QFTCIBP Game 8, Rounds 9-10: glass, India challenge

Mark Brader

May 26, 2018, 1:30:21 AM5/26/18
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-03-12,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Game 8, Round 9 - Science - Half-Full or Half-Empty?

This round is about glass -- a non-crystalline amorphous solid
that is often transparent. Beyond being decorative, glass has
widespread practical uses.

1. What product, used for short- and long-range telecommunications,
consists of glass components bundled together in a flexible
sheath?

2. What type of glass is usually made from a combination of two
or more types of glass, one hard and one soft? The softer layer
makes the glass more elastic, so it can flex instead of shatter.

3. In medical X-ray facilities, technicians view the patient
through a glass screen that has been embedded with what
substance?

4. What type of narrow-necked laboratory glassware, typically
conical or spherical, and used to hold reagents or samples,
has variations known as Florence, Schlenk, and Erlenmeyer?

5. What type of laboratory glassware is used to culture living
cells?

6. Made by melting and stretching the glass, what type of glass
is known for being lightweight, corrosion-resistant and a good
insulator, making it popular in the construction industry?
Its form also becomes stronger as the glass ages.

7. What is the name for the piece of glass, typically 75 mm ×
26 mm wide and about 1 mm thick, used to hold samples for
close and precisely movable examination in optical microscopes,
the kind you may have used in a high-school biology class?

8. What type of mirror produces a reflected image that is smaller
than the object, but gets larger as the object approaches the
glass? Given their large surveillance area, they are commonly
used as a safety feature on cars, at intersections of building
hallways and on automated banking machines.

9. What type of glass is created by controlled thermal or chemical
treatments to increase its strength, putting the outer surfaces
into compression and the interior into tension? Such stresses
cause the glass, when broken, to crumble into small granular
chunks instead of splintering into jagged shards. The granular
chunks are less likely to cause injury.

10. In the 16th century, a method of making mirrors out of plate
glass was developed by glassmakers who covered the back of the
glass with a mercury-tin amalgam, obtaining near-perfect and
undistorted reflection. Name the city which became the center
of this manufacturing process.

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
"fnsrgl tynff" sbe nal nafjre, cyrnfr tb onpx naq or zber fcrpvsvp.

** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - India

* A. Cities in India

A1. Which city is the capital of the Indian state of West Bengal?
The city is widely regarded as the "cultural capital"
of India, and is also nicknamed the "City of Joy".

A2. Which city is the capital of the Indian state of Maharashtra?
It is also the most populous city in India with an estimated
population of 12,400,000 in the city proper as of 2011.

* B. Gandhi

B1. In what year was Mohandas, or Mahatma, Gandhi assassinated
by a Hindu nationalist?

B2. In what year did Gandhi famously lead Indians in challenging
the British-imposed salt tax with the 400 km Salt March to
Dandi?

* C. Salman Rushdie

C1. Which of Rushdie's novels deals with India's transition
from British colonialism to independence and the partition of
British India? It is considered an example of postcolonial,
postmodern, and magical-realist literature, and it won the
Booker Prize in 1981.

C2. Which of Rushdie's novels caused immediate controversy
in the Islamic world because of what was seen by some to
be an irreverent depiction of Muhammad? In 1989 a fatwa
ordering Rushdie's execution was proclaimed by Ayatollah
Khomeini because of this novel.

* D. Bollywood Actresses

These actresses have appeared in Western media too, so you may
have heard of them.

D1. Which actress stars as Alex Parrish on the ABC thriller
series "Quantico"? She also played the villain Victoria
Leeds in the recent "Baywatch" movie, opposite Dwayne
Johnson and Zac Efron.

D2. Which actress and model was the winner of the Miss World
1994 pageant? You might recognize her from her starring role
opposite Martin Henderson in 2004's "Bride and Prejudice",
or you might recognize her trademark blue eyes.

* E. Indian Athletes

E1. Which Indian professional tennis player is considered to be
one of the best doubles and mixed doubles players of all
time? He has won 8 doubles and 10 mixed doubles Grand Slam
titles, and is the oldest man to have won a Grand Slam title.

E2. Which retired Indian cricketer and former national team
captain is regarded as one of the greatest batsmen to ever
play the game? He is the highest run-scorer of all time
in International cricket.

* F. Indian Physicists and Mathematicians

F1. Which Indian mathematician, born in 1916, made substantial
contributions to mathematical analysis, number theory,
infinite series, and continued fractions? The 2015 film
"The Man Who Knew Infinity" was based on his life.

F2. Which Indian physicist carried out groundbreaking work in
the field of light scattering, which earned him the 1930
Nobel Prize for Physics? He discovered that when light
traverses a transparent material, some of the deflected
light changes wavelength. This effect and the resulting
type of scattering are both named for him.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Every new technology carries with it an opportunity
m...@vex.net | to invent a new crime" -- Laurence A. Urgenson

Joshua Kreitzer

May 26, 2018, 1:39:37 AM5/26/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:V4qdnUsX_-F1bZXGnZ2dnUU7-
SPN...@giganews.com:

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Science - Half-Full or Half-Empty?
>
> This round is about glass -- a non-crystalline amorphous solid
> that is often transparent. Beyond being decorative, glass has
> widespread practical uses.
>
> 1. What product, used for short- and long-range telecommunications,
> consists of glass components bundled together in a flexible
> sheath?

fiber optic cable

> 3. In medical X-ray facilities, technicians view the patient
> through a glass screen that has been embedded with what
> substance?

lead

> 4. What type of narrow-necked laboratory glassware, typically
> conical or spherical, and used to hold reagents or samples,
> has variations known as Florence, Schlenk, and Erlenmeyer?

flask

> 5. What type of laboratory glassware is used to culture living
> cells?

Petri dish

> 6. Made by melting and stretching the glass, what type of glass
> is known for being lightweight, corrosion-resistant and a good
> insulator, making it popular in the construction industry?
> Its form also becomes stronger as the glass ages.

fiberglass

> 9. What type of glass is created by controlled thermal or chemical
> treatments to increase its strength, putting the outer surfaces
> into compression and the interior into tension? Such stresses
> cause the glass, when broken, to crumble into small granular
> chunks instead of splintering into jagged shards. The granular
> chunks are less likely to cause injury.

tempered glass

> 10. In the 16th century, a method of making mirrors out of plate
> glass was developed by glassmakers who covered the back of the
> glass with a mercury-tin amalgam, obtaining near-perfect and
> undistorted reflection. Name the city which became the center
> of this manufacturing process.

Florence

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - India
>
> * A. Cities in India
>
> A1. Which city is the capital of the Indian state of West Bengal?
> The city is widely regarded as the "cultural capital"
> of India, and is also nicknamed the "City of Joy".

Kolkata

> A2. Which city is the capital of the Indian state of Maharashtra?
> It is also the most populous city in India with an estimated
> population of 12,400,000 in the city proper as of 2011.

Mumbai

> * B. Gandhi
>
> B1. In what year was Mohandas, or Mahatma, Gandhi assassinated
> by a Hindu nationalist?

1948; 1947

> B2. In what year did Gandhi famously lead Indians in challenging
> the British-imposed salt tax with the 400 km Salt March to
> Dandi?

1925; 1927

> * C. Salman Rushdie
>
> C1. Which of Rushdie's novels deals with India's transition
> from British colonialism to independence and the partition of
> British India? It is considered an example of postcolonial,
> postmodern, and magical-realist literature, and it won the
> Booker Prize in 1981.

"Midnight's Children"

> C2. Which of Rushdie's novels caused immediate controversy
> in the Islamic world because of what was seen by some to
> be an irreverent depiction of Muhammad? In 1989 a fatwa
> ordering Rushdie's execution was proclaimed by Ayatollah
> Khomeini because of this novel.

"The Satanic Verses"

> * D. Bollywood Actresses
>
> These actresses have appeared in Western media too, so you may
> have heard of them.
>
> D1. Which actress stars as Alex Parrish on the ABC thriller
> series "Quantico"? She also played the villain Victoria
> Leeds in the recent "Baywatch" movie, opposite Dwayne
> Johnson and Zac Efron.

Chopra (?)

> * F. Indian Physicists and Mathematicians
>
> F1. Which Indian mathematician, born in 1916, made substantial
> contributions to mathematical analysis, number theory,
> infinite series, and continued fractions? The 2015 film
> "The Man Who Knew Infinity" was based on his life.

Ramanujam

> F2. Which Indian physicist carried out groundbreaking work in
> the field of light scattering, which earned him the 1930
> Nobel Prize for Physics? He discovered that when light
> traverses a transparent material, some of the deflected
> light changes wavelength. This effect and the resulting
> type of scattering are both named for him.

Bose (?)

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Erland Sommarskog

May 26, 2018, 4:50:06 AM5/26/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Science - Half-Full or Half-Empty?
>
> This round is about glass -- a non-crystalline amorphous solid
> that is often transparent. Beyond being decorative, glass has
> widespread practical uses.
>
> 1. What product, used for short- and long-range telecommunications,
> consists of glass components bundled together in a flexible
> sheath?

Fiber cables

> 2. What type of glass is usually made from a combination of two
> or more types of glass, one hard and one soft? The softer layer
> makes the glass more elastic, so it can flex instead of shatter.

Plexiglass

> 3. In medical X-ray facilities, technicians view the patient
> through a glass screen that has been embedded with what
> substance?

Lead

> 8. What type of mirror produces a reflected image that is smaller
> than the object, but gets larger as the object approaches the
> glass? Given their large surveillance area, they are commonly
> used as a safety feature on cars, at intersections of building
> hallways and on automated banking machines.

Concave mirrors

> 9. What type of glass is created by controlled thermal or chemical
> treatments to increase its strength, putting the outer surfaces
> into compression and the interior into tension? Such stresses
> cause the glass, when broken, to crumble into small granular
> chunks instead of splintering into jagged shards. The granular
> chunks are less likely to cause injury.

Duralex

> 10. In the 16th century, a method of making mirrors out of plate
> glass was developed by glassmakers who covered the back of the
> glass with a mercury-tin amalgam, obtaining near-perfect and
> undistorted reflection. Name the city which became the center
> of this manufacturing process.

Florence

> * A. Cities in India
>
> A1. Which city is the capital of the Indian state of West Bengal?
> The city is widely regarded as the "cultural capital"
> of India, and is also nicknamed the "City of Joy".

Kolkatta

> A2. Which city is the capital of the Indian state of Maharashtra?
> It is also the most populous city in India with an estimated
> population of 12,400,000 in the city proper as of 2011.

Mumbai

> * B. Gandhi
>
> B1. In what year was Mohandas, or Mahatma, Gandhi assassinated
> by a Hindu nationalist?

1947

> B2. In what year did Gandhi famously lead Indians in challenging
> the British-imposed salt tax with the 400 km Salt March to
> Dandi?

1933

> C2. Which of Rushdie's novels caused immediate controversy
> in the Islamic world because of what was seen by some to
> be an irreverent depiction of Muhammad? In 1989 a fatwa
> ordering Rushdie's execution was proclaimed by Ayatollah
> Khomeini because of this novel.

The Satan Verses

Peter Smyth

May 26, 2018, 5:09:13 AM5/26/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Science - Half-Full or Half-Empty?
>
> This round is about glass -- a non-crystalline amorphous solid
> that is often transparent. Beyond being decorative, glass has
> widespread practical uses.
>
> 1. What product, used for short- and long-range telecommunications,
> consists of glass components bundled together in a flexible
> sheath?
Fiber Optics
> 2. What type of glass is usually made from a combination of two
> or more types of glass, one hard and one soft? The softer layer
> makes the glass more elastic, so it can flex instead of shatter.
Reinforced Safety glass
> 3. In medical X-ray facilities, technicians view the patient
> through a glass screen that has been embedded with what
> substance?
Lead
> 4. What type of narrow-necked laboratory glassware, typically
> conical or spherical, and used to hold reagents or samples,
> has variations known as Florence, Schlenk, and Erlenmeyer?
Flask
> 5. What type of laboratory glassware is used to culture living
> cells?
Petri dish
> 6. Made by melting and stretching the glass, what type of glass
> is known for being lightweight, corrosion-resistant and a good
> insulator, making it popular in the construction industry?
> Its form also becomes stronger as the glass ages.
>
> 7. What is the name for the piece of glass, typically 75 mm ×
> 26 mm wide and about 1 mm thick, used to hold samples for
> close and precisely movable examination in optical microscopes,
> the kind you may have used in a high-school biology class?
>
> 8. What type of mirror produces a reflected image that is smaller
> than the object, but gets larger as the object approaches the
> glass? Given their large surveillance area, they are commonly
> used as a safety feature on cars, at intersections of building
> hallways and on automated banking machines.
Convex
> 9. What type of glass is created by controlled thermal or chemical
> treatments to increase its strength, putting the outer surfaces
> into compression and the interior into tension? Such stresses
> cause the glass, when broken, to crumble into small granular
> chunks instead of splintering into jagged shards. The granular
> chunks are less likely to cause injury.
Reinforced Safety glass
> 10. In the 16th century, a method of making mirrors out of plate
> glass was developed by glassmakers who covered the back of the
> glass with a mercury-tin amalgam, obtaining near-perfect and
> undistorted reflection. Name the city which became the center
> of this manufacturing process.
>
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: If you said
> "safety glass" for any answer, please go back and be more specific.
>

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - India
>
> * A. Cities in India
>
> A1. Which city is the capital of the Indian state of West Bengal?
> The city is widely regarded as the "cultural capital"
> of India, and is also nicknamed the "City of Joy".
Kolkatta
> A2. Which city is the capital of the Indian state of Maharashtra?
> It is also the most populous city in India with an estimated
> population of 12,400,000 in the city proper as of 2011.
Mumbai

> * B. Gandhi
>
> B1. In what year was Mohandas, or Mahatma, Gandhi assassinated
> by a Hindu nationalist?
>
> B2. In what year did Gandhi famously lead Indians in challenging
> the British-imposed salt tax with the 400 km Salt March to
> Dandi?
>

> * C. Salman Rushdie
>
> C1. Which of Rushdie's novels deals with India's transition
> from British colonialism to independence and the partition of
> British India? It is considered an example of postcolonial,
> postmodern, and magical-realist literature, and it won the
> Booker Prize in 1981.
Midnights Children
> C2. Which of Rushdie's novels caused immediate controversy
> in the Islamic world because of what was seen by some to
> be an irreverent depiction of Muhammad? In 1989 a fatwa
> ordering Rushdie's execution was proclaimed by Ayatollah
> Khomeini because of this novel.
Satanic Verses

> * D. Bollywood Actresses
>
> These actresses have appeared in Western media too, so you may
> have heard of them.
>
> D1. Which actress stars as Alex Parrish on the ABC thriller
> series "Quantico"? She also played the villain Victoria
> Leeds in the recent "Baywatch" movie, opposite Dwayne
> Johnson and Zac Efron.
>
> D2. Which actress and model was the winner of the Miss World
> 1994 pageant? You might recognize her from her starring role
> opposite Martin Henderson in 2004's "Bride and Prejudice",
> or you might recognize her trademark blue eyes.
>

> * E. Indian Athletes
>
> E1. Which Indian professional tennis player is considered to be
> one of the best doubles and mixed doubles players of all
> time? He has won 8 doubles and 10 mixed doubles Grand Slam
> titles, and is the oldest man to have won a Grand Slam title.
Leander Paes
> E2. Which retired Indian cricketer and former national team
> captain is regarded as one of the greatest batsmen to ever
> play the game? He is the highest run-scorer of all time
> in International cricket.
Sachin Tendulkar

> * F. Indian Physicists and Mathematicians
>
> F1. Which Indian mathematician, born in 1916, made substantial
> contributions to mathematical analysis, number theory,
> infinite series, and continued fractions? The 2015 film
> "The Man Who Knew Infinity" was based on his life.
Ramathamaran (probably not close enough but I know who you mean!)
> F2. Which Indian physicist carried out groundbreaking work in
> the field of light scattering, which earned him the 1930
> Nobel Prize for Physics? He discovered that when light
> traverses a transparent material, some of the deflected
> light changes wavelength. This effect and the resulting
> type of scattering are both named for him.

Peter Smyth

Dan Blum

May 26, 2018, 9:58:33 AM5/26/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Science - Half-Full or Half-Empty?

> 1. What product, used for short- and long-range telecommunications,
> consists of glass components bundled together in a flexible
> sheath?

fiber optics cable

> 2. What type of glass is usually made from a combination of two
> or more types of glass, one hard and one soft? The softer layer
> makes the glass more elastic, so it can flex instead of shatter.

automobile window glass

> 3. In medical X-ray facilities, technicians view the patient
> through a glass screen that has been embedded with what
> substance?

lead

> 4. What type of narrow-necked laboratory glassware, typically
> conical or spherical, and used to hold reagents or samples,
> has variations known as Florence, Schlenk, and Erlenmeyer?

flask

> 5. What type of laboratory glassware is used to culture living
> cells?

petri dish

> 6. Made by melting and stretching the glass, what type of glass
> is known for being lightweight, corrosion-resistant and a good
> insulator, making it popular in the construction industry?
> Its form also becomes stronger as the glass ages.

fiberglass

> 7. What is the name for the piece of glass, typically 75 mm ?
> 26 mm wide and about 1 mm thick, used to hold samples for
> close and precisely movable examination in optical microscopes,
> the kind you may have used in a high-school biology class?

slide

> 8. What type of mirror produces a reflected image that is smaller
> than the object, but gets larger as the object approaches the
> glass? Given their large surveillance area, they are commonly
> used as a safety feature on cars, at intersections of building
> hallways and on automated banking machines.

convex

> 9. What type of glass is created by controlled thermal or chemical
> treatments to increase its strength, putting the outer surfaces
> into compression and the interior into tension? Such stresses
> cause the glass, when broken, to crumble into small granular
> chunks instead of splintering into jagged shards. The granular
> chunks are less likely to cause injury.

automobile window glass

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - India

> * A. Cities in India

> A1. Which city is the capital of the Indian state of West Bengal?
> The city is widely regarded as the "cultural capital"
> of India, and is also nicknamed the "City of Joy".

Hyderabad

> A2. Which city is the capital of the Indian state of Maharashtra?
> It is also the most populous city in India with an estimated
> population of 12,400,000 in the city proper as of 2011.

Mumbai

> * B. Gandhi

> B1. In what year was Mohandas, or Mahatma, Gandhi assassinated
> by a Hindu nationalist?

1948

> B2. In what year did Gandhi famously lead Indians in challenging
> the British-imposed salt tax with the 400 km Salt March to
> Dandi?

1920

> * C. Salman Rushdie

> C2. Which of Rushdie's novels caused immediate controversy
> in the Islamic world because of what was seen by some to
> be an irreverent depiction of Muhammad? In 1989 a fatwa
> ordering Rushdie's execution was proclaimed by Ayatollah
> Khomeini because of this novel.

The Satanic Verses

> * D. Bollywood Actresses

> D1. Which actress stars as Alex Parrish on the ABC thriller
> series "Quantico"? She also played the villain Victoria
> Leeds in the recent "Baywatch" movie, opposite Dwayne
> Johnson and Zac Efron.

Panjabi

> D2. Which actress and model was the winner of the Miss World
> 1994 pageant? You might recognize her from her starring role
> opposite Martin Henderson in 2004's "Bride and Prejudice",
> or you might recognize her trademark blue eyes.

Panjabi

> * E. Indian Athletes

> E1. Which Indian professional tennis player is considered to be
> one of the best doubles and mixed doubles players of all
> time? He has won 8 doubles and 10 mixed doubles Grand Slam
> titles, and is the oldest man to have won a Grand Slam title.

Singh

> * F. Indian Physicists and Mathematicians

> F1. Which Indian mathematician, born in 1916, made substantial
> contributions to mathematical analysis, number theory,
> infinite series, and continued fractions? The 2015 film
> "The Man Who Knew Infinity" was based on his life.

Ramanujan

> F2. Which Indian physicist carried out groundbreaking work in
> the field of light scattering, which earned him the 1930
> Nobel Prize for Physics? He discovered that when light
> traverses a transparent material, some of the deflected
> light changes wavelength. This effect and the resulting
> type of scattering are both named for him.

Bose

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Tilque

May 26, 2018, 12:36:40 PM5/26/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Science - Half-Full or Half-Empty?
>
> This round is about glass -- a non-crystalline amorphous solid
> that is often transparent. Beyond being decorative, glass has
> widespread practical uses.
>
> 1. What product, used for short- and long-range telecommunications,
> consists of glass components bundled together in a flexible
> sheath?

fiber optics

> 2. What type of glass is usually made from a combination of two
> or more types of glass, one hard and one soft? The softer layer
> makes the glass more elastic, so it can flex instead of shatter.

pyrex

> 3. In medical X-ray facilities, technicians view the patient
> through a glass screen that has been embedded with what
> substance?

lead

> 4. What type of narrow-necked laboratory glassware, typically
> conical or spherical, and used to hold reagents or samples,
> has variations known as Florence, Schlenk, and Erlenmeyer?

flask

> 5. What type of laboratory glassware is used to culture living
> cells?

Petri dish

> 6. Made by melting and stretching the glass, what type of glass
> is known for being lightweight, corrosion-resistant and a good
> insulator, making it popular in the construction industry?
> Its form also becomes stronger as the glass ages.

fiberglass

> 7. What is the name for the piece of glass, typically 75 mm ×
> 26 mm wide and about 1 mm thick, used to hold samples for
> close and precisely movable examination in optical microscopes,
> the kind you may have used in a high-school biology class?

slide

> 8. What type of mirror produces a reflected image that is smaller
> than the object, but gets larger as the object approaches the
> glass? Given their large surveillance area, they are commonly
> used as a safety feature on cars, at intersections of building
> hallways and on automated banking machines.

convex

> 9. What type of glass is created by controlled thermal or chemical
> treatments to increase its strength, putting the outer surfaces
> into compression and the interior into tension? Such stresses
> cause the glass, when broken, to crumble into small granular
> chunks instead of splintering into jagged shards. The granular
> chunks are less likely to cause injury.

windshield safety glass

> 10. In the 16th century, a method of making mirrors out of plate
> glass was developed by glassmakers who covered the back of the
> glass with a mercury-tin amalgam, obtaining near-perfect and
> undistorted reflection. Name the city which became the center
> of this manufacturing process.

Venice

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
> "fnsrgl tynff" sbe nal nafjre, cyrnfr tb onpx naq or zber fcrpvsvp.
>

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - India
>
> * A. Cities in India
>
> A1. Which city is the capital of the Indian state of West Bengal?
> The city is widely regarded as the "cultural capital"
> of India, and is also nicknamed the "City of Joy".

Calcutta

> A2. Which city is the capital of the Indian state of Maharashtra?
> It is also the most populous city in India with an estimated
> population of 12,400,000 in the city proper as of 2011.

Bombay

> * B. Gandhi
>
> B1. In what year was Mohandas, or Mahatma, Gandhi assassinated
> by a Hindu nationalist?
>
> B2. In what year did Gandhi famously lead Indians in challenging
> the British-imposed salt tax with the 400 km Salt March to
> Dandi?

1946

> * C. Salman Rushdie
>
> C1. Which of Rushdie's novels deals with India's transition
> from British colonialism to independence and the partition of
> British India? It is considered an example of postcolonial,
> postmodern, and magical-realist literature, and it won the
> Booker Prize in 1981.
>
> C2. Which of Rushdie's novels caused immediate controversy
> in the Islamic world because of what was seen by some to
> be an irreverent depiction of Muhammad? In 1989 a fatwa
> ordering Rushdie's execution was proclaimed by Ayatollah
> Khomeini because of this novel.

Satanic Verses
Ramanujan

> F2. Which Indian physicist carried out groundbreaking work in
> the field of light scattering, which earned him the 1930
> Nobel Prize for Physics? He discovered that when light
> traverses a transparent material, some of the deflected
> light changes wavelength. This effect and the resulting
> type of scattering are both named for him.

Chandrasekar ?

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

May 27, 2018, 1:09:07 PM5/27/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:V4qdnUsX_-F1bZXGnZ2dnUU7-
SPN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-03-12,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Science - Half-Full or Half-Empty?
>
> This round is about glass -- a non-crystalline amorphous solid
> that is often transparent. Beyond being decorative, glass has
> widespread practical uses.
>
> 1. What product, used for short- and long-range telecommunications,
> consists of glass components bundled together in a flexible
> sheath?

Fiber optic cable

> 2. What type of glass is usually made from a combination of two
> or more types of glass, one hard and one soft? The softer layer
> makes the glass more elastic, so it can flex instead of shatter.
>
> 3. In medical X-ray facilities, technicians view the patient
> through a glass screen that has been embedded with what
> substance?
>
> 4. What type of narrow-necked laboratory glassware, typically
> conical or spherical, and used to hold reagents or samples,
> has variations known as Florence, Schlenk, and Erlenmeyer?

Flask

> 5. What type of laboratory glassware is used to culture living
> cells?

Petri dish

> 6. Made by melting and stretching the glass, what type of glass
> is known for being lightweight, corrosion-resistant and a good
> insulator, making it popular in the construction industry?
> Its form also becomes stronger as the glass ages.
>
> 7. What is the name for the piece of glass, typically 75 mm ×
> 26 mm wide and about 1 mm thick, used to hold samples for
> close and precisely movable examination in optical microscopes,
> the kind you may have used in a high-school biology class?

Pipette

> 8. What type of mirror produces a reflected image that is smaller
> than the object, but gets larger as the object approaches the
> glass? Given their large surveillance area, they are commonly
> used as a safety feature on cars, at intersections of building
> hallways and on automated banking machines.

Fisheye

> 9. What type of glass is created by controlled thermal or chemical
> treatments to increase its strength, putting the outer surfaces
> into compression and the interior into tension? Such stresses
> cause the glass, when broken, to crumble into small granular
> chunks instead of splintering into jagged shards. The granular
> chunks are less likely to cause injury.

Automobile windshield glass

> 10. In the 16th century, a method of making mirrors out of plate
> glass was developed by glassmakers who covered the back of the
> glass with a mercury-tin amalgam, obtaining near-perfect and
> undistorted reflection. Name the city which became the center
> of this manufacturing process.

Venice; Meissen

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
> "fnsrgl tynff" sbe nal nafjre, cyrnfr tb onpx naq or zber fcrpvsvp.
>

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - India
>
> * A. Cities in India
>
> A1. Which city is the capital of the Indian state of West Bengal?
> The city is widely regarded as the "cultural capital"
> of India, and is also nicknamed the "City of Joy".

Jaipur

> A2. Which city is the capital of the Indian state of Maharashtra?
> It is also the most populous city in India with an estimated
> population of 12,400,000 in the city proper as of 2011.

New Delhi

> * B. Gandhi
>
> B1. In what year was Mohandas, or Mahatma, Gandhi assassinated
> by a Hindu nationalist?

1947; 1948

> B2. In what year did Gandhi famously lead Indians in challenging
> the British-imposed salt tax with the 400 km Salt March to
> Dandi?

1931; 1932

> * C. Salman Rushdie
>
> C1. Which of Rushdie's novels deals with India's transition
> from British colonialism to independence and the partition of
> British India? It is considered an example of postcolonial,
> postmodern, and magical-realist literature, and it won the
> Booker Prize in 1981.
>
> C2. Which of Rushdie's novels caused immediate controversy
> in the Islamic world because of what was seen by some to
> be an irreverent depiction of Muhammad? In 1989 a fatwa
> ordering Rushdie's execution was proclaimed by Ayatollah
> Khomeini because of this novel.

The Satanic Verses

> * D. Bollywood Actresses
>
> These actresses have appeared in Western media too, so you may
> have heard of them.
>
> D1. Which actress stars as Alex Parrish on the ABC thriller
> series "Quantico"? She also played the villain Victoria
> Leeds in the recent "Baywatch" movie, opposite Dwayne
> Johnson and Zac Efron.
>
> D2. Which actress and model was the winner of the Miss World
> 1994 pageant? You might recognize her from her starring role
> opposite Martin Henderson in 2004's "Bride and Prejudice",
> or you might recognize her trademark blue eyes.
>

> * E. Indian Athletes
>
> E1. Which Indian professional tennis player is considered to be
> one of the best doubles and mixed doubles players of all
> time? He has won 8 doubles and 10 mixed doubles Grand Slam
> titles, and is the oldest man to have won a Grand Slam title.
>
> E2. Which retired Indian cricketer and former national team
> captain is regarded as one of the greatest batsmen to ever
> play the game? He is the highest run-scorer of all time
> in International cricket.

Tendulkar

> * F. Indian Physicists and Mathematicians
>
> F1. Which Indian mathematician, born in 1916, made substantial
> contributions to mathematical analysis, number theory,
> infinite series, and continued fractions? The 2015 film
> "The Man Who Knew Infinity" was based on his life.
>
> F2. Which Indian physicist carried out groundbreaking work in
> the field of light scattering, which earned him the 1930
> Nobel Prize for Physics? He discovered that when light
> traverses a transparent material, some of the deflected
> light changes wavelength. This effect and the resulting
> type of scattering are both named for him.

Pete Gayde

Jason Kreitzer

May 27, 2018, 5:37:25 PM5/27/18
On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 1:30:21 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-03-12,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Science - Half-Full or Half-Empty?
>
> This round is about glass -- a non-crystalline amorphous solid
> that is often transparent. Beyond being decorative, glass has
> widespread practical uses.
>
> 1. What product, used for short- and long-range telecommunications,
> consists of glass components bundled together in a flexible
> sheath?
Fiber Optics
> 2. What type of glass is usually made from a combination of two
> or more types of glass, one hard and one soft? The softer layer
> makes the glass more elastic, so it can flex instead of shatter.
>
> 3. In medical X-ray facilities, technicians view the patient
> through a glass screen that has been embedded with what
> substance?
>
> 4. What type of narrow-necked laboratory glassware, typically
> conical or spherical, and used to hold reagents or samples,
> has variations known as Florence, Schlenk, and Erlenmeyer?
Beakers
> 5. What type of laboratory glassware is used to culture living
> cells?
Petri dish
1948
> B2. In what year did Gandhi famously lead Indians in challenging
> the British-imposed salt tax with the 400 km Salt March to
> Dandi?
1920?

> * C. Salman Rushdie
>
> C1. Which of Rushdie's novels deals with India's transition
> from British colonialism to independence and the partition of
> British India? It is considered an example of postcolonial,
> postmodern, and magical-realist literature, and it won the
> Booker Prize in 1981.
>
> C2. Which of Rushdie's novels caused immediate controversy
> in the Islamic world because of what was seen by some to
> be an irreverent depiction of Muhammad? In 1989 a fatwa
> ordering Rushdie's execution was proclaimed by Ayatollah
> Khomeini because of this novel.
"The Satanic Verses"

Calvin

May 27, 2018, 9:24:04 PM5/27/18
On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 3:30:21 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Science - Half-Full or Half-Empty?
>
> This round is about glass -- a non-crystalline amorphous solid
> that is often transparent. Beyond being decorative, glass has
> widespread practical uses.
>
> 1. What product, used for short- and long-range telecommunications,
> consists of glass components bundled together in a flexible
> sheath?

Fibre optic cable

> 2. What type of glass is usually made from a combination of two
> or more types of glass, one hard and one soft? The softer layer
> makes the glass more elastic, so it can flex instead of shatter.

Touch screens

> 3. In medical X-ray facilities, technicians view the patient
> through a glass screen that has been embedded with what
> substance?

Lead

> 4. What type of narrow-necked laboratory glassware, typically
> conical or spherical, and used to hold reagents or samples,
> has variations known as Florence, Schlenk, and Erlenmeyer?

Pipette

> 5. What type of laboratory glassware is used to culture living
> cells?

Pyrex

> 6. Made by melting and stretching the glass, what type of glass
> is known for being lightweight, corrosion-resistant and a good
> insulator, making it popular in the construction industry?
> Its form also becomes stronger as the glass ages.

Pyrex

> 7. What is the name for the piece of glass, typically 75 mm ×
> 26 mm wide and about 1 mm thick, used to hold samples for
> close and precisely movable examination in optical microscopes,
> the kind you may have used in a high-school biology class?

Plate

> 8. What type of mirror produces a reflected image that is smaller
> than the object, but gets larger as the object approaches the
> glass? Given their large surveillance area, they are commonly
> used as a safety feature on cars, at intersections of building
> hallways and on automated banking machines.

Convex, concave

> 9. What type of glass is created by controlled thermal or chemical
> treatments to increase its strength, putting the outer surfaces
> into compression and the interior into tension? Such stresses
> cause the glass, when broken, to crumble into small granular
> chunks instead of splintering into jagged shards. The granular
> chunks are less likely to cause injury.

Safety glass
Didn't realise there was more than one type

> 10. In the 16th century, a method of making mirrors out of plate
> glass was developed by glassmakers who covered the back of the
> glass with a mercury-tin amalgam, obtaining near-perfect and
> undistorted reflection. Name the city which became the center
> of this manufacturing process.

Dunno.

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - India
>
> * A. Cities in India
>
> A1. Which city is the capital of the Indian state of West Bengal?
> The city is widely regarded as the "cultural capital"
> of India, and is also nicknamed the "City of Joy".

Kolkata

> A2. Which city is the capital of the Indian state of Maharashtra?
> It is also the most populous city in India with an estimated
> population of 12,400,000 in the city proper as of 2011.

Mumbai

> * B. Gandhi
>
> B1. In what year was Mohandas, or Mahatma, Gandhi assassinated
> by a Hindu nationalist?
>
> B2. In what year did Gandhi famously lead Indians in challenging
> the British-imposed salt tax with the 400 km Salt March to
> Dandi?
>

> * C. Salman Rushdie
>
> C1. Which of Rushdie's novels deals with India's transition
> from British colonialism to independence and the partition of
> British India? It is considered an example of postcolonial,
> postmodern, and magical-realist literature, and it won the
> Booker Prize in 1981.

Midnight's Children

> C2. Which of Rushdie's novels caused immediate controversy
> in the Islamic world because of what was seen by some to
> be an irreverent depiction of Muhammad? In 1989 a fatwa
> ordering Rushdie's execution was proclaimed by Ayatollah
> Khomeini because of this novel.

The Satanic Verses

> * D. Bollywood Actresses
>
> These actresses have appeared in Western media too, so you may
> have heard of them.
>
> D1. Which actress stars as Alex Parrish on the ABC thriller
> series "Quantico"? She also played the villain Victoria
> Leeds in the recent "Baywatch" movie, opposite Dwayne
> Johnson and Zac Efron.
>
> D2. Which actress and model was the winner of the Miss World
> 1994 pageant? You might recognize her from her starring role
> opposite Martin Henderson in 2004's "Bride and Prejudice",
> or you might recognize her trademark blue eyes.
>

> * E. Indian Athletes
>
> E1. Which Indian professional tennis player is considered to be
> one of the best doubles and mixed doubles players of all
> time? He has won 8 doubles and 10 mixed doubles Grand Slam
> titles, and is the oldest man to have won a Grand Slam title.

Paes

> E2. Which retired Indian cricketer and former national team
> captain is regarded as one of the greatest batsmen to ever
> play the game? He is the highest run-scorer of all time
> in International cricket.

Tendulkar

> * F. Indian Physicists and Mathematicians
>
> F1. Which Indian mathematician, born in 1916, made substantial
> contributions to mathematical analysis, number theory,
> infinite series, and continued fractions? The 2015 film
> "The Man Who Knew Infinity" was based on his life.

Chandrasekhar

> F2. Which Indian physicist carried out groundbreaking work in
> the field of light scattering, which earned him the 1930
> Nobel Prize for Physics? He discovered that when light
> traverses a transparent material, some of the deflected
> light changes wavelength. This effect and the resulting
> type of scattering are both named for him.

Chandrasekhar

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

May 29, 2018, 12:15:43 AM5/29/18
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-03-12,
> see my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 8 is over and the winner is JOSHUA KREITZER. Hearty
congratulations!

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Science - Half-Full or Half-Empty?

> This round is about glass -- a non-crystalline amorphous solid
> that is often transparent. Beyond being decorative, glass has
> widespread practical uses.

> 1. What product, used for short- and long-range telecommunications,
> consists of glass components bundled together in a flexible
> sheath?

Fiber-optic cable. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Erland, Peter, Dan Blum,
Dan Tilque, Pete, Jason, and Calvin.

> 2. What type of glass is usually made from a combination of two
> or more types of glass, one hard and one soft? The softer layer
> makes the glass more elastic, so it can flex instead of shatter.

Bulletproof (or -resistant) glass (or ballistic glass, or transparent
armor).

> 3. In medical X-ray facilities, technicians view the patient
> through a glass screen that has been embedded with what
> substance?

Lead oxide. ("Lead" was sufficient.) 4 for Joshua, Erland, Peter,
Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Calvin.

> 4. What type of narrow-necked laboratory glassware, typically
> conical or spherical, and used to hold reagents or samples,
> has variations known as Florence, Schlenk, and Erlenmeyer?

Flask. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 5. What type of laboratory glassware is used to culture living
> cells?

Petri dish. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Pete,
and Jason.

> 6. Made by melting and stretching the glass, what type of glass
> is known for being lightweight, corrosion-resistant and a good
> insulator, making it popular in the construction industry?
> Its form also becomes stronger as the glass ages.

Fiberglass. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. What is the name for the piece of glass, typically 75 mm ×
> 26 mm wide and about 1 mm thick, used to hold samples for
> close and precisely movable examination in optical microscopes,
> the kind you may have used in a high-school biology class?

Slide. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 8. What type of mirror produces a reflected image that is smaller
> than the object, but gets larger as the object approaches the
> glass? Given their large surveillance area, they are commonly
> used as a safety feature on cars, at intersections of building
> hallways and on automated banking machines.

Convex (or diverging, or fisheye). 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
Pete, and Calvin.

> 9. What type of glass is created by controlled thermal or chemical
> treatments to increase its strength, putting the outer surfaces
> into compression and the interior into tension? Such stresses
> cause the glass, when broken, to crumble into small granular
> chunks instead of splintering into jagged shards. The granular
> chunks are less likely to cause injury.

Toughened or tempered glass. I accepted Duralex, which is a brand
name, and "car window glass". 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Dan Blum.

> 10. In the 16th century, a method of making mirrors out of plate
> glass was developed by glassmakers who covered the back of the
> glass with a mercury-tin amalgam, obtaining near-perfect and
> undistorted reflection. Name the city which became the center
> of this manufacturing process.

Venice (also accepting Murano). 4 for Dan Tilque. 3 for Pete.

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: If you said
> "safety glass" for any answer, please go back and be more specific.

Besides bullet-resistant and tempered glass, a third type of safety
glass is laminated glass, which includes a layer of plastic. This is
the one used in car windshields, so it was not a correct answer to
any question.

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - India

> * A. Cities in India

> A1. Which city is the capital of the Indian state of West Bengal?
> The city is widely regarded as the "cultural capital"
> of India, and is also nicknamed the "City of Joy".

Kolkata (accepting the old spelling, Calcutta). 4 for Joshua,
Erland, Peter, Dan Tilque, and Calvin.

> A2. Which city is the capital of the Indian state of Maharashtra?
> It is also the most populous city in India with an estimated
> population of 12,400,000 in the city proper as of 2011.

Mumbai (accepting the old name, Bombay). 4 for Joshua, Erland,
Peter, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Calvin.

> * B. Gandhi

> B1. In what year was Mohandas, or Mahatma, Gandhi assassinated
> by a Hindu nationalist?

1948. 4 for Dan Blum and Jason. 3 for Joshua. 2 for Pete.

> B2. In what year did Gandhi famously lead Indians in challenging
> the British-imposed salt tax with the 400 km Salt March to
> Dandi?

1930.

> * C. Salman Rushdie

> C1. Which of Rushdie's novels deals with India's transition
> from British colonialism to independence and the partition of
> British India? It is considered an example of postcolonial,
> postmodern, and magical-realist literature, and it won the
> Booker Prize in 1981.

"Midnight's Children". 4 for Joshua, Peter, and Calvin.

> C2. Which of Rushdie's novels caused immediate controversy
> in the Islamic world because of what was seen by some to
> be an irreverent depiction of Muhammad? In 1989 a fatwa
> ordering Rushdie's execution was proclaimed by Ayatollah
> Khomeini because of this novel.

"The Satanic Verses", duh. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
Pete, Jason, and Calvin. 3 for Erland.

> * D. Bollywood Actresses

> These actresses have appeared in Western media too, so you may
> have heard of them.

> D1. Which actress stars as Alex Parrish on the ABC thriller
> series "Quantico"? She also played the villain Victoria
> Leeds in the recent "Baywatch" movie, opposite Dwayne
> Johnson and Zac Efron.

Priyanka Chopra. 4 for Joshua.

> D2. Which actress and model was the winner of the Miss World
> 1994 pageant? You might recognize her from her starring role
> opposite Martin Henderson in 2004's "Bride and Prejudice",
> or you might recognize her trademark blue eyes.

Aishwarya Rai (Bachchan).

> * E. Indian Athletes

> E1. Which Indian professional tennis player is considered to be
> one of the best doubles and mixed doubles players of all
> time? He has won 8 doubles and 10 mixed doubles Grand Slam
> titles, and is the oldest man to have won a Grand Slam title.

Leander Adrian Paes. 4 for Peter and Calvin.

> E2. Which retired Indian cricketer and former national team
> captain is regarded as one of the greatest batsmen to ever
> play the game? He is the highest run-scorer of all time
> in International cricket.

Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar. 4 for Peter, Pete, and Calvin.

> * F. Indian Physicists and Mathematicians

> F1. Which Indian mathematician, born in 1916, made substantial
> contributions to mathematical analysis, number theory,
> infinite series, and continued fractions? The 2015 film
> "The Man Who Knew Infinity" was based on his life.

Srinivasa Ramanujan. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.
"Ramathamaran", as one entrant guessed, was not close enough for
points.

> F2. Which Indian physicist carried out groundbreaking work in
> the field of light scattering, which earned him the 1930
> Nobel Prize for Physics? He discovered that when light
> traverses a transparent material, some of the deflected
> light changes wavelength. This effect and the resulting
> type of scattering are both named for him.

Sir Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Ent Lit Ent Spo Sci Cha FIVE
Joshua Kreitzer 20 32 14 36 24 24 27 143
Dan Blum 8 16 8 32 16 32 16 112
Dan Tilque 12 16 4 12 12 32 16 88
"Calvin" 0 12 7 0 24 12 24 79
Jason Kreitzer 0 36 -- -- 16 8 8 68
Peter Smyth -- -- 8 12 -- 20 24 64
Pete Gayde -- -- -- -- 32 19 10 61
Erland Sommarskog 8 4 4 0 -- 12 11 39
Bruce Bowler 12 16 -- -- -- -- -- 28

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I don't have a life; I have a program." --the Doctor
m...@vex.net | (Michael Piller, Star Trek: Voyager, "Tattoo")