QFTCIBSI Final, Round 7: Geography

Mark Brader

May 31, 2016, 12:04:35 AM5/31/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-12-08,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 7 - Geography

* TTC Stations

1. When the TTC subway opened in 1954, the southern terminus was
Union Station. What was the northern terminus?

2. Of the original stations on the Bloor-Danforth Line (so, not
Kipling), what is the only one whose main entrance is to the
south of Bloor St.?

3. What is the only TTC subway station that has no connections to
regular streetcar or bus routes?

* Name the Country

4. The name of which Asian country is 18 letters long *with vowels
and consonants alternating* for the entire name?

5. The English translation of the name of a 16th-century colony was
"The Province of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Savior of the World".
That colony became an independent country in 1898. By what name
do we know that country today?

6. The name of which African country can also be found in the name
of two other African countries and in the name of a fourth,
non-African country?

* Geography in Art

7. What type of lake is found in the title of this Thomas Cole
painting?

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/geog/7.jpg

8. What is the name of the mountain in Provence featured in this
Paul Cézanne painting?

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/geog/8.jpg

9. What mountain is the subject of this painting by Joseph Wright
of Derby?

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/geog/9.jpg

* How Many States?

10. Herbie the Love Bug would be able to tell you: How many
independent and sovereign states are currently in the
Commonwealth of Nations?

11. Joe Montana would be able to tell you: How many federal states
are there in Germany?

12. Baskin-Robbins' staff would be able to tell you: Excluding
the federal district, how many states of Mexico are there?

* European Capitals

Given the cryptic or punny clue, you tell us the name of the
European capital.

13. Half of quadruplin'.
14. Siddhartha Gautama Mosquito.
15. Uncle Miltie is at home.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Gadgetry abounded everywhere, almost all of which
m...@vex.net | he could justify." -- Robert Asprin

Dan Blum

May 31, 2016, 12:48:48 AM5/31/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 7 - Geography

> * Name the Country

> 4. The name of which Asian country is 18 letters long *with vowels
> and consonants alternating* for the entire name?

United Arab Emirates

> 5. The English translation of the name of a 16th-century colony was
> "The Province of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Savior of the World".
> That colony became an independent country in 1898. By what name
> do we know that country today?

El Salvador

> 6. The name of which African country can also be found in the name
> of two other African countries and in the name of a fourth,
> non-African country?

Guinea

> * Geography in Art

> 7. What type of lake is found in the title of this Thomas Cole
> painting?

ox-bow

> 9. What mountain is the subject of this painting by Joseph Wright
> of Derby?

Etna; Vesuvius

> * How Many States?

> 10. Herbie the Love Bug would be able to tell you: How many
> independent and sovereign states are currently in the
> Commonwealth of Nations?

13; 15

> 11. Joe Montana would be able to tell you: How many federal states
> are there in Germany?

30; 49

> 12. Baskin-Robbins' staff would be able to tell you: Excluding
> the federal district, how many states of Mexico are there?

31

> * European Capitals

> 13. Half of quadruplin'.

Dublin

> 14. Siddhartha Gautama Mosquito.

Budapest

> 15. Uncle Miltie is at home.

Berlin

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

May 31, 2016, 2:00:10 AM5/31/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:nI2dnXLhB4DPkNDKnZ2dnUU7-
aHN...@giganews.com:

> ** Final, Round 7 - Geography
>
> * Name the Country
>
> 4. The name of which Asian country is 18 letters long *with vowels
> and consonants alternating* for the entire name?

United Arab Emirates

> 5. The English translation of the name of a 16th-century colony was
> "The Province of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Savior of the World".
> That colony became an independent country in 1898. By what name
> do we know that country today?

El Salvador (?)

> 6. The name of which African country can also be found in the name
> of two other African countries and in the name of a fourth,
> non-African country?

Guinea

> * How Many States?
>
> 10. Herbie the Love Bug would be able to tell you: How many
> independent and sovereign states are currently in the
> Commonwealth of Nations?

58; 62

> 11. Joe Montana would be able to tell you: How many federal states
> are there in Germany?

16

> 12. Baskin-Robbins' staff would be able to tell you: Excluding
> the federal district, how many states of Mexico are there?

31

> * European Capitals
>
> Given the cryptic or punny clue, you tell us the name of the
> European capital.
>
> 13. Half of quadruplin'.

Dublin

> 14. Siddhartha Gautama Mosquito.

Budapest

> 15. Uncle Miltie is at home.

Berlin

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Marc Dashevsky

May 31, 2016, 7:11:57 AM5/31/16
In article <nI2dnXLhB4DPkNDK...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> ** Final, Round 7 - Geography
> * Name the Country
>
> 4. The name of which Asian country is 18 letters long *with vowels
> and consonants alternating* for the entire name?
>
> 5. The English translation of the name of a 16th-century colony was
> "The Province of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Savior of the World".
> That colony became an independent country in 1898. By what name
> do we know that country today?
El Salvador

> 6. The name of which African country can also be found in the name
> of two other African countries and in the name of a fourth,
> non-African country?
Niger

> * Geography in Art
>
> 7. What type of lake is found in the title of this Thomas Cole
> painting?
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/geog/7.jpg
It's an oxbow, which is formation of a river, not a lake.

> 8. What is the name of the mountain in Provence featured in this
> Paul Cézanne painting?
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/geog/8.jpg
>
> 9. What mountain is the subject of this painting by Joseph Wright
> of Derby?
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/geog/9.jpg
>

> * How Many States?
>
> 10. Herbie the Love Bug would be able to tell you: How many
> independent and sovereign states are currently in the
> Commonwealth of Nations?

> 11. Joe Montana would be able to tell you: How many federal states
> are there in Germany?
>
> 12. Baskin-Robbins' staff would be able to tell you: Excluding
> the federal district, how many states of Mexico are there?
31

> * European Capitals
>
> Given the cryptic or punny clue, you tell us the name of the
> European capital.
>
> 13. Half of quadruplin'.
Dublin

> 14. Siddhartha Gautama Mosquito.
Budapest

> 15. Uncle Miltie is at home.
Berlin

Peter Smyth

May 31, 2016, 2:30:21 PM5/31/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 7 - Geography
>
> * TTC Stations
>
> 1. When the TTC subway opened in 1954, the southern terminus was
> Union Station. What was the northern terminus?
>
> 2. Of the original stations on the Bloor-Danforth Line (so, not
> Kipling), what is the only one whose main entrance is to the
> south of Bloor St.?
>
> 3. What is the only TTC subway station that has no connections to
> regular streetcar or bus routes?
>

> * Name the Country
>
> 4. The name of which Asian country is 18 letters long *with vowels
> and consonants alternating* for the entire name?
>
> 5. The English translation of the name of a 16th-century colony was
> "The Province of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Savior of the World".
> That colony became an independent country in 1898. By what name
> do we know that country today?
>
> 6. The name of which African country can also be found in the name
> of two other African countries and in the name of a fourth,
> non-African country?
Guinea

> * Geography in Art
>
> 7. What type of lake is found in the title of this Thomas Cole
> painting?
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/geog/7.jpg
Oxbow
> 8. What is the name of the mountain in Provence featured in this
> Paul Cézanne painting?
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/geog/8.jpg
>
> 9. What mountain is the subject of this painting by Joseph Wright
> of Derby?
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/geog/9.jpg
Vesuvius, Krakatoa

> * How Many States?
>
> 10. Herbie the Love Bug would be able to tell you: How many
> independent and sovereign states are currently in the
> Commonwealth of Nations?
52, 53
> 11. Joe Montana would be able to tell you: How many federal states
> are there in Germany?
14, 15
> 12. Baskin-Robbins' staff would be able to tell you: Excluding
> the federal district, how many states of Mexico are there?
33

> * European Capitals
>
> Given the cryptic or punny clue, you tell us the name of the
> European capital.
>
> 13. Half of quadruplin'.
Dublin
> 14. Siddhartha Gautama Mosquito.
Budapest
> 15. Uncle Miltie is at home.

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

May 31, 2016, 3:07:41 PM5/31/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> ** Final, Round 7 - Geography
>
> * TTC Stations

Yo comprende nada. Are we talking about Toronto?

> * Name the Country
>
> 4. The name of which Asian country is 18 letters long *with vowels
> and consonants alternating* for the entire name?

United Arab Emirates

> 5. The English translation of the name of a 16th-century colony was
> "The Province of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Savior of the World".
> That colony became an independent country in 1898. By what name
> do we know that country today?

Cuba

> 6. The name of which African country can also be found in the name
> of two other African countries and in the name of a fourth,
> non-African country?

Guinea

> * Geography in Art
>
> 7. What type of lake is found in the title of this Thomas Cole
> painting?
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/geog/7.jpg

Meander

> 9. What mountain is the subject of this painting by Joseph Wright
> of Derby?
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/geog/9.jpg

Kratakoa

> * How Many States?
>
> 10. Herbie the Love Bug would be able to tell you: How many
> independent and sovereign states are currently in the
> Commonwealth of Nations?

54

> 11. Joe Montana would be able to tell you: How many federal states
> are there in Germany?

15 (Difficult, since I'm not sure that Berlin counts as a state. Heck,
I'm not even sure that Hamburg and Bremen do.)

> 12. Baskin-Robbins' staff would be able to tell you: Excluding
> the federal district, how many states of Mexico are there?

21

> * European Capitals
>
> Given the cryptic or punny clue, you tell us the name of the
> European capital.
>
> 13. Half of quadruplin'.

Dublin

> 14. Siddhartha Gautama Mosquito.

Budapest

> 15. Uncle Miltie is at home.

Bucharest?

Dan Tilque

Jun 1, 2016, 12:41:10 AM6/1/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 7 - Geography
>
> * TTC Stations
>
> 1. When the TTC subway opened in 1954, the southern terminus was
> Union Station. What was the northern terminus?
>
> 2. Of the original stations on the Bloor-Danforth Line (so, not
> Kipling), what is the only one whose main entrance is to the
> south of Bloor St.?
>
> 3. What is the only TTC subway station that has no connections to
> regular streetcar or bus routes?
>

> * Name the Country
>
> 4. The name of which Asian country is 18 letters long *with vowels
> and consonants alternating* for the entire name?
>
> 5. The English translation of the name of a 16th-century colony was
> "The Province of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Savior of the World".
> That colony became an independent country in 1898. By what name
> do we know that country today?
>
> 6. The name of which African country can also be found in the name
> of two other African countries and in the name of a fourth,
> non-African country?

Guinea

> * Geography in Art
>
> 7. What type of lake is found in the title of this Thomas Cole
> painting?
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/geog/7.jpg

oxbow

> 8. What is the name of the mountain in Provence featured in this
> Paul Cézanne painting?
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/geog/8.jpg

Mount Blanc

> 9. What mountain is the subject of this painting by Joseph Wright
> of Derby?
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/geog/9.jpg

Mount Vesuvius

> * How Many States?
>
> 10. Herbie the Love Bug would be able to tell you: How many
> independent and sovereign states are currently in the
> Commonwealth of Nations?

28

> 11. Joe Montana would be able to tell you: How many federal states
> are there in Germany?

16

> 12. Baskin-Robbins' staff would be able to tell you: Excluding
> the federal district, how many states of Mexico are there?

31

> * European Capitals
>
> Given the cryptic or punny clue, you tell us the name of the
> European capital.
>
> 13. Half of quadruplin'.

Dublin

> 14. Siddhartha Gautama Mosquito.

Budapest

> 15. Uncle Miltie is at home.

Amsterdam

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Tilque

Jun 1, 2016, 1:06:05 AM6/1/16
Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> ** Final, Round 7 - Geography
>>
>> * TTC Stations
>>

> Yo comprende nada. Are we talking about Toronto?

The TTC is a mythical being that inhabits the Toronto area. No one's
ever seen it, but Torontonians all swear it exists. I think it's
supposed to be a lake monster, you know, like Nessie. Anyway, it's best
to humor them about it.

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Jun 1, 2016, 1:29:48 AM6/1/16
On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 2:04:35 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 7 - Geography
>
> * TTC Stations

Pass

> * Name the Country
>
> 4. The name of which Asian country is 18 letters long *with vowels
> and consonants alternating* for the entire name?

United Arab Emirates
That took a while...

> 5. The English translation of the name of a 16th-century colony was
> "The Province of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Savior of the World".
> That colony became an independent country in 1898. By what name
> do we know that country today?

El Salvador

> 6. The name of which African country can also be found in the name
> of two other African countries and in the name of a fourth,
> non-African country?

Guinea

> * Geography in Art
>
> 7. What type of lake is found in the title of this Thomas Cole
> painting?
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/geog/7.jpg

Oxbow

> 8. What is the name of the mountain in Provence featured in this
> Paul Cézanne painting?

Blanc, d'Huez

> 9. What mountain is the subject of this painting by Joseph Wright
> of Derby?

Vesuvius, Krakatoa

> * How Many States?
>
> 10. Herbie the Love Bug would be able to tell you: How many
> independent and sovereign states are currently in the
> Commonwealth of Nations?

57

> 11. Joe Montana would be able to tell you: How many federal states
> are there in Germany?

17, 18

> 12. Baskin-Robbins' staff would be able to tell you: Excluding
> the federal district, how many states of Mexico are there?

12, 13

> * European Capitals
>
> Given the cryptic or punny clue, you tell us the name of the
> European capital.
>
> 13. Half of quadruplin'.

Dublin

> 14. Siddhartha Gautama Mosquito.

Budapest

> 15. Uncle Miltie is at home.

Reykjavik?

cheers,
calvin

Pete

Jun 1, 2016, 10:15:27 PM6/1/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:nI2dnXLhB4DPkNDKnZ2dnUU7-
aHN...@giganews.com:

United Arab Emirates

> 5. The English translation of the name of a 16th-century colony was
> "The Province of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Savior of the World".
> That colony became an independent country in 1898. By what name
> do we know that country today?

Brazil

> 6. The name of which African country can also be found in the name
> of two other African countries and in the name of a fourth,
> non-African country?

Mali

> * Geography in Art
>
> 7. What type of lake is found in the title of this Thomas Cole
> painting?
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/geog/7.jpg
>
> 8. What is the name of the mountain in Provence featured in this
> Paul Cézanne painting?
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/geog/8.jpg
>
> 9. What mountain is the subject of this painting by Joseph Wright
> of Derby?
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/geog/9.jpg

Vesuvius

> * How Many States?
>
> 10. Herbie the Love Bug would be able to tell you: How many
> independent and sovereign states are currently in the
> Commonwealth of Nations?

12; 19

> 11. Joe Montana would be able to tell you: How many federal states
> are there in Germany?

16

> 12. Baskin-Robbins' staff would be able to tell you: Excluding
> the federal district, how many states of Mexico are there?

31

> * European Capitals
>
> Given the cryptic or punny clue, you tell us the name of the
> European capital.
>
> 13. Half of quadruplin'.

Dublin

> 14. Siddhartha Gautama Mosquito.

Budapest

> 15. Uncle Miltie is at home.

Berlin

Pete Gayde

Jason Kreitzer

Jun 1, 2016, 11:01:52 PM6/1/16
Mali

> * Geography in Art
>
> 7. What type of lake is found in the title of this Thomas Cole
> painting?
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/geog/7.jpg
>
> 8. What is the name of the mountain in Provence featured in this
> Paul Cézanne painting?
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/geog/8.jpg
Matterhorn?
> 9. What mountain is the subject of this painting by Joseph Wright
> of Derby?
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/geog/9.jpg
Sinai?

> * How Many States?
>
> 10. Herbie the Love Bug would be able to tell you: How many
> independent and sovereign states are currently in the
> Commonwealth of Nations?
50?
> 11. Joe Montana would be able to tell you: How many federal states
> are there in Germany?
12?
> 12. Baskin-Robbins' staff would be able to tell you: Excluding
> the federal district, how many states of Mexico are there?
31

> * European Capitals
>
> Given the cryptic or punny clue, you tell us the name of the
> European capital.
>
> 13. Half of quadruplin'.
Dublin
> 14. Siddhartha Gautama Mosquito.
Budapest
> 15. Uncle Miltie is at home.
Berlin

Björn Lundin

Jun 3, 2016, 3:31:54 AM6/3/16
On 2016-05-31 06:04, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-12-08,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 7 - Geography
>
> * TTC Stations

> * Name the Country
>
> 4. The name of which Asian country is 18 letters long *with vowels
> and consonants alternating* for the entire name?
>
> 5. The English translation of the name of a 16th-century colony was
> "The Province of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Savior of the World".
> That colony became an independent country in 1898. By what name
> do we know that country today?

S:t Kitts ; Trinidad & Tobago

> 6. The name of which African country can also be found in the name
> of two other African countries and in the name of a fourth,
> non-African country?
>

> * Geography in Art
>
> 7. What type of lake is found in the title of this Thomas Cole
> painting?
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/geog/7.jpg

Meander ?

> 8. What is the name of the mountain in Provence featured in this
> Paul Cézanne painting?
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/geog/8.jpg

Mont Blanc

> 9. What mountain is the subject of this painting by Joseph Wright
> of Derby?
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/geog/9.jpg

Vesuvius

> * How Many States?
>
> 10. Herbie the Love Bug would be able to tell you: How many
> independent and sovereign states are currently in the
> Commonwealth of Nations?

26; 18

> 11. Joe Montana would be able to tell you: How many federal states
> are there in Germany?

8;10

> 12. Baskin-Robbins' staff would be able to tell you: Excluding
> the federal district, how many states of Mexico are there?

15;12

> * European Capitals
>
> Given the cryptic or punny clue, you tell us the name of the
> European capital.
>
> 13. Half of quadruplin'.

Dublin

> 14. Siddhartha Gautama Mosquito.

Budapest

> 15. Uncle Miltie is at home.

Berlin; Madrid

Björn

Mark Brader

Jun 3, 2016, 4:58:32 AM6/3/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-12-08,
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> ** Final, Round 7 - Geography

> * TTC Stations

> 1. When the TTC subway opened in 1954, the southern terminus was
> Union Station. What was the northern terminus?

Eglinton, my "home" station.

> 2. Of the original stations on the Bloor-Danforth Line (so, not
> Kipling), what is the only one whose main entrance is to the
> south of Bloor St.?

Sherbourne.

> 3. What is the only TTC subway station that has no connections to
> regular streetcar or bus routes?

Chester.

> * Name the Country

> 4. The name of which Asian country is 18 letters long *with vowels
> and consonants alternating* for the entire name?

United Arab Emirates. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland, Calvin,
and Pete.

> 5. The English translation of the name of a 16th-century colony was
> "The Province of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Savior of the World".
> That colony became an independent country in 1898. By what name
> do we know that country today?

El Salvador. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc, and Calvin.

> 6. The name of which African country can also be found in the name
> of two other African countries and in the name of a fourth,
> non-African country?

Guinea. (Equatorial Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Papua New Guinea.)
4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Peter, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Calvin.

> * Geography in Art

> 7. What type of lake is found in the title of this Thomas Cole
> painting?

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/geog/7.jpg

Oxbow. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Erland, Dan Tilque, Calvin,
and Björn.

An oxbow lake is formed when a river shifts and one of its meanders
becomes detached. However, the formation in the painting does not
seem to be detached; it looks like a meander in the river. And then
Marc claims that "oxbow" refers to a formation in a river, not a lake.
Possibly the artist was using that terminology, odd as it seems.
I'm accepting the answer "meander" as well.

> 8. What is the name of the mountain in Provence featured in this
> Paul Cézanne painting?

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/geog/8.jpg

Mont Ste-Victoire.

> 9. What mountain is the subject of this painting by Joseph Wright
> of Derby?

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/geog/9.jpg

Vesuvius. 4 for Dan Tilque, Pete, and Björn. 3 for Peter and Calvin.
2 for Dan Blum.

> * How Many States?

> 10. Herbie the Love Bug would be able to tell you: How many
> independent and sovereign states are currently in the
> Commonwealth of Nations?

53. 2 for Peter.

See: http://www.herbiemania.com/lovebug1.jpg

> 11. Joe Montana would be able to tell you: How many federal states
> are there in Germany?

16. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

See: http://www.realclearsports.com/blognetwork/rcs_sidelines/Monta%20Seifert.jpg

> 12. Baskin-Robbins' staff would be able to tell you: Excluding
> the federal district, how many states of Mexico are there?

31. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc, Dan Tilque, Pete, and Jason.

See: http://media.getthefive.com/uploads/article_images/31.jpg

> * European Capitals

> Given the cryptic or punny clue, you tell us the name of the
> European capital.

> 13. Half of quadruplin'.

Dublin. ("Doublin'.") 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc,
Peter, Erland, Dan Tilque, Calvin, Pete, Jason, and Björn.

> 14. Siddhartha Gautama Mosquito.

Budapest. ("Buddha pest.") 4 for everyone.

> 15. Uncle Miltie is at home.

Berlin. ("Berle in.") 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc, Pete, and Jason.
3 for Björn.

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 BEST
TOPICS-> Lit Sci His Spo Geo THREE
Stephen Perry -- 60 56 56 -- 172
Marc Dashevsky 32 51 48 28 24 131
Joshua Kreitzer 48 33 48 28 32 129
Dan Tilque 16 40 44 8 28 112
Dan Blum 40 32 28 18 34 106
Peter Smyth -- 38 38 27 21 103
"Calvin" 20 25 34 34 27 95
Björn Lundin 0 29 40 8 19 88
Erland Sommarskog -- 31 32 12 20 83
Pete Gayde 4 -- -- 28 28 60
Bruce Bowler -- 48 -- -- -- 48
Jason Kreitzer 8 4 8 12 16 36

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "One of the most common diagnoses... was 'Other'."
m...@vex.net | --Atul Gawande, "The Checklist Manifesto"

Marc Dashevsky

Jun 3, 2016, 11:12:35 AM6/3/16
In article <i8udnVl_4MUq28zK...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> > 7. What type of lake is found in the title of this Thomas Cole
> > painting?
>
> > http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-7/geog/7.jpg
>
> Oxbow. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Erland, Dan Tilque, Calvin,
> and Björn.
>
> An oxbow lake is formed when a river shifts and one of its meanders
> becomes detached. However, the formation in the painting does not
> seem to be detached; it looks like a meander in the river. And then
> Marc claims that "oxbow" refers to a formation in a river, not a lake.

The one oxbow I grew up with (https://google.com/maps/@42.291815,-72.626342,15.22z)
was connected to the river. I was unaware that oxbows can eventually detach.

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 3, 2016, 2:15:46 PM6/3/16
Marc Dashevsky (use...@MarcDashevsky.com) writes:
> The one oxbow I grew up with
> (https://google.com/maps/@42.291815,-72.626342,15.22z) was connected to
> the river. I was unaware that oxbows can eventually detach.

Obviously, for the oxbow to be entirely detached from the river, the
flow into the oxbow must be less that the evaporation (or the water runs
elsewhere). Since this oxbow has rivers run into it, it may not be
the risk of drying out.

Mark Brader

Jun 3, 2016, 3:18:53 PM6/3/16
Erland Sommarskog:
> Obviously, for the oxbow to be entirely detached from the river, the
> flow into the oxbow must be less that the evaporation...

http://nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/oxbow-lake/ says:

# Oxbow lakes are stillwater lakes. This means that water does not
# flow into or out of them. There is no stream or spring feeding
# the lake, and it doesn't have a natural outlet. Oxbow lakes
# often become swamps or bogs, and they often dry up as their water
# evaporates.

--
Mark Brader diagnostic: n. Someone who's not sure
Toronto about science and evolution, either.