RQFTCI07 Game 6 Rounds 8,10: games, challenge round

Mark Brader

Aug 29, 2020, 10:32:30 PM8/29/20
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2007-02-26,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

** Game 6, Round 8 - Leisure - Games

These are mostly board games that families might play at home.
Name them.

1. During the play of this game you might hear the phrase "Corner
on corn!" The game was inspired by the US Corn Exchange and
was first sold by Parker Brothers in 1904.

2. This game was introduced in 1963: among other objects, the
playing mechanism includes a rickety staircase, a hanging boot,
and a bathtub.

3. This game, dating from Victorian times, is played on a square
grid; players move their pieces according to the throw of a die
or the movement of a spinner. Some versions have illustrations
that teach morality lessons: good children are rewarded and
misbehaving ones suffer a fall.

4. The playing pieces in a """current""" US version of this game
include a box of McDonald's french fries, a cup of Starbucks
coffee, a Toyota Prius, a cell phone, and a laptop.

5. The board for this game, originally published in the UK by
Waddington's in 1948, includes four secret passages.

6. This game was first manufactured by Parker Brothers in 1955,
and was devised by a sociologist. Players attempt to maximize
their fame, happiness, and/or money.

7. This game was first manufactured by Milton Bradley in 1965.
You may run up against a broken heart, writer's cramp, and
butterflies in the stomach.

8. This game for young children was first published by Milton
Bradley in 1949. Be careful: you might find yourself trapped
in Molasses Swamp.

9. This game dates from the 1860s (yes, really). Players can
graduate from college, get a job, buy a house, and retire.

10. In this French card game, you can run out of gas or have a
flat tire.

** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round

* A. Agatha Christie Characters

A1. Christie's best-known male detective was featured in such
works as "The Mysterious Affair at Styles", "Murder on
the Orient Express", "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd", and
"Curtain". *What country* was he from, before he moved
to England?

A2. Christie's best-known female detective was featured in
such works as "The Body in the Library", "The Mirror
Crack'd from Side to Side", "A Murder is Announced",
"Sleeping Murder", and "4.50 from Paddington" (also known
as "Murder She Said"). *What village* did she live in?

* B. As Doctor Who

B1. Within 1, how many people """have played""" the Doctor as
a regular role on the TV series "Doctor Who"? *Note*:
You may either give the originally correct answer or the
current one, but you must say which one you are giving.

B2. Name *any one of the first four* actors to play the Doctor,
i.e. those on the show from 1963 through early 1981.

* C. Canadian Bays

C1. Chaleur Bay lies off the coast of what *two* provinces
or territories?

C2. What provincial capital is on the coast very close to
Hillsborough Bay?

* D. #6 for the Leafs

D1. In a 1933 game with Boston, this Toronto Maple Leafs star
was checked by Eddie Shore so hard that his head hit the
ice and his death was feared. He actually lived until 1992,
but never played again, and the Leafs retired his sweater #6.
Name him.

D2. This Leafs player became "two numbers lighter" in 1968
when <answer D1>, now the Maple Leaf Gardens timekeeper,
asked the team to give the player the honor of wearing his
retired number. Name the star who would wear #6 for the
rest of his career.

* E. Ologies

E1. What word ending in -ology means the study of reptiles?
E2. What word ending in -ology means the study of flags?

* F. Pilots named Yeager

F1. Chuck Yeager was the first pilot to fly faster than sound.
Within 2, what year was that?

F2. Jeana Yeager -- no relation to Chuck -- set *what record*
for a nonstop flight together with Dick Rutan in a specially
built plane in December 1986? Exact description required.

--
Mark Brader "How can we believe that?"
Toronto "Because this time it's true!"

Joshua Kreitzer

Aug 29, 2020, 11:05:12 PM8/29/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:P8GdnfuIV4YkktbCnZ2dnUU7-
aXN...@giganews.com:

> ** Game 6, Round 8 - Leisure - Games
>
> These are mostly board games that families might play at home.
> Name them.
>
> 1. During the play of this game you might hear the phrase "Corner
> on corn!" The game was inspired by the US Corn Exchange and
> was first sold by Parker Brothers in 1904.

Pit

> 3. This game, dating from Victorian times, is played on a square
> grid; players move their pieces according to the throw of a die
> or the movement of a spinner. Some versions have illustrations
> that teach morality lessons: good children are rewarded and
> misbehaving ones suffer a fall.

Chutes and Ladders

> 5. The board for this game, originally published in the UK by
> Waddington's in 1948, includes four secret passages.

Cluedo

> 7. This game was first manufactured by Milton Bradley in 1965.
> You may run up against a broken heart, writer's cramp, and
> butterflies in the stomach.

Operation

> 8. This game for young children was first published by Milton
> Bradley in 1949. Be careful: you might find yourself trapped
> in Molasses Swamp.

Candy Land

> 9. This game dates from the 1860s (yes, really). Players can
> graduate from college, get a job, buy a house, and retire.

The Game of Life

> 10. In this French card game, you can run out of gas or have a
> flat tire.

Mille Bornes

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Agatha Christie Characters
>
> A1. Christie's best-known male detective was featured in such
> works as "The Mysterious Affair at Styles", "Murder on
> the Orient Express", "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd", and
> "Curtain". *What country* was he from, before he moved
> to England?

Belgium

> * B. As Doctor Who
>
> B1. Within 1, how many people """have played""" the Doctor as
> a regular role on the TV series "Doctor Who"? *Note*:
> You may either give the originally correct answer or the
> current one, but you must say which one you are giving.

12 (current answer)

> B2. Name *any one of the first four* actors to play the Doctor,
> i.e. those on the show from 1963 through early 1981.

Tom Baker

> * C. Canadian Bays
>
> C2. What provincial capital is on the coast very close to
> Hillsborough Bay?

Tampa ;)

> * E. Ologies
>
> E1. What word ending in -ology means the study of reptiles?

herpetology

> E2. What word ending in -ology means the study of flags?

vexillology

> * F. Pilots named Yeager
>
> F1. Chuck Yeager was the first pilot to fly faster than sound.
> Within 2, what year was that?

1949

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 30, 2020, 6:38:59 AM8/30/20
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 6, Round 8 - Leisure - Games
>
> 4. The playing pieces in a """current""" US version of this game
> include a box of McDonald's french fries, a cup of Starbucks
> coffee, a Toyota Prius, a cell phone, and a laptop.

Monopoly

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Agatha Christie Characters
>
> A1. Christie's best-known male detective was featured in such
> works as "The Mysterious Affair at Styles", "Murder on
> the Orient Express", "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd", and
> "Curtain". *What country* was he from, before he moved
> to England?

Belgium

> C2. What provincial capital is on the coast very close to
> Hillsborough Bay?

Halifax?

> F1. Chuck Yeager was the first pilot to fly faster than sound.
> Within 2, what year was that?

1944

Dan Blum

Aug 30, 2020, 11:57:01 AM8/30/20
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 6, Round 8 - Leisure - Games

> 1. During the play of this game you might hear the phrase "Corner
> on corn!" The game was inspired by the US Corn Exchange and
> was first sold by Parker Brothers in 1904.

Pit

> 2. This game was introduced in 1963: among other objects, the
> playing mechanism includes a rickety staircase, a hanging boot,
> and a bathtub.

Mouse Trap

> 3. This game, dating from Victorian times, is played on a square
> grid; players move their pieces according to the throw of a die
> or the movement of a spinner. Some versions have illustrations
> that teach morality lessons: good children are rewarded and
> misbehaving ones suffer a fall.

Chutes & Ladders

> 4. The playing pieces in a """current""" US version of this game
> include a box of McDonald's french fries, a cup of Starbucks
> coffee, a Toyota Prius, a cell phone, and a laptop.

Monopoly

> 5. The board for this game, originally published in the UK by
> Waddington's in 1948, includes four secret passages.

Clue

> 6. This game was first manufactured by Parker Brothers in 1955,
> and was devised by a sociologist. Players attempt to maximize
> their fame, happiness, and/or money.

Careers

> 7. This game was first manufactured by Milton Bradley in 1965.
> You may run up against a broken heart, writer's cramp, and
> butterflies in the stomach.

Operation

> 8. This game for young children was first published by Milton
> Bradley in 1949. Be careful: you might find yourself trapped
> in Molasses Swamp.

Candyland

> 9. This game dates from the 1860s (yes, really). Players can
> graduate from college, get a job, buy a house, and retire.

The Game of Life

The modern version of this is very different from the 19th-century
one. I wouldn't call them the same game.

> 10. In this French card game, you can run out of gas or have a
> flat tire.

Mille Bornes

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Agatha Christie Characters

> A1. Christie's best-known male detective was featured in such
> works as "The Mysterious Affair at Styles", "Murder on
> the Orient Express", "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd", and
> "Curtain". *What country* was he from, before he moved
> to England?

Belgium

> A2. Christie's best-known female detective was featured in
> such works as "The Body in the Library", "The Mirror
> Crack'd from Side to Side", "A Murder is Announced",
> "Sleeping Murder", and "4.50 from Paddington" (also known
> as "Murder She Said"). *What village* did she live in?

St. Mary Mead

> * B. As Doctor Who

> B1. Within 1, how many people """have played""" the Doctor as
> a regular role on the TV series "Doctor Who"? *Note*:
> You may either give the originally correct answer or the
> current one, but you must say which one you are giving.

current: 13

> B2. Name *any one of the first four* actors to play the Doctor,
> i.e. those on the show from 1963 through early 1981.

Pertwee

> * C. Canadian Bays

> C1. Chaleur Bay lies off the coast of what *two* provinces
> or territories?

New Brunswick and Nova Scotia

> * E. Ologies

> E1. What word ending in -ology means the study of reptiles?

herpetology

> E2. What word ending in -ology means the study of flags?

vexillology

> * F. Pilots named Yeager

> F1. Chuck Yeager was the first pilot to fly faster than sound.
> Within 2, what year was that?

1956

> F2. Jeana Yeager -- no relation to Chuck -- set *what record*
> for a nonstop flight together with Dick Rutan in a specially
> built plane in December 1986? Exact description required.

first nonstop flight around the world in a human-powered plane

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Pete Gayde

Aug 30, 2020, 9:11:48 PM8/30/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:P8GdnfuIV4YkktbCnZ2dnUU7-
aXN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2007-02-26,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
> may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> ** Game 6, Round 8 - Leisure - Games
>
> These are mostly board games that families might play at home.
> Name them.
>
> 1. During the play of this game you might hear the phrase "Corner
> on corn!" The game was inspired by the US Corn Exchange and
> was first sold by Parker Brothers in 1904.
>
> 2. This game was introduced in 1963: among other objects, the
> playing mechanism includes a rickety staircase, a hanging boot,
> and a bathtub.

Mouse Trap

> 3. This game, dating from Victorian times, is played on a square
> grid; players move their pieces according to the throw of a die
> or the movement of a spinner. Some versions have illustrations
> that teach morality lessons: good children are rewarded and
> misbehaving ones suffer a fall.
>
> 4. The playing pieces in a """current""" US version of this game
> include a box of McDonald's french fries, a cup of Starbucks
> coffee, a Toyota Prius, a cell phone, and a laptop.
>
> 5. The board for this game, originally published in the UK by
> Waddington's in 1948, includes four secret passages.

Clue

> 6. This game was first manufactured by Parker Brothers in 1955,
> and was devised by a sociologist. Players attempt to maximize
> their fame, happiness, and/or money.
>
> 7. This game was first manufactured by Milton Bradley in 1965.
> You may run up against a broken heart, writer's cramp, and
> butterflies in the stomach.
>
> 8. This game for young children was first published by Milton
> Bradley in 1949. Be careful: you might find yourself trapped
> in Molasses Swamp.

Candyland

> 9. This game dates from the 1860s (yes, really). Players can
> graduate from college, get a job, buy a house, and retire.

Game of Life

> 10. In this French card game, you can run out of gas or have a
> flat tire.

Milles Borne

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Agatha Christie Characters
>
> A1. Christie's best-known male detective was featured in such
> works as "The Mysterious Affair at Styles", "Murder on
> the Orient Express", "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd", and
> "Curtain". *What country* was he from, before he moved
> to England?

Belgium

> A2. Christie's best-known female detective was featured in
> such works as "The Body in the Library", "The Mirror
> Crack'd from Side to Side", "A Murder is Announced",
> "Sleeping Murder", and "4.50 from Paddington" (also known
> as "Murder She Said"). *What village* did she live in?
>

> * B. As Doctor Who
>
> B1. Within 1, how many people """have played""" the Doctor as
> a regular role on the TV series "Doctor Who"? *Note*:
> You may either give the originally correct answer or the
> current one, but you must say which one you are giving.

12 (Current number, not counting the War Doctor or the "8th" doctor in
the movie)

> B2. Name *any one of the first four* actors to play the Doctor,
> i.e. those on the show from 1963 through early 1981.

William Hartnell

> * C. Canadian Bays
>
> C1. Chaleur Bay lies off the coast of what *two* provinces
> or territories?

Yukon Territory and Nunaavut

> C2. What provincial capital is on the coast very close to
> Hillsborough Bay?
>

> * D. #6 for the Leafs
>
> D1. In a 1933 game with Boston, this Toronto Maple Leafs star
> was checked by Eddie Shore so hard that his head hit the
> ice and his death was feared. He actually lived until 1992,
> but never played again, and the Leafs retired his sweater #6.
> Name him.
>
> D2. This Leafs player became "two numbers lighter" in 1968
> when <answer D1>, now the Maple Leaf Gardens timekeeper,
> asked the team to give the player the honor of wearing his
> retired number. Name the star who would wear #6 for the
> rest of his career.

Baun; Henderson

> * E. Ologies
>
> E1. What word ending in -ology means the study of reptiles?

Herpetology

> E2. What word ending in -ology means the study of flags?
>

> * F. Pilots named Yeager
>
> F1. Chuck Yeager was the first pilot to fly faster than sound.
> Within 2, what year was that?

1948

> F2. Jeana Yeager -- no relation to Chuck -- set *what record*
> for a nonstop flight together with Dick Rutan in a specially
> built plane in December 1986? Exact description required.

Around the world without landing along the way

Pete Gayde

Dan Tilque

Aug 31, 2020, 2:15:43 PM8/31/20
On 8/29/20 7:32 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 6, Round 8 - Leisure - Games
>
> These are mostly board games that families might play at home.
> Name them.
>
> 1. During the play of this game you might hear the phrase "Corner
> on corn!" The game was inspired by the US Corn Exchange and
> was first sold by Parker Brothers in 1904.

Pit

> 2. This game was introduced in 1963: among other objects, the
> playing mechanism includes a rickety staircase, a hanging boot,
> and a bathtub.

Beverly Hillbillies Game

> 3. This game, dating from Victorian times, is played on a square
> grid; players move their pieces according to the throw of a die
> or the movement of a spinner. Some versions have illustrations
> that teach morality lessons: good children are rewarded and
> misbehaving ones suffer a fall.

Chutes and Ladders

> 4. The playing pieces in a """current""" US version of this game
> include a box of McDonald's french fries, a cup of Starbucks
> coffee, a Toyota Prius, a cell phone, and a laptop.

Monopoly

> 5. The board for this game, originally published in the UK by
> Waddington's in 1948, includes four secret passages.

Cluedo

> 6. This game was first manufactured by Parker Brothers in 1955,
> and was devised by a sociologist. Players attempt to maximize
> their fame, happiness, and/or money.

Life

> 7. This game was first manufactured by Milton Bradley in 1965.
> You may run up against a broken heart, writer's cramp, and
> butterflies in the stomach.

Operation

> 8. This game for young children was first published by Milton
> Bradley in 1949. Be careful: you might find yourself trapped
> in Molasses Swamp.

Candyand

> 9. This game dates from the 1860s (yes, really). Players can
> graduate from college, get a job, buy a house, and retire.

Life

> 10. In this French card game, you can run out of gas or have a
> flat tire.

Mille Bournes

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Agatha Christie Characters
>
> A1. Christie's best-known male detective was featured in such
> works as "The Mysterious Affair at Styles", "Murder on
> the Orient Express", "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd", and
> "Curtain". *What country* was he from, before he moved
> to England?

Belgium

> A2. Christie's best-known female detective was featured in
> such works as "The Body in the Library", "The Mirror
> Crack'd from Side to Side", "A Murder is Announced",
> "Sleeping Murder", and "4.50 from Paddington" (also known
> as "Murder She Said"). *What village* did she live in?
>

> * B. As Doctor Who
>
> B1. Within 1, how many people """have played""" the Doctor as
> a regular role on the TV series "Doctor Who"? *Note*:
> You may either give the originally correct answer or the
> current one, but you must say which one you are giving.

13 current

> B2. Name *any one of the first four* actors to play the Doctor,
> i.e. those on the show from 1963 through early 1981.

Pertwee

> * C. Canadian Bays
>
> C1. Chaleur Bay lies off the coast of what *two* provinces
> or territories?

Nova Scotia and New Brunswick

> C2. What provincial capital is on the coast very close to
> Hillsborough Bay?

Charlottetown; St John's

> * D. #6 for the Leafs
>
> D1. In a 1933 game with Boston, this Toronto Maple Leafs star
> was checked by Eddie Shore so hard that his head hit the
> ice and his death was feared. He actually lived until 1992,
> but never played again, and the Leafs retired his sweater #6.
> Name him.
>
> D2. This Leafs player became "two numbers lighter" in 1968
> when <answer D1>, now the Maple Leaf Gardens timekeeper,
> asked the team to give the player the honor of wearing his
> retired number. Name the star who would wear #6 for the
> rest of his career.
>

> * E. Ologies
>
> E1. What word ending in -ology means the study of reptiles?

herpetology

> E2. What word ending in -ology means the study of flags?

vexillology

> * F. Pilots named Yeager
>
> F1. Chuck Yeager was the first pilot to fly faster than sound.
> Within 2, what year was that?

1947

> F2. Jeana Yeager -- no relation to Chuck -- set *what record*
> for a nonstop flight together with Dick Rutan in a specially
> built plane in December 1986? Exact description required.

flying nonstop around the world without refueling

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Sep 2, 2020, 12:59:08 AM9/2/20
Game 6 is over and DAN BLUM has won. Hearty congratulations!

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2007-02-26,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> I wrote one of these rounds.

That was the challenge round.

> ** Game 6, Round 8 - Leisure - Games

> These are mostly board games that families might play at home.
> Name them.

> 1. During the play of this game you might hear the phrase "Corner
> on corn!" The game was inspired by the US Corn Exchange and
> was first sold by Parker Brothers in 1904.

Pit. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. This game was introduced in 1963: among other objects, the
> playing mechanism includes a rickety staircase, a hanging boot,
> and a bathtub.

Mouse Trap. 4 for Dan Blum and Pete.

> 3. This game, dating from Victorian times, is played on a square
> grid; players move their pieces according to the throw of a die
> or the movement of a spinner. Some versions have illustrations
> that teach morality lessons: good children are rewarded and
> misbehaving ones suffer a fall.

Snakes (or chutes) and ladders. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

> 4. The playing pieces in a """current""" US version of this game
> include a box of McDonald's french fries, a cup of Starbucks
> coffee, a Toyota Prius, a cell phone, and a laptop.

Monopoly. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

In the original game this said "the" current US version, but I don't
believe that was ever correct. I don't know what edition the author
of the round had in mind. I figured it was still guessable anyway.

> 5. The board for this game, originally published in the UK by
> Waddington's in 1948, includes four secret passages.

Clue (or Cluedo). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

The British name puns on "ludo", which is their name for parcheesi.

> 6. This game was first manufactured by Parker Brothers in 1955,
> and was devised by a sociologist. Players attempt to maximize
> their fame, happiness, and/or money.

Careers. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 7. This game was first manufactured by Milton Bradley in 1965.
> You may run up against a broken heart, writer's cramp, and
> butterflies in the stomach.

Operation. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. This game for young children was first published by Milton
> Bradley in 1949. Be careful: you might find yourself trapped
> in Molasses Swamp.

Candyland. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 9. This game dates from the 1860s (yes, really). Players can
> graduate from college, get a job, buy a house, and retire.

(The Game of) Life. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 10. In this French card game, you can run out of gas or have a
> flat tire.

Mille Bornes. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Agatha Christie Characters

> A1. Christie's best-known male detective was featured in such
> works as "The Mysterious Affair at Styles", "Murder on
> the Orient Express", "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd", and
> "Curtain". *What country* was he from, before he moved
> to England?

Belgium (it's Hercule Poirot). 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Erland,
Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> A2. Christie's best-known female detective was featured in
> such works as "The Body in the Library", "The Mirror
> Crack'd from Side to Side", "A Murder is Announced",
> "Sleeping Murder", and "4.50 from Paddington" (also known
> as "Murder She Said"). *What village* did she live in?

St. Mary Mead (it's Jane Marple). 4 for Dan Blum.

> * B. As Doctor Who

> B1. Within 1, how many people """have played""" the Doctor as
> a regular role on the TV series "Doctor Who"? *Note*:
> You may either give the originally correct answer or the
> current one, but you must say which one you are giving.

2007 answer: 9 (accepting 8-10). 2020 answer: 12 (accepting 11-13).
4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

[1] William Hartnell (1963-66), [2] Patrick Troughton (1966-69),
[3] Jon Pertwee (1970-74), [4] Tom Baker (1974-81), [5] Peter Davison
(1981-84), [6] Colin Baker (1984-86), [7] Sylvester McCoy (1987-89),
[8] Christopher Eccleston (2005), [9] David Tennant (2005-10).
[10] Matt Smith (2010-13), [11] Peter Capaldi (2013-17),
[12] Jodie Whittaker (since 2017).

Whittaker is generally considered to he the 13th Doctor, but this
count includes Paul McGann, who only appeared in a TV-movie (in 1996)
and not as a regular on the series.

The role was also played by Peter Cushing in two movies (1965-66).

> B2. Name *any one of the first four* actors to play the Doctor,
> i.e. those on the show from 1963 through early 1981.

See [1-4] above. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> * C. Canadian Bays

> C1. Chaleur Bay lies off the coast of what *two* provinces
> or territories?

Quebec, New Brunswick.

> C2. What provincial capital is on the coast very close to
> Hillsborough Bay?

Charlottetown. 3 for Dan Tilque.

> * D. #6 for the Leafs

> D1. In a 1933 game with Boston, this Toronto Maple Leafs star
> was checked by Eddie Shore so hard that his head hit the
> ice and his death was feared. He actually lived until 1992,
> but never played again, and the Leafs retired his sweater #6.
> Name him.

Irvine "Ace" Bailey.

> D2. This Leafs player became "two numbers lighter" in 1968
> when <answer D1>, now the Maple Leaf Gardens timekeeper,
> asked the team to give the player the honor of wearing his
> retired number. Name the star who would wear #6 for the
> rest of his career.

Ron Ellis.

> * E. Ologies

> E1. What word ending in -ology means the study of reptiles?

Herpetology. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> E2. What word ending in -ology means the study of flags?

Vexillology. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> * F. Pilots named Yeager

> F1. Chuck Yeager was the first pilot to fly faster than sound.
> Within 2, what year was that?

1947 (accepting 1945-49). The plane was a Bell XS-1 (later called an
X-1) named "Glamorous Glennis". 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> F2. Jeana Yeager -- no relation to Chuck -- set *what record*
> for a nonstop flight together with Dick Rutan in a specially
> built plane in December 1986? Exact description required.

First nonstop flight around the world *without refueling*. The plane
was called "Voyager". 4 for Dan Tilque.

On an episode of "The Wall" on 2020-05-24, the player was asked to
give the name of the plane from question F1 above -- and the plane
from F2 was also one of the four answers she was given to choose from.
She guessed wrong.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 9 6 7 8 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Sci Lit Mis Geo His Lei Cha SIX
Dan Blum 12 32 32 15 40 36 40 24 204
Joshua Kreitzer 20 32 24 35 40 40 28 24 199
Dan Tilque 0 32 8 12 36 40 32 31 183
Pete Gayde 24 16 0 27 40 35 20 20 166
Erland Sommarskog 0 16 0 4 32 39 4 4 99
Bruce Bowler 8 36 -- -- -- -- -- -- 44

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
The time-sharing system was designed very much for the convenience

Dan Tilque

Sep 2, 2020, 3:18:37 AM9/2/20
On 9/1/20 9:59 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

>> F2. Jeana Yeager -- no relation to Chuck -- set *what record*
>> for a nonstop flight together with Dick Rutan in a specially
>> built plane in December 1986? Exact description required.
>
> First nonstop flight around the world *without refueling*. The plane
> was called "Voyager". 4 for Dan Tilque.

IIRC, a USAF plane (B-58) flew around the world without landing, but
required three aerial refuelings.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Sep 2, 2020, 4:44:03 AM9/2/20
Mark Brader:
>>> F2. Jeana Yeager -- no relation to Chuck -- set *what record*
>>> for a nonstop flight together with Dick Rutan in a specially
>>> built plane in December 1986? Exact description required.
>>
>> First nonstop flight around the world *without refueling*. The plane
>> was called "Voyager". 4 for Dan Tilque.

Dan Tilque:
> IIRC, a USAF plane (B-58) flew around the world without landing, but
> required three aerial refuelings.

Sounds about right, but I don't know why you mention it in this context.
--
Mark Brader | "The problem with waiting for a 'smoking gun' is
Toronto | that it means the gun has already been fired."

Dan Tilque

Sep 2, 2020, 9:00:11 PM9/2/20
On 9/2/20 1:43 AM, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
>>>
>>> First nonstop flight around the world *without refueling*. The plane
>>> was called "Voyager". 4 for Dan Tilque.
>
> Dan Tilque:
>> IIRC, a USAF plane (B-58) flew around the world without landing, but
>> required three aerial refuelings.
>
> Sounds about right, but I don't know why you mention it in this context.

I was just pointing out why the "without refueling" part of the answer
was required. Just in case someone was wondering.

Oh, and I made a mistake about which plane did it. It was a B-50
(updated B-29) and required 4 aerial refuelings. This was in 1949.

--
Dan Tilque