QFTCIBP Game 6, Rounds 9-10: devel econ, kids' TV

Mark Brader

Apr 30, 2018, 12:16:22 AM4/30/18
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-02-26,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Game 6, Round 9 - Science - Development Economics

Here is a round on development economics and economists -- a
specialized subfield of the "dismal science".

1. This metric represents the income or wealth distribution
of a nation's residents, and is the most commonly used measure
of inequality. The value 0 expresses perfect equality; a 1 is
maximum inequality. Name the statistic.

2. Although it is frequently misrepresented, this economist proposed
a tax on foreign exchange transactions to cushion exchange-rate
fluctuations. At each exchange of a currency into another, a
small tax would be levied to dissuade speculators. This tax was
intended to help developing or smaller countries have greater
control over their economies without shutting their doors to
trade and international monetary markets. Name the economist.

3. Although used in many economics fields, in the context
of development economics this term refers to the concept that
developing countries may accelerate development by skipping
older, inferior technologies and industries (that are less
efficient, more polluting, etc.) and moving directly to more
advanced ones. Name the term.

4. The Economist publishes this informal index as a way of measuring
purchasing-power parity (PPP) between two currencies. The index
also provides a test of the extent to which market exchange
rates result in goods costing the same in different countries.
Name the index.

5. Although heavily criticized, this concept was once considered
sacrosanct in development economics. This hypothesis states
that as an economy develops, market forces first increase and
then decrease economic inequality. The idea being that as an
economy industrializes, an influx of cheap rural labour to the
cities holds down wages. Over time, human capital replaces
physical capital, and wages rise again. When inequality and
income per capita are graphed, the shape is an inverted U --
known as whose curve?

6. Winning the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences in 1998,
this economist is renowned for his economic theories of famine.
His main argument is that famine occurs not only from a lack
of food but also from inequalities built into mechanisms for
distributing food. Name him.

7. This economist was highly influential in the former Soviet
Union's transition from central planning to a market-based
economy. His approach was referred to as "shock therapy"
by his detractors. Name him.

8. Winning the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences in 2001,
this economist is a former chief economist of the World
Bank and a former chairman of the US President's Council of
Economic Advisors. He is best known for his critical views of
laissez-faire economics, austerity measures, and international
institutions such as the International Monetary Fund and the
World Bank. Name him.

9. In 2000, a Peruvian economist published "The Mystery of Capital:
Why Capitalism Triumphs in the West and Fails Everywhere Else".
Still highly influential to this day, he argued that no nation
can have a strong market economy without strict property rights
and records of property ownership. Otherwise, the poor hold
huge sums of capital in the informal sector but cannot leverage
it because they have no rights or title to that capital.
Name this economist, who the Shining Path tried to assassinate
at least twice.

10. This composite statistic of life expectancy, education,
and per capita income indicators is used to rank countries into
four tiers. A country scores higher when the lifespan is higher,
the education level is higher, and the GDP per capita is higher.
This is published annually by the United Nations Development
Programme. Name the statistic.

** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Kids' TV

In each case we'll describe a show, and you name it.

* A. Geography Shows

A1. An American TV show that became a regular series in 2000 and
aired on CBS until 2006. The series centers around a
7-year-old girl with a love of embarking on quests related
to an activity she wants to participate in or a place that
she wants to go. She is accompanied by her talking purple
backpack and a monkey companion named Boots.

A2. Developed in part as a response to a "National Geographic"
survey that showed just how poor Americans' geography skills
were, from 1991 to 1995 this show provided an entertaining
way to learn about geography. It had a game-show format,
in which each question was introduced with a clue that
contained cultural and geographic information delivered as
part of a sketch, making the show more than a competition.

* B. Science Shows

B1. This show is part of an American "edutainment" media
franchise that consists of a book series, a TV series, and
several video games, among other things. Each of the stories
within the franchise centers on the antics of a fictional
elementary school teacher, Ms. Frizzle, and her class.
They go on field trips to impossible locations, such as the
solar system, clouds, the past, and inside the human body.

B2. This American show aired originally from 1993 to 1998 and
consisted of hosted segments of science being taught
through on-site visits, skits, and interesting props.
Segments featured children doing science-based sketches
and experiments. The show also included "Soundtrack of
Science" segments, which were parody songs and music videos.

* C. Artsy Shows

C1. The original and best-known episodes of this Argentinian-
British series aired between 1990 and 2007. It was presented
by one of its creators, Neil Buchanan, who gave step-by-step
instructions for creating works of art using all sorts of
materials readily available to a child. As a sidekick
to the host, the Head was a puppet stone bust who would
humorously recap the steps needed to produce the last art
piece made -- then he would usually show his creation and
burst into tears because he'd gotten in hilariously wrong.

C2. This US show filmed 780 episodes from 1971 to 1977, and was
in reruns until 1985. It was intended as a follow-up show
for kids who aged out of "Sesame Street", and it contained
a more "mature" type of sketch humor to teach kids grammar
and reading skills.

* D. Entertaining Shows

D1. This Canadian variety show series, hosted by Bill Lawrence,
aired in various formats on Hamilton's CHCH-TV from
1957 to 1992. It featured children aged 12 or under,
demonstrating their talents in various performing arts.
Noted performers on the original series included Sheila
Copps reciting a poem, Deborah Cox as a singer, and Frank
Augustyn performing a gymnastics routine.

D2. This Canadian show featured "songs and stories and so much
more". The content of the shows was generally geared towards
education and creativity. Each week of episodes focused
on a single theme, with each weekday assigned a different
motif in which the theme was explored in different ways.
For example, Tuesdays were "Dress-Up Day", and the hosts
would use costumes to explore the theme.

* E. Canadian Shows

E1. This show, designed to provide viewers with exposure to
the French language, was produced by CBC Television and
ran from 1959-1973. It featured a female host with a mouse
puppet named Suzie who generally spoke English.

E2. This TVO production originally ran from 1978 to 1980.
Featuring a hobo clown, this show was also designed to teach
French to anglophone children. The host would introduce new
terms, which would then be used in a subsequent sketches
-- first a bilingual version, then a French-only version.
This last sketch was introduced using these words that still
make a generation shudder: "And now, here's the complete
sketch again."

* F. Miscellaneous Shows

F1. If you were a kid between 1975 and 1985, you probably got
most of your US civics instruction from this show, with
classics like "I'm Just a Bill". The original run of the
show also had episodes covering multiplication, grammar,
and science.

F2. This Canadian show, which ran from 1967 to 1996, aired
every weekday morning. The host would lead children
through a series of songs, stories, arts, crafts, and
imagination games. The show's original co-hosts were a
child and a dog who lived in a treehouse.

--
Mark Brader "There are three rules for writing the novel.
Toronto Unfortunately no one knows what they are."

Joshua Kreitzer

Apr 30, 2018, 1:25:39 AM4/30/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:id6dnROnNuUNBXvHnZ2dnUU7-
avN...@giganews.com:

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Science - Development Economics
>
> Here is a round on development economics and economists -- a
> specialized subfield of the "dismal science".
>
> 1. This metric represents the income or wealth distribution
> of a nation's residents, and is the most commonly used measure
> of inequality. The value 0 expresses perfect equality; a 1 is
> maximum inequality. Name the statistic.

GINI

> 4. The Economist publishes this informal index as a way of measuring
> purchasing-power parity (PPP) between two currencies. The index
> also provides a test of the extent to which market exchange
> rates result in goods costing the same in different countries.
> Name the index.

Big Mac index

> 6. Winning the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences in 1998,
> this economist is renowned for his economic theories of famine.
> His main argument is that famine occurs not only from a lack
> of food but also from inequalities built into mechanisms for
> distributing food. Name him.

Sen

> 7. This economist was highly influential in the former Soviet
> Union's transition from central planning to a market-based
> economy. His approach was referred to as "shock therapy"
> by his detractors. Name him.

Friedman

> 9. In 2000, a Peruvian economist published "The Mystery of Capital:
> Why Capitalism Triumphs in the West and Fails Everywhere Else".
> Still highly influential to this day, he argued that no nation
> can have a strong market economy without strict property rights
> and records of property ownership. Otherwise, the poor hold
> huge sums of capital in the informal sector but cannot leverage
> it because they have no rights or title to that capital.
> Name this economist, who the Shining Path tried to assassinate
> at least twice.

De Soto

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Kids' TV
>
> In each case we'll describe a show, and you name it.
>
> * A. Geography Shows
>
> A1. An American TV show that became a regular series in 2000 and
> aired on CBS until 2006. The series centers around a
> 7-year-old girl with a love of embarking on quests related
> to an activity she wants to participate in or a place that
> she wants to go. She is accompanied by her talking purple
> backpack and a monkey companion named Boots.

"Dora the Explorer"

> A2. Developed in part as a response to a "National Geographic"
> survey that showed just how poor Americans' geography skills
> were, from 1991 to 1995 this show provided an entertaining
> way to learn about geography. It had a game-show format,
> in which each question was introduced with a clue that
> contained cultural and geographic information delivered as
> part of a sketch, making the show more than a competition.

"Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego"; "Where on Earth is Carmen
Sandiego"

> * B. Science Shows
>
> B1. This show is part of an American "edutainment" media
> franchise that consists of a book series, a TV series, and
> several video games, among other things. Each of the stories
> within the franchise centers on the antics of a fictional
> elementary school teacher, Ms. Frizzle, and her class.
> They go on field trips to impossible locations, such as the
> solar system, clouds, the past, and inside the human body.

"The Magic School Bus"

> * C. Artsy Shows
>
> C2. This US show filmed 780 episodes from 1971 to 1977, and was
> in reruns until 1985. It was intended as a follow-up show
> for kids who aged out of "Sesame Street", and it contained
> a more "mature" type of sketch humor to teach kids grammar
> and reading skills.

"The Electric Company"

> * F. Miscellaneous Shows
>
> F1. If you were a kid between 1975 and 1985, you probably got
> most of your US civics instruction from this show, with
> classics like "I'm Just a Bill". The original run of the
> show also had episodes covering multiplication, grammar,
> and science.

"Schoolhouse Rock"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 30, 2018, 4:13:17 AM4/30/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. This metric represents the income or wealth distribution
> of a nation's residents, and is the most commonly used measure
> of inequality. The value 0 expresses perfect equality; a 1 is
> maximum inequality. Name the statistic.

Gini

> 2. Although it is frequently misrepresented, this economist proposed
> a tax on foreign exchange transactions to cushion exchange-rate
> fluctuations. At each exchange of a currency into another, a
> small tax would be levied to dissuade speculators. This tax was
> intended to help developing or smaller countries have greater
> control over their economies without shutting their doors to
> trade and international monetary markets. Name the economist.

Tobin

> 8. Winning the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences in 2001,
> this economist is a former chief economist of the World
> Bank and a former chairman of the US President's Council of
> Economic Advisors. He is best known for his critical views of
> laissez-faire economics, austerity measures, and international
> institutions such as the International Monetary Fund and the
> World Bank. Name him.

Krugman

Peter Smyth

Apr 30, 2018, 5:21:42 AM4/30/18
Tobin
> 3. Although used in many economics fields, in the context
> of development economics this term refers to the concept that
> developing countries may accelerate development by skipping
> older, inferior technologies and industries (that are less
> efficient, more polluting, etc.) and moving directly to more
> advanced ones. Name the term.
>
> 4. The Economist publishes this informal index as a way of measuring
> purchasing-power parity (PPP) between two currencies. The index
> also provides a test of the extent to which market exchange
> rates result in goods costing the same in different countries.
> Name the index.
Big Mac Index
Dora the Explorer
> A2. Developed in part as a response to a "National Geographic"
> survey that showed just how poor Americans' geography skills
> were, from 1991 to 1995 this show provided an entertaining
> way to learn about geography. It had a game-show format,
> in which each question was introduced with a clue that
> contained cultural and geographic information delivered as
> part of a sketch, making the show more than a competition.
Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?

> * B. Science Shows
>
> B1. This show is part of an American "edutainment" media
> franchise that consists of a book series, a TV series, and
> several video games, among other things. Each of the stories
> within the franchise centers on the antics of a fictional
> elementary school teacher, Ms. Frizzle, and her class.
> They go on field trips to impossible locations, such as the
> solar system, clouds, the past, and inside the human body.
Magic School Bus
> B2. This American show aired originally from 1993 to 1998 and
> consisted of hosted segments of science being taught
> through on-site visits, skits, and interesting props.
> Segments featured children doing science-based sketches
> and experiments. The show also included "Soundtrack of
> Science" segments, which were parody songs and music videos.
Bill Nye Science Guy

> * C. Artsy Shows
>
> C1. The original and best-known episodes of this Argentinian-
> British series aired between 1990 and 2007. It was presented
> by one of its creators, Neil Buchanan, who gave step-by-step
> instructions for creating works of art using all sorts of
> materials readily available to a child. As a sidekick
> to the host, the Head was a puppet stone bust who would
> humorously recap the steps needed to produce the last art
> piece made -- then he would usually show his creation and
> burst into tears because he'd gotten in hilariously wrong.
Art Attack
Peter Smyth

Dan Blum

Apr 30, 2018, 9:52:37 AM4/30/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Science - Development Economics

> 1. This metric represents the income or wealth distribution
> of a nation's residents, and is the most commonly used measure
> of inequality. The value 0 expresses perfect equality; a 1 is
> maximum inequality. Name the statistic.

GINI coefficient

> 2. Although it is frequently misrepresented, this economist proposed
> a tax on foreign exchange transactions to cushion exchange-rate
> fluctuations. At each exchange of a currency into another, a
> small tax would be levied to dissuade speculators. This tax was
> intended to help developing or smaller countries have greater
> control over their economies without shutting their doors to
> trade and international monetary markets. Name the economist.

Keynes; Friedman

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Kids' TV

> * A. Geography Shows

> A1. An American TV show that became a regular series in 2000 and
> aired on CBS until 2006. The series centers around a
> 7-year-old girl with a love of embarking on quests related
> to an activity she wants to participate in or a place that
> she wants to go. She is accompanied by her talking purple
> backpack and a monkey companion named Boots.

Dora the Explorer

> A2. Developed in part as a response to a "National Geographic"
> survey that showed just how poor Americans' geography skills
> were, from 1991 to 1995 this show provided an entertaining
> way to learn about geography. It had a game-show format,
> in which each question was introduced with a clue that
> contained cultural and geographic information delivered as
> part of a sketch, making the show more than a competition.

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?

> * B. Science Shows

> B1. This show is part of an American "edutainment" media
> franchise that consists of a book series, a TV series, and
> several video games, among other things. Each of the stories
> within the franchise centers on the antics of a fictional
> elementary school teacher, Ms. Frizzle, and her class.
> They go on field trips to impossible locations, such as the
> solar system, clouds, the past, and inside the human body.

Magic School Bus

> B2. This American show aired originally from 1993 to 1998 and
> consisted of hosted segments of science being taught
> through on-site visits, skits, and interesting props.
> Segments featured children doing science-based sketches
> and experiments. The show also included "Soundtrack of
> Science" segments, which were parody songs and music videos.

Bill Nye the Science Guy

> * C. Artsy Shows

> C2. This US show filmed 780 episodes from 1971 to 1977, and was
> in reruns until 1985. It was intended as a follow-up show
> for kids who aged out of "Sesame Street", and it contained
> a more "mature" type of sketch humor to teach kids grammar
> and reading skills.

The Electric Company

> * F. Miscellaneous Shows

> F1. If you were a kid between 1975 and 1985, you probably got
> most of your US civics instruction from this show, with
> classics like "I'm Just a Bill". The original run of the
> show also had episodes covering multiplication, grammar,
> and science.

Schoolhouse Rock

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Pete Gayde

Apr 30, 2018, 10:52:09 AM4/30/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:id6dnROnNuUNBXvHnZ2dnUU7-
avN...@giganews.com:

Friedman
Friedman

> 7. This economist was highly influential in the former Soviet
> Union's transition from central planning to a market-based
> economy. His approach was referred to as "shock therapy"
> by his detractors. Name him.
>
> 8. Winning the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences in 2001,
> this economist is a former chief economist of the World
> Bank and a former chairman of the US President's Council of
> Economic Advisors. He is best known for his critical views of
> laissez-faire economics, austerity measures, and international
> institutions such as the International Monetary Fund and the
> World Bank. Name him.

Friedman

> 9. In 2000, a Peruvian economist published "The Mystery of Capital:
> Why Capitalism Triumphs in the West and Fails Everywhere Else".
> Still highly influential to this day, he argued that no nation
> can have a strong market economy without strict property rights
> and records of property ownership. Otherwise, the poor hold
> huge sums of capital in the informal sector but cannot leverage
> it because they have no rights or title to that capital.
> Name this economist, who the Shining Path tried to assassinate
> at least twice.
>
> 10. This composite statistic of life expectancy, education,
> and per capita income indicators is used to rank countries into
> four tiers. A country scores higher when the lifespan is higher,
> the education level is higher, and the GDP per capita is higher.
> This is published annually by the United Nations Development
> Programme. Name the statistic.
>

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Kids' TV
>
> In each case we'll describe a show, and you name it.
>
> * A. Geography Shows
>
> A1. An American TV show that became a regular series in 2000 and
> aired on CBS until 2006. The series centers around a
> 7-year-old girl with a love of embarking on quests related
> to an activity she wants to participate in or a place that
> she wants to go. She is accompanied by her talking purple
> backpack and a monkey companion named Boots.

Dora the Explorer

> A2. Developed in part as a response to a "National Geographic"
> survey that showed just how poor Americans' geography skills
> were, from 1991 to 1995 this show provided an entertaining
> way to learn about geography. It had a game-show format,
> in which each question was introduced with a clue that
> contained cultural and geographic information delivered as
> part of a sketch, making the show more than a competition.

Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?

> * B. Science Shows
>
> B1. This show is part of an American "edutainment" media
> franchise that consists of a book series, a TV series, and
> several video games, among other things. Each of the stories
> within the franchise centers on the antics of a fictional
> elementary school teacher, Ms. Frizzle, and her class.
> They go on field trips to impossible locations, such as the
> solar system, clouds, the past, and inside the human body.

The Magic School Bus
Chez Helen

> E2. This TVO production originally ran from 1978 to 1980.
> Featuring a hobo clown, this show was also designed to teach
> French to anglophone children. The host would introduce new
> terms, which would then be used in a subsequent sketches
> -- first a bilingual version, then a French-only version.
> This last sketch was introduced using these words that still
> make a generation shudder: "And now, here's the complete
> sketch again."
>

> * F. Miscellaneous Shows
>
> F1. If you were a kid between 1975 and 1985, you probably got
> most of your US civics instruction from this show, with
> classics like "I'm Just a Bill". The original run of the
> show also had episodes covering multiplication, grammar,
> and science.

Schoolhouse Rock

> F2. This Canadian show, which ran from 1967 to 1996, aired
> every weekday morning. The host would lead children
> through a series of songs, stories, arts, crafts, and
> imagination games. The show's original co-hosts were a
> child and a dog who lived in a treehouse.

Mr Dressup

Pete Gayde

Dan Tilque

Apr 30, 2018, 4:00:15 PM4/30/18
Big Mac Index
Paul Krugman
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego
Dan Tilque

Jason Kreitzer

Apr 30, 2018, 10:39:45 PM4/30/18
"Dora the Explorer"
> A2. Developed in part as a response to a "National Geographic"
> survey that showed just how poor Americans' geography skills
> were, from 1991 to 1995 this show provided an entertaining
> way to learn about geography. It had a game-show format,
> in which each question was introduced with a clue that
> contained cultural and geographic information delivered as
> part of a sketch, making the show more than a competition.
>

> * B. Science Shows
>
> B1. This show is part of an American "edutainment" media
> franchise that consists of a book series, a TV series, and
> several video games, among other things. Each of the stories
> within the franchise centers on the antics of a fictional
> elementary school teacher, Ms. Frizzle, and her class.
> They go on field trips to impossible locations, such as the
> solar system, clouds, the past, and inside the human body.
>
> B2. This American show aired originally from 1993 to 1998 and
> consisted of hosted segments of science being taught
> through on-site visits, skits, and interesting props.
> Segments featured children doing science-based sketches
> and experiments. The show also included "Soundtrack of
> Science" segments, which were parody songs and music videos.
"Bill Nye the Science Guy"

"Schoolhouse Rock"

Calvin

May 1, 2018, 9:12:55 PM5/1/18
On Monday, April 30, 2018 at 2:16:22 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Science - Development Economics
>
> Here is a round on development economics and economists -- a
> specialized subfield of the "dismal science".
>
> 1. This metric represents the income or wealth distribution
> of a nation's residents, and is the most commonly used measure
> of inequality. The value 0 expresses perfect equality; a 1 is
> maximum inequality. Name the statistic.

Gini coefficient

> 2. Although it is frequently misrepresented, this economist proposed
> a tax on foreign exchange transactions to cushion exchange-rate
> fluctuations. At each exchange of a currency into another, a
> small tax would be levied to dissuade speculators. This tax was
> intended to help developing or smaller countries have greater
> control over their economies without shutting their doors to
> trade and international monetary markets. Name the economist.

Keynes, Friedman

> 3. Although used in many economics fields, in the context
> of development economics this term refers to the concept that
> developing countries may accelerate development by skipping
> older, inferior technologies and industries (that are less
> efficient, more polluting, etc.) and moving directly to more
> advanced ones. Name the term.

Leapfrog

> 4. The Economist publishes this informal index as a way of measuring
> purchasing-power parity (PPP) between two currencies. The index
> also provides a test of the extent to which market exchange
> rates result in goods costing the same in different countries.
> Name the index.

Big Mac Index

> 5. Although heavily criticized, this concept was once considered
> sacrosanct in development economics. This hypothesis states
> that as an economy develops, market forces first increase and
> then decrease economic inequality. The idea being that as an
> economy industrializes, an influx of cheap rural labour to the
> cities holds down wages. Over time, human capital replaces
> physical capital, and wages rise again. When inequality and
> income per capita are graphed, the shape is an inverted U --
> known as whose curve?

Phillips, Laffer
National Development Index

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Kids' TV
>
> In each case we'll describe a show, and you name it.
>
> * A. Geography Shows
>
> A1. An American TV show that became a regular series in 2000 and
> aired on CBS until 2006. The series centers around a
> 7-year-old girl with a love of embarking on quests related
> to an activity she wants to participate in or a place that
> she wants to go. She is accompanied by her talking purple
> backpack and a monkey companion named Boots.

Dora the Explorer

> A2. Developed in part as a response to a "National Geographic"
> survey that showed just how poor Americans' geography skills
> were, from 1991 to 1995 this show provided an entertaining
> way to learn about geography. It had a game-show format,
> in which each question was introduced with a clue that
> contained cultural and geographic information delivered as
> part of a sketch, making the show more than a competition.

Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?

> * B. Science Shows
>
> B1. This show is part of an American "edutainment" media
> franchise that consists of a book series, a TV series, and
> several video games, among other things. Each of the stories
> within the franchise centers on the antics of a fictional
> elementary school teacher, Ms. Frizzle, and her class.
> They go on field trips to impossible locations, such as the
> solar system, clouds, the past, and inside the human body.

The Magic School Bus
cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

May 3, 2018, 1:07:44 AM5/3/18
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-02-26,
> see my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 6 is over and DAN BLUM is the winner. Hearty congratulations!

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Science - Development Economics

> Here is a round on development economics and economists -- a
> specialized subfield of the "dismal science".

In the original game, this was the hardest round in this somewhat
dismal game, and in fact -- and by a considerable margin -- the
hardest in the entire season.

> 1. This metric represents the income or wealth distribution
> of a nation's residents, and is the most commonly used measure
> of inequality. The value 0 expresses perfect equality; a 1 is
> maximum inequality. Name the statistic.

Gini coefficient. (Named after Corrado Gini. I scored his name
alone as almost correct.) 4 for Dan Blum and Calvin. 3 for Joshua
and Erland.

> 2. Although it is frequently misrepresented, this economist proposed
> a tax on foreign exchange transactions to cushion exchange-rate
> fluctuations. At each exchange of a currency into another, a
> small tax would be levied to dissuade speculators. This tax was
> intended to help developing or smaller countries have greater
> control over their economies without shutting their doors to
> trade and international monetary markets. Name the economist.

James Tobin. 4 for Erland and Peter.

> 3. Although used in many economics fields, in the context
> of development economics this term refers to the concept that
> developing countries may accelerate development by skipping
> older, inferior technologies and industries (that are less
> efficient, more polluting, etc.) and moving directly to more
> advanced ones. Name the term.

Leapfrogging. 4 for Calvin.

> 4. The Economist publishes this informal index as a way of measuring
> purchasing-power parity (PPP) between two currencies. The index
> also provides a test of the extent to which market exchange
> rates result in goods costing the same in different countries.
> Name the index.

Big Mac index. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Dan Tilque, and Calvin.

> 5. Although heavily criticized, this concept was once considered
> sacrosanct in development economics. This hypothesis states
> that as an economy develops, market forces first increase and
> then decrease economic inequality. The idea being that as an
> economy industrializes, an influx of cheap rural labour to the
> cities holds down wages. Over time, human capital replaces
> physical capital, and wages rise again. When inequality and
> income per capita are graphed, the shape is an inverted U --
> known as whose curve?

Simon Kuznets.

> 6. Winning the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences in 1998,
> this economist is renowned for his economic theories of famine.
> His main argument is that famine occurs not only from a lack
> of food but also from inequalities built into mechanisms for
> distributing food. Name him.

Amartya Sen. 4 for Joshua.

> 7. This economist was highly influential in the former Soviet
> Union's transition from central planning to a market-based
> economy. His approach was referred to as "shock therapy"
> by his detractors. Name him.

Jeffrey Sachs.

> 8. Winning the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences in 2001,
> this economist is a former chief economist of the World
> Bank and a former chairman of the US President's Council of
> Economic Advisors. He is best known for his critical views of
> laissez-faire economics, austerity measures, and international
> institutions such as the International Monetary Fund and the
> World Bank. Name him.

Joseph Stiglitz.

> 9. In 2000, a Peruvian economist published "The Mystery of Capital:
> Why Capitalism Triumphs in the West and Fails Everywhere Else".
> Still highly influential to this day, he argued that no nation
> can have a strong market economy without strict property rights
> and records of property ownership. Otherwise, the poor hold
> huge sums of capital in the informal sector but cannot leverage
> it because they have no rights or title to that capital.
> Name this economist, who the Shining Path tried to assassinate
> at least twice.

Hernando de Soto. 4 for Joshua.

> 10. This composite statistic of life expectancy, education,
> and per capita income indicators is used to rank countries into
> four tiers. A country scores higher when the lifespan is higher,
> the education level is higher, and the GDP per capita is higher.
> This is published annually by the United Nations Development
> Programme. Name the statistic.

Human Development Index. I did not accept "National Development

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Kids' TV

> In each case we'll describe a show, and you name it.

Yes, an entire challenge round on one topic. Bad form, I say.

> * A. Geography Shows

> A1. An American TV show that became a regular series in 2000 and
> aired on CBS until 2006. The series centers around a
> 7-year-old girl with a love of embarking on quests related
> to an activity she wants to participate in or a place that
> she wants to go. She is accompanied by her talking purple
> backpack and a monkey companion named Boots.

"Dora the Explorer". 4 for Joshua, Peter, Dan Blum, Pete, Jason,
and Calvin.

> A2. Developed in part as a response to a "National Geographic"
> survey that showed just how poor Americans' geography skills
> were, from 1991 to 1995 this show provided an entertaining
> way to learn about geography. It had a game-show format,
> in which each question was introduced with a clue that
> contained cultural and geographic information delivered as
> part of a sketch, making the show more than a competition.

"Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?". 4 for Peter, Dan Blum,
Pete, Dan Tilque, and Calvin. 3 for Joshua (the hard way).

> * B. Science Shows

> B1. This show is part of an American "edutainment" media
> franchise that consists of a book series, a TV series, and
> several video games, among other things. Each of the stories
> within the franchise centers on the antics of a fictional
> elementary school teacher, Ms. Frizzle, and her class.
> They go on field trips to impossible locations, such as the
> solar system, clouds, the past, and inside the human body.

"The Magic School Bus". 4 for Joshua, Peter, Dan Blum, Pete,
and Calvin.

> B2. This American show aired originally from 1993 to 1998 and
> consisted of hosted segments of science being taught
> through on-site visits, skits, and interesting props.
> Segments featured children doing science-based sketches
> and experiments. The show also included "Soundtrack of
> Science" segments, which were parody songs and music videos.

"Bill Nye the Science Guy". 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, and Jason.

> * C. Artsy Shows

> C1. The original and best-known episodes of this Argentinian-
> British series aired between 1990 and 2007. It was presented
> by one of its creators, Neil Buchanan, who gave step-by-step
> instructions for creating works of art using all sorts of
> materials readily available to a child. As a sidekick
> to the host, the Head was a puppet stone bust who would
> humorously recap the steps needed to produce the last art
> piece made -- then he would usually show his creation and
> burst into tears because he'd gotten in hilariously wrong.

"Art Attack". 4 for Peter.

> C2. This US show filmed 780 episodes from 1971 to 1977, and was
> in reruns until 1985. It was intended as a follow-up show
> for kids who aged out of "Sesame Street", and it contained
> a more "mature" type of sketch humor to teach kids grammar
> and reading skills.

"The Electric Company". 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> * D. Entertaining Shows

> D1. This Canadian variety show series, hosted by Bill Lawrence,
> aired in various formats on Hamilton's CHCH-TV from
> 1957 to 1992. It featured children aged 12 or under,
> demonstrating their talents in various performing arts.
> Noted performers on the original series included Sheila
> Copps reciting a poem, Deborah Cox as a singer, and Frank
> Augustyn performing a gymnastics routine.

"Tiny Talent Time".

> D2. This Canadian show featured "songs and stories and so much
> more". The content of the shows was generally geared towards
> education and creativity. Each week of episodes focused
> on a single theme, with each weekday assigned a different
> motif in which the theme was explored in different ways.
> For example, Tuesdays were "Dress-Up Day", and the hosts
> would use costumes to explore the theme.

"Polka Dot Door".

> * E. Canadian Shows

(In case there weren't enough of them in pair D.)

> E1. This show, designed to provide viewers with exposure to
> the French language, was produced by CBC Television and
> ran from 1959-1973. It featured a female host with a mouse
> puppet named Suzie who generally spoke English.

"Chez Hélène". I accepted "Chez Helen". 4 for Pete.

> E2. This TVO production originally ran from 1978 to 1980.
> Featuring a hobo clown, this show was also designed to teach
> French to anglophone children. The host would introduce new
> terms, which would then be used in a subsequent sketches
> -- first a bilingual version, then a French-only version.
> This last sketch was introduced using these words that still
> make a generation shudder: "And now, here's the complete
> sketch again."

"Parlez-moi" (accepting "Talk to Me") or "Sol".

> * F. Miscellaneous Shows

> F1. If you were a kid between 1975 and 1985, you probably got
> most of your US civics instruction from this show, with
> classics like "I'm Just a Bill". The original run of the
> show also had episodes covering multiplication, grammar,
> and science.

"Schoolhouse Rock". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Jason.

> F2. This Canadian show, which ran from 1967 to 1996, aired
> every weekday morning. The host would lead children
> through a series of songs, stories, arts, crafts, and
> imagination games. The show's original co-hosts were a
> child and a dog who lived in a treehouse.

"Mr. Dressup". 4 for Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Lit His Ent Spo Mis Sci Cha FIVE
Dan Blum 40 15 20 0 32 4 24 131
Joshua Kreitzer 35 8 16 16 31 15 19 117
"Calvin" 28 4 8 0 35 12 12 95
Peter Smyth 8 0 16 0 36 8 20 88
Jason Kreitzer 16 4 8 0 20 0 12 60
Dan Tilque 4 8 0 0 32 4 4 52
Erland Sommarskog 4 -- -- 0 35 7 0 46
Pete Gayde 8 4 4 -- -- 0 24 40
Marc Dashevsky 16 -- -- -- -- -- -- 16

--
Mark Brader "You are dangerously close to attempting
Toronto to apply logic and sense to the actions