QFTCIUA19 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: Non-Fiction, CanBests

Mark Brader

Aug 26, 2019, 12:15:47 AM8/26/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-07-15,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 8, Round 2 - Literature - Non-Fiction

We will give you the title and year of a famous work of non-fiction,
and you give us the author.

1. "The Tipping Point" (2000).
2. "The Selfish Gene" (1976).
3. "The Feminine Mystique" (1963).
4. "Mere Christianity" (1944).
5. "Guns, Germs, and Steel" (1997).
6. "The Beauty Myth" (1990).
7. "Sexual Personae" (1990).
8. "The Dragons of Eden " (1977).
9. "A Room of One's Own" (1929).
10. "Notes From A Small Island " (1995).

* Game 8, Round 3 - Canadiana: Canadian Firsts and Mosts

1. What is Canada's most-visited National Historic Site?

2. In 1921, she became the first woman elected to Canada's House
of Commons. Name her.

3. Which Canadian city ranks as the most educated in the country,
with 31.5% of its adult population having university degrees?

4. What is the most-purchased packaged grocery item in Canada?

5. What is Canada's oldest city?

6. Canada is the largest exporter of what sweet little fruit?
We are also the second-largest producer of them in the world,
so we sell more than we eat.

7. Which city was home to the first North American YMCA?

8. Tim Horton's, as it was then spelled, first opened in 1964,
in what Canadian city?

9. Which city is second in TV production and third for feature
film production in North America, behind Los Angeles and New
York, but ranks first in Canada, and so truly deserves the title
"Hollywood North"?

10. With a route stretching 3.6 km and a running time of over
8 hours, what is the largest single-day parade in North America?

--
Mark Brader "It's okay for us to love our country,
Toronto but we ought to spend most of our time

Joshua Kreitzer

Aug 26, 2019, 12:55:00 AM8/26/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:bpOdnanocqFzwf7AnZ2dnUU7-
fnN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Literature - Non-Fiction
>
> We will give you the title and year of a famous work of non-fiction,
> and you give us the author.
>
> 1. "The Tipping Point" (2000).

Gladwell

> 2. "The Selfish Gene" (1976).

Dawkins

> 3. "The Feminine Mystique" (1963).

Friedan

> 4. "Mere Christianity" (1944).

Lewis

> 6. "The Beauty Myth" (1990).

Wolf

> 7. "Sexual Personae" (1990).

Paglia

> 8. "The Dragons of Eden " (1977).

Sagan

> 9. "A Room of One's Own" (1929).

Woolf

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Canadiana: Canadian Firsts and Mosts
>
> 3. Which Canadian city ranks as the most educated in the country,
> with 31.5% of its adult population having university degrees?

Ottawa

> 5. What is Canada's oldest city?

Quebec City

> 6. Canada is the largest exporter of what sweet little fruit?
> We are also the second-largest producer of them in the world,
> so we sell more than we eat.

cherries

> 9. Which city is second in TV production and third for feature
> film production in North America, behind Los Angeles and New
> York, but ranks first in Canada, and so truly deserves the title
> "Hollywood North"?

Toronto; Vancouver

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Aug 26, 2019, 3:11:30 AM8/26/19
On 8/25/19 9:15 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Literature - Non-Fiction
>
> We will give you the title and year of a famous work of non-fiction,
> and you give us the author.
>
> 1. "The Tipping Point" (2000).
> 2. "The Selfish Gene" (1976).

Dawkins

> 3. "The Feminine Mystique" (1963) > 4. "Mere Christianity" (1944).

C S Lewis

> 5. "Guns, Germs, and Steel" (1997).

Jared Diamond

> 6. "The Beauty Myth" (1990).
> 7. "Sexual Personae" (1990).
> 8. "The Dragons of Eden " (1977).

Carl Sagan

> 9. "A Room of One's Own" (1929).
> 10. "Notes From A Small Island " (1995).

Bill Bryson

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Canadiana: Canadian Firsts and Mosts
>
> 1. What is Canada's most-visited National Historic Site?
>
> 2. In 1921, she became the first woman elected to Canada's House
> of Commons. Name her.
>
> 3. Which Canadian city ranks as the most educated in the country,
> with 31.5% of its adult population having university degrees?

Waterloo

> 4. What is the most-purchased packaged grocery item in Canada?

beer

> 5. What is Canada's oldest city?

Quebec City

> 6. Canada is the largest exporter of what sweet little fruit?
> We are also the second-largest producer of them in the world,
> so we sell more than we eat.

cranberry

> 7. Which city was home to the first North American YMCA?

Winnipeg

> 8. Tim Horton's, as it was then spelled, first opened in 1964,
> in what Canadian city?
>
> 9. Which city is second in TV production and third for feature
> film production in North America, behind Los Angeles and New
> York, but ranks first in Canada, and so truly deserves the title
> "Hollywood North"?

Vancouver

> 10. With a route stretching 3.6 km and a running time of over
> 8 hours, what is the largest single-day parade in North America?

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Aug 26, 2019, 6:18:02 PM8/26/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:bpOdnanocqFzwf7AnZ2dnUU7-
fnN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-07-15,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Literature - Non-Fiction
>
> We will give you the title and year of a famous work of non-fiction,
> and you give us the author.
>
> 1. "The Tipping Point" (2000).

Gladwell

> 2. "The Selfish Gene" (1976).
> 3. "The Feminine Mystique" (1963).
> 4. "Mere Christianity" (1944).
> 5. "Guns, Germs, and Steel" (1997).
> 6. "The Beauty Myth" (1990).
> 7. "Sexual Personae" (1990).
> 8. "The Dragons of Eden " (1977).
> 9. "A Room of One's Own" (1929).
> 10. "Notes From A Small Island " (1995).
>

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Canadiana: Canadian Firsts and Mosts
>
> 1. What is Canada's most-visited National Historic Site?

Plains of Abraham

> 2. In 1921, she became the first woman elected to Canada's House
> of Commons. Name her.
>
> 3. Which Canadian city ranks as the most educated in the country,
> with 31.5% of its adult population having university degrees?

Victoria; Ottawa

> 4. What is the most-purchased packaged grocery item in Canada?
>
> 5. What is Canada's oldest city?

St John

> 6. Canada is the largest exporter of what sweet little fruit?
> We are also the second-largest producer of them in the world,
> so we sell more than we eat.
>
> 7. Which city was home to the first North American YMCA?

Ottawa; Montreal

> 8. Tim Horton's, as it was then spelled, first opened in 1964,
> in what Canadian city?

Toronto; Hamilton

> 9. Which city is second in TV production and third for feature
> film production in North America, behind Los Angeles and New
> York, but ranks first in Canada, and so truly deserves the title
> "Hollywood North"?

Toronto; Vancouver

> 10. With a route stretching 3.6 km and a running time of over
> 8 hours, what is the largest single-day parade in North America?

Pete Gayde

Bruce Bowler

Aug 27, 2019, 10:13:48 AM8/27/19
On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 23:15:42 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-07-15, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2019-01-22
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Literature - Non-Fiction
>
> We will give you the title and year of a famous work of non-fiction,
> and you give us the author.
>
> 1. "The Tipping Point" (2000).
> 2. "The Selfish Gene" (1976).
> 3. "The Feminine Mystique" (1963).

Betty Friedan

> 4. "Mere Christianity" (1944).
> 5. "Guns, Germs, and Steel" (1997).
> 6. "The Beauty Myth" (1990).
> 7. "Sexual Personae" (1990).
> 8. "The Dragons of Eden " (1977).
> 9. "A Room of One's Own" (1929).
> 10. "Notes From A Small Island " (1995).
>

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Canadiana: Canadian Firsts and Mosts
>
> 1. What is Canada's most-visited National Historic Site?
>
> 2. In 1921, she became the first woman elected to Canada's House
> of Commons. Name her.
>
> 3. Which Canadian city ranks as the most educated in the country,
> with 31.5% of its adult population having university degrees?
>
> 4. What is the most-purchased packaged grocery item in Canada?

Bacon

> 5. What is Canada's oldest city?

Quebec City

> 6. Canada is the largest exporter of what sweet little fruit?
> We are also the second-largest producer of them in the world, so we
> sell more than we eat.

Blueberries

> 7. Which city was home to the first North American YMCA?

Montreal

> 8. Tim Horton's, as it was then spelled, first opened in 1964,
> in what Canadian city?

Windsor

> 9. Which city is second in TV production and third for feature
> film production in North America, behind Los Angeles and New York,
> but ranks first in Canada, and so truly deserves the title "Hollywood
> North"?

Toronto

Calvin

Aug 27, 2019, 7:14:25 PM8/27/19
On Monday, August 26, 2019 at 2:15:47 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Literature - Non-Fiction

Great idea for a round!

> 1. "The Tipping Point" (2000).

Gore?

> 2. "The Selfish Gene" (1976).

Dawkins

> 3. "The Feminine Mystique" (1963).

de Bouvoir?

> 4. "Mere Christianity" (1944).
> 5. "Guns, Germs, and Steel" (1997).

Diamond

> 6. "The Beauty Myth" (1990).

Wolf

> 7. "Sexual Personae" (1990).
> 8. "The Dragons of Eden " (1977).
> 9. "A Room of One's Own" (1929).

Woolf?

> 10. "Notes From A Small Island " (1995).

Bryson

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Canadiana: Canadian Firsts and Mosts

Pass

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Aug 29, 2019, 4:47:28 PM8/29/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-07-15,
> see my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Literature - Non-Fiction

> We will give you the title and year of a famous work of non-fiction,
> and you give us the author.

> 1. "The Tipping Point" (2000).

Malcolm Gladwell. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 2. "The Selfish Gene" (1976).

Richard Dawkins. 4 for Joshua, Dan, and Calvin.

> 3. "The Feminine Mystique" (1963).

Betty Friedan. 4 for Joshua and Bruce.

> 4. "Mere Christianity" (1944).

C.S. Lewis. 4 for Joshua.

> 5. "Guns, Germs, and Steel" (1997).

Jared Diamond. 4 for Dan and Calvin.

> 6. "The Beauty Myth" (1990).

Naomi Wolfe. 4 for Joshua and Calvin.

> 7. "Sexual Personae" (1990).

Camille Paglia. 4 for Joshua.

> 8. "The Dragons of Eden " (1977).

Carl Sagan. 4 for Joshua and Dan.

> 9. "A Room of One's Own" (1929).

Virginia Woolf. 4 for Joshua and Calvin.

> 10. "Notes From A Small Island " (1995).

Bill Bryson. 4 for Dan and Calvin.

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Canadiana: Canadian Firsts and Mosts

> 1. What is Canada's most-visited National Historic Site?

The Halifax Citadel.

> 2. In 1921, she became the first woman elected to Canada's House
> of Commons. Name her.

Agnes Macphail.

> 3. Which Canadian city ranks as the most educated in the country,
> with 31.5% of its adult population having university degrees?

Ottawa. 4 for Joshua. 2 for Pete.

> 4. What is the most-purchased packaged grocery item in Canada?

KD or Kraft Dinner (brand of macaroni and cheese).

> 5. What is Canada's oldest city?

The expected answer was St. John's, which first appeared on a map as
early as about 1519 and its site is claimed to have been visited by
John Cabot (Giovanni Caboto) in 1497. But according to a historian
there, the claim is bogus and permanent settlement did not occur
until the 1600s. Meanwhile the first permanent settlement at Quebec
City was in 1604. I have decided to accept either of those answers.
But St. John is right out -- the first permanent settlement *there*
wasn't until 1631. So, 4 for Joshua, Dan, and Bruce.

See:
http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/st-johns
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/any-1.4963623
http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/quebec-city
http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/saint-john

> 6. Canada is the largest exporter of what sweet little fruit?
> We are also the second-largest producer of them in the world,
> so we sell more than we eat.

Blueberries. 4 for Bruce.

> 7. Which city was home to the first North American YMCA?

Montreal. (In 1851.) 4 for Bruce. 2 for Pete.

> 8. Tim Horton's, as it was then spelled, first opened in 1964,
> in what Canadian city?

Hamilton. 2 for Pete.

> 9. Which city is second in TV production and third for feature
> film production in North America, behind Los Angeles and New
> York, but ranks first in Canada, and so truly deserves the title
> "Hollywood North"?

Vancouver. 4 for Dan. 2 for Joshua and Pete.

> 10. With a route stretching 3.6 km and a running time of over
> 8 hours, what is the largest single-day parade in North America?

Toronto Caribbean Carnival. (Accepting the old name, Caribana.)

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Lit Can
Joshua Kreitzer 32 10 42
Dan Tilque 16 8 24
"Calvin" 20 0 20
Bruce Bowler 4 12 16
Pete Gayde 4 8 12

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "X-ray of girl shows bureaucratic mentality"
m...@vex.net | --Globe & Mail, Toronto, January 18, 1988

Mark Brader

Aug 30, 2019, 10:48:29 PM8/30/19
Mark Brader:
> > 4. "Mere Christianity" (1944).
>
> C.S. Lewis. 4 for Joshua.

Also 4 for Dan, whose answer was missed because two questions got
quoted on the same line.

Scores, if there are now no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Lit Can
Joshua Kreitzer 32 10 42
Dan Tilque 20 8 28
"Calvin" 20 0 20
Bruce Bowler 4 12 16
Pete Gayde 4 8 12

--
Mark Brader | "One must scythe the thickets of metaphor
Toronto | if one wishes to harvest the grain of reason."