Calvin's Quiz #612

Calvin

Sep 24, 2020, 4:51:49 PM9/24/20

1 Which Hollywood legend (1908-1997) reached the rank of Brigadier-General in the US Army Reserve?
2 What strait separates Chile from Tierra Del Fuego?
3 Ethnic tensions, the Chernobyl nuclear plant incident, and Ronald Reagan's Star Wars defence plan have all been cited as catalysts for which historic 1991 event?
4 The equivalent of the Olympic Torch, which item is relayed from Buckingham Palace to the host city for the opening ceremony for each Commonwealth Games?
5 Who directed the 1994 film Natural Born Killers?
6 In basketball, which class of turnovers includes double-dribbles, travels and exceeding the shot clock? They usually result in a loss of possession but, unlike a foul, not free throws.
7 The first Paralympic Games (i.e. no longer restricted solely to war veterans) took place at which Summer Olympics? [Year or city]
8 Aeroplanes that have been specifically fitted to transport racehorses around the world have, inevitably, been given what three-word nickname?
9 What was the maiden name of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall (i.e. prior to her first marriage to Andrew Parker-Bowles)?
10 Which versatile actress and performer (b. 1984) was the world's highest-paid actress in both 2018 and 2019?

cheers,
calvin

Dan Blum

Sep 24, 2020, 5:55:08 PM9/24/20
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 Which Hollywood legend (1908-1997) reached the rank of Brigadier-General in the US Army Reserve?

Jimmy Stewart

> 2 What strait separates Chile from Tierra Del Fuego?

Strait of Magellan

> 3 Ethnic tensions, the Chernobyl nuclear plant incident, and Ronald Reagan's Star Wars defence plan have all been cited as catalysts for which historic 1991 event?

dissolution of the Soviet Union

> 5 Who directed the 1994 film Natural Born Killers?

Oliver Stone

> 7 The first Paralympic Games (i.e. no longer restricted solely to war veterans) took place at which Summer Olympics? [Year or city]

1976

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Pete Gayde

Sep 24, 2020, 10:53:32 PM9/24/20
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Which Hollywood legend (1908-1997) reached the rank of
> Brigadier-General in the US Army Reserve?

Jimmy Stewart

> 2 What strait separates Chile from Tierra Del Fuego?

Strait of Magellan

> 3 Ethnic tensions, the Chernobyl
> nuclear plant incident, and Ronald Reagan's Star Wars defence plan
> have all been cited as catalysts for which historic 1991 event?
> 4 The equivalent of the Olympic Torch, which item is relayed from
> Buckingham Palace to the host city for the opening ceremony for each
> Commonwealth Games?
> 5 Who directed the 1994 film Natural Born Killers?

Wes Craven

> 6 In basketball, which class of turnovers includes
> double-dribbles, travels and exceeding the shot clock? They usually
> result in a loss of possession but, unlike a foul, not free throws.

Offensive

> 7 The first Paralympic Games (i.e. no longer restricted solely to
> war veterans) took place at which Summer Olympics? [Year or city]

Sydney

> 8 Aeroplanes that have been specifically fitted to transport
> racehorses around the world have, inevitably, been given what
> three-word nickname?
> 9 What was the maiden name of Camilla,
> Duchess of Cornwall (i.e. prior to her first marriage to Andrew
> Parker-Bowles)?
> 10 Which versatile actress and performer (b. 1984)
> was the world's highest-paid actress in both 2018 and 2019?
>
> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Sep 24, 2020, 11:41:32 PM9/24/20
"Calvin":
> 1 Which Hollywood legend (1908-1997) reached the rank of
> Brigadier-General in the US Army Reserve?

Stewart.

> 2 What strait separates Chile from Tierra Del Fuego?

Strait of Magellan.

> 3 Ethnic tensions, the Chernobyl nuclear plant incident, and
> Ronald Reagan's Star Wars defence plan have all been cited as
> catalysts for which historic 1991 event?

Breakup of the USSR.

> 4 The equivalent of the Olympic Torch, which item is relayed
> from Buckingham Palace to the host city for the opening ceremony
> for each Commonwealth Games?
> 5 Who directed the 1994 film Natural Born Killers?
> 6 In basketball, which class of turnovers includes
> double-dribbles, travels and exceeding the shot clock? They
> usually result in a loss of possession but, unlike a foul, not
> free throws.
> 7 The first Paralympic Games (i.e. no longer restricted solely
> to war veterans) took place at which Summer Olympics? [Year or
> city]

1960?

> 8 Aeroplanes that have been specifically fitted to transport
> racehorses around the world have, inevitably, been given what
> three-word nickname?
> 9 What was the maiden name of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall (i.e.
> prior to her first marriage to Andrew Parker-Bowles)?
> 10 Which versatile actress and performer (b. 1984) was the
> world's highest-paid actress in both 2018 and 2019?

Stone?
--
Mark Brader "I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to
Toronto work in a group when you're omnipotent."

Dan Tilque

Sep 25, 2020, 5:39:18 AM9/25/20
On 9/24/20 1:51 PM, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which Hollywood legend (1908-1997) reached the rank of Brigadier-General in the US Army Reserve?

James Stewart

> 2 What strait separates Chile from Tierra Del Fuego?

Stairts of Magellon

> 3 Ethnic tensions, the Chernobyl nuclear plant incident, and Ronald Reagan's Star Wars defence plan have all been cited as catalysts for which historic 1991 event?

dissolution of the Soviet Union

> 4 The equivalent of the Olympic Torch, which item is relayed from Buckingham Palace to the host city for the opening ceremony for each Commonwealth Games?
> 5 Who directed the 1994 film Natural Born Killers?
> 6 In basketball, which class of turnovers includes double-dribbles, travels and exceeding the shot clock? They usually result in a loss of possession but, unlike a foul, not free throws.
> 7 The first Paralympic Games (i.e. no longer restricted solely to war veterans) took place at which Summer Olympics? [Year or city]

1980

> 8 Aeroplanes that have been specifically fitted to transport racehorses around the world have, inevitably, been given what three-word nickname?
> 9 What was the maiden name of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall (i.e. prior to her first marriage to Andrew Parker-Bowles)?
> 10 Which versatile actress and performer (b. 1984) was the world's highest-paid actress in both 2018 and 2019?

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 25, 2020, 2:00:50 PM9/25/20
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 2 What strait separates Chile from Tierra Del Fuego?

Could that be the same strait that separates Australia from Tasmania? :-)

Both the Beagle Canal and the Magellean Strait fits the bill. I guess
you want the latter, since that is the water between continental Chile
and the part of Chile that is on Tierra del Fuego.

(I seem to recall that in one of my recent quizzes where I gave four
islands with a border on them, and one without, Calvin went for
Tierra del Fuego. Well, at least he did not ask which water that
separates Argentina from Tierra del Fuego.)

> 3 Ethnic tensions, the Chernobyl nuclear plant incident, and Ronald
> Reagan's Star Wars defence plan have all been cited as catalysts for
> which historic 1991 event?

The dissolution of the USSR.

("The biggest geopolitical disaster of the 20th century", Putin said. As
if there was not also the British Empire, the French colonial holdings,
Austria-Hungary's disintegration. One can even argue that the reduction
of the Ottoman Empire was more severe.)

> 5 Who directed the 1994 film Natural Born Killers?

Tarantino

> 7 The first Paralympic Games (i.e. no longer restricted solely to
> war veterans) took place at which Summer Olympics? [Year or city]

1972

Mark Brader

Sep 25, 2020, 3:28:50 PM9/25/20
Erland Sommarskog:
> The dissolution of the USSR.
>
> ("The biggest geopolitical disaster of the 20th century", Putin said. As
> if there was not also the British Empire, the French colonial holdings,
> Austria-Hungary's disintegration. One can even argue that the reduction
> of the Ottoman Empire was more severe.)

Presumably, from the Russian point of view those events were not disasters.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "You'd have to be crazy as a loon to take
m...@vex.net | metaphors too literally." --Tony Cooper

Calvin

Oct 3, 2020, 5:46:28 AM10/3/20
On Friday, September 25, 2020 at 6:51:49 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which Hollywood legend (1908-1997) reached the rank of Brigadier-General in the US Army Reserve?

James Stewart

> 2 What strait separates Chile from Tierra Del Fuego?

Magellan

> 3 Ethnic tensions, the Chernobyl nuclear plant incident, and Ronald Reagan's Star Wars defence plan have all been cited as catalysts for which historic 1991 event?

Dissolution of the USSR

> 4 The equivalent of the Olympic Torch, which item is relayed from Buckingham Palace to the host city for the opening ceremony for each Commonwealth Games?

Queen's' baton

> 5 Who directed the 1994 film Natural Born Killers?

Oliver Stone
Singleton for Dan B

> 6 In basketball, which class of turnovers includes double-dribbles, travels and exceeding the shot clock? They usually result in a loss of possession but, unlike a foul, not free throws.

Violations

> 7 The first Paralympic Games (i.e. no longer restricted solely to war veterans) took place at which Summer Olympics? [Year or city]

Rome / 1960
Singleton for Mark

> 8 Aeroplanes that have been specifically fitted to transport racehorses around the world have, inevitably, been given what three-word nickname?

Air Horse One

> 9 What was the maiden name of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall (i.e. prior to her first marriage to Andrew Parker-Bowles)?

Shand

> 10 Which versatile actress and performer (b. 1984) was the world's highest-paid actress in both 2018 and 2019?

Scarlett Johansson

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 612
1 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 4 14 Mark Brader
1 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 4 14 Dan Blum
1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 13 Dan Tilque
1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 9 Pete Gayde
0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 9 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
4 5 4 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 15 30%

Well that was pretty brutal. Congratulations to Mark and Dan B.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Oct 3, 2020, 4:10:43 PM10/3/20
"Calvin":
> > 7 The first Paralympic Games (i.e. no longer restricted solely to war
> veterans) took place at which Summer Olympics? [Year or city]
>
> Rome / 1960
> Singleton for Mark

Oh! Lucky guess, that was.

> > 8 Aeroplanes that have been specifically fitted to transport
> racehorses around the world have, inevitably, been given what three-word
> nickname?
>
> Air Horse One

So inevitable that none of us got it -- but still I agree. Nice one.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Close your tag and give it a rest, Jason"
m...@vex.net | --FoxTrot (Bill Amend)

Calvin

Oct 3, 2020, 4:55:03 PM10/3/20
On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 6:10:43 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> "Calvin":

> > > 8 Aeroplanes that have been specifically fitted to transport
> > racehorses around the world have, inevitably, been given what three-word
> > nickname?
> >
> > Air Horse One
> So inevitable that none of us got it

That word is there to flag that the answer can be worked out even with no prior acquaintance.

>>-- but still I agree. Nice one.

Thanks. I rather liked it myself :-)

cheers,
calvin