Calvin's Quiz #395

Calvin

Jun 1, 2015, 4:19:41 AM6/1/15

1 Which two countries in South America begin with the letter B?
2 In which English city is the oriental-style Royal Pavilion, built as a seaside retreat for King George IV, when we has Prince of Wales?
3 Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall presents which British TV series?
4 Sapporo is the fourth largest city in which country?
5 Of which ballet is Prince Siegfried the hero?
6 Who wrote the 1852 novel Uncle Tom's Cabin?
7 Hiver is the French word for which season?
8 Which beer company previously sponsored the annual rugby union competition between the leading European clubs?
9 What links Hawaii, Mexico, Poland and the South Pacific?
10 In which 2001 book by Yann Martel, and also a 2012 film, does the protagonist find himself in a lifeboat with a zebra, a hyena, an orang-utan and a tiger?

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 1, 2015, 5:16:08 AM6/1/15
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 Which two countries in South America begin with the letter B?

Bolivia and Brazil

> 2 In which English city is the oriental-style Royal Pavilion, built
> as a seaside retreat for King George IV, when we has Prince of Wales?

Bath

> 4 Sapporo is the fourth largest city in which country?

Japan

> 5 Of which ballet is Prince Siegfried the hero?

Swan Lake

> 6 Who wrote the 1852 novel Uncle Tom's Cabin?

Dickens

> 7 Hiver is the French word for which season?

Winter

> 8 Which beer company previously sponsored the annual rugby union
> competition between the leading European clubs?

Stella

> 9 What links Hawaii, Mexico, Poland and the South Pacific?

Poland sure looks odd in that company...

> 10 In which 2001 book by Yann Martel, and also a 2012 film, does the
> protagonist find himself in a lifeboat with a zebra, a hyena, an
> orang-utan and a tiger?

The Tale of Pi

Dan Tilque

Jun 1, 2015, 6:22:02 AM6/1/15
Calvin wrote:
> 1 Which two countries in South America begin with the letter B?

Brazil and Bolivia

> 2 In which English city is the oriental-style Royal Pavilion, built as a seaside retreat for King George IV, when we has Prince of Wales?

interesting spoonerism there (we has)

> 3 Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall presents which British TV series?
> 4 Sapporo is the fourth largest city in which country?

Japan

> 5 Of which ballet is Prince Siegfried the hero?

Der Ring des Nibelungen

> 6 Who wrote the 1852 novel Uncle Tom's Cabin?

Harriet Beecher Stowe

> 7 Hiver is the French word for which season?

winter

> 8 Which beer company previously sponsored the annual rugby union competition between the leading European clubs?
> 9 What links Hawaii, Mexico, Poland and the South Pacific?

James Michener (titles to his books)

--
Dan Tilque

Björn Lundin

Jun 1, 2015, 7:47:44 AM6/1/15
On 2015-06-01 10:19, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which two countries in South America begin with the letter B?
Bolivia and Brazil
> 2 In which English city is the oriental-style Royal Pavilion, built as a seaside retreat for King George IV, when we has Prince of Wales?
Baath ?
> 3 Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall presents which British TV series?
> 4 Sapporo is the fourth largest city in which country?
Japan
> 5 Of which ballet is Prince Siegfried the hero?
Swan lake (and the is the only ballet I know)
> 6 Who wrote the 1852 novel Uncle Tom's Cabin?
> 7 Hiver is the French word for which season?
Autumn
> 8 Which beer company previously sponsored the annual rugby union competition between the leading European clubs?
Heineken?
> 9 What links Hawaii, Mexico, Poland and the South Pacific?
I've never been at either of the places ?

> 10 In which 2001 book by Yann Martel, and also a 2012 film, does the protagonist find himself in a lifeboat with a zebra, a hyena, an orang-utan and a tiger?
>

> cheers,
> calvin

Björn

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 1, 2015, 7:56:20 AM6/1/15
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 4 Sapporo is the fourth largest city in which country?

That just did not seem quite right, and according to www.citypopulation.de
Sapporo is the fifth largest city in Japan. Nagoya is #4.

David B

Jun 1, 2015, 8:12:32 AM6/1/15
1 Which two countries in South America begin with the letter B?

Brazil & Bolivia.

2 In which English city is the oriental-style Royal Pavilion, built as a
seaside retreat for King George IV, when we has Prince of Wales?

Brighton.

3 Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall presents which British TV series?

A Cook on the Wild Side. (amongst others - TV dinners and the River Cottage
serii)

4 Sapporo is the fourth largest city in which country?

Japan.

5 Of which ballet is Prince Siegfried the hero?
6 Who wrote the 1852 novel Uncle Tom's Cabin?
7 Hiver is the French word for which season?

Winter.

8 Which beer company previously sponsored the annual rugby union competition
between the leading European clubs?

Heineken.

9 What links Hawaii, Mexico, Poland and the South Pacific?

They are all books.

10 In which 2001 book by Yann Martel, and also a 2012 film, does the
protagonist find himself in a lifeboat with a zebra, a hyena, an orang-utan
and a tiger?

The Life of Pi.

--
David B
http://mr2roc.org/

swp

Jun 1, 2015, 9:48:13 AM6/1/15
On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 4:19:41 AM UTC-4, Calvin wrote:
> 1 Which two countries in South America begin with the letter B?

brazil, bolivia

> 2 In which English city is the oriental-style Royal Pavilion, built as a seaside retreat for King George IV, when we has Prince of Wales?

bath

> 3 Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall presents which British TV series?

> 4 Sapporo is the fourth largest city in which country?

japan (it's how you say 'beer' at any hibachi steakhouse in the u.s.)

> 5 Of which ballet is Prince Siegfried the hero?

swan lake

> 6 Who wrote the 1852 novel Uncle Tom's Cabin?

harriette beacher stowe

> 7 Hiver is the French word for which season?

autumn

> 8 Which beer company previously sponsored the annual rugby union competition between the leading European clubs?

heineken

> 9 What links Hawaii, Mexico, Poland and the South Pacific?

james michener

> 10 In which 2001 book by Yann Martel, and also a 2012 film, does the protagonist find himself in a lifeboat with a zebra, a hyena, an orang-utan and a tiger?

life of pi

swp, who is still going through that other special project for Calvin

David B

Jun 1, 2015, 10:58:53 AM6/1/15
> 2 In which English city is the oriental-style Royal Pavilion, built as a
> seaside retreat for King George IV, when we has Prince of Wales?

Obviously UK geography is anybody here's strong point!
'seaside' being a clue as to this not being Bath.

Björn Lundin

Jun 1, 2015, 11:05:38 AM6/1/15
On 2015-06-01 16:58, David B wrote:
>> 2 In which English city is the oriental-style Royal Pavilion, built as
>> a seaside retreat for King George IV, when we has Prince of Wales?
>
> Obviously UK geography is anybody here's strong point! 'seaside' being a
> clue as to this not being Bath.

It is definitely not my strong area.
Bath - as I now see it is spelled - was the first
thing that came to my mind. Old, Roman baths, and perhaps suitable for a
king.

But I am surprised that I'm not alone with that guess.
And seaside did not help. I though Bath was by the see...

--
Björn

Marc Dashevsky

Jun 1, 2015, 11:20:07 AM6/1/15
In article <9805386f-b5ac-4acf...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 Which two countries in South America begin with the letter B?
Bolivia, Brazil

> 2 In which English city is the oriental-style Royal Pavilion, built as a seaside retreat for King George IV, when we has Prince of Wales?
Dover

> 3 Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall presents which British TV series?
> 4 Sapporo is the fourth largest city in which country?
Japan

> 5 Of which ballet is Prince Siegfried the hero?
> 6 Who wrote the 1852 novel Uncle Tom's Cabin?
Harriet Beecher Stowe

> 7 Hiver is the French word for which season?
winter

> 8 Which beer company previously sponsored the annual rugby union competition between the leading European clubs?
> 9 What links Hawaii, Mexico, Poland and the South Pacific?
James Michener

> 10 In which 2001 book by Yann Martel, and also a 2012 film, does the protagonist find himself in a lifeboat with a zebra, a hyena, an orang-utan and a tiger?
Life of Pi

swp

Jun 1, 2015, 11:25:31 AM6/1/15
it was a total wag based on a lack of time to actually think about it due to a job interview. at least the interview went well, so that's something.

swp

Pete

Jun 1, 2015, 2:12:15 PM6/1/15
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Which two countries in South America begin with the letter B?

Bolivia and Brazil

> 2 In which English city is the oriental-style Royal Pavilion,
> built as a seaside retreat for King George IV, when we has Prince of
> Wales?

Bristol

> 3 Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall presents which British TV series?

Antiques Roadshow

> 4 Sapporo is the fourth largest city in which country?

Japan

> 5 Of which ballet is Prince Siegfried the hero?

Sleeping Beauty

> 6 Who wrote the 1852 novel Uncle Tom's Cabin?

Stowe

> 7 Hiver is the French word for which season?

Winter

> 8 Which beer company previously sponsored the annual rugby union
> competition between the leading European clubs?

Heineken

> 9 What links Hawaii, Mexico, Poland and the South Pacific?

James Michener

> 10 In which 2001
> book by Yann Martel, and also a 2012 film, does the protagonist find
> himself in a lifeboat with a zebra, a hyena, an orang-utan and a
> tiger?

Life of Pi

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete

Mark Brader

Jun 1, 2015, 2:22:22 PM6/1/15
"Calvin":
> 1 Which two countries in South America begin with the letter B?

Bolivia and (took me a good half-minute to think of it!!) Brazil.

> 2 In which English city is the oriental-style Royal Pavilion, built as a
> seaside retreat for King George IV, when we has Prince of Wales?

Brighton.

> 3 Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall presents which British TV series?

Bi Have No Idea.

> 4 Sapporo is the fourth largest city in which country?

BJapan.

> 5 Of which ballet is Prince Siegfried the hero?

BParsifal?

> 6 Who wrote the 1852 novel Uncle Tom's Cabin?

Beecher Stowe, Harriet.

> 7 Hiver is the French word for which season?

Bwinter.

> 8 Which beer company previously sponsored the annual rugby union
> competition between the leading European clubs?

BHeineken?

> 9 What links Hawaii, Mexico, Poland and the South Pacific?

Blet's see. "Hawaii" is the title of a novel, "South Pacific" is the
title of a play, and "Mexico" and "Poland" aren't. There.

> 10 In which 2001 book by Yann Martel, and also a 2012 film, does the
> protagonist find himself in a lifeboat with a zebra, a hyena, an
> orang-utan and a tiger?

Blife of Pi.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Canada... likes to sit up there looking harmless,
m...@vex.net | like the USA's hat... --Anthony McCarron

Mark Brader

Jun 1, 2015, 2:28:12 PM6/1/15
"Calvin":
> > 4 Sapporo is the fourth largest city in which country?

Erland Sommarskog:
> That just did not seem quite right, and according to www.citypopulation.de
> Sapporo is the fifth largest city in Japan. Nagoya is #4.

If you go by city proper, yes. "City" is often used to mean a metropolitan
area (or "agglomeration" as that web site calls it), and on that basis
Yokohama is subsumed under Tokyo. But according to the site, Fukuoka is
the #4 "agglomeration" in Japan, and Sapporo is still #5.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Mark is, as usual, correct."
m...@vex.net --John Lawler

Peter Smyth

Jun 1, 2015, 2:30:44 PM6/1/15
Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which two countries in South America begin with the letter B?
Bolivia, Brazil
> 2 In which English city is the oriental-style Royal Pavilion, built
> as a seaside retreat for King George IV, when we has Prince of Wales?
Brighton
> 3 Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall presents which British TV series?
River Cottage
> 4 Sapporo is the fourth largest city in which country?
Japan
> 5 Of which ballet is Prince Siegfried the hero?
>
> 6 Who wrote the 1852 novel Uncle Tom's Cabin?
Harriet Beecher Stowe
> 7 Hiver is the French word for which season?
Autumn
> 8 Which beer company previously sponsored the annual rugby union
> competition between the leading European clubs?
Heineken
> 9 What links Hawaii, Mexico, Poland and the South Pacific?
>
> 10 In which 2001 book by Yann Martel, and also a 2012 film, does the
> protagonist find himself in a lifeboat with a zebra, a hyena, an
> orang-utan and a tiger?
Life of Pi

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 1, 2015, 2:53:49 PM6/1/15
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> If you go by city proper, yes. "City" is often used to mean a
> metropolitan area (or "agglomeration" as that web site calls it), and on
> that basis Yokohama is subsumed under Tokyo. But according to the site,
> Fukuoka is the #4 "agglomeration" in Japan, and Sapporo is still #5.

There ain't much to agglomerate with upon barren Hokkaido. :-)

Chris F.A. Johnson

Jun 1, 2015, 5:08:03 PM6/1/15
On 2015-06-01, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which two countries in South America begin with the letter B?

Brazil, Bolivia

> 2 In which English city is the oriental-style Royal Pavilion, built as a seaside retreat for King George IV, when we has Prince of Wales?

Brighton

> 3 Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall presents which British TV series?
> 4 Sapporo is the fourth largest city in which country?

Japan

> 5 Of which ballet is Prince Siegfried the hero?

Swan Lake

> 6 Who wrote the 1852 novel Uncle Tom's Cabin?

Harriet Beecher Stowe

> 7 Hiver is the French word for which season?

Winter

> 8 Which beer company previously sponsored the annual rugby union competition between the leading European clubs?

Guinness

> 9 What links Hawaii, Mexico, Poland and the South Pacific?
> 10 In which 2001 book by Yann Martel, and also a 2012 film, does the protagonist find himself in a lifeboat with a zebra, a hyena, an orang-utan and a tiger?

Life of Pi

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Calvin

Jun 8, 2015, 4:21:36 AM6/8/15
On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 6:19:41 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which two countries in South America begin with the letter B?

Bolivia and Brazil

> 2 In which English city is the oriental-style Royal Pavilion, built as a seaside retreat for King George IV, when we has Prince of Wales?

Brighton
And that should be "he was" :-)]

> 3 Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall presents which British TV series?

River Cottage, among others

> 4 Sapporo is the fourth largest city in which country?

Tokyo
It is fifth according to Erland's source, though the question was written some time ago so things may have changed.

> 5 Of which ballet is Prince Siegfried the hero?

Swan Lake

> 6 Who wrote the 1852 novel Uncle Tom's Cabin?

Harriet Beecher Stowe

> 7 Hiver is the French word for which season?

Winter

> 8 Which beer company previously sponsored the annual rugby union competition between the leading European clubs?

Heineken

> 9 What links Hawaii, Mexico, Poland and the South Pacific?

Novels by James Michener

> 10 In which 2001 book by Yann Martel, and also a 2012 film, does the protagonist find himself in a lifeboat with a zebra, a hyena, an orang-utan and a tiger?

Life of Pi

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 395
1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 63 Stephen Perry
1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 8 57 Peter Smyth
1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 7 50 David Brown
1 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 7 53 Chris Johnson
1 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 7 54 Pete Gayde
1 1 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 7 55 Mark Brader
1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 6 48 Marc Dashevsky
1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 5 40 Dan Tilque
1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 5 41 Erland S
1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 4 30 Bjorn Lundin
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
10 5 2 10 4 7 9 6 4 8 65 65%

Congratulations to Stephen for the win, and to Mark for finding the theme that didn't exist.

cheers,
calvin

David B

Jun 8, 2015, 4:58:12 AM6/8/15
> > 9 What links Hawaii, Mexico, Poland and the South Pacific?
>
> Novels by James Michener

How foolish I now look!

Calvin

Jun 8, 2015, 5:34:52 AM6/8/15
On Monday, June 8, 2015 at 6:58:12 PM UTC+10, David B wrote:
> > > 9 What links Hawaii, Mexico, Poland and the South Pacific?
> >
> > Novels by James Michener
> >

> How foolish I now look!

cf Mark's answer :-)

calvin

David B

Jun 8, 2015, 7:08:01 AM6/8/15
"Calvin" <334...@gmail.com> wrote in message
I didn't see any requirement to be specific. Are there all not books?

swp

Jun 8, 2015, 12:19:03 PM6/8/15
On Monday, June 8, 2015 at 4:21:36 AM UTC-4, Calvin wrote:
> On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 6:19:41 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:
> > 4 Sapporo is the fourth largest city in which country?
>
> Tokyo
> It is fifth according to Erland's source, though the question was written some time ago so things may have changed.

um, since when is tokyo a country?

swp

Calvin

Jun 9, 2015, 1:03:12 AM6/9/15
Answers must be both accurate and specific. Almost everything is a book title.

cheers,
calvin

Calvin

Jun 9, 2015, 1:03:43 AM6/9/15
That's a typo :-)

cheers,
calvin

David B

Jun 9, 2015, 4:37:46 AM6/9/15
> Answers must be both accurate and specific. Almost everything is a book
> title.

I was just trying my luck :o)

Calvin

Jun 9, 2015, 7:31:28 PM6/9/15
Well, 5 typos to be precise :-)

cheers,
calvin

Calvin

Jun 9, 2015, 7:31:48 PM6/9/15
On Tuesday, June 9, 2015 at 6:37:46 PM UTC+10, David B wrote:
> > Answers must be both accurate and specific. Almost everything is a book
> > title.
>
> I was just trying my luck :o)

Worth a shot :-)

cheers,