QFTCIWSS Game 9, Rounds 4-6: L&O..., the Queen, 5th cities

Mark Brader

Nov 15, 2018, 12:21:39 AM11/15/18
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-07-23,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 4 days.

All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 9, Round 4 - Entertainment - "Law & Order"

Can you actually remember a time when you could not see either
"Law & Order" or one of its five spinoff series subtitled "Special
Victims Unit", "Criminal Intent", "Trial by Jury", "LA", and "UK"?

1. The original "Law & Order" series ran from 1990 to 2010,
tying it with "Gunsmoke" as the longest-running prime-time
dramatic show (by number of seasons) in US television history.
Its creator and executive producer began his television career
writing for "Hill Street Blues" and "Miami Vice". He went on
to create and produce the five spinoffs. Who is he?

2. He played Executive ADA (Assistant District Attorney) Jack McCoy
from 1994 to 2010. Most recently he has been seen on TV as the
pitchman for TD Ameritrade, and as Lily Tomlin's ex-husband on
"Grace and Frankie". Name this accomplished actor.

3. Which versatile actor and longtime Broadway star, who created
roles in "The Fantasticks" and "Chicago", and played Lumière
in Disney's "Beauty and the Beast", played Detective Lennie
Briscoe for 12 years, from 1992 to 2004?

4. This Canadian actress played ADA Claire Kincaid from 1993
until her character's death in a car accident in 1996. She is
now starring in a new CBC comedy, "Crawford". Name her.

5. The heart of "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" (or "SVU") is
Detective Benson, who, over 19 seasons, has risen from sergeant
to lieutenant and is now the commanding officer. The character
is played by the offspring of former Hollywood sex symbol
Jayne Mansfield. Who is that?

6. It may be hard to believe that the actor who played sardonic
conspiracy theorist Detective John Munch on "SVU" is also a
well-known stand-up comic and author. He played Munch from
1993 to 2016, originally on "Homicide: Life on the Street"
before the character moved to "SVU". (He's also played Munch
on occasional episodes of other series, including once on
"The X-Files".) Name him.

7. Name the imposing actor, also known for his roles in "Full
Metal Jacket" and Netflix's "Daredevil", who played Detective
Bobby Goren on "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" from 2001 to 2011.

8. This well-known actress/singer gained fame as Frasier's
acid-tongued wife Lilith on "Cheers" and "Frasier". On "Law &
Order: Trial by Jury" she played Executive ADA Tracey Kibre.
Name her.

9. This actor may be best known for his roles in the movies
"Hustle & Flow", "Crash", and "Iron Man", and the TV series
Empire. He played Deputy DA Joe Dekker on the short-lived
"Law & Order: LA". Who is he?

10. Fans of his character Lee "Apollo" Adama in the "Battlestar
Galactica" reboot may have tuned in to "Law & Order: UK" (which
also aired in Canada) to watch this actor in action, who played
Detective Sergeant Matt Devlin for its first 5 seasons. Who?

* Game 9, Round 5 - Audio - Ladies and Gentlemen, The Queen

Yet again it's an audio round without the audio.

Many actors have portrayed a queen in film or television, and in its
original form, this round featured clips from their performances.
On some questions you were given the name of the queen and asked
who was player her, and other questions went the other way.

I'd like to reproduce the clips in the form of transcriptions,
but I don't have the necessary data, so I'll just give you the
movie titles and dates instead, and I've reversed some questions
where the title would give away the answer. In each case name the
queen (give her name and number, where applicable) or the person
playing her, as indicated.

*Answers may repeat.*

1. Who played Queen Victoria in "Victoria and Abdul" (2017)?

2. Please complete the previous question before decoding the rot13.
Juvpu dhrra qvq Whqv Qrapu cbegenl 19 lrnef rneyvre, va
"Funxrfcrner va Ybir"?

3. Who plays Queen Elizabeth II in the TV series "The Crown"
(2016-)?

4. Who played Queen Elizabeth II in "The Queen" (2006)?

5. Who played the title character in "Marie Antoinette" (also 2006)?

6. Who played the Queen Elizabeth later known as the Queen Mother,
in "The King's Speech" (2010)?

7. Who played Queen Elizabeth I in "Elizabeth: The Golden Age"
(2007)?

8. Who played Queen Olympias of Macedonia in "Alexander" (2004)?

9. Miranda Richardson played which queen in the TV series
"Black-Adder II" (1986)?

10. Which gay man played Queen Elizabeth II in a number of
episodes of "The Kids in the Hall" (1988-94)?

* Game 9, Round 6 - Geography - 5th-Biggest Cities

Most countries have at least five cities in them. In this round,
questions #1-6 will give you a city whose *metropolitan area* is the
5th-largest in its country by population, and you'll respond with
the country that city is in. For example, if we said "Edmonton",
you would say "Canada."

1. Pozna.
2. Västerås ["VES-ter-ohss"].
3. Fortaleza.
4. Ahmedabad.
5. Shiraz.
6. Bilbao.

For questions #7-10, we'll name the country and its four
largest cities, and you tell us what city ranks 5th -- again,
by metropolitan area population.

7. United States: New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston.
8. Australia: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth.
9. France: Paris, Marseille, Lyon, Toulouse.
10. United Kingdom: London, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow.

--
Mark Brader | "...people continue to wish that C were something it is not,
Toronto | not realizing that if C were what they thought they wanted
| be using it in the first place." -- Steve Summit

Dan Blum

Nov 15, 2018, 9:49:13 AM11/15/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Entertainment - "Law & Order"

> 2. He played Executive ADA (Assistant District Attorney) Jack McCoy
> from 1994 to 2010. Most recently he has been seen on TV as the
> pitchman for TD Ameritrade, and as Lily Tomlin's ex-husband on
> "Grace and Frankie". Name this accomplished actor.

Sam Waterston

> 3. Which versatile actor and longtime Broadway star, who created
> roles in "The Fantasticks" and "Chicago", and played Lumi?re
> in Disney's "Beauty and the Beast", played Detective Lennie
> Briscoe for 12 years, from 1992 to 2004?

Jerry Orbach

> 6. It may be hard to believe that the actor who played sardonic
> conspiracy theorist Detective John Munch on "SVU" is also a
> well-known stand-up comic and author. He played Munch from
> 1993 to 2016, originally on "Homicide: Life on the Street"
> before the character moved to "SVU". (He's also played Munch
> on occasional episodes of other series, including once on
> "The X-Files".) Name him.

Richard Belzer

> 7. Name the imposing actor, also known for his roles in "Full
> Metal Jacket" and Netflix's "Daredevil", who played Detective
> Bobby Goren on "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" from 2001 to 2011.

Vince Vaughn

> 8. This well-known actress/singer gained fame as Frasier's
> acid-tongued wife Lilith on "Cheers" and "Frasier". On "Law &
> Order: Trial by Jury" she played Executive ADA Tracey Kibre.
> Name her.

Bebe Neuwirth

> 9. This actor may be best known for his roles in the movies
> "Hustle & Flow", "Crash", and "Iron Man", and the TV series
> Empire. He played Deputy DA Joe Dekker on the short-lived
> "Law & Order: LA". Who is he?

Terence Howard

> * Game 9, Round 5 - Audio - Ladies and Gentlemen, The Queen

> 2. Please complete the previous question before decoding the rot13.
> Juvpu dhrra qvq Whqv Qrapu cbegenl 19 lrnef rneyvre, va
> "Funxrfcrner va Ybir"?

Elizabeth I

> 3. Who plays Queen Elizabeth II in the TV series "The Crown"
> (2016-)?

Claire Foy

> 7. Who played Queen Elizabeth I in "Elizabeth: The Golden Age"
> (2007)?

Cate Blanchett

> 9. Miranda Richardson played which queen in the TV series
> "Black-Adder II" (1986)?

Mary I; Mary Queen of Scots

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Geography - 5th-Biggest Cities

> 1. Pozna.

Poland

> 2. V?ster?s ["VES-ter-ohss"].

Lithuania

> 3. Fortaleza.

Portugal

> 4. Ahmedabad.

Pakistan

> 5. Shiraz.

Iran

> 6. Bilbao.

Spain

> 7. United States: New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston.

Phoenix

> 8. Australia: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth.

Canberra

> 9. France: Paris, Marseille, Lyon, Toulouse.

Nice

> 10. United Kingdom: London, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow.

Liverpool; Bristol

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 15, 2018, 2:40:13 PM11/15/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 9, Round 6 - Geography - 5th-Biggest Cities
>
> 1. Pozna.

I take a chance on Poland, where there is a city by the name of Poznan'.

> 2. Västerås ["VES-ter-ohss"].

Sweden.

> 3. Fortaleza.

Brazil

> 4. Ahmedabad.

Pakistan

> 5. Shiraz.

Iran

> 6. Bilbao.

Spain

> For questions #7-10, we'll name the country and its four
> largest cities, and you tell us what city ranks 5th -- again,
> by metropolitan area population.
>
> 7. United States: New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston.

Washington

> 8. Australia: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth.

Adelaide

> 9. France: Paris, Marseille, Lyon, Toulouse.

Grenoble

> 10. United Kingdom: London, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow.

Liverpool

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 15, 2018, 3:02:20 PM11/15/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 9, Round 6 - Geography - 5th-Biggest Cities
>
> Most countries have at least five cities in them. In this round,
> questions #1-6 will give you a city whose *metropolitan area* is the
> 5th-largest in its country by population, and you'll respond with
> the country that city is in. For example, if we said "Edmonton",
> you would say "Canada."

It would be interesting to know what source(s) they have used. I checked
against worldpopulation.de and there were not too many matches. The site
does not have metropolitan areas for all countries, so that could
explain some of the deviations. But even when they have metropolitan
area, there still a mismatch. According to them, Houston, Toulouse and
Glasgow are the correct answers for questions 6, 9 and 10.

But this is a shady area, where it matters a lot of what definitions
you use. For instance, I found a file on the Swedish Statistics Agency
about "tätorter" which may be more relevant that the municipalities
listed on worldpopulation.de. In this file, Sollentuna is #5 (which
I never would have guessed), but Sollentuna is part of Greater Stockholm,
and #6 on the list is indeed Västerås, which falls behind Linköping
among the municipalities.

Calvin

Nov 16, 2018, 12:13:22 AM11/16/18
On Thursday, November 15, 2018 at 3:21:39 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Entertainment - "Law & Order"
>
> Can you actually remember a time when you could not see either
> "Law & Order" or one of its five spinoff series subtitled "Special
> Victims Unit", "Criminal Intent", "Trial by Jury", "LA", and "UK"?

No

> 1. The original "Law & Order" series ran from 1990 to 2010,
> tying it with "Gunsmoke" as the longest-running prime-time
> dramatic show (by number of seasons) in US television history.
> Its creator and executive producer began his television career
> writing for "Hill Street Blues" and "Miami Vice". He went on
> to create and produce the five spinoffs. Who is he?

Kelly

> 2. He played Executive ADA (Assistant District Attorney) Jack McCoy
> from 1994 to 2010. Most recently he has been seen on TV as the
> pitchman for TD Ameritrade, and as Lily Tomlin's ex-husband on
> "Grace and Frankie". Name this accomplished actor.

Sam Watterson

> 3. Which versatile actor and longtime Broadway star, who created
> roles in "The Fantasticks" and "Chicago", and played Lumière
> in Disney's "Beauty and the Beast", played Detective Lennie
> Briscoe for 12 years, from 1992 to 2004?

Jerry Orbach

> 4. This Canadian actress played ADA Claire Kincaid from 1993
> until her character's death in a car accident in 1996. She is
> now starring in a new CBC comedy, "Crawford". Name her.
>
> 5. The heart of "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" (or "SVU") is
> Detective Benson, who, over 19 seasons, has risen from sergeant
> to lieutenant and is now the commanding officer. The character
> is played by the offspring of former Hollywood sex symbol
> Jayne Mansfield. Who is that?

Hargitay

> 6. It may be hard to believe that the actor who played sardonic
> conspiracy theorist Detective John Munch on "SVU" is also a
> well-known stand-up comic and author. He played Munch from
> 1993 to 2016, originally on "Homicide: Life on the Street"
> before the character moved to "SVU". (He's also played Munch
> on occasional episodes of other series, including once on
> "The X-Files".) Name him.
>
> 7. Name the imposing actor, also known for his roles in "Full
> Metal Jacket" and Netflix's "Daredevil", who played Detective
> Bobby Goren on "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" from 2001 to 2011.
>
> 8. This well-known actress/singer gained fame as Frasier's
> acid-tongued wife Lilith on "Cheers" and "Frasier". On "Law &
> Order: Trial by Jury" she played Executive ADA Tracey Kibre.
> Name her.
>
> 9. This actor may be best known for his roles in the movies
> "Hustle & Flow", "Crash", and "Iron Man", and the TV series
> Empire. He played Deputy DA Joe Dekker on the short-lived
> "Law & Order: LA". Who is he?
>
> 10. Fans of his character Lee "Apollo" Adama in the "Battlestar
> Galactica" reboot may have tuned in to "Law & Order: UK" (which
> also aired in Canada) to watch this actor in action, who played
> Detective Sergeant Matt Devlin for its first 5 seasons. Who?

Hatch?

> * Game 9, Round 5 - Audio - Ladies and Gentlemen, The Queen
>
> Yet again it's an audio round without the audio.
>
> Many actors have portrayed a queen in film or television, and in its
> original form, this round featured clips from their performances.
> On some questions you were given the name of the queen and asked
> who was player her, and other questions went the other way.
>
> I'd like to reproduce the clips in the form of transcriptions,
> but I don't have the necessary data, so I'll just give you the
> movie titles and dates instead, and I've reversed some questions
> where the title would give away the answer. In each case name the
> queen (give her name and number, where applicable) or the person
> playing her, as indicated.
>
> *Answers may repeat.*
>
> 1. Who played Queen Victoria in "Victoria and Abdul" (2017)?

Dench

> 2. Please complete the previous question before decoding the rot13.
> Juvpu dhrra qvq Whqv Qrapu cbegenl 19 lrnef rneyvre, va
> "Funxrfcrner va Ybir"?

ELizabeth I

> 3. Who plays Queen Elizabeth II in the TV series "The Crown"
> (2016-)?

Blunt

> 4. Who played Queen Elizabeth II in "The Queen" (2006)?

Mirren

> 5. Who played the title character in "Marie Antoinette" (also 2006)?

Dunst?

> 6. Who played the Queen Elizabeth later known as the Queen Mother,
> in "The King's Speech" (2010)?

Helena Bonham Carter

> 7. Who played Queen Elizabeth I in "Elizabeth: The Golden Age"
> (2007)?

Blanchett?

> 8. Who played Queen Olympias of Macedonia in "Alexander" (2004)?

Lane?

> 9. Miranda Richardson played which queen in the TV series
> "Black-Adder II" (1986)?

Elizabeth I

> 10. Which gay man played Queen Elizabeth II in a number of
> episodes of "The Kids in the Hall" (1988-94)?
>

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Geography - 5th-Biggest Cities
>
> Most countries have at least five cities in them. In this round,
> questions #1-6 will give you a city whose *metropolitan area* is the
> 5th-largest in its country by population, and you'll respond with
> the country that city is in. For example, if we said "Edmonton",
> you would say "Canada."
>
> 1. Pozna.

Poland, Czech republic

> 2. Västerås ["VES-ter-ohss"].

Sweden, Finland

> 3. Fortaleza.

Mexico?

> 4. Ahmedabad.

Pakistan

> 5. Shiraz.

Iraq

> 6. Bilbao.

Spain

> For questions #7-10, we'll name the country and its four
> largest cities, and you tell us what city ranks 5th -- again,
> by metropolitan area population.
>
> 7. United States: New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston.

Philadelphia

> 8. Australia: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth.

Adelaide

> 9. France: Paris, Marseille, Lyon, Toulouse.

Dijon, Bordeaux

> 10. United Kingdom: London, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow.

Cardiff, Edinburgh

cheers,
calvin

Joshua Kreitzer

Nov 16, 2018, 12:15:19 AM11/16/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:R6mdnQi5vpTDn3DGnZ2dnUU7-
SfN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Entertainment - "Law & Order"
>
> Can you actually remember a time when you could not see either
> "Law & Order" or one of its five spinoff series subtitled "Special
> Victims Unit", "Criminal Intent", "Trial by Jury", "LA", and "UK"?
>
> 1. The original "Law & Order" series ran from 1990 to 2010,
> tying it with "Gunsmoke" as the longest-running prime-time
> dramatic show (by number of seasons) in US television history.
> Its creator and executive producer began his television career
> writing for "Hill Street Blues" and "Miami Vice". He went on
> to create and produce the five spinoffs. Who is he?

Wolf

> 2. He played Executive ADA (Assistant District Attorney) Jack McCoy
> from 1994 to 2010. Most recently he has been seen on TV as the
> pitchman for TD Ameritrade, and as Lily Tomlin's ex-husband on
> "Grace and Frankie". Name this accomplished actor.

Waterston

> 3. Which versatile actor and longtime Broadway star, who created
> roles in "The Fantasticks" and "Chicago", and played Lumière
> in Disney's "Beauty and the Beast", played Detective Lennie
> Briscoe for 12 years, from 1992 to 2004?

Orbach

> 5. The heart of "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" (or "SVU") is
> Detective Benson, who, over 19 seasons, has risen from sergeant
> to lieutenant and is now the commanding officer. The character
> is played by the offspring of former Hollywood sex symbol
> Jayne Mansfield. Who is that?

Hargitay

> 6. It may be hard to believe that the actor who played sardonic
> conspiracy theorist Detective John Munch on "SVU" is also a
> well-known stand-up comic and author. He played Munch from
> 1993 to 2016, originally on "Homicide: Life on the Street"
> before the character moved to "SVU". (He's also played Munch
> on occasional episodes of other series, including once on
> "The X-Files".) Name him.

Belzer

> 8. This well-known actress/singer gained fame as Frasier's
> acid-tongued wife Lilith on "Cheers" and "Frasier". On "Law &
> Order: Trial by Jury" she played Executive ADA Tracey Kibre.
> Name her.

Neuwirth

> 9. This actor may be best known for his roles in the movies
> "Hustle & Flow", "Crash", and "Iron Man", and the TV series
> Empire. He played Deputy DA Joe Dekker on the short-lived
> "Law & Order: LA". Who is he?

Cheadle

> * Game 9, Round 5 - Audio - Ladies and Gentlemen, The Queen
>
> Many actors have portrayed a queen in film or television, and in its
> original form, this round featured clips from their performances.
> On some questions you were given the name of the queen and asked
> who was player her, and other questions went the other way.
>
> 1. Who played Queen Victoria in "Victoria and Abdul" (2017)?

Dench

> 2. Please complete the previous question before decoding the rot13.
> Juvpu dhrra qvq Whqv Qrapu cbegenl 19 lrnef rneyvre, va
> "Funxrfcrner va Ybir"?

Elizabeth I

> 3. Who plays Queen Elizabeth II in the TV series "The Crown"
> (2016-)?

Foy

> 4. Who played Queen Elizabeth II in "The Queen" (2006)?

Mirren

> 5. Who played the title character in "Marie Antoinette" (also 2006)?

Dunst

> 6. Who played the Queen Elizabeth later known as the Queen Mother,
> in "The King's Speech" (2010)?

Bonham Carter

> 7. Who played Queen Elizabeth I in "Elizabeth: The Golden Age"
> (2007)?

Blanchett

> 9. Miranda Richardson played which queen in the TV series
> "Black-Adder II" (1986)?

Victoria; Elizabeth I

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Geography - 5th-Biggest Cities
>
> Most countries have at least five cities in them. In this round,
> questions #1-6 will give you a city whose *metropolitan area* is the
> 5th-largest in its country by population, and you'll respond with
> the country that city is in. For example, if we said "Edmonton",
> you would say "Canada."
>
> 1. Pozna.

Czech Republic; Slovakia

> 2. Västerås ["VES-ter-ohss"].

Hungary

> 3. Fortaleza.

Argentina; Colombia

> 4. Ahmedabad.

Pakistan

> 5. Shiraz.

Iran

> 6. Bilbao.

Spain

> For questions #7-10, we'll name the country and its four
> largest cities, and you tell us what city ranks 5th -- again,
> by metropolitan area population.
>
> 7. United States: New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston.

Philadelphia

> 8. Australia: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth.

Adelaide; Canberra

> 9. France: Paris, Marseille, Lyon, Toulouse.

Nice

> 10. United Kingdom: London, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow.

Liverpool; Edinburgh

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Nov 16, 2018, 4:34:44 AM11/16/18
Victoria

> 10. Which gay man played Queen Elizabeth II in a number of
> episodes of "The Kids in the Hall" (1988-94)?
>

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Geography - 5th-Biggest Cities
>
> Most countries have at least five cities in them. In this round,
> questions #1-6 will give you a city whose *metropolitan area* is the
> 5th-largest in its country by population, and you'll respond with
> the country that city is in. For example, if we said "Edmonton",
> you would say "Canada."
>
> 1. Pozna.

Poland

> 2. Västerås ["VES-ter-ohss"].

Sweden

> 3. Fortaleza.
> 4. Ahmedabad.

Pakistan

> 5. Shiraz.

Iran

> 6. Bilbao.

Spain

> For questions #7-10, we'll name the country and its four
> largest cities, and you tell us what city ranks 5th -- again,
> by metropolitan area population.
>
> 7. United States: New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston.

San Franxcisco

> 8. Australia: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth.

Adelaide

> 9. France: Paris, Marseille, Lyon, Toulouse.

Bordeaux

> 10. United Kingdom: London, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow.

Liverpool

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Nov 18, 2018, 1:52:56 PM11/18/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:R6mdnQi5vpTDn3DGnZ2dnUU7-
SfN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-07-23,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 4 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Entertainment - "Law & Order"
>
> Can you actually remember a time when you could not see either
> "Law & Order" or one of its five spinoff series subtitled "Special
> Victims Unit", "Criminal Intent", "Trial by Jury", "LA", and "UK"?
>
> 1. The original "Law & Order" series ran from 1990 to 2010,
> tying it with "Gunsmoke" as the longest-running prime-time
> dramatic show (by number of seasons) in US television history.
> Its creator and executive producer began his television career
> writing for "Hill Street Blues" and "Miami Vice". He went on
> to create and produce the five spinoffs. Who is he?

Bochco

> 2. He played Executive ADA (Assistant District Attorney) Jack McCoy
> from 1994 to 2010. Most recently he has been seen on TV as the
> pitchman for TD Ameritrade, and as Lily Tomlin's ex-husband on
> "Grace and Frankie". Name this accomplished actor.
>
> 3. Which versatile actor and longtime Broadway star, who created
> roles in "The Fantasticks" and "Chicago", and played Lumière
> in Disney's "Beauty and the Beast", played Detective Lennie
> Briscoe for 12 years, from 1992 to 2004?
>
> 4. This Canadian actress played ADA Claire Kincaid from 1993
> until her character's death in a car accident in 1996. She is
> now starring in a new CBC comedy, "Crawford". Name her.
>
> 5. The heart of "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" (or "SVU") is
> Detective Benson, who, over 19 seasons, has risen from sergeant
> to lieutenant and is now the commanding officer. The character
> is played by the offspring of former Hollywood sex symbol
> Jayne Mansfield. Who is that?

Mariska Hargitay
Poland

> 2. Västerås ["VES-ter-ohss"].

Finland

> 3. Fortaleza.

Brazil

> 4. Ahmedabad.

India

> 5. Shiraz.

Iran

> 6. Bilbao.

Spain

> For questions #7-10, we'll name the country and its four
> largest cities, and you tell us what city ranks 5th -- again,
> by metropolitan area population.
>
> 7. United States: New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston.

Philadelphia

> 8. Australia: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth.
> 9. France: Paris, Marseille, Lyon, Toulouse.

Bordeaux

> 10. United Kingdom: London, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow.

Liverpool

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Nov 19, 2018, 12:15:48 AM11/19/18
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-07-23,
> see my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Entertainment - "Law & Order"

> Can you actually remember a time when you could not see either
> "Law & Order" or one of its five spinoff series subtitled "Special
> Victims Unit", "Criminal Intent", "Trial by Jury", "LA", and "UK"?

> 1. The original "Law & Order" series ran from 1990 to 2010,
> tying it with "Gunsmoke" as the longest-running prime-time
> dramatic show (by number of seasons) in US television history.
> Its creator and executive producer began his television career
> writing for "Hill Street Blues" and "Miami Vice". He went on
> to create and produce the five spinoffs. Who is he?

Dick Wolf. 4 for Joshua.

Both of the wrong guesses were reasonable tries. David E. Kelley
created, among others, "Harry's Law" and "Boston Legal", and he
wrote for "L.A. Law". He didn't treat any police shows as far as
I know, though. And Steven Bochco created, among others, "L.A. Law",
"NYPD Blue", and "Hill Street Blues".

> 2. He played Executive ADA (Assistant District Attorney) Jack McCoy
> from 1994 to 2010. Most recently he has been seen on TV as the
> pitchman for TD Ameritrade, and as Lily Tomlin's ex-husband on
> "Grace and Frankie". Name this accomplished actor.

Sam Waterston. I accepted Watterson, only one T away when spoken,
for full points. So: 4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, and Joshua.

> 3. Which versatile actor and longtime Broadway star, who created
> roles in "The Fantasticks" and "Chicago", and played Lumière
> in Disney's "Beauty and the Beast", played Detective Lennie
> Briscoe for 12 years, from 1992 to 2004?

Jerry Orbach. 4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, and Joshua.

> 4. This Canadian actress played ADA Claire Kincaid from 1993
> until her character's death in a car accident in 1996. She is
> now starring in a new CBC comedy, "Crawford". Name her.

Jill Hennessy.

> 5. The heart of "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" (or "SVU") is
> Detective Benson, who, over 19 seasons, has risen from sergeant
> to lieutenant and is now the commanding officer. The character
> is played by the offspring of former Hollywood sex symbol
> Jayne Mansfield. Who is that?

Mariska Hargitay. 4 for Calvin, Joshua, and Pete.

> 6. It may be hard to believe that the actor who played sardonic
> conspiracy theorist Detective John Munch on "SVU" is also a
> well-known stand-up comic and author. He played Munch from
> 1993 to 2016, originally on "Homicide: Life on the Street"
> before the character moved to "SVU". (He's also played Munch
> on occasional episodes of other series, including once on
> "The X-Files".) Name him.

Richard Belzer. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 7. Name the imposing actor, also known for his roles in "Full
> Metal Jacket" and Netflix's "Daredevil", who played Detective
> Bobby Goren on "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" from 2001 to 2011.

Vincent D'Onofrio.

> 8. This well-known actress/singer gained fame as Frasier's
> acid-tongued wife Lilith on "Cheers" and "Frasier". On "Law &
> Order: Trial by Jury" she played Executive ADA Tracey Kibre.
> Name her.

Bebe Neuwirth. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 9. This actor may be best known for his roles in the movies
> "Hustle & Flow", "Crash", and "Iron Man", and the TV series
> Empire. He played Deputy DA Joe Dekker on the short-lived
> "Law & Order: LA". Who is he?

Terrence Howard. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 10. Fans of his character Lee "Apollo" Adama in the "Battlestar
> Galactica" reboot may have tuned in to "Law & Order: UK" (which
> also aired in Canada) to watch this actor in action, who played
> Detective Sergeant Matt Devlin for its first 5 seasons. Who?

Jamie Bamber.

> * Game 9, Round 5 - Audio - Ladies and Gentlemen, The Queen

> Yet again it's an audio round without the audio.

> Many actors have portrayed a queen in film or television, and in its
> original form, this round featured clips from their performances.
> On some questions you were given the name of the queen and asked
> who was player her, and other questions went the other way.

> I'd like to reproduce the clips in the form of transcriptions,
> but I don't have the necessary data, so I'll just give you the
> movie titles and dates instead, and I've reversed some questions
> where the title would give away the answer. In each case name the
> queen (give her name and number, where applicable) or the person
> playing her, as indicated.

> Answers may repeat.

> 1. Who played Queen Victoria in "Victoria and Abdul" (2017)?

Judi Dench. 4 for Calvin and Joshua.

> 2. Please complete the previous question before decoding the rot13.
> Which queen did Judi Dench portray 19 years earlier, in
> "Shakespeare in Love"?

Elizabeth I. 4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, and Joshua.

> 3. Who plays Queen Elizabeth II in the TV series "The Crown"
> (2016-)?

Claire Foy. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 4. Who played Queen Elizabeth II in "The Queen" (2006)?

Helen Mirren. 4 for Calvin and Joshua.

> 5. Who played the title character in "Marie Antoinette" (also 2006)?

Kirsten Dunst. 4 for Calvin and Joshua.

> 6. Who played the Queen Elizabeth later known as the Queen Mother,
> in "The King's Speech" (2010)?

Helena Bonham Carter. 4 for Calvin and Joshua.

> 7. Who played Queen Elizabeth I in "Elizabeth: The Golden Age"
> (2007)?

Cate Blanchett. 4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, and Joshua.

> 8. Who played Queen Olympias of Macedonia in "Alexander" (2004)?

Angelina Jolie.

> 9. Miranda Richardson played which queen in the TV series
> "Black-Adder II" (1986)?

Elizabeth I. 4 for Calvin. 2 for Joshua.

> 10. Which gay man played Queen Elizabeth II in a number of
> episodes of "The Kids in the Hall" (1988-94)?

Scott Thompson.

> * Game 9, Round 6 - Geography - 5th-Biggest Cities

> Most countries have at least five cities in them. In this round,
> questions #1-6 will give you a city whose *metropolitan area* is the
> 5th-largest in its country by population, and you'll respond with
> the country that city is in. For example, if we said "Edmonton",
> you would say "Canada."

Unfortunately, as Erland noted, the round's author did not indicate
what reference was used for metropolitan-area populations, and
sources are likely to disagree on them. If any answer you gave
(other than a city mentioned in the question itself) was scored as
wrong and you can find a reasonably recent reference that shows it
as correct, post a protest with the specifics and I'll accept it.

> 1. Pozna.

Poland. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Pete. 3 for Calvin.

> 2. Västerås ["VES-ter-ohss"].

Sweden. 4 for Erland and Dan Tilque. 3 for Calvin.

> 3. Fortaleza.

Brazil. 4 for Erland and Pete.

> 4. Ahmedabad.

India. 4 for Pete.

> 5. Shiraz.

Iran. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 6. Bilbao.

Spain. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Erland, Calvin, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> For questions #7-10, we'll name the country and its four
> largest cities, and you tell us what city ranks 5th -- again,
> by metropolitan[-]area population.

> 7. United States: New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston.

Phoenix. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 8. Australia: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth.

Adelaide. 4 for Erland, Calvin, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Joshua.

> 9. France: Paris, Marseille, Lyon, Toulouse.

Nice. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 10. United Kingdom: London, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow.

Newcastle.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 5 6 BEST
TOPICS-> His Spo Ent Aud Geo THREE
Joshua Kreitzer 40 32 24 30 15 102
Dan Blum 32 23 20 12 20 75
Pete Gayde 32 20 4 0 20 72
"Calvin" 18 0 12 28 14 60
Dan Tilque 24 0 0 0 20 44
Erland Sommarskog 11 0 0 0 24 35
Bruce Bowler 27 8 -- -- -- 35
Jason Kreitzer 20 0 -- -- -- 20

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Those who cannot Google the past are destined to
m...@vex.net | repost it." -- Huey Callison, after Santayana

Mark Brader

Nov 19, 2018, 12:17:46 AM11/19/18
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-07-23,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 4 days.

All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 9, Round 7 - Art - Art School of Fish

Please see this handout modified from a drawing by John Atkinson:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/9-7/fish.jpg

As you see, each fish is drawn in the style of a specific artist.
For questions #1-5, give the corresponding fish number:

1. Joan ["hoe-AHN"] Miró.
2. Mark Rothko.
3. Henry Moore.
4. Marcel Duchamp.
5. Andy Warhol.

For #6-10, you guessed it, please decode the rot13 to see the fish
numbers, and then name the artist in each case.

6. Gur svsgu svfu.
7. Svfu ahzore KV.
8. Gur frpbaq svfu.
9. Svfu gra.
10. #Sbhegrra.

And if you like, decode the following rot13 to see the 5 decoy
artists, and give their fish numbers for fun, but for no points.

11. Znep Puntnyy.
12. Jnffvyl Xnaqvafxl.
13. Uraev Zngvffr.
14. Cnhy Xyrr.
15. Xrvgu Unevat.

* Game 9, Round 8 - Canadiana Science - Canadian Inventions

Did you know people in our very country have invented things?
It's true! At least 10 times in our nation's history, Canadians --
or, at least, people who at the time were living in a place that
is now in Canada -- have invented a new sort of a thing.

1. Marcellus Edson obtained the patent for what food product
in 1884? According to his patent application, the product had
"a consistency like that of butter, lard, or ointment".

2. Three Canadian pediatricians invented this food product in 1930
at the Hospital for Sick Children. Sick Kids received royalties
from the sale of the trademarked product for the next 25 years.
Name it or give a sufficiently specific description.

3. These screws, bearing the name of their inventor, are most common
in Canada, mostly because their inventor refused to license
them to Henry Ford. What screws?

4. Alexander Graham Bell of course invented the telephone, but he
also invented which unconventional type of speedboat?

5. It should not be surprising that a Canadian, Arthur Sicard,
invented the snowblower. Within 4 years, in what year did he
invent it?

6. Likewise, you might know that Joseph-Armand Bombardier invented
the snowmobile -- and again, within 4 years, when was that?

7. Reginald Fessenden had literally hundreds of patents to his
name, but his most important was probably the Fessenden
oscillator, providing the first operational version of what
system for military use?

8. Cluny MacPherson, of St. John's, invented which piece of military
defensive equipment in 1915?

9. The Royal Canadian Navy's DATAR (Digital Automated Tracking and
Resolving) computer, built in 1953, was the first computer to
use what type of input device?

10. Which film format, invented in Montreal, was developed by a
company originally called "Multiscreen"?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Dr. Slipher, I have found your Planet X."
m...@vex.net -- Clyde Tombaugh (1906-97), 1930-02-18

Mark Brader

Nov 19, 2018, 12:19:13 AM11/19/18
[Sorry, I posted this in the wrong thread first. Please respond
to either copy.]

Calvin

Nov 19, 2018, 12:50:47 AM11/19/18
On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 3:17:46 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Art - Art School of Fish
>
> Please see this handout modified from a drawing by John Atkinson:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/9-7/fish.jpg
>
> As you see, each fish is drawn in the style of a specific artist.
> For questions #1-5, give the corresponding fish number:
>
> 1. Joan ["hoe-AHN"] Miró.

9, 11

> 2. Mark Rothko.

9, 11

7

> 4. Marcel Duchamp.

13

> 5. Andy Warhol.

15

> For #6-10, you guessed it, please decode the rot13 to see the fish
> numbers, and then name the artist in each case.
>
> 6. Gur svsgu svfu.

Picasso

> 7. Svfu ahzore KV.
> 8. Gur frpbaq svfu.

Mondrian

> 9. Svfu gra.
> 10. #Sbhegrra.

Dali

> And if you like, decode the following rot13 to see the 5 decoy
> artists, and give their fish numbers for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Znep Puntnyy.

3, 8

> 12. Jnffvyl Xnaqvafxl.

8, 3

> 13. Uraev Zngvffr.
> 14. Cnhy Xyrr.

12

> 15. Xrvgu Unevat.

Nope
They were good fun.

> * Game 9, Round 8 - Canadiana Science - Canadian Inventions

Pass

cheers,
calvin

Joshua Kreitzer

Nov 19, 2018, 1:29:20 AM11/19/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:sdKdnYKUnqBW2m_GnZ2dnUU7-
R_N...@giganews.com:

5

> 2. Mark Rothko.

12

7

> 4. Marcel Duchamp.

13

> 5. Andy Warhol.

15

> For #6-10, you guessed it, please decode the rot13 to see the fish
> numbers, and then name the artist in each case.
>
> 6. Gur svsgu svfu.

Picasso

> 7. Svfu ahzore KV.

Munch

> 8. Gur frpbaq svfu.

Mondrian

> 9. Svfu gra.

Jackson Pollock

> 10. #Sbhegrra.

Dali

4

6

> * Game 9, Round 8 - Canadiana Science - Canadian Inventions
>
> Did you know people in our very country have invented things?
> It's true! At least 10 times in our nation's history, Canadians --
> or, at least, people who at the time were living in a place that
> is now in Canada -- have invented a new sort of a thing.
>
> 1. Marcellus Edson obtained the patent for what food product
> in 1884? According to his patent application, the product had
> "a consistency like that of butter, lard, or ointment".

margarine

> 5. It should not be surprising that a Canadian, Arthur Sicard,
> invented the snowblower. Within 4 years, in what year did he
> invent it?

1880; 1889

> 6. Likewise, you might know that Joseph-Armand Bombardier invented
> the snowmobile -- and again, within 4 years, when was that?

1910; 1901

> 9. The Royal Canadian Navy's DATAR (Digital Automated Tracking and
> Resolving) computer, built in 1953, was the first computer to
> use what type of input device?

mouse

> 10. Which film format, invented in Montreal, was developed by a
> company originally called "Multiscreen"?

Imax

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Nov 19, 2018, 10:09:37 AM11/19/18

8

> 2. Mark Rothko.

12

7

> 4. Marcel Duchamp.

13

> 5. Andy Warhol.

15

> 6. Gur svsgu svfu.

Picasso

> 7. Svfu ahzore KV.

Munch

> 8. Gur frpbaq svfu.

Mondrian

> 10. #Sbhegrra.

Dali

> * Game 9, Round 8 - Canadiana Science - Canadian Inventions

> 1. Marcellus Edson obtained the patent for what food product
> in 1884? According to his patent application, the product had
> "a consistency like that of butter, lard, or ointment".

margarine

> 2. Three Canadian pediatricians invented this food product in 1930
> at the Hospital for Sick Children. Sick Kids received royalties
> from the sale of the trademarked product for the next 25 years.
> Name it or give a sufficiently specific description.

Ovaltine

> 3. These screws, bearing the name of their inventor, are most common
> in Canada, mostly because their inventor refused to license
> them to Henry Ford. What screws?

Phillips

> 5. It should not be surprising that a Canadian, Arthur Sicard,
> invented the snowblower. Within 4 years, in what year did he
> invent it?

1920; 1940

> 6. Likewise, you might know that Joseph-Armand Bombardier invented
> the snowmobile -- and again, within 4 years, when was that?

1930; 1950

> 7. Reginald Fessenden had literally hundreds of patents to his
> name, but his most important was probably the Fessenden
> oscillator, providing the first operational version of what
> system for military use?

radio

> 8. Cluny MacPherson, of St. John's, invented which piece of military
> defensive equipment in 1915?

gas mask

> 9. The Royal Canadian Navy's DATAR (Digital Automated Tracking and
> Resolving) computer, built in 1953, was the first computer to
> use what type of input device?

keyboard

> 10. Which film format, invented in Montreal, was developed by a
> company originally called "Multiscreen"?

IMAX

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 19, 2018, 5:32:09 PM11/19/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> 7. United States: New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston.
>
> Phoenix. 4 for Dan Blum.

Just for fun, I'm giving the answers that I found on worldpopulation.de
(but I'm not going back rechecking for this post.)

worldpopulation.de has Houston in 5th place, with Dallas in 4th place.
I entered Washington which ranks 6 on their list.

>> 8. Australia: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth.
>
> Adelaide. 4 for Erland, Calvin, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Joshua.

Here they have Adelaide.

>> 9. France: Paris, Marseille, Lyon, Toulouse.
>
> Nice. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

Toulouse was #5 and Lille #4. My entry Grenoble was several slots
lower.

>> 10. United Kingdom: London, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow.
>
> Newcastle.

They had Leeds as #4 and Glasgow #5 as I recall. My entry Liverpool
might have have been #6. I can't recall that I paid attention to
Newcastle.

Pete Gayde

Nov 19, 2018, 11:00:19 PM11/19/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:sdKdnYKUnqBW2m_GnZ2dnUU7-
R_N...@giganews.com:

> [Sorry, I posted this in the wrong thread first. Please respond
> to either copy.]
>
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-07-23,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 4 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Art - Art School of Fish
>
> Please see this handout modified from a drawing by John Atkinson:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/9-7/fish.jpg
>
> As you see, each fish is drawn in the style of a specific artist.
> For questions #1-5, give the corresponding fish number:
>
> 1. Joan ["hoe-AHN"] Miró.

7; 13

> 2. Mark Rothko.
> 3. Henry Moore.
> 4. Marcel Duchamp.
> 5. Andy Warhol.

15

> For #6-10, you guessed it, please decode the rot13 to see the fish
> numbers, and then name the artist in each case.
>
> 6. Gur svsgu svfu.

Picasso

> 7. Svfu ahzore KV.

Munch

> 8. Gur frpbaq svfu.

Mondrian

> 9. Svfu gra.
> 10. #Sbhegrra.
>
> And if you like, decode the following rot13 to see the 5 decoy
> artists, and give their fish numbers for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Znep Puntnyy.
> 12. Jnffvyl Xnaqvafxl.
> 13. Uraev Zngvffr.
> 14. Cnhy Xyrr.
> 15. Xrvgu Unevat.
>

> * Game 9, Round 8 - Canadiana Science - Canadian Inventions
>
> Did you know people in our very country have invented things?
> It's true! At least 10 times in our nation's history, Canadians --
> or, at least, people who at the time were living in a place that
> is now in Canada -- have invented a new sort of a thing.
>
> 1. Marcellus Edson obtained the patent for what food product
> in 1884? According to his patent application, the product had
> "a consistency like that of butter, lard, or ointment".

Margarine

> 2. Three Canadian pediatricians invented this food product in 1930
> at the Hospital for Sick Children. Sick Kids received royalties
> from the sale of the trademarked product for the next 25 years.
> Name it or give a sufficiently specific description.
>
> 3. These screws, bearing the name of their inventor, are most common
> in Canada, mostly because their inventor refused to license
> them to Henry Ford. What screws?
>
> 4. Alexander Graham Bell of course invented the telephone, but he
> also invented which unconventional type of speedboat?

Hydrofoil

> 5. It should not be surprising that a Canadian, Arthur Sicard,
> invented the snowblower. Within 4 years, in what year did he
> invent it?

1946; 1957

> 6. Likewise, you might know that Joseph-Armand Bombardier invented
> the snowmobile -- and again, within 4 years, when was that?

1955; 1966

> 7. Reginald Fessenden had literally hundreds of patents to his
> name, but his most important was probably the Fessenden
> oscillator, providing the first operational version of what
> system for military use?

Radar

> 8. Cluny MacPherson, of St. John's, invented which piece of military
> defensive equipment in 1915?

Barbed wire

> 9. The Royal Canadian Navy's DATAR (Digital Automated Tracking and
> Resolving) computer, built in 1953, was the first computer to
> use what type of input device?
>
> 10. Which film format, invented in Montreal, was developed by a
> company originally called "Multiscreen"?

MPEG

Pete Gayde

Calvin

Nov 20, 2018, 8:03:16 PM11/20/18
On Tuesday, November 20, 2018 at 8:32:09 AM UTC+10, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:

> >> 10. United Kingdom: London, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow.
> >
> > Newcastle.
>
> They had Leeds as #4 and Glasgow #5 as I recall. My entry Liverpool
> might have have been #6. I can't recall that I paid attention to
> Newcastle.

City population questions are often problematic but any source that listed Newcastle #5 in the UK has some serious deficiencies.

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Nov 21, 2018, 1:55:43 AM11/21/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Art - Art School of Fish
>
> Please see this handout modified from a drawing by John Atkinson:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/9-7/fish.jpg
>
> As you see, each fish is drawn in the style of a specific artist.
> For questions #1-5, give the corresponding fish number:
>
> 1. Joan ["hoe-AHN"] Miró.
> 2. Mark Rothko.
> 3. Henry Moore.
> 4. Marcel Duchamp.
> 5. Andy Warhol.

15

> For #6-10, you guessed it, please decode the rot13 to see the fish
> numbers, and then name the artist in each case.
>
> 6. Gur svsgu svfu.
> 7. Svfu ahzore KV.
> 8. Gur frpbaq svfu.
> 9. Svfu gra.

Picasso

> 10. #Sbhegrra.

Salvador Dali

> And if you like, decode the following rot13 to see the 5 decoy
> artists, and give their fish numbers for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Znep Puntnyy.
> 12. Jnffvyl Xnaqvafxl.
> 13. Uraev Zngvffr.
> 14. Cnhy Xyrr.
> 15. Xrvgu Unevat.
>

> * Game 9, Round 8 - Canadiana Science - Canadian Inventions
>
> Did you know people in our very country have invented things?
> It's true! At least 10 times in our nation's history, Canadians --
> or, at least, people who at the time were living in a place that
> is now in Canada -- have invented a new sort of a thing.
>
> 1. Marcellus Edson obtained the patent for what food product
> in 1884? According to his patent application, the product had
> "a consistency like that of butter, lard, or ointment".
>
> 2. Three Canadian pediatricians invented this food product in 1930
> at the Hospital for Sick Children. Sick Kids received royalties
> from the sale of the trademarked product for the next 25 years.
> Name it or give a sufficiently specific description.

Pablum

> 3. These screws, bearing the name of their inventor, are most common
> in Canada, mostly because their inventor refused to license
> them to Henry Ford. What screws?
>
> 4. Alexander Graham Bell of course invented the telephone, but he
> also invented which unconventional type of speedboat?
>
> 5. It should not be surprising that a Canadian, Arthur Sicard,
> invented the snowblower. Within 4 years, in what year did he
> invent it?

1937

> 6. Likewise, you might know that Joseph-Armand Bombardier invented
> the snowmobile -- and again, within 4 years, when was that?

1949

> 7. Reginald Fessenden had literally hundreds of patents to his
> name, but his most important was probably the Fessenden
> oscillator, providing the first operational version of what
> system for military use?

radar

> 8. Cluny MacPherson, of St. John's, invented which piece of military
> defensive equipment in 1915?
>
> 9. The Royal Canadian Navy's DATAR (Digital Automated Tracking and
> Resolving) computer, built in 1953, was the first computer to
> use what type of input device?

keyboard

> 10. Which film format, invented in Montreal, was developed by a
> company originally called "Multiscreen"?

IMAX

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Nov 23, 2018, 2:29:58 PM11/23/18
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-07-23,
> see my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 9, Round 7 - Art - Art School of Fish

> Please see this handout modified from a drawing by John Atkinson:

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/9-7/fish.jpg

Here is the original:

http://wronghands1.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/art-school-of-fish.jpg

In the original game, this was one of two rounds tied for easiest
in the game and 4th-easiest in the entire season.

> As you see, each fish is drawn in the style of a specific artist.
> For questions #1-5, give the corresponding fish number:

> 1. Joan ["hoe-AHN"] Miró.

8. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 2. Mark Rothko.

12. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 3. Henry Moore.

7. 4 for Calvin, Joshua, and Dan Blum.

> 4. Marcel Duchamp.

13. 4 for Calvin, Joshua, and Dan Blum.

> 5. Andy Warhol.

15. 4 for everyone -- Calvin, Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> For #6-10, you guessed it, please decode the rot13 to see the fish
> numbers, and then name the artist in each case.

> 6. The fifth fish.

Pablo Picasso. 4 for Calvin, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 7. Fish number XI.

Edvard Munch. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 8. The second fish.

Piet Mondrian. 4 for Calvin, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 9. Fish ten.

Jackson Pollock. 4 for Joshua.

> 10. #Fourteen.

Salvador Dalí. 4 for Calvin, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> And if you like, decode the following rot13 to see the 5 decoy
> artists, and give their fish numbers for fun, but for no points.

No second tries on decoys, please!

#4. Joshua got this.

#3.

#1.

#9.

#6. Joshua got this.

> * Game 9, Round 8 - Canadiana Science - Canadian Inventions

> Did you know people in our very country have invented things?
> It's true! At least 10 times in our nation's history, Canadians --
> or, at least, people who at the time were living in a place that
> is now in Canada -- have invented a new sort of a thing.

And this was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. Marcellus Edson obtained the patent for what food product
> in 1884? According to his patent application, the product had
> "a consistency like that of butter, lard, or ointment".

Peanut butter.

> 2. Three Canadian pediatricians invented this food product in 1930
> at the Hospital for Sick Children. Sick Kids received royalties
> from the sale of the trademarked product for the next 25 years.
> Name it or give a sufficiently specific description.

Pablum precooked baby food ("Pablum" or "precooked" was required).
4 for Dan Tilque.

> 3. These screws, bearing the name of their inventor, are most common
> in Canada, mostly because their inventor refused to license
> them to Henry Ford. What screws?

Robertson.

> 4. Alexander Graham Bell of course invented the telephone, but he
> also invented which unconventional type of speedboat?

Hydrofoil. 4 for Pete.

> 5. It should not be surprising that a Canadian, Arthur Sicard,
> invented the snowblower. Within 4 years, in what year did he
> invent it?

On both #5 and #6, nobody came within 4 years, so I scored answers
within 8 years as "almost correct".

1927 (accepting 1923-31). 2 for Dan Blum.

It was truck-sized, not like today's household snowblowers. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Souffleuse_a_neige_Sicard.jpg

> 6. Likewise, you might know that Joseph-Armand Bombardier invented
> the snowmobile -- and again, within 4 years, when was that?

1937 (accepting 1933-41). 2 for Dan Blum.

Bombardier's original vision was of an enclosed vehicle to take
the place of cars in winter when rural roads were not snowplowed:

http://www.classicdriver.com/sites/default/files/styles/full_width_slider/public/article_images/bombardier_b12_snowmobile_3.jpg
http://revivaler.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/The-Bombardier-B-and-C-Snowmobiles-1983-B7-snowmobile-innovationcanada150.ca_-951x735.jpg

It was another 20 years before the smaller machines we know today
appeared.

> 7. Reginald Fessenden had literally hundreds of patents to his
> name, but his most important was probably the Fessenden
> oscillator, providing the first operational version of what
> system for military use?

Sonar.

> 8. Cluny MacPherson, of St. John's, invented which piece of military
> defensive equipment in 1915?

Gas mask. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 9. The Royal Canadian Navy's DATAR (Digital Automated Tracking and
> Resolving) computer, built in 1953, was the first computer to
> use what type of input device?

Trackball.

> 10. Which film format, invented in Montreal, was developed by a
> company originally called "Multiscreen"?

IMAX. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

In the original game this question said that the name "Multiscreen"
was the first one applied to the format itself. As far as I can
find out, that's not correct: they changed their name after they
decided that a single-image format was the way to go. So I changed
the question to duck the issue.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> His Spo Ent Aud Geo Art Can FIVE
Joshua Kreitzer 40 32 24 30 15 36 4 162
Dan Blum 32 23 20 12 20 36 12 131
"Calvin" 18 0 12 28 14 24 0 96
Pete Gayde 32 20 4 0 20 16 4 92
Dan Tilque 24 0 0 0 20 8 8 60
Erland Sommarskog 11 0 0 0 24 -- -- 35
Bruce Bowler 27 8 -- -- -- -- -- 35
Jason Kreitzer 20 0 -- -- -- -- -- 20

--
Mark Brader | "Which humans of that time did here whether this place
Toronto | was cult place already at that time, extracts itself