Calvin's Quiz #402

Calvin

Jul 18, 2015, 6:43:43 PM7/18/15
1 The Hugo Boss fashion house is based in which European country?
2 How many lines are there in a sonnet?
3 Which prolific songwriter's credits include Night and Day and I Got You Under My Skin?
4 Which actress portrayed the character Tracy, who marries James Bond, in the 1969 film On Her Majesty's Secret Service?
5 In the novel and film Fever Pitch which English Premier League football team does the main character support?
6 What are the administrative divisions of Switzerland called?
7 In 1579 the Netherlands achieved independence from which European country?
8 At which game has the actor Omar Sharif represented his country?
9 Which word of Hindi origin refers to one who rides an elephant?
10 Well, I'm running down the road tryin' to loosen my load; I've got seven women on my mind is the first line of which 1972 hit song?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jul 18, 2015, 6:50:02 PM7/18/15
"Calvin":
> 1 The Hugo Boss fashion house is based in which
> European country?

France.

> 2 How many lines are there in a sonnet?

14.

> 3 Which prolific songwriter's credits include Night
> and Day and I Got You Under My Skin?

Porter.

> 4 Which actress portrayed the character Tracy, who
> marries James Bond, in the 1969 film On Her
> Majesty's Secret Service?

Rigg.

> 5 In the novel and film Fever Pitch which English
> Premier League football team does the main character
> support?

Arsenal?

*The* film, indeed. Don't you know that they remade it after
figuring out that the title could only :-) refer to baseball?

> 6 What are the administrative divisions of
> Switzerland called?

Cantons.

> 7 In 1579 the Netherlands achieved independence from
> which European country?

Spain.

> 8 At which game has the actor Omar Sharif
> represented his country?

Bridge.

> 9 Which word of Hindi origin refers to one who rides
> an elephant?

Mahout.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "UNIX make moving not pain
m...@vex.net | but almost pleasure." -- "Housewife", 1941

Chris F.A. Johnson

Jul 18, 2015, 8:08:04 PM7/18/15
On 2015-07-18, Calvin wrote:
> 1 The Hugo Boss fashion house is based in which European country?

Germany

> 2 How many lines are there in a sonnet?

14

> 3 Which prolific songwriter's credits include Night and Day and I Got You Under My Skin?

Cole Porter

> 4 Which actress portrayed the character Tracy, who marries James Bond, in the 1969 film On Her Majesty's Secret Service?

Diana Rigg

> 5 In the novel and film Fever Pitch which English Premier League football team does the main character support?

Manchester United

> 6 What are the administrative divisions of Switzerland called?

Cantons

> 7 In 1579 the Netherlands achieved independence from which European country?

Spain

> 8 At which game has the actor Omar Sharif represented his country?

Bridge

> 9 Which word of Hindi origin refers to one who rides an elephant?

Mahout

> 10 Well, I'm running down the road tryin' to loosen my load; I've got seven women on my mind is the first line of which 1972 hit song?

Take It Easy

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Marc Dashevsky

Jul 19, 2015, 2:19:46 AM7/19/15
In article <ad6cfb4d-4771-48d5...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 The Hugo Boss fashion house is based in which European country?
Germany

> 2 How many lines are there in a sonnet?
14

> 3 Which prolific songwriter's credits include Night and Day and I Got You Under My Skin?
Cole Porter

> 4 Which actress portrayed the character Tracy, who marries James Bond, in the 1969 film On Her Majesty's Secret Service?
> 5 In the novel and film Fever Pitch which English Premier League football team does the main character support?
> 6 What are the administrative divisions of Switzerland called?
cantons

> 7 In 1579 the Netherlands achieved independence from which European country?
Spain

> 8 At which game has the actor Omar Sharif represented his country?
contract bridge

> 9 Which word of Hindi origin refers to one who rides an elephant?
jockey

> 10 Well, I'm running down the road tryin' to loosen my load; I've got seven women on my mind is the first line of which 1972 hit song?
Take It Easy

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 19, 2015, 4:38:11 AM7/19/15
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 The Hugo Boss fashion house is based in which European country?

France

> 2 How many lines are there in a sonnet?

Six

> 5 In the novel and film Fever Pitch which English Premier League
> football team does the main character support?

Arsenal

> 6 What are the administrative divisions of Switzerland called?

Cantons

> 7 In 1579 the Netherlands achieved independence from which European
> country?

Spain

> 8 At which game has the actor Omar Sharif represented his country?

Bridge

Peter Smyth

Jul 19, 2015, 4:06:18 PM7/19/15
Calvin wrote:

> 1 The Hugo Boss fashion house is based in which European country?
France
> 2 How many lines are there in a sonnet?
14
> 3 Which prolific songwriter's credits include Night and Day and I Got
> You Under My Skin?
Cole Porter
> 4 Which actress portrayed the character Tracy, who marries James
> Bond, in the 1969 film On Her Majesty's Secret Service?
Ursula Andress
> 5 In the novel and film Fever Pitch which English Premier League
> football team does the main character support?
Arsenal
> 6 What are the administrative divisions of Switzerland called?
cantons
> 7 In 1579 the Netherlands achieved independence from which European
> country?
Holy Roman Empire
> 8 At which game has the actor Omar Sharif represented his country?
Bridge
> 9 Which word of Hindi origin refers to one who rides an elephant?
>
> 10 Well, I'm running down the road tryin' to loosen my load; I've got
> seven women on my mind is the first line of which 1972 hit song?
Take It Easy

Peter Smyth

Björn Lundin

Jul 19, 2015, 5:35:05 PM7/19/15
7
> 3 Which prolific songwriter's credits include Night and Day and I Got You Under My Skin?
> 4 Which actress portrayed the character Tracy, who marries James Bond, in the 1969 film On Her Majesty's Secret Service?
> 5 In the novel and film Fever Pitch which English Premier League football team does the main character support?
Liverpool?
> 6 What are the administrative divisions of Switzerland called?
Kanton
> 7 In 1579 the Netherlands achieved independence from which European country?
Spain
> 8 At which game has the actor Omar Sharif represented his country?
Polo
> 9 Which word of Hindi origin refers to one who rides an elephant?
Ganesha?
> 10 Well, I'm running down the road tryin' to loosen my load; I've got seven women on my mind is the first line of which 1972 hit song?
>

> cheers,
> calvin

Björn

Dan Tilque

Jul 20, 2015, 3:13:48 AM7/20/15
Calvin wrote:
> 1 The Hugo Boss fashion house is based in which European country?

Germany

(best known for the design of those snazzy SS uniforms)

> 2 How many lines are there in a sonnet?

14

> 3 Which prolific songwriter's credits include Night and Day and I Got You Under My Skin?
> 4 Which actress portrayed the character Tracy, who marries James Bond, in the 1969 film On Her Majesty's Secret Service?
> 5 In the novel and film Fever Pitch which English Premier League football team does the main character support?

Man U ??

> 6 What are the administrative divisions of Switzerland called?

canton

> 7 In 1579 the Netherlands achieved independence from which European country?

Spain

(Although technically it was independence from Philip, the Lord of the
Netherlands, who coincidently happened to also be Philip II of Spain.
But Spain did not own the Netherlands in the way they owned the
Philippines, for example.)

> 8 At which game has the actor Omar Sharif represented his country?

Bridge

> 9 Which word of Hindi origin refers to one who rides an elephant?
> 10 Well, I'm running down the road tryin' to loosen my load; I've got seven women on my mind is the first line of which 1972 hit song?

Take it Easy

--
Dan Tilque

Pete

Jul 21, 2015, 6:16:45 PM7/21/15
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 The Hugo Boss fashion house is based in which European country?

France

> 2 How many lines are there in a sonnet?

7

> 3 Which prolific songwriter's credits include Night and Day and I
> Got You Under My Skin?

Cole Porter

> 4 Which actress portrayed the character
> Tracy, who marries James Bond, in the 1969 film On Her Majesty's
> Secret Service?

Diana Rigg

> 5 In the novel and film Fever Pitch which English
> Premier League football team does the main character support?

Arsenal

> 6 What are the administrative divisions of Switzerland called?

Cantons

> 7 In 1579 the Netherlands achieved independence from which
> European country?

Spain

> 8 At which game has the actor Omar Sharif represented his
> country?

Bridge

> 9 Which word of Hindi origin refers to one who rides an
> elephant?

Pasha

> 10 Well, I'm running down the road tryin' to loosen my
> load; I've got seven women on my mind is the first line of which 1972
> hit song?

Take It Easy

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete

Gareth Owen

Jul 22, 2015, 5:19:20 PM7/22/15
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 The Hugo Boss fashion house is based in which European country?

Germany

> 2 How many lines are there in a sonnet?

12

> 3 Which prolific songwriter's credits include Night and Day and I Got
> You Under My Skin?

Cole Porter

> 4 Which actress portrayed the character Tracy, who marries James Bond,
> in the 1969 film On Her Majesty's Secret Service?

Diana Rigg?

> 5 In the novel and film Fever Pitch which English Premier League
> football team does the main character support?

Arsenal

> 6 What are the administrative divisions of Switzerland called?

Cantons

> 7 In 1579 the Netherlands achieved independence from which European
> country?

Belgium??

> 8 At which game has the actor Omar Sharif represented his country?

Contract Bridge

> 9 Which word of Hindi origin refers to one who rides an elephant?

Mahoot

> 10 Well, I'm running down the road tryin' to loosen my load; I've got
> seven women on my mind is the first line of which 1972 hit song?

Take It Easy

Calvin

Jul 27, 2015, 5:16:00 AM7/27/15
On Sunday, July 19, 2015 at 8:43:43 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 The Hugo Boss fashion house is based in which European country?

Germany
He designed the SS's uniforms. You can't go wrong with black.

> 2 How many lines are there in a sonnet?

14

> 3 Which prolific songwriter's credits include Night and Day and I Got You Under My Skin?

Cole Porter

> 4 Which actress portrayed the character Tracy, who marries James Bond, in the 1969 film On Her Majesty's Secret Service?

Diana Rigg

> 5 In the novel and film Fever Pitch which English Premier League football team does the main character support?

Arsenal

> 6 What are the administrative divisions of Switzerland called?

Cantons
The only question answered correctly by all 9 entrants.

> 7 In 1579 the Netherlands achieved independence from which European country?

Spain
That's something of a simplification. See Dan's answer for a fuller explanation.

> 8 At which game has the actor Omar Sharif represented his country?

Bridge
The question was written before his recent demise.

> 9 Which word of Hindi origin refers to one who rides an elephant?

Mahout

> 10 Well, I'm running down the road tryin' to loosen my load; I've got seven women on my mind is the first line of which 1972 hit song?

Take It Easy
[Eagles]

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 402
1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 9 52 Chris Johnson
1 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 8 45 Gareth Owen
0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 8 47 Mark Brader
1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 7 45 Marc Dashevsky
0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 7 45 Pete Gayde
0 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 1 6 39 Peter Smyth
1 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 6 39 Dan Tilque
0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 4 29 Erland S
0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 2 16 Bjorn Lundin
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
4 5 6 4 5 9 7 8 3 6 57 63%

Congratulations Chris.

cheers,
calvin

Gareth Owen

Jul 28, 2015, 5:56:17 PM7/28/15
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 402
> 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 9 52 Chris Johnson
> 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 8 45 Gareth Owen

FWIW, I got Q5 correct and Q7 wrong.

Also, I know there's 14 lines in a sonnet, but my fingers don't believe me. :)

Calvin

Aug 5, 2015, 5:05:13 AM8/5/15
I had you marked as 0 for Q7, but have corrected Q5 thanks.

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 402
1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 9 52 Chris Johnson
0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 8 46 Mark Brader
1 0 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 1 7 40 Gareth Owen
0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 7 44 Pete Gayde