Calvin's Quiz #492

Calvin

Jun 26, 2017, 7:12:24 PM6/26/17
1 Which US state is home to the Vikings (NFL), Twins (MLB), and Timberwolves (NBA) sports teams?
2 Irene Heron, Montague Dartie and Prosper Profond are characters from which John Galsworthy trilogy?
3 Aboard which ship did Jason search for the golden fleece?
4 Robert Mitchum and Gregory Peck co-starred in which 1962 psychological thriller?
5 Tom Cruise's breakout role came as Joel Goodson in which 1983 Paul Brickman film?
6 Which foodstuff is extracted from the root of the cassava plant which is native to Brazil?
7 Which letter of the alphabet transforms an Italian luxury fashion house into a Russian newspaper?
8 Which royal is currently the Duke of York?
9 Which hit song of 1968 includes the following line: "I'll be sittin' when the evenin' comes"?
10 Which 8 letter word is both a Beatles' album and a Cluedo murder weapon?

cheers,
calvin

swp

Jun 26, 2017, 9:33:04 PM6/26/17
On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 7:12:24 PM UTC-4, Calvin wrote:
> 1 Which US state is home to the Vikings (NFL), Twins (MLB), and Timberwolves (NBA) sports teams?

minnesota

> 2 Irene Heron, Montague Dartie and Prosper Profond are characters from which John Galsworthy trilogy?

the forsyte saga

> 3 Aboard which ship did Jason search for the golden fleece?

argo

> 4 Robert Mitchum and Gregory Peck co-starred in which 1962 psychological thriller?

cape fear

> 5 Tom Cruise's breakout role came as Joel Goodson in which 1983 Paul Brickman film?

risky business

> 6 Which foodstuff is extracted from the root of the cassava plant which is native to Brazil?

garri

> 7 Which letter of the alphabet transforms an Italian luxury fashion house into a Russian newspaper?

> 8 Which royal is currently the Duke of York?

prince andrew

> 9 Which hit song of 1968 includes the following line: "I'll be sittin' when the evenin' comes"?

(sittin on) the dock of the bay

> 10 Which 8 letter word is both a Beatles' album and a Cluedo murder weapon?

revolver

swp who was inspired to enter by Calvin's judicious use of the oxford comma in the previous contest

Marc Dashevsky

Jun 27, 2017, 1:58:56 AM6/27/17
In article <1b505cef-676b-4a60...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 Which US state is home to the Vikings (NFL), Twins (MLB), and Timberwolves (NBA) sports teams?
Minnesota

> 2 Irene Heron, Montague Dartie and Prosper Profond are characters from which John Galsworthy trilogy?
> 3 Aboard which ship did Jason search for the golden fleece?
Argo

> 4 Robert Mitchum and Gregory Peck co-starred in which 1962 psychological thriller?
Cape Fear

> 5 Tom Cruise's breakout role came as Joel Goodson in which 1983 Paul Brickman film?
Risky Business

> 6 Which foodstuff is extracted from the root of the cassava plant which is native to Brazil?
tapioca

> 7 Which letter of the alphabet transforms an Italian luxury fashion house into a Russian newspaper?

> 8 Which royal is currently the Duke of York?
> 9 Which hit song of 1968 includes the following line: "I'll be sittin' when the evenin' comes"?
(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay

> 10 Which 8 letter word is both a Beatles' album and a Cluedo murder weapon?
revolver

> cheers,
> calvin

Mark Brader

Jun 27, 2017, 2:31:26 AM6/27/17
"Calvin":
> 1 Which US state is home to the Vikings (NFL), Twins (MLB), and
> Timberwolves (NBA) sports teams?

Minnesota.

> 2 Irene Heron, Montague Dartie and Prosper Profond are characters
> from which John Galsworthy trilogy?
> 3 Aboard which ship did Jason search for the golden fleece?

The Argo -- hence the football team.

> 4 Robert Mitchum and Gregory Peck co-starred in which 1962
> psychological thriller?

"Cape Fear".

> 5 Tom Cruise's breakout role came as Joel Goodson in which 1983
> Paul Brickman film?

"Risky Business".

> 6 Which foodstuff is extracted from the root of the cassava plant
> which is native to Brazil?

Tapioca?

> 7 Which letter of the alphabet transforms an Italian luxury
> fashion house into a Russian newspaper?

V.

> 8 Which royal is currently the Duke of York?

Prince Edward?

> 9 Which hit song of 1968 includes the following line: "I'll be
> sittin' when the evenin' comes"?

"Dock of the Bay".

> 10 Which 8 letter word is both a Beatles' album and a Cluedo
> murder weapon?

"Revolver". Or to some, "Revolverdo". :-)
--
Mark Brader | Our censorship system has one inexplicable anomaly.
Toronto | One of the rating codes is M for "mature", but there

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 27, 2017, 2:59:31 AM6/27/17
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 Which US state is home to the Vikings (NFL), Twins (MLB), and
> Timberwolves (NBA) sports teams?

Minnesota? (But in such case, why did you leave out the Wild?)

> 7 Which letter of the alphabet transforms an Italian luxury fashion
> house into a Russian newspaper?

B (alright, V for the Cyrillic-impaired)

> 10 Which 8 letter word is both a Beatles' album and a Cluedo murder
> weapon?

Revolver

Dan Tilque

Jun 27, 2017, 4:07:19 AM6/27/17
Calvin wrote:
> 1 Which US state is home to the Vikings (NFL), Twins (MLB), and Timberwolves (NBA) sports teams?

Minnesota

> 2 Irene Heron, Montague Dartie and Prosper Profond are characters from which John Galsworthy trilogy?
> 3 Aboard which ship did Jason search for the golden fleece?

Argo

> 4 Robert Mitchum and Gregory Peck co-starred in which 1962 psychological thriller?
> 5 Tom Cruise's breakout role came as Joel Goodson in which 1983 Paul Brickman film?
> 6 Which foodstuff is extracted from the root of the cassava plant which is native to Brazil?

tapioca

> 7 Which letter of the alphabet transforms an Italian luxury fashion house into a Russian newspaper?

> 8 Which royal is currently the Duke of York?

Prince Andrew

> 9 Which hit song of 1968 includes the following line: "I'll be sittin' when the evenin' comes"?

Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay by Otis Redding

> 10 Which 8 letter word is both a Beatles' album and a Cluedo murder weapon?

revolver

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Blum

Jun 27, 2017, 8:29:31 AM6/27/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1 Which US state is home to the Vikings (NFL), Twins (MLB), and Timberwolves (NBA) sports teams?

Minnesota

> 3 Aboard which ship did Jason search for the golden fleece?

Argos

> 4 Robert Mitchum and Gregory Peck co-starred in which 1962 psychological thriller?

Cape Fear

> 5 Tom Cruise's breakout role came as Joel Goodson in which 1983 Paul Brickman film?

Risky Business

> 6 Which foodstuff is extracted from the root of the cassava plant which is native to Brazil?

taro

> 7 Which letter of the alphabet transforms an Italian luxury fashion house into a Russian newspaper?

> 8 Which royal is currently the Duke of York?

Prince Andrew

> 10 Which 8 letter word is both a Beatles' album and a Cluedo murder weapon?

revolver

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Bruce

Jun 27, 2017, 10:18:35 AM6/27/17
On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 16:12:23 -0700, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which US state is home to the Vikings (NFL), Twins (MLB), and
> Timberwolves (NBA) sports teams?

Minnesota

> 2 Irene Heron, Montague Dartie and Prosper Profond are characters
> from which John Galsworthy trilogy?

Forsyth Saga

> 3 Aboard which ship did Jason search for the golden fleece?

Argo

> 4 Robert Mitchum and Gregory Peck co-starred in which 1962
> psychological thriller?

Cape Fear

> 5 Tom Cruise's breakout role came as Joel Goodson in which 1983 Paul
> Brickman film?

Risky Business

> 6 Which foodstuff is extracted from the root of the cassava plant
> which is native to Brazil?

Tapioca

> 7 Which letter of the alphabet transforms an Italian luxury fashion
> house into a Russian newspaper?

V (prada -> pravda)

> 8 Which royal is currently the Duke of York?

Andrew

> 9 Which hit song of 1968 includes the following line: "I'll be
> sittin' when the evenin' comes"?

(Sittin On) The Dock Of The Bay

> 10 Which 8 letter word is both a Beatles' album
> and a Cluedo murder weapon?

Revolver

Marc Dashevsky

Jun 27, 2017, 12:00:59 PM6/27/17
In article <QpadnUXHBbglZszE...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> > 10 Which 8 letter word is both a Beatles' album and a Cluedo
> > murder weapon?
>
> "Revolver". Or to some, "Revolverdo". :-)

!!!

Pete Gayde

Jun 27, 2017, 5:48:16 PM6/27/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Which US state is home to the Vikings (NFL), Twins (MLB), and
> Timberwolves (NBA) sports teams?

Minnesota

> 2 Irene Heron, Montague Dartie
> and Prosper Profond are characters from which John Galsworthy trilogy?
> 3 Aboard which ship did Jason search for the golden fleece?

Argo

> 4 Robert Mitchum and Gregory Peck co-starred in which 1962
> psychological thriller?

Cape Fear

> 5 Tom Cruise's breakout role came as Joel
> Goodson in which 1983 Paul Brickman film?

Risky Business

> 6 Which foodstuff is
> extracted from the root of the cassava plant which is native to
> Brazil?
> 7 Which letter of the alphabet transforms an Italian
> luxury fashion house into a Russian newspaper?

> 8 Which royal is currently the Duke of York?

Prince Harry

> 9 Which hit song of 1968 includes the
> following line: "I'll be sittin' when the evenin' comes"?

Sitting on the Dock of the Bay

> 10 Which
> 8 letter word is both a Beatles' album and a Cluedo murder weapon?

Revolver

> cheers,
> calvin
>
> ---
> http://www.avg.com

Pete Gayde

Chris F.A. Johnson

Jun 28, 2017, 1:08:05 AM6/28/17
On 2017-06-26, Calvin wrote:
> 1 Which US state is home to the Vikings (NFL), Twins (MLB), and Timberwolves (NBA) sports teams?

Minnesota

> 2 Irene Heron, Montague Dartie and Prosper Profond are characters from which John Galsworthy trilogy?

"The Forsyte Saga"

> 3 Aboard which ship did Jason search for the golden fleece?

Argo

> 4 Robert Mitchum and Gregory Peck co-starred in which 1962 psychological thriller?

Cape Dear

> 5 Tom Cruise's breakout role came as Joel Goodson in which 1983 Paul Brickman film?

"Top Gun"

> 6 Which foodstuff is extracted from the root of the cassava plant which is native to Brazil?

Tapioca

> 7 Which letter of the alphabet transforms an Italian luxury fashion house into a Russian newspaper?

> 8 Which royal is currently the Duke of York?

Prince Andrew

> 9 Which hit song of 1968 includes the following line: "I'll be sittin' when the evenin' comes"?

"Sitting on the Dock of the Bay"

> 10 Which 8 letter word is both a Beatles' album and a Cluedo murder weapon?

Revolver

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Chris F.A. Johnson

Jun 28, 2017, 3:08:04 AM6/28/17
On 2017-06-28, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
> On 2017-06-26, Calvin wrote:
Robert Mitchum and Gregory Peck co-starred in which 1962 psychological thriller?

> Cape Dear

Typo. Should be: "Cape Fear"

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Mark Brader

Jun 28, 2017, 3:39:25 AM6/28/17
Chris Johnson:
> > Cape Dear
>
> Typo. Should be: "Cape Fear"

Hmm. On a QWERTY keyboard, "Rear", "Tear", and "Gear" would also be
possible typos for "Fear" formed by hitting an adjacent key instead
of F. Only "Cear" and "Vear" would be non-words.

I wonder what's the greatest number of commonly used words that can be
formed by starting with a particular word and then replacing the same
letter with all the different letters on adjacent keys. Here we have
a set of 5, counting the original word as well; the maximum would be 7.

I did some searching using the /usr/share/dict/words file on this
machine, just changing the first letter of each word, but there are
too many uncommon words in that list. The search found several sets
of the maximum 7 words, but all of them involved uncommon words.
Here they are. (The "original" word in each set is shown first.)

gatter - batter fatter hatter tatter vatter yatter

fain - cain dain gain rain tain vain
fare - care dare gare rare tare vare
fent - cent dent gent rent tent vent
gade - bade fade hade tade vade yade
gare - bare fare hare tare vare yare
gell - bell fell hell tell vell yell
gest - best fest hest test vest yest
gill - bill fill hill till vill yill

fag - cag dag gag rag tag vag
fan - can dan gan ran tan van
fee - cee dee gee ree tee vee
fog - cog dog gog rog tog vog
fum - cum dum gum rum tum vum
gan - ban fan han tan van yan
gat - bat fat hat tat vat yat

Vatter, tain, vare, gan, bleagh! Would anyone like to look for such
sets using common words only, and varying any one of the letters?
The "original" letter must of course be one of S, D, F, H, or J.
--
Mark Brader "'... Fifty science-fiction magazines don't give
Toronto you half the naked women that a good issue of

Gareth Owen

Jun 28, 2017, 2:11:04 PM6/28/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 Which US state is home to the Vikings (NFL), Twins (MLB), and
> Timberwolves (NBA) sports teams?

Minnesota

> 2 Irene Heron, Montague Dartie and Prosper Profond are characters from
> which John Galsworthy trilogy?

The French Lieutenants Woman??

> 3 Aboard which ship did Jason search for the golden fleece?

Argo

> 4 Robert Mitchum and Gregory Peck co-starred in which 1962
> psychological thriller?

Night Of The Hunter

> 5 Tom Cruise's breakout role came as Joel Goodson in which 1983 Paul
> Brickman film?

Risky Business

> 6 Which foodstuff is extracted from the root of the cassava plant
> which is native to Brazil?

Cassava extract

> 7 Which letter of the alphabet transforms an Italian luxury fashion
> house into a Russian newspaper?

> 8 Which royal is currently the Duke of York?

Prince Andrew

> 9 Which hit song of 1968 includes the following line: "I'll be sittin'
> when the evenin' comes"?

Dock of the Bay

> 10 Which 8 letter word is both a Beatles' album and a Cluedo murder weapon?

Revolver

Calvin

Jul 3, 2017, 1:06:04 AM7/3/17
On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 5:08:04 PM UTC+10, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
> On 2017-06-28, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
> > On 2017-06-26, Calvin wrote:
> Robert Mitchum and Gregory Peck co-starred in which 1962 psychological thriller?
> >
> > Cape Dear
>
> Typo. Should be: "Cape Fear"

Dopy that :-)

calvin

Calvin

Jul 3, 2017, 1:10:10 AM7/3/17
On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 9:12:24 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which US state is home to the Vikings (NFL), Twins (MLB), and Timberwolves (NBA) sports teams?

Minnesota

> 2 Irene Heron, Montague Dartie and Prosper Profond are characters from which John Galsworthy trilogy?

The Forsyte saga

> 3 Aboard which ship did Jason search for the golden fleece?

Argo

> 4 Robert Mitchum and Gregory Peck co-starred in which 1962 psychological thriller?

Cape Fear

> 5 Tom Cruise's breakout role came as Joel Goodson in which 1983 Paul Brickman film?

Risky Business

> 6 Which foodstuff is extracted from the root of the cassava plant which is native to Brazil?

Tapioca / Garri

> 7 Which letter of the alphabet transforms an Italian luxury fashion house into a Russian newspaper?

V [Prada -> Pravda]

> 8 Which royal is currently the Duke of York?

Prince Andrew

> 9 Which hit song of 1968 includes the following line: "I'll be sittin' when the evenin' comes"?

[Sittin' on the] Dock of the Bay

> 10 Which 8 letter word is both a Beatles' album and a Cluedo murder weapon?

Revolver

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 492
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 10 75 Bruce Bowler
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 10 75 Stephen Perry
1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 9 68 Chris Johnson
1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 8 66 Mark Brader