an
Erland Sommarskog (esq...@sommarskog.se) writes:
>> 4. Mao's cult of personality was advanced via one of the most widely
>> distributed books in history, "The Quotations of Chairman Mao".
>> By what nickname is this book informally known?
>
> Mao's Little Red

Having seen the other answers, I like to point out that this is the
translation of the name used in Swedish. I assumed that the name
would be the same in English, and I only wobbled whether to use
"Little" or "Small". Oh well.

Joshua Kreitzer

ungelesen,
23.03.2017, 00:39:5123.03.17
an
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:VZKdnTbKc5Nlt0_FnZ2dnUU7-
I_N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 10, Round 4 - History - Mao's Century
>
> That is, 20th-century China.
>
> 1. 1912 saw the fall of China's last imperial dynasty and the
> birth of the Republic of China. Name China's last dynasty.

Manchu

> 2. He was the spearhead of resistance to the <answer 1> Dynasty and,
> briefly, the first president of the Republic of China. There's a
> statue to him in Riverdale Park. Who was he?

Sun Yatsen

> 3. In what year, exactly, was the People's Republic of China
> declared?

1949

> 4. Mao's cult of personality was advanced via one of the most widely
> distributed books in history, "The Quotations of Chairman Mao".
> By what nickname is this book informally known?

Little Red Book

> 6. Mao was succeeded by a political cabal styled the Gang of Four.
> Their leading figure was a woman. Who?

Jiang Qing

> 7. After the arrest of the Gang of Four, China was led by one of
> the few long-time Communist party stalwarts who had managed to
> survive Mao's purges. He is credited with introducing the
> pragmatic market policies that have led to China's economic
> success. Name him.

Deng Xiaoping

> 8. This conversation took place on 1972-02-01:
>
> "I used to assign the Chairman's collective writings to
> my classes at Harvard."
>
> "Those writings of mine aren't anything. There is nothing
> instructive in what I wrote."
>
> "The Chairman's writings moved a nation and have changed
> the world."
>
> The second person speaking was, of course, Chairman Mao himself.
> Name either of the other two.

Henry Kissinger

> 9. Please decode the rot13 for the last two questions *one at
> a time*, in each case only after you have finished with all
> earlier questions. Sebz 1958 gb 1961, gur Pbzzhavfg Cnegl haqre
> Znb ynhapurq n qvfnfgebhf pnzcnvta gb genafsbez Puvan sebz na
> ntevphygheny fbpvrgl gb na vaqhfgevny naq zvyvgnel cbjreubhfr.
> Ubj jnf guvf pnzcnvta xabja?

Great Leap Forward

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Arts & Literature - 10
>
> Yes, it's Game 10! To mark the wrapping-up of another season of
> trivia, here are 10 book and film questions that are all about 10.
>
> 1. American journalist John Reed's first-hand account of the
> Russian revolution provided the basis for the film Reds.
> Name it.

"Ten Days that Shook the World"

> 2. Widely considered to be Agatha Christie's most gripping novel,
> it was originally published in the UK under the title "Ten
> Little N******". Name either of the two titles used for most
> US editions of it.

"And Then There Were None"

> 3. The first film version of "The Ten Commandments" was a 1923
> silent. Name the director.

Cecil B. De Mille

> 4. In which book of the Bible are the Ten Commandments recorded?

Exodus

> 5. "Dekalog" is a 10-part Polish television series dramatizing
> each of the Ten Commandments. It was written and directed by
> one of Poland's most renowned cinema auteurs. Name him.

Kieslowski

> 6. The Virgin Decalog was a series of short-story collections
> published by Virgin Publishing between 1994 and 1997, based on
> a long-running British television series. The protagonist of
> the series experienced his 10th incarnation from 2005 to 2010.
> Name the series.

"Doctor Who"

> 7. In this classic of world literature, penned by Giovanni Bocaccio
> in the 14th century, 10 young Florentines amuse themselves
> during an epidemic of the plague by each telling a story a day
> over the course of 10 days. Name the work.

Decameron

> 8. This Italian director of the 1970s made a film of <answer 7>,
> a companion piece to his movie versions of the "Canterbury Tales"
> and the "Arabian Nights". Who?

Pasolini

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Calvin

ungelesen,
23.03.2017, 00:41:2223.03.17
an
On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 5:42:53 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 4 - History - Mao's Century
>
> That is, 20th-century China.
>
> 1. 1912 saw the fall of China's last imperial dynasty and the
> birth of the Republic of China. Name China's last dynasty.

Ming, Qing

> 2. He was the spearhead of resistance to the <answer 1> Dynasty and,
> briefly, the first president of the Republic of China. There's a
> statue to him in Riverdale Park. Who was he?

Chiang Ki Shek

> 3. In what year, exactly, was the People's Republic of China
> declared?

1949, 1947

> 4. Mao's cult of personality was advanced via one of the most widely
> distributed books in history, "The Quotations of Chairman Mao".
> By what nickname is this book informally known?

Little Red Book

> 5. Premier of the People's Republic and Mao's right-hand man, this
> dapper diplomat put a charming face on Mao's often-brutal
> policies. Name him.

Zhou en Lai

> 6. Mao was succeeded by a political cabal styled the Gang of Four.
> Their leading figure was a woman. Who?
>
> 7. After the arrest of the Gang of Four, China was led by one of
> the few long-time Communist party stalwarts who had managed to
> survive Mao's purges. He is credited with introducing the
> pragmatic market policies that have led to China's economic
> success. Name him.

Deng Xiao Ping

> 8. This conversation took place on 1972-02-01:
>
> "I used to assign the Chairman's collective writings to
> my classes at Harvard."
>
> "Those writings of mine aren't anything. There is nothing
> instructive in what I wrote."
>
> "The Chairman's writings moved a nation and have changed
> the world."
>
> The second person speaking was, of course, Chairman Mao himself.
> Name either of the other two.

Nixon

> 9. Please decode the rot13 for the last two questions *one at
> a time*, in each case only after you have finished with all
> earlier questions. Sebz 1958 gb 1961, gur Pbzzhavfg Cnegl haqre
> Znb ynhapurq n qvfnfgebhf pnzcnvta gb genafsbez Puvan sebz na
> ntevphygheny fbpvrgl gb na vaqhfgevny naq zvyvgnel cbjreubhfr.
> Ubj jnf guvf pnzcnvta xabja?

Great Leap Forward

> 10. Ng gur ortvaavat bs gur Phygheny Eribyhgvba bs 1966-68, snangvpny
> cnenzvyvgnel fghqrag tebhcf greebevmrq Puvan jvgu Znb'f nccebiny.
> Ol jung anzr jrer gurfr tebhcf xabja?

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Arts & Literature - 10
>
> Yes, it's Game 10! To mark the wrapping-up of another season of
> trivia, here are 10 book and film questions that are all about 10.
>
> Warning: this round may contain offensive language. Player
> discretion is advised.
>
> 1. American journalist John Reed's first-hand account of the
> Russian revolution provided the basis for the film Reds.
> Name it.
>
> 2. Widely considered to be Agatha Christie's most gripping novel,
> it was originally published in the UK under the title "Ten
> Little Niggers". Name either of the two titles used for most
> US editions of it.

Ten Little Indians

> 3. The first film version of "The Ten Commandments" was a 1923
> silent. Name the director.
>
> 4. In which book of the Bible are the Ten Commandments recorded?

Leviticus, Numbers

> 5. "Dekalog" is a 10-part Polish television series dramatizing
> each of the Ten Commandments. It was written and directed by
> one of Poland's most renowned cinema auteurs. Name him.
>
> 6. The Virgin Decalog was a series of short-story collections
> published by Virgin Publishing between 1994 and 1997, based on
> a long-running British television series. The protagonist of
> the series experienced his 10th incarnation from 2005 to 2010.
> Name the series.

Dr Who

> 7. In this classic of world literature, penned by Giovanni Bocaccio
> in the 14th century, 10 young Florentines amuse themselves
> during an epidemic of the plague by each telling a story a day
> over the course of 10 days. Name the work.

Decameron

> 8. This Italian director of the 1970s made a film of <answer 7>,
> a companion piece to his movie versions of the "Canterbury Tales"
> and the "Arabian Nights". Who?

Zefferelli

> 9. In this Graham Greene novel, one of the last he published,
> prisoners in a World War II concentration camp must draw lots
> to determine who will be executed. Commenting on his work,
> Greene said of it, "I prefer it in many ways to 'The Third Man'."
> Name the novel.
>
> 10. "Ten Lost Years", an oral history published in 1973, was a
> best-seller for Canadian historian Barry Broadfoot, and was
> later turned into a successful play. The title refers to the
> period of history known by *what name*?

Great Depression?

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

ungelesen,
23.03.2017, 02:37:5923.03.17
an
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 4 - History - Mao's Century
>
> That is, 20th-century China.
>
> 1. 1912 saw the fall of China's last imperial dynasty and the
> birth of the Republic of China. Name China's last dynasty.

Qing

> 2. He was the spearhead of resistance to the <answer 1> Dynasty and,
> briefly, the first president of the Republic of China. There's a
> statue to him in Riverdale Park. Who was he?

Sun Yat Sen

> 3. In what year, exactly, was the People's Republic of China
> declared?

1949

> 4. Mao's cult of personality was advanced via one of the most widely
> distributed books in history, "The Quotations of Chairman Mao".
> By what nickname is this book informally known?

Little Red Book

> 5. Premier of the People's Republic and Mao's right-hand man, this
> dapper diplomat put a charming face on Mao's often-brutal
> policies. Name him.

Zhou Enlai

> 6. Mao was succeeded by a political cabal styled the Gang of Four.
> Their leading figure was a woman. Who?

his wife (alas, can't remember her name)

> 7. After the arrest of the Gang of Four, China was led by one of
> the few long-time Communist party stalwarts who had managed to
> survive Mao's purges. He is credited with introducing the
> pragmatic market policies that have led to China's economic
> success. Name him.

Deng Xiaoping

> 8. This conversation took place on 1972-02-01:
>
> "I used to assign the Chairman's collective writings to
> my classes at Harvard."
>
> "Those writings of mine aren't anything. There is nothing
> instructive in what I wrote."
>
> "The Chairman's writings moved a nation and have changed
> the world."
>
> The second person speaking was, of course, Chairman Mao himself.
> Name either of the other two.

Henry Kissinger

> 9. Please decode the rot13 for the last two questions *one at
> a time*, in each case only after you have finished with all
> earlier questions. Sebz 1958 gb 1961, gur Pbzzhavfg Cnegl haqre
> Znb ynhapurq n qvfnfgebhf pnzcnvta gb genafsbez Puvan sebz na
> ntevphygheny fbpvrgl gb na vaqhfgevny naq zvyvgnel cbjreubhfr.
> Ubj jnf guvf pnzcnvta xabja?

Great Leap Forward

> 10. Ng gur ortvaavat bs gur Phygheny Eribyhgvba bs 1966-68, snangvpny
> cnenzvyvgnel fghqrag tebhcf greebevmrq Puvan jvgu Znb'f nccebiny.
> Ol jung anzr jrer gurfr tebhcf xabja?

Red Brigades

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Arts & Literature - 10
>
> Yes, it's Game 10! To mark the wrapping-up of another season of
> trivia, here are 10 book and film questions that are all about 10.
>
> Warning: this round may contain offensive language. Player
> discretion is advised.
>
> 1. American journalist John Reed's first-hand account of the
> Russian revolution provided the basis for the film Reds.
> Name it.

Ten Days that Shook the World

> 2. Widely considered to be Agatha Christie's most gripping novel,
> it was originally published in the UK under the title "Ten
> Little Niggers". Name either of the two titles used for most
> US editions of it.

Ten Little Indians

> 3. The first film version of "The Ten Commandments" was a 1923
> silent. Name the director.

Cecil B deMille

> 4. In which book of the Bible are the Ten Commandments recorded?

Exodus

> 5. "Dekalog" is a 10-part Polish television series dramatizing
> each of the Ten Commandments. It was written and directed by
> one of Poland's most renowned cinema auteurs. Name him.

Roman Polanski

> 6. The Virgin Decalog was a series of short-story collections
> published by Virgin Publishing between 1994 and 1997, based on
> a long-running British television series. The protagonist of
> the series experienced his 10th incarnation from 2005 to 2010.
> Name the series.

Doctor Who

> 7. In this classic of world literature, penned by Giovanni Bocaccio
> in the 14th century, 10 young Florentines amuse themselves
> during an epidemic of the plague by each telling a story a day
> over the course of 10 days. Name the work.
>
> 8. This Italian director of the 1970s made a film of <answer 7>,
> a companion piece to his movie versions of the "Canterbury Tales"
> and the "Arabian Nights". Who?

Fellini

> 9. In this Graham Greene novel, one of the last he published,
> prisoners in a World War II concentration camp must draw lots
> to determine who will be executed. Commenting on his work,
> Greene said of it, "I prefer it in many ways to 'The Third Man'."
> Name the novel.
>
> 10. "Ten Lost Years", an oral history published in 1973, was a
> best-seller for Canadian historian Barry Broadfoot, and was
> later turned into a successful play. The title refers to the
> period of history known by *what name*?

The Lost Generation

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Tilque

ungelesen,
23.03.2017, 02:44:4923.03.17
an
Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:

>> 4. In which book of the Bible are the Ten Commandments recorded?
>>

> 2nd Book of Mooses

Just what the Bible needs, more mooses.

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

ungelesen,
23.03.2017, 08:56:4523.03.17
an
More? Is there any of them at this point? I know that there are camels, but
mooses?

(I will have to say that was one of my better typos.)

Gareth Owen

ungelesen,
23.03.2017, 16:13:1623.03.17
an
Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> writes:

> Dan Tilque (dti...@frontier.com) writes:
>> Erland Sommarskog wrote:

>>> 2nd Book of Mooses
>>
>> Just what the Bible needs, more mooses.
>>

> More? Is there any of them at this point? I know that there are camels, but
> mooses?
>
> (I will have to say that was one of my better typos.)

I just assumed you had a copy of the Good Gnus Bible

Jason Kreitzer

ungelesen,
23.03.2017, 21:52:0923.03.17
an
On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 3:42:53 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-28,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 10, Round 4 - History - Mao's Century
>
> That is, 20th-century China.
>
> 1. 1912 saw the fall of China's last imperial dynasty and the
> birth of the Republic of China. Name China's last dynasty.
>
> 2. He was the spearhead of resistance to the <answer 1> Dynasty and,
> briefly, the first president of the Republic of China. There's a
> statue to him in Riverdale Park. Who was he?
>
> 3. In what year, exactly, was the People's Republic of China
> declared?
1949
> 4. Mao's cult of personality was advanced via one of the most widely
> distributed books in history, "The Quotations of Chairman Mao".
> By what nickname is this book informally known?
"The Little Red Book"
"Ten Little Indians"
> 3. The first film version of "The Ten Commandments" was a 1923
> silent. Name the director.
Cecil DeMille
> 4. In which book of the Bible are the Ten Commandments recorded?
"Exodus"
> 5. "Dekalog" is a 10-part Polish television series dramatizing
> each of the Ten Commandments. It was written and directed by
> one of Poland's most renowned cinema auteurs. Name him.
>
> 6. The Virgin Decalog was a series of short-story collections
> published by Virgin Publishing between 1994 and 1997, based on
> a long-running British television series. The protagonist of
> the series experienced his 10th incarnation from 2005 to 2010.
> Name the series.
>
> 7. In this classic of world literature, penned by Giovanni Bocaccio
> in the 14th century, 10 young Florentines amuse themselves
> during an epidemic of the plague by each telling a story a day
> over the course of 10 days. Name the work.
"The Decameron"
> 8. This Italian director of the 1970s made a film of <answer 7>,
> a companion piece to his movie versions of the "Canterbury Tales"
> and the "Arabian Nights". Who?
Pier Paolo Pasolini

Pete Gayde

ungelesen,
24.03.2017, 20:27:5924.03.17
an
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:VZKdnTbKc5Nlt0_FnZ2dnUU7-
I_N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-28,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 10, Round 4 - History - Mao's Century
>
> That is, 20th-century China.
>
> 1. 1912 saw the fall of China's last imperial dynasty and the
> birth of the Republic of China. Name China's last dynasty.

Ming; Qing

> 2. He was the spearhead of resistance to the <answer 1> Dynasty and,
> briefly, the first president of the Republic of China. There's a
> statue to him in Riverdale Park. Who was he?

Sun Yat Sen

> 3. In what year, exactly, was the People's Republic of China
> declared?

1948; 1949

> 4. Mao's cult of personality was advanced via one of the most widely
> distributed books in history, "The Quotations of Chairman Mao".
> By what nickname is this book informally known?

Little Red Book

> 5. Premier of the People's Republic and Mao's right-hand man, this
> dapper diplomat put a charming face on Mao's often-brutal
> policies. Name him.

Chou En Lai

> 6. Mao was succeeded by a political cabal styled the Gang of Four.
> Their leading figure was a woman. Who?

Mao's wife

> 7. After the arrest of the Gang of Four, China was led by one of
> the few long-time Communist party stalwarts who had managed to
> survive Mao's purges. He is credited with introducing the
> pragmatic market policies that have led to China's economic
> success. Name him.
>
> 8. This conversation took place on 1972-02-01:
>
> "I used to assign the Chairman's collective writings to
> my classes at Harvard."
>
> "Those writings of mine aren't anything. There is nothing
> instructive in what I wrote."
>
> "The Chairman's writings moved a nation and have changed
> the world."
>
> The second person speaking was, of course, Chairman Mao himself.
> Name either of the other two.

Chomsky

> 9. Please decode the rot13 for the last two questions *one at
> a time*, in each case only after you have finished with all
> earlier questions. Sebz 1958 gb 1961, gur Pbzzhavfg Cnegl haqre
> Znb ynhapurq n qvfnfgebhf pnzcnvta gb genafsbez Puvan sebz na
> ntevphygheny fbpvrgl gb na vaqhfgevny naq zvyvgnel cbjreubhfr.
> Ubj jnf guvf pnzcnvta xabja?
>
> 10. Ng gur ortvaavat bs gur Phygheny Eribyhgvba bs 1966-68, snangvpny
> cnenzvyvgnel fghqrag tebhcf greebevmrq Puvan jvgu Znb'f nccebiny.
> Ol jung anzr jrer gurfr tebhcf xabja?
>

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Arts & Literature - 10
>
> Yes, it's Game 10! To mark the wrapping-up of another season of
> trivia, here are 10 book and film questions that are all about 10.
>
> Warning: this round may contain offensive language. Player
> discretion is advised.
>
> 1. American journalist John Reed's first-hand account of the
> Russian revolution provided the basis for the film Reds.
> Name it.
>
> 2. Widely considered to be Agatha Christie's most gripping novel,
> it was originally published in the UK under the title "Ten
> Little Niggers". Name either of the two titles used for most
> US editions of it.

Ten Little Indians

> 3. The first film version of "The Ten Commandments" was a 1923
> silent. Name the director.

DeMille

> 4. In which book of the Bible are the Ten Commandments recorded?

Exodus

> 5. "Dekalog" is a 10-part Polish television series dramatizing
> each of the Ten Commandments. It was written and directed by
> one of Poland's most renowned cinema auteurs. Name him.

Polansky

> 6. The Virgin Decalog was a series of short-story collections
> published by Virgin Publishing between 1994 and 1997, based on
> a long-running British television series. The protagonist of
> the series experienced his 10th incarnation from 2005 to 2010.
> Name the series.

Dr Who

> 7. In this classic of world literature, penned by Giovanni Bocaccio
> in the 14th century, 10 young Florentines amuse themselves
> during an epidemic of the plague by each telling a story a day
> over the course of 10 days. Name the work.
>
> 8. This Italian director of the 1970s made a film of <answer 7>,
> a companion piece to his movie versions of the "Canterbury Tales"
> and the "Arabian Nights". Who?

Fellini

> 9. In this Graham Greene novel, one of the last he published,
> prisoners in a World War II concentration camp must draw lots
> to determine who will be executed. Commenting on his work,
> Greene said of it, "I prefer it in many ways to 'The Third Man'."
> Name the novel.
>
> 10. "Ten Lost Years", an oral history published in 1973, was a
> best-seller for Canadian historian Barry Broadfoot, and was
> later turned into a successful play. The title refers to the
> period of history known by *what name*?

Pete Gayde

---
http://www.avg.com

Mark Brader

ungelesen,
25.03.2017, 00:53:1825.03.17
an
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-28,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 10, Round 4 - History - Mao's Century

> That is, 20th-century China.

> 1. 1912 saw the fall of China's last imperial dynasty and the
> birth of the Republic of China. Name China's last dynasty.

Qing ["Ching"] or Manchu. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque. 2 for Calvin and Pete.

> 2. He was the spearhead of resistance to the <answer 1> Dynasty and,
> briefly, the first president of the Republic of China. There's a
> statue to him in Riverdale Park. Who was he?

Sun Yat-Sen. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

> 3. In what year, exactly, was the People's Republic of China
> declared?

1949. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Jason.
3 for Calvin. 2 for Pete.

> 4. Mao's cult of personality was advanced via one of the most widely
> distributed books in history, "The Quotations of Chairman Mao".
> By what nickname is this book informally known?

The little red book. I decided that "little red" was sufficient.
4 for everyone -- Peter, Dan Blum, Bruce, Marc, Erland, Joshua,
Calvin, Dan Tilque, Jason, and Pete.

> 5. Premier of the People's Republic and Mao's right-hand man, this
> dapper diplomat put a charming face on Mao's often-brutal
> policies. Name him.

Chou En-Lai. 4 for Calvin, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 6. Mao was succeeded by a political cabal styled the Gang of Four.
> Their leading figure was a woman. Who?

Mao's wife (anything to that effect was acceptable), Jiang Qing.
4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 7. After the arrest of the Gang of Four, China was led by one of
> the few long-time Communist party stalwarts who had managed to
> survive Mao's purges. He is credited with introducing the
> pragmatic market policies that have led to China's economic
> success. Name him.

Deng Xiao-Ping. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, Calvin,
and Dan Tilque.

> 8. This conversation took place on 1972-02-01:

> "I used to assign the Chairman's collective writings to
> my classes at Harvard."

> "Those writings of mine aren't anything. There is nothing
> instructive in what I wrote."

> "The Chairman's writings moved a nation and have changed
> the world."

> The second person speaking was, of course, Chairman Mao himself.
> Name either of the other two.

Henry Kissinger, Richard Nixon. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Bruce (the
hard way), Marc, Joshua, Calvin, and Dan Tilque.

> 9. Please decode the rot13 for the last two questions *one at
> a time*, in each case only after you have finished with all
> earlier questions. From 1958 to 1961, the Communist Party under
> Mao launched a disastrous campaign to transform China from an
> agricultural society to an industrial and military powerhouse.
> How was this campaign known?

Great Leap Forward. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Marc, Joshua, Calvin,
and Dan Tilque. 3 for Erland.

> 10. At the beginning of the Cultural Revolution of 1966-68, fanatical
> paramilitary student groups terrorized China with Mao's approval.
> By what name were these groups known?

Red Guards.

I did not accept "Red Brigades", which was the English name of an
Italian terrorist-type group.

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Arts & Literature - 10

> Yes, it's Game 10! To mark the wrapping-up of another season of
> trivia, here are 10 book and film questions that are all about 10.

> Warning: this round may contain offensive language. Player
> discretion is advised.

This was the easiest round in the original game, and the 4th-easiest
of the entire season.

> 1. American journalist John Reed's first-hand account of the
> Russian revolution provided the basis for the film Reds.
> Name it.

"Ten Days that Shook the World". 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> 2. Widely considered to be Agatha Christie's most gripping novel,
> it was originally published in the UK under the title "Ten
> Little Niggers". Name either of the two titles used for most
> US editions of it.

"And Then There Were None", "Ten Little Indians". 4 for Peter,
Dan Blum, Bruce, Marc, Joshua, Calvin, Dan Tilque, Jason, and Pete.

Whoever wrote this question for the original name was under the
impression that "Ten Little Indians" was the UK title while "And
Then There Were None" was the US title. I figured that the above
was the best way to correct it.

"Ten Little Indians" *was* the title of the original American song
(by Septimus Winner, who also wrote "Where Oh Where Has My Little
Dog Gone?") -- although the word actually used within the rhyme was
"Injuns". It was rewritten, with many changes, for the British music
halls by Frank Green as "Ten Little Niggers" and Christie based her
novel on that version.

Since the story depended on the details of Green's version, the US
publishers did not revert to Winner's version of the rhyme, but
simply changed the word "nigger" and any variations to "Indian"
not only in Green's rhyme but throughout the book. (For example,
the island where the story is set became Indian Island, and resembled
the profile of "an American Indian" rather than "a Negroid".)

Movie and stage versions have been produced in various languages under
all three of the above titles or their translations as applicable,
and the novel was also published at least once as "The Nursery
Rhyme Murders".

> 3. The first film version of "The Ten Commandments" was a 1923
> silent. Name the director.

Cecil B. DeMille. (He remade his own movie in 1956.) 4 for Dan Blum,
Marc, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Jason, and Pete.

> 4. In which book of the Bible are the Ten Commandments recorded?

There are actually two versions. The one usually quoted is in
Exodus, chapter 20, but there's another, slightly different# one in
Deuteronomy, chapter 5. Either book was acceptable. 4 for Peter,
Dan Blum, Bruce, Eerland, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Jason, and Pete.

#-For example, in the King James Version, Exodus 20:8 has "Remember
the sabbath day, to keep it holy" while Deuteronomy 5:12 makes it
"Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the Lord thy God hath
commanded thee."

Incidentally, both versions are about 16 verses long, but still
another passage of the Bible (Deuteronomy 4:13) that says that the
list includes 10 commandments. Consequently people had to decide
which verses started a new commandment and, I understand, three
different choices have been made -- one each used today by Jews,
by most Protestants, and by Lutherans and Catholics.

> 5. "Dekalog" is a 10-part Polish television series dramatizing
> each of the Ten Commandments. It was written and directed by
> one of Poland's most renowned cinema auteurs. Name him.

Krzysztof Kieslowski. 4 for Erland and Joshua. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 6. The Virgin Decalog was a series of short-story collections
> published by Virgin Publishing between 1994 and 1997, based on
> a long-running British television series. The protagonist of
> the series experienced his 10th incarnation from 2005 to 2010.
> Name the series.

"Doctor Who". 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Bruce, Marc, Joshua, Calvin,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 7. In this classic of world literature, penned by Giovanni Bocaccio
> in the 14th century, 10 young Florentines amuse themselves
> during an epidemic of the plague by each telling a story a day
> over the course of 10 days. Name the work.

"Decameron". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Calvin, and Jason.

> 8. This Italian director of the 1970s made a film of <answer 7>,
> a companion piece to his movie versions of the "Canterbury Tales"
> and the "Arabian Nights". Who?

Pier Paolo Pasolini. 4 for Joshua and Jason.

> 9. In this Graham Greene novel, one of the last he published,
> prisoners in a World War II concentration camp must draw lots
> to determine who will be executed. Commenting on his work,
> Greene said of it, "I prefer it in many ways to 'The Third Man'."
> Name the novel.

"The Tenth Man".

> 10. "Ten Lost Years", an oral history published in 1973, was a
> best-seller for Canadian historian Barry Broadfoot, and was
> later turned into a successful play. The title refers to the
> period of history known by *what name*?

Great Depression. 4 for Peter, Marc, and Calvin.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 10 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Spo His Lit
Dan Tilque 20 12 36 20 88
Joshua Kreitzer 12 12 32 32 88
Dan Blum 16 10 32 23 81
Pete Gayde 9 20 20 16 65
"Calvin" 0 22 25 16 63
Peter Smyth 0 32 12 16 60
Erland Sommarskog 4 12 23 8 47
Bruce Bowler 8 19 8 12 47
Marc Dashevsky 4 4 20 16 44
Don Piven 23 12 -- -- 35
Jason Kreitzer 0 0 8 20 28

--
Mark Brader | "I do not think about things that I do not think about."
Toronto | "Do you ever think about things that you *do* think about?"