QFTCI5EP Game 5, Rounds 9-10: villains, cards challenge

Mark Brader

Jun 21, 2017, 9:11:19 PM6/21/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-13,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Game 5, Round 9 - Literature - Comic Book Villains

1. Black Manta is the arch-foe of what DC superhero, soon to appear
on movie screens?

2. The Absorbing Man, Mr. Hyde, the Midgard Serpent, the Human
Cobra, and the Destroyer are all enemies of, principally,
what Marvel superhero?

3. Who is Green Lantern's arch-nemesis? He appeared in the Ryan
Reynolds movie bomb.

4. Shiwan Khan was the arch-nemesis of what pulp hero and comic
book hero, who also had a movie starring Alec Baldwin?

5. What namesake of a founding member of the Fantastic Four was
a hero in Marvel Comics #1 (October 1939), then came back in the
1960s to menace the Fantastic Four, before being deactivated?
He had the same name and powers as the Fantastic Four member.

6. Who was the first female villain in comics?

7. Brainiac, General Zod, and Mr. Mxyzptlk opposed what comic
book hero?

8. New Gods was a DC comic created by Jack Kirby that appeared
in 1971. The head bad guy was Darkseid. He was the one of
the inspirations for what movie villain?

9. The Crimson Dynamo, the Mandarin, the Melter, and (most
important) Thanos first menaced what Marvel superhero?

10. What super *team* did Zemo oppose?

** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round of Cards

This is the challenge round, and your categories are:

A. Sports: Scotties Tournament of Hearts
B. Miscellaneous: Mr. Spayed and Neutered
C. "Science": Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend
D. History: Social Clubs
E. Entertainment: Aces in Music
F. Literature: Jacks in Paperbacks

Play cards!

* A. Scotties Tournament of Hearts

A1. What Southern Ontario city is hosting the 2017 Scotties
Tournament of Hearts, being held from February 16 to 26?

A2. At the 2016 tournament which province's team, led by skip
Chelsea Carey, emerged victorious? Hint: They had home-ice
advantage.

* B. Mr. Spayed and Neutered

B1. What long-running game show did Bob Barker host for
18 years before joining "The Price is Right" in 1972?

B2. From 1967 to 1988, Barker hosted what annual televised event?

* C. Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend

C1. Diamond is the birthstone for which month?

C2. The word diamond comes from the Greek word "adamas".
What does "adamas" mean?

* D. Social Clubs

D1. Founded in 1882, this private Toronto club, situated at
91 King St. E., has long been a haven for Conservative
Party supporters. Sir John A. Macdonald was its first
honorary president, and Mike Harris and Brian Mulroney are
currently members. Name it.

D2. This private Toronto club, located in a historic building
at 14 Elm St., was established in 1908. Its membership
includes writers, architects, artists, designers, musicians,
and actors. The Group of Seven members were among its
past luminaries. Name it.

* E. Aces in Music

E1. This Swedish pop group had one of the best-selling debut
albums of all time. Their 1992 release featured the hits
"All That She Wants" and "The Sign". Name the group.

E2. This British heavy-metal band's fifth studio album
"Powerslave" featured the singles "Aces High" and "Two
Minutes to Midnight". They'll make a stop in Toronto
this July. Name the group.

* F. Jacks in Paperbacks

F1. There are 21 novels in the popular Jack Reacher series.
Tom Cruise portrays Reacher in two films. Who is the
*author* of the series?

F2. This fictional Jack was created by Tom Clancy and appears
in many of his novels, starting with "The Hunt for Red
October". Name this *character*.

--
Mark Brader | "After that, he spent a long time just reading netnews.
m...@vex.net | Sorry, I mean of course that he was debugging his

Dan Blum

Jun 21, 2017, 10:43:50 PM6/21/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Literature - Comic Book Villains

> 1. Black Manta is the arch-foe of what DC superhero, soon to appear
> on movie screens?

Aquaman

> 2. The Absorbing Man, Mr. Hyde, the Midgard Serpent, the Human
> Cobra, and the Destroyer are all enemies of, principally,
> what Marvel superhero?

Thor

> 3. Who is Green Lantern's arch-nemesis? He appeared in the Ryan
> Reynolds movie bomb.

Sinestro

> 4. Shiwan Khan was the arch-nemesis of what pulp hero and comic
> book hero, who also had a movie starring Alec Baldwin?

The Shadow

> 5. What namesake of a founding member of the Fantastic Four was
> a hero in Marvel Comics #1 (October 1939), then came back in the
> 1960s to menace the Fantastic Four, before being deactivated?
> He had the same name and powers as the Fantastic Four member.

The Human Torch

> 6. Who was the first female villain in comics?

Catwoman

> 7. Brainiac, General Zod, and Mr. Mxyzptlk opposed what comic
> book hero?

Superman

> 8. New Gods was a DC comic created by Jack Kirby that appeared
> in 1971. The head bad guy was Darkseid. He was the one of
> the inspirations for what movie villain?

Darth Vader

> 9. The Crimson Dynamo, the Mandarin, the Melter, and (most
> important) Thanos first menaced what Marvel superhero?

Iron Man; Captain Marvel

> 10. What super *team* did Zemo oppose?

The Avengers

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round of Cards

> * B. Mr. Spayed and Neutered

> B2. From 1967 to 1988, Barker hosted what annual televised event?

Miss America Pageant

> * C. Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend

> C1. Diamond is the birthstone for which month?

December; June

> C2. The word diamond comes from the Greek word "adamas".
> What does "adamas" mean?

unbreakable

> * E. Aces in Music

> E1. This Swedish pop group had one of the best-selling debut
> albums of all time. Their 1992 release featured the hits
> "All That She Wants" and "The Sign". Name the group.

Ace of Base

> * F. Jacks in Paperbacks

> F2. This fictional Jack was created by Tom Clancy and appears
> in many of his novels, starting with "The Hunt for Red
> October". Name this *character*.

Jack Ryan

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Jun 21, 2017, 11:17:53 PM6/21/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:BLKdnUhUrc-shNbEnZ2dnUU7-
V_N...@giganews.com:

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Literature - Comic Book Villains
>
> 1. Black Manta is the arch-foe of what DC superhero, soon to appear
> on movie screens?

Wonder Woman (?)

> 4. Shiwan Khan was the arch-nemesis of what pulp hero and comic
> book hero, who also had a movie starring Alec Baldwin?

The Shadow

> 7. Brainiac, General Zod, and Mr. Mxyzptlk opposed what comic
> book hero?

Superman

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round of Cards
>
> * A. Scotties Tournament of Hearts
>
> A2. At the 2016 tournament which province's team, led by skip
> Chelsea Carey, emerged victorious? Hint: They had home-ice
> advantage.

Alberta; Manitoba

> * B. Mr. Spayed and Neutered
>
> B1. What long-running game show did Bob Barker host for
> 18 years before joining "The Price is Right" in 1972?

"Truth or Consequences"

> * C. Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend
>
> C1. Diamond is the birthstone for which month?

January; February

> * E. Aces in Music
>
> E1. This Swedish pop group had one of the best-selling debut
> albums of all time. Their 1992 release featured the hits
> "All That She Wants" and "The Sign". Name the group.

Ace of Base

> * F. Jacks in Paperbacks
>
> F2. This fictional Jack was created by Tom Clancy and appears
> in many of his novels, starting with "The Hunt for Red
> October". Name this *character*.

Jack Ryan

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Calvin

Jun 22, 2017, 1:53:51 AM6/22/17
On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 11:11:19 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Literature - Comic Book Villains

Groan.

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round of Cards
>
> This is the challenge round, and your categories are:
>
> A. Sports: Scotties Tournament of Hearts
> B. Miscellaneous: Mr. Spayed and Neutered
> C. "Science": Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend
> D. History: Social Clubs
> E. Entertainment: Aces in Music
> F. Literature: Jacks in Paperbacks
>
> Play cards!
>

> * A. Scotties Tournament of Hearts
>
> A1. What Southern Ontario city is hosting the 2017 Scotties
> Tournament of Hearts, being held from February 16 to 26?

London

> A2. At the 2016 tournament which province's team, led by skip
> Chelsea Carey, emerged victorious? Hint: They had home-ice
> advantage.

PEI, BC

> * B. Mr. Spayed and Neutered
>
> B1. What long-running game show did Bob Barker host for
> 18 years before joining "The Price is Right" in 1972?

Pick a Box?

> B2. From 1967 to 1988, Barker hosted what annual televised event?

Telethon, Christmas Special

> * C. Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend
>
> C1. Diamond is the birthstone for which month?

March, April

> C2. The word diamond comes from the Greek word "adamas".
> What does "adamas" mean?

Hard, unbreakable

> * D. Social Clubs
>
> D1. Founded in 1882, this private Toronto club, situated at
> 91 King St. E., has long been a haven for Conservative
> Party supporters. Sir John A. Macdonald was its first
> honorary president, and Mike Harris and Brian Mulroney are
> currently members. Name it.
>
> D2. This private Toronto club, located in a historic building
> at 14 Elm St., was established in 1908. Its membership
> includes writers, architects, artists, designers, musicians,
> and actors. The Group of Seven members were among its
> past luminaries. Name it.
>

> * E. Aces in Music
>
> E1. This Swedish pop group had one of the best-selling debut
> albums of all time. Their 1992 release featured the hits
> "All That She Wants" and "The Sign". Name the group.

Ace of Bass

> E2. This British heavy-metal band's fifth studio album
> "Powerslave" featured the singles "Aces High" and "Two
> Minutes to Midnight". They'll make a stop in Toronto
> this July. Name the group.
>

> * F. Jacks in Paperbacks
>
> F1. There are 21 novels in the popular Jack Reacher series.
> Tom Cruise portrays Reacher in two films. Who is the
> *author* of the series?
>
> F2. This fictional Jack was created by Tom Clancy and appears
> in many of his novels, starting with "The Hunt for Red
> October". Name this *character*.

Ryan

cheers,
calvin

Bruce

Jun 22, 2017, 10:13:56 AM6/22/17
On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 20:11:13 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Literature - Comic Book Villains
>

> 7. Brainiac, General Zod, and Mr. Mxyzptlk opposed what comic
> book hero?

Superman

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round of Cards
>
> This is the challenge round, and your categories are:
>
> A. Sports: Scotties Tournament of Hearts B. Miscellaneous: Mr.
> Spayed and Neutered C. "Science": Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend
> D. History: Social Clubs E. Entertainment: Aces in Music F.
> Literature: Jacks in Paperbacks
>
> Play cards!
>

> * A. Scotties Tournament of Hearts
>
> A1. What Southern Ontario city is hosting the 2017 Scotties
> Tournament of Hearts, being held from February 16 to 26?
>
> A2. At the 2016 tournament which province's team, led by skip
> Chelsea Carey, emerged victorious? Hint: They had home-ice
> advantage.
>

> * B. Mr. Spayed and Neutered
>
> B1. What long-running game show did Bob Barker host for
> 18 years before joining "The Price is Right" in 1972?

Truth or Consequences

> B2. From 1967 to 1988, Barker hosted what annual televised event?

Rose Parade

> * C. Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend
>
> C1. Diamond is the birthstone for which month?

June?

> C2. The word diamond comes from the Greek word "adamas".
> What does "adamas" mean?
>

> * D. Social Clubs
>
> D1. Founded in 1882, this private Toronto club, situated at
> 91 King St. E., has long been a haven for Conservative Party
> supporters. Sir John A. Macdonald was its first honorary
> president, and Mike Harris and Brian Mulroney are currently
> members. Name it.
>
> D2. This private Toronto club, located in a historic building
> at 14 Elm St., was established in 1908. Its membership includes
> writers, architects, artists, designers, musicians,
> and actors. The Group of Seven members were among its past
> luminaries. Name it.
>

> * E. Aces in Music
>
> E1. This Swedish pop group had one of the best-selling debut
> albums of all time. Their 1992 release featured the hits "All
> That She Wants" and "The Sign". Name the group.

Ace of Base

> E2. This British heavy-metal band's fifth studio album
> "Powerslave" featured the singles "Aces High" and "Two Minutes to
> Midnight". They'll make a stop in Toronto this July. Name the
> group.
>

> * F. Jacks in Paperbacks
>
> F1. There are 21 novels in the popular Jack Reacher series.
> Tom Cruise portrays Reacher in two films. Who is the *author* of
> the series?

Lee Child (and if you've read any of them Tom Cruise is NOT Jack Reacher)

> F2. This fictional Jack was created by Tom Clancy and appears
> in many of his novels, starting with "The Hunt for Red October".
> Name this *character*.

Jack Ryan

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 22, 2017, 11:56:35 AM6/22/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> E1. This Swedish pop group had one of the best-selling debut
> albums of all time. Their 1992 release featured the hits
> "All That She Wants" and "The Sign". Name the group.

Ace of Base

swp

Jun 22, 2017, 9:36:51 PM6/22/17
On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 9:11:19 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-13,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

noted

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Literature - Comic Book Villains
>
> 1. Black Manta is the arch-foe of what DC superhero, soon to appear
> on movie screens?

aquaman

> 2. The Absorbing Man, Mr. Hyde, the Midgard Serpent, the Human
> Cobra, and the Destroyer are all enemies of, principally,
> what Marvel superhero?

thor

> 3. Who is Green Lantern's arch-nemesis? He appeared in the Ryan
> Reynolds movie bomb.

sinestro

> 4. Shiwan Khan was the arch-nemesis of what pulp hero and comic
> book hero, who also had a movie starring Alec Baldwin?

the shadow

> 5. What namesake of a founding member of the Fantastic Four was
> a hero in Marvel Comics #1 (October 1939), then came back in the
> 1960s to menace the Fantastic Four, before being deactivated?
> He had the same name and powers as the Fantastic Four member.

the human torch

> 6. Who was the first female villain in comics?

catwoman

> 7. Brainiac, General Zod, and Mr. Mxyzptlk opposed what comic
> book hero?

superman

> 8. New Gods was a DC comic created by Jack Kirby that appeared
> in 1971. The head bad guy was Darkseid. He was the one of
> the inspirations for what movie villain?

thanos?

> 9. The Crimson Dynamo, the Mandarin, the Melter, and (most
> important) Thanos first menaced what Marvel superhero?

iron man

> 10. What super *team* did Zemo oppose?

the avengers

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round of Cards
>
> This is the challenge round, and your categories are:
>
> A. Sports: Scotties Tournament of Hearts
> B. Miscellaneous: Mr. Spayed and Neutered
> C. "Science": Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend
> D. History: Social Clubs
> E. Entertainment: Aces in Music
> F. Literature: Jacks in Paperbacks
>
> Play cards!
>

> * A. Scotties Tournament of Hearts
>
> A1. What Southern Ontario city is hosting the 2017 Scotties
> Tournament of Hearts, being held from February 16 to 26?

st. catharines

> A2. At the 2016 tournament which province's team, led by skip
> Chelsea Carey, emerged victorious? Hint: They had home-ice
> advantage.

alberta

> * B. Mr. Spayed and Neutered
>
> B1. What long-running game show did Bob Barker host for
> 18 years before joining "The Price is Right" in 1972?

truth or consequences (not the city in new mexico)

> B2. From 1967 to 1988, Barker hosted what annual televised event?

miss usa pageant

> * C. Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend
>
> C1. Diamond is the birthstone for which month?

april

> C2. The word diamond comes from the Greek word "adamas".
> What does "adamas" mean?

unconquerable ; invincible

> * D. Social Clubs
>
> D1. Founded in 1882, this private Toronto club, situated at
> 91 King St. E., has long been a haven for Conservative
> Party supporters. Sir John A. Macdonald was its first
> honorary president, and Mike Harris and Brian Mulroney are
> currently members. Name it.

albany club?

> D2. This private Toronto club, located in a historic building
> at 14 Elm St., was established in 1908. Its membership
> includes writers, architects, artists, designers, musicians,
> and actors. The Group of Seven members were among its
> past luminaries. Name it.

arts and letters club

> * E. Aces in Music
>
> E1. This Swedish pop group had one of the best-selling debut
> albums of all time. Their 1992 release featured the hits
> "All That She Wants" and "The Sign". Name the group.

ace of base

> E2. This British heavy-metal band's fifth studio album
> "Powerslave" featured the singles "Aces High" and "Two
> Minutes to Midnight". They'll make a stop in Toronto
> this July. Name the group.

iron maiden

> * F. Jacks in Paperbacks
>
> F1. There are 21 novels in the popular Jack Reacher series.
> Tom Cruise portrays Reacher in two films. Who is the
> *author* of the series?

lee child

> F2. This fictional Jack was created by Tom Clancy and appears
> in many of his novels, starting with "The Hunt for Red
> October". Name this *character*.

jack ryan

swp

Dan Tilque

Jun 23, 2017, 5:07:36 PM6/23/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Literature - Comic Book Villains
>
> 1. Black Manta is the arch-foe of what DC superhero, soon to appear
> on movie screens?

Wonder Woman

> 2. The Absorbing Man, Mr. Hyde, the Midgard Serpent, the Human
> Cobra, and the Destroyer are all enemies of, principally,
> what Marvel superhero?

Thor

> 3. Who is Green Lantern's arch-nemesis? He appeared in the Ryan
> Reynolds movie bomb.
>
> 4. Shiwan Khan was the arch-nemesis of what pulp hero and comic
> book hero, who also had a movie starring Alec Baldwin?
>
> 5. What namesake of a founding member of the Fantastic Four was
> a hero in Marvel Comics #1 (October 1939), then came back in the
> 1960s to menace the Fantastic Four, before being deactivated?
> He had the same name and powers as the Fantastic Four member.

The Thing

> 6. Who was the first female villain in comics?

Catwoman

> 7. Brainiac, General Zod, and Mr. Mxyzptlk opposed what comic
> book hero?

Superman

> 8. New Gods was a DC comic created by Jack Kirby that appeared
> in 1971. The head bad guy was Darkseid. He was the one of
> the inspirations for what movie villain?
>
> 9. The Crimson Dynamo, the Mandarin, the Melter, and (most
> important) Thanos first menaced what Marvel superhero?
>
> 10. What super *team* did Zemo oppose?
>

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round of Cards
>
> This is the challenge round, and your categories are:
>
> A. Sports: Scotties Tournament of Hearts
> B. Miscellaneous: Mr. Spayed and Neutered
> C. "Science": Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend
> D. History: Social Clubs
> E. Entertainment: Aces in Music
> F. Literature: Jacks in Paperbacks
>
> Play cards!
>

> * A. Scotties Tournament of Hearts
>
> A1. What Southern Ontario city is hosting the 2017 Scotties
> Tournament of Hearts, being held from February 16 to 26?
>
> A2. At the 2016 tournament which province's team, led by skip
> Chelsea Carey, emerged victorious? Hint: They had home-ice
> advantage.
>

> * B. Mr. Spayed and Neutered
>
> B1. What long-running game show did Bob Barker host for
> 18 years before joining "The Price is Right" in 1972?

Truth or Consequences

> B2. From 1967 to 1988, Barker hosted what annual televised event?

Miss America Pagent

> * C. Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend
>
> C1. Diamond is the birthstone for which month?

December

> C2. The word diamond comes from the Greek word "adamas".
> What does "adamas" mean?

hard
Jack Ryan

--
Dan Tilque

Gareth Owen

Jun 23, 2017, 5:45:50 PM6/23/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 1. Black Manta is the arch-foe of what DC superhero, soon to appear
> on movie screens?

Aquaman

> 2. The Absorbing Man, Mr. Hyde, the Midgard Serpent, the Human
> Cobra, and the Destroyer are all enemies of, principally,
> what Marvel superhero?

Captain America, Hulk

> 3. Who is Green Lantern's arch-nemesis? He appeared in the Ryan
> Reynolds movie bomb.

Sinestro

> 4. Shiwan Khan was the arch-nemesis of what pulp hero and comic
> book hero, who also had a movie starring Alec Baldwin?
>
> 5. What namesake of a founding member of the Fantastic Four was
> a hero in Marvel Comics #1 (October 1939), then came back in the
> 1960s to menace the Fantastic Four, before being deactivated?
> He had the same name and powers as the Fantastic Four member.

Human Torch

> 6. Who was the first female villain in comics?

Catwoman?

> 7. Brainiac, General Zod, and Mr. Mxyzptlk opposed what comic
> book hero?

Superman

> 8. New Gods was a DC comic created by Jack Kirby that appeared
> in 1971. The head bad guy was Darkseid. He was the one of
> the inspirations for what movie villain?

Darth Vader, I assume. Love me some Darkseid.

> 9. The Crimson Dynamo, the Mandarin, the Melter, and (most
> important) Thanos first menaced what Marvel superhero?

Iron Man?

> 10. What super *team* did Zemo oppose?

The Avengers

> B1. What long-running game show did Bob Barker host for
> 18 years before joining "The Price is Right" in 1972?

Newlywed Game

> B2. From 1967 to 1988, Barker hosted what annual televised event?

Miss World

> * C. Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend
>
> C1. Diamond is the birthstone for which month?

March, April

> C2. The word diamond comes from the Greek word "adamas".
> What does "adamas" mean?

Hard

> * E. Aces in Music
>
> E1. This Swedish pop group had one of the best-selling debut
> albums of all time. Their 1992 release featured the hits
> "All That She Wants" and "The Sign". Name the group.

Ace of Base

> E2. This British heavy-metal band's fifth studio album
> "Powerslave" featured the singles "Aces High" and "Two
> Minutes to Midnight". They'll make a stop in Toronto
> this July. Name the group.

Iron Maiden

> * F. Jacks in Paperbacks
>
> F1. There are 21 novels in the popular Jack Reacher series.
> Tom Cruise portrays Reacher in two films. Who is the
> *author* of the series?

Lee Child

> F2. This fictional Jack was created by Tom Clancy and appears
> in many of his novels, starting with "The Hunt for Red
> October". Name this *character*.

Jack Ryan

Pete Gayde

Jun 24, 2017, 1:07:57 AM6/24/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:BLKdnUhUrc-shNbEnZ2dnUU7-
V_N...@giganews.com:

Catwoman

> 7. Brainiac, General Zod, and Mr. Mxyzptlk opposed what comic
> book hero?

Superman

> 8. New Gods was a DC comic created by Jack Kirby that appeared
> in 1971. The head bad guy was Darkseid. He was the one of
> the inspirations for what movie villain?
>
> 9. The Crimson Dynamo, the Mandarin, the Melter, and (most
> important) Thanos first menaced what Marvel superhero?
>
> 10. What super *team* did Zemo oppose?
>

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round of Cards
>
> This is the challenge round, and your categories are:
>
> A. Sports: Scotties Tournament of Hearts
> B. Miscellaneous: Mr. Spayed and Neutered
> C. "Science": Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend
> D. History: Social Clubs
> E. Entertainment: Aces in Music
> F. Literature: Jacks in Paperbacks
>
> Play cards!
>

> * A. Scotties Tournament of Hearts
>
> A1. What Southern Ontario city is hosting the 2017 Scotties
> Tournament of Hearts, being held from February 16 to 26?
>
> A2. At the 2016 tournament which province's team, led by skip
> Chelsea Carey, emerged victorious? Hint: They had home-ice
> advantage.
>

> * B. Mr. Spayed and Neutered
>
> B1. What long-running game show did Bob Barker host for
> 18 years before joining "The Price is Right" in 1972?

Truth or Consequences

> B2. From 1967 to 1988, Barker hosted what annual televised event?

Miss USA

> * C. Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend
>
> C1. Diamond is the birthstone for which month?

April
Bauer

Pete Gayde

Jason Kreitzer

Jun 24, 2017, 1:58:38 PM6/24/17
On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 9:11:19 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-13,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Literature - Comic Book Villains
>
> 1. Black Manta is the arch-foe of what DC superhero, soon to appear
> on movie screens?
Aquaman
> 2. The Absorbing Man, Mr. Hyde, the Midgard Serpent, the Human
> Cobra, and the Destroyer are all enemies of, principally,
> what Marvel superhero?
>
> 3. Who is Green Lantern's arch-nemesis? He appeared in the Ryan
> Reynolds movie bomb.
Sinestro
> 4. Shiwan Khan was the arch-nemesis of what pulp hero and comic
> book hero, who also had a movie starring Alec Baldwin?
>
> 5. What namesake of a founding member of the Fantastic Four was
> a hero in Marvel Comics #1 (October 1939), then came back in the
> 1960s to menace the Fantastic Four, before being deactivated?
> He had the same name and powers as the Fantastic Four member.
>
> 6. Who was the first female villain in comics?
Catwoman?
> 7. Brainiac, General Zod, and Mr. Mxyzptlk opposed what comic
> book hero?
Superman
> 8. New Gods was a DC comic created by Jack Kirby that appeared
> in 1971. The head bad guy was Darkseid. He was the one of
> the inspirations for what movie villain?
Darth Vader
> 9. The Crimson Dynamo, the Mandarin, the Melter, and (most
> important) Thanos first menaced what Marvel superhero?
Spider-Man
> 10. What super *team* did Zemo oppose?
The X-Men?
Ace of Base
> E2. This British heavy-metal band's fifth studio album
> "Powerslave" featured the singles "Aces High" and "Two
> Minutes to Midnight". They'll make a stop in Toronto
> this July. Name the group.
Iron Maiden

> * F. Jacks in Paperbacks
>
> F1. There are 21 novels in the popular Jack Reacher series.
> Tom Cruise portrays Reacher in two films. Who is the
> *author* of the series?
>
> F2. This fictional Jack was created by Tom Clancy and appears
> in many of his novels, starting with "The Hunt for Red
> October". Name this *character*.
Jack Ryan

Marc Dashevsky

Jun 24, 2017, 10:35:53 PM6/24/17
In article <BLKdnUhUrc-shNbE...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Literature - Comic Book Villains
>
> 1. Black Manta is the arch-foe of what DC superhero, soon to appear
> on movie screens?
>
> 2. The Absorbing Man, Mr. Hyde, the Midgard Serpent, the Human
> Cobra, and the Destroyer are all enemies of, principally,
> what Marvel superhero?
>
> 3. Who is Green Lantern's arch-nemesis? He appeared in the Ryan
> Reynolds movie bomb.
>
> 4. Shiwan Khan was the arch-nemesis of what pulp hero and comic
> book hero, who also had a movie starring Alec Baldwin?
>
> 5. What namesake of a founding member of the Fantastic Four was
> a hero in Marvel Comics #1 (October 1939), then came back in the
> 1960s to menace the Fantastic Four, before being deactivated?
> He had the same name and powers as the Fantastic Four member.
>
> 6. Who was the first female villain in comics?
>
> 7. Brainiac, General Zod, and Mr. Mxyzptlk opposed what comic
> book hero?
Superman

> 8. New Gods was a DC comic created by Jack Kirby that appeared
> in 1971. The head bad guy was Darkseid. He was the one of
> the inspirations for what movie villain?
>
> 9. The Crimson Dynamo, the Mandarin, the Melter, and (most
> important) Thanos first menaced what Marvel superhero?
>
> 10. What super *team* did Zemo oppose?
>

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round of Cards
>
> This is the challenge round, and your categories are:
>
> A. Sports: Scotties Tournament of Hearts
> B. Miscellaneous: Mr. Spayed and Neutered
> C. "Science": Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend
> D. History: Social Clubs
> E. Entertainment: Aces in Music
> F. Literature: Jacks in Paperbacks
>
> Play cards!
>

> * A. Scotties Tournament of Hearts
>
> A1. What Southern Ontario city is hosting the 2017 Scotties
> Tournament of Hearts, being held from February 16 to 26?
>
> A2. At the 2016 tournament which province's team, led by skip
> Chelsea Carey, emerged victorious? Hint: They had home-ice
> advantage.
>

> * B. Mr. Spayed and Neutered
>
> B1. What long-running game show did Bob Barker host for
> 18 years before joining "The Price is Right" in 1972?
Truth Or Consequences

> B2. From 1967 to 1988, Barker hosted what annual televised event?
Rose Bowl Parade

> * C. Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend
>
> C1. Diamond is the birthstone for which month?
July

> C2. The word diamond comes from the Greek word "adamas".
> What does "adamas" mean?
unchanging

> * D. Social Clubs
>
> D1. Founded in 1882, this private Toronto club, situated at
> 91 King St. E., has long been a haven for Conservative
> Party supporters. Sir John A. Macdonald was its first
> honorary president, and Mike Harris and Brian Mulroney are
> currently members. Name it.
>
> D2. This private Toronto club, located in a historic building
> at 14 Elm St., was established in 1908. Its membership
> includes writers, architects, artists, designers, musicians,
> and actors. The Group of Seven members were among its
> past luminaries. Name it.
>

> * E. Aces in Music
>
> E1. This Swedish pop group had one of the best-selling debut
> albums of all time. Their 1992 release featured the hits
> "All That She Wants" and "The Sign". Name the group.
Ace of Base

> E2. This British heavy-metal band's fifth studio album
> "Powerslave" featured the singles "Aces High" and "Two
> Minutes to Midnight". They'll make a stop in Toronto
> this July. Name the group.
>

> * F. Jacks in Paperbacks
>
> F1. There are 21 novels in the popular Jack Reacher series.
> Tom Cruise portrays Reacher in two films. Who is the
> *author* of the series?
>
> F2. This fictional Jack was created by Tom Clancy and appears
> in many of his novels, starting with "The Hunt for Red
> October". Name this *character*.
Jack Ryan

Mark Brader

Jun 24, 2017, 11:21:45 PM6/24/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-13,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 5 is over and Stephen Perry has returned from null-space to
whomp the field. Hearty congratulations and welcome back to QFTCI!

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Literature - Comic Book Villains

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. Black Manta is the arch-foe of what DC superhero, soon to appear
> on movie screens?

Aquaman. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Gareth, and Jason.

> 2. The Absorbing Man, Mr. Hyde, the Midgard Serpent, the Human
> Cobra, and the Destroyer are all enemies of, principally,
> what Marvel superhero?

Thor. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. Who is Green Lantern's arch-nemesis? He appeared in the Ryan
> Reynolds movie bomb.

Sinestro. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Gareth, and Jason.

> 4. Shiwan Khan was the arch-nemesis of what pulp hero and comic
> book hero, who also had a movie starring Alec Baldwin?

The Shadow. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

> 5. What namesake of a founding member of the Fantastic Four was
> a hero in Marvel Comics #1 (October 1939), then came back in the
> 1960s to menace the Fantastic Four, before being deactivated?
> He had the same name and powers as the Fantastic Four member.

The Human Torch. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Gareth.

> 6. Who was the first female villain in comics?

Catwoman (Selina Kyle -- or "the Cat", her name in her earliest
appearances starting in 1940). 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Dan Tilque,
Gareth, Pete, and Jason.

> 7. Brainiac, General Zod, and Mr. Mxyzptlk opposed what comic
> book hero?

Superman. (Also accepting Supergirl, if you think "hero" includes
women.) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Bruce, Stephen, Dan Tilque, Gareth,
Pete, Jason, and Marc.

> 8. New Gods was a DC comic created by Jack Kirby that appeared
> in 1971. The head bad guy was Darkseid. He was the one of
> the inspirations for what movie villain?

Darth Vader. 4 for Dan Blum, Gareth, and Jason.

> 9. The Crimson Dynamo, the Mandarin, the Melter, and (most
> important) Thanos first menaced what Marvel superhero?

Iron Man. 4 for Stephen and Gareth. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 10. What super *team* did Zemo oppose?

The Avengers. (Also accepting S.H.I.E.L.D.) 4 for Dan Blum,
Stephen, and Gareth.

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round of Cards

> This is the challenge round, and your categories are:

> A. Sports: Scotties Tournament of Hearts
> B. Miscellaneous: Mr. Spayed and Neutered
> C. "Science": Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend
> D. History: Social Clubs
> E. Entertainment: Aces in Music
> F. Literature: Jacks in Paperbacks

> Play cards!

> * A. Scotties Tournament of Hearts

For anyone still lost, it's the Canadian women's curling championship.

> A1. What Southern Ontario city is hosting the 2017 Scotties
> Tournament of Hearts, being held from February 16 to 26?

St. Catharines. 4 for Stephen.

> A2. At the 2016 tournament which province's team, led by skip
> Chelsea Carey, emerged victorious? Hint: They had home-ice
> advantage.

Alberta. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Joshua.

> * B. Mr. Spayed and Neutered

(Referring to one of his pet causes -- pun intended.)

> B1. What long-running game show did Bob Barker host for
> 18 years before joining "The Price is Right" in 1972?

"Truth or Consequences". 4 for Joshua, Bruce, Stephen, Dan Tilque,
Pete, and Marc.

> B2. From 1967 to 1988, Barker hosted what annual televised event?

The Miss USA beauty pageant. 4 for Stephen and Pete.

> * C. Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend

> C1. Diamond is the birthstone for which month?

April. 4 for Stephen and Pete. 2 for Calvin and Gareth.

> C2. The word diamond comes from the Greek word "adamas".
> What does "adamas" mean?

Invincible or indestructible. I accepted "unbreakable" or
"unconquerable", but not "hard" or "unchanging". 4 for Dan Blum
and Stephen (the hard way). 2 for Calvin.

> * D. Social Clubs

> D1. Founded in 1882, this private Toronto club, situated at
> 91 King St. E., has long been a haven for Conservative
> Party supporters. Sir John A. Macdonald was its first
> honorary president, and Mike Harris and Brian Mulroney are
> currently members. Name it.

Albany Club. 4 for Stephen.

> D2. This private Toronto club, located in a historic building
> at 14 Elm St., was established in 1908. Its membership
> includes writers, architects, artists, designers, musicians,
> and actors. The Group of Seven members were among its
> past luminaries. Name it.

Arts and Letters Club. 4 for Stephen.

> * E. Aces in Music

> E1. This Swedish pop group had one of the best-selling debut
> albums of all time. Their 1992 release featured the hits
> "All That She Wants" and "The Sign". Name the group.

Ace of Base. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Calvin, Bruce, Erland, Stephen,
Gareth, Jason, and Marc.

> E2. This British heavy-metal band's fifth studio album
> "Powerslave" featured the singles "Aces High" and "Two
> Minutes to Midnight". They'll make a stop in Toronto
> this July. Name the group.

Iron Maiden. 4 for Stephen, Gareth, and Jason.

> * F. Jacks in Paperbacks

> F1. There are 21 novels in the popular Jack Reacher series.
> Tom Cruise portrays Reacher in two films. Who is the
> *author* of the series?

Lee Child. 4 for Bruce, Stephen, and Gareth.

> F2. This fictional Jack was created by Tom Clancy and appears
> in many of his novels, starting with "The Hunt for Red
> October". Name this *character*.

Jack Ryan. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Calvin, Bruce, Stephen,
Dan Tilque, Gareth, Jason, and Marc.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Spo Ent Sci Geo Lit Cha FIVE
Stephen Perry -- 40 36 40 40 36 48 204
Gareth Owen -- 36 36 24 8 32 18 146
Joshua Kreitzer 4 30 40 16 40 8 15 141
Dan Blum -- 4 28 22 32 39 12 133
Pete Gayde -- 40 16 23 40 8 12 131
Bruce Bowler -- 16 0 32 36 4 16 104
"Calvin" 0 23 31 27 7 0 12 100
Jason Kreitzer 0 16 16 16 24 20 12 92
Dan Tilque -- 8 8 20 40 12 8 88
Peter Smyth 4 31 8 0 24 -- -- 67
Erland Sommarskog -- 20 0 0 28 0 4 52
Marc Dashevsky 0 16 20 -- -- 4 12 52

--
Mark Brader | "... [A]toms and universes are the same. All the
Toronto | world is recursive, and that's why we never