QFTCIMM16 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: geo-terms, < = >

Mark Brader

Jan 28, 2017, 12:32:12 AM1/28/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-31,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 6, Round 2 - Geography - Geographical & Cartographical Terms

We provide the definition; you name the term being defined.

1. A figure on a map, nautical chart, or monument used to
display the orientation of the four cardinal directions and
their intermediate points.

2. An elevated area of land with a flat top and steep or precipitous
sides, named from the Spanish for "table".

3. Parallel-ish lines used on topographic maps to show the shape
and elevation of the land. They connect points of equal
elevation.

4. A steep slope or long cliff that forms as an effect of faulting
or erosion and which separates two relatively level areas of
differing elevations.

5. An accumulation of glacial debris composed of soil and rock.
Formed when glaciers drop off this material. Types include
lateral, terminal, and medial.

6. The mass of rocks and finely ground material carried by a
glacier, then deposited when the ice melts. This material
is what <answer 5>s are formed from.

7. An area of diminished precipitation on the lee side of a mountain
or mountain range.

8. The elevation above which snow and ice cover the ground
throughout the year.

9. The level below the land surface at which the subsurface material
is fully saturated with water.

10. The broad lower course of a river that is encroached on by
the sea and affected by the tides.

* Game 6, Round 3 - Sports - Less is More

Often in sports, "less" means being on the losing side of the score
sheet. But in these questions, "less" is more.

1. Muggsy Bogues was the shortest man ever to play in the NBA.
Nevertheless, he was a regular for 14 years, and was credited
with 39 shot-blocks during his career, including one on 7' tall
Patrick Ewing. In feet and inches, within 1 inch, how tall
was Muggsy?

2. In soccer history, three goalkeepers share the record for
allowing the fewest goals in a World Cup Tournament, at 2.
Their teams all went on to win the championship. Name any
one of them -- the Italian, the Frenchman, or the Spaniard.

3. In 1990, a journeyman quarterback for the Kansas City Chiefs
set the record for fewest interceptions in a 16-game season
with 4. His record was matched in 2010 by a quarterback who's
still active, now in his 17th season. Name either.

4. Standing only 5'6" (167 cm), this former Edmonton Eskimo set
over 20 CFL records for punt and kickoff runbacks. He was
known for his touchdown-celebrating backflips. Name him.

5. Atlanta Braves outfielder Nick Markakis holds the record for
*not* doing something. His record streak of 398 games finally
came to an end on June 25, 2015. What record does Markakis hold?

6. Tommy Burns was not only the only Canadian-born holder ever
of this international title, he was also the shortest holder
ever, at 5'7" (170 cm). What title did Burns hold from 1906
to 1908? Be sufficiently specific.

7. In the 2000 British Open, Tiger Woods finished at 19 under par,
a record for a major. The record stood until 2015, when the
PGA winner managed 20 under. That record was matched this
year by the winner of the British Open. Name either of the
current record-holders.

8. This great goalie of the 1920s and 1930s played for the
Canadiens and the Leafs. In his best season, playing as a
Canadien, he recorded a 0.92 goals-against average, allowing
43 goals in 44 games, 22 of them shutouts. Name him.

9. The 1969 Minnesota Vikings set a then-record for stingiest
all-time defense, allowing an average of only 9.5 points
per game. Yet they still managed to lose the Super Bowl 23-7
to Kansas City. By what *nickname* was the Minnesota Viking
defense known?

10. 1968 was known as "the year of the pitcher". The National
League MVP was a right-hander for the St. Louis Cardinals
who finished the season with an all-time low ERA of 1.12.
The lowest ERA in the American League, 1.60, was recorded by
a cigar-smoking Cuban pitcher for Cleveland who held opposing
hitters to a Major League record-low batting average of .168.
Name either pitcher.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "This is what customers do: they invent everything
m...@vex.net | you haven't thought of." -- David Slocombe

Peter Smyth

Jan 28, 2017, 5:18:27 AM1/28/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Geography - Geographical & Cartographical Terms
>
> We provide the definition; you name the term being defined.
>
> 1. A figure on a map, nautical chart, or monument used to
> display the orientation of the four cardinal directions and
> their intermediate points.
Compass Rose
> 2. An elevated area of land with a flat top and steep or precipitous
> sides, named from the Spanish for "table".
Mesa
> 3. Parallel-ish lines used on topographic maps to show the shape
> and elevation of the land. They connect points of equal
> elevation.
Contours
> 4. A steep slope or long cliff that forms as an effect of faulting
> or erosion and which separates two relatively level areas of
> differing elevations.
Rift
> 5. An accumulation of glacial debris composed of soil and rock.
> Formed when glaciers drop off this material. Types include
> lateral, terminal, and medial.
>
> 6. The mass of rocks and finely ground material carried by a
> glacier, then deposited when the ice melts. This material
> is what <answer 5>s are formed from.
>
> 7. An area of diminished precipitation on the lee side of a mountain
> or mountain range.
>
> 8. The elevation above which snow and ice cover the ground
> throughout the year.
>
> 9. The level below the land surface at which the subsurface material
> is fully saturated with water.
Water Table
> 10. The broad lower course of a river that is encroached on by
> the sea and affected by the tides.
Delta

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Sports - Less is More
>
> Often in sports, "less" means being on the losing side of the score
> sheet. But in these questions, "less" is more.
>
> 1. Muggsy Bogues was the shortest man ever to play in the NBA.
> Nevertheless, he was a regular for 14 years, and was credited
> with 39 shot-blocks during his career, including one on 7' tall
> Patrick Ewing. In feet and inches, within 1 inch, how tall
> was Muggsy?
5ft 7in, 5ft 10 in
> 2. In soccer history, three goalkeepers share the record for
> allowing the fewest goals in a World Cup Tournament, at 2.
> Their teams all went on to win the championship. Name any
> one of them -- the Italian, the Frenchman, or the Spaniard.
Fabien Barthez
> 3. In 1990, a journeyman quarterback for the Kansas City Chiefs
> set the record for fewest interceptions in a 16-game season
> with 4. His record was matched in 2010 by a quarterback who's
> still active, now in his 17th season. Name either.
Tom Brady (there is no ROT13 message so it can't be Manning!)
> 4. Standing only 5'6" (167 cm), this former Edmonton Eskimo set
> over 20 CFL records for punt and kickoff runbacks. He was
> known for his touchdown-celebrating backflips. Name him.
>
> 5. Atlanta Braves outfielder Nick Markakis holds the record for
> not doing something. His record streak of 398 games finally
> came to an end on June 25, 2015. What record does Markakis hold?
Not hitting a home run
Not stealing a base
> 6. Tommy Burns was not only the only Canadian-born holder ever
> of this international title, he was also the shortest holder
> ever, at 5'7" (170 cm). What title did Burns hold from 1906
> to 1908? Be sufficiently specific.
World Heavyweight Boxing Champion
> 7. In the 2000 British Open, Tiger Woods finished at 19 under par,
> a record for a major. The record stood until 2015, when the
> PGA winner managed 20 under. That record was matched this
> year by the winner of the British Open. Name either of the
> current record-holders.
Spieth
> 8. This great goalie of the 1920s and 1930s played for the
> Canadiens and the Leafs. In his best season, playing as a
> Canadien, he recorded a 0.92 goals-against average, allowing
> 43 goals in 44 games, 22 of them shutouts. Name him.
>
> 9. The 1969 Minnesota Vikings set a then-record for stingiest
> all-time defense, allowing an average of only 9.5 points
> per game. Yet they still managed to lose the Super Bowl 23-7
> to Kansas City. By what nickname was the Minnesota Viking
> defense known?
>
> 10. 1968 was known as "the year of the pitcher". The National
> League MVP was a right-hander for the St. Louis Cardinals
> who finished the season with an all-time low ERA of 1.12.
> The lowest ERA in the American League, 1.60, was recorded by
> a cigar-smoking Cuban pitcher for Cleveland who held opposing
> hitters to a Major League record-low batting average of .168.
> Name either pitcher.
Koufax

Peter Smyth

Don Piven

Jan 28, 2017, 7:14:19 AM1/28/17
On 1/27/17 23:32, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-31,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Geography - Geographical & Cartographical Terms
>
> We provide the definition; you name the term being defined.
>
> 1. A figure on a map, nautical chart, or monument used to
> display the orientation of the four cardinal directions and
> their intermediate points.

Compass rose.

> 2. An elevated area of land with a flat top and steep or precipitous
> sides, named from the Spanish for "table".

Mesa.

> 3. Parallel-ish lines used on topographic maps to show the shape
> and elevation of the land. They connect points of equal
> elevation.

Contour lines.

> 4. A steep slope or long cliff that forms as an effect of faulting
> or erosion and which separates two relatively level areas of
> differing elevations.

Escarpment.

> 5. An accumulation of glacial debris composed of soil and rock.
> Formed when glaciers drop off this material. Types include
> lateral, terminal, and medial.

Moraine.

> 6. The mass of rocks and finely ground material carried by a
> glacier, then deposited when the ice melts. This material
> is what <answer 5>s are formed from.

Till.

> 7. An area of diminished precipitation on the lee side of a mountain
> or mountain range.

Rain shadow.

> 8. The elevation above which snow and ice cover the ground
> throughout the year.
>
> 9. The level below the land surface at which the subsurface material
> is fully saturated with water.

Water table.

> 10. The broad lower course of a river that is encroached on by
> the sea and affected by the tides.

Estuary.

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Sports - Less is More
>
> Often in sports, "less" means being on the losing side of the score
> sheet. But in these questions, "less" is more.
>
> 1. Muggsy Bogues was the shortest man ever to play in the NBA.
> Nevertheless, he was a regular for 14 years, and was credited
> with 39 shot-blocks during his career, including one on 7' tall
> Patrick Ewing. In feet and inches, within 1 inch, how tall
> was Muggsy?

5-5

> 2. In soccer history, three goalkeepers share the record for
> allowing the fewest goals in a World Cup Tournament, at 2.
> Their teams all went on to win the championship. Name any
> one of them -- the Italian, the Frenchman, or the Spaniard.

> 3. In 1990, a journeyman quarterback for the Kansas City Chiefs
> set the record for fewest interceptions in a 16-game season
> with 4. His record was matched in 2010 by a quarterback who's
> still active, now in his 17th season. Name either.

Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger

> 4. Standing only 5'6" (167 cm), this former Edmonton Eskimo set
> over 20 CFL records for punt and kickoff runbacks. He was
> known for his touchdown-celebrating backflips. Name him.

> 5. Atlanta Braves outfielder Nick Markakis holds the record for
> *not* doing something. His record streak of 398 games finally
> came to an end on June 25, 2015. What record does Markakis hold?

Not committing a fielding error.

> 6. Tommy Burns was not only the only Canadian-born holder ever
> of this international title, he was also the shortest holder
> ever, at 5'7" (170 cm). What title did Burns hold from 1906
> to 1908? Be sufficiently specific.
>
> 7. In the 2000 British Open, Tiger Woods finished at 19 under par,
> a record for a major. The record stood until 2015, when the
> PGA winner managed 20 under. That record was matched this
> year by the winner of the British Open. Name either of the
> current record-holders.
>
> 8. This great goalie of the 1920s and 1930s played for the
> Canadiens and the Leafs. In his best season, playing as a
> Canadien, he recorded a 0.92 goals-against average, allowing
> 43 goals in 44 games, 22 of them shutouts. Name him.
>
> 9. The 1969 Minnesota Vikings set a then-record for stingiest
> all-time defense, allowing an average of only 9.5 points
> per game. Yet they still managed to lose the Super Bowl 23-7
> to Kansas City. By what *nickname* was the Minnesota Viking
> defense known?

The Purple People Eaters.

> 10. 1968 was known as "the year of the pitcher". The National
> League MVP was a right-hander for the St. Louis Cardinals
> who finished the season with an all-time low ERA of 1.12.
> The lowest ERA in the American League, 1.60, was recorded by
> a cigar-smoking Cuban pitcher for Cleveland who held opposing
> hitters to a Major League record-low batting average of .168.
> Name either pitcher.

Bob Gibson.

Mark Brader

Jan 28, 2017, 7:26:08 AM1/28/17
Peter Smyth:
> (there is no ROT13 message so it can't be Manning!)

I'd be careful about those negative inferences if I were you!
--
Mark Brader "I am taking what you write in the spirit in
Toronto which it is intended. That's the problem."

Dan Blum

Jan 28, 2017, 11:13:24 AM1/28/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Geography - Geographical & Cartographical Terms

> 1. A figure on a map, nautical chart, or monument used to
> display the orientation of the four cardinal directions and
> their intermediate points.

compass rose

> 2. An elevated area of land with a flat top and steep or precipitous
> sides, named from the Spanish for "table".

mesa

> 3. Parallel-ish lines used on topographic maps to show the shape
> and elevation of the land. They connect points of equal
> elevation.

contour lines

> 4. A steep slope or long cliff that forms as an effect of faulting
> or erosion and which separates two relatively level areas of
> differing elevations.

bluff

> 6. The mass of rocks and finely ground material carried by a
> glacier, then deposited when the ice melts. This material
> is what <answer 5>s are formed from.

scree

> 7. An area of diminished precipitation on the lee side of a mountain
> or mountain range.

rain shadow

> 8. The elevation above which snow and ice cover the ground
> throughout the year.

snow line; frost line

> 9. The level below the land surface at which the subsurface material
> is fully saturated with water.

water table

> 10. The broad lower course of a river that is encroached on by
> the sea and affected by the tides.

delta

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Sports - Less is More

> 1. Muggsy Bogues was the shortest man ever to play in the NBA.
> Nevertheless, he was a regular for 14 years, and was credited
> with 39 shot-blocks during his career, including one on 7' tall
> Patrick Ewing. In feet and inches, within 1 inch, how tall
> was Muggsy?

5' 5"

> 5. Atlanta Braves outfielder Nick Markakis holds the record for
> *not* doing something. His record streak of 398 games finally
> came to an end on June 25, 2015. What record does Markakis hold?

not committing an error; not getting walked

> 6. Tommy Burns was not only the only Canadian-born holder ever
> of this international title, he was also the shortest holder
> ever, at 5'7" (170 cm). What title did Burns hold from 1906
> to 1908? Be sufficiently specific.

heavyweight boxing champion

> 9. The 1969 Minnesota Vikings set a then-record for stingiest
> all-time defense, allowing an average of only 9.5 points
> per game. Yet they still managed to lose the Super Bowl 23-7
> to Kansas City. By what *nickname* was the Minnesota Viking
> defense known?

Purple Wall; Purple Haze

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Jan 28, 2017, 12:43:16 PM1/28/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:6e-dnWnLa5xLsRHFnZ2dnUU7-
dvN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Geography - Geographical & Cartographical Terms
>
> We provide the definition; you name the term being defined.
>
> 1. A figure on a map, nautical chart, or monument used to
> display the orientation of the four cardinal directions and
> their intermediate points.

compass rose

> 2. An elevated area of land with a flat top and steep or precipitous
> sides, named from the Spanish for "table".

mesa

> 6. The mass of rocks and finely ground material carried by a
> glacier, then deposited when the ice melts. This material
> is what <answer 5>s are formed from.

karst

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Sports - Less is More
>
> Often in sports, "less" means being on the losing side of the score
> sheet. But in these questions, "less" is more.
>
> 1. Muggsy Bogues was the shortest man ever to play in the NBA.
> Nevertheless, he was a regular for 14 years, and was credited
> with 39 shot-blocks during his career, including one on 7' tall
> Patrick Ewing. In feet and inches, within 1 inch, how tall
> was Muggsy?

5'3"

> 3. In 1990, a journeyman quarterback for the Kansas City Chiefs
> set the record for fewest interceptions in a 16-game season
> with 4. His record was matched in 2010 by a quarterback who's
> still active, now in his 17th season. Name either.

Tom Brady (?)

> 6. Tommy Burns was not only the only Canadian-born holder ever
> of this international title, he was also the shortest holder
> ever, at 5'7" (170 cm). What title did Burns hold from 1906
> to 1908? Be sufficiently specific.

heavyweight boxing champion

> 9. The 1969 Minnesota Vikings set a then-record for stingiest
> all-time defense, allowing an average of only 9.5 points
> per game. Yet they still managed to lose the Super Bowl 23-7
> to Kansas City. By what *nickname* was the Minnesota Viking
> defense known?

Purple People Eaters

> 10. 1968 was known as "the year of the pitcher". The National
> League MVP was a right-hander for the St. Louis Cardinals
> who finished the season with an all-time low ERA of 1.12.
> The lowest ERA in the American League, 1.60, was recorded by
> a cigar-smoking Cuban pitcher for Cleveland who held opposing
> hitters to a Major League record-low batting average of .168.
> Name either pitcher.

Gibson

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Jan 28, 2017, 7:05:09 PM1/28/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Geography - Geographical & Cartographical Terms
>
> We provide the definition; you name the term being defined.
>
> 1. A figure on a map, nautical chart, or monument used to
> display the orientation of the four cardinal directions and
> their intermediate points.

compass rose

> 2. An elevated area of land with a flat top and steep or precipitous
> sides, named from the Spanish for "table".

mesa

> 3. Parallel-ish lines used on topographic maps to show the shape
> and elevation of the land. They connect points of equal
> elevation.

contour lines

> 4. A steep slope or long cliff that forms as an effect of faulting
> or erosion and which separates two relatively level areas of
> differing elevations.

escarpment

> 5. An accumulation of glacial debris composed of soil and rock.
> Formed when glaciers drop off this material. Types include
> lateral, terminal, and medial.

moraine

> 6. The mass of rocks and finely ground material carried by a
> glacier, then deposited when the ice melts. This material
> is what <answer 5>s are formed from.

drift

> 7. An area of diminished precipitation on the lee side of a mountain
> or mountain range.

rain shadow

> 8. The elevation above which snow and ice cover the ground
> throughout the year.

snow line

> 9. The level below the land surface at which the subsurface material
> is fully saturated with water.

water table

> 10. The broad lower course of a river that is encroached on by
> the sea and affected by the tides.

estuary

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Sports - Less is More
>
> Often in sports, "less" means being on the losing side of the score
> sheet. But in these questions, "less" is more.
>
> 1. Muggsy Bogues was the shortest man ever to play in the NBA.
> Nevertheless, he was a regular for 14 years, and was credited
> with 39 shot-blocks during his career, including one on 7' tall
> Patrick Ewing. In feet and inches, within 1 inch, how tall
> was Muggsy?

5' 8"

> 2. In soccer history, three goalkeepers share the record for
> allowing the fewest goals in a World Cup Tournament, at 2.
> Their teams all went on to win the championship. Name any
> one of them -- the Italian, the Frenchman, or the Spaniard.
>
> 3. In 1990, a journeyman quarterback for the Kansas City Chiefs
> set the record for fewest interceptions in a 16-game season
> with 4. His record was matched in 2010 by a quarterback who's
> still active, now in his 17th season. Name either.

Tom Brady

> 4. Standing only 5'6" (167 cm), this former Edmonton Eskimo set
> over 20 CFL records for punt and kickoff runbacks. He was
> known for his touchdown-celebrating backflips. Name him.
>
> 5. Atlanta Braves outfielder Nick Markakis holds the record for
> *not* doing something. His record streak of 398 games finally
> came to an end on June 25, 2015. What record does Markakis hold?

longest error-free streak

> 6. Tommy Burns was not only the only Canadian-born holder ever
> of this international title, he was also the shortest holder
> ever, at 5'7" (170 cm). What title did Burns hold from 1906
> to 1908? Be sufficiently specific.

high jump

> 7. In the 2000 British Open, Tiger Woods finished at 19 under par,
> a record for a major. The record stood until 2015, when the
> PGA winner managed 20 under. That record was matched this
> year by the winner of the British Open. Name either of the
> current record-holders.

McIlroy

> 8. This great goalie of the 1920s and 1930s played for the
> Canadiens and the Leafs. In his best season, playing as a
> Canadien, he recorded a 0.92 goals-against average, allowing
> 43 goals in 44 games, 22 of them shutouts. Name him.
>
> 9. The 1969 Minnesota Vikings set a then-record for stingiest
> all-time defense, allowing an average of only 9.5 points
> per game. Yet they still managed to lose the Super Bowl 23-7
> to Kansas City. By what *nickname* was the Minnesota Viking
> defense known?

Purple People Eaters

> 10. 1968 was known as "the year of the pitcher". The National
> League MVP was a right-hander for the St. Louis Cardinals
> who finished the season with an all-time low ERA of 1.12.
> The lowest ERA in the American League, 1.60, was recorded by
> a cigar-smoking Cuban pitcher for Cleveland who held opposing
> hitters to a Major League record-low batting average of .168.
> Name either pitcher.

Vida Blue

--
Dan Tilque

Marc Dashevsky

Jan 28, 2017, 10:07:42 PM1/28/17
In article <6e-dnWnLa5xLsRHF...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 6, Round 2 - Geography - Geographical & Cartographical Terms
>
> We provide the definition; you name the term being defined.
>
> 1. A figure on a map, nautical chart, or monument used to
> display the orientation of the four cardinal directions and
> their intermediate points.
compass

> 2. An elevated area of land with a flat top and steep or precipitous
> sides, named from the Spanish for "table".
mesa

> 3. Parallel-ish lines used on topographic maps to show the shape
> and elevation of the land. They connect points of equal
> elevation.
contours

> 4. A steep slope or long cliff that forms as an effect of faulting
> or erosion and which separates two relatively level areas of
> differing elevations.
>
> 5. An accumulation of glacial debris composed of soil and rock.
> Formed when glaciers drop off this material. Types include
> lateral, terminal, and medial.
moraine

> 6. The mass of rocks and finely ground material carried by a
> glacier, then deposited when the ice melts. This material
> is what <answer 5>s are formed from.
glacial till

> 7. An area of diminished precipitation on the lee side of a mountain
> or mountain range.
rain shadow effect

> 8. The elevation above which snow and ice cover the ground
> throughout the year.
snow line

> 9. The level below the land surface at which the subsurface material
> is fully saturated with water.
ater table

> 10. The broad lower course of a river that is encroached on by
> the sea and affected by the tides.
basin

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Sports - Less is More
>
> Often in sports, "less" means being on the losing side of the score
> sheet. But in these questions, "less" is more.
>
> 1. Muggsy Bogues was the shortest man ever to play in the NBA.
> Nevertheless, he was a regular for 14 years, and was credited
> with 39 shot-blocks during his career, including one on 7' tall
> Patrick Ewing. In feet and inches, within 1 inch, how tall
> was Muggsy?
5'4"

> 2. In soccer history, three goalkeepers share the record for
> allowing the fewest goals in a World Cup Tournament, at 2.
> Their teams all went on to win the championship. Name any
> one of them -- the Italian, the Frenchman, or the Spaniard.
>
> 3. In 1990, a journeyman quarterback for the Kansas City Chiefs
> set the record for fewest interceptions in a 16-game season
> with 4. His record was matched in 2010 by a quarterback who's
> still active, now in his 17th season. Name either.
>
> 4. Standing only 5'6" (167 cm), this former Edmonton Eskimo set
> over 20 CFL records for punt and kickoff runbacks. He was
> known for his touchdown-celebrating backflips. Name him.
>
> 5. Atlanta Braves outfielder Nick Markakis holds the record for
> *not* doing something. His record streak of 398 games finally
> came to an end on June 25, 2015. What record does Markakis hold?
errorless streak

> 6. Tommy Burns was not only the only Canadian-born holder ever
> of this international title, he was also the shortest holder
> ever, at 5'7" (170 cm). What title did Burns hold from 1906
> to 1908? Be sufficiently specific.
>
> 7. In the 2000 British Open, Tiger Woods finished at 19 under par,
> a record for a major. The record stood until 2015, when the
> PGA winner managed 20 under. That record was matched this
> year by the winner of the British Open. Name either of the
> current record-holders.
>
> 8. This great goalie of the 1920s and 1930s played for the
> Canadiens and the Leafs. In his best season, playing as a
> Canadien, he recorded a 0.92 goals-against average, allowing
> 43 goals in 44 games, 22 of them shutouts. Name him.
>
> 9. The 1969 Minnesota Vikings set a then-record for stingiest
> all-time defense, allowing an average of only 9.5 points
> per game. Yet they still managed to lose the Super Bowl 23-7
> to Kansas City. By what *nickname* was the Minnesota Viking
> defense known?
purple people eaters

> 10. 1968 was known as "the year of the pitcher". The National
> League MVP was a right-hander for the St. Louis Cardinals
> who finished the season with an all-time low ERA of 1.12.
> The lowest ERA in the American League, 1.60, was recorded by
> a cigar-smoking Cuban pitcher for Cleveland who held opposing
> hitters to a Major League record-low batting average of .168.
> Name either pitcher.
Luis Tiant

Marc Dashevsky

Jan 28, 2017, 10:13:21 PM1/28/17
In article <MPG.32f7187...@news.eternal-september.org>, use...@MarcDashevsky.com says...
I'm missing the W key cap on my keyboard. Be assured I intended the anser to be water table.

Mark Brader

Jan 29, 2017, 12:00:04 AM1/29/17
Mark Brader posted:
>>> 9. The level below the land surface at which the subsurface material
>>> is fully saturated with water.

Marc Dashevsky rites:
>> ater table

> I'm missing the W key cap on my keyboard. Be assured I intended the
> anser to be water table.

I ould think I as going to ork that out anyay, but you never kno.
Thanks.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "But I do't have a '' key o my termial."
m...@vex.net -- Lynn Gold

Gareth Owen

Jan 29, 2017, 1:45:39 AM1/29/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 1. A figure on a map, nautical chart, or monument used to
> display the orientation of the four cardinal directions and
> their intermediate points.
>
> 2. An elevated area of land with a flat top and steep or precipitous
> sides, named from the Spanish for "table".

Plateau

> 3. Parallel-ish lines used on topographic maps to show the shape
> and elevation of the land. They connect points of equal
> elevation.

Contour lines

> 4. A steep slope or long cliff that forms as an effect of faulting
> or erosion and which separates two relatively level areas of
> differing elevations.

Scree

> 5. An accumulation of glacial debris composed of soil and rock.
> Formed when glaciers drop off this material. Types include
> lateral, terminal, and medial.

Moraine

> 6. The mass of rocks and finely ground material carried by a
> glacier, then deposited when the ice melts. This material
> is what <answer 5>s are formed from.

Till

> 7. An area of diminished precipitation on the lee side of a mountain
> or mountain range.

Rain Shadow

> 8. The elevation above which snow and ice cover the ground
> throughout the year.

Snow Line

> 9. The level below the land surface at which the subsurface material
> is fully saturated with water.

Water Table

> 10. The broad lower course of a river that is encroached on by
> the sea and affected by the tides.

Estuary

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Sports - Less is More
>
> Often in sports, "less" means being on the losing side of the score
> sheet. But in these questions, "less" is more.
>
> 1. Muggsy Bogues was the shortest man ever to play in the NBA.
> Nevertheless, he was a regular for 14 years, and was credited
> with 39 shot-blocks during his career, including one on 7' tall
> Patrick Ewing. In feet and inches, within 1 inch, how tall
> was Muggsy?

5'4"

> 2. In soccer history, three goalkeepers share the record for
> allowing the fewest goals in a World Cup Tournament, at 2.
> Their teams all went on to win the championship. Name any
> one of them -- the Italian, the Frenchman, or the Spaniard.

Dino Zoff, Buffon

> 3. In 1990, a journeyman quarterback for the Kansas City Chiefs
> set the record for fewest interceptions in a 16-game season
> with 4. His record was matched in 2010 by a quarterback who's
> still active, now in his 17th season. Name either.

Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady

> 4. Standing only 5'6" (167 cm), this former Edmonton Eskimo set
> over 20 CFL records for punt and kickoff runbacks. He was
> known for his touchdown-celebrating backflips. Name him.

Nope

> 5. Atlanta Braves outfielder Nick Markakis holds the record for
> *not* doing something. His record streak of 398 games finally
> came to an end on June 25, 2015. What record does Markakis hold?

Errorless streak, Zero Home Run

> 6. Tommy Burns was not only the only Canadian-born holder ever
> of this international title, he was also the shortest holder
> ever, at 5'7" (170 cm). What title did Burns hold from 1906
> to 1908? Be sufficiently specific.

World Heavyweight Boxing Champion

> 7. In the 2000 British Open, Tiger Woods finished at 19 under par,
> a record for a major. The record stood until 2015, when the
> PGA winner managed 20 under. That record was matched this
> year by the winner of the British Open. Name either of the
> current record-holders.

Jordan Speith, Rory McIlroy

> 8. This great goalie of the 1920s and 1930s played for the
> Canadiens and the Leafs. In his best season, playing as a
> Canadien, he recorded a 0.92 goals-against average, allowing
> 43 goals in 44 games, 22 of them shutouts. Name him.

Gump Worsley

> 9. The 1969 Minnesota Vikings set a then-record for stingiest
> all-time defense, allowing an average of only 9.5 points
> per game. Yet they still managed to lose the Super Bowl 23-7
> to Kansas City. By what *nickname* was the Minnesota Viking
> defense known?

The Purple People Eaters

> 10. 1968 was known as "the year of the pitcher". The National
> League MVP was a right-hander for the St. Louis Cardinals
> who finished the season with an all-time low ERA of 1.12.
> The lowest ERA in the American League, 1.60, was recorded by
> a cigar-smoking Cuban pitcher for Cleveland who held opposing
> hitters to a Major League record-low batting average of .168.
> Name either pitcher.

Bob Gibson

Jason Kreitzer

Jan 29, 2017, 1:48:19 PM1/29/17
On Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 12:32:12 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-31,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Geography - Geographical & Cartographical Terms
>
> We provide the definition; you name the term being defined.
>
> 1. A figure on a map, nautical chart, or monument used to
> display the orientation of the four cardinal directions and
> their intermediate points.
>
> 2. An elevated area of land with a flat top and steep or precipitous
> sides, named from the Spanish for "table".
Mesa
The Purple People Eaters

Calvin

Jan 29, 2017, 7:14:24 PM1/29/17
On Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 3:32:12 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Geography - Geographical & Cartographical Terms
>
> We provide the definition; you name the term being defined.
>
> 1. A figure on a map, nautical chart, or monument used to
> display the orientation of the four cardinal directions and
> their intermediate points.

I don't know. Compass?

> 2. An elevated area of land with a flat top and steep or precipitous
> sides, named from the Spanish for "table".

Mesa

> 3. Parallel-ish lines used on topographic maps to show the shape
> and elevation of the land. They connect points of equal
> elevation.

Contour lines

> 4. A steep slope or long cliff that forms as an effect of faulting
> or erosion and which separates two relatively level areas of
> differing elevations.

Dividing range, Headland

> 5. An accumulation of glacial debris composed of soil and rock.
> Formed when glaciers drop off this material. Types include
> lateral, terminal, and medial.

Scree

> 6. The mass of rocks and finely ground material carried by a
> glacier, then deposited when the ice melts. This material
> is what <answer 5>s are formed from.

Is that scree then?

> 7. An area of diminished precipitation on the lee side of a mountain
> or mountain range.

Rain shadow

> 8. The elevation above which snow and ice cover the ground
> throughout the year.

Permafrost

> 9. The level below the land surface at which the subsurface material
> is fully saturated with water.

Water table

> 10. The broad lower course of a river that is encroached on by
> the sea and affected by the tides.

Delta?

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Sports - Less is More
>
> Often in sports, "less" means being on the losing side of the score
> sheet. But in these questions, "less" is more.
>
> 1. Muggsy Bogues was the shortest man ever to play in the NBA.
> Nevertheless, he was a regular for 14 years, and was credited
> with 39 shot-blocks during his career, including one on 7' tall
> Patrick Ewing. In feet and inches, within 1 inch, how tall
> was Muggsy?

5 foot 2, 5 foot 4

> 2. In soccer history, three goalkeepers share the record for
> allowing the fewest goals in a World Cup Tournament, at 2.
> Their teams all went on to win the championship. Name any
> one of them -- the Italian, the Frenchman, or the Spaniard.
>
> 3. In 1990, a journeyman quarterback for the Kansas City Chiefs
> set the record for fewest interceptions in a 16-game season
> with 4. His record was matched in 2010 by a quarterback who's
> still active, now in his 17th season. Name either.

Manning, Favre

> 4. Standing only 5'6" (167 cm), this former Edmonton Eskimo set
> over 20 CFL records for punt and kickoff runbacks. He was
> known for his touchdown-celebrating backflips. Name him.
>
> 5. Atlanta Braves outfielder Nick Markakis holds the record for
> *not* doing something. His record streak of 398 games finally
> came to an end on June 25, 2015. What record does Markakis hold?

Making an error?

> 6. Tommy Burns was not only the only Canadian-born holder ever
> of this international title, he was also the shortest holder
> ever, at 5'7" (170 cm). What title did Burns hold from 1906
> to 1908? Be sufficiently specific.

World heavyweight boxing champion

> 7. In the 2000 British Open, Tiger Woods finished at 19 under par,
> a record for a major. The record stood until 2015, when the
> PGA winner managed 20 under. That record was matched this
> year by the winner of the British Open. Name either of the
> current record-holders.

Mickelson, Watson

> 8. This great goalie of the 1920s and 1930s played for the
> Canadiens and the Leafs. In his best season, playing as a
> Canadien, he recorded a 0.92 goals-against average, allowing
> 43 goals in 44 games, 22 of them shutouts. Name him.
>
> 9. The 1969 Minnesota Vikings set a then-record for stingiest
> all-time defense, allowing an average of only 9.5 points
> per game. Yet they still managed to lose the Super Bowl 23-7
> to Kansas City. By what *nickname* was the Minnesota Viking
> defense known?

Purple People Eaters

> 10. 1968 was known as "the year of the pitcher". The National
> League MVP was a right-hander for the St. Louis Cardinals
> who finished the season with an all-time low ERA of 1.12.
> The lowest ERA in the American League, 1.60, was recorded by
> a cigar-smoking Cuban pitcher for Cleveland who held opposing
> hitters to a Major League record-low batting average of .168.
> Name either pitcher.

Kofax?

cheers,
calvin

bbowler

Jan 30, 2017, 9:25:28 AM1/30/17
On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 23:32:06 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-31, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been
> retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2016-11-26
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Geography - Geographical & Cartographical Terms
>
> We provide the definition; you name the term being defined.
>
> 1. A figure on a map, nautical chart, or monument used to
> display the orientation of the four cardinal directions and their
> intermediate points.

Compass Rose

> 2. An elevated area of land with a flat top and steep or precipitous
> sides, named from the Spanish for "table".

Mesa

> 3. Parallel-ish lines used on topographic maps to show the shape
> and elevation of the land. They connect points of equal elevation.

Contour lines

> 4. A steep slope or long cliff that forms as an effect of faulting
> or erosion and which separates two relatively level areas of
> differing elevations.

Escarpment

> 5. An accumulation of glacial debris composed of soil and rock.
> Formed when glaciers drop off this material. Types include lateral,
> terminal, and medial.

Drumlins

> 6. The mass of rocks and finely ground material carried by a
> glacier, then deposited when the ice melts. This material is what
> <answer 5>s are formed from.

Till

> 7. An area of diminished precipitation on the lee side of a mountain
> or mountain range.

rain shadow

> 8. The elevation above which snow and ice cover the ground
> throughout the year.

snow line

> 9. The level below the land surface at which the subsurface material
> is fully saturated with water.

Water table

> 10. The broad lower course of a river that is encroached on by
> the sea and affected by the tides.

Estuary

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Sports - Less is More
>
> Often in sports, "less" means being on the losing side of the score
> sheet. But in these questions, "less" is more.
>
> 1. Muggsy Bogues was the shortest man ever to play in the NBA.
> Nevertheless, he was a regular for 14 years, and was credited with 39
> shot-blocks during his career, including one on 7' tall Patrick
> Ewing. In feet and inches, within 1 inch, how tall was Muggsy?

5' 7"

> 2. In soccer history, three goalkeepers share the record for
> allowing the fewest goals in a World Cup Tournament, at 2.
> Their teams all went on to win the championship. Name any one of
> them -- the Italian, the Frenchman, or the Spaniard.
>
> 3. In 1990, a journeyman quarterback for the Kansas City Chiefs
> set the record for fewest interceptions in a 16-game season with 4.
> His record was matched in 2010 by a quarterback who's still active,
> now in his 17th season. Name either.

Tom Brady

> 4. Standing only 5'6" (167 cm), this former Edmonton Eskimo set
> over 20 CFL records for punt and kickoff runbacks. He was known for
> his touchdown-celebrating backflips. Name him.
>
> 5. Atlanta Braves outfielder Nick Markakis holds the record for
> *not* doing something. His record streak of 398 games finally came
> to an end on June 25, 2015. What record does Markakis hold?

Didn't commit an error

> 6. Tommy Burns was not only the only Canadian-born holder ever
> of this international title, he was also the shortest holder ever, at
> 5'7" (170 cm). What title did Burns hold from 1906 to 1908? Be
> sufficiently specific.
>
> 7. In the 2000 British Open, Tiger Woods finished at 19 under par,
> a record for a major. The record stood until 2015, when the PGA
> winner managed 20 under. That record was matched this year by the
> winner of the British Open. Name either of the current
> record-holders.
>
> 8. This great goalie of the 1920s and 1930s played for the
> Canadiens and the Leafs. In his best season, playing as a Canadien,
> he recorded a 0.92 goals-against average, allowing 43 goals in 44
> games, 22 of them shutouts. Name him.
>
> 9. The 1969 Minnesota Vikings set a then-record for stingiest
> all-time defense, allowing an average of only 9.5 points per game.
> Yet they still managed to lose the Super Bowl 23-7 to Kansas City.
> By what *nickname* was the Minnesota Viking defense known?

Purple People Eaters

Pete

Jan 30, 2017, 12:43:14 PM1/30/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:6e-dnWnLa5xLsRHFnZ2dnUU7-
dvN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-31,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Geography - Geographical & Cartographical Terms
>
> We provide the definition; you name the term being defined.
>
> 1. A figure on a map, nautical chart, or monument used to
> display the orientation of the four cardinal directions and
> their intermediate points.
>
> 2. An elevated area of land with a flat top and steep or precipitous
> sides, named from the Spanish for "table".

Mesa

> 3. Parallel-ish lines used on topographic maps to show the shape
> and elevation of the land. They connect points of equal
> elevation.

Topographic lines

> 4. A steep slope or long cliff that forms as an effect of faulting
> or erosion and which separates two relatively level areas of
> differing elevations.
>
> 5. An accumulation of glacial debris composed of soil and rock.
> Formed when glaciers drop off this material. Types include
> lateral, terminal, and medial.

Moraine

> 6. The mass of rocks and finely ground material carried by a
> glacier, then deposited when the ice melts. This material
> is what <answer 5>s are formed from.

Slurry

> 7. An area of diminished precipitation on the lee side of a mountain
> or mountain range.
>
> 8. The elevation above which snow and ice cover the ground
> throughout the year.
>
> 9. The level below the land surface at which the subsurface material
> is fully saturated with water.

Water table

> 10. The broad lower course of a river that is encroached on by
> the sea and affected by the tides.

Delta

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Sports - Less is More
>
> Often in sports, "less" means being on the losing side of the score
> sheet. But in these questions, "less" is more.
>
> 1. Muggsy Bogues was the shortest man ever to play in the NBA.
> Nevertheless, he was a regular for 14 years, and was credited
> with 39 shot-blocks during his career, including one on 7' tall
> Patrick Ewing. In feet and inches, within 1 inch, how tall
> was Muggsy?

5 feet 1 inch; 5 feet 4 inches

> 2. In soccer history, three goalkeepers share the record for
> allowing the fewest goals in a World Cup Tournament, at 2.
> Their teams all went on to win the championship. Name any
> one of them -- the Italian, the Frenchman, or the Spaniard.

Buffon

> 3. In 1990, a journeyman quarterback for the Kansas City Chiefs
> set the record for fewest interceptions in a 16-game season
> with 4. His record was matched in 2010 by a quarterback who's
> still active, now in his 17th season. Name either.

Brady

> 4. Standing only 5'6" (167 cm), this former Edmonton Eskimo set
> over 20 CFL records for punt and kickoff runbacks. He was
> known for his touchdown-celebrating backflips. Name him.
>
> 5. Atlanta Braves outfielder Nick Markakis holds the record for
> *not* doing something. His record streak of 398 games finally
> came to an end on June 25, 2015. What record does Markakis hold?

Not committing an error

> 6. Tommy Burns was not only the only Canadian-born holder ever
> of this international title, he was also the shortest holder
> ever, at 5'7" (170 cm). What title did Burns hold from 1906
> to 1908? Be sufficiently specific.

High jump

> 7. In the 2000 British Open, Tiger Woods finished at 19 under par,
> a record for a major. The record stood until 2015, when the
> PGA winner managed 20 under. That record was matched this
> year by the winner of the British Open. Name either of the
> current record-holders.

Johnson

> 8. This great goalie of the 1920s and 1930s played for the
> Canadiens and the Leafs. In his best season, playing as a
> Canadien, he recorded a 0.92 goals-against average, allowing
> 43 goals in 44 games, 22 of them shutouts. Name him.

Vezina

> 9. The 1969 Minnesota Vikings set a then-record for stingiest
> all-time defense, allowing an average of only 9.5 points
> per game. Yet they still managed to lose the Super Bowl 23-7
> to Kansas City. By what *nickname* was the Minnesota Viking
> defense known?

Purple People Eaters

> 10. 1968 was known as "the year of the pitcher". The National
> League MVP was a right-hander for the St. Louis Cardinals
> who finished the season with an all-time low ERA of 1.12.
> The lowest ERA in the American League, 1.60, was recorded by
> a cigar-smoking Cuban pitcher for Cleveland who held opposing
> hitters to a Major League record-low batting average of .168.
> Name either pitcher.

Bob Gibson

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Feb 1, 2017, 1:36:58 AM2/1/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-31,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.... I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.

Well, 4 is about 3, right? Right? Okay, 3 points for me. :-)

> For further information see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on
> "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Geography - Geographical & Cartographical Terms

> We provide the definition; you name the term being defined.

> 1. A figure on a map, nautical chart, or monument used to
> display the orientation of the four cardinal directions and
> their intermediate points.

Compass rose. 4 for Peter, Don, Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
and Bruce.

> 2. An elevated area of land with a flat top and steep or precipitous
> sides, named from the Spanish for "table".

Mesa. 4 for Peter, Don, Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Marc, Jason,
Calvin, Bruce, and Pete.

> 3. Parallel-ish lines used on topographic maps to show the shape
> and elevation of the land. They connect points of equal
> elevation.

Contour lines or isometric lines. 4 for Peter, Don, Dan Blum,
Dan Tilque, Marc, Gareth, Calvin, and Bruce.

> 4. A steep slope or long cliff that forms as an effect of faulting
> or erosion and which separates two relatively level areas of
> differing elevations.

Escarpment or scarp. 4 for Don, Dan Tilque, and Bruce.

> 5. An accumulation of glacial debris composed of soil and rock.
> Formed when glaciers drop off this material. Types include
> lateral, terminal, and medial.

Moraine. 4 for Don, Dan Tilque, Marc, Gareth, and Pete.

> 6. The mass of rocks and finely ground material carried by a
> glacier, then deposited when the ice melts. This material
> is what <answer 5>s are formed from.

Till. 4 for Don, Marc, Gareth, and Bruce.

> 7. An area of diminished precipitation on the lee side of a mountain
> or mountain range.

Rain shadow. 4 for Don, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Marc, Gareth, Calvin,
and Bruce.

> 8. The elevation above which snow and ice cover the ground
> throughout the year.

Snow line. 4 for Dan Tilque, Marc, Gareth, and Bruce. 3 for
Dan Blum.

> 9. The level below the land surface at which the subsurface material
> is fully saturated with water.

Water table. 4 for Peter, Don, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Marc, Gareth,
Calvin, Bruce, and Pete.

> 10. The broad lower course of a river that is encroached on by
> the sea and affected by the tides.

Estuary. 4 for Don, Dan Tilque, Gareth, and Bruce.

"Delta" was a popular wrong answer; a delta ia characterized by
the river being divided into channels by islands formed from its
own sediment, not directly by the effect of tides on the river.

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Sports - Less is More

> Often in sports, "less" means being on the losing side of the score
> sheet. But in these questions, "less" is more.

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. Muggsy Bogues was the shortest man ever to play in the NBA.
> Nevertheless, he was a regular for 14 years, and was credited
> with 39 shot-blocks during his career, including one on 7' tall
> Patrick Ewing. In feet and inches, within 1 inch, how tall
> was Muggsy?

5'3" (that's 160 cm; accepting 5'2" to 5'4"). 4 for Joshua, Marc,
Gareth, and Calvin (the hard way). 2 for Pete.

> 2. In soccer history, three goalkeepers share the record for
> allowing the fewest goals in a World Cup Tournament, at 2.
> Their teams all went on to win the championship. Name any
> one of them -- the Italian, the Frenchman, or the Spaniard.

Gianluigi Buffon, Fabien Barthez, Iker Casillas (respectively).
4 for Peter and Pete. 2 for Gareth.

> 3. In 1990, a journeyman quarterback for the Kansas City Chiefs
> set the record for fewest interceptions in a 16-game season
> with 4. His record was matched in 2010 by a quarterback who's
> still active, now in his 17th season. Name either.

Steve deBerg, Tom Brady. 4 for Peter, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Bruce,
and Pete. 3 for Don. 2 for Gareth.

> 4. Standing only 5'6" (167 cm), this former Edmonton Eskimo set
> over 20 CFL records for punt and kickoff runbacks. He was
> known for his touchdown-celebrating backflips. Name him.

Henry "Gizmo" Williams.

> 5. Atlanta Braves outfielder Nick Markakis holds the record for
> *not* doing something. His record streak of 398 games finally
> came to an end on June 25, 2015. What record does Markakis hold?

Most consecutive games with no errors. I accepted "making an error"
since the rest of the answer was in the question. 4 for Don,
Dan Tilque, Marc, Calvin, Bruce, and Pete. 2 for Dan Blum and Gareth.

> 6. Tommy Burns was not only the only Canadian-born holder ever
> of this international title, he was also the shortest holder
> ever, at 5'7" (170 cm). What title did Burns hold from 1906
> to 1908? Be sufficiently specific.

World heavyweight boxing champion. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Joshua,
Gareth, and Calvin.

> 7. In the 2000 British Open, Tiger Woods finished at 19 under par,
> a record for a major. The record stood until 2015, when the
> PGA winner managed 20 under. That record was matched this
> year by the winner of the British Open. Name either of the
> current record-holders.

Jason Day, Henrik Stenson.

> 8. This great goalie of the 1920s and 1930s played for the
> Canadiens and the Leafs. In his best season, playing as a
> Canadien, he recorded a 0.92 goals-against average, allowing
> 43 goals in 44 games, 22 of them shutouts. Name him.

George Hainsworth. He did it in 1928-29; it was a relatively
low-scoring season in the whole league, but then again, Hainsworth
was one of the reasons for that! The following table shows the
total number of NHL games, the total number of toals in all games,
and the average number per team per game for 25 seasons from 1921 to
1946, plus last season, for comparison. (I started in 1921 because
hockey-reference.com doesn't show the total goals per team in the
standings for the four earlier seasons.)

Gam Goa Avg Gam Goa Avg
1921-22 48 380 3.96 1934-35 216 1087 2.52
1922-23 48 313 3.26 1935-36 192 831 2.16
1923-24 48 255 2.66 1936-37 192 946 2.46
1924-25 90 450 2.50 1937-38 192 972 2.53
1925-26 126 581 2.31 1938-39 168 851 2.53
1926-27 220 879 2.00 1939-40 168 838 2.49
1927-28 220 836 1.90 1940-41 168 900 2.68
1928-29 220 642 1.46 1941-42 168 1047 3.12
1929-30 220 1301 2.96 1942-43 150 1083 3.61
1930-31 220 1054 2.40 1943-44 150 1225 4.08
1931-32 192 957 2.49 1944-45 150 1103 3.68
1932-33 216 983 2.28 1945-46 150 1003 3.34
1933-34 216 1041 2.41 2015-16 1230 6672 2.71

> 9. The 1969 Minnesota Vikings set a then-record for stingiest
> all-time defense, allowing an average of only 9.5 points
> per game. Yet they still managed to lose the Super Bowl 23-7
> to Kansas City. By what *nickname* was the Minnesota Viking
> defense known?

The Purple People Eaters. 4 for Don, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Marc,
Gareth, Jason, Calvin, Bruce, and Pete.

> 10. 1968 was known as "the year of the pitcher". The National
> League MVP was a right-hander for the St. Louis Cardinals
> who finished the season with an all-time low ERA of 1.12.
> The lowest ERA in the American League, 1.60, was recorded by
> a cigar-smoking Cuban pitcher for Cleveland who held opposing
> hitters to a Major League record-low batting average of .168.
> Name either pitcher.

Bob Gibson, Luis Tiant. 4 for Don, Joshua, Marc, Gareth, and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Geo Spo
Don Piven 36 15 51
Gareth Owen 28 22 50
Dan Tilque 36 12 48
Bruce Bowler 36 12 48
Marc Dashevsky 28 16 44
Pete Gayde 12 22 34
"Calvin" 16 16 32
Dan Blum 23 6 29
Peter Smyth 16 12 28
Joshua Kreitzer 8 20 28
Jason Kreitzer 4 4 8

--
Mark Brader | "Valjean... serves 19 years for stealing a loaf of bread:
Toronto | a punishment that he regards as unjust, though in fact