QFTCI16 Final, Round 9: Arts & Literature

Mark Brader

Nov 19, 2016, 11:10:48 PM11/19/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-08-09,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

I wrote one triple in this round.

** Final, Round 9 -- Arts & Literature

* A. Vocabulary of Science-Fiction and Fantasy

A1. Whose novels feature the word "alethiometer"?
A2. Whose novels feature the word "ansible"?
A3. Whose novels gave us the word "cyberspace"?

* B. Zooey

B1. Name J.D. Salinger's 1961 book in which he combined a
previously published short story and novella.

B2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have answered the
previous question. Rira gubhtu Mbbrl sebz Fnyvatre'f fgbel
vf gur avpxanzr sbe n zna anzrq Mnpunel, vg nccneragyl
vafcverq gur anzr bs gur npgerff Mbbrl ["MB-rr"] Qrfpunary.
Anzr gur zhfvpny qhb bs juvpu npgerff Mbbrl vf bar unys
naq Z. Jneq vf gur bgure.

B3. For 11 seasons, Zooey Deschanel's older sister Emily
has played one of the leads in the TV crime series "Bones",
based on a popular series of mysteries by Kathy Reichs.
Give Deschanel's character's name, also the name of the
protagonist in the novels -- the two have the same job
but somewhat different personalities. First or last name
is okay.

* C. Famous Photos

C1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c1.jpg
During which war was this photo taken?

C2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c2.jpg
What is the nationality of the girl in this photo?

C3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c3.jpg
At which competition was this photo taken?

After completing this triple, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
fnvq gur Bylzcvpf sbe gur ynfg dhrfgvba, cyrnfr tb onpx naq nqq
gur cynpr be gur lrne.

* D. Writings by George Orwell

D1. Which 1933 book described Orwell's experiences living
on the margins of society in the years after he resigned
his police commission?

D2. Orwell actually wrote six novels, but had no particular
success with that genre until "Animal Farm", and later
"Nineteen Eighty-Four". Name any one of his four earlier
novels.

D3. In order to demonstrate the effects of oppression even on
the oppressors, Orwell in a 1936 essay recounted his
experience, as an Imperial police officer, of having to
kill a certain animal against his will, simply because it
was expected of him by those he was policing. What kind
of animal?

* E. Locked-Up Characters

E1. The Château d'If turns up in the movie "The French
Connection", but before that, which fictional character
was imprisoned there in a 1845 novel?

E2. Which Charles Dickens character grows up in Marshalsea
Debtor's Prison, in an 1857 novel named after her?
Her surname is enough.

E3. Who is sent to H.M. Prison Holloway while being tried for
murder in Dorothy Sayers's 1930 novel "Strong Poison"?

* F. Latin American Literature

You may answer in English or Spanish.

F1. This perplexing 1963 novel by Julio Cortázar comes with two
suggested reading orders: one linear that stops before the
book is finished, and another that covers the whole thing
but jumps back and forth between chapters. Name it.

F2. A 1989 novel by Laura Esquivel is about a young woman,
her family's designated cook, who literally pours her
emotions into the dishes she prepares. Name it.

F3. Name the acclaimed 1981 novella about a murder that
apparently everyone in a small Colombian town knows is
going to happen, except the intended victim.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
Western Electric distributes UNIX software without warranty or any

Dan Blum

Nov 20, 2016, 12:29:32 AM11/20/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 9 -- Arts & Literature

> * A. Vocabulary of Science-Fiction and Fantasy

> A1. Whose novels feature the word "alethiometer"?

Philip Pullman

> A2. Whose novels feature the word "ansible"?

Ursula Le Guin

> A3. Whose novels gave us the word "cyberspace"?

William Gibson

> * B. Zooey

> B1. Name J.D. Salinger's 1961 book in which he combined a
> previously published short story and novella.

Franny and Zooey

> * C. Famous Photos

> C1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c1.jpg
> During which war was this photo taken?

Spanish Civil War

> C2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c2.jpg
> What is the nationality of the girl in this photo?

Afghani

> C3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c3.jpg
> At which competition was this photo taken?

1968 Summer Olympics

> * D. Writings by George Orwell

> D3. In order to demonstrate the effects of oppression even on
> the oppressors, Orwell in a 1936 essay recounted his
> experience, as an Imperial police officer, of having to
> kill a certain animal against his will, simply because it
> was expected of him by those he was policing. What kind
> of animal?

dog

> * E. Locked-Up Characters

> E1. The Ch?teau d'If turns up in the movie "The French
> Connection", but before that, which fictional character
> was imprisoned there in a 1845 novel?

The Count of Monte Cristo

> E3. Who is sent to H.M. Prison Holloway while being tried for
> murder in Dorothy Sayers's 1930 novel "Strong Poison"?

Harriet Vane

> * F. Latin American Literature

> You may answer in English or Spanish.

> F2. A 1989 novel by Laura Esquivel is about a young woman,
> her family's designated cook, who literally pours her
> emotions into the dishes she prepares. Name it.

Like Water For Chocolate

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Nov 20, 2016, 9:47:30 AM11/20/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:YL-dnWvj26jfv6zFnZ2dnUU7-
evN...@giganews.com:

> ** Final, Round 9 -- Arts & Literature
>
> * A. Vocabulary of Science-Fiction and Fantasy
>
> A2. Whose novels feature the word "ansible"?

David Langford

> A3. Whose novels gave us the word "cyberspace"?

William Gibson

> * B. Zooey
>
> B1. Name J.D. Salinger's 1961 book in which he combined a
> previously published short story and novella.

"Franny and Zooey"

> B2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have answered the
> previous question. Rira gubhtu Mbbrl sebz Fnyvatre'f fgbel
> vf gur avpxanzr sbe n zna anzrq Mnpunel, vg nccneragyl
> vafcverq gur anzr bs gur npgerff Mbbrl ["MB-rr"] Qrfpunary.
> Anzr gur zhfvpny qhb bs juvpu npgerff Mbbrl vf bar unys
> naq Z. Jneq vf gur bgure.

He & She

> B3. For 11 seasons, Zooey Deschanel's older sister Emily
> has played one of the leads in the TV crime series "Bones",
> based on a popular series of mysteries by Kathy Reichs.
> Give Deschanel's character's name, also the name of the
> protagonist in the novels -- the two have the same job
> but somewhat different personalities. First or last name
> is okay.

Temperance

> * C. Famous Photos
>
> C1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c1.jpg
> During which war was this photo taken?

World War II

> C2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c2.jpg
> What is the nationality of the girl in this photo?

Afghan

> C3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c3.jpg
> At which competition was this photo taken?

1968 Summer Olympics

> * D. Writings by George Orwell
>
> D1. Which 1933 book described Orwell's experiences living
> on the margins of society in the years after he resigned
> his police commission?

"Down and Out in Paris and London"

> D2. Orwell actually wrote six novels, but had no particular
> success with that genre until "Animal Farm", and later
> "Nineteen Eighty-Four". Name any one of his four earlier
> novels.

"Keep the Aspidistra Flying"

> D3. In order to demonstrate the effects of oppression even on
> the oppressors, Orwell in a 1936 essay recounted his
> experience, as an Imperial police officer, of having to
> kill a certain animal against his will, simply because it
> was expected of him by those he was policing. What kind
> of animal?

elephant

> * E. Locked-Up Characters
>
> E1. The Château d'If turns up in the movie "The French
> Connection", but before that, which fictional character
> was imprisoned there in a 1845 novel?

the Man in the Iron Mask

> * F. Latin American Literature
>
> You may answer in English or Spanish.
>
> F2. A 1989 novel by Laura Esquivel is about a young woman,
> her family's designated cook, who literally pours her
> emotions into the dishes she prepares. Name it.

"Like Water for Chocolate"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Calvin

Nov 20, 2016, 6:04:33 PM11/20/16
On Sunday, November 20, 2016 at 2:10:48 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> I wrote one triple in this round.
>

> ** Final, Round 9 -- Arts & Literature
>
> * A. Vocabulary of Science-Fiction and Fantasy
>
> A1. Whose novels feature the word "alethiometer"?
> A2. Whose novels feature the word "ansible"?
> A3. Whose novels gave us the word "cyberspace"?
>

> * B. Zooey
>
> B1. Name J.D. Salinger's 1961 book in which he combined a
> previously published short story and novella.

The Catcher in the Rye

> B2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have answered the
> previous question. Rira gubhtu Mbbrl sebz Fnyvatre'f fgbel
> vf gur avpxanzr sbe n zna anzrq Mnpunel, vg nccneragyl
> vafcverq gur anzr bs gur npgerff Mbbrl ["MB-rr"] Qrfpunary.
> Anzr gur zhfvpny qhb bs juvpu npgerff Mbbrl vf bar unys
> naq Z. Jneq vf gur bgure.
>
> B3. For 11 seasons, Zooey Deschanel's older sister Emily
> has played one of the leads in the TV crime series "Bones",
> based on a popular series of mysteries by Kathy Reichs.
> Give Deschanel's character's name, also the name of the
> protagonist in the novels -- the two have the same job
> but somewhat different personalities. First or last name
> is okay.
>

> * C. Famous Photos

I can't access the images for some reason, so my guesses my result in some unintended hilarity.

> C1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c1.jpg
> During which war was this photo taken?

WW1, WW2

> C2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c2.jpg
> What is the nationality of the girl in this photo?

Dutch, Vietnamese

> C3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c3.jpg
> At which competition was this photo taken?

Olympics, World Cup

> After completing this triple, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> fnvq gur Bylzcvpf sbe gur ynfg dhrfgvba, cyrnfr tb onpx naq nqq
> gur cynpr be gur lrne.

1968, 1972

> * D. Writings by George Orwell
>
> D1. Which 1933 book described Orwell's experiences living
> on the margins of society in the years after he resigned
> his police commission?

Down and Out, or something like that

> D2. Orwell actually wrote six novels, but had no particular
> success with that genre until "Animal Farm", and later
> "Nineteen Eighty-Four". Name any one of his four earlier
> novels.

The Road to Wigan Pier

> D3. In order to demonstrate the effects of oppression even on
> the oppressors, Orwell in a 1936 essay recounted his
> experience, as an Imperial police officer, of having to
> kill a certain animal against his will, simply because it
> was expected of him by those he was policing. What kind
> of animal?

Elephant

> * E. Locked-Up Characters
>
> E1. The Château d'If turns up in the movie "The French
> Connection", but before that, which fictional character
> was imprisoned there in a 1845 novel?

The Man in the Iron Mask, D'Artangan

> E2. Which Charles Dickens character grows up in Marshalsea
> Debtor's Prison, in an 1857 novel named after her?
> Her surname is enough.

Amy Dorrit

> E3. Who is sent to H.M. Prison Holloway while being tried for
> murder in Dorothy Sayers's 1930 novel "Strong Poison"?
>

> * F. Latin American Literature
>
> You may answer in English or Spanish.
>
> F1. This perplexing 1963 novel by Julio Cortázar comes with two
> suggested reading orders: one linear that stops before the
> book is finished, and another that covers the whole thing
> but jumps back and forth between chapters. Name it.
>
> F2. A 1989 novel by Laura Esquivel is about a young woman,
> her family's designated cook, who literally pours her
> emotions into the dishes she prepares. Name it.
>
> F3. Name the acclaimed 1981 novella about a murder that
> apparently everyone in a small Colombian town knows is
> going to happen, except the intended victim.

cheers,
calvin

Pete

Nov 20, 2016, 7:11:26 PM11/20/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:YL-dnWvj26jfv6zFnZ2dnUU7-
evN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-08-09,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one triple in this round.
>

> ** Final, Round 9 -- Arts & Literature
>
> * A. Vocabulary of Science-Fiction and Fantasy
>
> A1. Whose novels feature the word "alethiometer"?

Verne

> A2. Whose novels feature the word "ansible"?
> A3. Whose novels gave us the word "cyberspace"?

Azimov

> * B. Zooey
>
> B1. Name J.D. Salinger's 1961 book in which he combined a
> previously published short story and novella.

Franny and Zooey

> B2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have answered the
> previous question. Rira gubhtu Mbbrl sebz Fnyvatre'f fgbel
> vf gur avpxanzr sbe n zna anzrq Mnpunel, vg nccneragyl
> vafcverq gur anzr bs gur npgerff Mbbrl ["MB-rr"] Qrfpunary.
> Anzr gur zhfvpny qhb bs juvpu npgerff Mbbrl vf bar unys
> naq Z. Jneq vf gur bgure.
>
> B3. For 11 seasons, Zooey Deschanel's older sister Emily
> has played one of the leads in the TV crime series "Bones",
> based on a popular series of mysteries by Kathy Reichs.
> Give Deschanel's character's name, also the name of the
> protagonist in the novels -- the two have the same job
> but somewhat different personalities. First or last name
> is okay.
>

> * C. Famous Photos
>
> C1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c1.jpg
> During which war was this photo taken?

Spanish Civil War

> C2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c2.jpg
> What is the nationality of the girl in this photo?

Afghan

> C3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c3.jpg
> At which competition was this photo taken?

1968 Summer Olympics

> After completing this triple, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> fnvq gur Bylzcvpf sbe gur ynfg dhrfgvba, cyrnfr tb onpx naq nqq
> gur cynpr be gur lrne.
>

> * D. Writings by George Orwell
>
> D1. Which 1933 book described Orwell's experiences living
> on the margins of society in the years after he resigned
> his police commission?
>
> D2. Orwell actually wrote six novels, but had no particular
> success with that genre until "Animal Farm", and later
> "Nineteen Eighty-Four". Name any one of his four earlier
> novels.
>
> D3. In order to demonstrate the effects of oppression even on
> the oppressors, Orwell in a 1936 essay recounted his
> experience, as an Imperial police officer, of having to
> kill a certain animal against his will, simply because it
> was expected of him by those he was policing. What kind
> of animal?

Dog; Cow

> * E. Locked-Up Characters
>
> E1. The Château d'If turns up in the movie "The French
> Connection", but before that, which fictional character
> was imprisoned there in a 1845 novel?
>
> E2. Which Charles Dickens character grows up in Marshalsea
> Debtor's Prison, in an 1857 novel named after her?
> Her surname is enough.
>
> E3. Who is sent to H.M. Prison Holloway while being tried for
> murder in Dorothy Sayers's 1930 novel "Strong Poison"?
>

> * F. Latin American Literature
>
> You may answer in English or Spanish.
>
> F1. This perplexing 1963 novel by Julio Cortázar comes with two
> suggested reading orders: one linear that stops before the
> book is finished, and another that covers the whole thing
> but jumps back and forth between chapters. Name it.
>
> F2. A 1989 novel by Laura Esquivel is about a young woman,
> her family's designated cook, who literally pours her
> emotions into the dishes she prepares. Name it.
>
> F3. Name the acclaimed 1981 novella about a murder that
> apparently everyone in a small Colombian town knows is
> going to happen, except the intended victim.

Pete Gayde

Dan Tilque

Nov 20, 2016, 8:39:51 PM11/20/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 9 -- Arts & Literature
>
> * A. Vocabulary of Science-Fiction and Fantasy
>
> A1. Whose novels feature the word "alethiometer"?

Sawyer ??

> A2. Whose novels feature the word "ansible"?

Ursula K LeGuin

(also Orson Scott Card, since he revived the word for his Ender series.)

> A3. Whose novels gave us the word "cyberspace"?

William Gibson

> * B. Zooey
>
> B1. Name J.D. Salinger's 1961 book in which he combined a
> previously published short story and novella.

Zooey and Franny

> B2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have answered the
> previous question. Rira gubhtu Mbbrl sebz Fnyvatre'f fgbel
> vf gur avpxanzr sbe n zna anzrq Mnpunel, vg nccneragyl
> vafcverq gur anzr bs gur npgerff Mbbrl ["MB-rr"] Qrfpunary.
> Anzr gur zhfvpny qhb bs juvpu npgerff Mbbrl vf bar unys
> naq Z. Jneq vf gur bgure.
>
> B3. For 11 seasons, Zooey Deschanel's older sister Emily
> has played one of the leads in the TV crime series "Bones",
> based on a popular series of mysteries by Kathy Reichs.
> Give Deschanel's character's name, also the name of the
> protagonist in the novels -- the two have the same job
> but somewhat different personalities. First or last name
> is okay.
>

> * C. Famous Photos
>
> C1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c1.jpg
> During which war was this photo taken?

Spanish Civil War

> C2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c2.jpg
> What is the nationality of the girl in this photo?

Afghan

> C3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c3.jpg
> At which competition was this photo taken?

Olympics in Mexico City

> After completing this triple, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> fnvq gur Bylzcvpf sbe gur ynfg dhrfgvba, cyrnfr tb onpx naq nqq
> gur cynpr be gur lrne.
>

> * D. Writings by George Orwell
>
> D1. Which 1933 book described Orwell's experiences living
> on the margins of society in the years after he resigned
> his police commission?
>
> D2. Orwell actually wrote six novels, but had no particular
> success with that genre until "Animal Farm", and later
> "Nineteen Eighty-Four". Name any one of his four earlier
> novels.
>
> D3. In order to demonstrate the effects of oppression even on
> the oppressors, Orwell in a 1936 essay recounted his
> experience, as an Imperial police officer, of having to
> kill a certain animal against his will, simply because it
> was expected of him by those he was policing. What kind
> of animal?
>

> * E. Locked-Up Characters
>
> E1. The Château d'If turns up in the movie "The French
> Connection", but before that, which fictional character
> was imprisoned there in a 1845 novel?

The Count of Monte Cristo

> E2. Which Charles Dickens character grows up in Marshalsea
> Debtor's Prison, in an 1857 novel named after her?
> Her surname is enough.
>
> E3. Who is sent to H.M. Prison Holloway while being tried for
> murder in Dorothy Sayers's 1930 novel "Strong Poison"?

Peter Wimsey

(just a wag; haven't read the book)

> * F. Latin American Literature
>
> You may answer in English or Spanish.
>
> F1. This perplexing 1963 novel by Julio Cortázar comes with two
> suggested reading orders: one linear that stops before the
> book is finished, and another that covers the whole thing
> but jumps back and forth between chapters. Name it.
>
> F2. A 1989 novel by Laura Esquivel is about a young woman,
> her family's designated cook, who literally pours her
> emotions into the dishes she prepares. Name it.
>
> F3. Name the acclaimed 1981 novella about a murder that
> apparently everyone in a small Colombian town knows is
> going to happen, except the intended victim.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Nov 20, 2016, 9:20:18 PM11/20/16
"Calvin":
> I can't access the images for some reason, so my guesses my result in
> some unintended hilarity.

Until you've looked at other people's answers, you're welcome to try again.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "We are full of digital chain letters and
m...@vex.net | warnings about marmalade." --Matt Ridley

Calvin

Nov 20, 2016, 11:13:31 PM11/20/16
On Monday, November 21, 2016 at 12:20:18 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> "Calvin":
> > I can't access the images for some reason, so my guesses my result in
> > some unintended hilarity.
>
> Until you've looked at other people's answers, you're welcome to try again.

Thanks.

> C1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c1.jpg
> During which war was this photo taken?

Spanish Civil War

> C2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c2.jpg
> What is the nationality of the girl in this photo?

Afghanistan

> C3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c3.jpg
> At which competition was this photo taken?

1968 "Black Power" Olympics
Australia's Peter Norman is the third person on the dais

re: my earlier guesses

C1 and C3 were stabs in the dark

> C2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c2.jpg
> What is the nationality of the girl in this photo?

Dutch, Vietnamese

I anticipated one of these:

http://didyouknowfacts.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/annefrankpicepa.jpg

http://i2.cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/150512085932-31-seventies-timeline-0512-restricted-super-169.jpg

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Nov 21, 2016, 4:00:21 AM11/21/16
"Calvin":
> C1 and C3 were stabs in the dark

And they were pretty good stabs!

> > C2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c2.jpg
> > What is the nationality of the girl in this photo?
>
> Dutch, Vietnamese
>
> I anticipated one of these...

Also good guesses.

(Viewer discretion advised on this one!)
> http://i2.cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/150512085932-31-seventies-timeline-0512-restricted-super-169.jpg

If I'd used that one, instead of her nationality I would have liked to
ask *what city* she now lives in a suburb of.
--
Mark Brader | Moreover, as experts, we... deserve certain courtesies,
Toronto | like high rates of pay, and blind trust in our competence

Gareth Owen

Nov 21, 2016, 1:40:35 PM11/21/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> A1. Whose novels feature the word "alethiometer"?

Asimov, EE Doc Smith

> A2. Whose novels feature the word "ansible"?

le Guin

> A3. Whose novels gave us the word "cyberspace"?

William Gibson

> * B. Zooey
>
> B1. Name J.D. Salinger's 1961 book in which he combined a
> previously published short story and novella.

Franny & Zooey

> B2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have answered the
> previous question. Rira gubhtu Mbbrl sebz Fnyvatre'f fgbel
> vf gur avpxanzr sbe n zna anzrq Mnpunel, vg nccneragyl
> vafcverq gur anzr bs gur npgerff Mbbrl ["MB-rr"] Qrfpunary.
> Anzr gur zhfvpny qhb bs juvpu npgerff Mbbrl vf bar unys
> naq Z. Jneq vf gur bgure.
>
> B3. For 11 seasons, Zooey Deschanel's older sister Emily
> has played one of the leads in the TV crime series "Bones",
> based on a popular series of mysteries by Kathy Reichs.
> Give Deschanel's character's name, also the name of the
> protagonist in the novels -- the two have the same job
> but somewhat different personalities. First or last name
> is okay.

Nope

> * C. Famous Photos
>
> C1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c1.jpg
> During which war was this photo taken?

Spanish Civil

> C2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c2.jpg
> What is the nationality of the girl in this photo?

Vietnam, Korean

> C3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c3.jpg
> At which competition was this photo taken?

1968 Summer Olympic Games

> After completing this triple, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> fnvq gur Bylzcvpf sbe gur ynfg dhrfgvba, cyrnfr tb onpx naq nqq
> gur cynpr be gur lrne.
>

> * D. Writings by George Orwell
>
> D1. Which 1933 book described Orwell's experiences living
> on the margins of society in the years after he resigned
> his police commission?

Down and Out in Paris and London

> D2. Orwell actually wrote six novels, but had no particular
> success with that genre until "Animal Farm", and later
> "Nineteen Eighty-Four". Name any one of his four earlier
> novels.

Keep The Aspidistra Flying

> D3. In order to demonstrate the effects of oppression even on
> the oppressors, Orwell in a 1936 essay recounted his
> experience, as an Imperial police officer, of having to
> kill a certain animal against his will, simply because it
> was expected of him by those he was policing. What kind
> of animal?

Mongooes

> * E. Locked-Up Characters
>
> E1. The Château d'If turns up in the movie "The French
> Connection", but before that, which fictional character
> was imprisoned there in a 1845 novel?

The Count of Monte Cristo, The Scarley Pimpernel

> E2. Which Charles Dickens character grows up in Marshalsea
> Debtor's Prison, in an 1857 novel named after her?
> Her surname is enough.

Lorna Doone

> E3. Who is sent to H.M. Prison Holloway while being tried for
> murder in Dorothy Sayers's 1930 novel "Strong Poison"?

Lord Peter Wimsey

> * F. Latin American Literature
>
> You may answer in English or Spanish.
>
> F1. This perplexing 1963 novel by Julio Cortázar comes with two
> suggested reading orders: one linear that stops before the
> book is finished, and another that covers the whole thing
> but jumps back and forth between chapters. Name it.

Nope.

> F2. A 1989 novel by Laura Esquivel is about a young woman,
> her family's designated cook, who literally pours her
> emotions into the dishes she prepares. Name it.

Chocolat (yeah, I know it ain't - but its bloody something like that)

> F3. Name the acclaimed 1981 novella about a murder that
> apparently everyone in a small Colombian town knows is
> going to happen, except the intended victim.

Love In The Time of Cholera, 100 Years of Solitude

Björn Lundin

Nov 21, 2016, 3:31:38 PM11/21/16
On 2016-11-20 05:10, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-08-09,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote one triple in this round.
>

> ** Final, Round 9 -- Arts & Literature
>

> * C. Famous Photos
>
> C1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c1.jpg
> During which war was this photo taken?
World War I

> C2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c2.jpg
> What is the nationality of the girl in this photo?

Indian (from India)

> C3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c3.jpg
> At which competition was this photo taken?

Olympic Games 1968 in Mexico City

> After completing this triple, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> fnvq gur Bylzcvpf sbe gur ynfg dhrfgvba, cyrnfr tb onpx naq nqq
> gur cynpr be gur lrne.
>

> * E. Locked-Up Characters
>
> E1. The Château d'If turns up in the movie "The French
> Connection", but before that, which fictional character
> was imprisoned there in a 1845 novel?

Count of Monte Christo

Björn

Marc Dashevsky

Nov 22, 2016, 2:27:34 PM11/22/16
In article <YL-dnWvj26jfv6zF...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> ** Final, Round 9 -- Arts & Literature
>
> * A. Vocabulary of Science-Fiction and Fantasy
>
> A1. Whose novels feature the word "alethiometer"?
> A2. Whose novels feature the word "ansible"?
> A3. Whose novels gave us the word "cyberspace"?
>

> * B. Zooey
>
> B1. Name J.D. Salinger's 1961 book in which he combined a
> previously published short story and novella.
Franny and Zooey

> B2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have answered the
> previous question. Rira gubhtu Mbbrl sebz Fnyvatre'f fgbel
> vf gur avpxanzr sbe n zna anzrq Mnpunel, vg nccneragyl
> vafcverq gur anzr bs gur npgerff Mbbrl ["MB-rr"] Qrfpunary.
> Anzr gur zhfvpny qhb bs juvpu npgerff Mbbrl vf bar unys
> naq Z. Jneq vf gur bgure.
>
> B3. For 11 seasons, Zooey Deschanel's older sister Emily
> has played one of the leads in the TV crime series "Bones",
> based on a popular series of mysteries by Kathy Reichs.
> Give Deschanel's character's name, also the name of the
> protagonist in the novels -- the two have the same job
> but somewhat different personalities. First or last name
> is okay.
>

> * C. Famous Photos
>
> C1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c1.jpg
> During which war was this photo taken?
Spanish Civil War

> C2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c2.jpg
> What is the nationality of the girl in this photo?
Pakistani

> C3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c3.jpg
> At which competition was this photo taken?
1968 Mexico City Olympics

> After completing this triple, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> fnvq gur Bylzcvpf sbe gur ynfg dhrfgvba, cyrnfr tb onpx naq nqq
> gur cynpr be gur lrne.
>

> * D. Writings by George Orwell
>
> D1. Which 1933 book described Orwell's experiences living
> on the margins of society in the years after he resigned
> his police commission?
>
> D2. Orwell actually wrote six novels, but had no particular
> success with that genre until "Animal Farm", and later
> "Nineteen Eighty-Four". Name any one of his four earlier
> novels.
>
> D3. In order to demonstrate the effects of oppression even on
> the oppressors, Orwell in a 1936 essay recounted his
> experience, as an Imperial police officer, of having to
> kill a certain animal against his will, simply because it
> was expected of him by those he was policing. What kind
> of animal?
>

> * E. Locked-Up Characters
>
> E1. The Château d'If turns up in the movie "The French
> Connection", but before that, which fictional character
> was imprisoned there in a 1845 novel?
Count of Monte Christo

> E2. Which Charles Dickens character grows up in Marshalsea
> Debtor's Prison, in an 1857 novel named after her?
> Her surname is enough.
>
> E3. Who is sent to H.M. Prison Holloway while being tried for
> murder in Dorothy Sayers's 1930 novel "Strong Poison"?
>

> * F. Latin American Literature
>
> You may answer in English or Spanish.
>
> F1. This perplexing 1963 novel by Julio Cortázar comes with two
> suggested reading orders: one linear that stops before the
> book is finished, and another that covers the whole thing
> but jumps back and forth between chapters. Name it.
>
> F2. A 1989 novel by Laura Esquivel is about a young woman,
> her family's designated cook, who literally pours her
> emotions into the dishes she prepares. Name it.
Like Water For Chocolate

> F3. Name the acclaimed 1981 novella about a murder that
> apparently everyone in a small Colombian town knows is
> going to happen, except the intended victim.

Mark Brader

Nov 22, 2016, 9:48:28 PM11/22/16
Mark Brader:
> If I'd used that one, instead of her nationality I would have liked to
> ask *what city* she now lives in a suburb of.

Toronto.
--
Mark Brader | "I do have an idea ... based on the quite obvious fact
Toronto | that the number two is ridiculous and can't exist."

Mark Brader

Nov 22, 2016, 10:48:09 PM11/22/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-08-09,
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I wrote one triple in this round.

That was A.

> ** Final, Round 9 -- Arts & Literature

> * A. Vocabulary of Science-Fiction and Fantasy

> A1. Whose novels feature the word "alethiometer"?

Philip Pullman. 4 for Dan Blum.

> A2. Whose novels feature the word "ansible"?

Ursula K. Le Guin. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Gareth.

> A3. Whose novels gave us the word "cyberspace"?

William Gibson. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Gareth.

> * B. Zooey

> B1. Name J.D. Salinger's 1961 book in which he combined a
> previously published short story and novella.

"Franny and Zooey" ["ZOO-ee"]. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete,
Gareth, and Marc. 3 for Dan Tilque.

> B2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have answered the
> previous question. Even though Zooey from Salinger's story
> is the nickname for a man named Zachary, it apparently
> inspired the name of the actress Zooey ["ZO-ee"] Deschanel.
> Name the musical duo of which actress Zooey is one half
> and M. Ward is the other.

She and Him. 3 for Joshua.

> B3. For 11 seasons, Zooey Deschanel's older sister Emily
> has played one of the leads in the TV crime series "Bones",
> based on a popular series of mysteries by Kathy Reichs.
> Give Deschanel's character's name, also the name of the
> protagonist in the novels -- the two have the same job
> but somewhat different personalities. First or last name
> is okay.

Temperance "Tempe" Brennan. 4 for Joshua.

> * C. Famous Photos

> C1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c1.jpg
> During which war was this photo taken?

Spanish Civil War. 4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, Pete, Dan Tilque,
Gareth, and Marc.

Photographer Robert Capa was later accused of staging the shot.
Personally, I don't believe it.

> C2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c2.jpg
> What is the nationality of the girl in this photo?

Afghan. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Calvin, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

The girl's name is Sharbat Gula, and she was unaware for years that
the photo, by Steve McCurry, had become a famous magazine cover (on
the June 1985 "National Geographic"). As was common for high-grade
color photos in those days, it was shot on Kodachrome 64 slide film.
And it was so admired that when Kodak ceased production of Kodachrome
film, the last-ever roll was given to McCurry to use.

> C3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/photo/c3.jpg
> At which competition was this photo taken?

1968 Olympics at Mexico City (specifically it's the medal ceremony
for the 200 m race, but this was not required). 4 for everyone --
Dan Blum, Joshua, Calvin, Pete, Dan Tilque, Gareth, Björn, and Marc.

> * D. Writings by George Orwell

> D1. Which 1933 book described Orwell's experiences living
> on the margins of society in the years after he resigned
> his police commission?

"Down and Out in Paris and London". I did not think "Down and Out,
or something like that" was sufficient. 4 for Joshua and Gareth.

> D2. Orwell actually wrote six novels, but had no particular
> success with that genre until "Animal Farm", and later
> "Nineteen Eighty-Four". Name any one of his four earlier
> novels.

"Burmese Days", "Coming Up for Air", "A Clergyman's Daughter",
"Keep the Aspidistra Flying". 4 for Joshua and Gareth.

> D3. In order to demonstrate the effects of oppression even on
> the oppressors, Orwell in a 1936 essay recounted his
> experience, as an Imperial police officer, of having to
> kill a certain animal against his will, simply because it
> was expected of him by those he was policing. What kind
> of animal?

Elephant. ("Shooting an Elephant".) 4 for Joshua and Calvin.

> * E. Locked-Up Characters

> E1. The Château d'If turns up in the movie "The French
> Connection", but before that, which fictional character
> was imprisoned there in a 1845 novel?

Count Edmond Dantès of Monte Cristo. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
Björn, and Marc. 3 for Gareth.

> E2. Which Charles Dickens character grows up in Marshalsea
> Debtor's Prison, in an 1857 novel named after her?
> Her surname is enough.

Amy Dorrit. (From "Little Dorrit".) 4 for Calvin.

> E3. Who is sent to H.M. Prison Holloway while being tried for
> murder in Dorothy Sayers's 1930 novel "Strong Poison"?

Harriet Vane. (Eventually Lord Peter Wimsey's wife, several novels
later.) 4 for Dan Blum.

> * F. Latin American Literature

> You may answer in English or Spanish.

> F1. This perplexing 1963 novel by Julio Cortázar comes with two
> suggested reading orders: one linear that stops before the
> book is finished, and another that covers the whole thing
> but jumps back and forth between chapters. Name it.

"Hopscotch" ("Rayuela").

> F2. A 1989 novel by Laura Esquivel is about a young woman,
> her family's designated cook, who literally pours her
> emotions into the dishes she prepares. Name it.

"Like Water for Chocolate" ("Como agua para chocolate"). 4 for
Dan Blum, Joshua, and Marc. And bloody something like 0 for Gareth.

> F3. Name the acclaimed 1981 novella about a murder that
> apparently everyone in a small Colombian town knows is
> going to happen, except the intended victim.

"Chronicle of a Death Foretold" ("Cronica de una muerte anunciada").

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Geo Mis Spo His Sci Lit FIVE
Joshua Kreitzer 44 48 48 12 40 27 39 219
Gareth Owen 44 -- 46 36 24 44 31 201
Dan Blum 36 30 36 28 24 56 40 198
Dan Tilque 16 56 20 28 36 40 27 187
Marc Dashevsky 48 24 32 16 16 55 20 179
Pete Gayde 43 34 16 23 23 28 16 151
Peter Smyth -- 30 12 24 20 32 -- 118
Erland Sommarskog -- 40 -- 8 19 16 -- 83
Bruce Bowler -- -- -- -- -- 68 -- 68
"Calvin" -- -- -- -- 27 13 20 60
Björn Lundin 4 20 4 4 4 16 8 52
Jason Kreitzer 28 -- 12 -- -- -- -- 40

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "VAX 3 in 1 carpet care -- now 129.95 pounds"
m...@vex.net