RQFTCI03 Game 9 Rounds 9-10: alchemy, challenge round

Mark Brader

Feb 15, 2021, 1:55:57 AM2/15/21
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2003-03-17,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

I did not write these rounds.

** Game 9, Round 9 - History - Alchemy

1. The word alchemy originated in Greek, but from what language
did it reenter medieval Europe?

2. One of the oldest alchemical symbols is that of Ouroboros,
a snake adopting an unusual pose. What is the snake doing
in this image? Incidentally, the same image was said to be
significant in a 19th-century chemical discovery.

3. Although he was not the first to expound the notion that all
matter is composed of four elements -- air, earth, fire, and
water -- this Greek philosopher's doctrine on the subject became
normative and indisputable for alchemists for over 2,000 years.
Who?

4. Many alchemists believed that all metals were composed of
the same two, or sometimes three, materials, also described
more abstractly as "principles". Name *any one* of them.

5. A piece of equipment appearing frequently in the laboratories of
alchemists was known as an alembic. This term is sometimes
used to refer to the entire device, sometimes just a part.
What kind of device is it?

6. A 16th-century Swiss alchemist and physician is credited with
insisting that medical treatments be based on observation
and experiment rather than blind adherence to established
authorities. His real name was Theophrastus von Hohenheim,
but by what name is he better known?

7. Some alchemists believed that when a substance was heated or
burned, it gave off an "inflammable principle" that was
simply absorbed by air. Antoine Lavoisier, whose sorry demise
you heard about in last week's game, disproved this theory.
What was this so-called principle called?

8. This 17th-century scientist, who made profound contributions
to mathematics and physics, also spent more than two decades of
his life in the study of alchemy. The economist Keynes, after
acquiring and examining the man's papers, said he "was not the
first of the age of reason. He was the last of the magicians..."
Name the scientist.

9. This alchemical brotherhood, whose first manifesto appeared in
1614, but which claimed to have been founded a couple of
centuries earlier by a German monk, still exists in various
forms today, some of which prefer to concentrate on spiritual
rather than physical transformations. What are they called?

10. This highly influential 20th-century psychologist interpreted
alchemical symbols as describing the development of the human
psyche as it passes through conflict, crisis, and transformation.
Who?

** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge Round

* A. Baseball's Spring Training

A1. Florida has its Grapefruit League. What is the name of
Arizona's equivalent?

A2. Jackie Robinson broke baseball's color barrier during
spring training in 1946. He played for this team, which
was a AAA affiliate of the Brooklyn Dodgers. Give the city
or the team name.

* B. Makeshift Biblical Weapons

B1. Samson was unarmed and had to fight an army of angry
Philistines. So he picked up something he saw lying in the
dust and slew a thousand of them. What did Samson use as
a weapon? Be sufficiently specific for full points.

B2. The Israelite widow Jael got the enemy general Sisera
drunk in her tent and pierced his temple. What did she
use as her weapon?

* C. Special Academy Awards

C1. In 1956, the Academy awarded the first Humanitarian Award
named for this actor and founder of the Motion Picture
Relief Fund.

C2. The Academy """has""" honored this comedic actor, and Oscar
Master of Ceremonies, five times -- with two honorary Oscars,
two special awards, and one <answer C1> Humanitarian Award.
Who?

* D. Canadian Aboriginal Treaties

D1. George III's Royal Proclamation recognized aboriginal
ownership of North American lands that had not been ceded
to or purchased by the Crown. State the year of this Royal
Proclamation, within 5 years.

D2. Starting in 1871, the Crown negotiated 11 treaties with
various First Nations that allowed the Canadian government
to settle and develop land in the west and north. What
collective name are these treaties known by?

* E. Physicists

E1. His 1921 Nobel Prize citation states: "for his services to
Theoretical Physics, and especially for his discovery of
the law of the photoelectric effect". Name him.

E2. Name the Austrian-born physicist who published a paper
in 1877, which stated that a shock wave is produced by the
supersonic motion of a projectile.

* F. Wives of the Great Composers

F1. Robert Schumann married this virtuoso pianist in 1840.
Although a composer herself, she is better known for her
interpretation of Schumann's music and her influence on
his works. Her first name is sufficient. What was it?

F2. Name the composer who wrote and conducted his "Siegfried
Idyll" as a birthday and Christmas present for his second
wife, Cosima, who was a daughter of Franz Liszt.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net | "If the enemy is in range, so are you."

Joshua Kreitzer

Feb 15, 2021, 2:22:14 AM2/15/21
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:V9ydnerHL-5rh7f9nZ2dnUU7-
T3N...@giganews.com:

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - History - Alchemy
>
> 1. The word alchemy originated in Greek, but from what language
> did it reenter medieval Europe?

Arabic

> 2. One of the oldest alchemical symbols is that of Ouroboros,
> a snake adopting an unusual pose. What is the snake doing
> in this image? Incidentally, the same image was said to be
> significant in a 19th-century chemical discovery.

swallowing its tail

> 3. Although he was not the first to expound the notion that all
> matter is composed of four elements -- air, earth, fire, and
> water -- this Greek philosopher's doctrine on the subject became
> normative and indisputable for alchemists for over 2,000 years.
> Who?

Miletus

> 5. A piece of equipment appearing frequently in the laboratories of
> alchemists was known as an alembic. This term is sometimes
> used to refer to the entire device, sometimes just a part.
> What kind of device is it?

distiller

> 6. A 16th-century Swiss alchemist and physician is credited with
> insisting that medical treatments be based on observation
> and experiment rather than blind adherence to established
> authorities. His real name was Theophrastus von Hohenheim,
> but by what name is he better known?

Paracelsus

> 7. Some alchemists believed that when a substance was heated or
> burned, it gave off an "inflammable principle" that was
> simply absorbed by air. Antoine Lavoisier, whose sorry demise
> you heard about in last week's game, disproved this theory.
> What was this so-called principle called?

phlogiston

> 8. This 17th-century scientist, who made profound contributions
> to mathematics and physics, also spent more than two decades of
> his life in the study of alchemy. The economist Keynes, after
> acquiring and examining the man's papers, said he "was not the
> first of the age of reason. He was the last of the magicians..."
> Name the scientist.

Newton

> 9. This alchemical brotherhood, whose first manifesto appeared in
> 1614, but which claimed to have been founded a couple of
> centuries earlier by a German monk, still exists in various
> forms today, some of which prefer to concentrate on spiritual
> rather than physical transformations. What are they called?

Rosicrucians

> 10. This highly influential 20th-century psychologist interpreted
> alchemical symbols as describing the development of the human
> psyche as it passes through conflict, crisis, and transformation.
> Who?

Jung

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Baseball's Spring Training
>
> A1. Florida has its Grapefruit League. What is the name of
> Arizona's equivalent?

Cactus League

> A2. Jackie Robinson broke baseball's color barrier during
> spring training in 1946. He played for this team, which
> was a AAA affiliate of the Brooklyn Dodgers. Give the city
> or the team name.

Montreal

> * B. Makeshift Biblical Weapons
>
> B1. Samson was unarmed and had to fight an army of angry
> Philistines. So he picked up something he saw lying in the
> dust and slew a thousand of them. What did Samson use as
> a weapon? Be sufficiently specific for full points.

jawbone of an ass

> B2. The Israelite widow Jael got the enemy general Sisera
> drunk in her tent and pierced his temple. What did she
> use as her weapon?

tent peg

> * C. Special Academy Awards
>
> C1. In 1956, the Academy awarded the first Humanitarian Award
> named for this actor and founder of the Motion Picture
> Relief Fund.

Jean Hersholt

> C2. The Academy """has""" honored this comedic actor, and Oscar
> Master of Ceremonies, five times -- with two honorary Oscars,
> two special awards, and one <answer C1> Humanitarian Award.
> Who?

Bob Hope

> * D. Canadian Aboriginal Treaties
>
> D1. George III's Royal Proclamation recognized aboriginal
> ownership of North American lands that had not been ceded
> to or purchased by the Crown. State the year of this Royal
> Proclamation, within 5 years.

1765; 1776

> * E. Physicists
>
> E1. His 1921 Nobel Prize citation states: "for his services to
> Theoretical Physics, and especially for his discovery of
> the law of the photoelectric effect". Name him.

Einstein

> E2. Name the Austrian-born physicist who published a paper
> in 1877, which stated that a shock wave is produced by the
> supersonic motion of a projectile.

Mach

> * F. Wives of the Great Composers
>
> F1. Robert Schumann married this virtuoso pianist in 1840.
> Although a composer herself, she is better known for her
> interpretation of Schumann's music and her influence on
> his works. Her first name is sufficient. What was it?

Clara

> F2. Name the composer who wrote and conducted his "Siegfried
> Idyll" as a birthday and Christmas present for his second
> wife, Cosima, who was a daughter of Franz Liszt.

Wagner

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 15, 2021, 1:34:38 PM2/15/21
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 9, Round 9 - History - Alchemy
>
> 1. The word alchemy originated in Greek, but from what language
> did it reenter medieval Europe?

Arabic

> 2. One of the oldest alchemical symbols is that of Ouroboros,
> a snake adopting an unusual pose. What is the snake doing
> in this image? Incidentally, the same image was said to be
> significant in a 19th-century chemical discovery.

It is winding itself upwards on a stick.

> 3. Although he was not the first to expound the notion that all
> matter is composed of four elements -- air, earth, fire, and
> water -- this Greek philosopher's doctrine on the subject became
> normative and indisputable for alchemists for over 2,000 years.
> Who?

Aristotle

> 7. Some alchemists believed that when a substance was heated or
> burned, it gave off an "inflammable principle" that was
> simply absorbed by air. Antoine Lavoisier, whose sorry demise
> you heard about in last week's game, disproved this theory.
> What was this so-called principle called?

Flogiston

> 8. This 17th-century scientist, who made profound contributions
> to mathematics and physics, also spent more than two decades of
> his life in the study of alchemy. The economist Keynes, after
> acquiring and examining the man's papers, said he "was not the
> first of the age of reason. He was the last of the magicians..."
> Name the scientist.

Galilei

> 9. This alchemical brotherhood, whose first manifesto appeared in
> 1614, but which claimed to have been founded a couple of
> centuries earlier by a German monk, still exists in various
> forms today, some of which prefer to concentrate on spiritual
> rather than physical transformations. What are they called?

Grimm

> 10. This highly influential 20th-century psychologist interpreted
> alchemical symbols as describing the development of the human
> psyche as it passes through conflict, crisis, and transformation.
> Who?

Freud

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * E. Physicists
>
> E1. His 1921 Nobel Prize citation states: "for his services to
> Theoretical Physics, and especially for his discovery of
> the law of the photoelectric effect". Name him.

Einstein

> E2. Name the Austrian-born physicist who published a paper
> in 1877, which stated that a shock wave is produced by the
> supersonic motion of a projectile.

Doppler

> F2. Name the composer who wrote and conducted his "Siegfried
> Idyll" as a birthday and Christmas present for his second
> wife, Cosima, who was a daughter of Franz Liszt.

Wagner

Dan Tilque

Feb 15, 2021, 1:38:10 PM2/15/21
On 2/14/21 10:55 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - History - Alchemy
>
> 1. The word alchemy originated in Greek, but from what language
> did it reenter medieval Europe?

Arabic

> 2. One of the oldest alchemical symbols is that of Ouroboros,
> a snake adopting an unusual pose. What is the snake doing
> in this image? Incidentally, the same image was said to be
> significant in a 19th-century chemical discovery.

biting its own tail (and that discovery was the structure of benzene)

> 3. Although he was not the first to expound the notion that all
> matter is composed of four elements -- air, earth, fire, and
> water -- this Greek philosopher's doctrine on the subject became
> normative and indisputable for alchemists for over 2,000 years.
> Who?

Aristotle

> 4. Many alchemists believed that all metals were composed of
> the same two, or sometimes three, materials, also described
> more abstractly as "principles". Name *any one* of them.
>
> 5. A piece of equipment appearing frequently in the laboratories of
> alchemists was known as an alembic. This term is sometimes
> used to refer to the entire device, sometimes just a part.
> What kind of device is it?
>
> 6. A 16th-century Swiss alchemist and physician is credited with
> insisting that medical treatments be based on observation
> and experiment rather than blind adherence to established
> authorities. His real name was Theophrastus von Hohenheim,
> but by what name is he better known?
>
> 7. Some alchemists believed that when a substance was heated or
> burned, it gave off an "inflammable principle" that was
> simply absorbed by air. Antoine Lavoisier, whose sorry demise
> you heard about in last week's game, disproved this theory.
> What was this so-called principle called?

phlogiston

> 8. This 17th-century scientist, who made profound contributions
> to mathematics and physics, also spent more than two decades of
> his life in the study of alchemy. The economist Keynes, after
> acquiring and examining the man's papers, said he "was not the
> first of the age of reason. He was the last of the magicians..."
> Name the scientist.

Newton

> 9. This alchemical brotherhood, whose first manifesto appeared in
> 1614, but which claimed to have been founded a couple of
> centuries earlier by a German monk, still exists in various
> forms today, some of which prefer to concentrate on spiritual
> rather than physical transformations. What are they called?
>
> 10. This highly influential 20th-century psychologist interpreted
> alchemical symbols as describing the development of the human
> psyche as it passes through conflict, crisis, and transformation.
> Who?

Jung

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Baseball's Spring Training
>
> A1. Florida has its Grapefruit League. What is the name of
> Arizona's equivalent?

Cactus League

> A2. Jackie Robinson broke baseball's color barrier during
> spring training in 1946. He played for this team, which
> was a AAA affiliate of the Brooklyn Dodgers. Give the city
> or the team name.
>

> * B. Makeshift Biblical Weapons
>
> B1. Samson was unarmed and had to fight an army of angry
> Philistines. So he picked up something he saw lying in the
> dust and slew a thousand of them. What did Samson use as
> a weapon? Be sufficiently specific for full points.

jawbone of an ass

> B2. The Israelite widow Jael got the enemy general Sisera
> drunk in her tent and pierced his temple. What did she
> use as her weapon?
>

> * C. Special Academy Awards
>
> C1. In 1956, the Academy awarded the first Humanitarian Award
> named for this actor and founder of the Motion Picture
> Relief Fund.
>
> C2. The Academy """has""" honored this comedic actor, and Oscar
> Master of Ceremonies, five times -- with two honorary Oscars,
> two special awards, and one <answer C1> Humanitarian Award.
> Who?

Billy Crystal

> * D. Canadian Aboriginal Treaties
>
> D1. George III's Royal Proclamation recognized aboriginal
> ownership of North American lands that had not been ceded
> to or purchased by the Crown. State the year of this Royal
> Proclamation, within 5 years.

1769

> D2. Starting in 1871, the Crown negotiated 11 treaties with
> various First Nations that allowed the Canadian government
> to settle and develop land in the west and north. What
> collective name are these treaties known by?
>

> * E. Physicists
>
> E1. His 1921 Nobel Prize citation states: "for his services to
> Theoretical Physics, and especially for his discovery of
> the law of the photoelectric effect". Name him.

Einstein

> E2. Name the Austrian-born physicist who published a paper
> in 1877, which stated that a shock wave is produced by the
> supersonic motion of a projectile.

Mach

> * F. Wives of the Great Composers
>
> F1. Robert Schumann married this virtuoso pianist in 1840.
> Although a composer herself, she is better known for her
> interpretation of Schumann's music and her influence on
> his works. Her first name is sufficient. What was it?
>
> F2. Name the composer who wrote and conducted his "Siegfried
> Idyll" as a birthday and Christmas present for his second
> wife, Cosima, who was a daughter of Franz Liszt.

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Feb 15, 2021, 3:02:38 PM2/15/21
Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2003-03-17,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
> may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> I did not write these rounds.
>

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - History - Alchemy
>
> 1. The word alchemy originated in Greek, but from what language
> did it reenter medieval Europe?

French; English
Newton

> 9. This alchemical brotherhood, whose first manifesto appeared in
> 1614, but which claimed to have been founded a couple of
> centuries earlier by a German monk, still exists in various
> forms today, some of which prefer to concentrate on spiritual
> rather than physical transformations. What are they called?

Illuminati

> 10. This highly influential 20th-century psychologist interpreted
> alchemical symbols as describing the development of the human
> psyche as it passes through conflict, crisis, and transformation.
> Who?

Leary; Spock

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Baseball's Spring Training
>
> A1. Florida has its Grapefruit League. What is the name of
> Arizona's equivalent?

Cactus League

> A2. Jackie Robinson broke baseball's color barrier during
> spring training in 1946. He played for this team, which
> was a AAA affiliate of the Brooklyn Dodgers. Give the city
> or the team name.

Montreal

> * B. Makeshift Biblical Weapons
>
> B1. Samson was unarmed and had to fight an army of angry
> Philistines. So he picked up something he saw lying in the
> dust and slew a thousand of them. What did Samson use as
> a weapon? Be sufficiently specific for full points.
>
> B2. The Israelite widow Jael got the enemy general Sisera
> drunk in her tent and pierced his temple. What did she
> use as her weapon?
>

> * C. Special Academy Awards
>
> C1. In 1956, the Academy awarded the first Humanitarian Award
> named for this actor and founder of the Motion Picture
> Relief Fund.

Audrey Hepburn; Jimmy Stewart

> C2. The Academy """has""" honored this comedic actor, and Oscar
> Master of Ceremonies, five times -- with two honorary Oscars,
> two special awards, and one <answer C1> Humanitarian Award.
> Who?

Bob Hope

> * D. Canadian Aboriginal Treaties
>
> D1. George III's Royal Proclamation recognized aboriginal
> ownership of North American lands that had not been ceded
> to or purchased by the Crown. State the year of this Royal
> Proclamation, within 5 years.

1760; 1771

> D2. Starting in 1871, the Crown negotiated 11 treaties with
> various First Nations that allowed the Canadian government
> to settle and develop land in the west and north. What
> collective name are these treaties known by?
>

> * E. Physicists
>
> E1. His 1921 Nobel Prize citation states: "for his services to
> Theoretical Physics, and especially for his discovery of
> the law of the photoelectric effect". Name him.
>
> E2. Name the Austrian-born physicist who published a paper
> in 1877, which stated that a shock wave is produced by the
> supersonic motion of a projectile.

Mach

> * F. Wives of the Great Composers
>
> F1. Robert Schumann married this virtuoso pianist in 1840.
> Although a composer herself, she is better known for her
> interpretation of Schumann's music and her influence on
> his works. Her first name is sufficient. What was it?

Clara

> F2. Name the composer who wrote and conducted his "Siegfried
> Idyll" as a birthday and Christmas present for his second
> wife, Cosima, who was a daughter of Franz Liszt.

Wagner

Pete Gayde

swp

Feb 15, 2021, 7:51:16 PM2/15/21
On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 1:55:57 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net | "If the enemy is in range, so are you."
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

I shall return.

swp, who is in range but not your enemy

Dan Blum

Feb 15, 2021, 8:36:10 PM2/15/21
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - History - Alchemy

> 1. The word alchemy originated in Greek, but from what language
> did it reenter medieval Europe?

Arabic

> 2. One of the oldest alchemical symbols is that of Ouroboros,
> a snake adopting an unusual pose. What is the snake doing
> in this image? Incidentally, the same image was said to be
> significant in a 19th-century chemical discovery.

eating its tail

> 3. Although he was not the first to expound the notion that all
> matter is composed of four elements -- air, earth, fire, and
> water -- this Greek philosopher's doctrine on the subject became
> normative and indisputable for alchemists for over 2,000 years.
> Who?

Aristotle

> 4. Many alchemists believed that all metals were composed of
> the same two, or sometimes three, materials, also described
> more abstractly as "principles". Name *any one* of them.

materia prima

> 6. A 16th-century Swiss alchemist and physician is credited with
> insisting that medical treatments be based on observation
> and experiment rather than blind adherence to established
> authorities. His real name was Theophrastus von Hohenheim,
> but by what name is he better known?

Paracelsus

> 7. Some alchemists believed that when a substance was heated or
> burned, it gave off an "inflammable principle" that was
> simply absorbed by air. Antoine Lavoisier, whose sorry demise
> you heard about in last week's game, disproved this theory.
> What was this so-called principle called?

phlogiston

> 8. This 17th-century scientist, who made profound contributions
> to mathematics and physics, also spent more than two decades of
> his life in the study of alchemy. The economist Keynes, after
> acquiring and examining the man's papers, said he "was not the
> first of the age of reason. He was the last of the magicians..."
> Name the scientist.

Isaac Newton

> 9. This alchemical brotherhood, whose first manifesto appeared in
> 1614, but which claimed to have been founded a couple of
> centuries earlier by a German monk, still exists in various
> forms today, some of which prefer to concentrate on spiritual
> rather than physical transformations. What are they called?

Rosicrucians

> 10. This highly influential 20th-century psychologist interpreted
> alchemical symbols as describing the development of the human
> psyche as it passes through conflict, crisis, and transformation.
> Who?

Jung

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Baseball's Spring Training

> A1. Florida has its Grapefruit League. What is the name of
> Arizona's equivalent?

Cactus League

> * B. Makeshift Biblical Weapons

> B1. Samson was unarmed and had to fight an army of angry
> Philistines. So he picked up something he saw lying in the
> dust and slew a thousand of them. What did Samson use as
> a weapon? Be sufficiently specific for full points.

jawbone of an ass

> B2. The Israelite widow Jael got the enemy general Sisera
> drunk in her tent and pierced his temple. What did she
> use as her weapon?

tent stake

> * C. Special Academy Awards

> C1. In 1956, the Academy awarded the first Humanitarian Award
> named for this actor and founder of the Motion Picture
> Relief Fund.

Jean Hersholt

> C2. The Academy """has""" honored this comedic actor, and Oscar
> Master of Ceremonies, five times -- with two honorary Oscars,
> two special awards, and one <answer C1> Humanitarian Award.
> Who?

Bob Hope

> * D. Canadian Aboriginal Treaties

> D1. George III's Royal Proclamation recognized aboriginal
> ownership of North American lands that had not been ceded
> to or purchased by the Crown. State the year of this Royal
> Proclamation, within 5 years.

1772; 1792

> * E. Physicists

> E1. His 1921 Nobel Prize citation states: "for his services to
> Theoretical Physics, and especially for his discovery of
> the law of the photoelectric effect". Name him.

Albert Einstein

> E2. Name the Austrian-born physicist who published a paper
> in 1877, which stated that a shock wave is produced by the
> supersonic motion of a projectile.

Mach

> * F. Wives of the Great Composers

> F2. Name the composer who wrote and conducted his "Siegfried
> Idyll" as a birthday and Christmas present for his second
> wife, Cosima, who was a daughter of Franz Liszt.

Richard Wagner

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Feb 18, 2021, 12:16:04 AM2/18/21
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2003-03-17,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 9 is over and the winner is JOSHUA KREITZER. Hearty congratulations!

> I did not write these rounds.

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - History - Alchemy

> 1. The word alchemy originated in Greek, but from what language
> did it reenter medieval Europe?

Arabic, like so many words starting in al-. 4 for Joshua, Erland,
Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> 2. One of the oldest alchemical symbols is that of Ouroboros,
> a snake adopting an unusual pose. What is the snake doing
> in this image? Incidentally, the same image was said to be
> significant in a 19th-century chemical discovery.

Eating its own tail. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

The chemist Kekulé was trying to work out the molecular structure of
benzene, and as Dan Tilque remembered, he supposedly was inspired
after dreaming of this image to realize that the molecule is
ring-shaped. There are multiple versions of the story.

> 3. Although he was not the first to expound the notion that all
> matter is composed of four elements -- air, earth, fire, and
> water -- this Greek philosopher's doctrine on the subject became
> normative and indisputable for alchemists for over 2,000 years.
> Who?

Aristotle. 4 for Erland, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> 4. Many alchemists believed that all metals were composed of
> the same two, or sometimes three, materials, also described
> more abstractly as "principles". Name *any one* of them.

Sulfur, mercury, salt.

> 5. A piece of equipment appearing frequently in the laboratories of
> alchemists was known as an alembic. This term is sometimes
> used to refer to the entire device, sometimes just a part.
> What kind of device is it?

A still or retort. I accepted "distiller" as a description.
4 for Joshua.

> 6. A 16th-century Swiss alchemist and physician is credited with
> insisting that medical treatments be based on observation
> and experiment rather than blind adherence to established
> authorities. His real name was Theophrastus von Hohenheim,
> but by what name is he better known?

Paracelsus. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 7. Some alchemists believed that when a substance was heated or
> burned, it gave off an "inflammable principle" that was
> simply absorbed by air. Antoine Lavoisier, whose sorry demise
> you heard about in last week's game, disproved this theory.
> What was this so-called principle called?

Phlogiston. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> 8. This 17th-century scientist, who made profound contributions
> to mathematics and physics, also spent more than two decades of
> his life in the study of alchemy. The economist Keynes, after
> acquiring and examining the man's papers, said he "was not the
> first of the age of reason. He was the last of the magicians..."
> Name the scientist.

Sir Isaac Newton. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Pete, and Dan Blum.

> 9. This alchemical brotherhood, whose first manifesto appeared in
> 1614, but which claimed to have been founded a couple of
> centuries earlier by a German monk, still exists in various
> forms today, some of which prefer to concentrate on spiritual
> rather than physical transformations. What are they called?

The Rosicrucians. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 10. This highly influential 20th-century psychologist interpreted
> alchemical symbols as describing the development of the human
> psyche as it passes through conflict, crisis, and transformation.
> Who?

Carl Jung. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Baseball's Spring Training

> A1. Florida has its Grapefruit League. What is the name of
> Arizona's equivalent?

Cactus League. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Pete, and Dan Blum.

> A2. Jackie Robinson broke baseball's color barrier during
> spring training in 1946. He played for this team, which
> was a AAA affiliate of the Brooklyn Dodgers. Give the city
> or the team name.

Montreal Royals. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

ObMovie: "42" (2013).

> * B. Makeshift Biblical Weapons

> B1. Samson was unarmed and had to fight an army of angry
> Philistines. So he picked up something he saw lying in the
> dust and slew a thousand of them. What did Samson use as
> a weapon? Be sufficiently specific for full points.

Jawbone of an ass. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> B2. The Israelite widow Jael got the enemy general Sisera
> drunk in her tent and pierced his temple. What did she
> use as her weapon?

Tent peg. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> * C. Special Academy Awards

> C1. In 1956, the Academy awarded the first Humanitarian Award
> named for this actor and founder of the Motion Picture
> Relief Fund.

Jean Hersholt. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> C2. The Academy """has""" honored this comedic actor, and Oscar
> Master of Ceremonies, five times -- with two honorary Oscars,
> two special awards, and one <answer C1> Humanitarian Award.
> Who?

Bob Hope. (Still true. He died a few months after the original
game.) 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Dan Blum.

> * D. Canadian Aboriginal Treaties

> D1. George III's Royal Proclamation recognized aboriginal
> ownership of North American lands that had not been ceded
> to or purchased by the Crown. State the year of this Royal
> Proclamation, within 5 years.

1763 (accepting 1758-68). 3 for Joshua and Pete.

> D2. Starting in 1871, the Crown negotiated 11 treaties with
> various First Nations that allowed the Canadian government
> to settle and develop land in the west and north. What
> collective name are these treaties known by?

The Numbered Treaties.

> * E. Physicists

> E1. His 1921 Nobel Prize citation states: "for his services to
> Theoretical Physics, and especially for his discovery of
> the law of the photoelectric effect". Name him.

Albert Einstein. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

Relativity was still a controversial theory at the time, but he could
still have been given the prize later in his life. But he never was,
although he lived until 1955.

> E2. Name the Austrian-born physicist who published a paper
> in 1877, which stated that a shock wave is produced by the
> supersonic motion of a projectile.

Ernst Mach (as in Mach numbers). 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Pete,
and Dan Blum.

> * F. Wives of the Great Composers

> F1. Robert Schumann married this virtuoso pianist in 1840.
> Although a composer herself, she is better known for her
> interpretation of Schumann's music and her influence on
> his works. Her first name is sufficient. What was it?

Clara (Wieck). 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> F2. Name the composer who wrote and conducted his "Siegfried
> Idyll" as a birthday and Christmas present for his second
> wife, Cosima, who was a daughter of Franz Liszt.

Richard Wagner. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Pete, and Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Mis Sci Lit Geo Can His Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 24 28 24 28 22 0 32 43 179
Dan Blum 24 24 21 32 24 4 32 32 168
Dan Tilque 8 12 32 12 4 0 24 16 104
Pete Gayde 12 20 -- -- 21 2 4 27 86
Erland Sommarskog 0 8 24 0 0 0 12 8 52
Stephen Perry -- -- -- -- -- -- 0 0 0

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Gwyneth Paltrow always says I'm a
m...@vex.net | shameless name dropper" -- Roger Ford