QFTCI5EP Final, Round 10: Challenge Round

Mark Brader

Sep 21, 2017, 3:17:16 PM9/21/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-04-04,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round

* A. Snowboarders

In each case, name the snowboard champion.

A1. This US snowboarder is a 2-time Olympic gold-medalist (2006
and 2010), and holds the record for the most X Games gold
medals with 13.

A2. This Canadian snowboarder won gold at the 1998 Winter
Olympics has founded of a company selling branded medical
marijuana.

A3. This Canadian snowboarder and Olympic hopeful was seriously
injured in March during a back-country excursion.

* B. Science Prizes

Many lucrative prizes are awarded internationally in the sciences.
We give you a clue and name the prize; you identify the *scientific
discipline or activity* that it recognizes.

B1. The Constance Lieber Prize is awarded every 2 years.
Administered by the Baltimore-based Lieber Research
Institute, it rewards innovative research in which
discipline?

B2. The Lemelson-MIT Prize honors mid-career individuals for
achievements in what?

B3. Named after Canadian academic J.C. Fields, the Fields Medal
is awarded every 4 years and is one of the most prestigious
awards in what discipline?

* C. Mega-Brewery Purchases

These question are about transactions where a mega-brewery took
on a stake in a successful craft brewery. In each case, name
the mega-brewery.

C1. Toronto brewery Mill Street was taken over by which much
larger brewer in the fall of 2015?

C2. California-based brewery Lagunitas (known for such beers
as Maximus and Hop Stoopid) sold 50% of the company in
2015 for an estimated $500,000,000 US to which European
mega-brewer?

C3. The first major purchase of a craft brewer was the
acquisition of Goose Island in 2011. As a result of
subsequent mergers, that company is now the largest brewer
in the world. Name the mega-brewery.

* D. It's Not Venice

Many cities other than Venice have their own canals and watery
areas. From the photo and clue, name the picturesque city.

D1. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR10/canal1.jpg>.
Name this Belgian city, often referred to as the "Venice
of the North".

D2. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR10/canal2.jpg>.
Similarly, this western Indian city in Rajasthan Province
has been called the "Venice of the East".

D3. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR10/canal3.jpg>.
And this Atlantic port city of rivers, islands, and over
50 bridges is often called the "Brazilian Venice".

* E. Hip-Hop History

It's been 44 years since hip-hop emerged from the South Bronx at
parties arranged by DJ Kool Herc. That means it has now had as
long a history of influence as rock 'n roll had had in the 1990s.

E1. Son of a Black Panther mother in jail on bombing charges,
this rapper acquired legendary status with his graphic
accounts of ghetto life and East Coast / West Coast feuds.
He was shot dead in Las Vegas in 1996.

E2. This crew was a leader in the socially conscious rap movement
of the 1980s. The group became known for their emphatic
politics and for contributing an iconic song to Spike Lee's
movie "Do the Right Thing".

E3. This Philadelphia group, formed in 1987, broke new ground
by adding real instruments and writing sophisticated lyrics.
They are currently the house band for NBC's "Late Night
with Jimmy Fallon".

* F. 1960s Novels

We give you the opening line; you name the novel written in
the 1960s.

F1. "It was a queer, sultry summer, the summer they electrocuted
the Rosenbergs, and I didn't know what I was doing in
New York."

F2. "They're out there. Black boys in white suits up before
me to commit sex acts in the hall and get it mopped up
before I can catch them."

F3. "Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel
Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon
when his father took him to discover ice."

--
Mark Brader | "... [A]toms and universes are the same. All the
Toronto | world is recursive, and that's why we never

Gareth Owen

Sep 21, 2017, 3:45:02 PM9/21/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

Given this groups overall hip-hop knowledge, I feel I should chip in
with these.

> * E. Hip-Hop History
>
> It's been 44 years since hip-hop emerged from the South Bronx at
> parties arranged by DJ Kool Herc. That means it has now had as
> long a history of influence as rock 'n roll had had in the 1990s.
>
> E1. Son of a Black Panther mother in jail on bombing charges,
> this rapper acquired legendary status with his graphic
> accounts of ghetto life and East Coast / West Coast feuds.
> He was shot dead in Las Vegas in 1996.

Tupac Shakur

> E2. This crew was a leader in the socially conscious rap movement
> of the 1980s. The group became known for their emphatic
> politics and for contributing an iconic song to Spike Lee's
> movie "Do the Right Thing".

Public Enemy

> E3. This Philadelphia group, formed in 1987, broke new ground
> by adding real instruments and writing sophisticated lyrics.
> They are currently the house band for NBC's "Late Night
> with Jimmy Fallon".

The Roots

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 21, 2017, 5:08:59 PM9/21/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> C1. Toronto brewery Mill Street was taken over by which much
> larger brewer in the fall of 2015?

Budweiser

> C2. California-based brewery Lagunitas (known for such beers
> as Maximus and Hop Stoopid) sold 50% of the company in
> 2015 for an estimated $500,000,000 US to which European
> mega-brewer?

Heiniken

> C3. The first major purchase of a craft brewer was the
> acquisition of Goose Island in 2011. As a result of
> subsequent mergers, that company is now the largest brewer
> in the world. Name the mega-brewery.

Carlsberg

> D1. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR10/canal1.jpg>.
> Name this Belgian city, often referred to as the "Venice
> of the North".

Brugge

> D2. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR10/canal2.jpg>.
> Similarly, this western Indian city in Rajasthan Province
> has been called the "Venice of the East".

Agra

> D3. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR10/canal3.jpg>.
> And this Atlantic port city of rivers, islands, and over
> 50 bridges is often called the "Brazilian Venice".

Porto Alegro

Dan Blum

Sep 21, 2017, 6:19:43 PM9/21/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * B. Science Prizes

> B1. The Constance Lieber Prize is awarded every 2 years.
> Administered by the Baltimore-based Lieber Research
> Institute, it rewards innovative research in which
> discipline?

biology; medicine

> B2. The Lemelson-MIT Prize honors mid-career individuals for
> achievements in what?

computer science; economics

> B3. Named after Canadian academic J.C. Fields, the Fields Medal
> is awarded every 4 years and is one of the most prestigious
> awards in what discipline?

mathematics

> * C. Mega-Brewery Purchases

> C1. Toronto brewery Mill Street was taken over by which much
> larger brewer in the fall of 2015?

Coors; Anheuser-Busch

> C2. California-based brewery Lagunitas (known for such beers
> as Maximus and Hop Stoopid) sold 50% of the company in
> 2015 for an estimated $500,000,000 US to which European
> mega-brewer?

Heineken

> C3. The first major purchase of a craft brewer was the
> acquisition of Goose Island in 2011. As a result of
> subsequent mergers, that company is now the largest brewer
> in the world. Name the mega-brewery.

Anheuser-Busch

> * D. It's Not Venice

> D1. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR10/canal1.jpg>.
> Name this Belgian city, often referred to as the "Venice
> of the North".

Bruges

> * E. Hip-Hop History

> E1. Son of a Black Panther mother in jail on bombing charges,
> this rapper acquired legendary status with his graphic
> accounts of ghetto life and East Coast / West Coast feuds.
> He was shot dead in Las Vegas in 1996.

Tupac

> E2. This crew was a leader in the socially conscious rap movement
> of the 1980s. The group became known for their emphatic
> politics and for contributing an iconic song to Spike Lee's
> movie "Do the Right Thing".

Public Enemy

> * F. 1960s Novels

> F3. "Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel
> Aureliano Buend?a was to remember that distant afternoon
> when his father took him to discover ice."

One Hundred Years of Solitude

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Sep 21, 2017, 6:23:42 PM9/21/17
In article <uPydnbBcZ4aqjVnE...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * D. It's Not Venice
>
> Many cities other than Venice have their own canals and watery
> areas. From the photo and clue, name the picturesque city.
>
> D1. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR10/canal1.jpg>.
> Name this Belgian city, often referred to as the "Venice
> of the North".
Bruges

> D2. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR10/canal2.jpg>.
> Similarly, this western Indian city in Rajasthan Province
> has been called the "Venice of the East".
>
> D3. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR10/canal3.jpg>.
> And this Atlantic port city of rivers, islands, and over
> 50 bridges is often called the "Brazilian Venice".
>

> * E. Hip-Hop History
>
> It's been 44 years since hip-hop emerged from the South Bronx at
> parties arranged by DJ Kool Herc. That means it has now had as
> long a history of influence as rock 'n roll had had in the 1990s.
>
> E1. Son of a Black Panther mother in jail on bombing charges,
> this rapper acquired legendary status with his graphic
> accounts of ghetto life and East Coast / West Coast feuds.
> He was shot dead in Las Vegas in 1996.
Tupac Shakur

> E2. This crew was a leader in the socially conscious rap movement
> of the 1980s. The group became known for their emphatic
> politics and for contributing an iconic song to Spike Lee's
> movie "Do the Right Thing".
Public Enemy

> E3. This Philadelphia group, formed in 1987, broke new ground
> by adding real instruments and writing sophisticated lyrics.
> They are currently the house band for NBC's "Late Night
> with Jimmy Fallon".
>

> * F. 1960s Novels
>
> We give you the opening line; you name the novel written in
> the 1960s.
>
> F1. "It was a queer, sultry summer, the summer they electrocuted
> the Rosenbergs, and I didn't know what I was doing in
> New York."
>
> F2. "They're out there. Black boys in white suits up before
> me to commit sex acts in the hall and get it mopped up
> before I can catch them."
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

> F3. "Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel
> Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon
> when his father took him to discover ice."
100 Years of Solitude

---
http://www.avg.com

Jason Kreitzer

Sep 21, 2017, 9:45:09 PM9/21/17
2Pac

> E2. This crew was a leader in the socially conscious rap movement
> of the 1980s. The group became known for their emphatic
> politics and for contributing an iconic song to Spike Lee's
> movie "Do the Right Thing".
Public Enemy

> E3. This Philadelphia group, formed in 1987, broke new ground
> by adding real instruments and writing sophisticated lyrics.
> They are currently the house band for NBC's "Late Night
> with Jimmy Fallon".
The Roots

Dan Tilque

Sep 22, 2017, 6:16:37 AM9/22/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Snowboarders
>
> In each case, name the snowboard champion.
>
> A1. This US snowboarder is a 2-time Olympic gold-medalist (2006
> and 2010), and holds the record for the most X Games gold
> medals with 13.

Shawn White

> A2. This Canadian snowboarder won gold at the 1998 Winter
> Olympics has founded of a company selling branded medical
> marijuana.
>
> A3. This Canadian snowboarder and Olympic hopeful was seriously
> injured in March during a back-country excursion.
>

> * B. Science Prizes
>
> Many lucrative prizes are awarded internationally in the sciences.
> We give you a clue and name the prize; you identify the *scientific
> discipline or activity* that it recognizes.
>
> B1. The Constance Lieber Prize is awarded every 2 years.
> Administered by the Baltimore-based Lieber Research
> Institute, it rewards innovative research in which
> discipline?
>
> B2. The Lemelson-MIT Prize honors mid-career individuals for
> achievements in what?
>
> B3. Named after Canadian academic J.C. Fields, the Fields Medal
> is awarded every 4 years and is one of the most prestigious
> awards in what discipline?

economics

> * C. Mega-Brewery Purchases
>
> These question are about transactions where a mega-brewery took
> on a stake in a successful craft brewery. In each case, name
> the mega-brewery.
>
> C1. Toronto brewery Mill Street was taken over by which much
> larger brewer in the fall of 2015?

Molson; Labatt

> C2. California-based brewery Lagunitas (known for such beers
> as Maximus and Hop Stoopid) sold 50% of the company in
> 2015 for an estimated $500,000,000 US to which European
> mega-brewer?

Heineken

> C3. The first major purchase of a craft brewer was the
> acquisition of Goose Island in 2011. As a result of
> subsequent mergers, that company is now the largest brewer
> in the world. Name the mega-brewery.

AB-Inbev

> * D. It's Not Venice
>
> Many cities other than Venice have their own canals and watery
> areas. From the photo and clue, name the picturesque city.
>
> D1. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR10/canal1.jpg>.
> Name this Belgian city, often referred to as the "Venice
> of the North".

Antwerp

> D2. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR10/canal2.jpg>.
> Similarly, this western Indian city in Rajasthan Province
> has been called the "Venice of the East".
>
> D3. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR10/canal3.jpg>.
> And this Atlantic port city of rivers, islands, and over
> 50 bridges is often called the "Brazilian Venice".
>

> * E. Hip-Hop History
>
> It's been 44 years since hip-hop emerged from the South Bronx at
> parties arranged by DJ Kool Herc. That means it has now had as
> long a history of influence as rock 'n roll had had in the 1990s.
>
> E1. Son of a Black Panther mother in jail on bombing charges,
> this rapper acquired legendary status with his graphic
> accounts of ghetto life and East Coast / West Coast feuds.
> He was shot dead in Las Vegas in 1996.

Tupac

> E2. This crew was a leader in the socially conscious rap movement
> of the 1980s. The group became known for their emphatic
> politics and for contributing an iconic song to Spike Lee's
> movie "Do the Right Thing".
>
> E3. This Philadelphia group, formed in 1987, broke new ground
> by adding real instruments and writing sophisticated lyrics.
> They are currently the house band for NBC's "Late Night
> with Jimmy Fallon".
>

> * F. 1960s Novels
>
> We give you the opening line; you name the novel written in
> the 1960s.
>
> F1. "It was a queer, sultry summer, the summer they electrocuted
> the Rosenbergs, and I didn't know what I was doing in
> New York."
>
> F2. "They're out there. Black boys in white suits up before
> me to commit sex acts in the hall and get it mopped up
> before I can catch them."
>
> F3. "Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel
> Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon
> when his father took him to discover ice."

--
Dan Tilque

swp

Sep 22, 2017, 6:53:52 PM9/22/17
On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 3:17:16 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-04-04,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

noted

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Snowboarders
>
> In each case, name the snowboard champion.
>
> A1. This US snowboarder is a 2-time Olympic gold-medalist (2006
> and 2010), and holds the record for the most X Games gold
> medals with 13.

shaun white

> A2. This Canadian snowboarder won gold at the 1998 Winter
> Olympics has founded of a company selling branded medical
> marijuana.

he's like, just this guy ya know?

> A3. This Canadian snowboarder and Olympic hopeful was seriously
> injured in March during a back-country excursion.

mcmorris?

> * B. Science Prizes
>
> Many lucrative prizes are awarded internationally in the sciences.
> We give you a clue and name the prize; you identify the *scientific
> discipline or activity* that it recognizes.
>
> B1. The Constance Lieber Prize is awarded every 2 years.
> Administered by the Baltimore-based Lieber Research
> Institute, it rewards innovative research in which
> discipline?

neuroscience

> B2. The Lemelson-MIT Prize honors mid-career individuals for
> achievements in what?

innovation in technology

> B3. Named after Canadian academic J.C. Fields, the Fields Medal
> is awarded every 4 years and is one of the most prestigious
> awards in what discipline?

mathematics

> * C. Mega-Brewery Purchases
>
> These question are about transactions where a mega-brewery took
> on a stake in a successful craft brewery. In each case, name
> the mega-brewery.
>
> C1. Toronto brewery Mill Street was taken over by which much
> larger brewer in the fall of 2015?

anheuser–busch

> C2. California-based brewery Lagunitas (known for such beers
> as Maximus and Hop Stoopid) sold 50% of the company in
> 2015 for an estimated $500,000,000 US to which European
> mega-brewer?

heinekin

> C3. The first major purchase of a craft brewer was the
> acquisition of Goose Island in 2011. As a result of
> subsequent mergers, that company is now the largest brewer
> in the world. Name the mega-brewery.

anheuser–busch

> * D. It's Not Venice
>
> Many cities other than Venice have their own canals and watery
> areas. From the photo and clue, name the picturesque city.
>
> D1. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR10/canal1.jpg>.
> Name this Belgian city, often referred to as the "Venice
> of the North".

amsterdam

> D2. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR10/canal2.jpg>.
> Similarly, this western Indian city in Rajasthan Province
> has been called the "Venice of the East".

alleppey

> D3. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR10/canal3.jpg>.
> And this Atlantic port city of rivers, islands, and over
> 50 bridges is often called the "Brazilian Venice".

recife

> * E. Hip-Hop History
>
> It's been 44 years since hip-hop emerged from the South Bronx at
> parties arranged by DJ Kool Herc. That means it has now had as
> long a history of influence as rock 'n roll had had in the 1990s.
>
> E1. Son of a Black Panther mother in jail on bombing charges,
> this rapper acquired legendary status with his graphic
> accounts of ghetto life and East Coast / West Coast feuds.
> He was shot dead in Las Vegas in 1996.

tupac shakur

> E2. This crew was a leader in the socially conscious rap movement
> of the 1980s. The group became known for their emphatic
> politics and for contributing an iconic song to Spike Lee's
> movie "Do the Right Thing".

public enemy ("fight the power")

> E3. This Philadelphia group, formed in 1987, broke new ground
> by adding real instruments and writing sophisticated lyrics.
> They are currently the house band for NBC's "Late Night
> with Jimmy Fallon".

the roots

> * F. 1960s Novels
>
> We give you the opening line; you name the novel written in
> the 1960s.
>
> F1. "It was a queer, sultry summer, the summer they electrocuted
> the Rosenbergs, and I didn't know what I was doing in
> New York."

the bell jar

> F2. "They're out there. Black boys in white suits up before
> me to commit sex acts in the hall and get it mopped up
> before I can catch them."

a clockwork orange

> F3. "Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel
> Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon
> when his father took him to discover ice."

100 years of solitude

swp

if you can, please help
http://www.redcross.org/about-us/our-work/disaster-relief/hurricane-relief/hurricane-irma-relief-information

Joshua Kreitzer

Sep 22, 2017, 9:34:09 PM9/22/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:uPydnbBcZ4aqjVnEnZ2dnUU7-
XnN...@giganews.com:

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * B. Science Prizes
>
> Many lucrative prizes are awarded internationally in the sciences.
> We give you a clue and name the prize; you identify the *scientific
> discipline or activity* that it recognizes.
>
> B3. Named after Canadian academic J.C. Fields, the Fields Medal
> is awarded every 4 years and is one of the most prestigious
> awards in what discipline?

mathematics

> * C. Mega-Brewery Purchases
>
> These question are about transactions where a mega-brewery took
> on a stake in a successful craft brewery. In each case, name
> the mega-brewery.
>
> C2. California-based brewery Lagunitas (known for such beers
> as Maximus and Hop Stoopid) sold 50% of the company in
> 2015 for an estimated $500,000,000 US to which European
> mega-brewer?

InBev Anheuser Busch

> C3. The first major purchase of a craft brewer was the
> acquisition of Goose Island in 2011. As a result of
> subsequent mergers, that company is now the largest brewer
> in the world. Name the mega-brewery.

InBev Anheuser Busch

> * E. Hip-Hop History
>
> It's been 44 years since hip-hop emerged from the South Bronx at
> parties arranged by DJ Kool Herc. That means it has now had as
> long a history of influence as rock 'n roll had had in the 1990s.
>
> E1. Son of a Black Panther mother in jail on bombing charges,
> this rapper acquired legendary status with his graphic
> accounts of ghetto life and East Coast / West Coast feuds.
> He was shot dead in Las Vegas in 1996.

Tupac Shakur

> E2. This crew was a leader in the socially conscious rap movement
> of the 1980s. The group became known for their emphatic
> politics and for contributing an iconic song to Spike Lee's
> movie "Do the Right Thing".

Public Enemy

> E3. This Philadelphia group, formed in 1987, broke new ground
> by adding real instruments and writing sophisticated lyrics.
> They are currently the house band for NBC's "Late Night
> with Jimmy Fallon".

The Roots

> * F. 1960s Novels
>
> We give you the opening line; you name the novel written in
> the 1960s.
>
> F3. "Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel
> Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon
> when his father took him to discover ice."

"One Hundred Years of Solitude"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Peter Smyth

Sep 23, 2017, 5:29:38 AM9/23/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-04-04,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Snowboarders
>
> In each case, name the snowboard champion.
>
> A1. This US snowboarder is a 2-time Olympic gold-medalist (2006
> and 2010), and holds the record for the most X Games gold
> medals with 13.
Shaun White
> A2. This Canadian snowboarder won gold at the 1998 Winter
> Olympics has founded of a company selling branded medical
> marijuana.
>
> A3. This Canadian snowboarder and Olympic hopeful was seriously
> injured in March during a back-country excursion.
>

> * B. Science Prizes
>
> Many lucrative prizes are awarded internationally in the sciences.
> We give you a clue and name the prize; you identify the *scientific
> discipline or activity* that it recognizes.
>
> B1. The Constance Lieber Prize is awarded every 2 years.
> Administered by the Baltimore-based Lieber Research
> Institute, it rewards innovative research in which
> discipline?
>
> B2. The Lemelson-MIT Prize honors mid-career individuals for
> achievements in what?
>
> B3. Named after Canadian academic J.C. Fields, the Fields Medal
> is awarded every 4 years and is one of the most prestigious
> awards in what discipline?
Mathematics
Tupac Shakur, Notorious BIG
> E2. This crew was a leader in the socially conscious rap movement
> of the 1980s. The group became known for their emphatic
> politics and for contributing an iconic song to Spike Lee's
> movie "Do the Right Thing".
Public Enemy
> E3. This Philadelphia group, formed in 1987, broke new ground
> by adding real instruments and writing sophisticated lyrics.
> They are currently the house band for NBC's "Late Night
> with Jimmy Fallon".
>

> * F. 1960s Novels
>
> We give you the opening line; you name the novel written in
> the 1960s.
>
> F1. "It was a queer, sultry summer, the summer they electrocuted
> the Rosenbergs, and I didn't know what I was doing in
> New York."
>
> F2. "They're out there. Black boys in white suits up before
> me to commit sex acts in the hall and get it mopped up
> before I can catch them."
>
> F3. "Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel
> Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon
> when his father took him to discover ice."

Peter Smyth

Pete Gayde

Sep 23, 2017, 11:59:25 PM9/23/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:uPydnbBcZ4aqjVnEnZ2dnUU7-
XnN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-04-04,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Snowboarders
>
> In each case, name the snowboard champion.
>
> A1. This US snowboarder is a 2-time Olympic gold-medalist (2006
> and 2010), and holds the record for the most X Games gold
> medals with 13.

Shaun Johnson

> A2. This Canadian snowboarder won gold at the 1998 Winter
> Olympics has founded of a company selling branded medical
> marijuana.
>
> A3. This Canadian snowboarder and Olympic hopeful was seriously
> injured in March during a back-country excursion.
>

> * B. Science Prizes
>
> Many lucrative prizes are awarded internationally in the sciences.
> We give you a clue and name the prize; you identify the *scientific
> discipline or activity* that it recognizes.
>
> B1. The Constance Lieber Prize is awarded every 2 years.
> Administered by the Baltimore-based Lieber Research
> Institute, it rewards innovative research in which
> discipline?
>
> B2. The Lemelson-MIT Prize honors mid-career individuals for
> achievements in what?
>
> B3. Named after Canadian academic J.C. Fields, the Fields Medal
> is awarded every 4 years and is one of the most prestigious
> awards in what discipline?
>

> * C. Mega-Brewery Purchases
>
> These question are about transactions where a mega-brewery took
> on a stake in a successful craft brewery. In each case, name
> the mega-brewery.
>
> C1. Toronto brewery Mill Street was taken over by which much
> larger brewer in the fall of 2015?

Molson; Labatts

> C2. California-based brewery Lagunitas (known for such beers
> as Maximus and Hop Stoopid) sold 50% of the company in
> 2015 for an estimated $500,000,000 US to which European
> mega-brewer?

Heineken

> C3. The first major purchase of a craft brewer was the
> acquisition of Goose Island in 2011. As a result of
> subsequent mergers, that company is now the largest brewer
> in the world. Name the mega-brewery.

AB InBev

> * D. It's Not Venice
>
> Many cities other than Venice have their own canals and watery
> areas. From the photo and clue, name the picturesque city.
>
> D1. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR10/canal1.jpg>.
> Name this Belgian city, often referred to as the "Venice
> of the North".

Brugges

> D2. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR10/canal2.jpg>.
> Similarly, this western Indian city in Rajasthan Province
> has been called the "Venice of the East".
>
> D3. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR10/canal3.jpg>.
> And this Atlantic port city of rivers, islands, and over
> 50 bridges is often called the "Brazilian Venice".
>

> * E. Hip-Hop History
>
> It's been 44 years since hip-hop emerged from the South Bronx at
> parties arranged by DJ Kool Herc. That means it has now had as
> long a history of influence as rock 'n roll had had in the 1990s.
>
> E1. Son of a Black Panther mother in jail on bombing charges,
> this rapper acquired legendary status with his graphic
> accounts of ghetto life and East Coast / West Coast feuds.
> He was shot dead in Las Vegas in 1996.

Tupac Shakur

> E2. This crew was a leader in the socially conscious rap movement
> of the 1980s. The group became known for their emphatic
> politics and for contributing an iconic song to Spike Lee's
> movie "Do the Right Thing".
>
> E3. This Philadelphia group, formed in 1987, broke new ground
> by adding real instruments and writing sophisticated lyrics.
> They are currently the house band for NBC's "Late Night
> with Jimmy Fallon".

The Roots

> * F. 1960s Novels
>
> We give you the opening line; you name the novel written in
> the 1960s.
>
> F1. "It was a queer, sultry summer, the summer they electrocuted
> the Rosenbergs, and I didn't know what I was doing in
> New York."
>
> F2. "They're out there. Black boys in white suits up before
> me to commit sex acts in the hall and get it mopped up
> before I can catch them."
>
> F3. "Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel
> Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon
> when his father took him to discover ice."

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Sep 25, 2017, 2:19:50 AM9/25/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-04-04,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

The Final game is over and STEPHEN PERRY has romped to a win
despite entering only 4 of the 8 rounds! Hearty congratulations!

This completes the season of questions by 5 Easy Pieces. Since
we're now more than 5 months behind real time, I'm skipping the
following season and will now start with the season just begun,
by Smith & Guessin'. So stay tuned for QFTCISG!

> ** Final, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Snowboarders

> In each case, name the snowboard champion.

> A1. This US snowboarder is a 2-time Olympic gold-medalist (2006
> and 2010), and holds the record for the most X Games gold
> medals with 13.

Shaun White. 4 for Dan Tilque, Stephen, and Peter.

> A2. This Canadian snowboarder won gold at the 1998 Winter
> Olympics has founded of a company selling branded medical
> marijuana.

Ross Rebagliati.

> A3. This Canadian snowboarder and Olympic hopeful was seriously
> injured in March during a back-country excursion.

Mark McMorris. 4 for Stephen.

> * B. Science Prizes

> Many lucrative prizes are awarded internationally in the sciences.
> We give you a clue and name the prize; you identify the *scientific
> discipline or activity* that it recognizes.

> B1. The Constance Lieber Prize is awarded every 2 years.
> Administered by the Baltimore-based Lieber Research
> Institute, it rewards innovative research in which
> discipline?

Neuroscience. Sorry, "biology" and "medicine" were not specific
enough. 4 for Stephen.

> B2. The Lemelson-MIT Prize honors mid-career individuals for
> achievements in what?

Innovation (accepting invention). 4 for Stephen.

> B3. Named after Canadian academic J.C. Fields, the Fields Medal
> is awarded every 4 years and is one of the most prestigious
> awards in what discipline?

Math. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, Joshua, and Peter.

> * C. Mega-Brewery Purchases

> These question are about transactions where a mega-brewery took
> on a stake in a successful craft brewery. In each case, name
> the mega-brewery.

> C1. Toronto brewery Mill Street was taken over by which much
> larger brewer in the fall of 2015?

Labatt. 2 for Dan Tilque and Pete.

> C2. California-based brewery Lagunitas (known for such beers
> as Maximus and Hop Stoopid) sold 50% of the company in
> 2015 for an estimated $500,000,000 US to which European
> mega-brewer?

Heineken. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Stephen, and Pete.

> C3. The first major purchase of a craft brewer was the
> acquisition of Goose Island in 2011. As a result of
> subsequent mergers, that company is now the largest brewer
> in the world. Name the mega-brewery.

Anheuser-Busch, now part of Anheuser-Busch InBev (accepting either).
4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Stephen, Joshua, and Pete.

> * D. It's Not Venice

> Many cities other than Venice have their own canals and watery
> areas. From the photo and clue, name the picturesque city.

> D1. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR10/canal1.jpg>.
> Name this Belgian city, often referred to as the "Venice
> of the North".

Bruges. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Marc, and Pete.

"The Venice of the North?" Pfaugh. *Amsterdam*, anyone? What about
Amsterdam, *hmmm*? Look here, people:
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR10/canal4.jpg
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR10/canal5.jpg

Actually, Wikipedia has a whole list of places that have been called
"the Venice of the North" -- with 39 entries the last time I looked!
Of those 8 are in Germany, 7 in Norway, 7 in the UK, 4 in France,
4 in Poland, 3 in the Netherlands, and 6 in other countries.)

> D2. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR10/canal2.jpg>.
> Similarly, this western Indian city in Rajasthan Province
> has been called the "Venice of the East".

Udaipur.

> D3. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR10/canal3.jpg>.
> And this Atlantic port city of rivers, islands, and over
> 50 bridges is often called the "Brazilian Venice".

Recife. 4 for Stephen.

> * E. Hip-Hop History

> It's been 44 years since hip-hop emerged from the South Bronx at
> parties arranged by DJ Kool Herc. That means it has now had as
> long a history of influence as rock 'n roll had had in the 1990s.

> E1. Son of a Black Panther mother in jail on bombing charges,
> this rapper acquired legendary status with his graphic
> accounts of ghetto life and East Coast / West Coast feuds.
> He was shot dead in Las Vegas in 1996.

Tupac Shakur. I accepted "Tupac". 4 for Gareth, Dan Blum, Marc,
Jason, Dan Tilque, Stephen, Joshua, and Pete. 3 for Peter.

> E2. This crew was a leader in the socially conscious rap movement
> of the 1980s. The group became known for their emphatic
> politics and for contributing an iconic song to Spike Lee's
> movie "Do the Right Thing".

Public Enemy. 4 for Gareth, Dan Blum, Marc, Jason, Stephen, Joshua,
and Peter.

> E3. This Philadelphia group, formed in 1987, broke new ground
> by adding real instruments and writing sophisticated lyrics.
> They are currently the house band for NBC's "Late Night
> with Jimmy Fallon".

The Roots. 4 for Gareth, Jason, Stephen, Joshua, and Pete.

> * F. 1960s Novels

> We give you the opening line; you name the novel written in
> the 1960s.

> F1. "It was a queer, sultry summer, the summer they electrocuted
> the Rosenbergs, and I didn't know what I was doing in
> New York."

"The Bell Jar" (Sylvia Plath, 1963). 4 for Stephen.

> F2. "They're out there. Black boys in white suits up before
> me to commit sex acts in the hall and get it mopped up
> before I can catch them."

"One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" (Ken Kesey, 1962). 4 for Marc.

> F3. "Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel
> Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon
> when his father took him to discover ice."

"One Hundred Years of Solitude" (Gabriel García Márquez, 1967).
4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Stephen, and Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Sci Ent Geo His Lit Spo Cha SIX
Stephen Perry -- 52 56 60 -- -- -- 52 220
Dan Blum 4 36 32 29 48 28 13 28 201
Joshua Kreitzer 12 16 44 43 28 24 22 24 185
Marc Dashevsky 12 40 -- 28 24 24 24 20 160
Dan Tilque 4 28 4 32 32 12 0 18 126
Peter Smyth -- 16 20 32 12 -- 12 15 107
Erland Sommarskog -- 8 -- 32 27 -- 8 8 83
Pete Gayde 3 0 20 -- -- -- 24 22 69
"Calvin" -- 8 -- 35 14 -- -- -- 57
Gareth Owen -- -- 40 -- -- -- -- 12 52
Jason Kreitzer -- 0 28 -- -- -- 8 12 48

--
Mark Brader | In order that there may be no doubt as to which is the
Toronto | bottom and which is the top ... the bottom of each

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 25, 2017, 3:42:38 AM9/25/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> "The Venice of the North?" Pfaugh. *Amsterdam*, anyone? What about
> Amsterdam, *hmmm*? Look here, people:
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR10/canal4.jpg
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR10/canal5.jpg
>
> Actually, Wikipedia has a whole list of places that have been called
> "the Venice of the North" -- with 39 entries the last time I looked!
> Of those 8 are in Germany, 7 in Norway, 7 in the UK, 4 in France,
> 4 in Poland, 3 in the Netherlands, and 6 in other countries.)

When I think of it, Stockholm counts among those. While there is certainly
is a lot of water in this town, there are not really much canals. (Although
all waters are not natural straits. Some are man-made.)

>> D3. See: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR10/canal3.jpg>.
>> And this Atlantic port city of rivers, islands, and over
>> 50 bridges is often called the "Brazilian Venice".
>
> Recife. 4 for Stephen.

Damn! I had Recife first - simply on the ground that it was a coastal
Brazil city I could think of that was not Rio or São Paolo. But the little
I knew about did not seem to match, so I went with Porto Alegre which I
believe is posher. Again it has been proved: don't change your original
guess!

Mark Brader

Sep 25, 2017, 6:05:18 AM9/25/17
Mark Brader:
>> Actually, Wikipedia has a whole list of places that have been called
>> "the Venice of the North" -- with 39 entries the last time I looked!
>> Of those 8 are in Germany, 7 in Norway, 7 in the UK, 4 in France,
>> 4 in Poland, 3 in the Netherlands, and 6 in other countries.)

Erland Sommarskog:
> When I think of it, Stockholm counts among those.

It is indeed on the list.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Polly-ticks: Bloodsucking parasites that squawk
m...@vex.net | mindless slogans in place of thought. --Chris Vernell