RQFTCI03 Game 2 Rounds 9-10: coherent metric, challenge round

Mark Brader

Nov 21, 2020, 1:59:00 AM11/21/20
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2003-01-27,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds and half of the other.

** Game 2, Round 9 - Science - The Coherence of Metric Measure

In both the SI and the CGS versions of the metric system, many of
the units of measure can be expressed in terms of the multiplication
or division of other units of measure, with no numerical constants
other than 1 involved. In each case, name the unit being expressed.

None of the answers will involve scaling prefixes such as kilo-
or micro-. Some answers may be mentioned in subsequent questions
without being edited out.

1. This unit measures the force needed to accelerate a 1 kilogram
mass to a speed of 1 meter per second in 1 second. That is,
1 kilogram meter per second squared equals 1 of what unit?

2. Similarly in CGS metric, 1 gram centimeter per second squared
equals 1 of what force unit?

3. A force of 1 <answer 2> exerted over a distance of 1 centimeter
consumes how much energy, or equivalently, does how much work?
That is, 1 <answer 2> times 1 centimeter, or simply 1 <answer 2>
centimeter, equals 1 of what energy unit?

4. And correspondingly in SI, 1 <answer 1> meter equals 1 of what
energy unit?

5. This unit of power, or the rate of energy consumption, is equal to
1 joule divided by 1 second; that is, it's 1 joule per second.

6. And which two commonly used electrical units can be multiplied
together to produce 1 <answer 5>? Name *both*.

7. If you *divide* the same two units, the right way around, the
result equals 1 of which resistance unit?

8. The amount of charge delivered by a 1 ampere current flowing for
1 second, or in other words 1 ampere times 1 second, equals 1 of
what charge unit?

9. <answer 8> divided by 1 volt equals 1 of which unit of capacitance?

10. Finally, this frequency unit is simply the reciprocal of 1 second.

** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round

* A. Formerly Undivided Countries

A1. Within 1 year, when did Slovakia separate from the Czech
Republic?

A2. In 1905, Norway held a referendum on the question of
separating from Sweden. It passed. Within 5 percentage
points, how many percent voted yes?

* B. Subway Stations by Location

B1. What station on the Yonge-University-Spadina Line """has""" its
only entrance on Crescent Rd.?

B2. What station on the Yonge-University-Spadina Line """has""" its
only entrance on Shaftesbury Av.?

* C. Corporate Etymology

C1. This notorious corporate name is a German abbreviation for
a phrase meaning "dye consortium", or more precisely,
"community of interest of the dye industry".

C2. First a new technology was named with a 10-letter word
based on the Greek for "dry writing"; then this was reduced
to a 5-letter brand name; then in 1961 this brand name became
the new name of the company. What was that brand name?

* D. Operatic Terminology

D1. Which term is used for the text of an opera, both spoken
and sung words? Translated, it means "little book".

D2. What is the name for the simultaneous translation of an
opera's <answer D1> projected above the stage? We want the
trade name used by the Canadian Opera Company.

* E. NHL All-Star Game

These questions deal with individual player records up to and
including the 2002 NHL All-Star Game. (You may now give answers
correct up to and including the 2020 game.)

E1. Which goaltender has the record for most All-Star games
played?

E2. Name either of the two players tied for most career All-Star
game *assists*, with 13 each.

* F. Naval Battles

F1. What was Nelson's flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar?

F2. In May 1942 the Japanese launched a plan to invade what
was then Australian territory on the island of New Guinea,
and capture Port Moresby. Name the aircraft-carrier battle,
fought that month, which forced the invasion fleet to
turn back.

--
Mark Brader | "If communication becomes impossible, it is expected that
Toronto | both parties will... notify the other that communication

Joshua Kreitzer

Nov 21, 2020, 3:22:33 AM11/21/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:H5adndBMCt8zJyXCnZ2dnUU7-
eHN...@giganews.com:

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Science - The Coherence of Metric Measure
>
> In both the SI and the CGS versions of the metric system, many of
> the units of measure can be expressed in terms of the multiplication
> or division of other units of measure, with no numerical constants
> other than 1 involved. In each case, name the unit being expressed.
>
> 1. This unit measures the force needed to accelerate a 1 kilogram
> mass to a speed of 1 meter per second in 1 second. That is,
> 1 kilogram meter per second squared equals 1 of what unit?

newton

> 2. Similarly in CGS metric, 1 gram centimeter per second squared
> equals 1 of what force unit?

newton

> 3. A force of 1 <answer 2> exerted over a distance of 1 centimeter
> consumes how much energy, or equivalently, does how much work?
> That is, 1 <answer 2> times 1 centimeter, or simply 1 <answer 2>
> centimeter, equals 1 of what energy unit?

joule

> 4. And correspondingly in SI, 1 <answer 1> meter equals 1 of what
> energy unit?

joule

> 5. This unit of power, or the rate of energy consumption, is equal to
> 1 joule divided by 1 second; that is, it's 1 joule per second.

watt

> 6. And which two commonly used electrical units can be multiplied
> together to produce 1 <answer 5>? Name *both*.

volt and ampere

> 7. If you *divide* the same two units, the right way around, the
> result equals 1 of which resistance unit?

ohm

> 8. The amount of charge delivered by a 1 ampere current flowing for
> 1 second, or in other words 1 ampere times 1 second, equals 1 of
> what charge unit?

volt

> 9. <answer 8> divided by 1 volt equals 1 of which unit of capacitance?

ohm

> 10. Finally, this frequency unit is simply the reciprocal of 1 second.

hertz

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Formerly Undivided Countries
>
> A1. Within 1 year, when did Slovakia separate from the Czech
> Republic?

1994

> A2. In 1905, Norway held a referendum on the question of
> separating from Sweden. It passed. Within 5 percentage
> points, how many percent voted yes?

93; 82

> * C. Corporate Etymology
>
> C2. First a new technology was named with a 10-letter word
> based on the Greek for "dry writing"; then this was reduced
> to a 5-letter brand name; then in 1961 this brand name became
> the new name of the company. What was that brand name?

Xerox

> * D. Operatic Terminology
>
> D1. Which term is used for the text of an opera, both spoken
> and sung words? Translated, it means "little book".

libretto

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 21, 2020, 5:10:48 AM11/21/20
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Science - The Coherence of Metric Measure
>
> 1. This unit measures the force needed to accelerate a 1 kilogram
> mass to a speed of 1 meter per second in 1 second. That is,
> 1 kilogram meter per second squared equals 1 of what unit?

Newton

> 4. And correspondingly in SI, 1 <answer 1> meter equals 1 of what
> energy unit?

Joule

> 5. This unit of power, or the rate of energy consumption, is equal to
> 1 joule divided by 1 second; that is, it's 1 joule per second.

Watt

> 6. And which two commonly used electrical units can be multiplied
> together to produce 1 <answer 5>? Name *both*.

Volt and Ampère

> 7. If you *divide* the same two units, the right way around, the
> result equals 1 of which resistance unit?

Ohm

> 8. The amount of charge delivered by a 1 ampere current flowing for
> 1 second, or in other words 1 ampere times 1 second, equals 1 of
> what charge unit?

Columb

> 9. <answer 8> divided by 1 volt equals 1 of which unit of capacitance?

Farad

> 10. Finally, this frequency unit is simply the reciprocal of 1 second.

Avis. Eh, I mean Hertz.

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Formerly Undivided Countries
>
> A1. Within 1 year, when did Slovakia separate from the Czech
> Republic?

1993

> A2. In 1905, Norway held a referendum on the question of
> separating from Sweden. It passed. Within 5 percentage
> points, how many percent voted yes?

100

> * B. Subway Stations by Location
>
> B2. What station on the Yonge-University-Spadina Line """has""" its
> only entrance on Shaftesbury Av.?

Tottenham Court Road and Piccadilly Circus are both close to Shaftesbury
Avenue as I call, but none the tube lines have that name. You are talking
about a different city? :-)

> * D. Operatic Terminology
>
> D1. Which term is used for the text of an opera, both spoken
> and sung words? Translated, it means "little book".

Libretto

> * F. Naval Battles
>
> F1. What was Nelson's flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar?

Victory

Dan Blum

Nov 21, 2020, 10:52:03 AM11/21/20
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Science - The Coherence of Metric Measure

> 1. This unit measures the force needed to accelerate a 1 kilogram
> mass to a speed of 1 meter per second in 1 second. That is,
> 1 kilogram meter per second squared equals 1 of what unit?

newton

> 2. Similarly in CGS metric, 1 gram centimeter per second squared
> equals 1 of what force unit?

dyne

> 3. A force of 1 <answer 2> exerted over a distance of 1 centimeter
> consumes how much energy, or equivalently, does how much work?
> That is, 1 <answer 2> times 1 centimeter, or simply 1 <answer 2>
> centimeter, equals 1 of what energy unit?

erg

> 4. And correspondingly in SI, 1 <answer 1> meter equals 1 of what
> energy unit?

watt

> 6. And which two commonly used electrical units can be multiplied
> together to produce 1 <answer 5>? Name *both*.

volt and ampere

> 7. If you *divide* the same two units, the right way around, the
> result equals 1 of which resistance unit?

ohm

> 8. The amount of charge delivered by a 1 ampere current flowing for
> 1 second, or in other words 1 ampere times 1 second, equals 1 of
> what charge unit?

coulomb

> 9. <answer 8> divided by 1 volt equals 1 of which unit of capacitance?

coulomb

> 10. Finally, this frequency unit is simply the reciprocal of 1 second.

hertz

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Formerly Undivided Countries

> A1. Within 1 year, when did Slovakia separate from the Czech
> Republic?

1994

> A2. In 1905, Norway held a referendum on the question of
> separating from Sweden. It passed. Within 5 percentage
> points, how many percent voted yes?

56

> * C. Corporate Etymology

> C1. This notorious corporate name is a German abbreviation for
> a phrase meaning "dye consortium", or more precisely,
> "community of interest of the dye industry".

IG Farben

> C2. First a new technology was named with a 10-letter word
> based on the Greek for "dry writing"; then this was reduced
> to a 5-letter brand name; then in 1961 this brand name became
> the new name of the company. What was that brand name?

Xerox

> * D. Operatic Terminology

> D1. Which term is used for the text of an opera, both spoken
> and sung words? Translated, it means "little book".

libretto

> * F. Naval Battles

> F1. What was Nelson's flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar?

HMS Victory

> F2. In May 1942 the Japanese launched a plan to invade what
> was then Australian territory on the island of New Guinea,
> and capture Port Moresby. Name the aircraft-carrier battle,
> fought that month, which forced the invasion fleet to
> turn back.

Midway

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Tilque

Nov 21, 2020, 1:05:34 PM11/21/20
On 11/20/20 10:58 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Science - The Coherence of Metric Measure
>
> In both the SI and the CGS versions of the metric system, many of
> the units of measure can be expressed in terms of the multiplication
> or division of other units of measure, with no numerical constants
> other than 1 involved. In each case, name the unit being expressed.
>
> None of the answers will involve scaling prefixes such as kilo-
> or micro-. Some answers may be mentioned in subsequent questions
> without being edited out.
>
> 1. This unit measures the force needed to accelerate a 1 kilogram
> mass to a speed of 1 meter per second in 1 second. That is,
> 1 kilogram meter per second squared equals 1 of what unit?

newton

> 2. Similarly in CGS metric, 1 gram centimeter per second squared
> equals 1 of what force unit?

dyne

> 3. A force of 1 <answer 2> exerted over a distance of 1 centimeter
> consumes how much energy, or equivalently, does how much work?
> That is, 1 <answer 2> times 1 centimeter, or simply 1 <answer 2>
> centimeter, equals 1 of what energy unit?

erg

> 4. And correspondingly in SI, 1 <answer 1> meter equals 1 of what
> energy unit?

joule

> 5. This unit of power, or the rate of energy consumption, is equal to
> 1 joule divided by 1 second; that is, it's 1 joule per second.

watt

> 6. And which two commonly used electrical units can be multiplied
> together to produce 1 <answer 5>? Name *both*.

amp, volt

> 7. If you *divide* the same two units, the right way around, the
> result equals 1 of which resistance unit?

ohm

> 8. The amount of charge delivered by a 1 ampere current flowing for
> 1 second, or in other words 1 ampere times 1 second, equals 1 of
> what charge unit?

coulomb

> 9. <answer 8> divided by 1 volt equals 1 of which unit of capacitance?

farad

> 10. Finally, this frequency unit is simply the reciprocal of 1 second.

herz

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Formerly Undivided Countries
>
> A1. Within 1 year, when did Slovakia separate from the Czech
> Republic?

1993

> A2. In 1905, Norway held a referendum on the question of
> separating from Sweden. It passed. Within 5 percentage
> points, how many percent voted yes?

87

> * B. Subway Stations by Location
>
> B1. What station on the Yonge-University-Spadina Line """has""" its
> only entrance on Crescent Rd.?
>
> B2. What station on the Yonge-University-Spadina Line """has""" its
> only entrance on Shaftesbury Av.?
>

> * C. Corporate Etymology
>
> C1. This notorious corporate name is a German abbreviation for
> a phrase meaning "dye consortium", or more precisely,
> "community of interest of the dye industry".

IG Farben

> C2. First a new technology was named with a 10-letter word
> based on the Greek for "dry writing"; then this was reduced
> to a 5-letter brand name; then in 1961 this brand name became
> the new name of the company. What was that brand name?

Xerox

> * D. Operatic Terminology
>
> D1. Which term is used for the text of an opera, both spoken
> and sung words? Translated, it means "little book".
>
> D2. What is the name for the simultaneous translation of an
> opera's <answer D1> projected above the stage? We want the
> trade name used by the Canadian Opera Company.
>

> * E. NHL All-Star Game
>
> These questions deal with individual player records up to and
> including the 2002 NHL All-Star Game. (You may now give answers
> correct up to and including the 2020 game.)
>
> E1. Which goaltender has the record for most All-Star games
> played?
>
> E2. Name either of the two players tied for most career All-Star
> game *assists*, with 13 each.
>

> * F. Naval Battles
>
> F1. What was Nelson's flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar?

Victory

> F2. In May 1942 the Japanese launched a plan to invade what
> was then Australian territory on the island of New Guinea,
> and capture Port Moresby. Name the aircraft-carrier battle,
> fought that month, which forced the invasion fleet to
> turn back.

Battle of the Coral Sea

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Nov 23, 2020, 5:59:37 PM11/23/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:H5adndBMCt8zJyXCnZ2dnUU7-
eHN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2003-01-27,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
> may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds and half of the other.
>

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Science - The Coherence of Metric Measure
>
> In both the SI and the CGS versions of the metric system, many of
> the units of measure can be expressed in terms of the multiplication
> or division of other units of measure, with no numerical constants
> other than 1 involved. In each case, name the unit being expressed.
>
> None of the answers will involve scaling prefixes such as kilo-
> or micro-. Some answers may be mentioned in subsequent questions
> without being edited out.
>
> 1. This unit measures the force needed to accelerate a 1 kilogram
> mass to a speed of 1 meter per second in 1 second. That is,
> 1 kilogram meter per second squared equals 1 of what unit?

Dyne; Erg

> 2. Similarly in CGS metric, 1 gram centimeter per second squared
> equals 1 of what force unit?

Dyne; Erg

> 3. A force of 1 <answer 2> exerted over a distance of 1 centimeter
> consumes how much energy, or equivalently, does how much work?
> That is, 1 <answer 2> times 1 centimeter, or simply 1 <answer 2>
> centimeter, equals 1 of what energy unit?
>
> 4. And correspondingly in SI, 1 <answer 1> meter equals 1 of what
> energy unit?
>
> 5. This unit of power, or the rate of energy consumption, is equal to
> 1 joule divided by 1 second; that is, it's 1 joule per second.

Dyne; Erg

> 6. And which two commonly used electrical units can be multiplied
> together to produce 1 <answer 5>? Name *both*.

Volt and Watt

> 7. If you *divide* the same two units, the right way around, the
> result equals 1 of which resistance unit?

Ohm

> 8. The amount of charge delivered by a 1 ampere current flowing for
> 1 second, or in other words 1 ampere times 1 second, equals 1 of
> what charge unit?

Watt

> 9. <answer 8> divided by 1 volt equals 1 of which unit of capacitance?

Coulomb

> 10. Finally, this frequency unit is simply the reciprocal of 1 second.

Hertz

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Formerly Undivided Countries
>
> A1. Within 1 year, when did Slovakia separate from the Czech
> Republic?

1994

> A2. In 1905, Norway held a referendum on the question of
> separating from Sweden. It passed. Within 5 percentage
> points, how many percent voted yes?

94; 83

> * B. Subway Stations by Location
>
> B1. What station on the Yonge-University-Spadina Line """has""" its
> only entrance on Crescent Rd.?
>
> B2. What station on the Yonge-University-Spadina Line """has""" its
> only entrance on Shaftesbury Av.?
>

> * C. Corporate Etymology
>
> C1. This notorious corporate name is a German abbreviation for
> a phrase meaning "dye consortium", or more precisely,
> "community of interest of the dye industry".
>
> C2. First a new technology was named with a 10-letter word
> based on the Greek for "dry writing"; then this was reduced
> to a 5-letter brand name; then in 1961 this brand name became
> the new name of the company. What was that brand name?
>

> * D. Operatic Terminology
>
> D1. Which term is used for the text of an opera, both spoken
> and sung words? Translated, it means "little book".

Libretto

> D2. What is the name for the simultaneous translation of an
> opera's <answer D1> projected above the stage? We want the
> trade name used by the Canadian Opera Company.

Surtitles

> * E. NHL All-Star Game
>
> These questions deal with individual player records up to and
> including the 2002 NHL All-Star Game. (You may now give answers
> correct up to and including the 2020 game.)
>
> E1. Which goaltender has the record for most All-Star games
> played?

Hall; Worsley

> E2. Name either of the two players tied for most career All-Star
> game *assists*, with 13 each.

Gretzky; Gordie Howe

> * F. Naval Battles
>
> F1. What was Nelson's flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar?
>
> F2. In May 1942 the Japanese launched a plan to invade what
> was then Australian territory on the island of New Guinea,
> and capture Port Moresby. Name the aircraft-carrier battle,
> fought that month, which forced the invasion fleet to
> turn back.

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Nov 24, 2020, 4:42:33 PM11/24/20
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2003-01-27,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Well, this Game 2 has the closest result I have ever seen in
QFTCI, even though only 6 people were playing. JOSHUA KREITZER
AND DAN TILQUE (listed in random order) have *tied* for the win --
1 point ahead of third-place Dan Blum!

That's if there are no errors, of course; please check carefully
to see if I've gotten it wrong.

> I wrote one of these rounds and half of the other.

I wrote the science round and pairs A-C of the challenge round.

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Science - The Coherence of Metric Measure

> In both the SI and the CGS versions of the metric system, many of
> the units of measure can be expressed in terms of the multiplication
> or division of other units of measure, with no numerical constants
> other than 1 involved. In each case, name the unit being expressed.

> None of the answers will involve scaling prefixes such as kilo-
> or micro-. Some answers may be mentioned in subsequent questions
> without being edited out.

> 1. This unit measures the force needed to accelerate a 1 kilogram
> mass to a speed of 1 meter per second in 1 second. That is,
> 1 kilogram meter per second squared equals 1 of what unit?

Newton. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. Similarly in CGS metric, 1 gram centimeter per second squared
> equals 1 of what force unit?

Dyne. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque. 3 for Pete.

> 3. A force of 1 <answer 2> exerted over a distance of 1 centimeter
> consumes how much energy, or equivalently, does how much work?
> That is, 1 <answer 2> times 1 centimeter, or simply 1 <answer 2>
> centimeter, equals 1 of what energy unit?

Erg. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 4. And correspondingly in SI, 1 <answer 1> meter equals 1 of what
> energy unit?

Joule. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. This unit of power, or the rate of energy consumption, is equal to
> 1 joule divided by 1 second; that is, it's 1 joule per second.

Watt. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. And which two commonly used electrical units can be multiplied
> together to produce 1 <answer 5>? Name *both*.

Ampere (accepting "amp"), volt. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

> 7. If you *divide* the same two units, the right way around, the
> result equals 1 of which resistance unit?

Ohm. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

> 8. The amount of charge delivered by a 1 ampere current flowing for
> 1 second, or in other words 1 ampere times 1 second, equals 1 of
> what charge unit?

Coulomb. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 9. <answer 8> divided by 1 volt equals 1 of which unit of capacitance?

Farad. 4 for Erland and Dan Tilque.

> 10. Finally, this frequency unit is simply the reciprocal of 1 second.

Hertz. (Also becquerel, in the context of radioactive decays.)
4 for everyone.

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Formerly Undivided Countries

> A1. Within 1 year, when did Slovakia separate from the Czech
> Republic?

1993 (accepting 1992-94), as you should remember from Game 6 of the
last season I posted. 4 for everyone.

> A2. In 1905, Norway held a referendum on the question of
> separating from Sweden. It passed. Within 5 percentage
> points, how many percent voted yes?

99.9501% (accepting 94.95% to, ah, 104.9501%; to be exact, the vote
was 368,208-184). 4 for Erland. I was rather delighted to see that
one entrant tried 94% and was too low.

> * B. Subway Stations by Location

> B1. What station on the Yonge-University-Spadina Line """has""" its
> only entrance on Crescent Rd.?

Rosedale. (Still true, but the Y-U-S Line is now called Line 1,
Yonge-University.)

> B2. What station on the Yonge-University-Spadina Line """has""" its
> only entrance on Shaftesbury Av.?

Summerhill. (Still true.)

> * C. Corporate Etymology

> C1. This notorious corporate name is a German abbreviation for
> a phrase meaning "dye consortium", or more precisely,
> "community of interest of the dye industry".

I.G. Farben (from "Interessengemeinschaft Farbenindustrie").
4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> C2. First a new technology was named with a 10-letter word
> based on the Greek for "dry writing"; then this was reduced
> to a 5-letter brand name; then in 1961 this brand name became
> the new name of the company. What was that brand name?

Xerox (from "xerography"). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> * D. Operatic Terminology

> D1. Which term is used for the text of an opera, both spoken
> and sung words? Translated, it means "little book".

Libretto. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> D2. What is the name for the simultaneous translation of an
> opera's <answer D1> projected above the stage? We want the
> trade name used by the Canadian Opera Company.

Surtitles (since we asked for the trade name, the exact answer
was required). 4 for Pete.

> * E. NHL All-Star Game

> These questions deal with individual player records up to and
> including the 2002 NHL All-Star Game. (You may now give answers
> correct up to and including the 2020 game.)

> E1. Which goaltender has the record for most All-Star games
> played?

Glenn Hall (13 games -- still the record). 3 for Pete.

> E2. Name either of the two players tied for most career All-Star
> game *assists*, with 13 each.

2003 answer: Raymond Bourque, Mark Messier. 2020 answer: Joe Sakic
(with 16).

> * F. Naval Battles

> F1. What was Nelson's flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar?

"Victory". 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> F2. In May 1942 the Japanese launched a plan to invade what
> was then Australian territory on the island of New Guinea,
> and capture Port Moresby. Name the aircraft-carrier battle,
> fought that month, which forced the invasion fleet to
> turn back.

Battle of the Coral Sea. 4 for Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Spo Geo Mis Ent Lit Sci Cha FIVE
Joshua Kreitzer 24 26 8 40 22 24 12 136
Dan Tilque 28 28 4 20 8 40 20 136
Dan Blum 32 21 25 28 22 28 20 135
Erland Sommarskog 20 36 -- 4 0 32 16 108
Pete Gayde 23 31 20 12 15 11 15 104
Bruce Bowler 28 0 -- 16 16 -- -- 60

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
"History tells us that the Boston 'T' Party was succeeded

Mark Brader

Nov 27, 2020, 12:53:05 AM11/27/20
I just realized I posted the answers and game scores for Game 2, Rounds
9-10, without adding "answers" to the Subject line. If anybody who was
playing missed them, they should look back at my last posting in the
thread.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "More importantly, Mark is just plain wrong."
m...@vex.net -- John Hollingsworth