QFTCIMM16 Game 3, Rounds 4,6: rivers, classics of the century

Mark Brader

Dec 23, 2016, 12:35:57 AM12/23/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-03,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 5 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 3, Round 4 - Geography - Gently down the Stream

We name three cities/towns; you name the river that joins them.
Warning: the three cities won't necessarily be the largest or most
famous ones along that river.

1. Basel, Strasbourg, Bonn.
2. Waterloo, Cambridge, Paris.
3. Bismarck, Omaha, Kansas City.
4. Regensburg, Bratislava, Belgrade.
5. Geneva, Lyon, Arles.
6. Prince George, Chilliwack, Maple Ridge.
7. Minneapolis, St. Louis, Memphis.
8. Turin, Piacenza, Cremona.
9. Dresden, Wittenberg, Hamburg.
10. Revelstoke, Portland, Astoria.

* Game 3, Round 6 - Entertainment - Tomorrow's Classics... Maybe

The BBC recently surveyed film critics from around the world and
compiled a list of "the 100 greatest films of the 21st century".
We wondered why they left it so late in the century. But anyway,
we hope these questions on 10 of the Beeb's top 25 will help you
choose what to watch tomorrow night. All answers are movie titles
(in English, even if the movie wasn't).

1. Ranked #25. The BBC started the century early, in 2000, the
year this film was made. Christopher Nolan directs Guy Pearce
and Carrie-Anne Moss in a story about an amnesiac avenger.

2. Ranked #13. P.D. James wrote the novel this 2006 dystopian
vision is based on. Clive Owen's character tries to save
a baby in a world where most women have become infertile.
Alfonso Cuarón directs.

3. Ranked #2. Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung play neighbors drawing
closer, but the real stars are the leading lady's cheongsam
dresses. Wong Kar-Wai directed this 2000 release.

4. Ranked #9. In 2011, writer-director Asghar Farhadi gave us
this tale of marital discord in Iran. The wife (Leila Hatami)
wants to emigrate, the husband (Peyman Moaadi) to stay and see
that his father is cared for.

5. Ranked #3. Paul Thomas Anderson directs and Daniel Day-Lewis
strikes oil. The Washington Post called this 2007 film
"a sprawling, half-mad testament to greed, industry, moral
hypocrisy, and ballyhoo".

6. Ranked #1. In 2001, David Lynch turned a rejected TV pilot
into a feature film starring Naomi Watts and Laura Harring.
It's named for a road in Los Angeles.

7. Ranked #17. In 2006, Guillermo del Toro wrote and directed
this story set partly in Franco's Spain and partly in the
fantasy world of its pre-teen protagonist, Ofelia.

8. Ranked #24. Philip Seymour Hoffman is married to Amy Adams
but still curiously interested in Joaquin Phoenix. Paul Thomas
Anderson directs this 2012 story of a cult called the Cause.

9. Ranked #10. The Coen brothers picked up the 2007 Best Picture
Oscar for this modern-day western starring Josh Brolin as
Llewelyn Moss and Javier Bardem as Anton Chigurh.

10. Ranked #5. Released in 2014 but started a dozen years earlier,
Richard Linklater's film takes Mason from Grade 1 to the end
of high school. Ethan Hawke, Patricia Arquette, and Ellar
Coltrane star.

--
Mark Brader | But I think we can do better next time. (Where the
Toronto | word "we" refers to [those] who do the hard work while

Joshua Kreitzer

Dec 23, 2016, 1:33:17 AM12/23/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:l-OdnSi5lZwqKsHFnZ2dnUU7-
S_N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Geography - Gently down the Stream
>
> We name three cities/towns; you name the river that joins them.
> Warning: the three cities won't necessarily be the largest or most
> famous ones along that river.
>
> 1. Basel, Strasbourg, Bonn.

Rhine

> 2. Waterloo, Cambridge, Paris.

Seine

> 3. Bismarck, Omaha, Kansas City.

Missouri

> 4. Regensburg, Bratislava, Belgrade.

Danube

> 7. Minneapolis, St. Louis, Memphis.

Mississippi

> 9. Dresden, Wittenberg, Hamburg.

Rhine

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Entertainment - Tomorrow's Classics... Maybe
>
> The BBC recently surveyed film critics from around the world and
> compiled a list of "the 100 greatest films of the 21st century".
> We wondered why they left it so late in the century. But anyway,
> we hope these questions on 10 of the Beeb's top 25 will help you
> choose what to watch tomorrow night. All answers are movie titles
> (in English, even if the movie wasn't).
>
> 1. Ranked #25. The BBC started the century early, in 2000, the
> year this film was made. Christopher Nolan directs Guy Pearce
> and Carrie-Anne Moss in a story about an amnesiac avenger.

"Memento"

> 2. Ranked #13. P.D. James wrote the novel this 2006 dystopian
> vision is based on. Clive Owen's character tries to save
> a baby in a world where most women have become infertile.
> Alfonso Cuarón directs.

"Children of Men"

> 3. Ranked #2. Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung play neighbors drawing
> closer, but the real stars are the leading lady's cheongsam
> dresses. Wong Kar-Wai directed this 2000 release.

"In the Mood for Love"

> 4. Ranked #9. In 2011, writer-director Asghar Farhadi gave us
> this tale of marital discord in Iran. The wife (Leila Hatami)
> wants to emigrate, the husband (Peyman Moaadi) to stay and see
> that his father is cared for.

"A Separation"

> 5. Ranked #3. Paul Thomas Anderson directs and Daniel Day-Lewis
> strikes oil. The Washington Post called this 2007 film
> "a sprawling, half-mad testament to greed, industry, moral
> hypocrisy, and ballyhoo".

"There Will Be Blood"

> 6. Ranked #1. In 2001, David Lynch turned a rejected TV pilot
> into a feature film starring Naomi Watts and Laura Harring.
> It's named for a road in Los Angeles.

"Mulholland Dr."

> 7. Ranked #17. In 2006, Guillermo del Toro wrote and directed
> this story set partly in Franco's Spain and partly in the
> fantasy world of its pre-teen protagonist, Ofelia.

"Pan's Labyrinth"

> 8. Ranked #24. Philip Seymour Hoffman is married to Amy Adams
> but still curiously interested in Joaquin Phoenix. Paul Thomas
> Anderson directs this 2012 story of a cult called the Cause.

"The Master"

> 9. Ranked #10. The Coen brothers picked up the 2007 Best Picture
> Oscar for this modern-day western starring Josh Brolin as
> Llewelyn Moss and Javier Bardem as Anton Chigurh.

"No Country for Old Men"

> 10. Ranked #5. Released in 2014 but started a dozen years earlier,
> Richard Linklater's film takes Mason from Grade 1 to the end
> of high school. Ethan Hawke, Patricia Arquette, and Ellar
> Coltrane star.

"Boyhood"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Dec 23, 2016, 3:00:51 AM12/23/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Geography - Gently down the Stream
>
> We name three cities/towns; you name the river that joins them.
> Warning: the three cities won't necessarily be the largest or most
> famous ones along that river.
>
> 1. Basel, Strasbourg, Bonn.

Rhine

> 2. Waterloo, Cambridge, Paris.

Thames ?? (some Ontario river, anyway)

> 3. Bismarck, Omaha, Kansas City.

Missouri

> 4. Regensburg, Bratislava, Belgrade.

Danube

> 5. Geneva, Lyon, Arles.

Rhone

> 6. Prince George, Chilliwack, Maple Ridge.

Fraser

> 7. Minneapolis, St. Louis, Memphis.

Mississippi

> 8. Turin, Piacenza, Cremona.

Po

> 9. Dresden, Wittenberg, Hamburg.

Elbe

> 10. Revelstoke, Portland, Astoria.

Columbia
Sunset Boulevard; Mulholland Drive

(the two default LA streets -- OK, Rodeo Drive too, but I only get two
guesses)

--
Dan Tilque

Gareth Owen

Dec 23, 2016, 3:41:04 AM12/23/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 1. Ranked #25. The BBC started the century early, in 2000, the
> year this film was made. Christopher Nolan directs Guy Pearce
> and Carrie-Anne Moss in a story about an amnesiac avenger.

Memento

> 2. Ranked #13. P.D. James wrote the novel this 2006 dystopian
> vision is based on. Clive Owen's character tries to save
> a baby in a world where most women have become infertile.
> Alfonso Cuarón directs.

Children of Men

> 3. Ranked #2. Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung play neighbors drawing
> closer, but the real stars are the leading lady's cheongsam
> dresses. Wong Kar-Wai directed this 2000 release.

Nope.

> 4. Ranked #9. In 2011, writer-director Asghar Farhadi gave us
> this tale of marital discord in Iran. The wife (Leila Hatami)
> wants to emigrate, the husband (Peyman Moaadi) to stay and see
> that his father is cared for.

Nope. Remember hearing it reviewed on Kermode & Mayo though.

> 5. Ranked #3. Paul Thomas Anderson directs and Daniel Day-Lewis
> strikes oil. The Washington Post called this 2007 film
> "a sprawling, half-mad testament to greed, industry, moral
> hypocrisy, and ballyhoo".

There Will Be Blood (exhibit A in the case for "Paul Thomas Anderson is
a certified genius")

> 6. Ranked #1. In 2001, David Lynch turned a rejected TV pilot
> into a feature film starring Naomi Watts and Laura Harring.
> It's named for a road in Los Angeles.

Mulholland Drive

> 7. Ranked #17. In 2006, Guillermo del Toro wrote and directed
> this story set partly in Franco's Spain and partly in the
> fantasy world of its pre-teen protagonist, Ofelia.

Pan's Labyrinth

> 8. Ranked #24. Philip Seymour Hoffman is married to Amy Adams
> but still curiously interested in Joaquin Phoenix. Paul Thomas
> Anderson directs this 2012 story of a cult called the Cause.

The Master (exhibit A in the case for "Paul Thomas Anderson is an
overrated pretentious hack beloved by critics because he looks like a
film critic")

> 9. Ranked #10. The Coen brothers picked up the 2007 Best Picture
> Oscar for this modern-day western starring Josh Brolin as
> Llewelyn Moss and Javier Bardem as Anton Chigurh.

No Country For Old Men

> 10. Ranked #5. Released in 2014 but started a dozen years earlier,
> Richard Linklater's film takes Mason from Grade 1 to the end
> of high school. Ethan Hawke, Patricia Arquette, and Ellar
> Coltrane star.

Boyhood

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 23, 2016, 2:59:32 PM12/23/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 3, Round 4 - Geography - Gently down the Stream
>
> We name three cities/towns; you name the river that joins them.
> Warning: the three cities won't necessarily be the largest or most
> famous ones along that river.
>
> 1. Basel, Strasbourg, Bonn.

Rhen

> 2. Waterloo, Cambridge, Paris.

Hm, that can't be Europan originals, but be copies somewhere. I know
that there is a Waterloo in Ontario, a Cambridge in Massachuttes and
a Paris in Texas, but it can at most be one of them.

St Lawrence?

> 3. Bismarck, Omaha, Kansas City.

Missouri

> 4. Regensburg, Bratislava, Belgrade.

Donau

> 5. Geneva, Lyon, Arles.

Rhône

> 6. Prince George, Chilliwack, Maple Ridge.

Rio de la Plata. :-)

> 7. Minneapolis, St. Louis, Memphis.

Mississippi

> 8. Turin, Piacenza, Cremona.

Po

> 9. Dresden, Wittenberg, Hamburg.

Elbe

> 10. Revelstoke, Portland, Astoria.

Columbia

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Entertainment - Tomorrow's Classics... Maybe
>
> 3. Ranked #2. Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung play neighbors drawing
> closer, but the real stars are the leading lady's cheongsam
> dresses. Wong Kar-Wai directed this 2000 release.

I believe that I've see this one! But remembering the title? Nope.
In any case, I've only see the English title of this Taiwanese film.

> 9. Ranked #10. The Coen brothers picked up the 2007 Best Picture
> Oscar for this modern-day western starring Josh Brolin as
> Llewelyn Moss and Javier Bardem as Anton Chigurh.

No Country for Old Men

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 23, 2016, 3:03:27 PM12/23/16
Erland Sommarskog (esq...@sommarskog.se) writes:
>> * Game 3, Round 6 - Entertainment - Tomorrow's Classics... Maybe
>>
>> 3. Ranked #2. Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung play neighbors drawing
>> closer, but the real stars are the leading lady's cheongsam
>> dresses. Wong Kar-Wai directed this 2000 release.
>
> I believe that I've see this one! But remembering the title? Nope.
> In any case, I've only see the English title of this Taiwanese film.

Having seen the answer given, I get a recollection of that the same
title was used in Sweden too. (These days, foreign films more often
have an English title here, no matter where they come from, it seems.)

Dan Tilque

Dec 23, 2016, 4:45:39 PM12/23/16
Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>
>> 2. Waterloo, Cambridge, Paris.
>
> Hm, that can't be Europan originals, but be copies somewhere. I know
> that there is a Waterloo in Ontario, a Cambridge in Massachuttes and
> a Paris in Texas, but it can at most be one of them.

Yes, but there's lots of little towns named for European cities,
including many of each of these three names. I've been looking into
foreign cities with American namesakes recently. I've counted well over
200 different names and am not done yet.

One interesting fact is that the American names often retain older
spellings. Here's a list where the usual current English name of a
foreign city does not match the spelling of places named after that
city. Names where the only difference is diacritics were not included.

Angora MN -- Ankara, Turkey
Bagdad AZ -- Baghdad, Iraq
Barnstable MA -- Barnstaple, Devon, England
Breslau TX -- Wroclaw, Poland
Brooklyn NY -- Breukelen, Netherlands (Breukelen has merged with a
couple neighbors, so it's no longer a separate municipality, but that
matches Brooklyn)
Brunswick IN -- Braunschweig, Germany
Burlington MA -- Bridlington, East Yorkshire, England
Cabool MO -- Kabul, Afghanistan
Calcutta OH -- Kolkata, India
Canton OH -- Guangzhou, China
Carthagena OH -- Cartagena, Spain
Cordova AL -- Córdoba, Mexico
Cordova NE -- Córdoba, Spain
Danzig ND -- Gdansk, Poland
Elsinore UT -- Helsingør, Denmark (Shakespearean influence of course)
Framingham MA -- Framlingham, Suffolk, England
Frankfort IL -- Frankfurt, Germany
Hartford CT -- Hertford, Hertfordshire, England
Leipsic OH -- Leipzig, Germany
Lubec ME -- Lübeck, Germany
Manheim PA -- Mannheim, Germany
Monterey MI -- Monterrey, Mexico (the Monterey in CA was not named after
the one in Mexico)
Montpelier VT -- Montpellier, France
Pekin IL -- Beijing, China
Sebastopol CA -- Sevastopol, Ukraine
Strasburg PA -- Strasbourg, France
Tokio TX -- Tokyo, Japan
Upsala MN -- Uppsala, Sweden
Vera Cruz IN -- Veracruz, Mexico

I also skipped any names with -burg/-burgh differences, since those were
usually imposed by fiat of the US Board on Geographic Names. I didn't
include Lyon(s) because I'm not sure if English has dropped the S (it's
in the process, I think). Perhaps the same with Marseille(s), only not
so far along. Another I skipped was Bogata TX, since that was an
outright misspelling of Bogota.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Dec 24, 2016, 12:57:13 AM12/24/16
Erland Sommarskog (copyedited):
> > Hm, that can't be Europan originals, but must be copies
> > somewhere. I know that there is a Waterloo in Ontario, a Cambridge
> > in Massachusetts and a Paris in Texas, but it can at most be one
> > of them.

Indeed. As you might have guessed, the question was actually about
the ones in Ontario.

Dan Tilque:
> Yes, but there's lots of little towns named for European cities,
> including many of each of these three names. I've been looking into
> foreign cities with American namesakes recently. I've counted well over
> 200 different names and am not done yet.

How many namesakes have you found in total?

I think one of the interesting cases is where a sizable city over here
is named for a much less populous place in Britain or elsewhere. Boston,
Portland, and the other Portland come to mind immediately.
--
Mark Brader | "The only thing required for the triumph of darkness
Toronto | is for good men not to call Hydro."

Dan Tilque

Dec 24, 2016, 3:05:29 AM12/24/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> Dan Tilque:
>> Yes, but there's lots of little towns named for European cities,
>> including many of each of these three names. I've been looking into
>> foreign cities with American namesakes recently. I've counted well over
>> 200 different names and am not done yet.
>
> How many namesakes have you found in total?

Haven't counted those, just the number of different cities that have
American namesakes.

> I think one of the interesting cases is where a sizable city over here
> is named for a much less populous place in Britain or elsewhere. Boston,
> Portland, and the other Portland come to mind immediately.

Yes, I have noted some like that and those are two. (Note that the
Portland in England is not a town, but rather a peninsula that they call
an island. It's the Portland in Oregon that's much larger than the one
in Maine.) Others (larger one first):

Abilene TX/KS
Brampton ON/Cumbria, England
Brooklyn/Breukelen
Calgary AB/Scotland
Danbury CT/Essex, England
Edmonton AB/Greater London, England
Lexington KY/MA
Perth, Western Australia/Scotland (metro area only; the city of Perth is
actually smaller)
Richmond VA/Lincolnshire, England
Springfield MA/Essex, England
Stamford CT/Greater London, England
Valparaiso, Chile/Valparaiso de Arriba, Spain

You may want to add New York/York, although New York was actually named
after a person. Lexington MA is possibly named for a Laxton in England
with a population less than 500, so you might consider it a triple.

And for your next question (I can anticipate these things sometimes),
the one with the greatest ratio of populations is probably Calgary.
Don't know this for sure, because the one in Scotland is essentially a
rural area and Wikipedia doesn't give a population for it.

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 24, 2016, 5:37:55 AM12/24/16
Dan Tilque (dti...@frontier.com) writes:
> And for your next question (I can anticipate these things sometimes),
> the one with the greatest ratio of populations is probably Calgary.
> Don't know this for sure, because the one in Scotland is essentially a
> rural area and Wikipedia doesn't give a population for it.

We should not forget Lima!

Lima in Sweden has 398 inhabitants according to Wikipedia. (Or well, one of
them has. For the other, the most recent information given is that there
were 38 farms at the end of the 19th century.)

Of course, most likely the coincidence in name with the Peruvian capital is
incidental.

Mark Brader

Dec 24, 2016, 12:32:28 PM12/24/16
Mark Brader:
> > I think one of the interesting cases is where a sizable city over here
> > is named for a much less populous place in Britain or elsewhere. Boston,
> > Portland, and the other Portland come to mind immediately.

Dan Tilque:
> Yes, I have noted some like that and those are two. (Note that the
> Portland in England is not a town, but rather a peninsula that they call
> an island. It's the Portland in Oregon that's much larger than the one
> in Maine.)

Which in turn is much larger (in population) than the one in England.

> And for your next question (I can anticipate these things sometimes),
> the one with the greatest ratio of populations is probably Calgary.
> Don't know this for sure, because the one in Scotland is essentially a
> rural area...

Huh. I hadn't even heard of it.
--
Mark Brader, | "There is no silver bullet, because not every
Toronto, m...@vex.net | problem is a werewolf." -- Damian Conway

Joe

Dec 24, 2016, 12:42:38 PM12/24/16
On 2016-12-24 17:32:23 +0000, Mark Brader said:

> Mark Brader:
>>> I think one of the interesting cases is where a sizable city over here
>>> is named for a much less populous place in Britain or elsewhere. Boston,
>>> Portland, and the other Portland come to mind immediately.
>
> Dan Tilque:
>> Yes, I have noted some like that and those are two. (Note that the
>> Portland in England is not a town, but rather a peninsula that they call
>> an island. It's the Portland in Oregon that's much larger than the one
>> in Maine.)
>
> Which in turn is much larger (in population) than the one in England.
>
>> And for your next question (I can anticipate these things sometimes),
>> the one with the greatest ratio of populations is probably Calgary.
>> Don't know this for sure, because the one in Scotland is essentially a
>> rural area...
>
> Huh. I hadn't even heard of it.

I live in Holland pop. approx 500.

--
“To err, as they say, is human. To forgive is divine. To err by
withholding your forgiveness until it’s too late is to become divinely

Pete

Dec 24, 2016, 1:52:57 PM12/24/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:l-OdnSi5lZwqKsHFnZ2dnUU7-
S_N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-03,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 5 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Geography - Gently down the Stream
>
> We name three cities/towns; you name the river that joins them.
> Warning: the three cities won't necessarily be the largest or most
> famous ones along that river.
>
> 1. Basel, Strasbourg, Bonn.

Rhine

> 2. Waterloo, Cambridge, Paris.

Seine

> 3. Bismarck, Omaha, Kansas City.

Missouri

> 4. Regensburg, Bratislava, Belgrade.

Danube

> 5. Geneva, Lyon, Arles.

Rhone

> 6. Prince George, Chilliwack, Maple Ridge.

Yukon; Mackenzie

> 7. Minneapolis, St. Louis, Memphis.

Mississippi

> 8. Turin, Piacenza, Cremona.

Po

> 9. Dresden, Wittenberg, Hamburg.

Elbe

> 10. Revelstoke, Portland, Astoria.

Columbia

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Entertainment - Tomorrow's Classics... Maybe
>
> The BBC recently surveyed film critics from around the world and
> compiled a list of "the 100 greatest films of the 21st century".
> We wondered why they left it so late in the century. But anyway,
> we hope these questions on 10 of the Beeb's top 25 will help you
> choose what to watch tomorrow night. All answers are movie titles
> (in English, even if the movie wasn't).
>
> 1. Ranked #25. The BBC started the century early, in 2000, the
> year this film was made. Christopher Nolan directs Guy Pearce
> and Carrie-Anne Moss in a story about an amnesiac avenger.

Captain America

> 2. Ranked #13. P.D. James wrote the novel this 2006 dystopian
> vision is based on. Clive Owen's character tries to save
> a baby in a world where most women have become infertile.
> Alfonso Cuarón directs.

The Handmaid's Tale

> 3. Ranked #2. Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung play neighbors drawing
> closer, but the real stars are the leading lady's cheongsam
> dresses. Wong Kar-Wai directed this 2000 release.

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

> 4. Ranked #9. In 2011, writer-director Asghar Farhadi gave us
> this tale of marital discord in Iran. The wife (Leila Hatami)
> wants to emigrate, the husband (Peyman Moaadi) to stay and see
> that his father is cared for.
>
> 5. Ranked #3. Paul Thomas Anderson directs and Daniel Day-Lewis
> strikes oil. The Washington Post called this 2007 film
> "a sprawling, half-mad testament to greed, industry, moral
> hypocrisy, and ballyhoo".

There Will Be Blood

> 6. Ranked #1. In 2001, David Lynch turned a rejected TV pilot
> into a feature film starring Naomi Watts and Laura Harring.
> It's named for a road in Los Angeles.

Mulholland Drive

> 7. Ranked #17. In 2006, Guillermo del Toro wrote and directed
> this story set partly in Franco's Spain and partly in the
> fantasy world of its pre-teen protagonist, Ofelia.
>
> 8. Ranked #24. Philip Seymour Hoffman is married to Amy Adams
> but still curiously interested in Joaquin Phoenix. Paul Thomas
> Anderson directs this 2012 story of a cult called the Cause.

Raising Arizona

> 9. Ranked #10. The Coen brothers picked up the 2007 Best Picture
> Oscar for this modern-day western starring Josh Brolin as
> Llewelyn Moss and Javier Bardem as Anton Chigurh.
>
> 10. Ranked #5. Released in 2014 but started a dozen years earlier,
> Richard Linklater's film takes Mason from Grade 1 to the end
> of high school. Ethan Hawke, Patricia Arquette, and Ellar
> Coltrane star.

Pete Gayde

Dan Tilque

Dec 24, 2016, 2:27:09 PM12/24/16
Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
>>> I think one of the interesting cases is where a sizable city over here
>>> is named for a much less populous place in Britain or elsewhere. Boston,
>>> Portland, and the other Portland come to mind immediately.
>
> Dan Tilque:
>> Yes, I have noted some like that and those are two. (Note that the
>> Portland in England is not a town, but rather a peninsula that they call
>> an island. It's the Portland in Oregon that's much larger than the one
>> in Maine.)
>
> Which in turn is much larger (in population) than the one in England.

My point was that the one in England is not a city. I was only counting
places named after cities or towns, not geographic features. So as far
as I'm concerned, it's right out.

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Tilque

Dec 24, 2016, 2:58:20 PM12/24/16
Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Dan Tilque (dti...@frontier.com) writes:
>> And for your next question (I can anticipate these things sometimes),
>> the one with the greatest ratio of populations is probably Calgary.
>> Don't know this for sure, because the one in Scotland is essentially a
>> rural area and Wikipedia doesn't give a population for it.
>>

> We should not forget Lima!

I disagree! That place is emminently forgettable.

> Of course, most likely the coincidence in name with the Peruvian capital is
> incidental.

Very much so. The Peruvian Lima is a name derived from a Quechuan word.

There are places in the US named Lima, at least one of which (in Ohio)
is named for the one in Peru. It's pronounced differently though.

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Blum

Dec 25, 2016, 9:31:15 AM12/25/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Geography - Gently down the Stream

> 1. Basel, Strasbourg, Bonn.

Rhine; Main

> 2. Waterloo, Cambridge, Paris.

Missouri; Pecos

> 3. Bismarck, Omaha, Kansas City.

Missouri; Platte

> 4. Regensburg, Bratislava, Belgrade.

Danube

> 5. Geneva, Lyon, Arles.

Rhone

> 6. Prince George, Chilliwack, Maple Ridge.

St. Lawrence

> 7. Minneapolis, St. Louis, Memphis.

Mississippi

> 8. Turin, Piacenza, Cremona.

Tiber; Po

> 9. Dresden, Wittenberg, Hamburg.

Rhine

> 10. Revelstoke, Portland, Astoria.

Thames

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Entertainment - Tomorrow's Classics... Maybe

> 1. Ranked #25. The BBC started the century early, in 2000, the
> year this film was made. Christopher Nolan directs Guy Pearce
> and Carrie-Anne Moss in a story about an amnesiac avenger.

Memento

> 2. Ranked #13. P.D. James wrote the novel this 2006 dystopian
> vision is based on. Clive Owen's character tries to save
> a baby in a world where most women have become infertile.
> Alfonso Cuar?n directs.

City of Men

> 5. Ranked #3. Paul Thomas Anderson directs and Daniel Day-Lewis
> strikes oil. The Washington Post called this 2007 film
> "a sprawling, half-mad testament to greed, industry, moral
> hypocrisy, and ballyhoo".

There Will Be Blood

> 6. Ranked #1. In 2001, David Lynch turned a rejected TV pilot
> into a feature film starring Naomi Watts and Laura Harring.
> It's named for a road in Los Angeles.

Mulholland Drive

> 7. Ranked #17. In 2006, Guillermo del Toro wrote and directed
> this story set partly in Franco's Spain and partly in the
> fantasy world of its pre-teen protagonist, Ofelia.

Pan's Labyrinth

> 9. Ranked #10. The Coen brothers picked up the 2007 Best Picture
> Oscar for this modern-day western starring Josh Brolin as
> Llewelyn Moss and Javier Bardem as Anton Chigurh.

No Country For Old Men

> 10. Ranked #5. Released in 2014 but started a dozen years earlier,
> Richard Linklater's film takes Mason from Grade 1 to the end
> of high school. Ethan Hawke, Patricia Arquette, and Ellar
> Coltrane star.

Boyhood

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Dec 27, 2016, 1:03:47 AM12/27/16
In article <l-OdnSi5lZwqKsHF...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 3, Round 4 - Geography - Gently down the Stream
>
> We name three cities/towns; you name the river that joins them.
> Warning: the three cities won't necessarily be the largest or most
> famous ones along that river.
>
> 1. Basel, Strasbourg, Bonn.
Rhine

> 2. Waterloo, Cambridge, Paris.
> 3. Bismarck, Omaha, Kansas City.
Missouri

> 4. Regensburg, Bratislava, Belgrade.
Danube

> 5. Geneva, Lyon, Arles.
Rhone

> 6. Prince George, Chilliwack, Maple Ridge.
> 7. Minneapolis, St. Louis, Memphis.
Mississippi

> 8. Turin, Piacenza, Cremona.
Po

> 9. Dresden, Wittenberg, Hamburg.
> 10. Revelstoke, Portland, Astoria.
Columbia

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Entertainment - Tomorrow's Classics... Maybe
>
> The BBC recently surveyed film critics from around the world and
> compiled a list of "the 100 greatest films of the 21st century".
> We wondered why they left it so late in the century. But anyway,
> we hope these questions on 10 of the Beeb's top 25 will help you
> choose what to watch tomorrow night. All answers are movie titles
> (in English, even if the movie wasn't).
>
> 1. Ranked #25. The BBC started the century early, in 2000, the
> year this film was made. Christopher Nolan directs Guy Pearce
> and Carrie-Anne Moss in a story about an amnesiac avenger.
Memento

> 2. Ranked #13. P.D. James wrote the novel this 2006 dystopian
> vision is based on. Clive Owen's character tries to save
> a baby in a world where most women have become infertile.
> Alfonso Cuarón directs.
>
> 3. Ranked #2. Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung play neighbors drawing
> closer, but the real stars are the leading lady's cheongsam
> dresses. Wong Kar-Wai directed this 2000 release.
>
> 4. Ranked #9. In 2011, writer-director Asghar Farhadi gave us
> this tale of marital discord in Iran. The wife (Leila Hatami)
> wants to emigrate, the husband (Peyman Moaadi) to stay and see
> that his father is cared for.
>
> 5. Ranked #3. Paul Thomas Anderson directs and Daniel Day-Lewis
> strikes oil. The Washington Post called this 2007 film
> "a sprawling, half-mad testament to greed, industry, moral
> hypocrisy, and ballyhoo".
There Will Be Blood

> 6. Ranked #1. In 2001, David Lynch turned a rejected TV pilot
> into a feature film starring Naomi Watts and Laura Harring.
> It's named for a road in Los Angeles.
Mulholland Drive

> 7. Ranked #17. In 2006, Guillermo del Toro wrote and directed
> this story set partly in Franco's Spain and partly in the
> fantasy world of its pre-teen protagonist, Ofelia.
Pan's Labyrinth

> 8. Ranked #24. Philip Seymour Hoffman is married to Amy Adams
> but still curiously interested in Joaquin Phoenix. Paul Thomas
> Anderson directs this 2012 story of a cult called the Cause.
>
> 9. Ranked #10. The Coen brothers picked up the 2007 Best Picture
> Oscar for this modern-day western starring Josh Brolin as
> Llewelyn Moss and Javier Bardem as Anton Chigurh.
No Country For Old Men

> 10. Ranked #5. Released in 2014 but started a dozen years earlier,
> Richard Linklater's film takes Mason from Grade 1 to the end
> of high school. Ethan Hawke, Patricia Arquette, and Ellar
> Coltrane star.

Mark Brader

Dec 28, 2016, 12:53:36 AM12/28/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-03,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Geography - Gently down the Stream

> We name three cities/towns; you name the river that joins them.
> Warning: the three cities won't necessarily be the largest or most
> famous ones along that river.

This was the 2nd-easiest round in the original game, after the
current-events round.

> 1. Basel, Strasbourg, Bonn.

Rhine. (In Switzerland, France, and Germany respectively.)
4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland, Pete, and Marc. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 2. Waterloo, Cambridge, Paris.

Grand. (Canada: ON.)

> 3. Bismarck, Omaha, Kansas City.

Missouri. (US: ND/NE/KS.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland, Pete,
and Marc. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 4. Regensburg, Bratislava, Belgrade.

Danube. (Germany/Slovakia/Serbia.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque,
Erland, Pete, Dan Blum, and Marc.

> 5. Geneva, Lyon, Arles.

Rhone. (Switzerland/France/France.) 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland,
Pete, Dan Blum, and Marc.

> 6. Prince George, Chilliwack, Maple Ridge.

Fraser. (Canada: BC.) 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 7. Minneapolis, St. Louis, Memphis.

Mississippi. (US: MN/MO/TN.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland,
Pete, Dan Blum, and Marc.

> 8. Turin, Piacenza, Cremona.

Po. (Italy.) 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Pete, and Marc.
2 for Dan Blum.

> 9. Dresden, Wittenberg, Hamburg.

Elbe. (Germany.) 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, and Pete.

> 10. Revelstoke, Portland, Astoria.

Columbia. (Canada: BC. US: OR/OR.) 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland,
Pete, and Marc.

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Entertainment - Tomorrow's Classics... Maybe

> The BBC recently surveyed film critics from around the world and
> compiled a list of "the 100 greatest films of the 21st century".
> We wondered why they left it so late in the century. But anyway,
> we hope these questions on 10 of the Beeb's top 25 will help you
> choose what to watch tomorrow night. All answers are movie titles
> (in English, even if the movie wasn't).

> 1. Ranked #25. The BBC started the century early, in 2000, the
> year this film was made. Christopher Nolan directs Guy Pearce
> and Carrie-Anne Moss in a story about an amnesiac avenger.

"Memento". 4 for Joshua, Gareth, Dan Blum, and Marc.

> 2. Ranked #13. P.D. James wrote the novel this 2006 dystopian
> vision is based on. Clive Owen's character tries to save
> a baby in a world where most women have become infertile.
> Alfonso Cuarón directs.

"Children of Men". 4 for Joshua and Gareth.

> 3. Ranked #2. Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung play neighbors drawing
> closer, but the real stars are the leading lady's cheongsam
> dresses. Wong Kar-Wai directed this 2000 release.

"In the Mood for Love". 4 for Joshua.

> 4. Ranked #9. In 2011, writer-director Asghar Farhadi gave us
> this tale of marital discord in Iran. The wife (Leila Hatami)
> wants to emigrate, the husband (Peyman Moaadi) to stay and see
> that his father is cared for.

"A Separation". 4 for Joshua.

> 5. Ranked #3. Paul Thomas Anderson directs and Daniel Day-Lewis
> strikes oil. The Washington Post called this 2007 film
> "a sprawling, half-mad testament to greed, industry, moral
> hypocrisy, and ballyhoo".

"There will be Blood". 4 for Joshua, Gareth, Pete, Dan Blum,
and Marc.

> 6. Ranked #1. In 2001, David Lynch turned a rejected TV pilot
> into a feature film starring Naomi Watts and Laura Harring.
> It's named for a road in Los Angeles.

"Mulholland Drive". 4 for Joshua, Gareth, Pete, Dan Blum, and Marc.
2 for Dan Tilque.

> 7. Ranked #17. In 2006, Guillermo del Toro wrote and directed
> this story set partly in Franco's Spain and partly in the
> fantasy world of its pre-teen protagonist, Ofelia.

"Pan's Labyrinth". 4 for Joshua, Gareth, Dan Blum, and Marc.

> 8. Ranked #24. Philip Seymour Hoffman is married to Amy Adams
> but still curiously interested in Joaquin Phoenix. Paul Thomas
> Anderson directs this 2012 story of a cult called the Cause.

"The Master". 4 for Joshua and Gareth.

> 9. Ranked #10. The Coen brothers picked up the 2007 Best Picture
> Oscar for this modern-day western starring Josh Brolin as
> Llewelyn Moss and Javier Bardem as Anton Chigurh.

"No Country for Old Men". 4 for Joshua, Gareth, Erland, Dan Blum,
and Marc.

> 10. Ranked #5. Released in 2014 but started a dozen years earlier,
> Richard Linklater's film takes Mason from Grade 1 to the end
> of high school. Ethan Hawke, Patricia Arquette, and Ellar
> Coltrane star.

"Boyhood". 4 for Joshua, Gareth, and Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Sci Geo Ent
Dan Blum 3 36 20 24 83
Joshua Kreitzer 9 16 16 40 81
Dan Tilque 0 40 36 2 78
Marc Dashevsky 0 24 28 20 72
Gareth Owen 0 36 0 32 68
Erland Sommarskog 0 15 32 4 51
Pete Gayde 0 8 32 8 48
Peter Smyth 0 28 -- -- 28
Don Piven 0 28 -- -- 28
"Calvin" 0 11 -- -- 11

--
Mark Brader | "To a security officer the ideal world was one where
Toronto | nobody talked to anyone else... [But] of course...
| in the first place." -- Tom Clancy

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 28, 2016, 4:25:42 AM12/28/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> 10. Revelstoke, Portland, Astoria.
>
> Columbia. (Canada: BC. US: OR/OR.) 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland,
> Pete, and Marc.

OR or OR? Not AND? :-)

(It should of course be OR/WA, but I guess that is what happens when
Mark posts answers closes to midnight.)

Since I only knew Portland and not the other two places, I could not be
sure whether the river in question was Columbia or the Willamette which
is the river you see from downtown. It seemed likely that they would be
asking for the bigger river. (And the bigger Portland!)

Mark Brader

Dec 28, 2016, 4:54:46 AM12/28/16
Mark Brader:
>>> 10. Revelstoke, Portland, Astoria.
>> Columbia. (Canada: BC. US: OR/OR.) ...

Erland Sommarskog:
> (It should of course be OR/WA...)

Not.

!
--
Mark Brader | "But how do you figure out whether the programmer
Toronto | knew what he was doing when you find his code

Dan Tilque

Dec 28, 2016, 5:03:03 AM12/28/16
Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>>> 10. Revelstoke, Portland, Astoria.
>> Columbia. (Canada: BC. US: OR/OR.) 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland,
>> Pete, and Marc.
>
> OR or OR? Not AND? :-)
>
> (It should of course be OR/WA, but I guess that is what happens when
> Mark posts answers closes to midnight.)

Nope, Both Portland and Astoria are in Oregon. Astoria is at the mouth
of the river, but it's on the Oregon side.

> Since I only knew Portland and not the other two places, I could not be
> sure whether the river in question was Columbia or the Willamette which
> is the river you see from downtown. It seemed likely that they would be
> asking for the bigger river. (And the bigger Portland!)

Yes. If they'd wanted to make it difficult, they'd have replaced
Portland with Vancouver. The other Vancouver, which is across the
Columbia from Portland. Everyone would have been guessing the Fraser.
(Well, except me, but my answer was not a guess; that's a local river.)

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 28, 2016, 7:58:55 AM12/28/16
Dan Tilque (dti...@frontier.com) writes:
> Nope, Both Portland and Astoria are in Oregon. Astoria is at the mouth
> of the river, but it's on the Oregon side.

OK. I took Mark's comment as showing where the river flows.

Mark Brader

Dec 28, 2016, 2:25:36 PM12/28/16
Erland Sommarskog:
> I took Mark's comment as showing where the river flows.

Funny how I only mentioned 3 countries along the Danube and 3 states
along the Mississippi, then.
--
Mark Brader "I used to think that the name C++
Toronto was a euphemism for D-."