RQFTCI16 Game 7, Rounds 2-3: Canflags, religiscribes

Mark Brader

Sep 12, 2016, 12:51:57 AM9/12/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-07-04,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

I did not write either of these rounds.

* Game 7, Round 2 - Canadiana Geography - Regional, Cultural,
Sub-Provincial, Organizational, and Just Plain Unofficial Flags

Please see the handout at:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/7-2/flags.pdf

I have decided to post this round in essentially its original form
despite the mixture of questions that give the flag number and
those that ask for the flag number. This means that by reading
ahead you'll have a bit of extra information on some questions,
but I think this won't be too damaging. The alternatives would
have been to regroup the questions according to which way they go
(making some of them harder) or to require a lot of separate rot13's
(making it inconvenient).

1. Which flag on the handout is the ensign of the Royal Canadian
Air Force?

2. Flag #5 represents a Canadian cultural group. Which one?
3. Flag #7 belongs to which southern Ontario city?
4. Which flag is for the Métis Nation of Canada?
5. Which flag is for the City of Vancouver?
6. Which fraternal organization does flag #21 represent?
7. Flag #16 belongs to which Canadian Crown Corporation?

8. The unofficial flag in picture #9 represents a geographically
distinct region of a Canadian province. Name the region *or*
the province.

9. Flag #13 represents the francophone community in which province?
10. Which flag belongs to a Canadian religious organization?

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Ba gur frpbaq
dhrfgvba, vs lbh tnir n qrfpevcgvba bs gur phygheny tebhc, cyrnfr
tb onpx naq fhofgvghgr gurve anzr.

So there were 12 decoys. Decode the rot13 if you'd like to see
what they represent, and in each case identify the flag number
for fun, but for no points.

11. Pnytnel.
12. Pnanqn.
13. Pnanqvna Nezl.
14. Pnanqvna Sbeprf.
15. Senapbcubarf va OP (Senapb-Pbyhzovraf).
16. Senapbcubarf va Bagnevb (Senapb-Bagnevraf).
17. Senapbcubarf va Fnfxngpurjna (Senafnfxbvf).
18. Ybjre Pnanqn "cngevbgf", orsber gur 1837 eroryyvba.
19. Zrgebcbyvgna Gbebagb, orsber 1998.
20. Zv'xznd crbcyr bs Anghndnarx, bgurejvfr xabja nf Rry Tebhaq, AO.

21. Arjsbhaqynaq (habssvpvny synt sbe gur vfynaq be fbzrgvzrf
gur cebivapr).

22. Gur EPZC.

* Game 7, Round 3 - Literature - "Popular" Religious Writers

This round is about authors whose writings on religion (both fiction
and non-fiction) have been aimed at, or crossed over to, the general
public -- or who have otherwise gotten widespread notice. We've tried to
avoid crackpots, inspirational writing, New Age, and, for the most
part, Dan Brown. In all cases, name the writer.

1. This author's reputation, at least within the field of theology,
would have been made if he'd stopped with his influential
1906 book "The Quest of the Historical Jesus". However, he
was also an accomplished organist and music scholar -- and
then he gained wider renown when he became a medical doctor,
and a missionary in Gabon. In 1952 he won the Nobel Peace Prize.

2. This American Trappist monk, who lived 1915-68, wrote over 70
books, the best-known of which is the spiritual autobiography
"The Seven Storey Mountain". A school near Dundas West subway
station is partly named after him.

3. Name the former Catholic nun who left the convent and became a
writer on spiritual subjects, authoring at least two dozen
books on diverse topics, such as biographies of Muhammad and
the Buddha, and a history of the idea of God.

4. This Swiss theologian, academic, and priest has butted heads
with the Vatican throughout his career, eventually losing his
licence to teach Catholic theology but not his priestly vocation.
He is the author of "Does God Exist?" and "On Being a Christian".

5. Though he rejected the label of "Catholic novelist", religious
themes are present throughout many of this writer's works,
such as "The End of the Affair" and "The Power and the Glory".
The latter novel, incidentally, resulted in his being "read
the Riot Act" by the Church for his portrayal of an alcoholic
Mexican priest. Name this British author, who died in 1991.

6. This British writer, who lived 1874-1936, was first an Anglican
and later a Roman Catholic, and was an explicit Christian
apologist. In addition to his theological works, he produced
an impressive body of fiction, including many stories of a
clergyman who was a sometime detective.

7. This Lutheran pastor's writings on the encounter of Christian
faith with secularism have been theologically influential, but
he is perhaps just as well known for his involvement with the
resistance to Nazism and his (at least peripheral) connection
to the 1944 plot on Hitler's life. This led to him being hanged
in 1945, just three weeks before the downfall of the Third Reich.

8. This American psychologist, philosopher, and seeker of mystical
experiences through drug use was the author of the 1902 work
"The Varieties of Religious Experience".

9. This Iranian-American scholar became known for his 2013 book
"Zealot", which argued that what Jesus was working for
was to incite an uprising against Roman authority and the
Jewish priesthood. When the author appeared on Fox News, the
interviewer evinced incredulity that a Muslim could validly
write about Jesus.

10. This American, who died in 1987, followed his bliss and wrote
numerous books on myth, including "The Hero with a Thousand
Faces", which George Lucas credited with influencing his
screenplay for "Star Wars". Dan Brown claims that the character
of Robert Langdon (in "The Da Vinci Code" and other books)
was based on him.

--
Mark Brader | "[Jupiter's] satellites are invisible to the naked eye
Toronto | and therefore can have no influence on the Earth
| and therefore do not exist." -- Francesco Sizi

Marc Dashevsky

Sep 12, 2016, 3:45:45 AM9/12/16
In article <SK-dnSyCyN31qUvK...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 7, Round 3 - Literature - "Popular" Religious Writers
>
> This round is about authors whose writings on religion (both fiction
> and non-fiction) have been aimed at, or crossed over to, the general
> public -- or who have otherwise gotten widespread notice. We've tried to
> avoid crackpots, inspirational writing, New Age, and, for the most
> part, Dan Brown. In all cases, name the writer.
>
> 1. This author's reputation, at least within the field of theology,
> would have been made if he'd stopped with his influential
> 1906 book "The Quest of the Historical Jesus". However, he
> was also an accomplished organist and music scholar -- and
> then he gained wider renown when he became a medical doctor,
> and a missionary in Gabon. In 1952 he won the Nobel Peace Prize.
>
> 2. This American Trappist monk, who lived 1915-68, wrote over 70
> books, the best-known of which is the spiritual autobiography
> "The Seven Storey Mountain". A school near Dundas West subway
> station is partly named after him.
>
> 3. Name the former Catholic nun who left the convent and became a
> writer on spiritual subjects, authoring at least two dozen
> books on diverse topics, such as biographies of Muhammad and
> the Buddha, and a history of the idea of God.
>
> 4. This Swiss theologian, academic, and priest has butted heads
> with the Vatican throughout his career, eventually losing his
> licence to teach Catholic theology but not his priestly vocation.
> He is the author of "Does God Exist?" and "On Being a Christian".
the German guy

> 5. Though he rejected the label of "Catholic novelist", religious
> themes are present throughout many of this writer's works,
> such as "The End of the Affair" and "The Power and the Glory".
> The latter novel, incidentally, resulted in his being "read
> the Riot Act" by the Church for his portrayal of an alcoholic
> Mexican priest. Name this British author, who died in 1991.
Graham Greene

> 6. This British writer, who lived 1874-1936, was first an Anglican
> and later a Roman Catholic, and was an explicit Christian
> apologist. In addition to his theological works, he produced
> an impressive body of fiction, including many stories of a
> clergyman who was a sometime detective.
>
> 7. This Lutheran pastor's writings on the encounter of Christian
> faith with secularism have been theologically influential, but
> he is perhaps just as well known for his involvement with the
> resistance to Nazism and his (at least peripheral) connection
> to the 1944 plot on Hitler's life. This led to him being hanged
> in 1945, just three weeks before the downfall of the Third Reich.
>
> 8. This American psychologist, philosopher, and seeker of mystical
> experiences through drug use was the author of the 1902 work
> "The Varieties of Religious Experience".
William James

> 9. This Iranian-American scholar became known for his 2013 book
> "Zealot", which argued that what Jesus was working for
> was to incite an uprising against Roman authority and the
> Jewish priesthood. When the author appeared on Fox News, the
> interviewer evinced incredulity that a Muslim could validly
> write about Jesus.
>
> 10. This American, who died in 1987, followed his bliss and wrote
> numerous books on myth, including "The Hero with a Thousand
> Faces", which George Lucas credited with influencing his
> screenplay for "Star Wars". Dan Brown claims that the character
> of Robert Langdon (in "The Da Vinci Code" and other books)
> was based on him.
Joseph Campbell

Dan Blum

Sep 12, 2016, 11:09:19 AM9/12/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 2 - Canadiana Geography - Regional, Cultural,
> Sub-Provincial, Organizational, and Just Plain Unofficial Flags

> 1. Which flag on the handout is the ensign of the Royal Canadian
> Air Force?

22

> 2. Flag #5 represents a Canadian cultural group. Which one?

Acadians

> 4. Which flag is for the M?tis Nation of Canada?

18; 2

> 5. Which flag is for the City of Vancouver?

19; 15

> 8. The unofficial flag in picture #9 represents a geographically
> distinct region of a Canadian province. Name the region *or*
> the province.

Quebec; Newfoundland and Labrador

> 9. Flag #13 represents the francophone community in which province?

New Brunswick

> 10. Which flag belongs to a Canadian religious organization?

1; 17

> * Game 7, Round 3 - Literature - "Popular" Religious Writers

> 1. This author's reputation, at least within the field of theology,
> would have been made if he'd stopped with his influential
> 1906 book "The Quest of the Historical Jesus". However, he
> was also an accomplished organist and music scholar -- and
> then he gained wider renown when he became a medical doctor,
> and a missionary in Gabon. In 1952 he won the Nobel Peace Prize.

Schweitzer

> 6. This British writer, who lived 1874-1936, was first an Anglican
> and later a Roman Catholic, and was an explicit Christian
> apologist. In addition to his theological works, he produced
> an impressive body of fiction, including many stories of a
> clergyman who was a sometime detective.

Chesterton

> 7. This Lutheran pastor's writings on the encounter of Christian
> faith with secularism have been theologically influential, but
> he is perhaps just as well known for his involvement with the
> resistance to Nazism and his (at least peripheral) connection
> to the 1944 plot on Hitler's life. This led to him being hanged
> in 1945, just three weeks before the downfall of the Third Reich.

Boenhoffer

> 8. This American psychologist, philosopher, and seeker of mystical
> experiences through drug use was the author of the 1902 work
> "The Varieties of Religious Experience".

William James

> 10. This American, who died in 1987, followed his bliss and wrote
> numerous books on myth, including "The Hero with a Thousand
> Faces", which George Lucas credited with influencing his
> screenplay for "Star Wars". Dan Brown claims that the character
> of Robert Langdon (in "The Da Vinci Code" and other books)
> was based on him.

Campbell

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Sep 13, 2016, 1:07:27 AM9/13/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> * Game 7, Round 2 - Canadiana Geography - Regional, Cultural,
> Sub-Provincial, Organizational, and Just Plain Unofficial Flags
>
> Please see the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/7-2/flags.pdf
>
> 1. Which flag on the handout is the ensign of the Royal Canadian
> Air Force?

> 2. Flag #5 represents a Canadian cultural group. Which one?

French Canadians

> 4. Which flag is for the Métis Nation of Canada?

> 5. Which flag is for the City of Vancouver?

> 6. Which fraternal organization does flag #21 represent?

the Orange Order

> 7. Flag #16 belongs to which Canadian Crown Corporation?

Angkor Wat Corporation :-)

> 8. The unofficial flag in picture #9 represents a geographically
> distinct region of a Canadian province. Name the region *or*
> the province.

Labrador

> 9. Flag #13 represents the francophone community in which province?

New Brunswick

> 10. Which flag belongs to a Canadian religious organization?

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Ba gur frpbaq
> dhrfgvba, vs lbh tnir n qrfpevcgvba bs gur phygheny tebhc, cyrnfr
> tb onpx naq fhofgvghgr gurve anzr.
>
> So there were 12 decoys. Decode the rot13 if you'd like to see
> what they represent, and in each case identify the flag number
> for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Pnytnel.

> 12. Pnanqn.

> 13. Pnanqvna Nezl.

> 14. Pnanqvna Sbeprf.

> 20. Zv'xznd crbcyr bs Anghndnarx, bgurejvfr xabja nf Rry Tebhaq, AO.

> * Game 7, Round 3 - Literature - "Popular" Religious Writers
>
> This round is about authors whose writings on religion (both fiction
> and non-fiction) have been aimed at, or crossed over to, the general
> public -- or who have otherwise gotten widespread notice. We've tried
> to avoid crackpots, inspirational writing, New Age, and, for the most
> part, Dan Brown. In all cases, name the writer.
>
> 1. This author's reputation, at least within the field of theology,
> would have been made if he'd stopped with his influential
> 1906 book "The Quest of the Historical Jesus". However, he
> was also an accomplished organist and music scholar -- and
> then he gained wider renown when he became a medical doctor,
> and a missionary in Gabon. In 1952 he won the Nobel Peace Prize.

Schweitzer

> 2. This American Trappist monk, who lived 1915-68, wrote over 70
> books, the best-known of which is the spiritual autobiography
> "The Seven Storey Mountain". A school near Dundas West subway
> station is partly named after him.

Merton

> 3. Name the former Catholic nun who left the convent and became a
> writer on spiritual subjects, authoring at least two dozen
> books on diverse topics, such as biographies of Muhammad and
> the Buddha, and a history of the idea of God.

Armstrong

> 4. This Swiss theologian, academic, and priest has butted heads
> with the Vatican throughout his career, eventually losing his
> licence to teach Catholic theology but not his priestly vocation.
> He is the author of "Does God Exist?" and "On Being a Christian".

Kung

> 5. Though he rejected the label of "Catholic novelist", religious
> themes are present throughout many of this writer's works,
> such as "The End of the Affair" and "The Power and the Glory".
> The latter novel, incidentally, resulted in his being "read
> the Riot Act" by the Church for his portrayal of an alcoholic
> Mexican priest. Name this British author, who died in 1991.

Greene

> 7. This Lutheran pastor's writings on the encounter of Christian
> faith with secularism have been theologically influential, but
> he is perhaps just as well known for his involvement with the
> resistance to Nazism and his (at least peripheral) connection
> to the 1944 plot on Hitler's life. This led to him being hanged
> in 1945, just three weeks before the downfall of the Third Reich.

Bonhoeffer

> 8. This American psychologist, philosopher, and seeker of mystical
> experiences through drug use was the author of the 1902 work
> "The Varieties of Religious Experience".

James

> 10. This American, who died in 1987, followed his bliss and wrote
> numerous books on myth, including "The Hero with a Thousand
> Faces", which George Lucas credited with influencing his
> screenplay for "Star Wars". Dan Brown claims that the character
> of Robert Langdon (in "The Da Vinci Code" and other books)
> was based on him.

Campbell

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Sep 13, 2016, 5:39:08 AM9/13/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 2 - Canadiana Geography - Regional, Cultural,
> Sub-Provincial, Organizational, and Just Plain Unofficial Flags
>
> Please see the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/7-2/flags.pdf
>
> I have decided to post this round in essentially its original form
> despite the mixture of questions that give the flag number and
> those that ask for the flag number. This means that by reading
> ahead you'll have a bit of extra information on some questions,
> but I think this won't be too damaging. The alternatives would
> have been to regroup the questions according to which way they go
> (making some of them harder) or to require a lot of separate rot13's
> (making it inconvenient).
>
> 1. Which flag on the handout is the ensign of the Royal Canadian
> Air Force?

22

> 2. Flag #5 represents a Canadian cultural group. Which one?
> 3. Flag #7 belongs to which southern Ontario city?

Hamiton

2

> 5. Which flag is for the City of Vancouver?

19

> 6. Which fraternal organization does flag #21 represent?
> 7. Flag #16 belongs to which Canadian Crown Corporation?
>
> 8. The unofficial flag in picture #9 represents a geographically
> distinct region of a Canadian province. Name the region *or*
> the province.

Quebec

> 9. Flag #13 represents the francophone community in which province?

New Brunswick

> 10. Which flag belongs to a Canadian religious organization?

1
G K Chesterton

> 7. This Lutheran pastor's writings on the encounter of Christian
> faith with secularism have been theologically influential, but
> he is perhaps just as well known for his involvement with the
> resistance to Nazism and his (at least peripheral) connection
> to the 1944 plot on Hitler's life. This led to him being hanged
> in 1945, just three weeks before the downfall of the Third Reich.
>
> 8. This American psychologist, philosopher, and seeker of mystical
> experiences through drug use was the author of the 1902 work
> "The Varieties of Religious Experience".
>
> 9. This Iranian-American scholar became known for his 2013 book
> "Zealot", which argued that what Jesus was working for
> was to incite an uprising against Roman authority and the
> Jewish priesthood. When the author appeared on Fox News, the
> interviewer evinced incredulity that a Muslim could validly
> write about Jesus.
>
> 10. This American, who died in 1987, followed his bliss and wrote
> numerous books on myth, including "The Hero with a Thousand
> Faces", which George Lucas credited with influencing his
> screenplay for "Star Wars". Dan Brown claims that the character
> of Robert Langdon (in "The Da Vinci Code" and other books)
> was based on him.

Joseph Campbell

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 13, 2016, 2:40:54 PM9/13/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 7, Round 2 - Canadiana Geography - Regional, Cultural,
> Sub-Provincial, Organizational, and Just Plain Unofficial Flags
> 1. Which flag on the handout is the ensign of the Royal Canadian
> Air Force?

13 looks like likely.

> 2. Flag #5 represents a Canadian cultural group. Which one?

Hispanocanadians

> 3. Flag #7 belongs to which southern Ontario city?

London

8

> 5. Which flag is for the City of Vancouver?

19

> 6. Which fraternal organization does flag #21 represent?

The Orange Brothers

> 8. The unofficial flag in picture #9 represents a geographically
> distinct region of a Canadian province. Name the region *or*
> the province.

Labrador

> 9. Flag #13 represents the francophone community in which province?

I've already said that: The Royal Air Force. OK, OK, I go with New Brunswick

> 10. Which flag belongs to a Canadian religious organization?

1

(Although that flag makes me think: did I miss the news and Canada
conquered Georgia last week?)

Calvin

Sep 13, 2016, 7:05:40 PM9/13/16
On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 2:51:57 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 2 - Canadiana Geography - Regional, Cultural,
> Sub-Provincial, Organizational, and Just Plain Unofficial Flags
>
> Please see the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/7-2/flags.pdf
>
> I have decided to post this round in essentially its original form
> despite the mixture of questions that give the flag number and
> those that ask for the flag number. This means that by reading
> ahead you'll have a bit of extra information on some questions,
> but I think this won't be too damaging. The alternatives would
> have been to regroup the questions according to which way they go
> (making some of them harder) or to require a lot of separate rot13's
> (making it inconvenient).

Thanks for taking the trouble.

> 1. Which flag on the handout is the ensign of the Royal Canadian
> Air Force?

22

> 2. Flag #5 represents a Canadian cultural group. Which one?

Those of French descent

> 3. Flag #7 belongs to which southern Ontario city?

London?

> 4. Which flag is for the Métis Nation of Canada?

11, 12

> 5. Which flag is for the City of Vancouver?

1, 2

> 6. Which fraternal organization does flag #21 represent?
> 7. Flag #16 belongs to which Canadian Crown Corporation?
>
> 8. The unofficial flag in picture #9 represents a geographically
> distinct region of a Canadian province. Name the region *or*
> the province.

Newfoundland, Quebec

> 9. Flag #13 represents the francophone community in which province?

PEI, Manitoba

> 10. Which flag belongs to a Canadian religious organization?

> * Game 7, Round 3 - Literature - "Popular" Religious Writers
>
> This round is about authors whose writings on religion (both fiction
> and non-fiction) have been aimed at, or crossed over to, the general
> public -- or who have otherwise gotten widespread notice. We've tried to
> avoid crackpots, inspirational writing, New Age, and, for the most
> part, Dan Brown. In all cases, name the writer.
>
> 1. This author's reputation, at least within the field of theology,
> would have been made if he'd stopped with his influential
> 1906 book "The Quest of the Historical Jesus". However, he
> was also an accomplished organist and music scholar -- and
> then he gained wider renown when he became a medical doctor,
> and a missionary in Gabon. In 1952 he won the Nobel Peace Prize.

Schweitzer

> 2. This American Trappist monk, who lived 1915-68, wrote over 70
> books, the best-known of which is the spiritual autobiography
> "The Seven Storey Mountain". A school near Dundas West subway
> station is partly named after him.
>
> 3. Name the former Catholic nun who left the convent and became a
> writer on spiritual subjects, authoring at least two dozen
> books on diverse topics, such as biographies of Muhammad and
> the Buddha, and a history of the idea of God.
>
> 4. This Swiss theologian, academic, and priest has butted heads
> with the Vatican throughout his career, eventually losing his
> licence to teach Catholic theology but not his priestly vocation.
> He is the author of "Does God Exist?" and "On Being a Christian".
>
> 5. Though he rejected the label of "Catholic novelist", religious
> themes are present throughout many of this writer's works,
> such as "The End of the Affair" and "The Power and the Glory".
> The latter novel, incidentally, resulted in his being "read
> the Riot Act" by the Church for his portrayal of an alcoholic
> Mexican priest. Name this British author, who died in 1991.

Hardy?

> 6. This British writer, who lived 1874-1936, was first an Anglican
> and later a Roman Catholic, and was an explicit Christian
> apologist. In addition to his theological works, he produced
> an impressive body of fiction, including many stories of a
> clergyman who was a sometime detective.

Chesterton

> 7. This Lutheran pastor's writings on the encounter of Christian
> faith with secularism have been theologically influential, but
> he is perhaps just as well known for his involvement with the
> resistance to Nazism and his (at least peripheral) connection
> to the 1944 plot on Hitler's life. This led to him being hanged
> in 1945, just three weeks before the downfall of the Third Reich.
>
> 8. This American psychologist, philosopher, and seeker of mystical
> experiences through drug use was the author of the 1902 work
> "The Varieties of Religious Experience".

Watson, Skinner

> 9. This Iranian-American scholar became known for his 2013 book
> "Zealot", which argued that what Jesus was working for
> was to incite an uprising against Roman authority and the
> Jewish priesthood. When the author appeared on Fox News, the
> interviewer evinced incredulity that a Muslim could validly
> write about Jesus.
>
> 10. This American, who died in 1987, followed his bliss and wrote
> numerous books on myth, including "The Hero with a Thousand
> Faces", which George Lucas credited with influencing his
> screenplay for "Star Wars". Dan Brown claims that the character
> of Robert Langdon (in "The Da Vinci Code" and other books)
> was based on him.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Sep 13, 2016, 11:51:52 PM9/13/16
Mark Brader:
>> I have decided to post this round in essentially its original form
>> despite the mixture of questions that give the flag number and
>> those that ask for the flag number. This means that by reading
>> ahead you'll have a bit of extra information on some questions,
>> but I think this won't be too damaging. The alternatives would
>> have been to regroup the questions according to which way they go
>> (making some of them harder) or to require a lot of separate rot13's
>> (making it inconvenient).

"Calvin":
> Thanks for taking the trouble.

Taking the trouble to not change it? Any time.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Courtesy, hell. We're programmers not humans."
m...@vex.net | -- S. M. Ryan

Mark Brader

Sep 15, 2016, 4:09:11 AM9/15/16
Mark Brader:

#22. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Calvin.

> 2. Flag #5 represents a Canadian cultural group. Which one?

Acadians. The specific name was required. 4 for Dan Blum.

The Acadians descend from people who were French colonists in what
is now Nova Scotia. After it became a British colony, there was a
period when they were suspected of disloyalty and deported to other
British colonies (unless they successfully hid from the British).
Eventually they were welcomed back, often settling in the other
colonies that are now Atlantic Canada; however, some chose to go to
the French colony of Louisiana, where they became known as "Cajuns".

> 3. Flag #7 belongs to which southern Ontario city?

Hamilton. 4 for Dan Tique.

#17.

#19. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Erland. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 6. Which fraternal organization does flag #21 represent?

Grand Orange Lodge of Canada (any reference to Orangemen or the
Orange Order was acceptable). 4 for Joshua and Erland.

> 7. Flag #16 belongs to which Canadian Crown Corporation?

Royal Canadian Mint. See the M?

> 8. The unofficial flag in picture #9 represents a geographically
> distinct region of a Canadian province. Name the region *or*
> the province.

Labrador, Newfoundland and Labrador. 4 for Joshua and Erland.
3 for Calvin. 2 for Dan Blum.

9. Flag #13 represents the francophone community in which province?

Manitoba. 2 for Calvin.

#1. (Anglican Church of Canada -- the folks who, as you may remember
from the current-events round from Game 9, seem to have some trouble
counting ballots). 4 for Dan Tilque and Erland. 3 for Dan Blum.

Erland wondered if Canada had conquered Georgia (the ex-USSR one)
recently. Well, not that I've heard of.

#6. Joshua got this.

#4. (This was a proposed flag, nicknamed the "Pearson Pennant",
during the process that led up to the present flag being chosen.)
Joshua got this.

#11. Joshua got this.

#3. Joshua got this.

#12.

#18. Note the Ontario trillium logo.

#2. Note the prairie colors.

#14.

#10. Note the six links symbolizing the six municipalities remaining
after 1966.

#8. Joshua got this.

#20.

(Sorry, the parenthetical note should have been included with the
answer, not the question, as with question #12. Editing error when
converting the decoys for use in this medium.)

#15.

> * Game 7, Round 3 - Literature - "Popular" Religious Writers

> This round is about authors whose writings on religion (both fiction
> and non-fiction) have been aimed at, or crossed over to, the general
> public -- or who have otherwise gotten widespread notice. We've tried to
> avoid crackpots, inspirational writing, New Age, and, for the most
> part, Dan Brown. In all cases, name the writer.

This was the hardest round in the original game, and the 6th-hardest
-- or 4th-hardest excluding two audio rounds -- of the entire season.

> 1. This author's reputation, at least within the field of theology,
> would have been made if he'd stopped with his influential
> 1906 book "The Quest of the Historical Jesus". However, he
> was also an accomplished organist and music scholar -- and
> then he gained wider renown when he became a medical doctor,
> and a missionary in Gabon. In 1952 he won the Nobel Peace Prize.

Albert Schweitzer. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Calvin.

> 2. This American Trappist monk, who lived 1915-68, wrote over 70
> books, the best-known of which is the spiritual autobiography
> "The Seven Storey Mountain". A school near Dundas West subway
> station is partly named after him.

Thomas Merton. 4 for Joshua.

(The full name of the school is the "Bishop Marrocco/Thomas Merton
Catholic Secondary School and Regional Arts Centre"!)

> 3. Name the former Catholic nun who left the convent and became a
> writer on spiritual subjects, authoring at least two dozen
> books on diverse topics, such as biographies of Muhammad and
> the Buddha, and a history of the idea of God.

Karen Armstrong. 4 for Joshua.

> 4. This Swiss theologian, academic, and priest has butted heads
> with the Vatican throughout his career, eventually losing his
> licence to teach Catholic theology but not his priestly vocation.
> He is the author of "Does God Exist?" and "On Being a Christian".

Hans Küng. 4 for Joshua.

> 5. Though he rejected the label of "Catholic novelist", religious
> themes are present throughout many of this writer's works,
> such as "The End of the Affair" and "The Power and the Glory".
> The latter novel, incidentally, resulted in his being "read
> the Riot Act" by the Church for his portrayal of an alcoholic
> Mexican priest. Name this British author, who died in 1991.

Graham Greene. 4 for Marc and Joshua.

> 6. This British writer, who lived 1874-1936, was first an Anglican
> and later a Roman Catholic, and was an explicit Christian
> apologist. In addition to his theological works, he produced
> an impressive body of fiction, including many stories of a
> clergyman who was a sometime detective.

G.K. Chesterton. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Calvin.

> 7. This Lutheran pastor's writings on the encounter of Christian
> faith with secularism have been theologically influential, but
> he is perhaps just as well known for his involvement with the
> resistance to Nazism and his (at least peripheral) connection
> to the 1944 plot on Hitler's life. This led to him being hanged
> in 1945, just three weeks before the downfall of the Third Reich.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 8. This American psychologist, philosopher, and seeker of mystical
> experiences through drug use was the author of the 1902 work
> "The Varieties of Religious Experience".

William James. 4 for Marc, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 9. This Iranian-American scholar became known for his 2013 book
> "Zealot", which argued that what Jesus was working for
> was to incite an uprising against Roman authority and the
> Jewish priesthood. When the author appeared on Fox News, the
> interviewer evinced incredulity that a Muslim could validly
> write about Jesus.

Reza Aslan.

> 10. This American, who died in 1987, followed his bliss and wrote
> numerous books on myth, including "The Hero with a Thousand
> Faces", which George Lucas credited with influencing his
> screenplay for "Star Wars". Dan Brown claims that the character
> of Robert Langdon (in "The Da Vinci Code" and other books)
> was based on him.

Joseph Campbell. 4 for Marc, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 7 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Lit
Joshua Kreitzer 16 32 48
Dan Blum 16 20 36
Dan Tilque 16 8 24
"Calvin" 9 8 17
Erland Sommarskog 15 0 15
Marc Dashevsky 0 12 12

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Canada... likes to sit up there looking harmless,
m...@vex.net | like the USA's hat... --Anthony McCarron

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 15, 2016, 7:08:39 AM9/15/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> #19. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Erland. 3 for Dan Blum.
> Orange Order was acceptable). 4 for Joshua and Erland.
> Labrador, Newfoundland and Labrador. 4 for Joshua and Erland.
> counting ballots). 4 for Dan Tilque and Erland. 3 for Dan Blum.
> Erland Sommarskog 15 0 15

How can 4x4 be 15?

Then again, I don't mind only getting three points for my completely made-up
answer about "The Orange Brothers". Hey, I could even accept zero points.

Mark Brader

Sep 15, 2016, 2:29:22 PM9/15/16
Mark Brader:
> > Erland Sommarskog 15 0 15

Erland Sommarskog:
> How can 4x4 be 15?

Maybe there were some errors.

> Then again, I don't mind only getting three points for my completely made-up
> answer about "The Orange Brothers".

I initially gave it a 3, then decided it was close enough for a 4,
and patched the score table by hand to read as shown below. But then
I forgot to incorporate the revised table into the answer posting.

Scores, if there are now now errors:

GAME 7 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Lit
Joshua Kreitzer 16 32 48
Dan Blum 16 20 36
Dan Tilque 16 8 24
"Calvin" 9 8 17
Erland Sommarskog 16 0 16
Marc Dashevsky 0 12 12
--
Mark Brader "He'll spend at least part of his life
Toronto in prison, or parliament, or both."

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 15, 2016, 2:53:16 PM9/15/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> I initially gave it a 3, then decided it was close enough for a 4,

Close enough for a 4? For such a simple stupid guess? Oh well, I guess
I will get it back some time in the future with reduced or no points at
all for some simple stupid spelling error.

Mark Brader

Sep 15, 2016, 3:20:25 PM9/15/16
Mark Brader:
> > I initially gave it a 3, then decided it was close enough for a 4,

Erland Sommarskog:
> Close enough for a 4? For such a simple stupid guess?

Well, if they're going to give themselves a name like Orangemen or
Orange Order, they've got to expect that!

Historically, the Orange Order is an organization of Protestants that
exists for the purpose of supporting their political domination over
Roman Catholics. It was started in the part of Ireland that's now
Northern Ireland and spread to other parts of the British Empire.
It was politically important in Canada into the early 20th century.

> Oh well, I guess I will get it back some time in the future with reduced
> or no points at all for some simple stupid spelling error.

Just you wait. :-)
--
Mark Brader | In order that there may be no doubt as to which is the
Toronto | bottom and which is the top ... the bottom of each

Mark Brader

Sep 15, 2016, 3:32:25 PM9/15/16
Erland Sommarskog:
> > Close enough for a 4? For such a simple stupid guess?

Mark Brader:
> Well, if they're going to give themselves a name like Orangemen or
> Orange Order, they've got to expect that!
>
> Historically, the Orange Order is an organization of Protestants that
> exists for the purpose of supporting their political domination over
> Roman Catholics. It was started in the part of Ireland that's now
> Northern Ireland and spread to other parts of the British Empire.
> It was politically important in Canada into the early 20th century.

I meant to add an explanation of "Orange". Following King Henry VIII's
break with the Roman Catholic Church in about 1530, England had some
Protestant and some Roman Catholic monarchs until 1688. In that year,
in the so-called Glorious Revolution, the Catholic King James II
was deposed and the throne turned over to a Protestant couple,
King William III and Queen Mary II. William was a prince of the
House of Orange in the Netherlands and he's who the Orangemen are
named after.
--
Mark Brader | lying
Toronto | abort reply.