QFTCI16 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: Newark, Newark, franchises

Mark Brader

Sep 15, 2016, 4:13:29 AM9/15/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-07-04,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 7, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - "Newark, Newark"

This is a music round, but without the music. We're calling
it miscellaneous, and it's about songs with cities (or towns,
etc.) in the title. Unless otherwise indicated, you just need
to name the city, not the full title of the song. Of course,
sometimes the city name *is* the full title.

1. Which 1953 geographical swing song did They Might Be Giants
cover with a more upbeat version? (Why they changed it I can't
say, people just liked it better that way.) The title and the
city are the same. Name that city.

2. What Pennsylvania town did Billy Joel pay tribute to, in his
song about its blue-collar residents coping with the decline
and closure of a steel mill?

3. During his "Dangerous" World Tour, in which city did Michael
Jackson apparently feel like a stranger, inspiring him to write
a song on his state of mind during the height of the child-abuse
accusations made against him?

4. At 11 minutes and 22 seconds, what is the longest song released
on a studio album by "Weird Al" Yankovic? It's not a parody,
but was styled after "Dick's Automotive" by the Rugburns,
and most of it consists of spoken-word narration made up of
loosely connected anecdotes.

5. Which city does Graham Nash sing of, in reference to riots in
1968 and those who went on trial for intent to incite them?

6. A 2015 Top-10 Billboard house track by Mike Posner, remixed
by Seeb, depicts his drug-fueled night while attending an
Avicii concert. In this case, the city whose name we want is
on an island whose name is the same.

7. Originally sung by Murray Head and part of the score for
the musical "Chess", a new-wave/disco hit finds the protagonist
denouncing this city's Chao Phraya River ["chow prah-YAH"]
and Wat Pho statue. Name the city.

8. Which song by the Clash refers to concerns about nuclear errors
and flooding of the River Thames? The *full title* is needed
for this one.

9. Ian Hunter wrote the song that was the opening theme for the
Drew Carey Show from 1997 to 2004. Name the city in the title.

10. A 1972 hit by the Guess Who mentions Moose Jaw, Moosomin,
Red Deer, Terrace, and Medicine Hat. But another city is in
the title -- which one is that?

* Game 7, Round 6 - Entertainment - Movie Franchises

In 1925, Gösta Ekman starred in "Karl XII" and "Karl XII, Del II"
-- that's Swedish for "Part II". And while filmmakers have been
numbering some of their sequels ever since, they also use other ways
to distinguish them. Some have subtitles, like "The Hunger Games:
Catching Fire"; some use both methods in combination; and sometimes
the sequel has a completely new title, like "Minions". In this
round we test your familiarity with different movie franchises.

1. Before last year, the last live-action "Star Wars" movie appeared
in 2005. Give *either* its episode number or its subtitle.

2. The titles of the "Star Trek" movies stopped using sequence
numbers when the Next Generation cast joined the series.
The last of the numbered movies was released in 1991.
Give either its sequence number or its subtitle.

3. There have been four movies in the "Pirates of the Caribbean"
series, each with a subtitle. We'll list three of those
subtitles in alphabetical order: "At World's End", Dead Man's
Chest", and "On Stranger Tides". What was the subtitle of the
other movie?

4. For this question you must give the exact title, and we mean
completely exact: if you add or omit the word "the", you're
wrong. Now, name *any one of the first three* sequels to "The
Fast and the Furious" (2001). They were released in 2003,
2006, and 2009.

5. There were 7 novels in the Harry Potter series, but 8 movies.
Give the *full title* of the *7th movie*, from 2010.

6. There was one novel "The Hobbit", but it became three movies.
Give the subtitle of the last one, released in 2014.

7. We need a two-part answer here. Name any actor who played James
Bond in a movie *after* Sean Connery, *and* name the *first*
movie that that actor played him in.

8. And then there's the other J.B. In the series that started
in 2002 with "The Bourne Identity", the next two movies also
starred Matt Damon as Jason Bourne and were based on novels by
Robert Ludlum. They came out in 2004 and 2007. Give *both*
titles *in order* of release.

9. There were five sequels to "The Thin Man" (1934), all starring
William Powell and Myrna Loy as Nick and Nora Charles.
Name *any one*.

10. This lawyer was first played by Warren William in "The Case
of the Howling Dog", "The Case of the Curious Bride", "The
Case of the Lucky Legs", and "The Case of the Velvet Claws",
all made in the 1930s. You might know him better as the title
character of a TV series with a different star, which ran from
1957 to 1966. Name the *character*.

--
Mark Brader ...the scariest words of the afternoon:
Toronto "Hey, don't worry, I've read all about

Dan Blum

Sep 15, 2016, 9:52:46 AM9/15/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - "Newark, Newark"

> 1. Which 1953 geographical swing song did They Might Be Giants
> cover with a more upbeat version? (Why they changed it I can't
> say, people just liked it better that way.) The title and the
> city are the same. Name that city.

Istanbul

> 2. What Pennsylvania town did Billy Joel pay tribute to, in his
> song about its blue-collar residents coping with the decline
> and closure of a steel mill?

Allentown

> 5. Which city does Graham Nash sing of, in reference to riots in
> 1968 and those who went on trial for intent to incite them?

Chicago

> 7. Originally sung by Murray Head and part of the score for
> the musical "Chess", a new-wave/disco hit finds the protagonist
> denouncing this city's Chao Phraya River ["chow prah-YAH"]
> and Wat Pho statue. Name the city.

Bangkok

> 8. Which song by the Clash refers to concerns about nuclear errors
> and flooding of the River Thames? The *full title* is needed
> for this one.

London Calling

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Entertainment - Movie Franchises

> 1. Before last year, the last live-action "Star Wars" movie appeared
> in 2005. Give *either* its episode number or its subtitle.

III

> 2. The titles of the "Star Trek" movies stopped using sequence
> numbers when the Next Generation cast joined the series.
> The last of the numbered movies was released in 1991.
> Give either its sequence number or its subtitle.

VI

> 3. There have been four movies in the "Pirates of the Caribbean"
> series, each with a subtitle. We'll list three of those
> subtitles in alphabetical order: "At World's End", Dead Man's
> Chest", and "On Stranger Tides". What was the subtitle of the
> other movie?

Curse of the Black Pearl

> 4. For this question you must give the exact title, and we mean
> completely exact: if you add or omit the word "the", you're
> wrong. Now, name *any one of the first three* sequels to "The
> Fast and the Furious" (2001). They were released in 2003,
> 2006, and 2009.

Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift; The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift

> 5. There were 7 novels in the Harry Potter series, but 8 movies.
> Give the *full title* of the *7th movie*, from 2010.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I

> 6. There was one novel "The Hobbit", but it became three movies.
> Give the subtitle of the last one, released in 2014.

Battle of the Five Armies

> 7. We need a two-part answer here. Name any actor who played James
> Bond in a movie *after* Sean Connery, *and* name the *first*
> movie that that actor played him in.

Pierce Brosnan in Goldeneye

> 8. And then there's the other J.B. In the series that started
> in 2002 with "The Bourne Identity", the next two movies also
> starred Matt Damon as Jason Bourne and were based on novels by
> Robert Ludlum. They came out in 2004 and 2007. Give *both*
> titles *in order* of release.

The Bourne Supremacy and The Bourne Ultimatum

> 9. There were five sequels to "The Thin Man" (1934), all starring
> William Powell and Myrna Loy as Nick and Nora Charles.
> Name *any one*.

Return of the Thin Man

> 10. This lawyer was first played by Warren William in "The Case
> of the Howling Dog", "The Case of the Curious Bride", "The
> Case of the Lucky Legs", and "The Case of the Velvet Claws",
> all made in the 1930s. You might know him better as the title
> character of a TV series with a different star, which ran from
> 1957 to 1966. Name the *character*.

Perry Mason

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

bbowler

Sep 15, 2016, 10:43:42 AM9/15/16
On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 03:13:24 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-07-04, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2016-05-31
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 7, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - "Newark, Newark"
>
> This is a music round, but without the music. We're calling it
> miscellaneous, and it's about songs with cities (or towns,
> etc.) in the title. Unless otherwise indicated, you just need to name
> the city, not the full title of the song. Of course, sometimes the city
> name *is* the full title.
>
> 2. What Pennsylvania town did Billy Joel pay tribute to, in his
> song about its blue-collar residents coping with the decline and
> closure of a steel mill?

Allentown

> 5. Which city does Graham Nash sing of, in reference to riots in
> 1968 and those who went on trial for intent to incite them?

Chicago

> 9. Ian Hunter wrote the song that was the opening theme for the
> Drew Carey Show from 1997 to 2004. Name the city in the title.

Cleveland

4

> 3. There have been four movies in the "Pirates of the Caribbean"
> series, each with a subtitle. We'll list three of those subtitles in
> alphabetical order: "At World's End", Dead Man's Chest", and "On
> Stranger Tides". What was the subtitle of the other movie?

Dead men tell no tales

> 4. For this question you must give the exact title, and we mean
> completely exact: if you add or omit the word "the", you're wrong.
> Now, name *any one of the first three* sequels to "The Fast and the
> Furious" (2001). They were released in 2003, 2006, and 2009.

2 Fast 2 Furious

> 7. We need a two-part answer here. Name any actor who played James
> Bond in a movie *after* Sean Connery, *and* name the *first* movie
> that that actor played him in.

George Lazenby - On Her Majesty Secret Service

> 10. This lawyer was first played by Warren William in "The Case
> of the Howling Dog", "The Case of the Curious Bride", "The Case of
> the Lucky Legs", and "The Case of the Velvet Claws", all made in the
> 1930s. You might know him better as the title character of a TV
> series with a different star, which ran from 1957 to 1966. Name the
> *character*.

Perry Mason

Marc Dashevsky

Sep 15, 2016, 11:38:14 AM9/15/16
In article <ieydnQ7b5bi5xUfK...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 7, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - "Newark, Newark"
>
> This is a music round, but without the music. We're calling
> it miscellaneous, and it's about songs with cities (or towns,
> etc.) in the title. Unless otherwise indicated, you just need
> to name the city, not the full title of the song. Of course,
> sometimes the city name *is* the full title.
>
> 1. Which 1953 geographical swing song did They Might Be Giants
> cover with a more upbeat version? (Why they changed it I can't
> say, people just liked it better that way.) The title and the
> city are the same. Name that city.
Constantinople

> 2. What Pennsylvania town did Billy Joel pay tribute to, in his
> song about its blue-collar residents coping with the decline
> and closure of a steel mill?
>
> 3. During his "Dangerous" World Tour, in which city did Michael
> Jackson apparently feel like a stranger, inspiring him to write
> a song on his state of mind during the height of the child-abuse
> accusations made against him?
>
> 4. At 11 minutes and 22 seconds, what is the longest song released
> on a studio album by "Weird Al" Yankovic? It's not a parody,
> but was styled after "Dick's Automotive" by the Rugburns,
> and most of it consists of spoken-word narration made up of
> loosely connected anecdotes.
>
> 5. Which city does Graham Nash sing of, in reference to riots in
> 1968 and those who went on trial for intent to incite them?
Chicago

> 6. A 2015 Top-10 Billboard house track by Mike Posner, remixed
> by Seeb, depicts his drug-fueled night while attending an
> Avicii concert. In this case, the city whose name we want is
> on an island whose name is the same.
>
> 7. Originally sung by Murray Head and part of the score for
> the musical "Chess", a new-wave/disco hit finds the protagonist
> denouncing this city's Chao Phraya River ["chow prah-YAH"]
> and Wat Pho statue. Name the city.
Bangkok

> 8. Which song by the Clash refers to concerns about nuclear errors
> and flooding of the River Thames? The *full title* is needed
> for this one.
London Calling

> 9. Ian Hunter wrote the song that was the opening theme for the
> Drew Carey Show from 1997 to 2004. Name the city in the title.
Cleveland
The Bourne Supremacy
The Bourne Ultimatum

> 9. There were five sequels to "The Thin Man" (1934), all starring
> William Powell and Myrna Loy as Nick and Nora Charles.
> Name *any one*.
After the Thin Man

> 10. This lawyer was first played by Warren William in "The Case
> of the Howling Dog", "The Case of the Curious Bride", "The
> Case of the Lucky Legs", and "The Case of the Velvet Claws",
> all made in the 1930s. You might know him better as the title
> character of a TV series with a different star, which ran from
> 1957 to 1966. Name the *character*.
Perry Mason

Dan Tilque

Sep 15, 2016, 2:26:24 PM9/15/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 7, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - "Newark, Newark"
>
> This is a music round, but without the music. We're calling
> it miscellaneous, and it's about songs with cities (or towns,
> etc.) in the title. Unless otherwise indicated, you just need
> to name the city, not the full title of the song. Of course,
> sometimes the city name *is* the full title.
>
> 1. Which 1953 geographical swing song did They Might Be Giants
> cover with a more upbeat version? (Why they changed it I can't
> say, people just liked it better that way.) The title and the
> city are the same. Name that city.
>
> 2. What Pennsylvania town did Billy Joel pay tribute to, in his
> song about its blue-collar residents coping with the decline
> and closure of a steel mill?

Allentown

> 3. During his "Dangerous" World Tour, in which city did Michael
> Jackson apparently feel like a stranger, inspiring him to write
> a song on his state of mind during the height of the child-abuse
> accusations made against him?
>
> 4. At 11 minutes and 22 seconds, what is the longest song released
> on a studio album by "Weird Al" Yankovic? It's not a parody,
> but was styled after "Dick's Automotive" by the Rugburns,
> and most of it consists of spoken-word narration made up of
> loosely connected anecdotes.
>
> 5. Which city does Graham Nash sing of, in reference to riots in
> 1968 and those who went on trial for intent to incite them?

Chicago

> 6. A 2015 Top-10 Billboard house track by Mike Posner, remixed
> by Seeb, depicts his drug-fueled night while attending an
> Avicii concert. In this case, the city whose name we want is
> on an island whose name is the same.

Singapore ??

8

> 3. There have been four movies in the "Pirates of the Caribbean"
> series, each with a subtitle. We'll list three of those
> subtitles in alphabetical order: "At World's End", Dead Man's
> Chest", and "On Stranger Tides". What was the subtitle of the
> other movie?
>
> 4. For this question you must give the exact title, and we mean
> completely exact: if you add or omit the word "the", you're
> wrong. Now, name *any one of the first three* sequels to "The
> Fast and the Furious" (2001). They were released in 2003,
> 2006, and 2009.

Furious 2

> 5. There were 7 novels in the Harry Potter series, but 8 movies.
> Give the *full title* of the *7th movie*, from 2010.
>
> 6. There was one novel "The Hobbit", but it became three movies.
> Give the subtitle of the last one, released in 2014.

The Desolation of Smaug

> 7. We need a two-part answer here. Name any actor who played James
> Bond in a movie *after* Sean Connery, *and* name the *first*
> movie that that actor played him in.
>
> 8. And then there's the other J.B. In the series that started
> in 2002 with "The Bourne Identity", the next two movies also
> starred Matt Damon as Jason Bourne and were based on novels by
> Robert Ludlum. They came out in 2004 and 2007. Give *both*
> titles *in order* of release.
>
> 9. There were five sequels to "The Thin Man" (1934), all starring
> William Powell and Myrna Loy as Nick and Nora Charles.
> Name *any one*.
>
> 10. This lawyer was first played by Warren William in "The Case
> of the Howling Dog", "The Case of the Curious Bride", "The
> Case of the Lucky Legs", and "The Case of the Velvet Claws",
> all made in the 1930s. You might know him better as the title
> character of a TV series with a different star, which ran from
> 1957 to 1966. Name the *character*.

Perry Mason

--
Dan Tilque

Peter Smyth

Sep 15, 2016, 2:32:30 PM9/15/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - "Newark, Newark"
>
> This is a music round, but without the music. We're calling
> it miscellaneous, and it's about songs with cities (or towns,
> etc.) in the title. Unless otherwise indicated, you just need
> to name the city, not the full title of the song. Of course,
> sometimes the city name is the full title.
>
> 1. Which 1953 geographical swing song did They Might Be Giants
> cover with a more upbeat version? (Why they changed it I can't
> say, people just liked it better that way.) The title and the
> city are the same. Name that city.
>
> 2. What Pennsylvania town did Billy Joel pay tribute to, in his
> song about its blue-collar residents coping with the decline
> and closure of a steel mill?
>
> 3. During his "Dangerous" World Tour, in which city did Michael
> Jackson apparently feel like a stranger, inspiring him to write
> a song on his state of mind during the height of the child-abuse
> accusations made against him?
Moscow
> 4. At 11 minutes and 22 seconds, what is the longest song released
> on a studio album by "Weird Al" Yankovic? It's not a parody,
> but was styled after "Dick's Automotive" by the Rugburns,
> and most of it consists of spoken-word narration made up of
> loosely connected anecdotes.
>
> 5. Which city does Graham Nash sing of, in reference to riots in
> 1968 and those who went on trial for intent to incite them?
>
> 6. A 2015 Top-10 Billboard house track by Mike Posner, remixed
> by Seeb, depicts his drug-fueled night while attending an
> Avicii concert. In this case, the city whose name we want is
> on an island whose name is the same.
>
> 7. Originally sung by Murray Head and part of the score for
> the musical "Chess", a new-wave/disco hit finds the protagonist
> denouncing this city's Chao Phraya River ["chow prah-YAH"]
> and Wat Pho statue. Name the city.
>
> 8. Which song by the Clash refers to concerns about nuclear errors
> and flooding of the River Thames? The *full title* is needed
> for this one.
London Calling
> 9. Ian Hunter wrote the song that was the opening theme for the
> Drew Carey Show from 1997 to 2004. Name the city in the title.
>
> 10. A 1972 hit by the Guess Who mentions Moose Jaw, Moosomin,
> Red Deer, Terrace, and Medicine Hat. But another city is in
> the title -- which one is that?
>

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Entertainment - Movie Franchises
>
> In 1925, Gösta Ekman starred in "Karl XII" and "Karl XII, Del II"
> -- that's Swedish for "Part II". And while filmmakers have been
> numbering some of their sequels ever since, they also use other ways
> to distinguish them. Some have subtitles, like "The Hunger Games:
> Catching Fire"; some use both methods in combination; and sometimes
> the sequel has a completely new title, like "Minions". In this
> round we test your familiarity with different movie franchises.
>
> 1. Before last year, the last live-action "Star Wars" movie appeared
> in 2005. Give either its episode number or its subtitle.
Episode III
> 2. The titles of the "Star Trek" movies stopped using sequence
> numbers when the Next Generation cast joined the series.
> The last of the numbered movies was released in 1991.
> Give either its sequence number or its subtitle.
VI
> 3. There have been four movies in the "Pirates of the Caribbean"
> series, each with a subtitle. We'll list three of those
> subtitles in alphabetical order: "At World's End", Dead Man's
> Chest", and "On Stranger Tides". What was the subtitle of the
> other movie?
The Black Pearl
> 4. For this question you must give the exact title, and we mean
> completely exact: if you add or omit the word "the", you're
> wrong. Now, name *any one of the first three* sequels to "The
> Fast and the Furious" (2001). They were released in 2003,
> 2006, and 2009.
Too Fast Too Furious
> 5. There were 7 novels in the Harry Potter series, but 8 movies.
> Give the *full title* of the *7th movie*, from 2010.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I
> 6. There was one novel "The Hobbit", but it became three movies.
> Give the subtitle of the last one, released in 2014.
The Battle of the Five Armies
> 7. We need a two-part answer here. Name any actor who played James
> Bond in a movie after Sean Connery, and name the first
> movie that that actor played him in.
Pierce Brosnan - Goldeneye
> 8. And then there's the other J.B. In the series that started
> in 2002 with "The Bourne Identity", the next two movies also
> starred Matt Damon as Jason Bourne and were based on novels by
> Robert Ludlum. They came out in 2004 and 2007. Give both
> titles *in order* of release.
The Bourne Supremacy, The Bourne Revenge
> 9. There were five sequels to "The Thin Man" (1934), all starring
> William Powell and Myrna Loy as Nick and Nora Charles.
> Name *any one*.
The Fat Man
> 10. This lawyer was first played by Warren William in "The Case
> of the Howling Dog", "The Case of the Curious Bride", "The
> Case of the Lucky Legs", and "The Case of the Velvet Claws",
> all made in the 1930s. You might know him better as the title
> character of a TV series with a different star, which ran from
> 1957 to 1966. Name the character.
Perry Mason

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 15, 2016, 3:03:31 PM9/15/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. Which 1953 geographical swing song did They Might Be Giants
> cover with a more upbeat version? (Why they changed it I can't
> say, people just liked it better that way.) The title and the
> city are the same. Name that city.

Paris

> 5. Which city does Graham Nash sing of, in reference to riots in
> 1968 and those who went on trial for intent to incite them?

Los Angeles

> 6. A 2015 Top-10 Billboard house track by Mike Posner, remixed
> by Seeb, depicts his drug-fueled night while attending an
> Avicii concert. In this case, the city whose name we want is
> on an island whose name is the same.

Key West

> 7. Originally sung by Murray Head and part of the score for
> the musical "Chess", a new-wave/disco hit finds the protagonist
> denouncing this city's Chao Phraya River ["chow prah-YAH"]
> and Wat Pho statue. Name the city.

Bangkok

> 8. Which song by the Clash refers to concerns about nuclear errors
> and flooding of the River Thames? The *full title* is needed
> for this one.

London Calling

> 10. A 1972 hit by the Guess Who mentions Moose Jaw, Moosomin,
> Red Deer, Terrace, and Medicine Hat. But another city is in
> the title -- which one is that?

Regina

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Entertainment - Movie Franchises
>
> In 1925, Gösta Ekman starred in "Karl XII" and "Karl XII, Del II"
> -- that's Swedish for "Part II".

He might have. However, the ultimate interpreter of Karl XII was Jarl
Kulle. I recall visiting my relatives and in the bathroom they had
pictures of Swedish kings. Except that when I look at them I said
to myself "wait, that's Jarl Kulle!".

> 7. We need a two-part answer here. Name any actor who played James
> Bond in a movie *after* Sean Connery, *and* name the *first*
> movie that that actor played him in.

Roger Moore, "Live and Let Die"

> 9. There were five sequels to "The Thin Man" (1934), all starring
> William Powell and Myrna Loy as Nick and Nora Charles.
> Name *any one*.

The Thin White Duke

swp

Sep 15, 2016, 7:57:03 PM9/15/16
On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 4:13:29 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-07-04,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

noted.

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 7, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - "Newark, Newark"
>
> This is a music round, but without the music. We're calling
> it miscellaneous, and it's about songs with cities (or towns,
> etc.) in the title. Unless otherwise indicated, you just need
> to name the city, not the full title of the song. Of course,
> sometimes the city name *is* the full title.
>
> 1. Which 1953 geographical swing song did They Might Be Giants
> cover with a more upbeat version? (Why they changed it I can't
> say, people just liked it better that way.) The title and the
> city are the same. Name that city.

istanbul

> 2. What Pennsylvania town did Billy Joel pay tribute to, in his
> song about its blue-collar residents coping with the decline
> and closure of a steel mill?

allentown

> 3. During his "Dangerous" World Tour, in which city did Michael
> Jackson apparently feel like a stranger, inspiring him to write
> a song on his state of mind during the height of the child-abuse
> accusations made against him?

moscow

> 4. At 11 minutes and 22 seconds, what is the longest song released
> on a studio album by "Weird Al" Yankovic? It's not a parody,
> but was styled after "Dick's Automotive" by the Rugburns,
> and most of it consists of spoken-word narration made up of
> loosely connected anecdotes.

albuquerque

> 5. Which city does Graham Nash sing of, in reference to riots in
> 1968 and those who went on trial for intent to incite them?

chicago

> 6. A 2015 Top-10 Billboard house track by Mike Posner, remixed
> by Seeb, depicts his drug-fueled night while attending an
> Avicii concert. In this case, the city whose name we want is
> on an island whose name is the same.

ibiza?

> 7. Originally sung by Murray Head and part of the score for
> the musical "Chess", a new-wave/disco hit finds the protagonist
> denouncing this city's Chao Phraya River ["chow prah-YAH"]
> and Wat Pho statue. Name the city.

bangkok

> 8. Which song by the Clash refers to concerns about nuclear errors
> and flooding of the River Thames? The *full title* is needed
> for this one.

london calling (thanks, now I have that song stuck in my head)

> 9. Ian Hunter wrote the song that was the opening theme for the
> Drew Carey Show from 1997 to 2004. Name the city in the title.

cleveland

> 10. A 1972 hit by the Guess Who mentions Moose Jaw, Moosomin,
> Red Deer, Terrace, and Medicine Hat. But another city is in
> the title -- which one is that?

saskatoon

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Entertainment - Movie Franchises
>
> In 1925, Gösta Ekman starred in "Karl XII" and "Karl XII, Del II"
> -- that's Swedish for "Part II". And while filmmakers have been
> numbering some of their sequels ever since, they also use other ways
> to distinguish them. Some have subtitles, like "The Hunger Games:
> Catching Fire"; some use both methods in combination; and sometimes
> the sequel has a completely new title, like "Minions". In this
> round we test your familiarity with different movie franchises.

Mark Brader wrote this round

> 1. Before last year, the last live-action "Star Wars" movie appeared
> in 2005. Give *either* its episode number or its subtitle.

episode iii

> 2. The titles of the "Star Trek" movies stopped using sequence
> numbers when the Next Generation cast joined the series.
> The last of the numbered movies was released in 1991.
> Give either its sequence number or its subtitle.

vi

> 3. There have been four movies in the "Pirates of the Caribbean"
> series, each with a subtitle. We'll list three of those
> subtitles in alphabetical order: "At World's End", Dead Man's
> Chest", and "On Stranger Tides". What was the subtitle of the
> other movie?

the curse of the black pearl

> 4. For this question you must give the exact title, and we mean
> completely exact: if you add or omit the word "the", you're
> wrong. Now, name *any one of the first three* sequels to "The
> Fast and the Furious" (2001). They were released in 2003,
> 2006, and 2009.

2 fast 2 furious

> 5. There were 7 novels in the Harry Potter series, but 8 movies.
> Give the *full title* of the *7th movie*, from 2010.

harry potter and the deathly hallows – part 1

> 6. There was one novel "The Hobbit", but it became three movies.
> Give the subtitle of the last one, released in 2014.

the battle of the five armies

> 7. We need a two-part answer here. Name any actor who played James
> Bond in a movie *after* Sean Connery, *and* name the *first*
> movie that that actor played him in.

george lazenby in 'on her majesty's secret service'(also his last)

> 8. And then there's the other J.B. In the series that started
> in 2002 with "The Bourne Identity", the next two movies also
> starred Matt Damon as Jason Bourne and were based on novels by
> Robert Ludlum. They came out in 2004 and 2007. Give *both*
> titles *in order* of release.

the bourne supremacy, the bourne ultimatum

> 9. There were five sequels to "The Thin Man" (1934), all starring
> William Powell and Myrna Loy as Nick and Nora Charles.
> Name *any one*.

shadow of the thin man

> 10. This lawyer was first played by Warren William in "The Case
> of the Howling Dog", "The Case of the Curious Bride", "The
> Case of the Lucky Legs", and "The Case of the Velvet Claws",
> all made in the 1930s. You might know him better as the title
> character of a TV series with a different star, which ran from
> 1957 to 1966. Name the *character*.

perry mason

swp

Calvin

Sep 15, 2016, 9:52:08 PM9/15/16
On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 6:13:29 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - "Newark, Newark"
>
> This is a music round, but without the music. We're calling
> it miscellaneous, and it's about songs with cities (or towns,
> etc.) in the title. Unless otherwise indicated, you just need
> to name the city, not the full title of the song. Of course,
> sometimes the city name *is* the full title.
>
> 1. Which 1953 geographical swing song did They Might Be Giants
> cover with a more upbeat version? (Why they changed it I can't
> say, people just liked it better that way.) The title and the
> city are the same. Name that city.
>
> 2. What Pennsylvania town did Billy Joel pay tribute to, in his
> song about its blue-collar residents coping with the decline
> and closure of a steel mill?

Allentown

> 3. During his "Dangerous" World Tour, in which city did Michael
> Jackson apparently feel like a stranger, inspiring him to write
> a song on his state of mind during the height of the child-abuse
> accusations made against him?
>
> 4. At 11 minutes and 22 seconds, what is the longest song released
> on a studio album by "Weird Al" Yankovic? It's not a parody,
> but was styled after "Dick's Automotive" by the Rugburns,
> and most of it consists of spoken-word narration made up of
> loosely connected anecdotes.
>
> 5. Which city does Graham Nash sing of, in reference to riots in
> 1968 and those who went on trial for intent to incite them?

Paris

> 6. A 2015 Top-10 Billboard house track by Mike Posner, remixed
> by Seeb, depicts his drug-fueled night while attending an
> Avicii concert. In this case, the city whose name we want is
> on an island whose name is the same.
>
> 7. Originally sung by Murray Head and part of the score for
> the musical "Chess", a new-wave/disco hit finds the protagonist
> denouncing this city's Chao Phraya River ["chow prah-YAH"]
> and Wat Pho statue. Name the city.

Bangkok

> 8. Which song by the Clash refers to concerns about nuclear errors
> and flooding of the River Thames? The *full title* is needed
> for this one.

London Calling

> 9. Ian Hunter wrote the song that was the opening theme for the
> Drew Carey Show from 1997 to 2004. Name the city in the title.

Chicago

> 10. A 1972 hit by the Guess Who mentions Moose Jaw, Moosomin,
> Red Deer, Terrace, and Medicine Hat. But another city is in
> the title -- which one is that?
>

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Entertainment - Movie Franchises
>
> In 1925, Gösta Ekman starred in "Karl XII" and "Karl XII, Del II"
> -- that's Swedish for "Part II". And while filmmakers have been
> numbering some of their sequels ever since, they also use other ways
> to distinguish them. Some have subtitles, like "The Hunger Games:
> Catching Fire"; some use both methods in combination; and sometimes
> the sequel has a completely new title, like "Minions". In this
> round we test your familiarity with different movie franchises.
>
> 1. Before last year, the last live-action "Star Wars" movie appeared
> in 2005. Give *either* its episode number or its subtitle.

III

> 2. The titles of the "Star Trek" movies stopped using sequence
> numbers when the Next Generation cast joined the series.
> The last of the numbered movies was released in 1991.
> Give either its sequence number or its subtitle.

VIII, IX

> 3. There have been four movies in the "Pirates of the Caribbean"
> series, each with a subtitle. We'll list three of those
> subtitles in alphabetical order: "At World's End", Dead Man's
> Chest", and "On Stranger Tides". What was the subtitle of the
> other movie?

Davy Jones' Locker

> 4. For this question you must give the exact title, and we mean
> completely exact: if you add or omit the word "the", you're
> wrong. Now, name *any one of the first three* sequels to "The
> Fast and the Furious" (2001). They were released in 2003,
> 2006, and 2009.

The Faster and the Furious

> 5. There were 7 novels in the Harry Potter series, but 8 movies.
> Give the *full title* of the *7th movie*, from 2010.
>
> 6. There was one novel "The Hobbit", but it became three movies.
> Give the subtitle of the last one, released in 2014.

The Battle of the Five Armies

> 7. We need a two-part answer here. Name any actor who played James
> Bond in a movie *after* Sean Connery, *and* name the *first*
> movie that that actor played him in.

George Lazenby in On Her Majesty's Secret Service

> 8. And then there's the other J.B. In the series that started
> in 2002 with "The Bourne Identity", the next two movies also
> starred Matt Damon as Jason Bourne and were based on novels by
> Robert Ludlum. They came out in 2004 and 2007. Give *both*
> titles *in order* of release.
>
> 9. There were five sequels to "The Thin Man" (1934), all starring
> William Powell and Myrna Loy as Nick and Nora Charles.
> Name *any one*.

The Even Thinner Man meets Godzilla

> 10. This lawyer was first played by Warren William in "The Case
> of the Howling Dog", "The Case of the Curious Bride", "The
> Case of the Lucky Legs", and "The Case of the Velvet Claws",
> all made in the 1930s. You might know him better as the title
> character of a TV series with a different star, which ran from
> 1957 to 1966. Name the *character*.

cheers,
calvin

Joshua Kreitzer

Sep 15, 2016, 11:34:51 PM9/15/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:ieydnQ7b5bi5xUfKnZ2dnUU7-
VXN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 7, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - "Newark, Newark"
>
> 1. Which 1953 geographical swing song did They Might Be Giants
> cover with a more upbeat version? (Why they changed it I can't
> say, people just liked it better that way.) The title and the
> city are the same. Name that city.

Istanbul

> 2. What Pennsylvania town did Billy Joel pay tribute to, in his
> song about its blue-collar residents coping with the decline
> and closure of a steel mill?

Allentown

> 3. During his "Dangerous" World Tour, in which city did Michael
> Jackson apparently feel like a stranger, inspiring him to write
> a song on his state of mind during the height of the child-abuse
> accusations made against him?

Moscow

> 4. At 11 minutes and 22 seconds, what is the longest song released
> on a studio album by "Weird Al" Yankovic? It's not a parody,
> but was styled after "Dick's Automotive" by the Rugburns,
> and most of it consists of spoken-word narration made up of
> loosely connected anecdotes.

"Albuquerque"

> 5. Which city does Graham Nash sing of, in reference to riots in
> 1968 and those who went on trial for intent to incite them?

Chicago

> 6. A 2015 Top-10 Billboard house track by Mike Posner, remixed
> by Seeb, depicts his drug-fueled night while attending an
> Avicii concert. In this case, the city whose name we want is
> on an island whose name is the same.

Ibiza

> 7. Originally sung by Murray Head and part of the score for
> the musical "Chess", a new-wave/disco hit finds the protagonist
> denouncing this city's Chao Phraya River ["chow prah-YAH"]
> and Wat Pho statue. Name the city.

Bangkok

> 8. Which song by the Clash refers to concerns about nuclear errors
> and flooding of the River Thames? The *full title* is needed
> for this one.

"London Calling"

> 9. Ian Hunter wrote the song that was the opening theme for the
> Drew Carey Show from 1997 to 2004. Name the city in the title.

Cleveland

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Entertainment - Movie Franchises
>
> 1. Before last year, the last live-action "Star Wars" movie appeared
> in 2005. Give *either* its episode number or its subtitle.

Episode III

> 2. The titles of the "Star Trek" movies stopped using sequence
> numbers when the Next Generation cast joined the series.
> The last of the numbered movies was released in 1991.
> Give either its sequence number or its subtitle.

VI

> 3. There have been four movies in the "Pirates of the Caribbean"
> series, each with a subtitle. We'll list three of those
> subtitles in alphabetical order: "At World's End", Dead Man's
> Chest", and "On Stranger Tides". What was the subtitle of the
> other movie?

"The Curse of the Black Pearl"

> 4. For this question you must give the exact title, and we mean
> completely exact: if you add or omit the word "the", you're
> wrong. Now, name *any one of the first three* sequels to "The
> Fast and the Furious" (2001). They were released in 2003,
> 2006, and 2009.

"2 Fast 2 Furious"

> 5. There were 7 novels in the Harry Potter series, but 8 movies.
> Give the *full title* of the *7th movie*, from 2010.

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I"

> 6. There was one novel "The Hobbit", but it became three movies.
> Give the subtitle of the last one, released in 2014.

"The Battle of the Five Armies"

> 7. We need a two-part answer here. Name any actor who played James
> Bond in a movie *after* Sean Connery, *and* name the *first*
> movie that that actor played him in.

Daniel Craig, "Casino Royale"

> 8. And then there's the other J.B. In the series that started
> in 2002 with "The Bourne Identity", the next two movies also
> starred Matt Damon as Jason Bourne and were based on novels by
> Robert Ludlum. They came out in 2004 and 2007. Give *both*
> titles *in order* of release.

"The Bourne Supremacy," "The Bourne Ultimatum"

> 9. There were five sequels to "The Thin Man" (1934), all starring
> William Powell and Myrna Loy as Nick and Nora Charles.
> Name *any one*.

"After the Thin Man"

> 10. This lawyer was first played by Warren William in "The Case
> of the Howling Dog", "The Case of the Curious Bride", "The
> Case of the Lucky Legs", and "The Case of the Velvet Claws",
> all made in the 1930s. You might know him better as the title
> character of a TV series with a different star, which ran from
> 1957 to 1966. Name the *character*.

Perry Mason

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Pete

Sep 16, 2016, 4:09:48 PM9/16/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:ieydnQ7b5bi5xUfKnZ2dnUU7-
VXN...@giganews.com:

Pittsburgh

> 3. During his "Dangerous" World Tour, in which city did Michael
> Jackson apparently feel like a stranger, inspiring him to write
> a song on his state of mind during the height of the child-abuse
> accusations made against him?
>
> 4. At 11 minutes and 22 seconds, what is the longest song released
> on a studio album by "Weird Al" Yankovic? It's not a parody,
> but was styled after "Dick's Automotive" by the Rugburns,
> and most of it consists of spoken-word narration made up of
> loosely connected anecdotes.
>
> 5. Which city does Graham Nash sing of, in reference to riots in
> 1968 and those who went on trial for intent to incite them?

Chicago

> 6. A 2015 Top-10 Billboard house track by Mike Posner, remixed
> by Seeb, depicts his drug-fueled night while attending an
> Avicii concert. In this case, the city whose name we want is
> on an island whose name is the same.
>
> 7. Originally sung by Murray Head and part of the score for
> the musical "Chess", a new-wave/disco hit finds the protagonist
> denouncing this city's Chao Phraya River ["chow prah-YAH"]
> and Wat Pho statue. Name the city.

Phnom Penh

> 8. Which song by the Clash refers to concerns about nuclear errors
> and flooding of the River Thames? The *full title* is needed
> for this one.
>
> 9. Ian Hunter wrote the song that was the opening theme for the
> Drew Carey Show from 1997 to 2004. Name the city in the title.

Cleveland

> 10. A 1972 hit by the Guess Who mentions Moose Jaw, Moosomin,
> Red Deer, Terrace, and Medicine Hat. But another city is in
> the title -- which one is that?

Saskatoon

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Entertainment - Movie Franchises
>
> In 1925, Gösta Ekman starred in "Karl XII" and "Karl XII, Del II"
> -- that's Swedish for "Part II". And while filmmakers have been
> numbering some of their sequels ever since, they also use other ways
> to distinguish them. Some have subtitles, like "The Hunger Games:
> Catching Fire"; some use both methods in combination; and sometimes
> the sequel has a completely new title, like "Minions". In this
> round we test your familiarity with different movie franchises.
>
> 1. Before last year, the last live-action "Star Wars" movie appeared
> in 2005. Give *either* its episode number or its subtitle.

Revenge of the Sith

> 2. The titles of the "Star Trek" movies stopped using sequence
> numbers when the Next Generation cast joined the series.
> The last of the numbered movies was released in 1991.
> Give either its sequence number or its subtitle.

VI

> 3. There have been four movies in the "Pirates of the Caribbean"
> series, each with a subtitle. We'll list three of those
> subtitles in alphabetical order: "At World's End", Dead Man's
> Chest", and "On Stranger Tides". What was the subtitle of the
> other movie?
>
> 4. For this question you must give the exact title, and we mean
> completely exact: if you add or omit the word "the", you're
> wrong. Now, name *any one of the first three* sequels to "The
> Fast and the Furious" (2001). They were released in 2003,
> 2006, and 2009.
>
> 5. There were 7 novels in the Harry Potter series, but 8 movies.
> Give the *full title* of the *7th movie*, from 2010.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part One

> 6. There was one novel "The Hobbit", but it became three movies.
> Give the subtitle of the last one, released in 2014.

Battle of the Five Armies

> 7. We need a two-part answer here. Name any actor who played James
> Bond in a movie *after* Sean Connery, *and* name the *first*
> movie that that actor played him in.

Roger Moore, Live and Let Die; Roger Moore, Moonraker

> 8. And then there's the other J.B. In the series that started
> in 2002 with "The Bourne Identity", the next two movies also
> starred Matt Damon as Jason Bourne and were based on novels by
> Robert Ludlum. They came out in 2004 and 2007. Give *both*
> titles *in order* of release.
>
> 9. There were five sequels to "The Thin Man" (1934), all starring
> William Powell and Myrna Loy as Nick and Nora Charles.
> Name *any one*.
>
> 10. This lawyer was first played by Warren William in "The Case
> of the Howling Dog", "The Case of the Curious Bride", "The
> Case of the Lucky Legs", and "The Case of the Velvet Claws",
> all made in the 1930s. You might know him better as the title
> character of a TV series with a different star, which ran from
> 1957 to 1966. Name the *character*.

Perry Mason

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Sep 18, 2016, 5:33:00 AM9/18/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-07-04,
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I wrote one of these rounds.

The movie round.

> * Game 7, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - "Newark, Newark"

> This is a music round, but without the music. We're calling
> it miscellaneous, and it's about songs with cities (or towns,
> etc.) in the title. Unless otherwise indicated, you just need
> to name the city, not the full title of the song. Of course,
> sometimes the city name *is* the full title.

I'll show the full titles as answers even though you only had to
give the city name.

> 1. Which 1953 geographical swing song did They Might Be Giants
> cover with a more upbeat version? (Why they changed it I can't
> say, people just liked it better that way.) The title and the
> city are the same. Name that city.

"Istanbul" (not Constantinople -- which is to say, "Constantinople"
was not acceptable). 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

> 2. What Pennsylvania town did Billy Joel pay tribute to, in his
> song about its blue-collar residents coping with the decline
> and closure of a steel mill?

"Allentown". 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, Dan Tilque, Stephen, Calvin,
and Joshua.

> 3. During his "Dangerous" World Tour, in which city did Michael
> Jackson apparently feel like a stranger, inspiring him to write
> a song on his state of mind during the height of the child-abuse
> accusations made against him?

"Stranger in Moscow". 4 for Peter, Stephen, and Joshua.

> 4. At 11 minutes and 22 seconds, what is the longest song released
> on a studio album by "Weird Al" Yankovic? It's not a parody,
> but was styled after "Dick's Automotive" by the Rugburns,
> and most of it consists of spoken-word narration made up of
> loosely connected anecdotes.

"Albuquerque". 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

> 5. Which city does Graham Nash sing of, in reference to riots in
> 1968 and those who went on trial for intent to incite them?

"Chicago". 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, Marc, Dan Tilque, Stephen,
Joshua, and Pete.

> 6. A 2015 Top-10 Billboard house track by Mike Posner, remixed
> by Seeb, depicts his drug-fueled night while attending an
> Avicii concert. In this case, the city whose name we want is
> on an island whose name is the same.

"I took a Pill in Ibiza". 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

> 7. Originally sung by Murray Head and part of the score for
> the musical "Chess", a new-wave/disco hit finds the protagonist
> denouncing this city's Chao Phraya River ["chow prah-YAH"]
> and Wat Pho statue. Name the city.

"One Night in Bangkok". 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Erland, Stephen,
Calvin, and Joshua.

> 8. Which song by the Clash refers to concerns about nuclear errors
> and flooding of the River Thames? The *full title* is needed
> for this one.

"London Calling". 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Erland, Stephen,
Calvin, and Joshua.

> 9. Ian Hunter wrote the song that was the opening theme for the
> Drew Carey Show from 1997 to 2004. Name the city in the title.

"Cleveland Rocks". 4 for Bruce, Marc, Stephen, Joshua, and Pete.

> 10. A 1972 hit by the Guess Who mentions Moose Jaw, Moosomin,
> Red Deer, Terrace, and Medicine Hat. But another city is in
> the title -- which one is that?

"Runnin' Back to Saskatoon". 4 for Stephen and Pete.

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Entertainment - Movie Franchises

> In 1925, Gösta Ekman starred in "Karl XII" and "Karl XII, Del II"
> -- that's Swedish for "Part II". And while filmmakers have been
> numbering some of their sequels ever since, they also use other ways
> to distinguish them. Some have subtitles, like "The Hunger Games:
> Catching Fire"; some use both methods in combination; and sometimes
> the sequel has a completely new title, like "Minions". In this
> round we test your familiarity with different movie franchises.

I will show complete titles as answers even when you were only asked
for part of them.

> 1. Before last year, the last live-action "Star Wars" movie appeared
> in 2005. Give *either* its episode number or its subtitle.

"Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith". 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce,
Dan Tilque, Peter, Stephen, Calvin, Joshua, and Pete.

> 2. The titles of the "Star Trek" movies stopped using sequence
> numbers when the Next Generation cast joined the series.
> The last of the numbered movies was released in 1991.
> Give either its sequence number or its subtitle.

"Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country". 4 for Dan Blum, Peter,
Stephen, Joshua, and Pete.

> 3. There have been four movies in the "Pirates of the Caribbean"
> series, each with a subtitle. We'll list three of those
> subtitles in alphabetical order: "At World's End", Dead Man's
> Chest", and "On Stranger Tides". What was the subtitle of the
> other movie?

"Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" (2003, first
in the series). 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua. 3 for Peter.

> 4. For this question you must give the exact title, and we mean
> completely exact: if you add or omit the word "the", you're
> wrong. Now, name *any one of the first three* sequels to "The
> Fast and the Furious" (2001). They were released in 2003,
> 2006, and 2009.

"2 Fast 2 Furious" (I accepted "Too Fast Too Furious", as it would be
pronounced the same way), "The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift",
"Fast & Furious". 4 for Bruce, Peter, Stephen, and Joshua.
2 for Dan Blum.

> 5. There were 7 novels in the Harry Potter series, but 8 movies.
> Give the *full title* of the *7th movie*, from 2010.

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1". 4 for Dan Blum,
Peter, Stephen, Joshua, and Pete.

There *were* 7 novels; now it's 7 novels and a play script. The play
opened, and the script was released in book form, a few weeks after
the original game was played.

> 6. There was one novel "The Hobbit", but it became three movies.
> Give the subtitle of the last one, released in 2014.

"The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies". 4 for Dan Blum, Peter,
Stephen, Calvin, Joshua, and Pete.

> 7. We need a two-part answer here. Name any actor who played James
> Bond in a movie *after* Sean Connery, *and* name the *first*
> movie that that actor played him in.

George Lazenby in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" (1969), Roger
Moore in "Live and Let Die" (1973), Timothy Dalton in "The Living
Daylights" (1987), Pierce Brosnan in "GoldenEye" (1995), Daniel
Craig in "Casino Royale" (2006). 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, Peter,
Erland, Stephen, Calvin, and Joshua. 3 for Pete.

> 8. And then there's the other J.B. In the series that started
> in 2002 with "The Bourne Identity", the next two movies also
> starred Matt Damon as Jason Bourne and were based on novels by
> Robert Ludlum. They came out in 2004 and 2007. Give *both*
> titles *in order* of release.

"The Bourne Supremacy", "The Bourne Ultimatum". 4 for Dan Blum,
Marc, Stephen, and Joshua.

> 9. There were five sequels to "The Thin Man" (1934), all starring
> William Powell and Myrna Loy as Nick and Nora Charles.
> Name *any one*.

"After the Thin Man" (1936), "Another Thin Man" (1939), "Shadow of
the Thin Man" (1941), "The Thin Man Goes Home" (1945), "Song of the
Thin Man" (1947). 4 for Marc, Stephen, and Joshua.

(The title phrase "Thin Man" refers to different characters in
different movies; in the original movie the character's weight was a
plot point. In at least one of the later ones, it appears to refer
to Nick Charles himself.)

> 10. This lawyer was first played by Warren William in "The Case
> of the Howling Dog", "The Case of the Curious Bride", "The
> Case of the Lucky Legs", and "The Case of the Velvet Claws",
> all made in the 1930s. You might know him better as the title
> character of a TV series with a different star, which ran from
> 1957 to 1966. Name the *character*.

Perry Mason. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, Marc, Dan Tilque, Peter, Stephen,
Joshua, and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 7 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Lit Mis Ent
Joshua Kreitzer 16 32 36 40 124
Dan Blum 16 20 20 34 90
Stephen Perry -- -- 40 40 80
"Calvin" 9 8 12 12 41
Marc Dashevsky 0 12 16 12 40
Dan Tilque 16 8 8 8 40
Peter Smyth -- -- 8 31 39
Pete Gayde -- -- 12 23 35
Bruce Bowler -- -- 12 16 28
Erland Sommarskog 16 0 8 4 28

--
Mark Brader | "Whose tracks these are I think I know;
Toronto | The railroad has gone bankrupt, though..."