QFTCISG Game 10, Rounds 2-3: saints and provincial things

Mark Brader

Jan 14, 2018, 2:56:40 AM1/14/18
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-11-27,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 10, Round 2 - History - Saints Through the Ages

The Roman Catholic Church has recognized thousands of saints.
We will give you a description of some of the most popular
saints. You name the saint. For most questions the first name
is sufficient.

1. He was a Roman soldier and priest. He was tortured and martyred
by the Emperor Diocletian on April 23, 303.

2. He was a Spanish knight who fought in many battles, was injured
and became a priest and theologian. He founded the Jesuit
order and died in 1556.

3. She was a young leader of the French army during the Hundred
Years' War. Captured by the Burgundians and sold to the English,
she was tried in an ecclesiastical court and condemned to death.
She was burned at the stake.

4. She won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979 for her work with the
Sisters of Charity, an order she founded to work with the poor in
India. She died in 1997, and was recently canonized as a saint.

5. The first Angel saint to be given a day in the calendar. He is
mentioned in the Bible in the Book of Revelation as the protector
of Christians during the apocalypse. The fall term in English
schools bears his name.

6. He was a Roman-Briton born about 385. He was carried off by
raiders and enslaved, and used as a herdsman. He escaped after
6 years and trained as a priest in France, then journeyed to
Ireland as a missionary Bishop. He provided leadership as the
Christian church grew in Ireland, establishing himself in Armagh.

7. He was born in Italy in 1181, the son of a wealthy merchant.
When he discerned his Christian vocation, he was disinherited by
his father and became a penniless preacher. Pope Innocent III
authorized him to set up a group of friars, who would refuse
all material wealth, and even corporate wealth. They later
developed into a religious order.

8. He was Bishop of Myra in Lycia (southwestern Asia) in the
4th century. Legend has it that he saved three girls from
prostitution by throwing three bags of gold as dowry into
their window at night. Another legend has him saving three
unjustly condemned men from death. His day is marked in the
Roman Catholic calendar as December 6.

9. He was a martyr in the 3rd century is Asia Minor. Not much
else is known about him. He is the patron saint of wayfarers
and motorists. Medieval belief was that anyone who looked on
an image of him would suffer no harm that day.

10. He was a bishop and leading theologian in the 4th century.
Born in 354, he left his home in North Africa to study in
Italy and was baptized as a Christian at age 33. He became
a priest a few years later in Africa, and served as a bishop.
He left an enormous body of written work 113 books, 200 letters
and 500 sermons. Two are still in print: "Confessions" and
"The City of God".

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Sbe nal
nafjre, vs lbh tnir whfg fnvq Fg. Senapvf, cyrnfr tb onpx naq
fcrpvsl juvpu bar.

* Game 10, Round 3 - Canadiana Geography - Official Provincial Things

For the following round, we will give you an item, you give
us the *province or territory*. For example, if we ask which
province's flower is the white trillium, you would say Ontario.
Answers may repeat.

1. Which province or territory's official flower is the wild rose?

2. Which province or territory's official flower is the purple
saxifrage?

3. Which province or territory's official bird is the common raven?

4. Which province or territory's official animal is the spirit bear?

5. Name either one of the two adjacent provinces whose official
fish is the walleye.

6. Which province or territory's official bird is the blue jay?

7. Which province or territory's official tree is the eastern
white pine?

8. Which province or territory's official tree is the black spruce?

9. Which province or territory's official motto translates to
English as "splendor without diminishment"?

10. Which province or territory's official motto translates to
English as "I remember"?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "But going repeatedly back and forth in time is
m...@vex.net | cheating. Anybody can do that!" --Paul Kriha

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 14, 2018, 5:20:04 AM1/14/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 10, Round 2 - History - Saints Through the Ages
>
> 3. She was a young leader of the French army during the Hundred
> Years' War. Captured by the Burgundians and sold to the English,
> she was tried in an ecclesiastical court and condemned to death.
> She was burned at the stake.

Jeanne d'Arc

> 4. She won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979 for her work with the
> Sisters of Charity, an order she founded to work with the poor in
> India. She died in 1997, and was recently canonized as a saint.

Mother Teresa

> 6. He was a Roman-Briton born about 385. He was carried off by
> raiders and enslaved, and used as a herdsman. He escaped after
> 6 years and trained as a priest in France, then journeyed to
> Ireland as a missionary Bishop. He provided leadership as the
> Christian church grew in Ireland, establishing himself in Armagh.

St Patrick

> 7. He was born in Italy in 1181, the son of a wealthy merchant.
> When he discerned his Christian vocation, he was disinherited by
> his father and became a penniless preacher. Pope Innocent III
> authorized him to set up a group of friars, who would refuse
> all material wealth, and even corporate wealth. They later
> developed into a religious order.

Francesco

> 8. He was Bishop of Myra in Lycia (southwestern Asia) in the
> 4th century. Legend has it that he saved three girls from
> prostitution by throwing three bags of gold as dowry into
> their window at night. Another legend has him saving three
> unjustly condemned men from death. His day is marked in the
> Roman Catholic calendar as December 6.

Saint Nicholas a.k.a Santa Claus

Dan Blum

Jan 14, 2018, 12:40:49 PM1/14/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 2 - History - Saints Through the Ages

> 1. He was a Roman soldier and priest. He was tortured and martyred
> by the Emperor Diocletian on April 23, 303.

Saint Sebastian

> 2. He was a Spanish knight who fought in many battles, was injured
> and became a priest and theologian. He founded the Jesuit
> order and died in 1556.

Saint Ignatius Loyola

> 3. She was a young leader of the French army during the Hundred
> Years' War. Captured by the Burgundians and sold to the English,
> she was tried in an ecclesiastical court and condemned to death.
> She was burned at the stake.

Saint Joan of Arc

> 4. She won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979 for her work with the
> Sisters of Charity, an order she founded to work with the poor in
> India. She died in 1997, and was recently canonized as a saint.

Mother Theresa

> 5. The first Angel saint to be given a day in the calendar. He is
> mentioned in the Bible in the Book of Revelation as the protector
> of Christians during the apocalypse. The fall term in English
> schools bears his name.

Saint Hilary

> 6. He was a Roman-Briton born about 385. He was carried off by
> raiders and enslaved, and used as a herdsman. He escaped after
> 6 years and trained as a priest in France, then journeyed to
> Ireland as a missionary Bishop. He provided leadership as the
> Christian church grew in Ireland, establishing himself in Armagh.

Saint Patrick

> 7. He was born in Italy in 1181, the son of a wealthy merchant.
> When he discerned his Christian vocation, he was disinherited by
> his father and became a penniless preacher. Pope Innocent III
> authorized him to set up a group of friars, who would refuse
> all material wealth, and even corporate wealth. They later
> developed into a religious order.

Saint Francis of Asissi

> 8. He was Bishop of Myra in Lycia (southwestern Asia) in the
> 4th century. Legend has it that he saved three girls from
> prostitution by throwing three bags of gold as dowry into
> their window at night. Another legend has him saving three
> unjustly condemned men from death. His day is marked in the
> Roman Catholic calendar as December 6.

Saint Nicholas

> 9. He was a martyr in the 3rd century is Asia Minor. Not much
> else is known about him. He is the patron saint of wayfarers
> and motorists. Medieval belief was that anyone who looked on
> an image of him would suffer no harm that day.

Saint Christopher

> 10. He was a bishop and leading theologian in the 4th century.
> Born in 354, he left his home in North Africa to study in
> Italy and was baptized as a Christian at age 33. He became
> a priest a few years later in Africa, and served as a bishop.
> He left an enormous body of written work 113 books, 200 letters
> and 500 sermons. Two are still in print: "Confessions" and
> "The City of God".

Saint Augustine

> * Game 10, Round 3 - Canadiana Geography - Official Provincial Things

> 1. Which province or territory's official flower is the wild rose?

Alberta

> 2. Which province or territory's official flower is the purple
> saxifrage?

British Columbia; Nova Scotia

> 3. Which province or territory's official bird is the common raven?

Nunavut; Northwest Territories

> 4. Which province or territory's official animal is the spirit bear?

Nunavut; Yukon

> 5. Name either one of the two adjacent provinces whose official
> fish is the walleye.

Nova Scotia; New Brunswick

> 6. Which province or territory's official bird is the blue jay?

Prince Edward Island; New Brunswick

> 7. Which province or territory's official tree is the eastern
> white pine?

Ontario; Newfoundland and Labrador

> 8. Which province or territory's official tree is the black spruce?

British Columbia; Manitoba

> 9. Which province or territory's official motto translates to
> English as "splendor without diminishment"?

British Columbia; Yukon

> 10. Which province or territory's official motto translates to
> English as "I remember"?

Quebec

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Jan 14, 2018, 1:02:32 PM1/14/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:j5udnViEvd-ukMbHnZ2dnUU7-
bfN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 10, Round 2 - History - Saints Through the Ages
>
> The Roman Catholic Church has recognized thousands of saints.
> We will give you a description of some of the most popular
> saints. You name the saint. For most questions the first name
> is sufficient.
>
> 1. He was a Roman soldier and priest. He was tortured and martyred
> by the Emperor Diocletian on April 23, 303.

Sebastian

> 2. He was a Spanish knight who fought in many battles, was injured
> and became a priest and theologian. He founded the Jesuit
> order and died in 1556.

Ignatius Loyola

> 3. She was a young leader of the French army during the Hundred
> Years' War. Captured by the Burgundians and sold to the English,
> she was tried in an ecclesiastical court and condemned to death.
> She was burned at the stake.

Joan of Arc

> 4. She won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979 for her work with the
> Sisters of Charity, an order she founded to work with the poor in
> India. She died in 1997, and was recently canonized as a saint.

Mother Teresa

> 5. The first Angel saint to be given a day in the calendar. He is
> mentioned in the Bible in the Book of Revelation as the protector
> of Christians during the apocalypse. The fall term in English
> schools bears his name.

Michael

> 6. He was a Roman-Briton born about 385. He was carried off by
> raiders and enslaved, and used as a herdsman. He escaped after
> 6 years and trained as a priest in France, then journeyed to
> Ireland as a missionary Bishop. He provided leadership as the
> Christian church grew in Ireland, establishing himself in Armagh.

Patrick

> 7. He was born in Italy in 1181, the son of a wealthy merchant.
> When he discerned his Christian vocation, he was disinherited by
> his father and became a penniless preacher. Pope Innocent III
> authorized him to set up a group of friars, who would refuse
> all material wealth, and even corporate wealth. They later
> developed into a religious order.

Francis of Assisi

> 8. He was Bishop of Myra in Lycia (southwestern Asia) in the
> 4th century. Legend has it that he saved three girls from
> prostitution by throwing three bags of gold as dowry into
> their window at night. Another legend has him saving three
> unjustly condemned men from death. His day is marked in the
> Roman Catholic calendar as December 6.

Nicholas

> 9. He was a martyr in the 3rd century is Asia Minor. Not much
> else is known about him. He is the patron saint of wayfarers
> and motorists. Medieval belief was that anyone who looked on
> an image of him would suffer no harm that day.

Christopher

> 10. He was a bishop and leading theologian in the 4th century.
> Born in 354, he left his home in North Africa to study in
> Italy and was baptized as a Christian at age 33. He became
> a priest a few years later in Africa, and served as a bishop.
> He left an enormous body of written work 113 books, 200 letters
> and 500 sermons. Two are still in print: "Confessions" and
> "The City of God".

Augustine

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Sbe nal
> nafjre, vs lbh tnir whfg fnvq Fg. Senapvf, cyrnfr tb onpx naq
> fcrpvsl juvpu bar.
>

> * Game 10, Round 3 - Canadiana Geography - Official Provincial Things
>
> For the following round, we will give you an item, you give
> us the *province or territory*. For example, if we ask which
> province's flower is the white trillium, you would say Ontario.
> Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. Which province or territory's official flower is the wild rose?

Alberta; Saskatchewan

> 2. Which province or territory's official flower is the purple
> saxifrage?

British Columbia; Manitoba

> 3. Which province or territory's official bird is the common raven?

Yukon; Prince Edward Island

> 4. Which province or territory's official animal is the spirit bear?

Nunavut

> 5. Name either one of the two adjacent provinces whose official
> fish is the walleye.

Newfoundland and Labrador; Manitoba

> 6. Which province or territory's official bird is the blue jay?

Ontario

> 7. Which province or territory's official tree is the eastern
> white pine?

New Brunswick

> 8. Which province or territory's official tree is the black spruce?

Nova Scotia; Manitoba

> 9. Which province or territory's official motto translates to
> English as "splendor without diminishment"?

Alberta; Saskatchewan

> 10. Which province or territory's official motto translates to
> English as "I remember"?

Quebec

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

swp

Jan 14, 2018, 1:31:34 PM1/14/18
On Sunday, January 14, 2018 at 2:56:40 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-11-27,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

noted

> * Game 10, Round 2 - History - Saints Through the Ages
>
> The Roman Catholic Church has recognized thousands of saints.
> We will give you a description of some of the most popular
> saints. You name the saint. For most questions the first name
> is sufficient.
>
> 1. He was a Roman soldier and priest. He was tortured and martyred
> by the Emperor Diocletian on April 23, 303.

saint george

> 2. He was a Spanish knight who fought in many battles, was injured
> and became a priest and theologian. He founded the Jesuit
> order and died in 1556.

saint ignatius de loyola

> 3. She was a young leader of the French army during the Hundred
> Years' War. Captured by the Burgundians and sold to the English,
> she was tried in an ecclesiastical court and condemned to death.
> She was burned at the stake.

saint joan of arc

> 4. She won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979 for her work with the
> Sisters of Charity, an order she founded to work with the poor in
> India. She died in 1997, and was recently canonized as a saint.

saint teresa of calcutta

> 5. The first Angel saint to be given a day in the calendar. He is
> mentioned in the Bible in the Book of Revelation as the protector
> of Christians during the apocalypse. The fall term in English
> schools bears his name.

saint michael the archangel

> 6. He was a Roman-Briton born about 385. He was carried off by
> raiders and enslaved, and used as a herdsman. He escaped after
> 6 years and trained as a priest in France, then journeyed to
> Ireland as a missionary Bishop. He provided leadership as the
> Christian church grew in Ireland, establishing himself in Armagh.

saint patrick

> 7. He was born in Italy in 1181, the son of a wealthy merchant.
> When he discerned his Christian vocation, he was disinherited by
> his father and became a penniless preacher. Pope Innocent III
> authorized him to set up a group of friars, who would refuse
> all material wealth, and even corporate wealth. They later
> developed into a religious order.

saint francis of assisi

> 8. He was Bishop of Myra in Lycia (southwestern Asia) in the
> 4th century. Legend has it that he saved three girls from
> prostitution by throwing three bags of gold as dowry into
> their window at night. Another legend has him saving three
> unjustly condemned men from death. His day is marked in the
> Roman Catholic calendar as December 6.

saint nicholas

> 9. He was a martyr in the 3rd century is Asia Minor. Not much
> else is known about him. He is the patron saint of wayfarers
> and motorists. Medieval belief was that anyone who looked on
> an image of him would suffer no harm that day.

saint christopher

> 10. He was a bishop and leading theologian in the 4th century.
> Born in 354, he left his home in North Africa to study in
> Italy and was baptized as a Christian at age 33. He became
> a priest a few years later in Africa, and served as a bishop.
> He left an enormous body of written work 113 books, 200 letters
> and 500 sermons. Two are still in print: "Confessions" and
> "The City of God".

saint augustine of hippo

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: For any
> answer, if you gave just said St. Francis, please go back and
> specify which one.
>

> * Game 10, Round 3 - Canadiana Geography - Official Provincial Things
>
> For the following round, we will give you an item, you give
> us the *province or territory*. For example, if we ask which
> province's flower is the white trillium, you would say Ontario.
> Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. Which province or territory's official flower is the wild rose?

alberta

> 2. Which province or territory's official flower is the purple
> saxifrage?

nunavut

> 3. Which province or territory's official bird is the common raven?

yukon

> 4. Which province or territory's official animal is the spirit bear?

british columbia

> 5. Name either one of the two adjacent provinces whose official
> fish is the walleye.

manitoba

> 6. Which province or territory's official bird is the blue jay?

prince edward island

> 7. Which province or territory's official tree is the eastern
> white pine?

ontario

> 8. Which province or territory's official tree is the black spruce?

newfoundland and labrador

> 9. Which province or territory's official motto translates to
> English as "splendor without diminishment"?

british columbia

> 10. Which province or territory's official motto translates to
> English as "I remember"?

quebec?

swp, not a saint

Jason Kreitzer

Jan 14, 2018, 1:53:30 PM1/14/18
On Sunday, January 14, 2018 at 2:56:40 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
Joan of Arc
> 4. She won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979 for her work with the
> Sisters of Charity, an order she founded to work with the poor in
> India. She died in 1997, and was recently canonized as a saint.
Mother Teresa
Alberta
> 2. Which province or territory's official flower is the purple
> saxifrage?
British Columbia
> 3. Which province or territory's official bird is the common raven?
Newfoundland and Labrador
> 4. Which province or territory's official animal is the spirit bear?
Prince Edward Island
> 5. Name either one of the two adjacent provinces whose official
> fish is the walleye.
New Brundswick
> 6. Which province or territory's official bird is the blue jay?
Ontario
> 7. Which province or territory's official tree is the eastern
> white pine?
Saskatchewan
> 8. Which province or territory's official tree is the black spruce?
Manitoba
> 9. Which province or territory's official motto translates to
> English as "splendor without diminishment"?
Quebec
> 10. Which province or territory's official motto translates to
> English as "I remember"?
Nuvanut

Peter Smyth

Jan 14, 2018, 2:19:54 PM1/14/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 2 - History - Saints Through the Ages
>
> The Roman Catholic Church has recognized thousands of saints.
> We will give you a description of some of the most popular
> saints. You name the saint. For most questions the first name
> is sufficient.
>
> 1. He was a Roman soldier and priest. He was tortured and martyred
> by the Emperor Diocletian on April 23, 303.
>
> 2. He was a Spanish knight who fought in many battles, was injured
> and became a priest and theologian. He founded the Jesuit
> order and died in 1556.
>
> 3. She was a young leader of the French army during the Hundred
> Years' War. Captured by the Burgundians and sold to the English,
> she was tried in an ecclesiastical court and condemned to death.
> She was burned at the stake.
Joan of Arc
> 4. She won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979 for her work with the
> Sisters of Charity, an order she founded to work with the poor in
> India. She died in 1997, and was recently canonized as a saint.
Mother Teresa
> 5. The first Angel saint to be given a day in the calendar. He is
> mentioned in the Bible in the Book of Revelation as the protector
> of Christians during the apocalypse. The fall term in English
> schools bears his name.
Michael
> 6. He was a Roman-Briton born about 385. He was carried off by
> raiders and enslaved, and used as a herdsman. He escaped after
> 6 years and trained as a priest in France, then journeyed to
> Ireland as a missionary Bishop. He provided leadership as the
> Christian church grew in Ireland, establishing himself in Armagh.
Patrick
> 7. He was born in Italy in 1181, the son of a wealthy merchant.
> When he discerned his Christian vocation, he was disinherited by
> his father and became a penniless preacher. Pope Innocent III
> authorized him to set up a group of friars, who would refuse
> all material wealth, and even corporate wealth. They later
> developed into a religious order.
Francis of Assisi, Dominic
> 8. He was Bishop of Myra in Lycia (southwestern Asia) in the
> 4th century. Legend has it that he saved three girls from
> prostitution by throwing three bags of gold as dowry into
> their window at night. Another legend has him saving three
> unjustly condemned men from death. His day is marked in the
> Roman Catholic calendar as December 6.
>
> 9. He was a martyr in the 3rd century is Asia Minor. Not much
> else is known about him. He is the patron saint of wayfarers
> and motorists. Medieval belief was that anyone who looked on
> an image of him would suffer no harm that day.
>
> 10. He was a bishop and leading theologian in the 4th century.
> Born in 354, he left his home in North Africa to study in
> Italy and was baptized as a Christian at age 33. He became
> a priest a few years later in Africa, and served as a bishop.
> He left an enormous body of written work 113 books, 200 letters
> and 500 sermons. Two are still in print: "Confessions" and
> "The City of God".
>
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: For any
> answer, if you gave just said St. Francis, please go back and
> specify which one.

Peter Smyth

Calvin

Jan 14, 2018, 9:29:27 PM1/14/18
On Sunday, January 14, 2018 at 5:56:40 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 2 - History - Saints Through the Ages
>
> The Roman Catholic Church has recognized thousands of saints.
> We will give you a description of some of the most popular
> saints. You name the saint. For most questions the first name
> is sufficient.
>
> 1. He was a Roman soldier and priest. He was tortured and martyred
> by the Emperor Diocletian on April 23, 303.
>
> 2. He was a Spanish knight who fought in many battles, was injured
> and became a priest and theologian. He founded the Jesuit
> order and died in 1556.
>
> 3. She was a young leader of the French army during the Hundred
> Years' War. Captured by the Burgundians and sold to the English,
> she was tried in an ecclesiastical court and condemned to death.
> She was burned at the stake.

Joan of Arc

> 4. She won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979 for her work with the
> Sisters of Charity, an order she founded to work with the poor in
> India. She died in 1997, and was recently canonized as a saint.

Mother Theresa

> 5. The first Angel saint to be given a day in the calendar. He is
> mentioned in the Bible in the Book of Revelation as the protector
> of Christians during the apocalypse. The fall term in English
> schools bears his name.

Michael

> 6. He was a Roman-Briton born about 385. He was carried off by
> raiders and enslaved, and used as a herdsman. He escaped after
> 6 years and trained as a priest in France, then journeyed to
> Ireland as a missionary Bishop. He provided leadership as the
> Christian church grew in Ireland, establishing himself in Armagh.

Patrick

> 7. He was born in Italy in 1181, the son of a wealthy merchant.
> When he discerned his Christian vocation, he was disinherited by
> his father and became a penniless preacher. Pope Innocent III
> authorized him to set up a group of friars, who would refuse
> all material wealth, and even corporate wealth. They later
> developed into a religious order.

Augustine, Francis of Assisi

> 8. He was Bishop of Myra in Lycia (southwestern Asia) in the
> 4th century. Legend has it that he saved three girls from
> prostitution by throwing three bags of gold as dowry into
> their window at night. Another legend has him saving three
> unjustly condemned men from death. His day is marked in the
> Roman Catholic calendar as December 6.

Augustine, Francis of Assisi

> 9. He was a martyr in the 3rd century is Asia Minor. Not much
> else is known about him. He is the patron saint of wayfarers
> and motorists. Medieval belief was that anyone who looked on
> an image of him would suffer no harm that day.

Christopher?

> 10. He was a bishop and leading theologian in the 4th century.
> Born in 354, he left his home in North Africa to study in
> Italy and was baptized as a Christian at age 33. He became
> a priest a few years later in Africa, and served as a bishop.
> He left an enormous body of written work 113 books, 200 letters
> and 500 sermons. Two are still in print: "Confessions" and
> "The City of God".

Augustine, Francis of Assisi

> * Game 10, Round 3 - Canadiana Geography - Official Provincial Things

Pass thanks.

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Jan 15, 2018, 6:59:07 AM1/15/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 2 - History - Saints Through the Ages
>
> The Roman Catholic Church has recognized thousands of saints.
> We will give you a description of some of the most popular
> saints. You name the saint. For most questions the first name
> is sufficient.
>
> 1. He was a Roman soldier and priest. He was tortured and martyred
> by the Emperor Diocletian on April 23, 303.

St. Sebastian

> 2. He was a Spanish knight who fought in many battles, was injured
> and became a priest and theologian. He founded the Jesuit
> order and died in 1556.

St. Ignatius Loyala

> 3. She was a young leader of the French army during the Hundred
> Years' War. Captured by the Burgundians and sold to the English,
> she was tried in an ecclesiastical court and condemned to death.
> She was burned at the stake.

Ste. Jeanne d'Arc

> 4. She won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979 for her work with the
> Sisters of Charity, an order she founded to work with the poor in
> India. She died in 1997, and was recently canonized as a saint.

Mother Teresa

> 5. The first Angel saint to be given a day in the calendar. He is
> mentioned in the Bible in the Book of Revelation as the protector
> of Christians during the apocalypse. The fall term in English
> schools bears his name.

St. Michael

> 6. He was a Roman-Briton born about 385. He was carried off by
> raiders and enslaved, and used as a herdsman. He escaped after
> 6 years and trained as a priest in France, then journeyed to
> Ireland as a missionary Bishop. He provided leadership as the
> Christian church grew in Ireland, establishing himself in Armagh.

St. Patrick

> 7. He was born in Italy in 1181, the son of a wealthy merchant.
> When he discerned his Christian vocation, he was disinherited by
> his father and became a penniless preacher. Pope Innocent III
> authorized him to set up a group of friars, who would refuse
> all material wealth, and even corporate wealth. They later
> developed into a religious order.

St. Francis of Assisi

> 8. He was Bishop of Myra in Lycia (southwestern Asia) in the
> 4th century. Legend has it that he saved three girls from
> prostitution by throwing three bags of gold as dowry into
> their window at night. Another legend has him saving three
> unjustly condemned men from death. His day is marked in the
> Roman Catholic calendar as December 6.

St. Nicholas

> 9. He was a martyr in the 3rd century is Asia Minor. Not much
> else is known about him. He is the patron saint of wayfarers
> and motorists. Medieval belief was that anyone who looked on
> an image of him would suffer no harm that day.

St. Christopher

> 10. He was a bishop and leading theologian in the 4th century.
> Born in 354, he left his home in North Africa to study in
> Italy and was baptized as a Christian at age 33. He became
> a priest a few years later in Africa, and served as a bishop.
> He left an enormous body of written work 113 books, 200 letters
> and 500 sermons. Two are still in print: "Confessions" and
> "The City of God".

Augustine of Hippo

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Sbe nal
> nafjre, vs lbh tnir whfg fnvq Fg. Senapvf, cyrnfr tb onpx naq
> fcrpvsl juvpu bar.
>

> * Game 10, Round 3 - Canadiana Geography - Official Provincial Things
>
> For the following round, we will give you an item, you give
> us the *province or territory*. For example, if we ask which
> province's flower is the white trillium, you would say Ontario.
> Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. Which province or territory's official flower is the wild rose?

Saskatchewan

> 2. Which province or territory's official flower is the purple
> saxifrage?

Manitoba

> 3. Which province or territory's official bird is the common raven?

Newfoundland and Labrador

> 4. Which province or territory's official animal is the spirit bear?

Nunavut

> 5. Name either one of the two adjacent provinces whose official
> fish is the walleye.

Alberta

> 6. Which province or territory's official bird is the blue jay?

Ontario

> 7. Which province or territory's official tree is the eastern
> white pine?

New Brunswick

> 8. Which province or territory's official tree is the black spruce?

Nova Scotia

> 9. Which province or territory's official motto translates to
> English as "splendor without diminishment"?

Nova Scotia

> 10. Which province or territory's official motto translates to
> English as "I remember"?

Quebec

--
Dan Tilque

Marc Dashevsky

Jan 15, 2018, 10:19:49 AM1/15/18
In article <j5udnViEvd-ukMbH...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 10, Round 2 - History - Saints Through the Ages
>
> The Roman Catholic Church has recognized thousands of saints.
> We will give you a description of some of the most popular
> saints. You name the saint. For most questions the first name
> is sufficient.
>
> 1. He was a Roman soldier and priest. He was tortured and martyred
> by the Emperor Diocletian on April 23, 303.
>
> 2. He was a Spanish knight who fought in many battles, was injured
> and became a priest and theologian. He founded the Jesuit
> order and died in 1556.
>
> 3. She was a young leader of the French army during the Hundred
> Years' War. Captured by the Burgundians and sold to the English,
> she was tried in an ecclesiastical court and condemned to death.
> She was burned at the stake.
Joan D'Arc

> 4. She won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979 for her work with the
> Sisters of Charity, an order she founded to work with the poor in
> India. She died in 1997, and was recently canonized as a saint.
Mother Theresa

> 5. The first Angel saint to be given a day in the calendar. He is
> mentioned in the Bible in the Book of Revelation as the protector
> of Christians during the apocalypse. The fall term in English
> schools bears his name.
>
> 6. He was a Roman-Briton born about 385. He was carried off by
> raiders and enslaved, and used as a herdsman. He escaped after
> 6 years and trained as a priest in France, then journeyed to
> Ireland as a missionary Bishop. He provided leadership as the
> Christian church grew in Ireland, establishing himself in Armagh.
>
> 7. He was born in Italy in 1181, the son of a wealthy merchant.
> When he discerned his Christian vocation, he was disinherited by
> his father and became a penniless preacher. Pope Innocent III
> authorized him to set up a group of friars, who would refuse
> all material wealth, and even corporate wealth. They later
> developed into a religious order.
Francis of Assisi

> 8. He was Bishop of Myra in Lycia (southwestern Asia) in the
> 4th century. Legend has it that he saved three girls from
> prostitution by throwing three bags of gold as dowry into
> their window at night. Another legend has him saving three
> unjustly condemned men from death. His day is marked in the
> Roman Catholic calendar as December 6.
>
> 9. He was a martyr in the 3rd century is Asia Minor. Not much
> else is known about him. He is the patron saint of wayfarers
> and motorists. Medieval belief was that anyone who looked on
> an image of him would suffer no harm that day.
Christopher

> 10. He was a bishop and leading theologian in the 4th century.
> Born in 354, he left his home in North Africa to study in
> Italy and was baptized as a Christian at age 33. He became
> a priest a few years later in Africa, and served as a bishop.
> He left an enormous body of written work 113 books, 200 letters
> and 500 sermons. Two are still in print: "Confessions" and
> "The City of God".

Pete Gayde

Jan 16, 2018, 6:19:15 PM1/16/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:j5udnViEvd-ukMbHnZ2dnUU7-
bfN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-11-27,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 10, Round 2 - History - Saints Through the Ages
>
> The Roman Catholic Church has recognized thousands of saints.
> We will give you a description of some of the most popular
> saints. You name the saint. For most questions the first name
> is sufficient.
>
> 1. He was a Roman soldier and priest. He was tortured and martyred
> by the Emperor Diocletian on April 23, 303.

Thomas Aquinus

> 2. He was a Spanish knight who fought in many battles, was injured
> and became a priest and theologian. He founded the Jesuit
> order and died in 1556.

Ignatius

> 3. She was a young leader of the French army during the Hundred
> Years' War. Captured by the Burgundians and sold to the English,
> she was tried in an ecclesiastical court and condemned to death.
> She was burned at the stake.

Joan of Arc

> 4. She won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979 for her work with the
> Sisters of Charity, an order she founded to work with the poor in
> India. She died in 1997, and was recently canonized as a saint.

Mother Teresa

> 5. The first Angel saint to be given a day in the calendar. He is
> mentioned in the Bible in the Book of Revelation as the protector
> of Christians during the apocalypse. The fall term in English
> schools bears his name.

Michael

> 6. He was a Roman-Briton born about 385. He was carried off by
> raiders and enslaved, and used as a herdsman. He escaped after
> 6 years and trained as a priest in France, then journeyed to
> Ireland as a missionary Bishop. He provided leadership as the
> Christian church grew in Ireland, establishing himself in Armagh.

Patrick

> 7. He was born in Italy in 1181, the son of a wealthy merchant.
> When he discerned his Christian vocation, he was disinherited by
> his father and became a penniless preacher. Pope Innocent III
> authorized him to set up a group of friars, who would refuse
> all material wealth, and even corporate wealth. They later
> developed into a religious order.

Francis of Assisi

> 8. He was Bishop of Myra in Lycia (southwestern Asia) in the
> 4th century. Legend has it that he saved three girls from
> prostitution by throwing three bags of gold as dowry into
> their window at night. Another legend has him saving three
> unjustly condemned men from death. His day is marked in the
> Roman Catholic calendar as December 6.

Nicholas

> 9. He was a martyr in the 3rd century is Asia Minor. Not much
> else is known about him. He is the patron saint of wayfarers
> and motorists. Medieval belief was that anyone who looked on
> an image of him would suffer no harm that day.

Christopher

> 10. He was a bishop and leading theologian in the 4th century.
> Born in 354, he left his home in North Africa to study in
> Italy and was baptized as a Christian at age 33. He became
> a priest a few years later in Africa, and served as a bishop.
> He left an enormous body of written work 113 books, 200 letters
> and 500 sermons. Two are still in print: "Confessions" and
> "The City of God".

Thomas Aquinus

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Sbe nal
> nafjre, vs lbh tnir whfg fnvq Fg. Senapvf, cyrnfr tb onpx naq
> fcrpvsl juvpu bar.
>

> * Game 10, Round 3 - Canadiana Geography - Official Provincial Things
>
> For the following round, we will give you an item, you give
> us the *province or territory*. For example, if we ask which
> province's flower is the white trillium, you would say Ontario.
> Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. Which province or territory's official flower is the wild rose?

Quebec; British Columbia

> 2. Which province or territory's official flower is the purple
> saxifrage?

Saskatchewan; Manitoba

> 3. Which province or territory's official bird is the common raven?

Ontario; Quebec

> 4. Which province or territory's official animal is the spirit bear?

British Columbia; Yukon Territory

> 5. Name either one of the two adjacent provinces whose official
> fish is the walleye.

Ontario

> 6. Which province or territory's official bird is the blue jay?

Ontario

> 7. Which province or territory's official tree is the eastern
> white pine?

Nova Scotia; New Brunswick

> 8. Which province or territory's official tree is the black spruce?

Alberta; Yukon Territory

> 9. Which province or territory's official motto translates to
> English as "splendor without diminishment"?

British Columbia; Nunavuut

> 10. Which province or territory's official motto translates to
> English as "I remember"?

Quebec

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Jan 17, 2018, 4:23:42 AM1/17/18
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-11-27,
> see my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 10, Round 2 - History - Saints Through the Ages

> The Roman Catholic Church has recognized thousands of saints.
> We will give you a description of some of the most popular
> saints. You name the saint. For most questions the first name
> is sufficient.

This was the second-easiest round in the original game, after the
audio round.

> 1. He was a Roman soldier and priest. He was tortured and martyred
> by the Emperor Diocletian on April 23, 303.

St. George. 4 for Stephen.

> 2. He was a Spanish knight who fought in many battles, was injured
> and became a priest and theologian. He founded the Jesuit
> order and died in 1556.

St. Ignatius. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Stephen, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 3. She was a young leader of the French army during the Hundred
> Years' War. Captured by the Burgundians and sold to the English,
> she was tried in an ecclesiastical court and condemned to death.
> She was burned at the stake.

St. Joan (of Arc). 4 for everyone -- Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua,
Stephen, Jason, Peter, Calvin, Dan Tilque, Marc, and Pete.

> 4. She won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979 for her work with the
> Sisters of Charity, an order she founded to work with the poor in
> India. She died in 1997, and was recently canonized as a saint.

St. Teresa (of Calcutta). 4 for everyone.

> 5. The first Angel saint to be given a day in the calendar. He is
> mentioned in the Bible in the Book of Revelation as the protector
> of Christians during the apocalypse. The fall term in English
> schools bears his name.

St. Michael (the Archangel). 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Peter, Calvin,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 6. He was a Roman-Briton born about 385. He was carried off by
> raiders and enslaved, and used as a herdsman. He escaped after
> 6 years and trained as a priest in France, then journeyed to
> Ireland as a missionary Bishop. He provided leadership as the
> Christian church grew in Ireland, establishing himself in Armagh.

St. Patrick. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua, Stephen, Peter, Calvin,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 7. He was born in Italy in 1181, the son of a wealthy merchant.
> When he discerned his Christian vocation, he was disinherited by
> his father and became a penniless preacher. Pope Innocent III
> authorized him to set up a group of friars, who would refuse
> all material wealth, and even corporate wealth. They later
> developed into a religious order.

St. Francis of Assisi. (Both parts required.) 4 for Dan Blum,
Joshua, Stephen, Dan Tilque, Marc, and Pete. 3 for Peter.
2 for Calvin.

> 8. He was Bishop of Myra in Lycia (southwestern Asia) in the
> 4th century. Legend has it that he saved three girls from
> prostitution by throwing three bags of gold as dowry into
> their window at night. Another legend has him saving three
> unjustly condemned men from death. His day is marked in the
> Roman Catholic calendar as December 6.

St. Nicholas. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua, Stephen, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

> 9. He was a martyr in the 3rd century is Asia Minor. Not much
> else is known about him. He is the patron saint of wayfarers
> and motorists. Medieval belief was that anyone who looked on
> an image of him would suffer no harm that day.

St. Christopher. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Stephen, Calvin, Dan Tilque,
Marc, and Pete.

> 10. He was a bishop and leading theologian in the 4th century.
> Born in 354, he left his home in North Africa to study in
> Italy and was baptized as a Christian at age 33. He became
> a priest a few years later in Africa, and served as a bishop.
> He left an enormous body of written work 113 books, 200 letters
> and 500 sermons. Two are still in print: "Confessions" and
> "The City of God".

St. Augustine. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.
3 for Calvin.

> * Game 10, Round 3 - Canadiana Geography - Official Provincial Things

> For the following round, we will give you an item, you give
> us the *province or territory*. For example, if we ask which
> province's flower is the white trillium, you would say Ontario.
> Answers may repeat.

And this was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. Which province or territory's official flower is the wild rose?

Alberta, duh. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Jason. 3 for Joshua.

> 2. Which province or territory's official flower is the purple
> saxifrage?

Nunavut. 4 for Stephen.

> 3. Which province or territory's official bird is the common raven?

Yukon. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Joshua.

> 4. Which province or territory's official animal is the spirit bear?

British Colombia. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Pete.

> 5. Name either one of the two adjacent provinces whose official
> fish is the walleye.

Manitoba, Saskatchewan. 4 for Stephen. 2 for Joshua.

> 6. Which province or territory's official bird is the blue jay?

Prince Edward Island. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 7. Which province or territory's official tree is the eastern
> white pine?

Ontario. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 8. Which province or territory's official tree is the black spruce?

Newfoundland and Labrador. (Accepting "Newfoundland".) 4 for
Stephen.

> 9. Which province or territory's official motto translates to
> English as "splendor without diminishment"?

British Columbia. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Dan Blum and Pete.

> 10. Which province or territory's official motto translates to
> English as "I remember"?

Quebec, duh. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Stephen, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

Giggle points for "Nuvanut", as in "I don't remember the spelling".

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 10 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Can
Stephen Perry 40 40 80
Dan Blum 32 17 49
Joshua Kreitzer 36 12 48
Pete Gayde 32 10 42
Dan Tilque 36 4 40
"Calvin" 25 0 25
Peter Smyth 19 0 19
Erland Sommarskog 16 0 16
Marc Dashevsky 16 0 16
Jason Kreitzer 8 4 12

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I can't tell from this... whether you're
m...@vex.net | a wise man or a wise guy." --Ted Schuerzinger