QFTCICR19 Game 5, Rounds 9-10: CanFood, challenge

Mark Brader

Mar 25, 2019, 2:32:55 AM3/25/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-03-04,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Cellar Rats and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Game 5, Round 9 - Canadiana - Cuisine

In each case, name the food described.

1. A type of porridge made with a blend of wheat, rye, and flaxseed,
first created in the 1920s in Manitoba.

2. A brand or type of semi-soft rind cheese that was originally
manufactured by Trappist monks.

3. A fried dough pastry, stretched and sometimes coiled. Served to
President Obama when he visited Canada.

4. A no-bake dessert consisting of three layers: a wafer and
chocolate crumb base, custard-flavored butter icing in the
middle, and a layer of chocolate gamache on top.

5. Lean boneless pork loin, trimmed fine, wet cured, and rolled
in cornmeal. It is not smoked. It is the main ingredient in
the St. Lawrence Market's signature sandwich.

6. A dish popular in Quebec, made of layered ground beef, sautéed
onions, canned kernel corn, canned creamed corn, and mashed
potatoes on top. Answer in French.

7. A dense bread product that contains malt, egg, and no salt,
and is boiled in honey-sweetened water before being baked,
traditionally in a wood-fired oven. Often finished with
poppy seeds. Hint: its name refers to a city.

8. A type of chicken sandwich consisting of chicken, sliced bread,
and gravy. It is usually served with green peas and commonly
found in Québécois and Eastern Canadian cuisine. *Either*
name the sandwich in English or French, or else name the Quebec
restaurant chain that sells vast quantities of this item and
is the 16th-largest chain in Canada.

9. A pickled vegetable sauce or topping, popular in Quebec and
Eastern Canada. Acadians brought the recipe to the American
South. It is a combination of vegetables, mainly green and red
tomatoes, onions, carrots, beans of various types, asparagus,
cauliflower, and peas. We will accept the American name or
the one used here.

10. A Maritime dessert consisting of bread crumbs, raisins, brown
sugar, molasses, butter, flour, and spices. These are mixed and
put in a pudding bag, wrapped in cheesecloth, or stuffed into
an empty can and then boiled, usually along with the cooking
vegetables or the Jiggs dinner.

** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round

* A. Grey Cup

A1. Which team won the Grey Cup every year from 1978 to 1982?

A2. The Toronto Argonauts have had the most wins since the Cup
was established in 1909. How many, within 1?

* B. Oscars Refused

B1. Because of the treatment of American Indians, this actor
refused to collect his Oscar in 1973. Name this star *and*
the movie he won for.

B2. For which movie did George C. Scott refuse an Oscar?

* C. First Prime Ministers

C1. Who was Israel's first prime minister?

C2. While the title was not then official, who is now usually
considered to have been the first prime minister of Great
Britain?

* D. Transit Systems

D1. What North American city has a transit system called BART?

D2. What European city has a transit system called DART?

* E. Space Probes

E1. In January the New Horizons space probe visited the Kuiper
Belt object Ultima Thule. Which other solar system body
did it visit before that?

E2. The Japanese space agency JAXA currently has a probe visiting
the asteroid Ryugu while NASA has one visiting the asteroid
Bennu. What is the primary objective of both missions?

* F. Integers

F1. What is the first positive integer spelled in English with
all its letters in alphabetical order? For example, if we
had said "in French" it would be 2 -- spelled "deux".

F2. 1 is both a perfect square and a perfect cube. What is
the next integer with this property?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | It is never good to adapt the design to the software;
m...@vex.net | it should be the other way around. --J.A. Durieux

Dan Blum

Mar 25, 2019, 9:55:37 AM3/25/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Canadiana - Cuisine

> 3. A fried dough pastry, stretched and sometimes coiled. Served to
> President Obama when he visited Canada.

beaver tail

> 7. A dense bread product that contains malt, egg, and no salt,
> and is boiled in honey-sweetened water before being baked,
> traditionally in a wood-fired oven. Often finished with
> poppy seeds. Hint: its name refers to a city.

Montreal bagel

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Grey Cup

> A1. Which team won the Grey Cup every year from 1978 to 1982?

Ottawa Roughriders; Toronto Argonauts

> A2. The Toronto Argonauts have had the most wins since the Cup
> was established in 1909. How many, within 1?

25; 30

> * B. Oscars Refused

> B1. Because of the treatment of American Indians, this actor
> refused to collect his Oscar in 1973. Name this star *and*
> the movie he won for.

Marlon Brando for Last Tango in Paris

> B2. For which movie did George C. Scott refuse an Oscar?

Patton

> * C. First Prime Ministers

> C1. Who was Israel's first prime minister?

Ben-Gurion

> C2. While the title was not then official, who is now usually
> considered to have been the first prime minister of Great
> Britain?

Duke of Buckingham

> * D. Transit Systems

> D1. What North American city has a transit system called BART?

San Francisco

> D2. What European city has a transit system called DART?

Dublin

> * E. Space Probes

> E1. In January the New Horizons space probe visited the Kuiper
> Belt object Ultima Thule. Which other solar system body
> did it visit before that?

Pluto

> E2. The Japanese space agency JAXA currently has a probe visiting
> the asteroid Ryugu while NASA has one visiting the asteroid
> Bennu. What is the primary objective of both missions?

determine the asteroids' composition

> * F. Integers

> F1. What is the first positive integer spelled in English with
> all its letters in alphabetical order? For example, if we
> had said "in French" it would be 2 -- spelled "deux".

forty

> F2. 1 is both a perfect square and a perfect cube. What is
> the next integer with this property?

64

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Mar 25, 2019, 11:08:22 PM3/25/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:OcednYawUd2M6wXBnZ2dnUU7-
S_N...@giganews.com:

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Canadiana - Cuisine
>
> In each case, name the food described.
>
> 7. A dense bread product that contains malt, egg, and no salt,
> and is boiled in honey-sweetened water before being baked,
> traditionally in a wood-fired oven. Often finished with
> poppy seeds. Hint: its name refers to a city.

Montreal bagel

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Grey Cup
>
> A2. The Toronto Argonauts have had the most wins since the Cup
> was established in 1909. How many, within 1?

24; 27

> * B. Oscars Refused
>
> B1. Because of the treatment of American Indians, this actor
> refused to collect his Oscar in 1973. Name this star *and*
> the movie he won for.

Marlon Brando, "The Godfather"

> B2. For which movie did George C. Scott refuse an Oscar?

"Patton"

> * C. First Prime Ministers
>
> C1. Who was Israel's first prime minister?

David Ben-Gurion

> C2. While the title was not then official, who is now usually
> considered to have been the first prime minister of Great
> Britain?

Pitt

> * D. Transit Systems
>
> D1. What North American city has a transit system called BART?

San Francisco

> * F. Integers
>
> F1. What is the first positive integer spelled in English with
> all its letters in alphabetical order? For example, if we
> had said "in French" it would be 2 -- spelled "deux".

40

> F2. 1 is both a perfect square and a perfect cube. What is
> the next integer with this property?

64

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Erland Sommarskog

Mar 26, 2019, 6:49:41 AM3/26/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> C1. Who was Israel's first prime minister?

Ben Gurion

> C2. While the title was not then official, who is now usually
> considered to have been the first prime minister of Great
> Britain?

William Pitt Jr

> * F. Integers
>
> F1. What is the first positive integer spelled in English with
> all its letters in alphabetical order? For example, if we
> had said "in French" it would be 2 -- spelled "deux".

Eight

> F2. 1 is both a perfect square and a perfect cube. What is
> the next integer with this property?

64

Pete Gayde

Mar 26, 2019, 7:28:02 PM3/26/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:OcednYawUd2M6wXBnZ2dnUU7-
S_N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-03-04,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Cellar Rats and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Grey Cup
>
> A1. Which team won the Grey Cup every year from 1978 to 1982?

BC Lions; Calgary Stampeders

> A2. The Toronto Argonauts have had the most wins since the Cup
> was established in 1909. How many, within 1?

20; 23

> * B. Oscars Refused
>
> B1. Because of the treatment of American Indians, this actor
> refused to collect his Oscar in 1973. Name this star *and*
> the movie he won for.

Marlon Brando, The Godfather

> B2. For which movie did George C. Scott refuse an Oscar?

Day of the Dolphin

> * C. First Prime Ministers
>
> C1. Who was Israel's first prime minister?

David Ben Gurion

> C2. While the title was not then official, who is now usually
> considered to have been the first prime minister of Great
> Britain?

Oliver Cromwell

> * D. Transit Systems
>
> D1. What North American city has a transit system called BART?

San Francisco

> D2. What European city has a transit system called DART?

Copenhagen; Dortmund

> * E. Space Probes
>
> E1. In January the New Horizons space probe visited the Kuiper
> Belt object Ultima Thule. Which other solar system body
> did it visit before that?

Mars

> E2. The Japanese space agency JAXA currently has a probe visiting
> the asteroid Ryugu while NASA has one visiting the asteroid
> Bennu. What is the primary objective of both missions?

Gather rock samples

> * F. Integers
>
> F1. What is the first positive integer spelled in English with
> all its letters in alphabetical order? For example, if we
> had said "in French" it would be 2 -- spelled "deux".

40

> F2. 1 is both a perfect square and a perfect cube. What is
> the next integer with this property?

64

Pete Gayde

Calvin

Mar 26, 2019, 10:38:36 PM3/26/19
On Monday, March 25, 2019 at 4:32:55 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Canadiana - Cuisine

Poutine!

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Grey Cup
>
> A1. Which team won the Grey Cup every year from 1978 to 1982?

Roughriders, Rough Riders

> A2. The Toronto Argonauts have had the most wins since the Cup
> was established in 1909. How many, within 1?

19, 22

> * B. Oscars Refused
>
> B1. Because of the treatment of American Indians, this actor
> refused to collect his Oscar in 1973. Name this star *and*
> the movie he won for.

Marlon Brando for The Godfather

> B2. For which movie did George C. Scott refuse an Oscar?

Dr Strangelove?

> * C. First Prime Ministers
>
> C1. Who was Israel's first prime minister?

Ben Gurion

> C2. While the title was not then official, who is now usually
> considered to have been the first prime minister of Great
> Britain?

Walpole

> * D. Transit Systems
>
> D1. What North American city has a transit system called BART?

Springfield :-)

> D2. What European city has a transit system called DART?
>

> * E. Space Probes
>
> E1. In January the New Horizons space probe visited the Kuiper
> Belt object Ultima Thule. Which other solar system body
> did it visit before that?
>
> E2. The Japanese space agency JAXA currently has a probe visiting
> the asteroid Ryugu while NASA has one visiting the asteroid
> Bennu. What is the primary objective of both missions?
>

> * F. Integers
>
> F1. What is the first positive integer spelled in English with
> all its letters in alphabetical order? For example, if we
> had said "in French" it would be 2 -- spelled "deux".

Forty

> F2. 1 is both a perfect square and a perfect cube. What is
> the next integer with this property?

64

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Mar 27, 2019, 5:37:32 PM3/27/19
Marlon Brando, The Godfather

> B2. For which movie did George C. Scott refuse an Oscar?

Patton

> * C. First Prime Ministers
>
> C1. Who was Israel's first prime minister?
>
> C2. While the title was not then official, who is now usually
> considered to have been the first prime minister of Great
> Britain?

Penn

> * D. Transit Systems
>
> D1. What North American city has a transit system called BART?

San Francisco

> D2. What European city has a transit system called DART?

Dublin

> * E. Space Probes
>
> E1. In January the New Horizons space probe visited the Kuiper
> Belt object Ultima Thule. Which other solar system body
> did it visit before that?

Pluto

> E2. The Japanese space agency JAXA currently has a probe visiting
> the asteroid Ryugu while NASA has one visiting the asteroid
> Bennu. What is the primary objective of both missions?

sample return

> * F. Integers
>
> F1. What is the first positive integer spelled in English with
> all its letters in alphabetical order? For example, if we
> had said "in French" it would be 2 -- spelled "deux".

forty

> F2. 1 is both a perfect square and a perfect cube. What is
> the next integer with this property?

64

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Mar 28, 2019, 3:39:04 AM3/28/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-03-04,
> see my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 5 is over and it's a big win for JOSHUA KREITZER. Hearty
congratulations!

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Canadiana - Cuisine

> In each case, name the food described.

In the original game, this was the second-easiest round after the
current-events round.

> 1. A type of porridge made with a blend of wheat, rye, and flaxseed,
> first created in the 1920s in Manitoba.

Red River porridge.

> 2. A brand or type of semi-soft rind cheese that was originally
> manufactured by Trappist monks.

Oka cheese.

The monks of Oka were shown on the CTV National News a few days after
the original game. There are a lot fewer of them than there used
to be, so they have moved into a new, smaller building that they had
designed for them. Not wanting to depend on charity, they're still
in the food business, but not cheese any more; that line was sold off.

> 3. A fried dough pastry, stretched and sometimes coiled. Served to
> President Obama when he visited Canada.

Beaver tail. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 4. A no-bake dessert consisting of three layers: a wafer and
> chocolate crumb base, custard-flavored butter icing in the
> middle, and a layer of chocolate gamache on top.

Nanaimo bar.

> 5. Lean boneless pork loin, trimmed fine, wet cured, and rolled
> in cornmeal. It is not smoked. It is the main ingredient in
> the St. Lawrence Market's signature sandwich.

Peameal bacon, also known as Canadian bacon.

> 6. A dish popular in Quebec, made of layered ground beef, sautéed
> onions, canned kernel corn, canned creamed corn, and mashed
> potatoes on top. Answer in French.

Pâté chinois.

> 7. A dense bread product that contains malt, egg, and no salt,
> and is boiled in honey-sweetened water before being baked,
> traditionally in a wood-fired oven. Often finished with
> poppy seeds. Hint: its name refers to a city.

Montreal-style bagel. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 8. A type of chicken sandwich consisting of chicken, sliced bread,
> and gravy. It is usually served with green peas and commonly
> found in Québécois and Eastern Canadian cuisine. *Either*
> name the sandwich in English or French, or else name the Quebec
> restaurant chain that sells vast quantities of this item and
> is the 16th-largest chain in Canada.

Hot chicken sandwich, sandwich chaud au poulet, St-Hubert.

> 9. A pickled vegetable sauce or topping, popular in Quebec and
> Eastern Canada. Acadians brought the recipe to the American
> South. It is a combination of vegetables, mainly green and red
> tomatoes, onions, carrots, beans of various types, asparagus,
> cauliflower, and peas. We will accept the American name or
> the one used here.

Chow chow, chou chou, piccalilli, Branston pickle.

> 10. A Maritime dessert consisting of bread crumbs, raisins, brown
> sugar, molasses, butter, flour, and spices. These are mixed and
> put in a pudding bag, wrapped in cheesecloth, or stuffed into
> an empty can and then boiled, usually along with the cooking
> vegetables or the Jiggs dinner.

Figgy duff or figgy pudding.

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Grey Cup

> A1. Which team won the Grey Cup every year from 1978 to 1982?

Edmonton Eskimos.

> A2. The Toronto Argonauts have had the most wins since the Cup
> was established in 1909. How many, within 1?

17 (accepting 16-18). Since nobody was in range, I scored 15 or 19
as almost correct. Therefore, 2 for Calvin.

> * B. Oscars Refused

> B1. Because of the treatment of American Indians, this actor
> refused to collect his Oscar in 1973. Name this star *and*
> the movie he won for.

Marlon Brando, "The Godfather". 4 for Joshua, Pete, Calvin,
and Dan Tilque.

So this was the second question *in this game* about him winning
that award for that movie.

> B2. For which movie did George C. Scott refuse an Oscar?

"Patton" (1970). 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> * C. First Prime Ministers

> C1. Who was Israel's first prime minister?

David Ben-Gurion. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland, Pete, and Calvin.

> C2. While the title was not then official, who is now usually
> considered to have been the first prime minister of Great
> Britain?

Robert Walpole (1730-42). 4 for Calvin.

> * D. Transit Systems

> D1. What North American city has a transit system called BART?

San Francisco. (Bay Area Rapid Transit, so Oakland and various
other cities it serves were also acceptable.) 4 for Dan Blum,
Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> D2. What European city has a transit system called DART?

Dublin. (Yes, Dublin Area Rapid Transit.) 4 for Dan Blum
and Dan Tilque.

> * E. Space Probes

> E1. In January the New Horizons space probe visited the Kuiper
> Belt object Ultima Thule. Which other solar system body
> did it visit before that?

Pluto. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> E2. The Japanese space agency JAXA currently has a probe visiting
> the asteroid Ryugu while NASA has one visiting the asteroid
> Bennu. What is the primary objective of both missions?

To return with a sample of the asteroid. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> * F. Integers

> F1. What is the first positive integer spelled in English with
> all its letters in alphabetical order? For example, if we
> had said "in French" it would be 2 -- spelled "deux".

40. In fact it's the *only* integer with this property. 4 for
Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete, Calvin, and Dan Tilque.

> F2. 1 is both a perfect square and a perfect cube. What is
> the next integer with this property?

64, of course. The property is equivalent to being the sixth power
of an integer. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland, Pete,
Calvin, and Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> His Geo Spo Sci Ent Lit Can Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 23 35 32 20 40 27 4 24 181
"Calvin" 11 38 12 23 29 16 0 22 140
Dan Tilque 20 32 16 24 4 8 0 32 132
Pete Gayde 23 22 24 20 20 16 0 20 129
Dan Blum 12 20 0 28 15 24 8 28 127
Erland Sommarskog 8 28 -- -- -- -- 0 8 44
Bruce Bowler -- -- 0 24 8 8 -- -- 40

--
Mark Brader | "To judge by this film, the life of a cold war spy consists
Toronto | of sitting for endless hours in soundproof rooms with peo-