Rotating Quiz #164: the billion dollar question

swp

Dec 22, 2014, 10:45:53 PM12/22/14
This is Rotating Quiz 164. Entries must be posted by Sunday,
December 28th, 2014 at 10 PM (Eastern Standard Time).

Usual rules: no looking anything up, no discussion, etc. The
winner gets to create the next RQ.

Please post your answers to all questions in a single followup
in the newsgroup, quoting the questions and placing your answer
below each one. Only one answer is allowed per question. All
answers are as of 9pm EST on 22 dec 2014.

Scoring is 2 points for answers 1-10 or 1 point for an answer
I deem to be sufficiently close (spelling errors and the like).

All questions and answers are in u.s. dollars.

In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be whoever scored
the most points on the hardest questions (defined post-facto
as the ones which the fewest people got any points on). Second
tiebreaker will be posting order.

1. who is the world's richest man according to forbes magazine?
2. tied at #6 on forbes list are 2 brothers who are (in)famous for their extracurricular political activities. what is their family name?
3. at #5 on the forbes list is the founder of oracle. name him.
4. the youngest billionaire on forbes list is bobby murphy, founder of snapchat, along with co-founder evan spiegel. how old are they?
5. david rockefeller, sr., is the oldest billionaire on the list. how old is he?
6. the only world leader on the list is the president of chile. name him.
7. how many of the top 20 billionaires on forbes list made their money from 'technology'?
8. the founder of 'virgin galactic' is richard branson. within 10, how far down the forbes list does he rank?
9. theo albrecht jr made his money from aldi and trader joes. What nation is he from?
10. the world's billionaires have an aggregate net worth of .. how much?

good luck!

swp

Dan Blum

Dec 22, 2014, 11:10:02 PM12/22/14
swp <Stephen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. who is the world's richest man according to forbes magazine?

Warren Buffett

> 2. tied at #6 on forbes list are 2 brothers who are (in)famous for their extracurricular political activities. what is their family name?

Koch

> 3. at #5 on the forbes list is the founder of oracle. name him.

Larry Ellison

> 4. the youngest billionaire on forbes list is bobby murphy, founder of snapchat, along with co-founder evan spiegel. how old are they?

27

> 5. david rockefeller, sr., is the oldest billionaire on the list. how old is he?

93

5

> 8. the founder of 'virgin galactic' is richard branson. within 10, how far down the forbes list does he rank?

22

> 9. theo albrecht jr made his money from aldi and trader joes. What nation is he from?

Germany

> 10. the world's billionaires have an aggregate net worth of .. how much?

500 billion dollars

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Dec 23, 2014, 12:37:45 AM12/23/14
In article <e583acd8-111f-49bf...@googlegroups.com>, Stephen...@gmail.com says...

> 1. who is the world's richest man according to forbes magazine?
Bill Gates

> 2. tied at #6 on forbes list are 2 brothers who are (in)famous for their extracurricular political activities. what is their family name?
Koch

> 3. at #5 on the forbes list is the founder of oracle. name him.
Larry Ellison

> 4. the youngest billionaire on forbes list is bobby murphy, founder of snapchat, along with co-founder evan spiegel. how old are they?
27

> 5. david rockefeller, sr., is the oldest billionaire on the list. how old is he?
77

7

> 8. the founder of 'virgin galactic' is richard branson. within 10, how far down the forbes list does he rank?
37

> 9. theo albrecht jr made his money from aldi and trader joes. What nation is he from?
Switzerland

> 10. the world's billionaires have an aggregate net worth of .. how much?
2,777 billion

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 23, 2014, 3:12:45 PM12/23/14
swp (Stephen...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1. who is the world's richest man according to forbes magazine?

Warren Buffet

> 3. at #5 on the forbes list is the founder of oracle. name him.

Larry Ellison

> 4. the youngest billionaire on forbes list is bobby murphy, founder of
> snapchat, along with co-founder evan spiegel. how old are they?

27

> 5. david rockefeller, sr., is the oldest billionaire on the list. how
> old is he?

92

> 6. the only world leader on the list is the president of chile. name
> him.

Michelle Bachelet, but she is a she, and to my knowing not particulary rich.

Sebastian Monero on the other hand is certainly wealthy, but he is
no longer President.

7

> 8. the founder of 'virgin galactic' is richard branson. within 10, how
> far down the forbes list does he rank?

35

> 9. theo albrecht jr made his money from aldi and trader joes. What
> nation is he from?

Germany

> 10. the world's billionaires have an aggregate net worth of .. how much?

5E12 USD

Calvin

Dec 23, 2014, 6:56:00 PM12/23/14
On Tuesday, December 23, 2014 1:45:53 PM UTC+10, swp wrote:

> 1. who is the world's richest man according to forbes magazine?

Slim

> 2. tied at #6 on forbes list are 2 brothers who are (in)famous for their extracurricular political activities. what is their family name?

Barclay?

> 3. at #5 on the forbes list is the founder of oracle. name him.

Roger Oracle

> 4. the youngest billionaire on forbes list is bobby murphy, founder of snapchat, along with co-founder evan spiegel. how old are they?

26

> 5. david rockefeller, sr., is the oldest billionaire on the list. how old is he?

89

> 6. the only world leader on the list is the president of chile. name him.

> 7. how many of the top 20 billionaires on forbes list made their money from 'technology'?

13

> 8. the founder of 'virgin galactic' is richard branson. within 10, how far down the forbes list does he rank?

88

> 9. theo albrecht jr made his money from aldi and trader joes. What nation is he from?

Germany

> 10. the world's billionaires have an aggregate net worth of .. how much?

14 cents

cheers,
calvin

Pete

Dec 25, 2014, 12:46:25 PM12/25/14
swp <Stephen...@gmail.com> wrote in

> This is Rotating Quiz 164. Entries must be posted by Sunday,
> December 28th, 2014 at 10 PM (Eastern Standard Time).
>
> Usual rules: no looking anything up, no discussion, etc. The
> winner gets to create the next RQ.
>
> Please post your answers to all questions in a single followup
> in the newsgroup, quoting the questions and placing your answer
> below each one. Only one answer is allowed per question. All
> answers are as of 9pm EST on 22 dec 2014.
>
> Scoring is 2 points for answers 1-10 or 1 point for an answer
> I deem to be sufficiently close (spelling errors and the like).
>
> All questions and answers are in u.s. dollars.
>
> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be whoever scored
> the most points on the hardest questions (defined post-facto
> as the ones which the fewest people got any points on). Second
> tiebreaker will be posting order.
>
> 1. who is the world's richest man according to forbes magazine?

Gates

> 2. tied at #6 on forbes list are 2 brothers who are (in)famous for
> their extracurricular political activities. what is their family
> name?

Koch

> 3. at #5 on the forbes list is the founder of oracle. name him.

Ellison

> 4. the youngest billionaire on forbes list is bobby murphy,
> founder of snapchat, along with co-founder evan spiegel. how old are
> they?

25

> 5. david rockefeller, sr., is the oldest billionaire on the
> list. how old is he?

95

> 6. the only world leader on the list is the
> president of chile. name him.
> 7. how many of the top 20 billionaires
> on forbes list made their money from 'technology'?

15

> 8. the founder of
> 'virgin galactic' is richard branson. within 10, how far down the
> forbes list does he rank?

40

> 9. theo albrecht jr made his money from
> aldi and trader joes. What nation is he from?

Germany

> 10. the world's billionaires have an aggregate net worth of .. how
> much?

$50 Trillion

> good luck!
>

> swp

Pete

Rob Parker

Dec 28, 2014, 12:05:40 AM12/28/14
> 1. who is the world's richest man according to forbes magazine?

Bill Gates

> 2. tied at #6 on forbes list are 2 brothers who are (in)famous for their
> extracurricular political activities. what is their family name?
> 3. at #5 on the forbes list is the founder of oracle. name him.

Larry Ellison

> 4. the youngest billionaire on forbes list is bobby murphy, founder of
> snapchat, along with co-founder evan spiegel. how old are they?

27

> 5. david rockefeller, sr., is the oldest billionaire on the list. how
> old is he?

93

6

> 8. the founder of 'virgin galactic' is richard branson. within 10, how
> far down the forbes list does he rank?

42

> 9. theo albrecht jr made his money from aldi and trader joes. What nation
> is he from?

Germany

> 10. the world's billionaires have an aggregate net worth of .. how much?

much too much ;-)

Rob

swp

Dec 28, 2014, 10:27:51 PM12/28/14
On Monday, December 22, 2014 10:45:53 PM UTC-5, swp wrote:
> This is Rotating Quiz 164. Entries must be posted by Sunday,
> December 28th, 2014 at 10 PM (Eastern Standard Time).

if this seemed hard, it just goes to show that having all the money in the world isn't really such a great thing. I myself have the largest collection of sea shells on earth, which I keep on the beaches all over the world...

the answers:
1. who is the world's richest man according to forbes magazine?

bill gates

2. tied at #6 on forbes list are 2 brothers who are (in)famous for their extracurricular political activities. what is their family name?

koch

3. at #5 on the forbes list is the founder of oracle. name him.

larry ellison

4. the youngest billionaire on forbes list is bobby murphy, founder of snapchat, along with co-founder evan spiegel. how old are they?

24. which makes me feel like I should have done more by now.

5. david rockefeller, sr., is the oldest billionaire on the list. how old is he?

99. which makes me feel like I have more time to get there.

6. the only world leader on the list is the president of chile. name him.

sebastian pinera

7. how many of the top 20 billionaires on forbes list made their money from technology?

6.

8. the founder of 'virgin galactic' is richard branson. within 10, how far down the forbes list does he rank?

302. so accepting 292-312

9. theo albrecht jr made his money from aldi and trader joes. What nation is he from?

germany. I never think of trader joes as a german company. nor aldi.

10. the world's billionaires have an aggregate net worth of .. how much?

$6.4 trillion. to put that in perspective, the u.s. national debt is just over $18 trillion as I write this. [see http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/ or for a more confusing look at it in 'real time' see http://www.usdebtclock.org/]

scores:

name 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 total
---------- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -----
Dan B 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 3
Marc D 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3
Erland 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 3
Calvin 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1
Pete 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 4
Rob P 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 4
---------- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -----
totals 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Rob Parker got the harder question (#7) correct, and wins by a narrow tie-breaker margin over Pete. Congratulations Rob!! Well done, young man. You may now host RQ #165 in a manner of your choosing.

thank you all for playing.

swp

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 29, 2014, 3:06:35 PM12/29/14
swp (Stephen...@gmail.com) writes:
> 6. the only world leader on the list is the president of chile. name
> him.
>
> sebastian pinera

What I find funny here is that if you only asked about the country, I would
have answered Brunei, and I would have been dead sure I was right.

But maybe those kind of people make sure that the fortune does not display
to well. When browsing the list at Forbes, I noticed that were members of
the Saudi royal family was there. But the ruling prince is not that
rich? Nah... Also, Angola had only one person on the list a woman. The
last name looked familiar, and, indeed, she is the daughter of the long-time
President.

Pinera, in difference to the other hand, became rich long before he
became president.

And as I typed those words "rich long before he became president" I recalled
the man who may be the only current world leader on the list - the
Chocolate King: http://www.forbes.com/profile/petro-poroshenko/

Rob Parker

Dec 29, 2014, 6:54:54 PM12/29/14

"swp" <Stephen...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Rob Parker got the harder question (#7) correct, and wins by a narrow
> tie-breaker margin over Pete. Congratulations Rob!! Well done, young man.
> You may now host RQ #165 in a manner of your choosing.

Well, that was totally unexpected! I only answered a few of the questions,
and several of those answers were just WAGs.

I'm snowed under - not literally, it's summer here in Oz - with producing a
BirdLife Photography newsletter for the next couple of days, so I hope you
all don't mind a short delay until #165.

Happy New Year,

Rob