Calvin's Quiz #549

Calvin

Jan 6, 2019, 6:31:36 PM1/6/19
Happy New Year to all.

1 The main hub for Emirates airline is located in which city?
2 Which Hungarian-American actor [1882-1956] was buried in a Dracula costume?
3 Which actor portrayed Dominic Toretto in 'The Fast and the Furious' film series?
4 Which piece of sporting equipment is also the trophy for the annual Teen Choice Awards?
5 Which national capital was formerly known as Fort Salisbury?
6 Sagamore Hill house was the home of which US president from 1885 until his death in 1919?
7 Which American Military Academy was established in 1802, some 80 kilometres north of New York City?
8 The beer abbreviation IPA stands for which three words?
9 By what name is Batman's antagonist Oswald Cobblepot better known?
10 The Moulin Rouge nightclub is located in which historic district of Paris?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jan 6, 2019, 6:35:55 PM1/6/19
"Calvin":
> Happy New Year to all.

Thankew.

> 1 The main hub for Emirates airline is located in which city?

Dubai?

> 2 Which Hungarian-American actor [1882-1956] was buried in a
> Dracula costume?

Lugosi.

> 3 Which actor portrayed Dominic Toretto in 'The Fast and the
> Furious' film series?

Johnson.

> 4 Which piece of sporting equipment is also the trophy for the
> annual Teen Choice Awards?

A Frisbee?

> 5 Which national capital was formerly known as Fort Salisbury?

Harare?

> 6 Sagamore Hill house was the home of which US president from
> 1885 until his death in 1919?

Theodore Roosevelt?

> 7 Which American Military Academy was established in 1802, some
> 80 kilometres north of New York City?

West Point.

> 8 The beer abbreviation IPA stands for which three words?

India pale ale.

> 9 By what name is Batman's antagonist Oswald Cobblepot better known?

The Penguin.

> 10 The Moulin Rouge nightclub is located in which historic
> district of Paris?

Montmartre.
--
Mark Brader | "To a guy, an RGB value is three bits rather than bytes.
Toronto | ...000 Black, 001 Blue, 010 Green, ..., 111 White."

Dan Blum

Jan 6, 2019, 9:06:23 PM1/6/19
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Happy New Year to all.

> 1 The main hub for Emirates airline is located in which city?

Dubai

> 2 Which Hungarian-American actor [1882-1956] was buried in a Dracula costume?

Bela Lugosi

> 3 Which actor portrayed Dominic Toretto in 'The Fast and the Furious' film series?

Vin Diesel

> 5 Which national capital was formerly known as Fort Salisbury?

Ottawa

> 6 Sagamore Hill house was the home of which US president from 1885 until his death in 1919?

Chester A. Arthur

> 7 Which American Military Academy was established in 1802, some 80 kilometres north of New York City?

West Point

> 8 The beer abbreviation IPA stands for which three words?

India Pale Ale

> 9 By what name is Batman's antagonist Oswald Cobblepot better known?

The Penguin

> 10 The Moulin Rouge nightclub is located in which historic district of Paris?

Montmarte

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Pete Gayde

Jan 6, 2019, 10:03:03 PM1/6/19
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> Happy New Year to all.
>
> 1 The main hub for Emirates airline is located in which city?

Dubai

> 2 Which Hungarian-American actor [1882-1956] was buried in a
> Dracula costume?

Bela Lugosi

> 3 Which actor portrayed Dominic Toretto in 'The
> Fast and the Furious' film series?

Wahlberg

> 4 Which piece of sporting
> equipment is also the trophy for the annual Teen Choice Awards?

Skateboard

> 5 Which national capital was formerly known as Fort Salisbury?

Canberra

> 6 Sagamore Hill house was the home of which US president from 1885
> until his death in 1919?

Teddy Roosevelt

> 7 Which American Military Academy was
> established in 1802, some 80 kilometres north of New York City?

West Point

> 8 The beer abbreviation IPA stands for which three words?

India Pale Ale

> 9 By what
> name is Batman's antagonist Oswald Cobblepot better known?

The Riddler

> 10 The
> Moulin Rouge nightclub is located in which historic district of Paris?

Montparnasse

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 7, 2019, 3:37:06 AM1/7/19
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 The main hub for Emirates airline is located in which city?

Dubai

> 5 Which national capital was formerly known as Fort Salisbury?

Harare

> 6 Sagamore Hill house was the home of which US president from 1885
> until his death in 1919?

Theodore Roosevelt

> 8 The beer abbreviation IPA stands for which three words?

Indian Pale Ale

> 10 The Moulin Rouge nightclub is located in which historic district
> of Paris?

Montmartre

Dan Tilque

Jan 9, 2019, 1:49:44 AM1/9/19
Calvin wrote:
> Happy New Year to all.
>
> 1 The main hub for Emirates airline is located in which city?

Dubai

> 2 Which Hungarian-American actor [1882-1956] was buried in a Dracula costume?
> 3 Which actor portrayed Dominic Toretto in 'The Fast and the Furious' film series?
> 4 Which piece of sporting equipment is also the trophy for the annual Teen Choice Awards?
> 5 Which national capital was formerly known as Fort Salisbury?

Harare

> 6 Sagamore Hill house was the home of which US president from 1885 until his death in 1919?

Taft

> 7 Which American Military Academy was established in 1802, some 80 kilometres north of New York City?

West Point

> 8 The beer abbreviation IPA stands for which three words?

India Pale Ale

> 9 By what name is Batman's antagonist Oswald Cobblepot better known?

Riddler (my other guess would be Mr Freeze)

> 10 The Moulin Rouge nightclub is located in which historic district of Paris?

--
Dan Tilque

swp

Jan 9, 2019, 7:12:47 PM1/9/19
On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 6:31:36 PM UTC-5, Calvin wrote:
> Happy New Year to all.
>
> 1 The main hub for Emirates airline is located in which city?

dubai

> 2 Which Hungarian-American actor [1882-1956] was buried in a Dracula costume?

bella lugosi

> 3 Which actor portrayed Dominic Toretto in 'The Fast and the Furious' film series?

vin diesel

> 4 Which piece of sporting equipment is also the trophy for the annual Teen Choice Awards?

surf board

> 5 Which national capital was formerly known as Fort Salisbury?

harare

> 6 Sagamore Hill house was the home of which US president from 1885 until his death in 1919?

teddy roosevelt

> 7 Which American Military Academy was established in 1802, some 80 kilometres north of New York City?

west point

> 8 The beer abbreviation IPA stands for which three words?

india/imperial pale ale

> 9 By what name is Batman's antagonist Oswald Cobblepot better known?

the penguin

> 10 The Moulin Rouge nightclub is located in which historic district of Paris?

pagalle

swp

Calvin

Jan 13, 2019, 6:33:59 PM1/13/19
On Monday, January 7, 2019 at 9:31:36 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 The main hub for Emirates airline is located in which city?

Dubai

> 2 Which Hungarian-American actor [1882-1956] was buried in a Dracula costume?

Bella Lugosi

> 3 Which actor portrayed Dominic Toretto in 'The Fast and the Furious' film series?

Vin Diesel

> 4 Which piece of sporting equipment is also the trophy for the annual Teen Choice Awards?

A surfboard
Singleton for Stephen

> 5 Which national capital was formerly known as Fort Salisbury?

Harare

> 6 Sagamore Hill house was the home of which US president from 1885 until his death in 1919?

Teddy Roosevelt

> 7 Which American Military Academy was established in 1802, some 80 kilometres north of New York City?

West Point

> 8 The beer abbreviation IPA stands for which three words?

India Pale Ale

> 9 By what name is Batman's antagonist Oswald Cobblepot better known?

The Penguin

> 10 The Moulin Rouge nightclub is located in which historic district of Paris?

Pigalle
Singleton for Stephen

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 549
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 10 37 Stephen Perry
1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 7 33 Mark Brader
1 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 6 27 Dan Blum
1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 5 25 Dan Tilque
1 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 5 25 Pete Gayde
1 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 4 20 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
6 4 2 1 4 4 5 6 4 1 37 62%

Congratulations Stephen.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jan 13, 2019, 7:29:02 PM1/13/19
"Calvin":
> > 10 The Moulin Rouge nightclub is located in which historic district of Paris?
>
> Pigalle
> Singleton for Stephen

I protest. I have no problem with this answer being accepted, but
Montmartre is at least sometimes considered to extend south to the
Boulevard de Clichy, which puts the Moulin Rouge in it. For example,
this official tourist site:

http://en.parisinfo.com/discovering-paris/walks-in-paris/montmartre-village-in-paris

lists the nightclub as a Montmartre attraction. Google Maps shows
exact boundaries for Montmartre that appear to show it ending about
40 m before the Bd. de Clichy, thus including part of the nightclub
building. And for what it's worth, Wikipedia claims (in English,
though not in the corresponding French article) that there is a
designated Montmartre historic district and the Bd. de Clichy is
part of its boundaries.
--
Mark Brader | "Basically, what I *really* want is the USENET of the 1980s
Toronto | without the high long-distance telephone bills."

Calvin

Jan 13, 2019, 9:31:02 PM1/13/19
On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 10:29:02 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> "Calvin":
> > > 10 The Moulin Rouge nightclub is located in which historic district of Paris?
> >
> > Pigalle
> > Singleton for Stephen
>
> I protest. I have no problem with this answer being accepted, but
> Montmartre is at least sometimes considered to extend south to the
> Boulevard de Clichy, which puts the Moulin Rouge in it. For example,
> this official tourist site:
>
> http://en.parisinfo.com/discovering-paris/walks-in-paris/montmartre-village-in-paris
>
> lists the nightclub as a Montmartre attraction. Google Maps shows
> exact boundaries for Montmartre that appear to show it ending about
> 40 m before the Bd. de Clichy, thus including part of the nightclub
> building. And for what it's worth, Wikipedia claims (in English,
> though not in the corresponding French article) that there is a
> designated Montmartre historic district and the Bd. de Clichy is
> part of its boundaries.

Fair enough - protest upheld.

Revised scores:
Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 549
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 10 40 Stephen Perry
1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 8 37 Mark Brader
1 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 7 31 Dan Blum
1 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 1 5 24 Erland S
1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 5 25 Dan Tilque
1 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 5 25 Pete Gayde
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
6 4 2 1 4 4 5 6 4 4 40 67%

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jan 15, 2019, 12:35:00 AM1/15/19
Mark Brader:
>> I protest...
>> Montmartre is at least sometimes considered to extend south to the
>> Boulevard de Clichy, which puts the Moulin Rouge in it. For example,
>> this official tourist site... Google Maps... And for what it's
>> worth, Wikipedia...

And just to pile on now that it's been decided, a few hours ago on
"Jeopardy!", they had a category WINDMILLS and this was the $800 question:

PARIS' MONTMARTRE AREA ONCE HAD 30 WINDMILLS; TODAY THE BEST-KNOWN
ONE IS THE MOULIN OUTSIDE THIS NIGHTSPOT

(It was answered correctly.)
--
Mark Brader "How can we believe that?"
Toronto "Because this time it's true!"

Calvin

Jan 15, 2019, 6:17:22 PM1/15/19
On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 3:35:00 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> >> I protest...
> >> Montmartre is at least sometimes considered to extend south to the
> >> Boulevard de Clichy, which puts the Moulin Rouge in it. For example,
> >> this official tourist site... Google Maps... And for what it's
> >> worth, Wikipedia...
>
> And just to pile on now that it's been decided, a few hours ago on
> "Jeopardy!", they had a category WINDMILLS and this was the $800 question:
>
> PARIS' MONTMARTRE AREA ONCE HAD 30 WINDMILLS; TODAY THE BEST-KNOWN
> ONE IS THE MOULIN OUTSIDE THIS NIGHTSPOT

Why put moulin in the question I wonder, rather than mill? Gives it away entirely.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jan 16, 2019, 12:57:51 PM1/16/19
Mark Brader:
> > PARIS' MONTMARTRE AREA ONCE HAD 30 WINDMILLS; TODAY THE BEST-KNOWN
> > ONE IS THE MOULIN OUTSIDE THIS NIGHTSPOT

"Calvin":
> Why put moulin in the question I wonder, rather than mill?

A hint.

> Gives it away entirely.

With only a few seconds to answer, that's not necessarily the case.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
Irving Thalberg's advice on GONE WITH THE WIND:

Calvin

Jan 24, 2019, 7:22:42 PM1/24/19
On Thursday, January 17, 2019 at 3:57:51 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> > > PARIS' MONTMARTRE AREA ONCE HAD 30 WINDMILLS; TODAY THE BEST-KNOWN
> > > ONE IS THE MOULIN OUTSIDE THIS NIGHTSPOT
>
> "Calvin":
> > Why put moulin in the question I wonder, rather than mill?
>
> A hint.
>
> > Gives it away entirely.
>
> With only a few seconds to answer, that's not necessarily the case.

Indeed.

cheers,
calvin