QFTCI16 Current Events 9

Mark Brader

Jul 20, 2016, 2:56:55 AM7/20/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-07-18,
and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers have changed
due to newer news, you are still expected to give the answers that
were correct on that date.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the questions and place your answer below each one.) I will
reveal the correct answers in about 12 days, and then post the
current-events round from Game 10.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 9 (2016-07-18), Round 1 - Current Events

1. It was announced last week that *which sports organization*
would be sold for $4,000,000,000? The buyer is a group led by
a Hollywood talent agency.

2. A 29-year-old American ballet dancer, Melanie Hamrick, is
expecting a child. Who's the daddy?

3. Last week Forbes magazine published its list of the highest-paid
celebrities in 2015. Who was on top, with earnings last year
of $170,000,000 US?

4. Has madness overtaken the land, with people walking the
streets and parks, looking for monsters that aren't there? No,
it's a so-called "augmented reality" game that's had hundreds of
millions of downloads. In Canada, on Wednesday it was reported
as being on 6% of Android devices already, even though it didn't
officially become available until yesterday.

5. Clearly events in France have made this next question very
trivial indeed, but we have to ask it anyway. French president
François Hollande came in for heavy mockery last week when
it was revealed that one of his staff members was being paid
almost 10,000 euros per month for doing what job?

6. He's taken home three Grammys in his career, and now this
81-year-old Canadian musician has won big again, this time
garnering the $1,000,000 grand prize in a London, Ontario,
charity lotto. Name him.

7. With their piety presumably superior to their record-keeping,
this Canadian religious organization announced last week that
a proposal to provide same-sex church marriages had missed the
required supermajority by 1 vote -- and then, the next day,
that some votes had been wrongly recorded and the measure had
actually passed. Name that Canadian religious organization.

8. On Friday the Sith Lord Trump announced the identity of his
latest apprentice, as well as a highly mockable logo, since wiped
from his website. Okay, so name The Donald's vice-presidential
running mate.

9. Last Monday Justin Trudeau signed a free-trade agreement with
which country?

10. Which agency of the Canadian government sent out its first
tweet last week, saying "Now it's your turn to follow us"?

--
Mark Brader | And the customary practice seems to be "FIRST,
Toronto | let the cat out of the bag; THEN inform you

Marc Dashevsky

Jul 20, 2016, 3:11:50 AM7/20/16
In article <DrSdnXRwONMvvRLK...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 9 (2016-07-18), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. It was announced last week that *which sports organization*
> would be sold for $4,000,000,000? The buyer is a group led by
> a Hollywood talent agency.
>
> 2. A 29-year-old American ballet dancer, Melanie Hamrick, is
> expecting a child. Who's the daddy?
>
> 3. Last week Forbes magazine published its list of the highest-paid
> celebrities in 2015. Who was on top, with earnings last year
> of $170,000,000 US?
>
> 4. Has madness overtaken the land, with people walking the
> streets and parks, looking for monsters that aren't there? No,
> it's a so-called "augmented reality" game that's had hundreds of
> millions of downloads. In Canada, on Wednesday it was reported
> as being on 6% of Android devices already, even though it didn't
> officially become available until yesterday.
Pokemon Go

> 5. Clearly events in France have made this next question very
> trivial indeed, but we have to ask it anyway. French president
> François Hollande came in for heavy mockery last week when
> it was revealed that one of his staff members was being paid
> almost 10,000 euros per month for doing what job?
>
> 6. He's taken home three Grammys in his career, and now this
> 81-year-old Canadian musician has won big again, this time
> garnering the $1,000,000 grand prize in a London, Ontario,
> charity lotto. Name him.
Leonard Cohen

> 7. With their piety presumably superior to their record-keeping,
> this Canadian religious organization announced last week that
> a proposal to provide same-sex church marriages had missed the
> required supermajority by 1 vote -- and then, the next day,
> that some votes had been wrongly recorded and the measure had
> actually passed. Name that Canadian religious organization.
>
> 8. On Friday the Sith Lord Trump announced the identity of his
> latest apprentice, as well as a highly mockable logo, since wiped
> from his website. Okay, so name The Donald's vice-presidential
> running mate.
Pence

> 9. Last Monday Justin Trudeau signed a free-trade agreement with
> which country?
>
> 10. Which agency of the Canadian government sent out its first
> tweet last week, saying "Now it's your turn to follow us"?

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 20, 2016, 4:30:27 AM7/20/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 9 (2016-07-18), Round 1 - Current Events
> 4. Has madness overtaken the land, with people walking the
> streets and parks, looking for monsters that aren't there? No,
> it's a so-called "augmented reality" game that's had hundreds of
> millions of downloads. In Canada, on Wednesday it was reported
> as being on 6% of Android devices already, even though it didn't
> officially become available until yesterday.

To the only question given above, my answer is "it's only the land of
Canada, but rather the entire globe has gone mad over Pokémon Go it
seems".

> 5. Clearly events in France have made this next question very
> trivial indeed, but we have to ask it anyway. French president
> François Hollande came in for heavy mockery last week when
> it was revealed that one of his staff members was being paid
> almost 10,000 euros per month for doing what job?

Being his hairdresser

> 6. He's taken home three Grammys in his career, and now this
> 81-year-old Canadian musician has won big again, this time
> garnering the $1,000,000 grand prize in a London, Ontario,
> charity lotto. Name him.

Leonoard Cohen

> 8. On Friday the Sith Lord Trump announced the identity of his
> latest apprentice, as well as a highly mockable logo, since wiped
> from his website. Okay, so name The Donald's vice-presidential
> running mate.

Mike Pence

> 9. Last Monday Justin Trudeau signed a free-trade agreement with
> which country?

China

Dan Blum

Jul 20, 2016, 10:26:21 AM7/20/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 9 (2016-07-18), Round 1 - Current Events

> 3. Last week Forbes magazine published its list of the highest-paid
> celebrities in 2015. Who was on top, with earnings last year
> of $170,000,000 US?

Oprah Winfrey; Beyonce

> 4. Has madness overtaken the land, with people walking the
> streets and parks, looking for monsters that aren't there? No,
> it's a so-called "augmented reality" game that's had hundreds of
> millions of downloads. In Canada, on Wednesday it was reported
> as being on 6% of Android devices already, even though it didn't
> officially become available until yesterday.

Pokemon Go

> 5. Clearly events in France have made this next question very
> trivial indeed, but we have to ask it anyway. French president
> Fran?ois Hollande came in for heavy mockery last week when
> it was revealed that one of his staff members was being paid
> almost 10,000 euros per month for doing what job?

cutting his hair

> 8. On Friday the Sith Lord Trump announced the identity of his
> latest apprentice, as well as a highly mockable logo, since wiped
> from his website. Okay, so name The Donald's vice-presidential
> running mate.

Mike Pence

> 9. Last Monday Justin Trudeau signed a free-trade agreement with
> which country?

Japan; China

> 10. Which agency of the Canadian government sent out its first
> tweet last week, saying "Now it's your turn to follow us"?

RCMP

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Peter Smyth

Jul 20, 2016, 1:32:13 PM7/20/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9 (2016-07-18), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. It was announced last week that *which sports organization*
> would be sold for $4,000,000,000? The buyer is a group led by
> a Hollywood talent agency.
UFC
> 2. A 29-year-old American ballet dancer, Melanie Hamrick, is
> expecting a child. Who's the daddy?
Hamrick
> 3. Last week Forbes magazine published its list of the highest-paid
> celebrities in 2015. Who was on top, with earnings last year
> of $170,000,000 US?
Beyonce, Kanye West
> 4. Has madness overtaken the land, with people walking the
> streets and parks, looking for monsters that aren't there? No,
> it's a so-called "augmented reality" game that's had hundreds of
> millions of downloads. In Canada, on Wednesday it was reported
> as being on 6% of Android devices already, even though it didn't
> officially become available until yesterday.
The only question in that paragraph appears to be the first sentence,
in which case my answer is "Yes". (or Pokemon Go)
> 5. Clearly events in France have made this next question very
> trivial indeed, but we have to ask it anyway. French president
> François Hollande came in for heavy mockery last week when
> it was revealed that one of his staff members was being paid
> almost 10,000 euros per month for doing what job?
Cutting his hair
> 6. He's taken home three Grammys in his career, and now this
> 81-year-old Canadian musician has won big again, this time
> garnering the $1,000,000 grand prize in a London, Ontario,
> charity lotto. Name him.
Leonard Cohen
> 7. With their piety presumably superior to their record-keeping,
> this Canadian religious organization announced last week that
> a proposal to provide same-sex church marriages had missed the
> required supermajority by 1 vote -- and then, the next day,
> that some votes had been wrongly recorded and the measure had
> actually passed. Name that Canadian religious organization.
the Canadian branch of the Anglican Church
> 8. On Friday the Sith Lord Trump announced the identity of his
> latest apprentice, as well as a highly mockable logo, since wiped
> from his website. Okay, so name The Donald's vice-presidential
> running mate.
Mike Pence
> 9. Last Monday Justin Trudeau signed a free-trade agreement with
> which country?
>
> 10. Which agency of the Canadian government sent out its first
> tweet last week, saying "Now it's your turn to follow us"?

Peter Smyth

Pete

Jul 20, 2016, 3:01:00 PM7/20/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:DrSdnXRwONMvvRLKnZ2dnUU7-
LPN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-07-18,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers have changed
> due to newer news, you are still expected to give the answers that
> were correct on that date.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the questions and place your answer below each one.) I will
> reveal the correct answers in about 12 days, and then post the
> current-events round from Game 10.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 9 (2016-07-18), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. It was announced last week that *which sports organization*
> would be sold for $4,000,000,000? The buyer is a group led by
> a Hollywood talent agency.

UFC

> 2. A 29-year-old American ballet dancer, Melanie Hamrick, is
> expecting a child. Who's the daddy?
>
> 3. Last week Forbes magazine published its list of the highest-paid
> celebrities in 2015. Who was on top, with earnings last year
> of $170,000,000 US?

Taylor Swift

> 4. Has madness overtaken the land, with people walking the
> streets and parks, looking for monsters that aren't there? No,
> it's a so-called "augmented reality" game that's had hundreds of
> millions of downloads. In Canada, on Wednesday it was reported
> as being on 6% of Android devices already, even though it didn't
> officially become available until yesterday.

Pokemon GO

> 5. Clearly events in France have made this next question very
> trivial indeed, but we have to ask it anyway. French president
> François Hollande came in for heavy mockery last week when
> it was revealed that one of his staff members was being paid
> almost 10,000 euros per month for doing what job?

Styling his hair

> 6. He's taken home three Grammys in his career, and now this
> 81-year-old Canadian musician has won big again, this time
> garnering the $1,000,000 grand prize in a London, Ontario,
> charity lotto. Name him.

Gordon Lightfoot

> 7. With their piety presumably superior to their record-keeping,
> this Canadian religious organization announced last week that
> a proposal to provide same-sex church marriages had missed the
> required supermajority by 1 vote -- and then, the next day,
> that some votes had been wrongly recorded and the measure had
> actually passed. Name that Canadian religious organization.

Episcopalians

> 8. On Friday the Sith Lord Trump announced the identity of his
> latest apprentice, as well as a highly mockable logo, since wiped
> from his website. Okay, so name The Donald's vice-presidential
> running mate.

Mike Pence

> 9. Last Monday Justin Trudeau signed a free-trade agreement with
> which country?

Cuba

> 10. Which agency of the Canadian government sent out its first
> tweet last week, saying "Now it's your turn to follow us"?

RCMP

Pete Gayde

Joe

Jul 20, 2016, 3:10:27 PM7/20/16
On 2016-07-20 06:56:50 +0000, Mark Brader said:

> 2. A 29-year-old American ballet dancer, Melanie Hamrick, is
> expecting a child. Who's the daddy?

His Supreme Fecundness Sir Michael Jagger. The bookies are taking no
bets on whether the child has its father's looks. It's bound to be ugly
and wrinkled.

> 3. Last week Forbes magazine published its list of the highest-paid
> celebrities in 2015. Who was on top, with earnings last year
> of $170,000,000 US?
>
> 4. Has madness overtaken the land, with people walking the
> streets and parks, looking for monsters that aren't there? No,
> it's a so-called "augmented reality" game that's had hundreds of
> millions of downloads. In Canada, on Wednesday it was reported
> as being on 6% of Android devices already, even though it didn't
> officially become available until yesterday.

Pokemon Go

> 5. Clearly events in France have made this next question very
> trivial indeed, but we have to ask it anyway. French president
> François Hollande came in for heavy mockery last week when
> it was revealed that one of his staff members was being paid
> almost 10,000 euros per month for doing what job?

Hairdresser

> 6. He's taken home three Grammys in his career, and now this
> 81-year-old Canadian musician has won big again, this time
> garnering the $1,000,000 grand prize in a London, Ontario,
> charity lotto. Name him.

Leonard Cohen

> 7. With their piety presumably superior to their record-keeping,
> this Canadian religious organization announced last week that
> a proposal to provide same-sex church marriages had missed the
> required supermajority by 1 vote -- and then, the next day,
> that some votes had been wrongly recorded and the measure had
> actually passed. Name that Canadian religious organization.
>
> 8. On Friday the Sith Lord Trump announced the identity of his
> latest apprentice, as well as a highly mockable logo, since wiped
> from his website. Okay, so name The Donald's vice-presidential
> running mate.

Recep Erdogan

> 9. Last Monday Justin Trudeau signed a free-trade agreement with
> which country?
>
> 10. Which agency of the Canadian government sent out its first
> tweet last week, saying "Now it's your turn to follow us"?

--
“To err, as they say, is human. To forgive is divine. To err by
withholding your forgiveness until it’s too late is to become divinely

Joshua Kreitzer

Jul 20, 2016, 9:51:04 PM7/20/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:DrSdnXRwONMvvRLKnZ2dnUU7-
LPN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 9 (2016-07-18), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. It was announced last week that *which sports organization*
> would be sold for $4,000,000,000? The buyer is a group led by
> a Hollywood talent agency.

UFC

> 2. A 29-year-old American ballet dancer, Melanie Hamrick, is
> expecting a child. Who's the daddy?

Mick Jagger

> 3. Last week Forbes magazine published its list of the highest-paid
> celebrities in 2015. Who was on top, with earnings last year
> of $170,000,000 US?

Taylor Swift

> 4. Has madness overtaken the land, with people walking the
> streets and parks, looking for monsters that aren't there? No,
> it's a so-called "augmented reality" game that's had hundreds of
> millions of downloads. In Canada, on Wednesday it was reported
> as being on 6% of Android devices already, even though it didn't
> officially become available until yesterday.

Pokemon Go
(actually, there isn't a question here other than the first sentence,
but I'm not going to stand on ceremony about that)

> 6. He's taken home three Grammys in his career, and now this
> 81-year-old Canadian musician has won big again, this time
> garnering the $1,000,000 grand prize in a London, Ontario,
> charity lotto. Name him.

Gordon Lightfoot

> 7. With their piety presumably superior to their record-keeping,
> this Canadian religious organization announced last week that
> a proposal to provide same-sex church marriages had missed the
> required supermajority by 1 vote -- and then, the next day,
> that some votes had been wrongly recorded and the measure had
> actually passed. Name that Canadian religious organization.

Anglican Church of Canada

> 8. On Friday the Sith Lord Trump announced the identity of his
> latest apprentice, as well as a highly mockable logo, since wiped
> from his website. Okay, so name The Donald's vice-presidential
> running mate.

Mike Pence

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Jul 20, 2016, 11:54:52 PM7/20/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9 (2016-07-18), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. It was announced last week that *which sports organization*
> would be sold for $4,000,000,000? The buyer is a group led by
> a Hollywood talent agency.
>
> 2. A 29-year-old American ballet dancer, Melanie Hamrick, is
> expecting a child. Who's the daddy?
>
> 3. Last week Forbes magazine published its list of the highest-paid
> celebrities in 2015. Who was on top, with earnings last year
> of $170,000,000 US?
>
> 4. Has madness overtaken the land, with people walking the
> streets and parks, looking for monsters that aren't there? No,
> it's a so-called "augmented reality" game that's had hundreds of
> millions of downloads. In Canada, on Wednesday it was reported
> as being on 6% of Android devices already, even though it didn't
> officially become available until yesterday.

Pokemon Go

> 5. Clearly events in France have made this next question very
> trivial indeed, but we have to ask it anyway. French president
> François Hollande came in for heavy mockery last week when
> it was revealed that one of his staff members was being paid
> almost 10,000 euros per month for doing what job?
>
> 6. He's taken home three Grammys in his career, and now this
> 81-year-old Canadian musician has won big again, this time
> garnering the $1,000,000 grand prize in a London, Ontario,
> charity lotto. Name him.
>
> 7. With their piety presumably superior to their record-keeping,
> this Canadian religious organization announced last week that
> a proposal to provide same-sex church marriages had missed the
> required supermajority by 1 vote -- and then, the next day,
> that some votes had been wrongly recorded and the measure had
> actually passed. Name that Canadian religious organization.

Episcopal Church

> 8. On Friday the Sith Lord Trump announced the identity of his
> latest apprentice, as well as a highly mockable logo, since wiped
> from his website. Okay, so name The Donald's vice-presidential
> running mate.

Mike Pence

> 9. Last Monday Justin Trudeau signed a free-trade agreement with
> which country?
>
> 10. Which agency of the Canadian government sent out its first
> tweet last week, saying "Now it's your turn to follow us"?

Statistics Canada ??

--
Dan Tilque

Jason Kreitzer

Jul 22, 2016, 8:45:53 PM7/22/16
On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 2:56:55 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-07-18,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers have changed
> due to newer news, you are still expected to give the answers that
> were correct on that date.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the questions and place your answer below each one.) I will
> reveal the correct answers in about 12 days, and then post the
> current-events round from Game 10.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 9 (2016-07-18), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. It was announced last week that *which sports organization*
> would be sold for $4,000,000,000? The buyer is a group led by
> a Hollywood talent agency.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
> 2. A 29-year-old American ballet dancer, Melanie Hamrick, is
> expecting a child. Who's the daddy?
>
> 3. Last week Forbes magazine published its list of the highest-paid
> celebrities in 2015. Who was on top, with earnings last year
> of $170,000,000 US?
>
> 4. Has madness overtaken the land, with people walking the
> streets and parks, looking for monsters that aren't there? No,
> it's a so-called "augmented reality" game that's had hundreds of
> millions of downloads. In Canada, on Wednesday it was reported
> as being on 6% of Android devices already, even though it didn't
> officially become available until yesterday.
Pokémon Go
> 5. Clearly events in France have made this next question very
> trivial indeed, but we have to ask it anyway. French president
> François Hollande came in for heavy mockery last week when
> it was revealed that one of his staff members was being paid
> almost 10,000 euros per month for doing what job?
>
> 6. He's taken home three Grammys in his career, and now this
> 81-year-old Canadian musician has won big again, this time
> garnering the $1,000,000 grand prize in a London, Ontario,
> charity lotto. Name him.
>
> 7. With their piety presumably superior to their record-keeping,
> this Canadian religious organization announced last week that
> a proposal to provide same-sex church marriages had missed the
> required supermajority by 1 vote -- and then, the next day,
> that some votes had been wrongly recorded and the measure had
> actually passed. Name that Canadian religious organization.
>
> 8. On Friday the Sith Lord Trump announced the identity of his
> latest apprentice, as well as a highly mockable logo, since wiped
> from his website. Okay, so name The Donald's vice-presidential
> running mate.
Mike Pence

swp

Jul 23, 2016, 7:00:28 PM7/23/16
On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 2:56:55 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-07-18,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers have changed
> due to newer news, you are still expected to give the answers that
> were correct on that date.

wow. 2 days after originally asked. that must be a record.

> * Game 9 (2016-07-18), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. It was announced last week that *which sports organization*
> would be sold for $4,000,000,000? The buyer is a group led by
> a Hollywood talent agency.

ufc

> 2. A 29-year-old American ballet dancer, Melanie Hamrick, is
> expecting a child. Who's the daddy?

mick jagger

> 3. Last week Forbes magazine published its list of the highest-paid
> celebrities in 2015. Who was on top, with earnings last year
> of $170,000,000 US?

taylor swift

> 4. Has madness overtaken the land, with people walking the
> streets and parks, looking for monsters that aren't there? No,
> it's a so-called "augmented reality" game that's had hundreds of
> millions of downloads. In Canada, on Wednesday it was reported
> as being on 6% of Android devices already, even though it didn't
> officially become available until yesterday.

pokemon go

> 5. Clearly events in France have made this next question very
> trivial indeed, but we have to ask it anyway. French president
> François Hollande came in for heavy mockery last week when
> it was revealed that one of his staff members was being paid
> almost 10,000 euros per month for doing what job?

hairdresser

> 6. He's taken home three Grammys in his career, and now this
> 81-year-old Canadian musician has won big again, this time
> garnering the $1,000,000 grand prize in a London, Ontario,
> charity lotto. Name him.

walter ostanek

> 7. With their piety presumably superior to their record-keeping,
> this Canadian religious organization announced last week that
> a proposal to provide same-sex church marriages had missed the
> required super majority by 1 vote -- and then, the next day,
> that some votes had been wrongly recorded and the measure had
> actually passed. Name that Canadian religious organization.

anglican church of canada

> 8. On Friday the Sith Lord Trump announced the identity of his
> latest apprentice, as well as a highly mockable logo, since wiped
> from his website. Okay, so name The Donald's vice-presidential
> running mate.

mike pence

side note: President Trump never hits first, he's a counter-puncher. and he hits back a lot harder than he was hit. just ask lyin' ted cruz. he is using the *science* of persuasion along with rapid a-b testing in his campaign, which makes me think he will win in a landslide. just my observations on the matter. please take it up in another thread if you would like to discuss.

> 9. Last Monday Justin Trudeau signed a free-trade agreement with
> which country?

ukraine

> 10. Which agency of the Canadian government sent out its first
> tweet last week, saying "Now it's your turn to follow us"?

canadian security intelligence service

swp

Mark Brader

Jul 27, 2016, 11:28:33 PM7/27/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-07-18,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers have changed
> due to newer news, you are still expected to give the answers that
> were correct on that date.

In fact, one question as originally written was obsoleted *before*
it was asked: when we finalized the questions on 2016-07-16, Pokémon
Go had not yet been released in Canada. This required an emergency
update, which is how I ended up accidentally deleting "Name the game"
from the question.

> I will reveal the correct answers in about 12 days, and then post
> the current-events round from Game 10.

Due to an unscheduled illness, I'm back home earlier than expected.
I assume everyone who would've been going to answer has already done
so, so I'm closing this one now.

> * Game 9 (2016-07-18), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. It was announced last week that *which sports organization*
> would be sold for $4,000,000,000? The buyer is a group led by
> a Hollywood talent agency.

UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship). 4 for Peter, Pete, Joshua,
Jason, and Stephen.

> 2. A 29-year-old American ballet dancer, Melanie Hamrick, is
> expecting a child. Who's the daddy?

Mick Jagger. (It'll be his eighth.) 4 for Joe, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 3. Last week Forbes magazine published its list of the highest-paid
> celebrities in 2015. Who was on top, with earnings last year
> of $170,000,000 US?

Taylor Swift. 4 for Pete, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 4. Has madness overtaken the land, with people walking the
> streets and parks, looking for monsters that aren't there? No,
> it's a so-called "augmented reality" game that's had hundreds of
> millions of downloads. In Canada, on Wednesday it was reported
> as being on 6% of Android devices already, even though it didn't
> officially become available until yesterday.

Pokémon Go. 4 for everyone -- Marc, Erland, Dan Blum, Peter, Pete,
Joe, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Jason, and Stephen.

In the original game, we noted:

And if you urgently need to download it now that you know it's
available -- wait until half-time, please!

> 5. Clearly events in France have made this next question very
> trivial indeed, but we have to ask it anyway. French president
> François Hollande came in for heavy mockery last week when
> it was revealed that one of his staff members was being paid
> almost 10,000 euros per month for doing what job?

Hairdresser. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Peter, Pete, Joe, and Stephen.

> 6. He's taken home three Grammys in his career, and now this
> 81-year-old Canadian musician has won big again, this time
> garnering the $1,000,000 grand prize in a London, Ontario,
> charity lotto. Name him.

Walter Ostanek. (Three consecutive Grammys, in fact -- for Best
Polka Album, 1992-94.) 4 for Stephen.

> 7. With their piety presumably superior to their record-keeping,
> this Canadian religious organization announced last week that
> a proposal to provide same-sex church marriages had missed the
> required supermajority by 1 vote -- and then, the next day,
> that some votes had been wrongly recorded and the measure had
> actually passed. Name that Canadian religious organization.

Anglican Church of Canada (accepting Church of England). 4 for Peter,
Joshua, and Stephen.

> 8. On Friday the Sith Lord Trump announced the identity of his
> latest apprentice, as well as a highly mockable logo, since wiped
> from his website. Okay, so name The Donald's vice-presidential
> running mate.

Mike Pence. 4 for Marc, Erland, Dan Blum, Peter, Pete, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, Jason, and Stephen.

Here's the short-lived logo:

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CnaykXJUAAAb143.jpg:large

> 9. Last Monday Justin Trudeau signed a free-trade agreement with
> which country?

Ukraine. 4 for Stephen.

> 10. Which agency of the Canadian government sent out its first
> tweet last week, saying "Now it's your turn to follow us"?

CSIS (Canadian Security Intelligence Service). 4 for Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 BEST SEVEN
Pete Gayde 16 14 15 4 24 12 16 24 20 129
Joshua Kreitzer 16 8 12 4 20 16 20 20 24 128
Peter Smyth 12 4 12 4 23 0 8 20 20 99
Dan Blum 16 23 11 0 -- -- 12 24 12 98
Erland Sommarskog 4 8 20 0 16 8 16 12 12 92
Dan Tilque 12 12 16 0 8 4 8 20 8 84
Marc Dashevsky 8 12 -- -- -- -- 16 20 8 64
Bruce Bowler -- -- 12 0 20 16 -- -- -- 48
Jason Kreitzer 12 8 -- -- -- -- 8 4 12 44
Stephen Perry -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 40 40

--
Mark Brader | "But [he] had already established his own reputation
Toronto | as someone who wrote poetry that mentioned the el."