QFTCIC Game 7, Rounds 7-8: trophies and bottles

Mark Brader

Jan 23, 2014, 5:24:11 PM1/23/14
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-11-04,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Clueless, and are used
here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been
retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my
2013-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 7, Round 7 - Sports - Trophies.

For questions #1-6, we will give the name or nickname of a trophy,
and you name the tournament, championship, competition, or event
whose winner or winners receive it.

1. Claret Jug (nickname).
2. Borg-Warner Trophy.
3. Webb Ellis Cup.
4. Larry O'Brien Championship Trophy.
5. Venus Rosewater Dish.
6. "The Auld Mug" (nickname), first awarded in 1851.

For questions #7-10, name the trophy.

7. This NHL trophy is awarded to the league's most outstanding
*rookie* player of the year. The most recent winner is Jonathan
Huberdeau.

8. Name *either* of the two trophies awarded to the top male and
top female athlete of the year, as voted by the sportswriters
of the Canadian Press. In 2012, the winners were Ryder Hesjedal
and Christine Sinclair.

9. Bud Selig just awarded this trophy to the World Series champion
Boston Red Sox last week. Name the trophy.

10. This trophy has awarded annually since 1935 to the person
deemed the most outstanding player in US collegiate football.
In 2012, Johnny Manziel became the first freshman player to
win it.

* Game 7, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Booze Bottles (HANDOUT)

Bottles of booze often have distinctive shapes. We'll give you
the number of a silhouette on the handout

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/7-8/booze.pdf

and the general type of alcohol, and you tell us the specific brand.
Note that the bottles are not necessarily to scale.

Again, for this medium I'll put them in numerical order and include
the 4 decoys in the sequence. Answer those if you like for fun,
but for no points.

1. An Irish coffee/chocolate liqueur.
2. A French black raspberry liqueur.
3. An Italian liqueur.
4. A blended Canadian whiskey.
5. A French cognac-based liqueur.
6. A Jamaican rum.
7. (decoy) a Kentucky bourbon whiskey.
8. A German digestif.
9. (decoy) a Mexican coffee-flavoured rum-based liqueur.
10. (decoy) an English gin.
11. A Trinidad and Tobago black spiced rum.
12. (decoy) a Russian vodka.
13. A variety of Swiss schnapps.
14. An Italian liqueur.

--
Mark Brader | Are governments capable of evil? Yes, of course they are.
Toronto | All institutions are. But they're MORE capable of incompetence.

Peter Smyth

Jan 23, 2014, 6:25:13 PM1/23/14
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-11-04,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Clueless, and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been
> retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my
> 2013-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Sports - Trophies.
>
> For questions #1-6, we will give the name or nickname of a trophy,
> and you name the tournament, championship, competition, or event
> whose winner or winners receive it.
>
> 1. Claret Jug (nickname).
The Open Championship
> 2. Borg-Warner Trophy.
> 3. Webb Ellis Cup.
Rugby Union World Cup
> 4. Larry O'Brien Championship Trophy.
> 5. Venus Rosewater Dish.
Wimbledon Ladies Singles
> 6. "The Auld Mug" (nickname), first awarded in 1851.
>
> For questions #7-10, name the trophy.
>
> 7. This NHL trophy is awarded to the league's most outstanding
> rookie player of the year. The most recent winner is Jonathan
> Huberdeau.
Conn Smythe Trophy
> 8. Name either of the two trophies awarded to the top male and
> top female athlete of the year, as voted by the sportswriters
> of the Canadian Press. In 2012, the winners were Ryder Hesjedal
> and Christine Sinclair.
>
> 9. Bud Selig just awarded this trophy to the World Series champion
> Boston Red Sox last week. Name the trophy.
>
> 10. This trophy has awarded annually since 1935 to the person
> deemed the most outstanding player in US collegiate football.
> In 2012, Johnny Manziel became the first freshman player to
> win it.
Heisman Trophy

Peter Smyth

swp

Jan 23, 2014, 7:17:55 PM1/23/14
On Thursday, January 23, 2014 5:24:11 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> * Game 7, Round 7 - Sports - Trophies.
>
> For questions #1-6, we will give the name or nickname of a trophy,
> and you name the tournament, championship, competition, or event
> whose winner or winners receive it.
>
> 1. Claret Jug (nickname).

the open championship (golf)

> 2. Borg-Warner Trophy.

indy 500 champion

> 3. Webb Ellis Cup.

rugby world cup

> 4. Larry O'Brien Championship Trophy.

nba championship

> 5. Venus Rosewater Dish.

women's singles champion at wimbleton

> 6. "The Auld Mug" (nickname), first awarded in 1851.

the america's cup

> For questions #7-10, name the trophy.
>
> 7. This NHL trophy is awarded to the league's most outstanding
> *rookie* player of the year. The most recent winner is Jonathan
> Huberdeau.

calder cup

> 8. Name *either* of the two trophies awarded to the top male and
> top female athlete of the year, as voted by the sportswriters
> of the Canadian Press. In 2012, the winners were Ryder Hesjedal
> and Christine Sinclair.

lou marsh trophy ; bobby rosenfeld trophy (sinclair won both, so it must be one of them)

> 9. Bud Selig just awarded this trophy to the World Series champion
> Boston Red Sox last week. Name the trophy.

commissioner's trophy

> 10. This trophy has awarded annually since 1935 to the person
> deemed the most outstanding player in US collegiate football.
> In 2012, Johnny Manziel became the first freshman player to
> win it.

heisman trophy

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Booze Bottles (HANDOUT)
>
> Bottles of booze often have distinctive shapes. We'll give you
> the number of a silhouette on the handout
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/7-8/booze.pdf
>
> and the general type of alcohol, and you tell us the specific brand.
> Note that the bottles are not necessarily to scale.
>
> Again, for this medium I'll put them in numerical order and include
> the 4 decoys in the sequence. Answer those if you like for fun,
> but for no points.
>
> 1. An Irish coffee/chocolate liqueur.

sheridan's

> 2. A French black raspberry liqueur.

chambord

> 3. An Italian liqueur.

disaronno

> 4. A blended Canadian whiskey.

crown royal (the purple bag was what I kept my d&d dice in)

> 5. A French cognac-based liqueur.

grand marnier

> 6. A Jamaican rum.

appleton estate

> 7. (decoy) a Kentucky bourbon whiskey.

makers mark

> 8. A German digestif.

jagermeister

> 9. (decoy) a Mexican coffee-flavoured rum-based liqueur.

kahlua (one of my wife's favorites)

> 10. (decoy) an English gin.

rangpur

> 11. A Trinidad and Tobago black spiced rum.

kraken (release the kraken!)

> 12. (decoy) a Russian vodka.

russian standard platinum?

> 13. A variety of Swiss schnapps.

goldschlager

> 14. An Italian liqueur.

frangelico (amaaro montenegro is better)

swp, who is going back into his crypt right after the aa meeting

Dan Blum

Jan 23, 2014, 8:49:24 PM1/23/14
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Sports - Trophies.

> 6. "The Auld Mug" (nickname), first awarded in 1851.

America's Cup

> For questions #7-10, name the trophy.

> 10. This trophy has awarded annually since 1935 to the person
> deemed the most outstanding player in US collegiate football.
> In 2012, Johnny Manziel became the first freshman player to
> win it.

Heisman

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Booze Bottles (HANDOUT)

> 4. A blended Canadian whiskey.

Crown Royal

> 5. A French cognac-based liqueur.

Grand Marnier

> 14. An Italian liqueur.

Campari

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Jan 23, 2014, 11:28:06 PM1/23/14
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Sports - Trophies.
>
> For questions #1-6, we will give the name or nickname of a trophy,
> and you name the tournament, championship, competition, or event
> whose winner or winners receive it.
>
> 1. Claret Jug (nickname).

The Open Championship

> 2. Borg-Warner Trophy.

Indianapolis 500

> 4. Larry O'Brien Championship Trophy.

NBA championship

> 6. "The Auld Mug" (nickname), first awarded in 1851.

America's Cup; The Open Championship

> For questions #7-10, name the trophy.
>
> 7. This NHL trophy is awarded to the league's most outstanding
> *rookie* player of the year. The most recent winner is Jonathan
> Huberdeau.

Calder Trophy

> 9. Bud Selig just awarded this trophy to the World Series champion
> Boston Red Sox last week. Name the trophy.

Commissioner's Trophy

> 10. This trophy has awarded annually since 1935 to the person
> deemed the most outstanding player in US collegiate football.
> In 2012, Johnny Manziel became the first freshman player to
> win it.

Heisman Trophy

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Booze Bottles (HANDOUT)
>
> Bottles of booze often have distinctive shapes. We'll give you
> the number of a silhouette on the handout
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/7-8/booze.pdf
>
> and the general type of alcohol, and you tell us the specific brand.
>
> 1. An Irish coffee/chocolate liqueur.

Bailey's

> 2. A French black raspberry liqueur.

Drambuie

> 3. An Italian liqueur.

Frangelico

> 4. A blended Canadian whiskey.

Canadian Club

> 6. A Jamaican rum.

Myers

> 8. A German digestif.

Jagermeister; Goldschlager

> 9. (decoy) a Mexican coffee-flavoured rum-based liqueur.

Kahlua

> 14. An Italian liqueur.

Frangelico

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Jan 24, 2014, 5:49:21 AM1/24/14
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Sports - Trophies.
>
> For questions #1-6, we will give the name or nickname of a trophy,
> and you name the tournament, championship, competition, or event
> whose winner or winners receive it.
>
> 1. Claret Jug (nickname).

British Open

> 2. Borg-Warner Trophy.
> 3. Webb Ellis Cup.
> 4. Larry O'Brien Championship Trophy.

National Basketball Association Championship

> 5. Venus Rosewater Dish.
> 6. "The Auld Mug" (nickname), first awarded in 1851.
>
> For questions #7-10, name the trophy.
>
> 7. This NHL trophy is awarded to the league's most outstanding
> *rookie* player of the year. The most recent winner is Jonathan
> Huberdeau.
>
> 8. Name *either* of the two trophies awarded to the top male and
> top female athlete of the year, as voted by the sportswriters
> of the Canadian Press. In 2012, the winners were Ryder Hesjedal
> and Christine Sinclair.
>
> 9. Bud Selig just awarded this trophy to the World Series champion
> Boston Red Sox last week. Name the trophy.
>
> 10. This trophy has awarded annually since 1935 to the person
> deemed the most outstanding player in US collegiate football.
> In 2012, Johnny Manziel became the first freshman player to
> win it.

Heismann Trophy

--
Dan Tilque

Helix, if everything goes according to plan, the plan has been
compromised. -- Sam Starfall in "Freefall"

Jeffrey Turner

Jan 24, 2014, 12:58:14 PM1/24/14
On 1/23/2014 5:24 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Sports - Trophies.
>
> For questions #1-6, we will give the name or nickname of a trophy,
> and you name the tournament, championship, competition, or event
> whose winner or winners receive it.
>
> 1. Claret Jug (nickname).
British Open
> 2. Borg-Warner Trophy.
> 3. Webb Ellis Cup.
> 4. Larry O'Brien Championship Trophy.
> 5. Venus Rosewater Dish.
> 6. "The Auld Mug" (nickname), first awarded in 1851.
>
> For questions #7-10, name the trophy.
>
> 7. This NHL trophy is awarded to the league's most outstanding
> *rookie* player of the year. The most recent winner is Jonathan
> Huberdeau.

Vezina

> 8. Name *either* of the two trophies awarded to the top male and
> top female athlete of the year, as voted by the sportswriters
> of the Canadian Press. In 2012, the winners were Ryder Hesjedal
> and Christine Sinclair.
>
> 9. Bud Selig just awarded this trophy to the World Series champion
> Boston Red Sox last week. Name the trophy.
>
> 10. This trophy has awarded annually since 1935 to the person
> deemed the most outstanding player in US collegiate football.
> In 2012, Johnny Manziel became the first freshman player to
> win it.

Heisman

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Booze Bottles (HANDOUT)
>
> Bottles of booze often have distinctive shapes. We'll give you
> the number of a silhouette on the handout
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/7-8/booze.pdf
>
> and the general type of alcohol, and you tell us the specific brand.
> Note that the bottles are not necessarily to scale.
>
> Again, for this medium I'll put them in numerical order and include
> the 4 decoys in the sequence. Answer those if you like for fun,
> but for no points.
>
> 1. An Irish coffee/chocolate liqueur.
> 2. A French black raspberry liqueur.
Drambuie
> 3. An Italian liqueur.
Amaretto
> 4. A blended Canadian whiskey.
Crown Royal
> 5. A French cognac-based liqueur.
> 6. A Jamaican rum.
> 7. (decoy) a Kentucky bourbon whiskey.
> 8. A German digestif.
> 9. (decoy) a Mexican coffee-flavoured rum-based liqueur.
> 10. (decoy) an English gin.
> 11. A Trinidad and Tobago black spiced rum.
Captain Morgan
> 12. (decoy) a Russian vodka.
> 13. A variety of Swiss schnapps.
> 14. An Italian liqueur.
Frangelico

--Jeff

Bruce Bowler

Jan 24, 2014, 2:11:29 PM1/24/14
On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 16:24:11 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-11-04, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Clueless, and are used here by
> permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped and/or
> edited by me. For further information see my 2013-09-15 companion
> posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Sports - Trophies.
>
> For questions #1-6, we will give the name or nickname of a trophy, and
> you name the tournament, championship, competition, or event whose
> winner or winners receive it.
>
> 1. Claret Jug (nickname).

Golf Championship

> 2. Borg-Warner Trophy.

Indy 500

> 3. Webb Ellis Cup.
> 4. Larry O'Brien Championship Trophy.
> 5. Venus Rosewater Dish.
> 6. "The Auld Mug" (nickname), first awarded in 1851.

Curling Championship

> For questions #7-10, name the trophy.
>
> 7. This NHL trophy is awarded to the league's most outstanding
> *rookie* player of the year. The most recent winner is Jonathan
> Huberdeau.
>
> 8. Name *either* of the two trophies awarded to the top male and
> top female athlete of the year, as voted by the sportswriters of the
> Canadian Press. In 2012, the winners were Ryder Hesjedal and
> Christine Sinclair.
>
> 9. Bud Selig just awarded this trophy to the World Series champion
> Boston Red Sox last week. Name the trophy.
>
> 10. This trophy has awarded annually since 1935 to the person
> deemed the most outstanding player in US collegiate football. In
> 2012, Johnny Manziel became the first freshman player to win it.

Heisman trophy

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Booze Bottles (HANDOUT)
>
> Bottles of booze often have distinctive shapes. We'll give you the
> number of a silhouette on the handout
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/7-8/booze.pdf
>
> and the general type of alcohol, and you tell us the specific brand.
> Note that the bottles are not necessarily to scale.
>
> Again, for this medium I'll put them in numerical order and include the
> 4 decoys in the sequence. Answer those if you like for fun, but for no
> points.
>
> 1. An Irish coffee/chocolate liqueur.

St Brendan

> 2. A French black raspberry liqueur.
> 3. An Italian liqueur.

Ameretto de Sarona

> 4. A blended Canadian whiskey.

Crown Royal

> 5. A French cognac-based liqueur.

Hennesey VSOP

> 6. A Jamaican rum.
> 7. (decoy) a Kentucky bourbon whiskey.

Makers Mark

> 8. A German digestif.
> 9. (decoy) a Mexican coffee-flavoured rum-based liqueur.

Kahlua

> 10. (decoy) an English gin.
> 11. A Trinidad and Tobago black spiced rum.

Kraken

> 12. (decoy) a Russian vodka.
> 13. A variety of Swiss schnapps.
> 14. An Italian liqueur.

Frangelica

calvin

Jan 25, 2014, 4:42:24 PM1/25/14
On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 08:24:11 +1000, Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Sports - Trophies.
>
> For questions #1-6, we will give the name or nickname of a trophy,
> and you name the tournament, championship, competition, or event
> whose winner or winners receive it.
>
> 1. Claret Jug (nickname).

British Open (golf)

> 2. Borg-Warner Trophy.
> 3. Webb Ellis Cup.

Rugby Union World Cup

> 4. Larry O'Brien Championship Trophy.
> 5. Venus Rosewater Dish.

Wimbledon ladies singles (tennis)

> 6. "The Auld Mug" (nickname), first awarded in 1851.

America's Cup (yachting)
Captain Morgan

> 7. (decoy) a Kentucky bourbon whiskey.
> 8. A German digestif.

Jagermeister

> 9. (decoy) a Mexican coffee-flavoured rum-based liqueur.

Kahlua

> 10. (decoy) an English gin.

Gordons

> 11. A Trinidad and Tobago black spiced rum.
> 12. (decoy) a Russian vodka.

Smirnoff

> 13. A variety of Swiss schnapps.
> 14. An Italian liqueur.

Frangelico

--
cheers,
calvin

Marc Dashevsky

Jan 25, 2014, 11:00:36 PM1/25/14
In article <8LudnVPNboMWC3zP...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 7, Round 7 - Sports - Trophies.
>
> For questions #1-6, we will give the name or nickname of a trophy,
> and you name the tournament, championship, competition, or event
> whose winner or winners receive it.
>
> 1. Claret Jug (nickname).
> 2. Borg-Warner Trophy.
> 3. Webb Ellis Cup.
> 4. Larry O'Brien Championship Trophy.
NBA Finals

> 5. Venus Rosewater Dish.
> 6. "The Auld Mug" (nickname), first awarded in 1851.
>
> For questions #7-10, name the trophy.
>
> 7. This NHL trophy is awarded to the league's most outstanding
> *rookie* player of the year. The most recent winner is Jonathan
> Huberdeau.
>
> 8. Name *either* of the two trophies awarded to the top male and
> top female athlete of the year, as voted by the sportswriters
> of the Canadian Press. In 2012, the winners were Ryder Hesjedal
> and Christine Sinclair.
>
> 9. Bud Selig just awarded this trophy to the World Series champion
> Boston Red Sox last week. Name the trophy.
>
> 10. This trophy has awarded annually since 1935 to the person
> deemed the most outstanding player in US collegiate football.
> In 2012, Johnny Manziel became the first freshman player to
> win it.
Heisman

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Booze Bottles (HANDOUT)
>
> Bottles of booze often have distinctive shapes. We'll give you
> the number of a silhouette on the handout
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/7-8/booze.pdf
>
> and the general type of alcohol, and you tell us the specific brand.
> Note that the bottles are not necessarily to scale.
>
> Again, for this medium I'll put them in numerical order and include
> the 4 decoys in the sequence. Answer those if you like for fun,
> but for no points.
>
> 1. An Irish coffee/chocolate liqueur.
> 2. A French black raspberry liqueur.
Chambord

> 3. An Italian liqueur.
Amaretto

> 4. A blended Canadian whiskey.
> 5. A French cognac-based liqueur.
Courvoisier

> 6. A Jamaican rum.
> 7. (decoy) a Kentucky bourbon whiskey.
> 8. A German digestif.
Jagermeister

> 9. (decoy) a Mexican coffee-flavoured rum-based liqueur.
> 10. (decoy) an English gin.
Tangueray

> 11. A Trinidad and Tobago black spiced rum.
> 12. (decoy) a Russian vodka.
> 13. A variety of Swiss schnapps.
> 14. An Italian liqueur.
Frangelico

Pete

Jan 26, 2014, 4:08:51 PM1/26/14
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-11-04,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Clueless, and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been
> retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my
> 2013-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Sports - Trophies.
>
> For questions #1-6, we will give the name or nickname of a trophy,
> and you name the tournament, championship, competition, or event
> whose winner or winners receive it.
>
> 1. Claret Jug (nickname).

British Open

> 2. Borg-Warner Trophy.

Indianapolis 500

> 3. Webb Ellis Cup.

Rugby World Cup

> 4. Larry O'Brien Championship Trophy.

NBA

> 5. Venus Rosewater Dish.

Wimbledon

> 6. "The Auld Mug" (nickname), first awarded in 1851.

Americas Cup

> For questions #7-10, name the trophy.
>
> 7. This NHL trophy is awarded to the league's most outstanding
> *rookie* player of the year. The most recent winner is Jonathan
> Huberdeau.
>
> 8. Name *either* of the two trophies awarded to the top male and
> top female athlete of the year, as voted by the sportswriters
> of the Canadian Press. In 2012, the winners were Ryder Hesjedal
> and Christine Sinclair.
>
> 9. Bud Selig just awarded this trophy to the World Series champion
> Boston Red Sox last week. Name the trophy.

Kuhn Trophy

> 10. This trophy has awarded annually since 1935 to the person
> deemed the most outstanding player in US collegiate football.
> In 2012, Johnny Manziel became the first freshman player to
> win it.

Heisman Trophy

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Booze Bottles (HANDOUT)
>
> Bottles of booze often have distinctive shapes. We'll give you
> the number of a silhouette on the handout
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/7-8/booze.pdf
>
> and the general type of alcohol, and you tell us the specific brand.
> Note that the bottles are not necessarily to scale.
>
> Again, for this medium I'll put them in numerical order and include
> the 4 decoys in the sequence. Answer those if you like for fun,
> but for no points.
>
> 1. An Irish coffee/chocolate liqueur.

13

1

> 3. An Italian liqueur.

10

9

2

8

7

4

> 9. (decoy) a Mexican coffee-flavoured rum-based liqueur.

11

3

5

> 12. (decoy) a Russian vodka.

12

6

> 14. An Italian liqueur.

14

Pete

Pete

Jan 26, 2014, 4:11:57 PM1/26/14
Pete <pag...@wowway.com> wrote in

>> * Game 7, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Booze Bottles (HANDOUT)
>>
>> Bottles of booze often have distinctive shapes. We'll give you
>> the number of a silhouette on the handout
>>
>> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/7-8/booze.pdf
>>
>> and the general type of alcohol, and you tell us the specific brand.
>> Note that the bottles are not necessarily to scale.

Oops!

Read the instructions next time!

Pete

Mark Brader

Jan 26, 2014, 4:33:47 PM1/26/14
Pete Gayde:
> Oops!
> Read the instructions next time!

And if you *are* going to misunderstand, guess better!
You only "got" 3 right, and 2 of those were decoys!
--
Mark Brader, Toronto |"--", Paul said, and then repeated it for emphasis.
m...@vex.net | --Spider Robinson, "Lifehouse"

Mark Brader

Jan 26, 2014, 4:42:41 PM1/26/14
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-11-04,
> see my 2013-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Sports - Trophies.

> For questions #1-6, we will give the name or nickname of a trophy,
> and you name the tournament, championship, competition, or event
> whose winner or winners receive it.

> 1. Claret Jug (nickname).

The (British) Open Championship of golf. 4 for Peter, Stephen,
Joshua, Dan Tilque, Jeff, Calvin, and Pete.

> 2. Borg-Warner Trophy.

Indianapolis 500 (car racing). 4 for Stephen, Joshua, Bruce,
and Pete.

> 3. Webb Ellis Cup.

Rugby World Cup. 4 for Peter, Stephen, Calvin, and Pete.

> 4. Larry O'Brien Championship Trophy.

NBA Finals. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Marc, and Pete.

> 5. Venus Rosewater Dish.

Women's singles at the (tennis) Championships, Wimbledon.
Any reference to Wimbledon was sufficient. 4 for Peter, Stephen,
Calvin, and Pete.

> 6. "The Auld Mug" (nickname), first awarded in 1851.

America's Cup yacht race. 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, Calvin, and Pete.
3 for Joshua.

> For questions #7-10, name the trophy.

> 7. This NHL trophy is awarded to the league's most outstanding
> *rookie* player of the year. The most recent winner is Jonathan
> Huberdeau.

Calder Memorial Trophy. I accepted Calder Trophy, but not Calder Cup,
which is the AHL championship trophy. 4 for Joshua.

> 8. Name *either* of the two trophies awarded to the top male and
> top female athlete of the year, as voted by the sportswriters
> of the Canadian Press. In 2012, the winners were Ryder Hesjedal
> and Christine Sinclair.

Lionel Conacher Trophy, Bobbie Rosenfeld Trophy, respectively.
(Not the Lou Marsh Award, which goes to both sexes and is voted
on by members of various news organizations, not only the CP.)
2 for Stephen.

> 9. Bud Selig just awarded this trophy to the World Series champion
> Boston Red Sox last week. Name the trophy.

Commissioner's Trophy. 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

> 10. This trophy has awarded annually since 1935 to the person
> deemed the most outstanding player in US collegiate football.
> In 2012, Johnny Manziel became the first freshman player to
> win it.

Heisman Trophy. 4 for Peter, Stephen, Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
Jeff, Bruce, Marc, and Pete.

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Booze Bottles (HANDOUT)

> Bottles of booze often have distinctive shapes. We'll give you
> the number of a silhouette on the handout

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/7-8/booze.pdf

> and the general type of alcohol, and you tell us the specific brand.
> Note that the bottles are not necessarily to scale.

> Again, for this medium I'll put them in numerical order and include
> the 4 decoys in the sequence. Answer those if you like for fun,
> but for no points.

This was the easiest round in the original game.

> 1. An Irish coffee/chocolate liqueur.

Sheridan's. 4 for Stephen.

> 2. A French black raspberry liqueur.

Chambord. 4 for Stephen and Marc.

> 3. An Italian liqueur.

Disaronno (accepting Amaretto, its previous name). 4 for Stephen,
Jeff, Bruce, and Marc.

> 4. A blended Canadian whiskey.

Crown Royal. 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, Jeff, and Bruce.

> 5. A French cognac-based liqueur.

Grand Marnier. 4 for Stephen and Dan Blum.

> 6. A Jamaican rum.

Appleton Estate. 4 for Stephen.

> 7. (decoy) a Kentucky bourbon whiskey.

Maker's Mark. Stephen and Bruce got this.

> 8. A German digestif.

Jägermeister. 4 for Stephen, Calvin, and Marc. 3 for Joshua.

> 9. (decoy) a Mexican coffee-flavoured rum-based liqueur.

Kahlua. Stephen, Joshua, Bruce, and Calvin got this.

> 10. (decoy) an English gin.

Tanqueray. Marc got this.

> 11. A Trinidad and Tobago black spiced rum.

Kraken. 4 for Stephen and Bruce.

> 12. (decoy) a Russian vodka.

Russian Standard. Stephen got this.

> 13. A variety of Swiss schnapps.

Goldschläger. 4 for Stephen.

> 14. An Italian liqueur.

Frangelico. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, Jeff, Bruce, Calvin, and Marc.

Scores, if there are no errors:

ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> His Geo Can Sci Spo Mis FOUR
Stephen Perry 40 36 4 36 34 40 152
Joshua Kreitzer 35 28 8 28 27 7 118
Dan Blum 28 24 0 21 8 8 81
Marc Dashevsky 20 12 0 32 8 16 80
Pete Gayde 23 28 -- -- 28 0 79
Jeff Turner 12 16 0 36 8 12 76
Dan Tilque 24 8 0 20 12 0 64
Peter Smyth 16 28 -- -- 16 0 60
Jason Kreitzer 24 12 0 0 -- -- 36
Rob Parker 4 4 0 18 -- -- 26
Bruce Bowler -- -- -- -- 8 16 24
"Calvin" -- -- -- -- 16 8 24
Erland Sommarskog 8 4 0 8 -- -- 20

--
Mark Brader, "Technically, it is readable by a human being."
Toronto, m...@vex.net -- David Slocombe

Rob Parker

Jan 26, 2014, 4:59:45 PM1/26/14
> * Game 7, Round 7 - Sports - Trophies.
>
> 1. Claret Jug (nickname).

British Open Golf Championship

> 2. Borg-Warner Trophy.

Indianapolis 500 (?)

> 3. Webb Ellis Cup.

Rugby World Cup (Rugby Union)

> 5. Venus Rosewater Dish.

Wimbledon Ladies Champion

> 6. "The Auld Mug" (nickname), first awarded in 1851.

America's Cup

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Booze Bottles (HANDOUT)
>
> 5. A French cognac-based liqueur.

Grand Marnier

> 14. An Italian liqueur.

Frangelico

Rob

Mark Brader

Jan 26, 2014, 8:24:19 PM1/26/14
I'll accept Rob Parker's answer slate, as it was probably already being
composed while I was posting the answers. All his answers are correct,
for 20 points on Round 7 and 8 on Round 8.

Scores, if there are no errors:

ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> His Geo Can Sci Spo Mis FOUR
Stephen Perry 40 36 4 36 34 40 152
Joshua Kreitzer 35 28 8 28 27 7 118
Dan Blum 28 24 0 21 8 8 81
Marc Dashevsky 20 12 0 32 8 16 80
Pete Gayde 23 28 -- -- 28 0 79
Jeff Turner 12 16 0 36 8 12 76
Dan Tilque 24 8 0 20 12 0 64
Peter Smyth 16 28 -- -- 16 0 60
Rob Parker 4 4 0 18 20 8 50
Jason Kreitzer 24 12 0 0 -- -- 36
Bruce Bowler -- -- -- -- 8 16 24
"Calvin" -- -- -- -- 16 8 24
Erland Sommarskog 8 4 0 8 -- -- 20

--
Mark Brader "A hundred billion is *not* infinite
Toronto and it's getting less infinite all the time!"

Rob Parker

Jan 26, 2014, 11:14:56 PM1/26/14
Thanks Mark,

That was exactly what happened.

Rob

"Mark Brader" <m...@vex.net> wrote in message

calvin

Jan 29, 2014, 1:33:42 AM1/29/14
On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 07:42:41 +1000, Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

>> * Game 7, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Booze Bottles (HANDOUT)
>
>> Bottles of booze often have distinctive shapes. We'll give you
>> the number of a silhouette on the handout
>
>> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/7-8/booze.pdf
>
>> and the general type of alcohol, and you tell us the specific brand.
>> Note that the bottles are not necessarily to scale.
>
>> Again, for this medium I'll put them in numerical order and include
>> the 4 decoys in the sequence. Answer those if you like for fun,
>> but for no points.
>
> This was the easiest round in the original game.

I do worry about the people you play trivia with :-)

--
cheers,
calvin