QFTCIWSS Game 3, Rounds 4,6: dogs, house brands

Mark Brader

Aug 15, 2018, 11:25:43 AM8/15/18
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-06-04,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 3, Round 4 - Science - Original Dog-Breed Names

Nowadays we might look at a dog and say "that's a soft-coated
wheaten terrier", but when the Irish bred it, they originally
called it the "an brocaire buí" ["uhn BRAW-kur bwee]". In each
case, give the name we know the breed by.

1. In addition to the soft-coated wheaten terrier, the Irish people
have bred seven other breeds of dog recognized by the American
Kennel Club, the oldest of which is the "cú faoil" ["koo feel"].
What do we know that one as?

2. This dog was initially bred in France, where it is known as the
"chien de St-Hubert". What do we call it?

3. The "xolo" ["CHO-low"] is the proper name for this dog, one of
which was recently featured in the Pixar film "Coco".

4. The Chinese refer to this breed as the "songshi quan" ["song-SHE
kwan"], which translates to "puffy lion dog".

5. In Dari Persian, this dog is called the "sag-e tazi" ["SADGE-eh
TAW-zee"]; in Pashto, it is the "tazi spay" ["TAH-zee SPAY"].

6. The Azande ["ah-ZAN-"day] people of South Sudan know this dog
as the "ango angari", which means "dog of the bush".

7. In Zimbabwe, the Shona call this dog shumba imbwa ["shoom-BAH
im-BWAH"], which means "lion dog", because they used it to keep
lions at bay.

8. These dogs were originally called "alpenmastiffs", until Swiss
and German breeders in the late 19th century realized they were
not actually related to mastiffs.

9. The Germans originally called these large dogs "Kammerhunde",
and dressed them in gilded collars -- when they weren't using
them to hunt boars or even bears.

10. This Japanese breed's name translates to "little brushwood dog".

* Game 3, Round 6 - Miscellaneous - House Brands

We name a house brand and you tell us the retailer (or any one
of the group of related retailers) that exclusively sells it.
Answers may repeat.

1. Blue Menu.
2. Life Brand.
3. Kirkland.
4. Mastercraft.
5. Black Brown.
6. Irresistibles.
7. Compliments.
8. Edit by Jeanne Beker.
9. Frank.
10. George.

--
Mark Brader | "I have on occasion manufactured technical terms that
Toronto | have made it into common use in the literature.

Dan Blum

Aug 15, 2018, 4:39:30 PM8/15/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Science - Original Dog-Breed Names

> 1. In addition to the soft-coated wheaten terrier, the Irish people
> have bred seven other breeds of dog recognized by the American
> Kennel Club, the oldest of which is the "c? faoil" ["koo feel"].
> What do we know that one as?

fox terrier

> 2. This dog was initially bred in France, where it is known as the
> "chien de St-Hubert". What do we call it?

poodle

> 3. The "xolo" ["CHO-low"] is the proper name for this dog, one of
> which was recently featured in the Pixar film "Coco".

chihuahua

> 4. The Chinese refer to this breed as the "songshi quan" ["song-SHE
> kwan"], which translates to "puffy lion dog".

chow chow

> 5. In Dari Persian, this dog is called the "sag-e tazi" ["SADGE-eh
> TAW-zee"]; in Pashto, it is the "tazi spay" ["TAH-zee SPAY"].

Afghan hound

> 6. The Azande ["ah-ZAN-"day] people of South Sudan know this dog
> as the "ango angari", which means "dog of the bush".

basenji

> 8. These dogs were originally called "alpenmastiffs", until Swiss
> and German breeders in the late 19th century realized they were
> not actually related to mastiffs.

St. Bernard

> 9. The Germans originally called these large dogs "Kammerhunde",
> and dressed them in gilded collars -- when they weren't using
> them to hunt boars or even bears.

Great Dane; Doberman pinscher

> 10. This Japanese breed's name translates to "little brushwood dog".

shiba inu

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Miscellaneous - House Brands

> 3. Kirkland.

Costco

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Aug 15, 2018, 11:42:38 PM8/15/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:kuadnQB3dbts2OnGnZ2dnUU7-
I_N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Science - Original Dog-Breed Names
>
> Nowadays we might look at a dog and say "that's a soft-coated
> wheaten terrier", but when the Irish bred it, they originally
> called it the "an brocaire buí" ["uhn BRAW-kur bwee]". In each
> case, give the name we know the breed by.
>
> 4. The Chinese refer to this breed as the "songshi quan" ["song-SHE
> kwan"], which translates to "puffy lion dog".

shar-pei

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Miscellaneous - House Brands
>
> We name a house brand and you tell us the retailer (or any one
> of the group of related retailers) that exclusively sells it.
> Answers may repeat.
>
> 3. Kirkland.

Costco

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Pete Gayde

Aug 16, 2018, 3:48:08 PM8/16/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:kuadnQB3dbts2OnGnZ2dnUU7-
I_N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-06-04,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Science - Original Dog-Breed Names
>
> Nowadays we might look at a dog and say "that's a soft-coated
> wheaten terrier", but when the Irish bred it, they originally
> called it the "an brocaire buí" ["uhn BRAW-kur bwee]". In each
> case, give the name we know the breed by.
>
> 1. In addition to the soft-coated wheaten terrier, the Irish people
> have bred seven other breeds of dog recognized by the American
> Kennel Club, the oldest of which is the "cú faoil" ["koo feel"].
> What do we know that one as?

Irish setter; Irish wolfhound

> 2. This dog was initially bred in France, where it is known as the
> "chien de St-Hubert". What do we call it?

Poodle

> 3. The "xolo" ["CHO-low"] is the proper name for this dog, one of
> which was recently featured in the Pixar film "Coco".

Chihuahua

> 4. The Chinese refer to this breed as the "songshi quan" ["song-SHE
> kwan"], which translates to "puffy lion dog".

Shih-tzu

> 5. In Dari Persian, this dog is called the "sag-e tazi" ["SADGE-eh
> TAW-zee"]; in Pashto, it is the "tazi spay" ["TAH-zee SPAY"].
>
> 6. The Azande ["ah-ZAN-"day] people of South Sudan know this dog
> as the "ango angari", which means "dog of the bush".

Hyena

> 7. In Zimbabwe, the Shona call this dog shumba imbwa ["shoom-BAH
> im-BWAH"], which means "lion dog", because they used it to keep
> lions at bay.
>
> 8. These dogs were originally called "alpenmastiffs", until Swiss
> and German breeders in the late 19th century realized they were
> not actually related to mastiffs.

St Bernard

> 9. The Germans originally called these large dogs "Kammerhunde",
> and dressed them in gilded collars -- when they weren't using
> them to hunt boars or even bears.

German shepherd

> 10. This Japanese breed's name translates to "little brushwood dog".

Shih-tzu

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Miscellaneous - House Brands
>
> We name a house brand and you tell us the retailer (or any one
> of the group of related retailers) that exclusively sells it.
> Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. Blue Menu.
> 2. Life Brand.
> 3. Kirkland.

Costco

> 4. Mastercraft.
> 5. Black Brown.
> 6. Irresistibles.
> 7. Compliments.
> 8. Edit by Jeanne Beker.
> 9. Frank.
> 10. George.

Pete Gayde

Dan Tilque

Aug 16, 2018, 10:01:23 PM8/16/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Science - Original Dog-Breed Names
>
> Nowadays we might look at a dog and say "that's a soft-coated
> wheaten terrier", but when the Irish bred it, they originally
> called it the "an brocaire buí" ["uhn BRAW-kur bwee]". In each
> case, give the name we know the breed by.
>
> 1. In addition to the soft-coated wheaten terrier, the Irish people
> have bred seven other breeds of dog recognized by the American
> Kennel Club, the oldest of which is the "cú faoil" ["koo feel"].
> What do we know that one as?

Irish wolfhound

> 2. This dog was initially bred in France, where it is known as the
> "chien de St-Hubert". What do we call it?

St Bernard

> 3. The "xolo" ["CHO-low"] is the proper name for this dog, one of
> which was recently featured in the Pixar film "Coco".
>
> 4. The Chinese refer to this breed as the "songshi quan" ["song-SHE
> kwan"], which translates to "puffy lion dog".

shih tsu

> 5. In Dari Persian, this dog is called the "sag-e tazi" ["SADGE-eh
> TAW-zee"]; in Pashto, it is the "tazi spay" ["TAH-zee SPAY"].
>
> 6. The Azande ["ah-ZAN-"day] people of South Sudan know this dog
> as the "ango angari", which means "dog of the bush".

basenji

> 7. In Zimbabwe, the Shona call this dog shumba imbwa ["shoom-BAH
> im-BWAH"], which means "lion dog", because they used it to keep
> lions at bay.
>
> 8. These dogs were originally called "alpenmastiffs", until Swiss
> and German breeders in the late 19th century realized they were
> not actually related to mastiffs.

German shepard

--
Dan Tilque

swp

Aug 16, 2018, 11:04:00 PM8/16/18
On Wednesday, August 15, 2018 at 11:25:43 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-06-04,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

noted

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Science - Original Dog-Breed Names
>
> 1. In addition to the soft-coated wheaten terrier, the Irish people
> have bred seven other breeds of dog recognized by the American
> Kennel Club, the oldest of which is the "cú faoil" ["koo feel"].
> What do we know that one as?

irish wolfhound

> 2. This dog was initially bred in France, where it is known as the
> "chien de St-Hubert". What do we call it?

bloodhound

> 3. The "xolo" ["CHO-low"] is the proper name for this dog, one of
> which was recently featured in the Pixar film "Coco".

mexican hairless

> 4. The Chinese refer to this breed as the "songshi quan" ["song-SHE
> kwan"], which translates to "puffy lion dog".

chow chow (not to be confused with cao cao)

> 5. In Dari Persian, this dog is called the "sag-e tazi" ["SADGE-eh
> TAW-zee"]; in Pashto, it is the "tazi spay" ["TAH-zee SPAY"].

afghan hound

> 6. The Azande ["ah-ZAN-"day] people of South Sudan know this dog
> as the "ango angari", which means "dog of the bush".

basenji ?

> 7. In Zimbabwe, the Shona call this dog shumba imbwa ["shoom-BAH
> im-BWAH"], which means "lion dog", because they used it to keep
> lions at bay.

rhodesian ridgeback

> 8. These dogs were originally called "alpenmastiffs", until Swiss
> and German breeders in the late 19th century realized they were
> not actually related to mastiffs.

saint bernard?

> 9. The Germans originally called these large dogs "Kammerhunde",
> and dressed them in gilded collars -- when they weren't using
> them to hunt boars or even bears.

great dane

> 10. This Japanese breed's name translates to "little brushwood dog".

shiba inu

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Miscellaneous - House Brands
>
> We name a house brand and you tell us the retailer (or any one
> of the group of related retailers) that exclusively sells it.
> Answers may repeat.

well, this is tricky. I am certain that most of my answers are correct, but not always that they are what you were originally looking for.

> 1. Blue Menu.

president's choice?

> 2. Life Brand.

shoppers drug mart

> 3. Kirkland.

costco

> 4. Mastercraft.

mastercraft makes luxury high performance boats but you're looking for something else

> 5. Black Brown.

lord and taylor

> 6. Irresistibles.

meow mix ; neuhaus belgian chocolate

> 7. Compliments.

sobey

> 8. Edit by Jeanne Beker.

hudson's bay

> 9. Frank.

glasses barn

> 10. George.

asda stores ltd

swp

one day, and this day may never come, I will appear before you. If that day comes, I will ask you to complete a task on my behalf. you may not refuse. these are the terms of my agreement to assist you now. a great many others have come before you, and all are now indebted to me in this way. the choice is yours.

Mark Brader

Aug 18, 2018, 11:38:09 AM8/18/18
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-06-04,
> see my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Science - Original Dog-Breed Names

> Nowadays we might look at a dog and say "that's a soft-coated
> wheaten terrier", but when the Irish bred it, they originally
> called it the "an brocaire buí" ["uhn BRAW-kur bwee]". In each
> case, give the name we know the breed by.

> 1. In addition to the soft-coated wheaten terrier, the Irish people
> have bred seven other breeds of dog recognized by the American
> Kennel Club, the oldest of which is the "cú faoil" ["koo feel"].
> What do we know that one as?

Irish wolfhound. 4 for Dan Tilque and Stephen. 2 for Pete.

> 2. This dog was initially bred in France, where it is known as the
> "chien de St-Hubert". What do we call it?

Bloodhound. 4 for Stephen.

> 3. The "xolo" ["CHO-low"] is the proper name for this dog, one of
> which was recently featured in the Pixar film "Coco".

Mexican hairless dog. 4 for Stephen.

> 4. The Chinese refer to this breed as the "songshi quan" ["song-SHE
> kwan"], which translates to "puffy lion dog".

Chow chow (one "chow" was sufficient). 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> 5. In Dari Persian, this dog is called the "sag-e tazi" ["SADGE-eh
> TAW-zee"]; in Pashto, it is the "tazi spay" ["TAH-zee SPAY"].

Afghan hound. 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> 6. The Azande ["ah-ZAN-"day] people of South Sudan know this dog
> as the "ango angari", which means "dog of the bush".

Basenji. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> 7. In Zimbabwe, the Shona call this dog shumba imbwa ["shoom-BAH
> im-BWAH"], which means "lion dog", because they used it to keep
> lions at bay.

Rhodesian ridgeback. 4 for Stephen.

> 8. These dogs were originally called "alpenmastiffs", until Swiss
> and German breeders in the late 19th century realized they were
> not actually related to mastiffs.

St. Bernard. 4 for Dan Blum, Pete, and Stephen.

> 9. The Germans originally called these large dogs "Kammerhunde",
> and dressed them in gilded collars -- when they weren't using
> them to hunt boars or even bears.

Great Dane. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 10. This Japanese breed's name translates to "little brushwood dog".

Shiba inu ("shiba" was sufficient). 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Miscellaneous - House Brands

> We name a house brand and you tell us the retailer (or any one
> of the group of related retailers) that exclusively sells it.
> Answers may repeat.

This was the easiest round in the original game.

> 1. Blue Menu.

Loblaws, No Frills. Also accepting President's Choice, which used
to be a house brand name itself, not a retailer. 4 for Stephen.

> 2. Life Brand.

Shoppers Drug Mart. 4 for Stephen.

> 3. Kirkland.

Costco. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete, and Stephen.

> 4. Mastercraft.

Canadian Tire.

> 5. Black Brown.

Hudson's Bay. Also accepting Lord and Taylor. 4 for Stephen.

> 6. Irresistibles.

Metro, Food Basics.

> 7. Compliments.

Sobeys, FreshCo, Price Chopper. 4 for Stephen.

> 8. Edit by Jeanne Beker.

Hudson's Bay. 4 for Stephen.

> 9. Frank.

Canadian Tire. Also accepting Glasses Barn. 4 for Stephen.

> 10. George.

Wal-Mart. Also accepting Asda. 4 for Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Geo Ent Sci Mis
Stephen Perry -- -- 40 32 72
Dan Blum 12 24 23 4 63
Joshua Kreitzer 20 36 0 4 60
"Calvin" 24 20 -- -- 44
Pete Gayde 0 8 6 4 18
Erland Sommarskog 16 0 -- -- 16
Dan Tilque 0 8 8 0 16

--
Mark Brader "Nicely self-consistent. (Pay no attention to
Toronto that D-floating number behind the curtain!)"