QFTCICR19 Final, Rounds 4-6: history, Canadiana

Mark Brader

May 20, 2019, 1:26:22 AM5/20/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-04-09,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Cellar Rats and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 4 - History

* Ancient Rome

1. Which Roman emperor ordered the invasion of Britain in 43?

2. In a significant action, what did Julius Caesar cross in 49 BC?

3. What collective name is used for the three wars fought between
Rome and Carthage?

* Battles

4. Who did the Viet Minh defeat in 1954 at the Battle of Dien
Bien Phu?

5. Which *two* countries fought the Battle of Rocroi in 1643?

6. The Battle of Lepanto was a naval engagement which took place
in 1571. The Venetian republic and the Spanish Empire inflected
a major defeat on who?

* Cold War

7. Of the permitted crossing points between West and East Berlin
after the Wall was constructed, one became the best known because
non-Germans were allowed to use it. What name was given to it
by the western allies?

8. Winston Churchill came up with the term Iron Curtain to describe
the boundary between western Europe and and Communist bloc.
That term was used to describe the division between Communist
China and the west?

9. In 1954 a conference was held regarding the Korean peninsula and
Southeast Asia. One on side were the US, France, and other
western nations; on the other, the USSR, Communist China,
and their allies. But what city hosted the conference?

* Iconic Soviet Organizations

These organizations may or may not still exist in Russia today,
but in the Soviet era all of them were official state bodies.
Name them.

10. All foreign tourists in Russia had to use what travel agency
there?

11. Russians used to joke that "In the Truth there is no news,
and in the News there is no truth". If the "Truth" was "Pravda",
what newspaper was the "News"?

12. What was the Soviets' official news agency?

* Leaders of Countries

What countries did the following people lead in the years indicated?

13. Tomas Masaryk, 1918-35?
14. Heng Samrin, 1981-92?
15. Ian Smith, 1964-79?

** Final, Round 6 - Canadiana

* The Territories

1. Canada has 10 provinces and 3 territories. Name all the
territories.

2. Please decode the rot13 only after completing the previous
question. Gur pncvgny bs Ahanihg vf Vdnyhvg, ohg jung jnf vgf
anzr sebz 1942 hagvy gur genqvgvbany anzr jnf erfgberq va 1987?

3. The federal government has a ceremonial representative in each
territory -- known by what title?

* Confederation

4. Name the act passed in 1867 by the British Parliament providing
for the confederation of Canada.

5. What were the four original provinces when Confederation was
established in 1867?

6. Please decode the rot13 only after completing the previous
question. Anzr gur Zbagerny ynjlre jub oebhtug Dhrorp vagb
Pbasrqrengvba nf jryy nf artbgvngvat Pnanqn'f npdhvfvgvba bs
Znavgbon, gur Abegu-Jrfg Greevgbevrf, naq Oevgvfu Pbyhzovn.

* Early Days and Explorers

7. The remains of a Viking settlement in Newfoundland are now a
World Heritage Site. What's the name of the place?

8. Within 2 years, when did explorer Giovanni Caboto, who you might
know better as John Cabot, arrive at what is now eastern Canada?

9. The name Canada comes from the Iroquoian word "kanata", meaning
"village". Who was the first explorer to hear the word?

* Aboriginal Peoples

10. Territorial rights in what is now Canada were first guaranteed
to Indians, as they were called, through a proclamation in 1763
by what British king?

11. They were stil called Indians in 1982. In the language of the
Constitution Act, 1982, the aboriginal peoples of Canada include
the Indians, the Métis, and who else?

12. In what year did Canada apologize to aboriginal students who
were forced to attend "residential schools"?

* Acquiring Canadian Citizenship

13. Within $20, what is the current fee for an adult to apply for
Canadian citizenship?

14. You must take a test if you apply for Canadian citizenship
when you are at least 18 and at most what age?

15. At the citizenship ceremony, a new Canadian citizen may either
swear or affirm their allegiance. What is the difference?

--
Mark Brader | "Countries with strong economic ties tend
Toronto | not to fight each other"

Joshua Kreitzer

May 20, 2019, 1:36:50 AM5/20/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:_pudndxHRqLkp3_BnZ2dnUU7-
I_N...@giganews.com:

> ** Final, Round 4 - History
>
> * Ancient Rome
>
> 1. Which Roman emperor ordered the invasion of Britain in 43?

Nero; Claudius

> 2. In a significant action, what did Julius Caesar cross in 49 BC?

the Rubicon

> 3. What collective name is used for the three wars fought between
> Rome and Carthage?

Punic Wars

> * Battles
>
> 4. Who did the Viet Minh defeat in 1954 at the Battle of Dien
> Bien Phu?

France

> 6. The Battle of Lepanto was a naval engagement which took place
> in 1571. The Venetian republic and the Spanish Empire inflected
> a major defeat on who?

Ottoman Empire

> * Cold War
>
> 7. Of the permitted crossing points between West and East Berlin
> after the Wall was constructed, one became the best known because
> non-Germans were allowed to use it. What name was given to it
> by the western allies?

Checkpoint Charlie

> 8. Winston Churchill came up with the term Iron Curtain to describe
> the boundary between western Europe and and Communist bloc.
> That term was used to describe the division between Communist
> China and the west?

Bamboo Curtain

> * Iconic Soviet Organizations
>
> These organizations may or may not still exist in Russia today,
> but in the Soviet era all of them were official state bodies.
> Name them.
>
> 10. All foreign tourists in Russia had to use what travel agency
> there?

Intourist

> 11. Russians used to joke that "In the Truth there is no news,
> and in the News there is no truth". If the "Truth" was "Pravda",
> what newspaper was the "News"?

Izvestia

> 12. What was the Soviets' official news agency?

TASS

> * Leaders of Countries
>
> What countries did the following people lead in the years indicated?
>
> 13. Tomas Masaryk, 1918-35?

Czechoslovakia

> 14. Heng Samrin, 1981-92?

Cambodia

> 15. Ian Smith, 1964-79?

Rhodesia

> ** Final, Round 6 - Canadiana
>
> * The Territories
>
> 1. Canada has 10 provinces and 3 territories. Name all the
> territories.

Northwest Territories, Yukon, Nunavut

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after completing the previous
> question. Gur pncvgny bs Ahanihg vf Vdnyhvg, ohg jung jnf vgf
> anzr sebz 1942 hagvy gur genqvgvbany anzr jnf erfgberq va 1987?

Frobisher (?)

> 3. The federal government has a ceremonial representative in each
> territory -- known by what title?

governor

> * Confederation
>
> 4. Name the act passed in 1867 by the British Parliament providing
> for the confederation of Canada.

British North America Act

> 5. What were the four original provinces when Confederation was
> established in 1867?

Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia

> * Early Days and Explorers
>
> 7. The remains of a Viking settlement in Newfoundland are now a
> World Heritage Site. What's the name of the place?

L'Anse aux Meadows

> 8. Within 2 years, when did explorer Giovanni Caboto, who you might
> know better as John Cabot, arrive at what is now eastern Canada?

1540; 1535

> 9. The name Canada comes from the Iroquoian word "kanata", meaning
> "village". Who was the first explorer to hear the word?

Cartier

> * Aboriginal Peoples
>
> 10. Territorial rights in what is now Canada were first guaranteed
> to Indians, as they were called, through a proclamation in 1763
> by what British king?

George III

> 11. They were stil called Indians in 1982. In the language of the
> Constitution Act, 1982, the aboriginal peoples of Canada include
> the Indians, the Métis, and who else?

Inuit

> * Acquiring Canadian Citizenship
>
> 13. Within $20, what is the current fee for an adult to apply for
> Canadian citizenship?

$100

> 14. You must take a test if you apply for Canadian citizenship
> when you are at least 18 and at most what age?

65

> 15. At the citizenship ceremony, a new Canadian citizen may either
> swear or affirm their allegiance. What is the difference?

swearing includes reference to God

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

May 20, 2019, 5:19:43 AM5/20/19
On 5/19/19 10:26 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 4 - History
>
> * Ancient Rome
>
> 1. Which Roman emperor ordered the invasion of Britain in 43?

Claudius

> 2. In a significant action, what did Julius Caesar cross in 49 BC?

Rubicon

> 3. What collective name is used for the three wars fought between
> Rome and Carthage?

Punic Wars

> * Battles
>
> 4. Who did the Viet Minh defeat in 1954 at the Battle of Dien
> Bien Phu?

French

> 5. Which *two* countries fought the Battle of Rocroi in 1643?
>
> 6. The Battle of Lepanto was a naval engagement which took place
> in 1571. The Venetian republic and the Spanish Empire inflected
> a major defeat on who?

Ottoman Empire

> * Cold War
>
> 7. Of the permitted crossing points between West and East Berlin
> after the Wall was constructed, one became the best known because
> non-Germans were allowed to use it. What name was given to it
> by the western allies?

Check Point Charlie

> 8. Winston Churchill came up with the term Iron Curtain to describe
> the boundary between western Europe and and Communist bloc.
> That term was used to describe the division between Communist
> China and the west?

Bamboo Curtain

> 9. In 1954 a conference was held regarding the Korean peninsula and
> Southeast Asia. One on side were the US, France, and other
> western nations; on the other, the USSR, Communist China,
> and their allies. But what city hosted the conference?

Paris

> * Iconic Soviet Organizations
>
> These organizations may or may not still exist in Russia today,
> but in the Soviet era all of them were official state bodies.
> Name them.
>
> 10. All foreign tourists in Russia had to use what travel agency
> there?

Intourist

> 11. Russians used to joke that "In the Truth there is no news,
> and in the News there is no truth". If the "Truth" was "Pravda",
> what newspaper was the "News"?
>
> 12. What was the Soviets' official news agency?
>

> * Leaders of Countries
>
> What countries did the following people lead in the years indicated?
>
> 13. Tomas Masaryk, 1918-35?
> 14. Heng Samrin, 1981-92?
> 15. Ian Smith, 1964-79?

Southern Rhodesia

> ** Final, Round 6 - Canadiana
>
> * The Territories
>
> 1. Canada has 10 provinces and 3 territories. Name all the
> territories.

Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after completing the previous
> question. Gur pncvgny bs Ahanihg vf Vdnyhvg, ohg jung jnf vgf
> anzr sebz 1942 hagvy gur genqvgvbany anzr jnf erfgberq va 1987?

Frobisher Bay

> 3. The federal government has a ceremonial representative in each
> territory -- known by what title?
>

> * Confederation
>
> 4. Name the act passed in 1867 by the British Parliament providing
> for the confederation of Canada.

British North America Act

> 5. What were the four original provinces when Confederation was
> established in 1867?

Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario

> 6. Please decode the rot13 only after completing the previous
> question. Anzr gur Zbagerny ynjlre jub oebhtug Dhrorp vagb
> Pbasrqrengvba nf jryy nf artbgvngvat Pnanqn'f npdhvfvgvba bs
> Znavgbon, gur Abegu-Jrfg Greevgbevrf, naq Oevgvfu Pbyhzovn.
>

> * Early Days and Explorers
>
> 7. The remains of a Viking settlement in Newfoundland are now a
> World Heritage Site. What's the name of the place?

L'anse aux Meadows

> 8. Within 2 years, when did explorer Giovanni Caboto, who you might
> know better as John Cabot, arrive at what is now eastern Canada?

1497

> 9. The name Canada comes from the Iroquoian word "kanata", meaning
> "village". Who was the first explorer to hear the word?

Cartier

> * Aboriginal Peoples
>
> 10. Territorial rights in what is now Canada were first guaranteed
> to Indians, as they were called, through a proclamation in 1763
> by what British king?

George III

> 11. They were stil called Indians in 1982. In the language of the
> Constitution Act, 1982, the aboriginal peoples of Canada include
> the Indians, the Métis, and who else?

Eskimos

> 12. In what year did Canada apologize to aboriginal students who
> were forced to attend "residential schools"?

1984

> * Acquiring Canadian Citizenship
>
> 13. Within $20, what is the current fee for an adult to apply for
> Canadian citizenship?

$85

> 14. You must take a test if you apply for Canadian citizenship
> when you are at least 18 and at most what age?

70; 75

> 15. At the citizenship ceremony, a new Canadian citizen may either
> swear or affirm their allegiance. What is the difference?

'affirm' is for those people who don't swear oaths for religious reasons

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Blum

May 20, 2019, 8:43:40 AM5/20/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 4 - History

> * Ancient Rome

> 1. Which Roman emperor ordered the invasion of Britain in 43?

Claudius

> 2. In a significant action, what did Julius Caesar cross in 49 BC?

crossed the Rubicon

> 3. What collective name is used for the three wars fought between
> Rome and Carthage?

Punic Wars

> * Battles

> 4. Who did the Viet Minh defeat in 1954 at the Battle of Dien
> Bien Phu?

France

> 5. Which *two* countries fought the Battle of Rocroi in 1643?

Holy Roman Empire and Sweden; Holy Roman Empire and France

> 6. The Battle of Lepanto was a naval engagement which took place
> in 1571. The Venetian republic and the Spanish Empire inflected
> a major defeat on who?

Ottoman Empire

> * Cold War

> 7. Of the permitted crossing points between West and East Berlin
> after the Wall was constructed, one became the best known because
> non-Germans were allowed to use it. What name was given to it
> by the western allies?

Checkpoint Charlie

> 8. Winston Churchill came up with the term Iron Curtain to describe
> the boundary between western Europe and and Communist bloc.
> That term was used to describe the division between Communist
> China and the west?

Jade Wall; Porcelain Wall

> 9. In 1954 a conference was held regarding the Korean peninsula and
> Southeast Asia. One on side were the US, France, and other
> western nations; on the other, the USSR, Communist China,
> and their allies. But what city hosted the conference?

Vienna; Stockholm

> * Iconic Soviet Organizations

> 10. All foreign tourists in Russia had to use what travel agency
> there?

Tass

> 11. Russians used to joke that "In the Truth there is no news,
> and in the News there is no truth". If the "Truth" was "Pravda",
> what newspaper was the "News"?

Izvestia

> 12. What was the Soviets' official news agency?

Tass

> * Leaders of Countries

> What countries did the following people lead in the years indicated?

> 13. Tomas Masaryk, 1918-35?

Czechoslovakia; Yugoslavia

> 15. Ian Smith, 1964-79?

Rhodesia

> ** Final, Round 6 - Canadiana

> * The Territories

> 1. Canada has 10 provinces and 3 territories. Name all the
> territories.

Yukon, Nunavut, and Iqlauit

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after completing the previous
> question. Gur pncvgny bs Ahanihg vf Vdnyhvg, ohg jung jnf vgf
> anzr sebz 1942 hagvy gur genqvgvbany anzr jnf erfgberq va 1987?

Whitehorse; Yellowknife

> * Confederation

> 4. Name the act passed in 1867 by the British Parliament providing
> for the confederation of Canada.

Dominion Act

> 5. What were the four original provinces when Confederation was
> established in 1867?

Ontario, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island

> * Early Days and Explorers

> 7. The remains of a Viking settlement in Newfoundland are now a
> World Heritage Site. What's the name of the place?

L'Anse aux Meadows

> 8. Within 2 years, when did explorer Giovanni Caboto, who you might
> know better as John Cabot, arrive at what is now eastern Canada?

1585

> 9. The name Canada comes from the Iroquoian word "kanata", meaning
> "village". Who was the first explorer to hear the word?

Champlain; Hudson

> * Aboriginal Peoples

> 10. Territorial rights in what is now Canada were first guaranteed
> to Indians, as they were called, through a proclamation in 1763
> by what British king?

George III

> 11. They were stil called Indians in 1982. In the language of the
> Constitution Act, 1982, the aboriginal peoples of Canada include
> the Indians, the M?tis, and who else?

Inuits

> 12. In what year did Canada apologize to aboriginal students who
> were forced to attend "residential schools"?

1995; 2000

> * Acquiring Canadian Citizenship

> 14. You must take a test if you apply for Canadian citizenship
> when you are at least 18 and at most what age?

65

> 15. At the citizenship ceremony, a new Canadian citizen may either
> swear or affirm their allegiance. What is the difference?

swearing is done on a religious item

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Pete Gayde

May 20, 2019, 2:00:49 PM5/20/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:_pudndxHRqLkp3_BnZ2dnUU7-
I_N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-04-09,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Cellar Rats and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 4 - History
>
> * Ancient Rome
>
> 1. Which Roman emperor ordered the invasion of Britain in 43?

Hadrian

> 2. In a significant action, what did Julius Caesar cross in 49 BC?

Rubicon; Alps

> 3. What collective name is used for the three wars fought between
> Rome and Carthage?

Punic

> * Battles
>
> 4. Who did the Viet Minh defeat in 1954 at the Battle of Dien
> Bien Phu?

France

> 5. Which *two* countries fought the Battle of Rocroi in 1643?
>
> 6. The Battle of Lepanto was a naval engagement which took place
> in 1571. The Venetian republic and the Spanish Empire inflected
> a major defeat on who?

Ottoman Empire

> * Cold War
>
> 7. Of the permitted crossing points between West and East Berlin
> after the Wall was constructed, one became the best known because
> non-Germans were allowed to use it. What name was given to it
> by the western allies?

Checkpoint Charlie

> 8. Winston Churchill came up with the term Iron Curtain to describe
> the boundary between western Europe and and Communist bloc.
> That term was used to describe the division between Communist
> China and the west?

Bamboo curtain

> 9. In 1954 a conference was held regarding the Korean peninsula and
> Southeast Asia. One on side were the US, France, and other
> western nations; on the other, the USSR, Communist China,
> and their allies. But what city hosted the conference?

Singapore; Manila

> * Iconic Soviet Organizations
>
> These organizations may or may not still exist in Russia today,
> but in the Soviet era all of them were official state bodies.
> Name them.
>
> 10. All foreign tourists in Russia had to use what travel agency
> there?

Movintour; Mostour

> 11. Russians used to joke that "In the Truth there is no news,
> and in the News there is no truth". If the "Truth" was "Pravda",
> what newspaper was the "News"?

Izvestia

> 12. What was the Soviets' official news agency?

Tass

> * Leaders of Countries
>
> What countries did the following people lead in the years indicated?
>
> 13. Tomas Masaryk, 1918-35?

Poland

> 14. Heng Samrin, 1981-92?

South Korea

> 15. Ian Smith, 1964-79?

Australia; South Africa

> ** Final, Round 6 - Canadiana
>
> * The Territories
>
> 1. Canada has 10 provinces and 3 territories. Name all the
> territories.

Yukon, Northwest, Nuunavut

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after completing the previous
> question. Gur pncvgny bs Ahanihg vf Vdnyhvg, ohg jung jnf vgf
> anzr sebz 1942 hagvy gur genqvgvbany anzr jnf erfgberq va 1987?
>
> 3. The federal government has a ceremonial representative in each
> territory -- known by what title?

Governor-general

> * Confederation
>
> 4. Name the act passed in 1867 by the British Parliament providing
> for the confederation of Canada.
>
> 5. What were the four original provinces when Confederation was
> established in 1867?

Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island

> 6. Please decode the rot13 only after completing the previous
> question. Anzr gur Zbagerny ynjlre jub oebhtug Dhrorp vagb
> Pbasrqrengvba nf jryy nf artbgvngvat Pnanqn'f npdhvfvgvba bs
> Znavgbon, gur Abegu-Jrfg Greevgbevrf, naq Oevgvfu Pbyhzovn.
>

> * Early Days and Explorers
>
> 7. The remains of a Viking settlement in Newfoundland are now a
> World Heritage Site. What's the name of the place?
>
> 8. Within 2 years, when did explorer Giovanni Caboto, who you might
> know better as John Cabot, arrive at what is now eastern Canada?

1550; 1560

> 9. The name Canada comes from the Iroquoian word "kanata", meaning
> "village". Who was the first explorer to hear the word?

Marquette; Joliet

> * Aboriginal Peoples
>
> 10. Territorial rights in what is now Canada were first guaranteed
> to Indians, as they were called, through a proclamation in 1763
> by what British king?

George III

> 11. They were stil called Indians in 1982. In the language of the
> Constitution Act, 1982, the aboriginal peoples of Canada include
> the Indians, the Métis, and who else?
>
> 12. In what year did Canada apologize to aboriginal students who
> were forced to attend "residential schools"?

2000; 1995

> * Acquiring Canadian Citizenship
>
> 13. Within $20, what is the current fee for an adult to apply for
> Canadian citizenship?

$100; $121

> 14. You must take a test if you apply for Canadian citizenship
> when you are at least 18 and at most what age?

65; 60

> 15. At the citizenship ceremony, a new Canadian citizen may either
> swear or affirm their allegiance. What is the difference?

Pete Gayde

Erland Sommarskog

May 20, 2019, 5:28:20 PM5/20/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> ** Final, Round 4 - History
>
> * Ancient Rome
>
> 1. Which Roman emperor ordered the invasion of Britain in 43?

Tiberius

> 2. In a significant action, what did Julius Caesar cross in 49 BC?

Rubicon

> 3. What collective name is used for the three wars fought between
> Rome and Carthage?

Punic

> 6. The Battle of Lepanto was a naval engagement which took place
> in 1571. The Venetian republic and the Spanish Empire inflected
> a major defeat on who?

Ottoman Empire

> * Cold War
>
> 7. Of the permitted crossing points between West and East Berlin
> after the Wall was constructed, one became the best known because
> non-Germans were allowed to use it. What name was given to it
> by the western allies?

Checkpoint Charlie

> 8. Winston Churchill came up with the term Iron Curtain to describe
> the boundary between western Europe and and Communist bloc.
> That term was used to describe the division between Communist
> China and the west?

Bamboo curtain

> 9. In 1954 a conference was held regarding the Korean peninsula and
> Southeast Asia. One on side were the US, France, and other
> western nations; on the other, the USSR, Communist China,
> and their allies. But what city hosted the conference?

Manila

> 10. All foreign tourists in Russia had to use what travel agency
> there?

Intourist

> 11. Russians used to joke that "In the Truth there is no news,
> and in the News there is no truth". If the "Truth" was "Pravda",
> what newspaper was the "News"?

Izvestia

> 12. What was the Soviets' official news agency?

TASS

> 13. Tomas Masaryk, 1918-35?

Czechoslovakia

> 14. Heng Samrin, 1981-92?

Cambodia

> 15. Ian Smith, 1964-79?

Rhodesia

> ** Final, Round 6 - Canadiana
>
> * The Territories
>
> 1. Canada has 10 provinces and 3 territories. Name all the
> territories.

Yukon, Northwest, Nunavuk

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after completing the previous
> question. Gur pncvgny bs Ahanihg vf Vdnyhvg, ohg jung jnf vgf
> anzr sebz 1942 hagvy gur genqvgvbany anzr jnf erfgberq va 1987?

Churchill

> 5. What were the four original provinces when Confederation was
> established in 1867?

Ontario, Québec, Novia Scotia, New Brunswick

> 11. They were stil called Indians in 1982. In the language of the
> Constitution Act, 1982, the aboriginal peoples of Canada include
> the Indians, the Métis, and who else?

Inuit

> 13. Within $20, what is the current fee for an adult to apply for
> Canadian citizenship?

420

> 14. You must take a test if you apply for Canadian citizenship
> when you are at least 18 and at most what age?

75

Calvin

May 21, 2019, 8:23:32 PM5/21/19
On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 3:26:22 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 4 - History
>
> * Ancient Rome
>
> 1. Which Roman emperor ordered the invasion of Britain in 43?

Augustus, Claudius

> 2. In a significant action, what did Julius Caesar cross in 49 BC?

The Rubicon

> 3. What collective name is used for the three wars fought between
> Rome and Carthage?

Punic

> * Battles
>
> 4. Who did the Viet Minh defeat in 1954 at the Battle of Dien
> Bien Phu?

The French

> 5. Which *two* countries fought the Battle of Rocroi in 1643?
>
> 6. The Battle of Lepanto was a naval engagement which took place
> in 1571. The Venetian republic and the Spanish Empire inflected
> a major defeat on who?

Ottomans

> * Cold War
>
> 7. Of the permitted crossing points between West and East Berlin
> after the Wall was constructed, one became the best known because
> non-Germans were allowed to use it. What name was given to it
> by the western allies?

Checkpoint Charlie

> 8. Winston Churchill came up with the term Iron Curtain to describe
> the boundary between western Europe and and Communist bloc.
> That term was used to describe the division between Communist
> China and the west?

Bamboo Curtain

> 9. In 1954 a conference was held regarding the Korean peninsula and
> Southeast Asia. One on side were the US, France, and other
> western nations; on the other, the USSR, Communist China,
> and their allies. But what city hosted the conference?
>

> * Iconic Soviet Organizations
>
> These organizations may or may not still exist in Russia today,
> but in the Soviet era all of them were official state bodies.
> Name them.
>
> 10. All foreign tourists in Russia had to use what travel agency
> there?
>
> 11. Russians used to joke that "In the Truth there is no news,
> and in the News there is no truth". If the "Truth" was "Pravda",
> what newspaper was the "News"?
>
> 12. What was the Soviets' official news agency?

TASS

> * Leaders of Countries
>
> What countries did the following people lead in the years indicated?
>
> 13. Tomas Masaryk, 1918-35?

Hungary

> 14. Heng Samrin, 1981-92?
> 15. Ian Smith, 1964-79?

Rhodesia

> ** Final, Round 6 - Canadiana
>
> * The Territories
>
> 1. Canada has 10 provinces and 3 territories. Name all the
> territories.

Yukon
Iqualit
North-West Territories

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after completing the previous
> question. Gur pncvgny bs Ahanihg vf Vdnyhvg, ohg jung jnf vgf
> anzr sebz 1942 hagvy gur genqvgvbany anzr jnf erfgberq va 1987?
>
> 3. The federal government has a ceremonial representative in each
> territory -- known by what title?

Governor?

> * Confederation
>
> 4. Name the act passed in 1867 by the British Parliament providing
> for the confederation of Canada.
>
> 5. What were the four original provinces when Confederation was
> established in 1867?
>
> 6. Please decode the rot13 only after completing the previous
> question. Anzr gur Zbagerny ynjlre jub oebhtug Dhrorp vagb
> Pbasrqrengvba nf jryy nf artbgvngvat Pnanqn'f npdhvfvgvba bs
> Znavgbon, gur Abegu-Jrfg Greevgbevrf, naq Oevgvfu Pbyhzovn.
>

> * Early Days and Explorers
>
> 7. The remains of a Viking settlement in Newfoundland are now a
> World Heritage Site. What's the name of the place?
>
> 8. Within 2 years, when did explorer Giovanni Caboto, who you might
> know better as John Cabot, arrive at what is now eastern Canada?
>
> 9. The name Canada comes from the Iroquoian word "kanata", meaning
> "village". Who was the first explorer to hear the word?
>

> * Aboriginal Peoples
>
> 10. Territorial rights in what is now Canada were first guaranteed
> to Indians, as they were called, through a proclamation in 1763
> by what British king?

George III

> 11. They were stil called Indians in 1982. In the language of the
> Constitution Act, 1982, the aboriginal peoples of Canada include
> the Indians, the Métis, and who else?
>
> 12. In what year did Canada apologize to aboriginal students who
> were forced to attend "residential schools"?
>

> * Acquiring Canadian Citizenship
>
> 13. Within $20, what is the current fee for an adult to apply for
> Canadian citizenship?
>
> 14. You must take a test if you apply for Canadian citizenship
> when you are at least 18 and at most what age?
>
> 15. At the citizenship ceremony, a new Canadian citizen may either
> swear or affirm their allegiance. What is the difference?

Does the swearing happen on the Bible while the affirmation doesn't?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

May 23, 2019, 12:32:21 AM5/23/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-04-09,
> see my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

In case you wondered why the Subject line said "Rounds 4-6" and not
"Rounds 4,6" and yet you didn't get a Round 5, it's because there
*was* no Round 5 in the original game: the audio round was canceled
due to technical difficulties. It was a 9-round Final for a 9-game
season.

> ** Final, Round 4 - History

This round was the easiest in the original game.

> * Ancient Rome

> 1. Which Roman emperor ordered the invasion of Britain in 43?

Claudius. 4 for Dan Tilque and Dan Blum. 2 for Joshua and Calvin.

> 2. In a significant action, what did Julius Caesar cross in 49 BC?

The border of Italy, namely the Rubicon river. With his army, which
was not allowed into Italy. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
Erland, and Calvin. 3 for Pete.

> 3. What collective name is used for the three wars fought between
> Rome and Carthage?

Punic Wars. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Pete,
Erland, and Calvin.

> * Battles

> 4. Who did the Viet Minh defeat in 1954 at the Battle of Dien
> Bien Phu?

France. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Pete, and Calvin.

> 5. Which *two* countries fought the Battle of Rocroi in 1643?

France (yes, again), Spain.

> 6. The Battle of Lepanto was a naval engagement which took place
> in 1571. The Venetian republic and the Spanish Empire inflected
> a major defeat on who?

Ottoman Empire. 4 for everyone.

> * Cold War

> 7. Of the permitted crossing points between West and East Berlin
> after the Wall was constructed, one became the best known because
> non-Germans were allowed to use it. What name was given to it
> by the western allies?

Checkpoint Charlie. 4 for everyone.

> 8. Winston Churchill came up with the term Iron Curtain to describe
> the boundary between western Europe and and Communist bloc.
> That term was used to describe the division between Communist
> China and the west?

Bamboo Curtain. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Pete, Erland, and Calvin.

> 9. In 1954 a conference was held regarding the Korean peninsula and
> Southeast Asia. One on side were the US, France, and other
> western nations; on the other, the USSR, Communist China,
> and their allies. But what city hosted the conference?

Geneva.

> * Iconic Soviet Organizations

> These organizations may or may not still exist in Russia today,
> but in the Soviet era all of them were official state bodies.
> Name them.

> 10. All foreign tourists in Russia had to use what travel agency
> there?

Intourist. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Erland.

> 11. Russians used to joke that "In the Truth there is no news,
> and in the News there is no truth". If the "Truth" was "Pravda",
> what newspaper was the "News"?

Izvestia. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Erland.

> 12. What was the Soviets' official news agency?

TASS (Telegrafnoye Agentstvo Sovyetskovo Soyuza). 4 for Joshua,
Dan Blum, Pete, Erland, and Calvin.

> * Leaders of Countries

> What countries did the following people lead in the years indicated?

> 13. Tomas Masaryk, 1918-35?

Czechoslovakia. 4 for Joshua and Erland. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 14. Heng Samrin, 1981-92?

Cambodia. 4 for Joshua and Erland.

> 15. Ian Smith, 1964-79?

Rhodesia (accepting Southern Rhodesia or Zimbabwe). 4 for Joshua,
Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Erland, and Calvin.

> ** Final, Round 6 - Canadiana

> * The Territories

> 1. Canada has 10 provinces and 3 territories. Name all the
> territories.

Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Yukon, duh. 4 for Joshua
and Dan Tilque. 3 for Pete and Erland.

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after completing the previous
> question. The capital of Nunavut is Iqaluit, but what was its
> name from 1942 until the traditional name was restored in 1987?

Frobisher Bay. 4 for Dan Tilque. 3 for Joshua.

> 3. The federal government has a ceremonial representative in each
> territory -- known by what title?

Commissioner.

> * Confederation

> 4. Name the act passed in 1867 by the British Parliament providing
> for the confederation of Canada.

British North America Act, duh. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> 5. What were the four original provinces when Confederation was
> established in 1867?

Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, duh. 4 for Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Erland.

The conference where the arrangements for Confderation were more or
less finalized was held in P.E.I., but then they decided not to join
at that time.

> 6. Please decode the rot13 only after completing the previous
> question. Name the Montreal lawyer who brought Quebec into
> Confederation as well as negotiating Canada's acquisition of
> Manitoba, the North-West Territories, and British Columbia.

Sir George-Étienne Cartier. (Think Highway 401. If Wikipedia is
correct, he was "George" and not "Georges" because he was named
after King George III.)

> * Early Days and Explorers

> 7. The remains of a Viking settlement in Newfoundland are now a
> World Heritage Site. What's the name of the place?

L'Anse aux Meadows. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> 8. Within 2 years, when did explorer Giovanni Caboto, who you might
> know better as John Cabot, arrive at what is now eastern Canada?

1497 (accepting 1495-1499). 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 9. The name Canada comes from the Iroquoian word "kanata", meaning
> "village". Who was the first explorer to hear the word?

Jacques Cartier. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

It isn't known for sure whether the two Cartiers in this round
were related, but Sir George-Étienne claimed they were.

> * Aboriginal Peoples

> 10. Territorial rights in what is now Canada were first guaranteed
> to Indians, as they were called, through a proclamation in 1763
> by what British king?

George III. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Pete, and Calvin.

> 11. They were stil called Indians in 1982. In the language of the
> Constitution Act, 1982, the aboriginal peoples of Canada include
> the Indians, the Métis, and who else?

Inuit. (It's a plural. I scored "Inuits" as almost correct.)
4 for Joshua and Erland. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 12. In what year did Canada apologize to aboriginal students who
> were forced to attend "residential schools"?

2008.

> * Acquiring Canadian Citizenship

> 13. Within $20, what is the current fee for an adult to apply for
> Canadian citizenship?

$630 (accepting $610-$650). Erland came closest but was still off
by more than $200.

That's $100 for citizenship (refunded if your application is refused)
and $530 for proessing the application. Curiously, no tax is charged
on top of these amounts.

> 14. You must take a test if you apply for Canadian citizenship
> when you are at least 18 and at most what age?

54. No, I don't know why.

> 15. At the citizenship ceremony, a new Canadian citizen may either
> swear or affirm their allegiance. What is the difference?

Swearing involves religion; affirmation doesn't. 4 for Joshua,
Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Calvin.

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Geo Sci His Can
Joshua Kreitzer 35 28 50 35 148
Dan Tilque 34 40 36 36 146
Dan Blum 32 44 39 15 130
Erland Sommarskog 27 24 44 11 106
"Calvin" 16 31 34 8 89
Pete Gayde 13 18 31 7 69

--
Mark Brader | "Do I look stupid?"
Toronto | "Yes, actually, a little. It's one of your