Calvin's Quiz #566

Calvin

Jun 18, 2019, 11:26:34 PM6/18/19

1 In 2012 Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi, the only person convicted for the 1988 bombing of an American jetliner over Lockerbie, died in which country some three years after his humanitarian release from a Scottish prison?
2 Why was the amusement park in Pripyat, Ukraine, which was scheduled to open on 1 May 1986, permanently closed four days earlier?
3 In which European language are all nouns capitalised?
4 Technically speaking, scissors do not cut material but function using what other technique?
5 What was the Collins Dictionary word of the year for 2018? It had seen a four-fold increase in use since 2013, chiefly in relation to plastics.
6 Which Shakespearean play shares its title with a 1935 ballet by Sergei Prokofiev and a 1981 hit by Dire Straits?
7 In mathematics, what is the value of the imaginary number i when squared? (i.e. i^2)
8 Which four-letter exclamation is the catchphrase the Sesame Street character Sherlock Hemlock?
9 What is the two-word Latin term for an argument that has gone on too long, literally to a sickening degree?
10 Which two words complete this quote from a poem by the British author Saki, aka Hector Hugh Munro: "The cook was a good cook, as cooks go; and as cooks go, …"?

Answers will not appear before 1st July.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jun 19, 2019, 2:32:58 AM6/19/19
"Calvin":
> 1 In 2012 Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi, the only person
> convicted for the 1988 bombing of an American jetliner over
> Lockerbie, died in which country some three years after his
> humanitarian release from a Scottish prison?

Libya?

> 2 Why was the amusement park in Pripyat, Ukraine, which was
> scheduled to open on 1 May 1986, permanently closed four days
> earlier?

The nuclear accident at Chernobyl.

> 3 In which European language are all nouns capitalised?

German.

> 4 Technically speaking, scissors do not cut material but
> function using what other technique?

They tear it.

> 5 What was the Collins Dictionary word of the year for 2018?
> It had seen a four-fold increase in use since 2013, chiefly in
> relation to plastics.

"Garbage patch"?

> 6 Which Shakespearean play shares its title with a 1935 ballet
> by Sergei Prokofiev and a 1981 hit by Dire Straits?

"Othello"?

> 7 In mathematics, what is the value of the imaginary number i
> when squared? (i.e. i^2)

-1.

> 8 Which four-letter exclamation is the catchphrase the Sesame
> Street character Sherlock Hemlock?

Egad?

> 9 What is the two-word Latin term for an argument that has
> gone on too long, literally to a sickening degree?

Ad nauseam.

> 10 Which two words complete this quote from a poem by the
> British author Saki, aka Hector Hugh Munro: "The cook was a
> good cook, as cooks go; and as cooks go, ..."?

She went?
--
Mark Brader | "...she was quite surprised to find that she remained
Toronto | the same size: to be sure, this generally happens

Dan Blum

Jun 19, 2019, 9:38:03 AM6/19/19
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 In 2012 Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi, the only person convicted for the 1988 bombing of an American jetliner over Lockerbie, died in which country some three years after his humanitarian release from a Scottish prison?

Libya

> 2 Why was the amusement park??in??Pripyat,??Ukraine, which was scheduled to open on 1 May 1986, permanently closed four days earlier?

contamination from the Chernobyl disaster

> 3 In which European language are all nouns capitalised?

German

> 7 In mathematics, what is the value of the imaginary number i when squared? (i.e. i^2)

-1

> 8 Which four-letter exclamation is the catchphrase the Sesame Street??character Sherlock Hemlock?

Egad!

> 9 What is the two-word Latin term for an argument that has gone on too long, literally to a sickening degree?

ad nauseam

> 10 Which two words complete this quote from a poem by the British author Saki, aka Hector Hugh Munro: "The cook was a good cook, as cooks go; and as cooks go, ???"?

she went

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 19, 2019, 2:47:53 PM6/19/19
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 In 2012 Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi, the only person convicted for
> the 1988 bombing of an American jetliner over Lockerbie, died in which
> country some three years after his humanitarian release from a Scottish
> prison?

Libya

> 2 Why was the amusement park in Pripyat, Ukraine, which was
> scheduled to open on 1 May 1986, permanently closed four days earlier?

Because they no longer had any prospective visitors. Nor did they all
of a sudden have any staff - everyone had left town.

I have been there. It's an eerie place.

> 3 In which European language are all nouns capitalised?

gERMAN.

> 7 In mathematics, what is the value of the imaginary number i when
> squared? (i.e. i^2)

-1

> 8 Which four-letter exclamation is the catchphrase the Sesame
> Street character Sherlock Hemlock?

Ouch

> 9 What is the two-word Latin term for an argument that has gone on
> too long, literally to a sickening degree?

Ad nauseum

Pete Gayde

Jun 20, 2019, 12:54:13 AM6/20/19
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 In 2012 Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi, the only person convicted
> for the 1988 bombing of an American jetliner over Lockerbie, died in
> which country some three years after his humanitarian release from a
> Scottish prison?

Libya

> 2 Why was the amusement
> park in Pripyat, Ukraine, which was scheduled to open on 1 May
> 1986, permanently closed four days earlier?

Chernobyl disaster

> 3 In which European language are all nouns capitalised?

Moscow

> 4 Technically speaking,
> scissors do not cut material but function using what other technique?

Cleaving

> 5 What was the Collins Dictionary word of the year for 2018? It
> had seen a four-fold increase in use since 2013, chiefly in relation
> to plastics.
> 6 Which Shakespearean play shares its title with a
> 1935 ballet by Sergei Prokofiev and a 1981 hit by Dire Straits?

Romeo and Juliet

1

> 8 Which four-letter exclamation is the
> catchphrase the Sesame Street character Sherlock Hemlock?

Egad

> 9 What
> is the two-word Latin term for an argument that has gone on too long,
> literally to a sickening degree?

Ad Nauseum

> 10 Which two words complete this
> quote from a poem by the British author Saki, aka Hector Hugh Munro:
> "The cook was a good cook, as cooks go; and as cooks go, …"?

he went

> Answers will not appear before 1st July.
>
> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Jun 20, 2019, 1:06:53 AM6/20/19
"Calvin":
> > 3 In which European language are all nouns capitalised?

Pete Gayde:
> Moscow

Interesting language.

Pete may have been thinking of the fact that Russian has no instances
of capital letters that are shaped differently from the corresponding
lower-case ones the way E, G, and many others are in English. I could
see this creating a false impression that Russian does not have lower-case
letters at all.
--
Mark Brader | "Next time I will proofread my before sending it out. ;-)"
Toronto | --Kevin Rushforth

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 20, 2019, 7:22:45 AM6/20/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Pete may have been thinking of the fact that Russian has no instances
> of capital letters that are shaped differently from the corresponding
> lower-case ones the way E, G, and many others are in English. I could
> see this creating a false impression that Russian does not have lower-case
> letters at all.

That is not entirely correct. It is true that in Cyrillic that most
lowercase letters in *print* face are just smaller versions of their
uppercase caracters. But some are different, for instance A and E,
where Cyrillic also has "a" and "e".

Cyrillic lowercase can also be written with a cursive glyphs (or whatever
the exact term). In this style, there are more lowercase that are different
from the uppercase letters. These are mainly used with hand-
writing, but they can also be used in print, and they can be quite
confusing for someone who is more used to read the Latin script. To wit,
many of these lowercase shapes are identical with the Latin characters -
but the mapping is different. For instance, if you see the shape "m"
in Cyrillic text, that is not a lowercase M - it's a lowercase T!

Pete Gayde

Jun 20, 2019, 11:59:10 AM6/20/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> "Calvin":
>> > 3 In which European language are all nouns capitalised?
>
> Pete Gayde:
>> Moscow
>
> Interesting language.
>
> Pete may have been thinking of the fact that Russian has no instances
> of capital letters that are shaped differently from the corresponding
> lower-case ones the way E, G, and many others are in English. I could
> see this creating a false impression that Russian does not have
> lower-case letters at all.

Actually, Pete misread the question and immediately wished that he could
have edited his response after he submitted it (similar to the quote in
Mark's signature).

Pete

Mark Brader

Jun 20, 2019, 5:39:37 PM6/20/19
Erland Sommarskog:
> That is not entirely correct. It is true that in Cyrillic that most
> lowercase letters in *print* face are just smaller versions of their
> uppercase caracters. But some are different, for instance A and E,
> where Cyrillic also has "a" and "e".
>
> Cyrillic lowercase can also be written with a cursive glyphs (or whatever
> the exact term). In this style, there are more lowercase that are different
> from the uppercase letters. These are mainly used with hand-
> writing...

You're right, I forgot about handwritten Russian. Thanks.
--
Mark Brader "This must be a serious issue!
Toronto It's spawned a new interjection!"

Dan Tilque

Jun 23, 2019, 6:57:35 PM6/23/19
On 6/18/19 8:26 PM, Calvin wrote:

> 1 In 2012 Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi, the only person convicted for the 1988 bombing of an American jetliner over Lockerbie, died in which country some three years after his humanitarian release from a Scottish prison?

Libya

> 2 Why was the amusement park in Pripyat, Ukraine, which was scheduled to open on 1 May 1986, permanently closed four days earlier?

Chernobyl

> 3 In which European language are all nouns capitalised?

German

> 4 Technically speaking, scissors do not cut material but function using what other technique?
> 5 What was the Collins Dictionary word of the year for 2018? It had seen a four-fold increase in use since 2013, chiefly in relation to plastics.
> 6 Which Shakespearean play shares its title with a 1935 ballet by Sergei Prokofiev and a 1981 hit by Dire Straits?
> 7 In mathematics, what is the value of the imaginary number i when squared? (i.e. i^2)

-1

> 8 Which four-letter exclamation is the catchphrase the Sesame Street character Sherlock Hemlock?

Elementary, my dear <name of sidekick, who I suspect is not Watson>

> 9 What is the two-word Latin term for an argument that has gone on too long, literally to a sickening degree?

ad nauseum

> 10 Which two words complete this quote from a poem by the British author Saki, aka Hector Hugh Munro: "The cook was a good cook, as cooks go; and as cooks go, …"?

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Jul 1, 2019, 12:54:25 AM7/1/19
On Wednesday, June 19, 2019 at 1:26:34 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 In 2012 Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi, the only person convicted for the 1988 bombing of an American jetliner over Lockerbie, died in which country some three years after his humanitarian release from a Scottish prison?

Libya

> 2 Why was the amusement park in Pripyat, Ukraine, which was scheduled to open on 1 May 1986, permanently closed four days earlier?

Chernobyl nuclear disaster

> 3 In which European language are all nouns capitalised?

German

> 4 Technically speaking, scissors do not cut material but function using what other technique?

Shearing
No-one got this

> 5 What was the Collins Dictionary word of the year for 2018? It had seen a four-fold increase in use since 2013, chiefly in relation to plastics.

Single-use
Or this, though it is cheating a bit to call it a word.

> 6 Which Shakespearean play shares its title with a 1935 ballet by Sergei Prokofiev and a 1981 hit by Dire Straits?

Romeo and Juliet
Singleton for Pete

> 7 In mathematics, what is the value of the imaginary number i when squared? (i.e. i^2)

-1

> 8 Which four-letter exclamation is the catchphrase the Sesame Street character Sherlock Hemlock?

Egad!

> 9 What is the two-word Latin term for an argument that has gone on too long, literally to a sickening degree?

Ad nauseum

> 10 Which two words complete this quote from a poem by the British author Saki, aka Hector Hugh Munro: "The cook was a good cook, as cooks go; and as cooks go, …"?

She went [accepting he]

> Answers will not appear before 1st July.

For some time zones.

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB 566
1 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 7 29 Mark Brader
1 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 7 29 Dan Blum
1 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 6 22 Pete Gayde
1 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 5 23 Dan Tilque
1 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 5 23 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
5 5 4 0 0 1 4 3 5 3 30 60%

Congratulations Mark and Dan B.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jul 1, 2019, 2:03:31 AM7/1/19
"Calvin":
> > 4 Technically speaking, scissors do not cut material but function using what other technique?
>
> Shearing
> No-one got this

Isn't it a form of tearing?

> Congratulations Mark and Dan B.

Thanks.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
"History tells us that the Boston 'T' Party was succeeded

Calvin

Jul 2, 2019, 8:50:05 PM7/2/19
On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 4:03:31 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> "Calvin":
> > > 4 Technically speaking, scissors do not cut material but function using what other technique?
> >
> > Shearing
> > No-one got this
>
> Isn't it a form of tearing?

There was a similar protest in the original game. It is a form of tearing, but tearing does not require a blade and does not necessarily make a clean cut so that answer was ruled insufficiently specific. Sorry.

cheers,
calvin