Rotating Quiz #168 Sounds Better in French

Dan Blum

Jan 30, 2015, 9:54:11 AM1/30/15
This is Rotating Quiz 168. Entries must be posted by Friday,
February 6th, 2015 at 10 PM (Eastern Standard Time).

Usual rules: no looking anything up, no discussion, etc. The
winner gets to create the next RQ.

Please post your answers to all questions in a single followup
in the newsgroup, quoting the questions and placing your answer
below each one. Only one answer is allowed per question.

For this quiz I have again sacrificed originality to expediency,
so this may seem somewhat familiar. The scoring will also seem
familiar when it happens.

In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be whoever scored
the most points on the hardest questions (defined post-facto
as the ones which the fewest people got any points on). Second
tiebreaker will be posting order.

1. This man is probably best-known today as an explorer of the
American West. However, he also served in the military in the
Mexican-American War and American Civil War, commanding the
Department of the West early in the latter. He was involved in
controversy in both cases. He was also one of the first two
senators elected from California and was the first Republican
candidate for president.

2. For the love of God, tell me what kind of sherry features
prominently in a story by Edgar Allan Poe.

3. This British possession in the Caribbean used to be a
desination for tourists and, after George Martin established
a recording studio there, musicians. However, in 1989 Hurricane
Hugo destroyed the studio and lots of other things. Then in 1995
a large volcanic eruption (followed by other smaller ones)
turned more than half of the island into an uninhabited and
little-visited "exclusion zone."

4. This US state is one of just four that used to be sovereign
nations, and the only one of those that fits the theme. It used
to be the state that had the highest percentage of its population
living in rural areas, but in the 2010 census it is a very close
second place: 61.1%, with the "winner" at 61.34% (third place is
far behind at 51.28%).

5. This US television network only operated from 1946-56, so it
is not well-known today, but they had some popular and influential
programs including Cavalcade of Stars (The Honeymooners started
as a series of sketches there), Captain Video and His Video Rangers,
The Morey Amsterdam Show, Ted Mack's The Original Amateur Hour, and
The Ernie Kovacs Show. It was the first network to have shows
starring an Asian American and an African American woman.

6. One of the main characters in Laclos' Les Liaisons dangereuses.
He has been portrayed by John Malkovich and Colin Firth, among
others.

7. Switzerland is not usually associated with jazz (at least by
me, and it's my quiz), but the second-largest annual jazz festival
in the world is held in this town on Lake Geneva.

8. And while we're on the subject, the largest annual jazz festival
is held in a much larger city which also fits the theme of this quiz.

9. Jazz festivals are usually pretty peaceful. Rock festivals are
sometimes less so, particularly this infamous 1969 event at which
one person was killed, several others died in accidents, and a lot
of people suffered injuries. The documentary Gimme Shelter, which
covers the Rolling Stones' 1969 US tour, includes much footage shot
there.

10. The de facto (and in the 19th century de jure) capital of the
Kingdom of Sardinia for much of its history was Turin. Turin is
of course not on Sardinia, but in this northwestern region of Italy,
which like Sardinia was controlled by the House of Savoy. The region
is today one of the official 20 regions of Italy (not with its precise
earlier borders); it is the second-largest in area (after Sicily).

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 30, 2015, 11:41:40 AM1/30/15
Dan Blum (to...@panix.com) writes:
> 1. This man is probably best-known today as an explorer of the
> American West. However, he also served in the military in the
> Mexican-American War and American Civil War, commanding the
> Department of the West early in the latter. He was involved in
> controversy in both cases. He was also one of the first two
> senators elected from California and was the first Republican
> candidate for president.

Stonemont

> 2. For the love of God, tell me what kind of sherry features
> prominently in a story by Edgar Allan Poe.

Amontillado (Thanks, Alan Parsons!)

> 3. This British possession in the Caribbean used to be a
> desination for tourists and, after George Martin established
> a recording studio there, musicians. However, in 1989 Hurricane
> Hugo destroyed the studio and lots of other things. Then in 1995
> a large volcanic eruption (followed by other smaller ones)
> turned more than half of the island into an uninhabited and
> little-visited "exclusion zone."

Montserrat

> 4. This US state is one of just four that used to be sovereign
> nations, and the only one of those that fits the theme. It used
> to be the state that had the highest percentage of its population
> living in rural areas, but in the 2010 census it is a very close
> second place: 61.1%, with the "winner" at 61.34% (third place is
> far behind at 51.28%).

Vermont

> 5. This US television network only operated from 1946-56, so it
> is not well-known today, but they had some popular and influential
> programs including Cavalcade of Stars (The Honeymooners started
> as a series of sketches there), Captain Video and His Video Rangers,
> The Morey Amsterdam Show, Ted Mack's The Original Amateur Hour, and
> The Ernie Kovacs Show. It was the first network to have shows
> starring an Asian American and an African American woman.

The Full Monty

> 6. One of the main characters in Laclos' Les Liaisons dangereuses.
> He has been portrayed by John Malkovich and Colin Firth, among
> others.

Valmont

> 7. Switzerland is not usually associated with jazz (at least by
> me, and it's my quiz), but the second-largest annual jazz festival
> in the world is held in this town on Lake Geneva.

Montreux

> 8. And while we're on the subject, the largest annual jazz festival
> is held in a much larger city which also fits the theme of this quiz.

Montréal

> 9. Jazz festivals are usually pretty peaceful. Rock festivals are
> sometimes less so, particularly this infamous 1969 event at which
> one person was killed, several others died in accidents, and a lot
> of people suffered injuries. The documentary Gimme Shelter, which
> covers the Rolling Stones' 1969 US tour, includes much footage shot
> there.

Monterrery

> 10. The de facto (and in the 19th century de jure) capital of the
> Kingdom of Sardinia for much of its history was Turin. Turin is
> of course not on Sardinia, but in this northwestern region of Italy,
> which like Sardinia was controlled by the House of Savoy. The region
> is today one of the official 20 regions of Italy (not with its precise
> earlier borders); it is the second-largest in area (after Sicily).

Piemonte

Mark Brader

Jan 30, 2015, 2:30:54 PM1/30/15
Dan Blum:
> 1. This man is probably best-known today as an explorer of the
> American West. However, he also served in the military in the
> Mexican-American War and American Civil War, commanding the
> Department of the West early in the latter. He was involved in
> controversy in both cases. He was also one of the first two
> senators elected from California and was the first Republican
> candidate for president.

Fremont?

> 2. For the love of God, tell me what kind of sherry features
> prominently in a story by Edgar Allan Poe.

Amontillado (I think, but that sounds Spanish).

> 4. This US state is one of just four that used to be sovereign
> nations, and the only one of those that fits the theme. It used
> to be the state that had the highest percentage of its population
> living in rural areas, but in the 2010 census it is a very close
> second place: 61.1%, with the "winner" at 61.34% (third place is
> far behind at 51.28%).

Vermont.

Counting California to get to four is dubious.

> 5. This US television network only operated from 1946-56, so it
> is not well-known today, but they had some popular and influential
> programs including Cavalcade of Stars (The Honeymooners started
> as a series of sketches there), Captain Video and His Video Rangers,
> The Morey Amsterdam Show, Ted Mack's The Original Amateur Hour, and
> The Ernie Kovacs Show. It was the first network to have shows
> starring an Asian American and an African American woman.

Dumont.

> 7. Switzerland is not usually associated with jazz (at least by
> me, and it's my quiz), but the second-largest annual jazz festival
> in the world is held in this town on Lake Geneva.

Montreux.

> 8. And while we're on the subject, the largest annual jazz festival
> is held in a much larger city which also fits the theme of this quiz.

New Orleans, I suppose.

> 10. The de facto (and in the 19th century de jure) capital of the
> Kingdom of Sardinia for much of its history was Turin. Turin is
> of course not on Sardinia, but in this northwestern region of Italy,
> which like Sardinia was controlled by the House of Savoy. The region
> is today one of the official 20 regions of Italy (not with its precise
> earlier borders); it is the second-largest in area (after Sicily).

Piedmont.

--
Mark Brader | "Oh, sure, you can make anything sound sleazy if you,
Toronto | you know, tell it exactly the way it happened."

Dan Blum

Jan 30, 2015, 3:22:06 PM1/30/15
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
> Dan Blum:
> > 2. For the love of God, tell me what kind of sherry features
> > prominently in a story by Edgar Allan Poe.

> Amontillado (I think, but that sounds Spanish).

Indeed, it is Spanish.

> > 4. This US state is one of just four that used to be sovereign
> > nations, and the only one of those that fits the theme. It used
> > to be the state that had the highest percentage of its population
> > living in rural areas, but in the 2010 census it is a very close
> > second place: 61.1%, with the "winner" at 61.34% (third place is
> > far behind at 51.28%).

> Vermont.

> Counting California to get to four is dubious.

True; I wouldn't have if California were the answer.

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 30, 2015, 5:03:04 PM1/30/15
By the way, great theme, Dan! Took me a while to spot it, despite it
was right before my eyes. I had a great chuckle when I figured it out!

Dan Blum

Jan 30, 2015, 5:30:06 PM1/30/15
Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> wrote:
> By the way, great theme, Dan! Took me a while to spot it, despite it
> was right before my eyes. I had a great chuckle when I figured it out!

Tbanks!

Peter Smyth

Jan 30, 2015, 6:47:06 PM1/30/15
Montserrat
> 4. This US state is one of just four that used to be sovereign
> nations, and the only one of those that fits the theme. It used
> to be the state that had the highest percentage of its population
> living in rural areas, but in the 2010 census it is a very close
> second place: 61.1%, with the "winner" at 61.34% (third place is
> far behind at 51.28%).
Montana
> 5. This US television network only operated from 1946-56, so it
> is not well-known today, but they had some popular and influential
> programs including Cavalcade of Stars (The Honeymooners started
> as a series of sketches there), Captain Video and His Video Rangers,
> The Morey Amsterdam Show, Ted Mack's The Original Amateur Hour, and
> The Ernie Kovacs Show. It was the first network to have shows
> starring an Asian American and an African American woman.
>
> 6. One of the main characters in Laclos' Les Liaisons dangereuses.
> He has been portrayed by John Malkovich and Colin Firth, among
> others.
>
> 7. Switzerland is not usually associated with jazz (at least by
> me, and it's my quiz), but the second-largest annual jazz festival
> in the world is held in this town on Lake Geneva.
Montreux
> 8. And while we're on the subject, the largest annual jazz festival
> is held in a much larger city which also fits the theme of this quiz.
Montreal
> 9. Jazz festivals are usually pretty peaceful. Rock festivals are
> sometimes less so, particularly this infamous 1969 event at which
> one person was killed, several others died in accidents, and a lot
> of people suffered injuries. The documentary Gimme Shelter, which
> covers the Rolling Stones' 1969 US tour, includes much footage shot
> there.
Altamont
> 10. The de facto (and in the 19th century de jure) capital of the
> Kingdom of Sardinia for much of its history was Turin. Turin is
> of course not on Sardinia, but in this northwestern region of Italy,
> which like Sardinia was controlled by the House of Savoy. The region
> is today one of the official 20 regions of Italy (not with its precise
> earlier borders); it is the second-largest in area (after Sicily).
Piedmont

Peter Smyth

swp

Jan 31, 2015, 6:16:49 PM1/31/15
On Friday, January 30, 2015 at 9:54:11 AM UTC-5, Dan Blum wrote:
> 1. This man is probably best-known today as an explorer of the
> American West. However, he also served in the military in the
> Mexican-American War and American Civil War, commanding the
> Department of the West early in the latter. He was involved in
> controversy in both cases. He was also one of the first two
> senators elected from California and was the first Republican
> candidate for president.

fremont

> 2. For the love of God, tell me what kind of sherry features
> prominently in a story by Edgar Allan Poe.

amontillado

> 3. This British possession in the Caribbean used to be a
> desination for tourists and, after George Martin established
> a recording studio there, musicians. However, in 1989 Hurricane
> Hugo destroyed the studio and lots of other things. Then in 1995
> a large volcanic eruption (followed by other smaller ones)
> turned more than half of the island into an uninhabited and
> little-visited "exclusion zone."

montserrat

> 4. This US state is one of just four that used to be sovereign
> nations, and the only one of those that fits the theme. It used
> to be the state that had the highest percentage of its population
> living in rural areas, but in the 2010 census it is a very close
> second place: 61.1%, with the "winner" at 61.34% (third place is
> far behind at 51.28%).

montana

> 5. This US television network only operated from 1946-56, so it
> is not well-known today, but they had some popular and influential
> programs including Cavalcade of Stars (The Honeymooners started
> as a series of sketches there), Captain Video and His Video Rangers,
> The Morey Amsterdam Show, Ted Mack's The Original Amateur Hour, and
> The Ernie Kovacs Show. It was the first network to have shows
> starring an Asian American and an African American woman.

dumont?

> 6. One of the main characters in Laclos' Les Liaisons dangereuses.
> He has been portrayed by John Malkovich and Colin Firth, among
> others.

monty python (because you left it out)

> 7. Switzerland is not usually associated with jazz (at least by
> me, and it's my quiz), but the second-largest annual jazz festival
> in the world is held in this town on Lake Geneva.

montreau

> 8. And while we're on the subject, the largest annual jazz festival
> is held in a much larger city which also fits the theme of this quiz.

monterey

> 9. Jazz festivals are usually pretty peaceful. Rock festivals are
> sometimes less so, particularly this infamous 1969 event at which
> one person was killed, several others died in accidents, and a lot
> of people suffered injuries. The documentary Gimme Shelter, which
> covers the Rolling Stones' 1969 US tour, includes much footage shot
> there.

altamont

> 10. The de facto (and in the 19th century de jure) capital of the
> Kingdom of Sardinia for much of its history was Turin. Turin is
> of course not on Sardinia, but in this northwestern region of Italy,
> which like Sardinia was controlled by the House of Savoy. The region
> is today one of the official 20 regions of Italy (not with its precise
> earlier borders); it is the second-largest in area (after Sicily).

piedmont

swp

Dan Tilque

Feb 1, 2015, 1:16:15 AM2/1/15
Dan Blum wrote:

> 1. This man is probably best-known today as an explorer of the
> American West. However, he also served in the military in the
> Mexican-American War and American Civil War, commanding the
> Department of the West early in the latter. He was involved in
> controversy in both cases. He was also one of the first two
> senators elected from California and was the first Republican
> candidate for president.

Frémont

> 2. For the love of God, tell me what kind of sherry features
> prominently in a story by Edgar Allan Poe.
>
> 3. This British possession in the Caribbean used to be a
> desination for tourists and, after George Martin established
> a recording studio there, musicians. However, in 1989 Hurricane
> Hugo destroyed the studio and lots of other things. Then in 1995
> a large volcanic eruption (followed by other smaller ones)
> turned more than half of the island into an uninhabited and
> little-visited "exclusion zone."

Montserrat

> 4. This US state is one of just four that used to be sovereign
> nations, and the only one of those that fits the theme. It used
> to be the state that had the highest percentage of its population
> living in rural areas, but in the 2010 census it is a very close
> second place: 61.1%, with the "winner" at 61.34% (third place is
> far behind at 51.28%).

Vermont

> 5. This US television network only operated from 1946-56, so it
> is not well-known today, but they had some popular and influential
> programs including Cavalcade of Stars (The Honeymooners started
> as a series of sketches there), Captain Video and His Video Rangers,
> The Morey Amsterdam Show, Ted Mack's The Original Amateur Hour, and
> The Ernie Kovacs Show. It was the first network to have shows
> starring an Asian American and an African American woman.

Dumont

> 6. One of the main characters in Laclos' Les Liaisons dangereuses.
> He has been portrayed by John Malkovich and Colin Firth, among
> others.
>
> 7. Switzerland is not usually associated with jazz (at least by
> me, and it's my quiz), but the second-largest annual jazz festival
> in the world is held in this town on Lake Geneva.

Montreaux

> 8. And while we're on the subject, the largest annual jazz festival
> is held in a much larger city which also fits the theme of this quiz.

Montreal ?

> 9. Jazz festivals are usually pretty peaceful. Rock festivals are
> sometimes less so, particularly this infamous 1969 event at which
> one person was killed, several others died in accidents, and a lot
> of people suffered injuries. The documentary Gimme Shelter, which
> covers the Rolling Stones' 1969 US tour, includes much footage shot
> there.

Altamont

> 10. The de facto (and in the 19th century de jure) capital of the
> Kingdom of Sardinia for much of its history was Turin. Turin is
> of course not on Sardinia, but in this northwestern region of Italy,
> which like Sardinia was controlled by the House of Savoy. The region
> is today one of the official 20 regions of Italy (not with its precise
> earlier borders); it is the second-largest in area (after Sicily).

Piedmont

--
Dan Tilque

Pete

Feb 1, 2015, 1:31:02 AM2/1/15
to...@panix.com (Dan Blum) wrote in news:mag5uj$q9r$1...@reader1.panix.com:

> This is Rotating Quiz 168. Entries must be posted by Friday,
> February 6th, 2015 at 10 PM (Eastern Standard Time).
>
> Usual rules: no looking anything up, no discussion, etc. The
> winner gets to create the next RQ.
>
> Please post your answers to all questions in a single followup
> in the newsgroup, quoting the questions and placing your answer
> below each one. Only one answer is allowed per question.
>
> For this quiz I have again sacrificed originality to expediency,
> so this may seem somewhat familiar. The scoring will also seem
> familiar when it happens.
>
> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be whoever scored
> the most points on the hardest questions (defined post-facto
> as the ones which the fewest people got any points on). Second
> tiebreaker will be posting order.
>
> 1. This man is probably best-known today as an explorer of the
> American West. However, he also served in the military in the
> Mexican-American War and American Civil War, commanding the
> Department of the West early in the latter. He was involved in
> controversy in both cases. He was also one of the first two
> senators elected from California and was the first Republican
> candidate for president.
>
> 2. For the love of God, tell me what kind of sherry features
> prominently in a story by Edgar Allan Poe.

The Cask of Amontillado

> 3. This British possession in the Caribbean used to be a
> desination for tourists and, after George Martin established
> a recording studio there, musicians. However, in 1989 Hurricane
> Hugo destroyed the studio and lots of other things. Then in 1995
> a large volcanic eruption (followed by other smaller ones)
> turned more than half of the island into an uninhabited and
> little-visited "exclusion zone."

Montserrat

> 4. This US state is one of just four that used to be sovereign
> nations, and the only one of those that fits the theme. It used
> to be the state that had the highest percentage of its population
> living in rural areas, but in the 2010 census it is a very close
> second place: 61.1%, with the "winner" at 61.34% (third place is
> far behind at 51.28%).

Montana

> 5. This US television network only operated from 1946-56, so it
> is not well-known today, but they had some popular and influential
> programs including Cavalcade of Stars (The Honeymooners started
> as a series of sketches there), Captain Video and His Video Rangers,
> The Morey Amsterdam Show, Ted Mack's The Original Amateur Hour, and
> The Ernie Kovacs Show. It was the first network to have shows
> starring an Asian American and an African American woman.

Dumont

> 6. One of the main characters in Laclos' Les Liaisons dangereuses.
> He has been portrayed by John Malkovich and Colin Firth, among
> others.

Count of Monte Cristo

> 7. Switzerland is not usually associated with jazz (at least by
> me, and it's my quiz), but the second-largest annual jazz festival
> in the world is held in this town on Lake Geneva.

Montreux

> 8. And while we're on the subject, the largest annual jazz festival
> is held in a much larger city which also fits the theme of this quiz.

Montreal

> 9. Jazz festivals are usually pretty peaceful. Rock festivals are
> sometimes less so, particularly this infamous 1969 event at which
> one person was killed, several others died in accidents, and a lot
> of people suffered injuries. The documentary Gimme Shelter, which
> covers the Rolling Stones' 1969 US tour, includes much footage shot
> there.

Altamont

> 10. The de facto (and in the 19th century de jure) capital of the
> Kingdom of Sardinia for much of its history was Turin. Turin is
> of course not on Sardinia, but in this northwestern region of Italy,
> which like Sardinia was controlled by the House of Savoy. The region
> is today one of the official 20 regions of Italy (not with its precise
> earlier borders); it is the second-largest in area (after Sicily).

Piedmont

Pete

Marc Dashevsky

Feb 2, 2015, 12:51:31 PM2/2/15
In article <mag5uj$q9r$1...@reader1.panix.com>, to...@panix.com says...

> 1. This man is probably best-known today as an explorer of the
> American West. However, he also served in the military in the
> Mexican-American War and American Civil War, commanding the
> Department of the West early in the latter. He was involved in
> controversy in both cases. He was also one of the first two
> senators elected from California and was the first Republican
> candidate for president.
>
> 2. For the love of God, tell me what kind of sherry features
> prominently in a story by Edgar Allan Poe.
Amontillado

> 3. This British possession in the Caribbean used to be a
> desination for tourists and, after George Martin established
> a recording studio there, musicians. However, in 1989 Hurricane
> Hugo destroyed the studio and lots of other things. Then in 1995
> a large volcanic eruption (followed by other smaller ones)
> turned more than half of the island into an uninhabited and
> little-visited "exclusion zone."
Montserrat (thank you theme)

> 4. This US state is one of just four that used to be sovereign
> nations, and the only one of those that fits the theme. It used
> to be the state that had the highest percentage of its population
> living in rural areas, but in the 2010 census it is a very close
> second place: 61.1%, with the "winner" at 61.34% (third place is
> far behind at 51.28%).
Vermont (replaced Hawaii after I got the theme)

> 5. This US television network only operated from 1946-56, so it
> is not well-known today, but they had some popular and influential
> programs including Cavalcade of Stars (The Honeymooners started
> as a series of sketches there), Captain Video and His Video Rangers,
> The Morey Amsterdam Show, Ted Mack's The Original Amateur Hour, and
> The Ernie Kovacs Show. It was the first network to have shows
> starring an Asian American and an African American woman.
DuMont

> 6. One of the main characters in Laclos' Les Liaisons dangereuses.
> He has been portrayed by John Malkovich and Colin Firth, among
> others.
Montcalm

> 7. Switzerland is not usually associated with jazz (at least by
> me, and it's my quiz), but the second-largest annual jazz festival
> in the world is held in this town on Lake Geneva.
Montreux

> 8. And while we're on the subject, the largest annual jazz festival
> is held in a much larger city which also fits the theme of this quiz.
Monterey

> 9. Jazz festivals are usually pretty peaceful. Rock festivals are
> sometimes less so, particularly this infamous 1969 event at which
> one person was killed, several others died in accidents, and a lot
> of people suffered injuries. The documentary Gimme Shelter, which
> covers the Rolling Stones' 1969 US tour, includes much footage shot
> there.
Altamont

> 10. The de facto (and in the 19th century de jure) capital of the
> Kingdom of Sardinia for much of its history was Turin. Turin is
> of course not on Sardinia, but in this northwestern region of Italy,
> which like Sardinia was controlled by the House of Savoy. The region
> is today one of the official 20 regions of Italy (not with its precise
> earlier borders); it is the second-largest in area (after Sicily).
Piedmont

Rob Parker

Feb 4, 2015, 1:32:40 AM2/4/15
> 1. This man is probably best-known today as an explorer of the
> American West. However, he also served in the military in the
> Mexican-American War and American Civil War, commanding the
> Department of the West early in the latter. He was involved in
> controversy in both cases. He was also one of the first two
> senators elected from California and was the first Republican
> candidate for president.
>
> 2. For the love of God, tell me what kind of sherry features
> prominently in a story by Edgar Allan Poe.

Amontillado

> 3. This British possession in the Caribbean used to be a
> desination for tourists and, after George Martin established
> a recording studio there, musicians. However, in 1989 Hurricane
> Hugo destroyed the studio and lots of other things. Then in 1995
> a large volcanic eruption (followed by other smaller ones)
> turned more than half of the island into an uninhabited and
> little-visited "exclusion zone."

Monserrat (?)

> 4. This US state is one of just four that used to be sovereign
> nations, and the only one of those that fits the theme. It used
> to be the state that had the highest percentage of its population
> living in rural areas, but in the 2010 census it is a very close
> second place: 61.1%, with the "winner" at 61.34% (third place is
> far behind at 51.28%).

Arkansas (?)

> 5. This US television network only operated from 1946-56, so it
> is not well-known today, but they had some popular and influential
> programs including Cavalcade of Stars (The Honeymooners started
> as a series of sketches there), Captain Video and His Video Rangers,
> The Morey Amsterdam Show, Ted Mack's The Original Amateur Hour, and
> The Ernie Kovacs Show. It was the first network to have shows
> starring an Asian American and an African American woman.
>
> 6. One of the main characters in Laclos' Les Liaisons dangereuses.
> He has been portrayed by John Malkovich and Colin Firth, among
> others.
>
> 7. Switzerland is not usually associated with jazz (at least by
> me, and it's my quiz), but the second-largest annual jazz festival
> in the world is held in this town on Lake Geneva.

Montreux

> 8. And while we're on the subject, the largest annual jazz festival
> is held in a much larger city which also fits the theme of this quiz.
>
> 9. Jazz festivals are usually pretty peaceful. Rock festivals are
> sometimes less so, particularly this infamous 1969 event at which
> one person was killed, several others died in accidents, and a lot
> of people suffered injuries. The documentary Gimme Shelter, which
> covers the Rolling Stones' 1969 US tour, includes much footage shot
> there.

Altamont

> 10. The de facto (and in the 19th century de jure) capital of the
> Kingdom of Sardinia for much of its history was Turin. Turin is
> of course not on Sardinia, but in this northwestern region of Italy,
> which like Sardinia was controlled by the House of Savoy. The region
> is today one of the official 20 regions of Italy (not with its precise
> earlier borders); it is the second-largest in area (after Sicily).

Lombardy (?)

Rob

Dan Blum

Feb 6, 2015, 10:08:43 PM2/6/15
Rotating Quiz #168 is over and Dan Tilque wins by a point.
He has the privilege and duty of setting RQ #169.

As you know, in Mark's previous RQ all the answers contained
"berg," and "berg" is German for "mountain." It occurred to me
that "mont" is a French word for mountain and that if I didn't
steal this idea I would never get this done quickly. So all the
answers here contain "mont."

I have also stolen Mark's scoring, so a correctly-spelled answer
is 3 points and a misspelled answer 1 point. Accents and the lack
thereof are ignored, as is capitalization.

> 1. This man is probably best-known today as an explorer of the
> American West. However, he also served in the military in the
> Mexican-American War and American Civil War, commanding the
> Department of the West early in the latter. He was involved in
> controversy in both cases. He was also one of the first two
> senators elected from California and was the first Republican
> candidate for president.

Fremont

3 for Mark, Stephen, and Dan

> 2. For the love of God, tell me what kind of sherry features
> prominently in a story by Edgar Allan Poe.

Amontillado

The name of the narrator (Montresor) would also have worked,
but I decided it was a bit too obscure.

3 for Erland, Mark, Stephen, Pete, Marc, and Rob

> 3. This British possession in the Caribbean used to be a
> desination for tourists and, after George Martin established
> a recording studio there, musicians. However, in 1989 Hurricane
> Hugo destroyed the studio and lots of other things. Then in 1995
> a large volcanic eruption (followed by other smaller ones)
> turned more than half of the island into an uninhabited and
> little-visited "exclusion zone."

Montserrat

3 for Erland, Peter, Stephen, Dan, Pete, and Marc; 1 for Rob

> 4. This US state is one of just four that used to be sovereign
> nations, and the only one of those that fits the theme. It used
> to be the state that had the highest percentage of its population
> living in rural areas, but in the 2010 census it is a very close
> second place: 61.1%, with the "winner" at 61.34% (third place is
> far behind at 51.28%).

Vermont

Montana fits the theme but was never a sovereign nation (even by
the extremely generous definition that gets California in) and
doesn't have nearly that high a percentage of its population
living in rural areas; like much of the American West, it has
large rural areas but they tend to be very sparsely populated.
(For those interested, first place in 2010 was Maine, third was
West Virginia.)

3 for Erland, Mark, Dan, and Marc

> 5. This US television network only operated from 1946-56, so it
> is not well-known today, but they had some popular and influential
> programs including Cavalcade of Stars (The Honeymooners started
> as a series of sketches there), Captain Video and His Video Rangers,
> The Morey Amsterdam Show, Ted Mack's The Original Amateur Hour, and
> The Ernie Kovacs Show. It was the first network to have shows
> starring an Asian American and an African American woman.

DuMont

3 for Mark, Stephen, Dan, Pete, and Marc

> 6. One of the main characters in Laclos' Les Liaisons dangereuses.
> He has been portrayed by John Malkovich and Colin Firth, among
> others.

Valmont

3 for Erland

I confess to some surprise that this was the hardest question. The
movie with Malkovich was very popular at the time. Dangerous Liasions?
Also starring Glenn Close and Uma Thurman?

> 7. Switzerland is not usually associated with jazz (at least by
> me, and it's my quiz), but the second-largest annual jazz festival
> in the world is held in this town on Lake Geneva.

Montreux

3 for Erland, Mark, Peter, Pete, Marc, and Rob; 1 for Stephen and
Dan

> 8. And while we're on the subject, the largest annual jazz festival
> is held in a much larger city which also fits the theme of this quiz.

Montreal

3 for Erland, Peter, Dan, and Pete

> 9. Jazz festivals are usually pretty peaceful. Rock festivals are
> sometimes less so, particularly this infamous 1969 event at which
> one person was killed, several others died in accidents, and a lot
> of people suffered injuries. The documentary Gimme Shelter, which
> covers the Rolling Stones' 1969 US tour, includes much footage shot
> there.

Altamont

3 for Peter, Stephen, Dan, Pete, Marc, and Rob

> 10. The de facto (and in the 19th century de jure) capital of the
> Kingdom of Sardinia for much of its history was Turin. Turin is
> of course not on Sardinia, but in this northwestern region of Italy,
> which like Sardinia was controlled by the House of Savoy. The region
> is today one of the official 20 regions of Italy (not with its precise
> earlier borders); it is the second-largest in area (after Sicily).

Piedmont (or Piemonte in Italian)

3 for Erland, Mark, Peter, Stephen, Dan, Pete, and Marc

Scores:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Total
----------------------------------
Dan 3 0 3 3 3 0 1 3 3 3 22
Erland 0 3 3 3 0 3 3 3 0 3 21
Pete 0 3 3 0 3 0 3 3 3 3 21
Marc 0 3 3 3 3 0 3 0 3 3 21
Stephen 3 3 3 0 3 0 1 0 3 3 19
Mark 3 3 0 3 3 0 3 0 0 3 18
Peter 0 0 3 0 0 0 3 3 3 3 15
Rob 0 3 1 0 0 0 3 0 3 0 10

Mark Brader

Feb 6, 2015, 11:28:39 PM2/6/15
Dan Blum:
> So all the answers here contain "mont."

Arrrgh!

Thanks for that.
--
Mark Brader | ...I'm comfortably ensconced with a warm newsgroup
Toronto | so I'm asking the assembled multitude here...

Dan Blum

Feb 6, 2015, 11:55:43 PM2/6/15
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
> Dan Blum:
> > So all the answers here contain "mont."

> Arrrgh!

> Thanks for that.

My pleasure.

Dan Tilque

Feb 7, 2015, 1:11:09 AM2/7/15
Dan Blum wrote:
> Rotating Quiz #168 is over and Dan Tilque wins by a point.

I'd like to thank the "stupid with a flare gun" for putting me over the top.

> He has the privilege and duty of setting RQ #169.

A while back I had a good idea for one of these, but it's been so long
since I've won that I've totally forgotten what it was. So I'll have to
come up with another idea. Hopefully it'll be up in a day or two.

--
Dan Tilque