QFTCIUA Game 1, Rounds 9-10: states, nickname challenge

Mark Brader

Sep 25, 2014, 4:28:45 AM9/25/14
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-09-15,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe, and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2014-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 1, Round 9 - Geography - The State I'm In

We'll name some states, provinces, or other political subdivisions.
You name the country. All spellings are as used in the CIA World
Factbook.

1. Anhui, Gansu, Hebei, Hubei.
2. Batman, Hakkari, Samsun, Van.
3. Cordoba, Formosa, Rio Negro, Santa Fe.
4. Distrito Federal, Espirito Santo, Parana, Rio Grande do Norte.
5. Borno, Edo, Gombe, Jigawa.
6. Balochistan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (formerly North-West Frontier
Province), Punjab, Sindh.
7. Assam, Kerala, Nagaland, Sikkim.
8. Basel-Landschaft, Basel-Stadt, Schaffhausen, Zug.
9. Andalucia, Extremadura, Illes Baleares (Balearic Islands),
Murcia.
10. Chiapas, Colima, Hidalgo, Sonora.

* Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Nicknames and Pseudonyms

A. History - American Western Outlaws

A1. Robert Leroy Parker was one half of a famous duo in the
Hole-in-the-Wall Gang. What's he better known as?

A2. Born William Henry McCarty Jr. in New York City, this
famous outlaw took part in the Lincoln County War and died
when he was 21. What was his infamous nickname?

B. Geography - Blessings

B1. Albanian-born Anjeze Gonxhe Bojaxhiu lived and worked the
majority of her life in India caring for the poor. She was
beatified in 2003. What's she better known as?

B2. Giovanni di Pietro di Bernardone was born in the duchy of
Spoleto in the Holy Roman Empire and spent most of his life
in Italy. Although never ordained as a priest, he founded
the Franciscan religious order and was proclaimed a saint
by Pope Gregory IX. What is he known as today?

C. Art

C1. Born on the island of Crete, Domenikos Theotokopoulos
was a painter, sculptor, and architect of the Spanish
Renaissance. He normally signed his paintings with his
full birth name in Greek letters; but what other name is
he now known by?

C2. Italian artist Michelangelo Merisi (or Amerighi) made
dramatic use of light in his work, and was also a formative
influence on Baroque painting. He's better known by the
name of a town: what is it?

D. Literature - Fictional Characters

D1. Don Diego de la Vega is a character created by Johnson
McCulley and first serialized in a work called "The Curse
of Capistrano". What was his secret identity?

D2. Sir Percy Blakeney is the hero of a novel and play by
Baroness Orczy set during the Reign of Terror at the
beginning of the French Revolution. What was his secret
identity?

E. Sports & Leisure

E1. Edson Arantes do Nascimento is Brazilian soccer royalty.
He is a 3-time World Cup winner and in 2000 shared the
FIFA Player of the Century prize with Diego Maradona.
How is he known worldwide?

E2. Garik Kimovich Weinstein is a Russian chess grandmaster,
a former world chess champion, a writer and political
activist. How is he known worldwide?

F. Miscellaneous - Cosmetics

F1. Florence Nightingale Graham, from Woodbridge ON, founded
and built a cosmetics empire in the US. At the peak of her
career she was one of the wealthiest women in the world.
What name was she known by for business purposes?

F2. Josephine Esther Mentzer and her husband co-founded a
famous American cosmetics company. She was the only woman
on Time magazine's 1998 list of the 20 most influential
business geniuses of the 20th century. What name was she
better known by?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Any company large enough to have a research lab
m...@vex.net | is large enough not to listen to it. --Alan Kay

Björn Lundin

Sep 25, 2014, 5:34:53 AM9/25/14
On 2014-09-25 10:28, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 9 - Geography - The State I'm In
>
> We'll name some states, provinces, or other political subdivisions.
> You name the country. All spellings are as used in the CIA World
> Factbook.
>
> 1. Anhui, Gansu, Hebei, Hubei.
Japan

> 2. Batman, Hakkari, Samsun, Van.
South korea

> 3. Cordoba, Formosa, Rio Negro, Santa Fe.
Mexico

> 4. Distrito Federal, Espirito Santo, Parana, Rio Grande do Norte.
Panama

> 5. Borno, Edo, Gombe, Jigawa.
Borneo

> 6. Balochistan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (formerly North-West Frontier
> Province), Punjab, Sindh.
India

> 7. Assam, Kerala, Nagaland, Sikkim.
Egypt

> 8. Basel-Landschaft, Basel-Stadt, Schaffhausen, Zug.
Switserland

> 9. Andalucia, Extremadura, Illes Baleares (Balearic Islands),
> Murcia.
Spain

> 10. Chiapas, Colima, Hidalgo, Sonora.
Brazil

> * Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Nicknames and Pseudonyms
>
> A. History - American Western Outlaws

> A2. Born William Henry McCarty Jr. in New York City, this
> famous outlaw took part in the Lincoln County War and died
> when he was 21. What was his infamous nickname?

Billy the Kid

> B. Geography - Blessings
>
> B1. Albanian-born Anjeze Gonxhe Bojaxhiu lived and worked the
> majority of her life in India caring for the poor. She was
> beatified in 2003. What's she better known as?

Mother Teresa

> D. Literature - Fictional Characters
>
> D1. Don Diego de la Vega is a character created by Johnson
> McCulley and first serialized in a work called "The Curse
> of Capistrano". What was his secret identity?

Zorro

> D2. Sir Percy Blakeney is the hero of a novel and play by
> Baroness Orczy set during the Reign of Terror at the
> beginning of the French Revolution. What was his secret
> identity?

The Scarlet Pimpernel

> E. Sports & Leisure
>
> E1. Edson Arantes do Nascimento is Brazilian soccer royalty.
> He is a 3-time World Cup winner and in 2000 shared the
> FIFA Player of the Century prize with Diego Maradona.
> How is he known worldwide?

Zicco

Björn

Dan Blum

Sep 25, 2014, 10:14:10 AM9/25/14
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 9 - Geography - The State I'm In

> 1. Anhui, Gansu, Hebei, Hubei.

China

> 2. Batman, Hakkari, Samsun, Van.

Indonesia; Malaysia

> 3. Cordoba, Formosa, Rio Negro, Santa Fe.

Colombia

> 4. Distrito Federal, Espirito Santo, Parana, Rio Grande do Norte.

Brazil

> 5. Borno, Edo, Gombe, Jigawa.

Japan; Nigeria

> 6. Balochistan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (formerly North-West Frontier
> Province), Punjab, Sindh.

Afghanistan; Pakistan

> 7. Assam, Kerala, Nagaland, Sikkim.

India

> 8. Basel-Landschaft, Basel-Stadt, Schaffhausen, Zug.

Switzerland

> 9. Andalucia, Extremadura, Illes Baleares (Balearic Islands),
> Murcia.

Spain

> 10. Chiapas, Colima, Hidalgo, Sonora.

Mexico

> * Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Nicknames and Pseudonyms

> A. History - American Western Outlaws

> A1. Robert Leroy Parker was one half of a famous duo in the
> Hole-in-the-Wall Gang. What's he better known as?

Sundance Kid

> A2. Born William Henry McCarty Jr. in New York City, this
> famous outlaw took part in the Lincoln County War and died
> when he was 21. What was his infamous nickname?

Billy the Kid

> B. Geography - Blessings

> B1. Albanian-born Anjeze Gonxhe Bojaxhiu lived and worked the
> majority of her life in India caring for the poor. She was
> beatified in 2003. What's she better known as?

Mother Theresa

> B2. Giovanni di Pietro di Bernardone was born in the duchy of
> Spoleto in the Holy Roman Empire and spent most of his life
> in Italy. Although never ordained as a priest, he founded
> the Franciscan religious order and was proclaimed a saint
> by Pope Gregory IX. What is he known as today?

Saint Francis of Assisi

> C. Art

> C1. Born on the island of Crete, Domenikos Theotokopoulos
> was a painter, sculptor, and architect of the Spanish
> Renaissance. He normally signed his paintings with his
> full birth name in Greek letters; but what other name is
> he now known by?

El Greco

> D. Literature - Fictional Characters

> D1. Don Diego de la Vega is a character created by Johnson
> McCulley and first serialized in a work called "The Curse
> of Capistrano". What was his secret identity?

Zorro

> D2. Sir Percy Blakeney is the hero of a novel and play by
> Baroness Orczy set during the Reign of Terror at the
> beginning of the French Revolution. What was his secret
> identity?

The Scarlet Pimpernel

> E. Sports & Leisure

> E1. Edson Arantes do Nascimento is Brazilian soccer royalty.
> He is a 3-time World Cup winner and in 2000 shared the
> FIFA Player of the Century prize with Diego Maradona.
> How is he known worldwide?

Pele

> E2. Garik Kimovich Weinstein is a Russian chess grandmaster,
> a former world chess champion, a writer and political
> activist. How is he known worldwide?

Gary Kasparov

> F. Miscellaneous - Cosmetics

> F1. Florence Nightingale Graham, from Woodbridge ON, founded
> and built a cosmetics empire in the US. At the peak of her
> career she was one of the wealthiest women in the world.
> What name was she known by for business purposes?

Mary Kay

> F2. Josephine Esther Mentzer and her husband co-founded a
> famous American cosmetics company. She was the only woman
> on Time magazine's 1998 list of the 20 most influential
> business geniuses of the 20th century. What name was she
> better known by?

Chanel

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Peter Smyth

Sep 25, 2014, 1:27:53 PM9/25/14
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 9 - Geography - The State I'm In
>
> We'll name some states, provinces, or other political subdivisions.
> You name the country. All spellings are as used in the CIA World
> Factbook.
>
> 1. Anhui, Gansu, Hebei, Hubei.
China, South Korea
> 2. Batman, Hakkari, Samsun, Van.
South Korea, Japan
> 3. Cordoba, Formosa, Rio Negro, Santa Fe.
Mexico
> 4. Distrito Federal, Espirito Santo, Parana, Rio Grande do Norte.
Brazil
> 5. Borno, Edo, Gombe, Jigawa.
Thailand, Malaysia
> 6. Balochistan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (formerly North-West Frontier
> Province), Punjab, Sindh.
Pakistan
> 7. Assam, Kerala, Nagaland, Sikkim.
India
> 8. Basel-Landschaft, Basel-Stadt, Schaffhausen, Zug.
Switzerland
> 9. Andalucia, Extremadura, Illes Baleares (Balearic Islands),
> Murcia.
Spain
> 10. Chiapas, Colima, Hidalgo, Sonora.
Portugal

> * Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Nicknames and Pseudonyms
>
> A. History - American Western Outlaws
>
> A1. Robert Leroy Parker was one half of a famous duo in the
> Hole-in-the-Wall Gang. What's he better known as?
Clyde
> A2. Born William Henry McCarty Jr. in New York City, this
> famous outlaw took part in the Lincoln County War and died
> when he was 21. What was his infamous nickname?
Billy the Kid

> B. Geography - Blessings
>
> B1. Albanian-born Anjeze Gonxhe Bojaxhiu lived and worked the
> majority of her life in India caring for the poor. She was
> beatified in 2003. What's she better known as?
Mother Teresa
> B2. Giovanni di Pietro di Bernardone was born in the duchy of
> Spoleto in the Holy Roman Empire and spent most of his life
> in Italy. Although never ordained as a priest, he founded
> the Franciscan religious order and was proclaimed a saint
> by Pope Gregory IX. What is he known as today?
Francis of Assisi

> C. Art
>
> C1. Born on the island of Crete, Domenikos Theotokopoulos
> was a painter, sculptor, and architect of the Spanish
> Renaissance. He normally signed his paintings with his
> full birth name in Greek letters; but what other name is
> he now known by?
Donatello
> C2. Italian artist Michelangelo Merisi (or Amerighi) made
> dramatic use of light in his work, and was also a formative
> influence on Baroque painting. He's better known by the
> name of a town: what is it?
>

> D. Literature - Fictional Characters
>
> D1. Don Diego de la Vega is a character created by Johnson
> McCulley and first serialized in a work called "The Curse
> of Capistrano". What was his secret identity?
>
> D2. Sir Percy Blakeney is the hero of a novel and play by
> Baroness Orczy set during the Reign of Terror at the
> beginning of the French Revolution. What was his secret
> identity?
The Scarlet Pimpernel

> E. Sports & Leisure
>
> E1. Edson Arantes do Nascimento is Brazilian soccer royalty.
> He is a 3-time World Cup winner and in 2000 shared the
> FIFA Player of the Century prize with Diego Maradona.
> How is he known worldwide?
Pele
> E2. Garik Kimovich Weinstein is a Russian chess grandmaster,
> a former world chess champion, a writer and political
> activist. How is he known worldwide?
Gary Kasparov

> F. Miscellaneous - Cosmetics
>
> F1. Florence Nightingale Graham, from Woodbridge ON, founded
> and built a cosmetics empire in the US. At the peak of her
> career she was one of the wealthiest women in the world.
> What name was she known by for business purposes?
>
> F2. Josephine Esther Mentzer and her husband co-founded a
> famous American cosmetics company. She was the only woman
> on Time magazine's 1998 list of the 20 most influential
> business geniuses of the 20th century. What name was she
> better known by?

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 25, 2014, 4:53:03 PM9/25/14
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 1, Round 9 - Geography - The State I'm In
>
> 1. Anhui, Gansu, Hebei, Hubei.

China, People's Replulic of

> 2. Batman, Hakkari, Samsun, Van.

Turkey

> 3. Cordoba, Formosa, Rio Negro, Santa Fe.

Argentina

> 4. Distrito Federal, Espirito Santo, Parana, Rio Grande do Norte.

Brazil

> 5. Borno, Edo, Gombe, Jigawa.

Nigeria

> 6. Balochistan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (formerly North-West Frontier
> Province), Punjab, Sindh.

Pakistan

> 7. Assam, Kerala, Nagaland, Sikkim.

India

> 8. Basel-Landschaft, Basel-Stadt, Schaffhausen, Zug.

Switzerland

> 9. Andalucia, Extremadura, Illes Baleares (Balearic Islands),
> Murcia.

Spain

> 10. Chiapas, Colima, Hidalgo, Sonora.

Mexico

> * Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Nicknames and Pseudonyms
> B. Geography - Blessings
>
> B1. Albanian-born Anjeze Gonxhe Bojaxhiu lived and worked the
> majority of her life in India caring for the poor. She was
> beatified in 2003. What's she better known as?

Mother Teresa

> C. Art
>
> C1. Born on the island of Crete, Domenikos Theotokopoulos
> was a painter, sculptor, and architect of the Spanish
> Renaissance. He normally signed his paintings with his
> full birth name in Greek letters; but what other name is
> he now known by?

Goya

> E1. Edson Arantes do Nascimento is Brazilian soccer royalty.
> He is a 3-time World Cup winner and in 2000 shared the
> FIFA Player of the Century prize with Diego Maradona.
> How is he known worldwide?

Pel�

> E2. Garik Kimovich Weinstein is a Russian chess grandmaster,
> a former world chess champion, a writer and political
> activist. How is he known worldwide?

Garry Kasparov

Marc Dashevsky

Sep 25, 2014, 7:43:47 PM9/25/14
In article <KvadnbtHKcugT77J...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...

> * Game 1, Round 9 - Geography - The State I'm In
>
> We'll name some states, provinces, or other political subdivisions.
> You name the country. All spellings are as used in the CIA World
> Factbook.
>
> 1. Anhui, Gansu, Hebei, Hubei.
China

> 2. Batman, Hakkari, Samsun, Van.
South Korea

> 3. Cordoba, Formosa, Rio Negro, Santa Fe.
Venezuela

> 4. Distrito Federal, Espirito Santo, Parana, Rio Grande do Norte.
Brazil

> 5. Borno, Edo, Gombe, Jigawa.
Japan

> 6. Balochistan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (formerly North-West Frontier
> Province), Punjab, Sindh.
Pakistan

> 7. Assam, Kerala, Nagaland, Sikkim.
India

> 8. Basel-Landschaft, Basel-Stadt, Schaffhausen, Zug.
Switzerland

> 9. Andalucia, Extremadura, Illes Baleares (Balearic Islands),
> Murcia.
Spain

> 10. Chiapas, Colima, Hidalgo, Sonora.
Mexico

> * Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Nicknames and Pseudonyms
>
> A. History - American Western Outlaws
>
> A1. Robert Leroy Parker was one half of a famous duo in the
> Hole-in-the-Wall Gang. What's he better known as?
>
> A2. Born William Henry McCarty Jr. in New York City, this
> famous outlaw took part in the Lincoln County War and died
> when he was 21. What was his infamous nickname?
Billy the Kid

> B. Geography - Blessings
>
> B1. Albanian-born Anjeze Gonxhe Bojaxhiu lived and worked the
> majority of her life in India caring for the poor. She was
> beatified in 2003. What's she better known as?
Mother Teresa (Christopher Hitchens claimed that she was a fraud.)

> B2. Giovanni di Pietro di Bernardone was born in the duchy of
> Spoleto in the Holy Roman Empire and spent most of his life
> in Italy. Although never ordained as a priest, he founded
> the Franciscan religious order and was proclaimed a saint
> by Pope Gregory IX. What is he known as today?
St. Francis of Assisi

> C. Art
>
> C1. Born on the island of Crete, Domenikos Theotokopoulos
> was a painter, sculptor, and architect of the Spanish
> Renaissance. He normally signed his paintings with his
> full birth name in Greek letters; but what other name is
> he now known by?
El Greco

> C2. Italian artist Michelangelo Merisi (or Amerighi) made
> dramatic use of light in his work, and was also a formative
> influence on Baroque painting. He's better known by the
> name of a town: what is it?
>

> D. Literature - Fictional Characters
>
> D1. Don Diego de la Vega is a character created by Johnson
> McCulley and first serialized in a work called "The Curse
> of Capistrano". What was his secret identity?
Zorro

> D2. Sir Percy Blakeney is the hero of a novel and play by
> Baroness Orczy set during the Reign of Terror at the
> beginning of the French Revolution. What was his secret
> identity?
Scarlet Pimpernel

> E. Sports & Leisure
>
> E1. Edson Arantes do Nascimento is Brazilian soccer royalty.
> He is a 3-time World Cup winner and in 2000 shared the
> FIFA Player of the Century prize with Diego Maradona.
> How is he known worldwide?
Pele

> E2. Garik Kimovich Weinstein is a Russian chess grandmaster,
> a former world chess champion, a writer and political
> activist. How is he known worldwide?
Gary Kasparov

> F. Miscellaneous - Cosmetics
>
> F1. Florence Nightingale Graham, from Woodbridge ON, founded
> and built a cosmetics empire in the US. At the peak of her
> career she was one of the wealthiest women in the world.
> What name was she known by for business purposes?
>
> F2. Josephine Esther Mentzer and her husband co-founded a
> famous American cosmetics company. She was the only woman
> on Time magazine's 1998 list of the 20 most influential
> business geniuses of the 20th century. What name was she
> better known by?
Estee Lauder

Rob Parker

Sep 26, 2014, 7:33:47 PM9/26/14
> * Game 1, Round 9 - Geography - The State I'm In
>
> 1. Anhui, Gansu, Hebei, Hubei.

China

> 2. Batman, Hakkari, Samsun, Van.

South Korea

> 3. Cordoba, Formosa, Rio Negro, Santa Fe.

Argentina

> 4. Distrito Federal, Espirito Santo, Parana, Rio Grande do Norte.

Brazil; Paraguay

> 5. Borno, Edo, Gombe, Jigawa.

Japan

> 6. Balochistan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (formerly North-West Frontier
> Province), Punjab, Sindh.

India; Pakistan

> 7. Assam, Kerala, Nagaland, Sikkim.

India; Nepal

> 8. Basel-Landschaft, Basel-Stadt, Schaffhausen, Zug.

Switzerland

> 9. Andalucia, Extremadura, Illes Baleares (Balearic Islands),
> Murcia.

Spain

> 10. Chiapas, Colima, Hidalgo, Sonora.

Mexico

> * Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Nicknames and Pseudonyms
>
> A1. Robert Leroy Parker was one half of a famous duo in the
> Hole-in-the-Wall Gang. What's he better known as?

Butch Cassidy
[fortunately, I don't share the same middle name]

> A2. Born William Henry McCarty Jr. in New York City, this
> famous outlaw took part in the Lincoln County War and died
> when he was 21. What was his infamous nickname?

Billy the Kid

> B1. Albanian-born Anjeze Gonxhe Bojaxhiu lived and worked the
> majority of her life in India caring for the poor. She was
> beatified in 2003. What's she better known as?

Mother Teresa

> C1. Born on the island of Crete, Domenikos Theotokopoulos
> was a painter, sculptor, and architect of the Spanish
> Renaissance. He normally signed his paintings with his
> full birth name in Greek letters; but what other name is
> he now known by?

El Greco

> D1. Don Diego de la Vega is a character created by Johnson
> McCulley and first serialized in a work called "The Curse
> of Capistrano". What was his secret identity?

Zorro

> D2. Sir Percy Blakeney is the hero of a novel and play by
> Baroness Orczy set during the Reign of Terror at the
> beginning of the French Revolution. What was his secret
> identity?

The Scarlet Pimpernel

> E1. Edson Arantes do Nascimento is Brazilian soccer royalty.
> He is a 3-time World Cup winner and in 2000 shared the
> FIFA Player of the Century prize with Diego Maradona.
> How is he known worldwide?

Pele

Rob

Joshua Kreitzer

Sep 26, 2014, 7:46:56 PM9/26/14
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> * Game 1, Round 9 - Geography - The State I'm In
>
> We'll name some states, provinces, or other political subdivisions.
> You name the country.
>
> 1. Anhui, Gansu, Hebei, Hubei.

China

> 2. Batman, Hakkari, Samsun, Van.

Turkey

> 3. Cordoba, Formosa, Rio Negro, Santa Fe.

Argentina

> 4. Distrito Federal, Espirito Santo, Parana, Rio Grande do Norte.

Brazil

> 6. Balochistan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (formerly North-West Frontier
> Province), Punjab, Sindh.

Pakistan

> 7. Assam, Kerala, Nagaland, Sikkim.

India

> 8. Basel-Landschaft, Basel-Stadt, Schaffhausen, Zug.

Switzerland

> 9. Andalucia, Extremadura, Illes Baleares (Balearic Islands),
> Murcia.

Spain

> 10. Chiapas, Colima, Hidalgo, Sonora.

Mexico

> * Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Nicknames and Pseudonyms
>
> A. History - American Western Outlaws
>
> A1. Robert Leroy Parker was one half of a famous duo in the
> Hole-in-the-Wall Gang. What's he better known as?

The Sundance Kid

> A2. Born William Henry McCarty Jr. in New York City, this
> famous outlaw took part in the Lincoln County War and died
> when he was 21. What was his infamous nickname?

Billy the Kid

> B. Geography - Blessings
>
> B1. Albanian-born Anjeze Gonxhe Bojaxhiu lived and worked the
> majority of her life in India caring for the poor. She was
> beatified in 2003. What's she better known as?

Mother Teresa

> B2. Giovanni di Pietro di Bernardone was born in the duchy of
> Spoleto in the Holy Roman Empire and spent most of his life
> in Italy. Although never ordained as a priest, he founded
> the Franciscan religious order and was proclaimed a saint
> by Pope Gregory IX. What is he known as today?

Francis of Assisi

> C. Art
>
> C1. Born on the island of Crete, Domenikos Theotokopoulos
> was a painter, sculptor, and architect of the Spanish
> Renaissance. He normally signed his paintings with his
> full birth name in Greek letters; but what other name is
> he now known by?

El Greco

> D. Literature - Fictional Characters
>
> D1. Don Diego de la Vega is a character created by Johnson
> McCulley and first serialized in a work called "The Curse
> of Capistrano". What was his secret identity?

Zorro

> D2. Sir Percy Blakeney is the hero of a novel and play by
> Baroness Orczy set during the Reign of Terror at the
> beginning of the French Revolution. What was his secret
> identity?

The Scarlet Pimpernel

> E. Sports & Leisure
>
> E1. Edson Arantes do Nascimento is Brazilian soccer royalty.
> He is a 3-time World Cup winner and in 2000 shared the
> FIFA Player of the Century prize with Diego Maradona.
> How is he known worldwide?

Pele

> E2. Garik Kimovich Weinstein is a Russian chess grandmaster,
> a former world chess champion, a writer and political
> activist. How is he known worldwide?

Garry Kasparov

> F. Miscellaneous - Cosmetics
>
> F1. Florence Nightingale Graham, from Woodbridge ON, founded
> and built a cosmetics empire in the US. At the peak of her
> career she was one of the wealthiest women in the world.
> What name was she known by for business purposes?

Elizabeth Arden

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Jason Kreitzer

Sep 26, 2014, 8:44:27 PM9/26/14
On Thursday, September 25, 2014 4:28:45 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-09-15,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,

> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>

> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe, and are
>
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
>
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
>
> my 2014-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
>
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 9 - Geography - The State I'm In
>

> We'll name some states, provinces, or other political subdivisions.
>
> You name the country. All spellings are as used in the CIA World
>
> Factbook.
>

> 1. Anhui, Gansu, Hebei, Hubei.
>
> 2. Batman, Hakkari, Samsun, Van.
>
> 3. Cordoba, Formosa, Rio Negro, Santa Fe.
Argentina
> 4. Distrito Federal, Espirito Santo, Parana, Rio Grande do Norte.
>
> 5. Borno, Edo, Gombe, Jigawa.
Japan
> 6. Balochistan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (formerly North-West Frontier
>
> Province), Punjab, Sindh.
India
> 7. Assam, Kerala, Nagaland, Sikkim.
>
> 8. Basel-Landschaft, Basel-Stadt, Schaffhausen, Zug.
>
> 9. Andalucia, Extremadura, Illes Baleares (Balearic Islands),
>
> Murcia.
>
> 10. Chiapas, Colima, Hidalgo, Sonora.
>

> * Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Nicknames and Pseudonyms
>

> A. History - American Western Outlaws
>

> A1. Robert Leroy Parker was one half of a famous duo in the
>
> Hole-in-the-Wall Gang. What's he better known as?
>

> A2. Born William Henry McCarty Jr. in New York City, this
>
> famous outlaw took part in the Lincoln County War and died
>
> when he was 21. What was his infamous nickname?
Billy the Kid

> B. Geography - Blessings
>

> B1. Albanian-born Anjeze Gonxhe Bojaxhiu lived and worked the
>
> majority of her life in India caring for the poor. She was
>
> beatified in 2003. What's she better known as?
Mother Theresa

> B2. Giovanni di Pietro di Bernardone was born in the duchy of
>
> Spoleto in the Holy Roman Empire and spent most of his life
>
> in Italy. Although never ordained as a priest, he founded
>
> the Franciscan religious order and was proclaimed a saint
>
> by Pope Gregory IX. What is he known as today?
>

> C. Art
>

> C1. Born on the island of Crete, Domenikos Theotokopoulos
>
> was a painter, sculptor, and architect of the Spanish
>
> Renaissance. He normally signed his paintings with his
>
> full birth name in Greek letters; but what other name is
>
> he now known by?
El Greco

> C2. Italian artist Michelangelo Merisi (or Amerighi) made
>
> dramatic use of light in his work, and was also a formative
>
> influence on Baroque painting. He's better known by the
>
> name of a town: what is it?
>

> D. Literature - Fictional Characters
>

> D1. Don Diego de la Vega is a character created by Johnson
>
> McCulley and first serialized in a work called "The Curse
>
> of Capistrano". What was his secret identity?
Zorro

> D2. Sir Percy Blakeney is the hero of a novel and play by
>
> Baroness Orczy set during the Reign of Terror at the
>
> beginning of the French Revolution. What was his secret
>
> identity?
The Scarlet Pimpernel

> E. Sports & Leisure
>

> E1. Edson Arantes do Nascimento is Brazilian soccer royalty.
>
> He is a 3-time World Cup winner and in 2000 shared the
>
> FIFA Player of the Century prize with Diego Maradona.
>
> How is he known worldwide?
Pele

Jeffrey Turner

Sep 27, 2014, 12:19:29 AM9/27/14
On 9/25/2014 4:28 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 9 - Geography - The State I'm In
>
> We'll name some states, provinces, or other political subdivisions.
> You name the country. All spellings are as used in the CIA World
> Factbook.
>
> 1. Anhui, Gansu, Hebei, Hubei.
> 2. Batman, Hakkari, Samsun, Van.
> 3. Cordoba, Formosa, Rio Negro, Santa Fe.
Philippines
> 4. Distrito Federal, Espirito Santo, Parana, Rio Grande do Norte.
Mexico
> 5. Borno, Edo, Gombe, Jigawa.
> 6. Balochistan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (formerly North-West Frontier
> Province), Punjab, Sindh.
Pakistan
> 7. Assam, Kerala, Nagaland, Sikkim.
India
> 8. Basel-Landschaft, Basel-Stadt, Schaffhausen, Zug.
Germany
> 9. Andalucia, Extremadura, Illes Baleares (Balearic Islands),
> Murcia.
Spain
> 10. Chiapas, Colima, Hidalgo, Sonora.
>

> * Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Nicknames and Pseudonyms
>
> A. History - American Western Outlaws
>
> A1. Robert Leroy Parker was one half of a famous duo in the
> Hole-in-the-Wall Gang. What's he better known as?
>
> A2. Born William Henry McCarty Jr. in New York City, this
> famous outlaw took part in the Lincoln County War and died
> when he was 21. What was his infamous nickname?
>

> B. Geography - Blessings
>
> B1. Albanian-born Anjeze Gonxhe Bojaxhiu lived and worked the
> majority of her life in India caring for the poor. She was
> beatified in 2003. What's she better known as?

Mother Teresa

> B2. Giovanni di Pietro di Bernardone was born in the duchy of
> Spoleto in the Holy Roman Empire and spent most of his life
> in Italy. Although never ordained as a priest, he founded
> the Franciscan religious order and was proclaimed a saint
> by Pope Gregory IX. What is he known as today?
>

> C. Art
>
> C1. Born on the island of Crete, Domenikos Theotokopoulos
> was a painter, sculptor, and architect of the Spanish
> Renaissance. He normally signed his paintings with his
> full birth name in Greek letters; but what other name is
> he now known by?

El Greco

> C2. Italian artist Michelangelo Merisi (or Amerighi) made
> dramatic use of light in his work, and was also a formative
> influence on Baroque painting. He's better known by the
> name of a town: what is it?
>

> D. Literature - Fictional Characters
>
> D1. Don Diego de la Vega is a character created by Johnson
> McCulley and first serialized in a work called "The Curse
> of Capistrano". What was his secret identity?

Zorro

> D2. Sir Percy Blakeney is the hero of a novel and play by
> Baroness Orczy set during the Reign of Terror at the
> beginning of the French Revolution. What was his secret
> identity?
>

> E. Sports & Leisure
>
> E1. Edson Arantes do Nascimento is Brazilian soccer royalty.
> He is a 3-time World Cup winner and in 2000 shared the
> FIFA Player of the Century prize with Diego Maradona.
> How is he known worldwide?

Pele

> E2. Garik Kimovich Weinstein is a Russian chess grandmaster,
> a former world chess champion, a writer and political
> activist. How is he known worldwide?

Kasparov

> F. Miscellaneous - Cosmetics
>
> F1. Florence Nightingale Graham, from Woodbridge ON, founded
> and built a cosmetics empire in the US. At the peak of her
> career she was one of the wealthiest women in the world.
> What name was she known by for business purposes?

Mary Kay

> F2. Josephine Esther Mentzer and her husband co-founded a
> famous American cosmetics company. She was the only woman
> on Time magazine's 1998 list of the 20 most influential
> business geniuses of the 20th century. What name was she
> better known by?

--Jeff

Mark Brader

Sep 27, 2014, 2:48:43 AM9/27/14
Mark Brader:
>> A1. Robert Leroy Parker was one half of a famous duo in the
>> Hole-in-the-Wall Gang. What's he better known as?

Rob Parker:
> [fortunately, I don't share the same middle name]

And now you see why Americans so often refer to criminals or alleged
criminals by full name even when the people themselves went by some
other form.
--
Mark Brader "I used to own a mind like a steel trap.
Toronto Perhaps if I'd specified a brass one, it

Pete

Sep 27, 2014, 10:53:18 PM9/27/14
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-09-15,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe, and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2014-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 9 - Geography - The State I'm In
>
> We'll name some states, provinces, or other political subdivisions.
> You name the country. All spellings are as used in the CIA World
> Factbook.
>
> 1. Anhui, Gansu, Hebei, Hubei.

Taiwan; China

> 2. Batman, Hakkari, Samsun, Van.

Turey

> 3. Cordoba, Formosa, Rio Negro, Santa Fe.

Argentina

> 4. Distrito Federal, Espirito Santo, Parana, Rio Grande do Norte.

Colombia; Venezuela

> 5. Borno, Edo, Gombe, Jigawa.

Japan

> 6. Balochistan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (formerly North-West Frontier
> Province), Punjab, Sindh.

Pakistan

> 7. Assam, Kerala, Nagaland, Sikkim.

India

> 8. Basel-Landschaft, Basel-Stadt, Schaffhausen, Zug.

Switzerland

> 9. Andalucia, Extremadura, Illes Baleares (Balearic Islands),
> Murcia.

Spain

> 10. Chiapas, Colima, Hidalgo, Sonora.

Mexico

> * Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Nicknames and Pseudonyms
>
> A. History - American Western Outlaws
>
> A1. Robert Leroy Parker was one half of a famous duo in the
> Hole-in-the-Wall Gang. What's he better known as?

Sundance Kid

> A2. Born William Henry McCarty Jr. in New York City, this
> famous outlaw took part in the Lincoln County War and died
> when he was 21. What was his infamous nickname?

Billy the Kid

> B. Geography - Blessings
>
> B1. Albanian-born Anjeze Gonxhe Bojaxhiu lived and worked the
> majority of her life in India caring for the poor. She was
> beatified in 2003. What's she better known as?

Mother Teresa

> B2. Giovanni di Pietro di Bernardone was born in the duchy of
> Spoleto in the Holy Roman Empire and spent most of his life
> in Italy. Although never ordained as a priest, he founded
> the Franciscan religious order and was proclaimed a saint
> by Pope Gregory IX. What is he known as today?

St Bernard

> C. Art
>
> C1. Born on the island of Crete, Domenikos Theotokopoulos
> was a painter, sculptor, and architect of the Spanish
> Renaissance. He normally signed his paintings with his
> full birth name in Greek letters; but what other name is
> he now known by?

El Greco

> C2. Italian artist Michelangelo Merisi (or Amerighi) made
> dramatic use of light in his work, and was also a formative
> influence on Baroque painting. He's better known by the
> name of a town: what is it?

Leonardo da Vinci

> D. Literature - Fictional Characters
>
> D1. Don Diego de la Vega is a character created by Johnson
> McCulley and first serialized in a work called "The Curse
> of Capistrano". What was his secret identity?

Zorro

> D2. Sir Percy Blakeney is the hero of a novel and play by
> Baroness Orczy set during the Reign of Terror at the
> beginning of the French Revolution. What was his secret
> identity?

The Scarlet Pimpernel

> E. Sports & Leisure
>
> E1. Edson Arantes do Nascimento is Brazilian soccer royalty.
> He is a 3-time World Cup winner and in 2000 shared the
> FIFA Player of the Century prize with Diego Maradona.
> How is he known worldwide?

Pele

> E2. Garik Kimovich Weinstein is a Russian chess grandmaster,
> a former world chess champion, a writer and political
> activist. How is he known worldwide?

Garry Kasparov

> F. Miscellaneous - Cosmetics
>
> F1. Florence Nightingale Graham, from Woodbridge ON, founded
> and built a cosmetics empire in the US. At the peak of her
> career she was one of the wealthiest women in the world.
> What name was she known by for business purposes?

Estee Lauder

> F2. Josephine Esther Mentzer and her husband co-founded a
> famous American cosmetics company. She was the only woman
> on Time magazine's 1998 list of the 20 most influential
> business geniuses of the 20th century. What name was she
> better known by?

Estee Lauder

Pete

Dan Tilque

Sep 28, 2014, 4:49:57 AM9/28/14
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 9 - Geography - The State I'm In
>
> We'll name some states, provinces, or other political subdivisions.
> You name the country. All spellings are as used in the CIA World
> Factbook.
>
> 1. Anhui, Gansu, Hebei, Hubei.

Malaysia

> 2. Batman, Hakkari, Samsun, Van.

Turkey

> 3. Cordoba, Formosa, Rio Negro, Santa Fe.

Colombia

> 4. Distrito Federal, Espirito Santo, Parana, Rio Grande do Norte.

Brazil

> 5. Borno, Edo, Gombe, Jigawa.

Papua New Guinea

> 6. Balochistan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (formerly North-West Frontier
> Province), Punjab, Sindh.

Pakistan

> 7. Assam, Kerala, Nagaland, Sikkim.

India

> 8. Basel-Landschaft, Basel-Stadt, Schaffhausen, Zug.

Switzerland

> 9. Andalucia, Extremadura, Illes Baleares (Balearic Islands),
> Murcia.

Spain

> 10. Chiapas, Colima, Hidalgo, Sonora.

Mexico

> * Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Nicknames and Pseudonyms
>
> A. History - American Western Outlaws
>
> A1. Robert Leroy Parker was one half of a famous duo in the
> Hole-in-the-Wall Gang. What's he better known as?
>
> A2. Born William Henry McCarty Jr. in New York City, this
> famous outlaw took part in the Lincoln County War and died
> when he was 21. What was his infamous nickname?

Billy the Kid

> B. Geography - Blessings
>
> B1. Albanian-born Anjeze Gonxhe Bojaxhiu lived and worked the
> majority of her life in India caring for the poor. She was
> beatified in 2003. What's she better known as?

Mother Theresa

> B2. Giovanni di Pietro di Bernardone was born in the duchy of
> Spoleto in the Holy Roman Empire and spent most of his life
> in Italy. Although never ordained as a priest, he founded
> the Franciscan religious order and was proclaimed a saint
> by Pope Gregory IX. What is he known as today?

Francis of Assisi ?

> C. Art
>
> C1. Born on the island of Crete, Domenikos Theotokopoulos
> was a painter, sculptor, and architect of the Spanish
> Renaissance. He normally signed his paintings with his
> full birth name in Greek letters; but what other name is
> he now known by?

El Greco

> C2. Italian artist Michelangelo Merisi (or Amerighi) made
> dramatic use of light in his work, and was also a formative
> influence on Baroque painting. He's better known by the
> name of a town: what is it?
>

> D. Literature - Fictional Characters
>
> D1. Don Diego de la Vega is a character created by Johnson
> McCulley and first serialized in a work called "The Curse
> of Capistrano". What was his secret identity?

Zorro

> D2. Sir Percy Blakeney is the hero of a novel and play by
> Baroness Orczy set during the Reign of Terror at the
> beginning of the French Revolution. What was his secret
> identity?

Scarlet Pimpernel

> E. Sports & Leisure
>
> E1. Edson Arantes do Nascimento is Brazilian soccer royalty.
> He is a 3-time World Cup winner and in 2000 shared the
> FIFA Player of the Century prize with Diego Maradona.
> How is he known worldwide?

Pele ?

> E2. Garik Kimovich Weinstein is a Russian chess grandmaster,
> a former world chess champion, a writer and political
> activist. How is he known worldwide?

Kasparov?

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Sep 28, 2014, 7:18:14 AM9/28/14
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-09-15,
> see my 2014-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 1 is over and the winner is JOSHUA KREITZER. Hearty congratulations!

> * Game 1, Round 9 - Geography - The State I'm In

> We'll name some states, provinces, or other political subdivisions.
> You name the country. All spellings are as used in the CIA World
> Factbook.

> 1. Anhui, Gansu, Hebei, Hubei.

China. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Marc, Rob, and Joshua. 3 for Peter.
2 for Pete.

> 2. Batman, Hakkari, Samsun, Van.

Turkey. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. Cordoba, Formosa, Rio Negro, Santa Fe.

Argentina. 4 for Erland, Rob, Joshua, Jason, and Pete.

> 4. Distrito Federal, Espirito Santo, Parana, Rio Grande do Norte.

Brazil. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Erland, Marc, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.
3 for Rob.

> 5. Borno, Edo, Gombe, Jigawa.

Nigeria. 4 for Erland. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 6. Balochistan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (formerly North-West Frontier
> Province), Punjab, Sindh.

Pakistan. 4 for Peter, Erland, Marc, Joshua, Jeff, Pete,
and Dan Tilque. 2 for Dan Blum and Rob.

> 7. Assam, Kerala, Nagaland, Sikkim.

India. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Erland, Marc, Joshua, Jeff, Pete,
and Dan Tilque. 3 for Rob.

> 8. Basel-Landschaft, Basel-Stadt, Schaffhausen, Zug.

Switzerland. 4 for Björn, Dan Blum, Peter, Erland, Marc, Rob,
Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 9. Andalucia, Extremadura, Illes Baleares (Balearic Islands),
> Murcia.

Spain. 4 for Björn, Dan Blum, Peter, Erland, Marc, Rob, Joshua,
Jeff, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 10. Chiapas, Colima, Hidalgo, Sonora.

Mexico. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Marc, Rob, Joshua, Pete,
and Dan Tilque.

> * Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Nicknames and Pseudonyms

> A. History - American Western Outlaws

> A1. Robert Leroy Parker was one half of a famous duo in the
> Hole-in-the-Wall Gang. What's he better known as?

Butch Cassidy. 4 for Rob.

> A2. Born William Henry McCarty Jr. in New York City, this
> famous outlaw took part in the Lincoln County War and died
> when he was 21. What was his infamous nickname?

Billy the Kid. 4 for Björn, Dan Blum, Peter, Marc, Rob, Joshua,
Jason, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> B. Geography - Blessings

> B1. Albanian-born Anjeze Gonxhe Bojaxhiu lived and worked the
> majority of her life in India caring for the poor. She was
> beatified in 2003. What's she better known as?

Mother Teresa, or the Blessed Teresa of Calcutta. 4 for everyone
-- Björn, Dan Blum, Peter, Erland, Marc, Rob, Joshua, Jason, Jeff,
Pete, and Dan Tilque.

For a contrary description, see "The Missionary Position" by
Christopher Hitchens.

> B2. Giovanni di Pietro di Bernardone was born in the duchy of
> Spoleto in the Holy Roman Empire and spent most of his life
> in Italy. Although never ordained as a priest, he founded
> the Franciscan religious order and was proclaimed a saint
> by Pope Gregory IX. What is he known as today?

St. Francis of Assisi. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Marc, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> C. Art

> C1. Born on the island of Crete, Domenikos Theotokopoulos
> was a painter, sculptor, and architect of the Spanish
> Renaissance. He normally signed his paintings with his
> full birth name in Greek letters; but what other name is
> he now known by?

El Greco. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Rob, Joshua, Jason, Jeff, Pete,
and Dan Tilque.

> C2. Italian artist Michelangelo Merisi (or Amerighi) made
> dramatic use of light in his work, and was also a formative
> influence on Baroque painting. He's better known by the
> name of a town: what is it?

Caravaggio.

> D. Literature - Fictional Characters

> D1. Don Diego de la Vega is a character created by Johnson
> McCulley and first serialized in a work called "The Curse
> of Capistrano". What was his secret identity?

Zorro. 4 for Björn, Dan Blum, Marc, Rob, Joshua, Jason, Jeff,
Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> D2. Sir Percy Blakeney is the hero of a novel and play by
> Baroness Orczy set during the Reign of Terror at the
> beginning of the French Revolution. What was his secret
> identity?

The Scarlet Pimpernel. 4 for Björn, Dan Blum, Peter, Marc, Rob,
Joshua, Jason, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> E. Sports & Leisure

> E1. Edson Arantes do Nascimento is Brazilian soccer royalty.
> He is a 3-time World Cup winner and in 2000 shared the
> FIFA Player of the Century prize with Diego Maradona.
> How is he known worldwide?

Pelé. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Erland, Marc, Rob, Joshua, Jason,
Jeff, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> E2. Garik Kimovich Weinstein is a Russian chess grandmaster,
> a former world chess champion, a writer and political
> activist. How is he known worldwide?

Garry Kasparov. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Erland, Marc, Joshua, Jeff,
Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> F. Miscellaneous - Cosmetics

> F1. Florence Nightingale Graham, from Woodbridge ON, founded
> and built a cosmetics empire in the US. At the peak of her
> career she was one of the wealthiest women in the world.
> What name was she known by for business purposes?

Elizabeth Arden. 4 for Joshua.

> F2. Josephine Esther Mentzer and her husband co-founded a
> famous American cosmetics company. She was the only woman
> on Time magazine's 1998 list of the 20 most influential
> business geniuses of the 20th century. What name was she
> better known by?

Estée Lauder. 4 for Marc and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Sci His Lit Can Lit Spo Geo Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 24 14 28 19 40 16 36 36 183
Marc Dashevsky 32 31 8 8 35 12 28 36 174
Dan Blum 32 27 8 8 40 7 28 32 167
Rob Parker 28 16 23 0 32 0 28 28 155
Dan Tilque 32 24 4 0 -- -- 28 32 120
Peter Smyth 16 23 12 4 20 0 23 24 118
Bruce Bowler 28 8 12 4 40 7 -- -- 99
Pete Gayde 19 14 -- -- -- -- 30 32 95
Jeff Turner -- -- 0 0 40 16 12 20 88
Erland Sommarskog 7 23 -- -- -- -- 40 12 82
Björn Lundin 8 28 0 4 0 0 8 16 64
Jason Kreitzer 12 0 0 4 12 4 4 24 60
"Calvin" 21 3 -- -- -- -- -- -- 24

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Remember, folks, determinism is your *friend*!
m...@vex.net | (Or is that "Your friend is deterministic"?)