QFTCISG Game 4, Rounds 2-3: sCandals and borders

Mark Brader

Oct 31, 2017, 1:31:03 AM10/31/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-10-16,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 4, Round 2 - Canadiana History - Scandals

Here's a round on Canadian scandals. Sometimes they involved
lawbreaking and time in the good ol' Graybar Hotel. Other times
it was just bad judgement that led to huge sums of money being
flushed down the toilet.

1. The biggest political corruption in one prairie province's
history erupted during the 1990s. Members of the province's
former ruling party, including cabinet ministers, were jailed
or fined after dummy companies provided receipts for false
expense claims. Name the province.

2. One Atlantic province blew $22,000,000 in the 1980s on a
hydroponic greenhouse to grow cucumbers. Among the problems
was that those cucumbers were more expensive than those already
sold in grocery stores. Name the province.

3. Name the BC premier who was forced to resign in 1991 over
conflict-of-interest charges related to his sale of a
Vancouver-area amusement park called Fantasy Gardens.

4. In the 1960s, a prairie-province government teamed with an
Austrian businessman to build a paper and lumber mill in the
province's north. With little oversight, the Austrian stole
about 1/3 of the $93,000,000 that the province poured into
the project. Name this province.

5. Name the Ontario town where 7 people died in 2000 when E. coli
bacteria contaminated the water supply.

6. Name the Alberta premier forced to resign in 2014 over a series
of spending scandals. They included using government planes
for personal travel and building a private penthouse in a
government building.

7. Scandal erupted at Toronto City Hall between 2001 and 2005 over
the city improperly spending more than $40,000,000 on computer
equipment. Many of the allegations centered on a computer
salesman (who was the brother of a Toronto Maple Leafs player)
and a city councillor. Name either of them.

8. A political scandal was largely blamed for the defeat of David
Peterson's Ontario Liberal government in 1990. A Liberal
insider was eventually jailed for fraud and breach of trust over
illegal contributions to political parties (not just Liberals).
Name that insider, who later wrote a book about the affair,
and two novels.

9. Name the New Brunswick premier charged in 1984 with possession
of marijuana.

10. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
other questions. Arj Oehafjvpx'f ovttrfg svnfpb pnzr va
gur 1970f, jura gur cebivapr oyrj zber guna $20,000,000 ba
qrirybczrag bs n fcbegf pne jvgu thyy-jvat qbbef. Anzr gur pne.

* Game 4, Round 3 - Geography - Around the Borders

First we'll tell you the type of place; then for each question we'll
give you a list of the places that surround it, in clockwise order.
You, of course, must name the place. For example, if we asked
for a US state and said "state of Vermont; provinces of Quebec and
New Brunswick, Canada; Atlantic Ocean", then you would say "Maine".

The first two are about counties of England. (Current ones, that
is, including metropolitan counties.)

1. County of Cornwall; Bristol Channel; county of Somerset; county
of Dorset; English Channel. Hint: its largest city is Plymouth.

2. County of Lancashire; Greater Manchester; county of Cheshire;
Dee Estuary; Irish Sea. Hint: its largest city is Liverpool.

The next two are about provinces of Belgium.

3. A country also named <answer 3>; France; provinces of Namur
and Liège, Belgium.

4. Netherlands; provinces of Limburg, Flemish Brabant, and East
Flanders, Belgium. Hint: it includes Belgium's largest city,
which is also named <answer 4>.

The next two are about states of Germany.

5. State of Brandenburg, Germany. (That is, this state surrounds
the one you want.)

6. Czechia; Austria; Switzerland; states of Baden-Württemberg,
Hesse, Thuringia (Thüringen), and Saxony (Sachsen), Germany.
Hint: it is the country's largest state by area.

The next two are about countries in Asia.

7. China; Tajikistan; Uzbekistan; Kazakhstan.

8. Caspian Sea; Kazakhstan; Uzbekistan; Afghanistan; Iran.

The last two are about seas that are arms of the Mediterranean.
Narrow straits (e.g. between Sardinia and Corsica) and small
islands are omitted from the lists of bordering places.

9. Sardinia; Corsica; Ligurian Sea; mainland Italy; Sicily; Strait
of Sicily; Tunisia; the main Mediterranean Sea.

10. Mainland Italy; Adriatic Sea; Albania; Greece; the main
Mediterranean Sea.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | It is never good to adapt the design to the software;
m...@vex.net | it should be the other way around. --J.A. Durieux

Marc Dashevsky

Oct 31, 2017, 2:52:45 AM10/31/17
In article <t9GdnbQlK9gMl2XE...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
Tajikistan

> 8. Caspian Sea; Kazakhstan; Uzbekistan; Afghanistan; Iran.
Turkmenistan

> The last two are about seas that are arms of the Mediterranean.
> Narrow straits (e.g. between Sardinia and Corsica) and small
> islands are omitted from the lists of bordering places.
>
> 9. Sardinia; Corsica; Ligurian Sea; mainland Italy; Sicily; Strait
> of Sicily; Tunisia; the main Mediterranean Sea.
>
> 10. Mainland Italy; Adriatic Sea; Albania; Greece; the main
> Mediterranean Sea.

---
http://www.avg.com

Dan Blum

Oct 31, 2017, 8:46:21 AM10/31/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Canadiana History - Scandals

> 1. The biggest political corruption in one prairie province's
> history erupted during the 1990s. Members of the province's
> former ruling party, including cabinet ministers, were jailed
> or fined after dummy companies provided receipts for false
> expense claims. Name the province.

Alberta; Manitoba

> 2. One Atlantic province blew $22,000,000 in the 1980s on a
> hydroponic greenhouse to grow cucumbers. Among the problems
> was that those cucumbers were more expensive than those already
> sold in grocery stores. Name the province.

Nova Scotia; Prince Edward Island

> 4. In the 1960s, a prairie-province government teamed with an
> Austrian businessman to build a paper and lumber mill in the
> province's north. With little oversight, the Austrian stole
> about 1/3 of the $93,000,000 that the province poured into
> the project. Name this province.

Manitoba; Saskatchewan

> 10. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> other questions. Arj Oehafjvpx'f ovttrfg svnfpb pnzr va
> gur 1970f, jura gur cebivapr oyrj zber guna $20,000,000 ba
> qrirybczrag bs n fcbegf pne jvgu thyy-jvat qbbef. Anzr gur pne.

DeLorean

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Geography - Around the Borders

> 1. County of Cornwall; Bristol Channel; county of Somerset; county
> of Dorset; English Channel. Hint: its largest city is Plymouth.

Sussex

> 2. County of Lancashire; Greater Manchester; county of Cheshire;
> Dee Estuary; Irish Sea. Hint: its largest city is Liverpool.

Berkshire

> 3. A country also named <answer 3>; France; provinces of Namur
> and Li?ge, Belgium.

Luxembourg

> 4. Netherlands; provinces of Limburg, Flemish Brabant, and East
> Flanders, Belgium. Hint: it includes Belgium's largest city,
> which is also named <answer 4>.

Brussels

> 5. State of Brandenburg, Germany. (That is, this state surrounds
> the one you want.)

Baden-Wurttemburg

> 6. Czechia; Austria; Switzerland; states of Baden-W?rttemberg,
> Hesse, Thuringia (Th?ringen), and Saxony (Sachsen), Germany.
> Hint: it is the country's largest state by area.

Bavaria

> 7. China; Tajikistan; Uzbekistan; Kazakhstan.

Kyrgyzstan

> 8. Caspian Sea; Kazakhstan; Uzbekistan; Afghanistan; Iran.

Tajikistan

> 9. Sardinia; Corsica; Ligurian Sea; mainland Italy; Sicily; Strait
> of Sicily; Tunisia; the main Mediterranean Sea.

Tyrrhenian Sea

> 10. Mainland Italy; Adriatic Sea; Albania; Greece; the main
> Mediterranean Sea.

Tyrrhenian Sea

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Oct 31, 2017, 9:10:53 AM10/31/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:t9GdnbQlK9gMl2XEnZ2dnUU7-
V_N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Canadiana History - Scandals
>
> 1. The biggest political corruption in one prairie province's
> history erupted during the 1990s. Members of the province's
> former ruling party, including cabinet ministers, were jailed
> or fined after dummy companies provided receipts for false
> expense claims. Name the province.

Saskatchewan; Manitoba

> 2. One Atlantic province blew $22,000,000 in the 1980s on a
> hydroponic greenhouse to grow cucumbers. Among the problems
> was that those cucumbers were more expensive than those already
> sold in grocery stores. Name the province.

New Brunswick; Nova Scotia

> 4. In the 1960s, a prairie-province government teamed with an
> Austrian businessman to build a paper and lumber mill in the
> province's north. With little oversight, the Austrian stole
> about 1/3 of the $93,000,000 that the province poured into
> the project. Name this province.

Saskatchewan; Manitoba

> 10. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> other questions. Arj Oehafjvpx'f ovttrfg svnfpb pnzr va
> gur 1970f, jura gur cebivapr oyrj zber guna $20,000,000 ba
> qrirybczrag bs n fcbegf pne jvgu thyy-jvat qbbef. Anzr gur pne.

DeLorean

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Geography - Around the Borders
>
> First we'll tell you the type of place; then for each question we'll
> give you a list of the places that surround it, in clockwise order.
> You, of course, must name the place.
>
> The next two are about provinces of Belgium.
>
> 3. A country also named <answer 3>; France; provinces of Namur
> and Liège, Belgium.

Luxembourg

> 4. Netherlands; provinces of Limburg, Flemish Brabant, and East
> Flanders, Belgium. Hint: it includes Belgium's largest city,
> which is also named <answer 4>.

Antwerp

> The next two are about states of Germany.
>
> 5. State of Brandenburg, Germany. (That is, this state surrounds
> the one you want.)

Berlin

> 6. Czechia; Austria; Switzerland; states of Baden-Württemberg,
> Hesse, Thuringia (Thüringen), and Saxony (Sachsen), Germany.
> Hint: it is the country's largest state by area.

Bavaria

> The next two are about countries in Asia.
>
> 7. China; Tajikistan; Uzbekistan; Kazakhstan.

Kyrgyzstan

> 8. Caspian Sea; Kazakhstan; Uzbekistan; Afghanistan; Iran.

Tajikistan

> The last two are about seas that are arms of the Mediterranean.
> Narrow straits (e.g. between Sardinia and Corsica) and small
> islands are omitted from the lists of bordering places.
>
> 9. Sardinia; Corsica; Ligurian Sea; mainland Italy; Sicily; Strait
> of Sicily; Tunisia; the main Mediterranean Sea.

Tyrrhenian Sea

> 10. Mainland Italy; Adriatic Sea; Albania; Greece; the main
> Mediterranean Sea.

Tyrrhenian Sea

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 31, 2017, 12:19:26 PM10/31/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 4, Round 3 - Geography - Around the Borders
>
> 1. County of Cornwall; Bristol Channel; county of Somerset; county
> of Dorset; English Channel. Hint: its largest city is Plymouth.

Devon

> 3. A country also named <answer 3>; France; provinces of Namur
> and Liège, Belgium.

Luxembourg

> 4. Netherlands; provinces of Limburg, Flemish Brabant, and East
> Flanders, Belgium. Hint: it includes Belgium's largest city,
> which is also named <answer 4>.

Brussels

> 5. State of Brandenburg, Germany. (That is, this state surrounds
> the one you want.)

Belin

> 6. Czechia; Austria; Switzerland; states of Baden-Württemberg,
> Hesse, Thuringia (Thüringen), and Saxony (Sachsen), Germany.
> Hint: it is the country's largest state by area.

Bavaria

> 7. China; Tajikistan; Uzbekistan; Kazakhstan.

Kyrgyzystan

> 8. Caspian Sea; Kazakhstan; Uzbekistan; Afghanistan; Iran.

Turkmenistan

Peter Smyth

Oct 31, 2017, 2:29:39 PM10/31/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Geography - Around the Borders
>
> First we'll tell you the type of place; then for each question we'll
> give you a list of the places that surround it, in clockwise order.
> You, of course, must name the place. For example, if we asked
> for a US state and said "state of Vermont; provinces of Quebec and
> New Brunswick, Canada; Atlantic Ocean", then you would say "Maine".
>
> The first two are about counties of England. (Current ones, that
> is, including metropolitan counties.)
>
> 1. County of Cornwall; Bristol Channel; county of Somerset; county
> of Dorset; English Channel. Hint: its largest city is Plymouth.
Devon
> 2. County of Lancashire; Greater Manchester; county of Cheshire;
> Dee Estuary; Irish Sea. Hint: its largest city is Liverpool.
Merseyside
> The next two are about provinces of Belgium.
>
> 3. A country also named <answer 3>; France; provinces of Namur
> and Liège, Belgium.
Luxembourg
> 4. Netherlands; provinces of Limburg, Flemish Brabant, and East
> Flanders, Belgium. Hint: it includes Belgium's largest city,
> which is also named <answer 4>.
Antwerp
> The next two are about states of Germany.
>
> 5. State of Brandenburg, Germany. (That is, this state surrounds
> the one you want.)
Berlin
> 6. Czechia; Austria; Switzerland; states of Baden-Württemberg,
> Hesse, Thuringia (Thüringen), and Saxony (Sachsen), Germany.
> Hint: it is the country's largest state by area.
Bavaria
> The next two are about countries in Asia.
>
> 7. China; Tajikistan; Uzbekistan; Kazakhstan.
Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan
> 8. Caspian Sea; Kazakhstan; Uzbekistan; Afghanistan; Iran.
Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan
> The last two are about seas that are arms of the Mediterranean.
> Narrow straits (e.g. between Sardinia and Corsica) and small
> islands are omitted from the lists of bordering places.
>
> 9. Sardinia; Corsica; Ligurian Sea; mainland Italy; Sicily; Strait
> of Sicily; Tunisia; the main Mediterranean Sea.
>
> 10. Mainland Italy; Adriatic Sea; Albania; Greece; the main
> Mediterranean Sea.

Peter Smyth

Jason Kreitzer

Nov 2, 2017, 9:36:37 PM11/2/17
On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 1:31:03 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-10-16,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Canadiana History - Scandals
>
> Here's a round on Canadian scandals. Sometimes they involved
> lawbreaking and time in the good ol' Graybar Hotel. Other times
> it was just bad judgement that led to huge sums of money being
> flushed down the toilet.
>
> 1. The biggest political corruption in one prairie province's
> history erupted during the 1990s. Members of the province's
> former ruling party, including cabinet ministers, were jailed
> or fined after dummy companies provided receipts for false
> expense claims. Name the province.
Alberta?

> 2. One Atlantic province blew $22,000,000 in the 1980s on a
> hydroponic greenhouse to grow cucumbers. Among the problems
> was that those cucumbers were more expensive than those already
> sold in grocery stores. Name the province.
Newfoundland and Labrador
> 3. Name the BC premier who was forced to resign in 1991 over
> conflict-of-interest charges related to his sale of a
> Vancouver-area amusement park called Fantasy Gardens.
>
> 4. In the 1960s, a prairie-province government teamed with an
> Austrian businessman to build a paper and lumber mill in the
> province's north. With little oversight, the Austrian stole
> about 1/3 of the $93,000,000 that the province poured into
> the project. Name this province.
Manitoba?
> 5. Name the Ontario town where 7 people died in 2000 when E. coli
> bacteria contaminated the water supply.
Richmond Hills

Dan Tilque

Nov 2, 2017, 11:28:00 PM11/2/17
Ford

> 8. A political scandal was largely blamed for the defeat of David
> Peterson's Ontario Liberal government in 1990. A Liberal
> insider was eventually jailed for fraud and breach of trust over
> illegal contributions to political parties (not just Liberals).
> Name that insider, who later wrote a book about the affair,
> and two novels.
>
> 9. Name the New Brunswick premier charged in 1984 with possession
> of marijuana.
>
> 10. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> other questions. Arj Oehafjvpx'f ovttrfg svnfpb pnzr va
> gur 1970f, jura gur cebivapr oyrj zber guna $20,000,000 ba
> qrirybczrag bs n fcbegf pne jvgu thyy-jvat qbbef. Anzr gur pne.
>
> * Game 4, Round 3 - Geography - Around the Borders
>
> First we'll tell you the type of place; then for each question we'll
> give you a list of the places that surround it, in clockwise order.
> You, of course, must name the place. For example, if we asked
> for a US state and said "state of Vermont; provinces of Quebec and
> New Brunswick, Canada; Atlantic Ocean", then you would say "Maine".
>
> The first two are about counties of England. (Current ones, that
> is, including metropolitan counties.)
>
> 1. County of Cornwall; Bristol Channel; county of Somerset; county
> of Dorset; English Channel. Hint: its largest city is Plymouth.

Devon

> 2. County of Lancashire; Greater Manchester; county of Cheshire;
> Dee Estuary; Irish Sea. Hint: its largest city is Liverpool.

Merseyside

> The next two are about provinces of Belgium.
>
> 3. A country also named <answer 3>; France; provinces of Namur
> and Liège, Belgium.

Luxembourg

> 4. Netherlands; provinces of Limburg, Flemish Brabant, and East
> Flanders, Belgium. Hint: it includes Belgium's largest city,
> which is also named <answer 4>.

Brussels

> The next two are about states of Germany.
>
> 5. State of Brandenburg, Germany. (That is, this state surrounds
> the one you want.)

Berlin

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Nov 3, 2017, 12:37:11 AM11/3/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:t9GdnbQlK9gMl2XEnZ2dnUU7-
V_N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-10-16,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Canadiana History - Scandals
>
> Here's a round on Canadian scandals. Sometimes they involved
> lawbreaking and time in the good ol' Graybar Hotel. Other times
> it was just bad judgement that led to huge sums of money being
> flushed down the toilet.
>
> 1. The biggest political corruption in one prairie province's
> history erupted during the 1990s. Members of the province's
> former ruling party, including cabinet ministers, were jailed
> or fined after dummy companies provided receipts for false
> expense claims. Name the province.

Saskatchewan; Manitoba

> 2. One Atlantic province blew $22,000,000 in the 1980s on a
> hydroponic greenhouse to grow cucumbers. Among the problems
> was that those cucumbers were more expensive than those already
> sold in grocery stores. Name the province.

New Brunswick; Nova Scotia

> 3. Name the BC premier who was forced to resign in 1991 over
> conflict-of-interest charges related to his sale of a
> Vancouver-area amusement park called Fantasy Gardens.
>
> 4. In the 1960s, a prairie-province government teamed with an
> Austrian businessman to build a paper and lumber mill in the
> province's north. With little oversight, the Austrian stole
> about 1/3 of the $93,000,000 that the province poured into
> the project. Name this province.

Alberta; Saskatchewan

> 5. Name the Ontario town where 7 people died in 2000 when E. coli
> bacteria contaminated the water supply.

London; Kitchener

> 6. Name the Alberta premier forced to resign in 2014 over a series
> of spending scandals. They included using government planes
> for personal travel and building a private penthouse in a
> government building.
>
> 7. Scandal erupted at Toronto City Hall between 2001 and 2005 over
> the city improperly spending more than $40,000,000 on computer
> equipment. Many of the allegations centered on a computer
> salesman (who was the brother of a Toronto Maple Leafs player)
> and a city councillor. Name either of them.
>
> 8. A political scandal was largely blamed for the defeat of David
> Peterson's Ontario Liberal government in 1990. A Liberal
> insider was eventually jailed for fraud and breach of trust over
> illegal contributions to political parties (not just Liberals).
> Name that insider, who later wrote a book about the affair,
> and two novels.
>
> 9. Name the New Brunswick premier charged in 1984 with possession
> of marijuana.
>
> 10. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> other questions. Arj Oehafjvpx'f ovttrfg svnfpb pnzr va
> gur 1970f, jura gur cebivapr oyrj zber guna $20,000,000 ba
> qrirybczrag bs n fcbegf pne jvgu thyy-jvat qbbef. Anzr gur pne.

Delorean

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Geography - Around the Borders
>
> First we'll tell you the type of place; then for each question we'll
> give you a list of the places that surround it, in clockwise order.
> You, of course, must name the place. For example, if we asked
> for a US state and said "state of Vermont; provinces of Quebec and
> New Brunswick, Canada; Atlantic Ocean", then you would say "Maine".
>
> The first two are about counties of England. (Current ones, that
> is, including metropolitan counties.)
>
> 1. County of Cornwall; Bristol Channel; county of Somerset; county
> of Dorset; English Channel. Hint: its largest city is Plymouth.
>
> 2. County of Lancashire; Greater Manchester; county of Cheshire;
> Dee Estuary; Irish Sea. Hint: its largest city is Liverpool.
>
> The next two are about provinces of Belgium.
>
> 3. A country also named <answer 3>; France; provinces of Namur
> and Liège, Belgium.

Luxembourg

> 4. Netherlands; provinces of Limburg, Flemish Brabant, and East
> Flanders, Belgium. Hint: it includes Belgium's largest city,
> which is also named <answer 4>.

Antwerp

> The next two are about states of Germany.
>
> 5. State of Brandenburg, Germany. (That is, this state surrounds
> the one you want.)

Berlin

> 6. Czechia; Austria; Switzerland; states of Baden-Württemberg,
> Hesse, Thuringia (Thüringen), and Saxony (Sachsen), Germany.
> Hint: it is the country's largest state by area.

Bavaria

> The next two are about countries in Asia.
>
> 7. China; Tajikistan; Uzbekistan; Kazakhstan.

Kyrgyzstan

> 8. Caspian Sea; Kazakhstan; Uzbekistan; Afghanistan; Iran.

Turkmenistan

> The last two are about seas that are arms of the Mediterranean.
> Narrow straits (e.g. between Sardinia and Corsica) and small
> islands are omitted from the lists of bordering places.
>
> 9. Sardinia; Corsica; Ligurian Sea; mainland Italy; Sicily; Strait
> of Sicily; Tunisia; the main Mediterranean Sea.
>
> 10. Mainland Italy; Adriatic Sea; Albania; Greece; the main
> Mediterranean Sea.

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Nov 3, 2017, 3:00:07 AM11/3/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-10-16,
> see my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Canadiana History - Scandals

> Here's a round on Canadian scandals. Sometimes they involved
> lawbreaking and time in the good ol' Graybar Hotel. Other times
> it was just bad judgement that led to huge sums of money being
> flushed down the toilet.

> 1. The biggest political corruption in one prairie province's
> history erupted during the 1990s. Members of the province's
> former ruling party, including cabinet ministers, were jailed
> or fined after dummy companies provided receipts for false
> expense claims. Name the province.

Saskatchewan. (Grant Devine's government, PC.) 3 for Joshua
and Pete.

> 2. One Atlantic province blew $22,000,000 in the 1980s on a
> hydroponic greenhouse to grow cucumbers. Among the problems
> was that those cucumbers were more expensive than those already
> sold in grocery stores. Name the province.

Newfoundland (accepting its later name, Newfoundland & Labrador).
(Brian Peckford's government, PC; greenhouse by Sprung Enviroponics.)
4 for Jason.

> 3. Name the BC premier who was forced to resign in 1991 over
> conflict-of-interest charges related to his sale of a
> Vancouver-area amusement park called Fantasy Gardens.

Bill Vander Zalm (SC).

> 4. In the 1960s, a prairie-province government teamed with an
> Austrian businessman to build a paper and lumber mill in the
> province's north. With little oversight, the Austrian stole
> about 1/3 of the $93,000,000 that the province poured into
> the project. Name this province.

Manitoba. (Duff Roblin's government, PC; Alexander Kasser; Churchill
Forest Industries mill, The Pas.) 4 for Jason. 3 for Dan Blum.
2 for Joshua.

> 5. Name the Ontario town where 7 people died in 2000 when E. coli
> bacteria contaminated the water supply.

Walkerton.

About half the town's population got sick. They had hired a man
to run the water system who was better at finding ways to avoid the
trouble of doing the mandatory water-safety tests than at actually
doing them. Mike Harris's PC provincial government was blamed for
lax oversight and this helped the party lose the next election.

> 6. Name the Alberta premier forced to resign in 2014 over a series
> of spending scandals. They included using government planes
> for personal travel and building a private penthouse in a
> government building.

Allison Redford, PC.

> 7. Scandal erupted at Toronto City Hall between 2001 and 2005 over
> the city improperly spending more than $40,000,000 on computer
> equipment. Many of the allegations centered on a computer
> salesman (who was the brother of a Toronto Maple Leafs player)
> and a city councillor. Name either of them.

Dash Domi (brother of Tie), Tom Jakobek.

> 8. A political scandal was largely blamed for the defeat of David
> Peterson's Ontario Liberal government in 1990. A Liberal
> insider was eventually jailed for fraud and breach of trust over
> illegal contributions to political parties (not just Liberals).
> Name that insider, who later wrote a book about the affair,
> and two novels.

Patricia (Patti) Starr.

> 9. Name the New Brunswick premier charged in 1984 with possession
> of marijuana.

Richard Hatfield, PC.

> 10. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with the
> other questions. New Brunswick's biggest fiasco came in
> the 1970s, when the province blew more than $20,000,000 on
> development of a sports car with gull-wing doors. Name the car.

The Bricklin (SV-1). (Hatfield's government.)

According to a 2012 news report, Canada Post later issued a stamp
commemorating the car, and the Canadian mint produced a high-priced
commemorative coin, and both of these sold better than the car
itself did. Of course, the car was never sold *in* Canada...

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Geography - Around the Borders

> First we'll tell you the type of place; then for each question we'll
> give you a list of the places that surround it, in clockwise order.
> You, of course, must name the place. For example, if we asked
> for a US state and said "state of Vermont; provinces of Quebec and
> New Brunswick, Canada; Atlantic Ocean", then you would say "Maine".

> The first two are about counties of England. (Current ones, that
> is, including metropolitan counties.)

> 1. County of Cornwall; Bristol Channel; county of Somerset; county
> of Dorset; English Channel. Hint: its largest city is Plymouth.

Devon. 4 for Erland, Peter, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. County of Lancashire; Greater Manchester; county of Cheshire;
> Dee Estuary; Irish Sea. Hint: its largest city is Liverpool.

Merseyside. 4 for Peter and Dan Tilque.

> The next two are about provinces of Belgium.

> 3. A country also named <answer 3>; France; provinces of Namur
> and Liège, Belgium.

Luxembourg. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland, Peter, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

I learned about this province when I was driving back to my hotel
in Germany after seeing the 1999 total solar eclipse in France.
I had never been to Luxembourg and decided to go that way, and was
quite surprised when I passed the unstaffed border crossing to leave
France and the signs informed me that I had just entered Belgium.
A more careful glance at the map cleared things up, though.

> 4. Netherlands; provinces of Limburg, Flemish Brabant, and East
> Flanders, Belgium. Hint: it includes Belgium's largest city,
> which is also named <answer 4>.

Antwerp. 4 for Joshua, Peter, and Pete.

> The next two are about states of Germany.

> 5. State of Brandenburg, Germany. (That is, this state surrounds
> the one you want.)

Berlin. 4 for Joshua, Eland, Peter, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 6. Czechia; Austria; Switzerland; states of Baden-Württemberg,
> Hesse, Thuringia (Thüringen), and Saxony (Sachsen), Germany.
> Hint: it is the country's largest state by area.

Bavaria (Bayern). 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland, Peter, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

> The next two are about countries in Asia.

> 7. China; Tajikistan; Uzbekistan; Kazakhstan.

Kyrgyzstan. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Pete.
3 for Peter.

> 8. Caspian Sea; Kazakhstan; Uzbekistan; Afghanistan; Iran.

Turkmenistan. 4 for Marc, Erland, and Pete. 2 for Peter.

> The last two are about seas that are arms of the Mediterranean.
> Narrow straits (e.g. between Sardinia and Corsica) and small
> islands are omitted from the lists of bordering places.

> 9. Sardinia; Corsica; Ligurian Sea; mainland Italy; Sicily; Strait
> of Sicily; Tunisia; the main Mediterranean Sea.

Tyrrhenian Sea. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 10. Mainland Italy; Adriatic Sea; Albania; Greece; the main
> Mediterranean Sea.

Ionian Sea.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Geo
Joshua Kreitzer 5 24 29
Peter Smyth 0 29 29
Dan Tilque 0 28 28
Pete Gayde 3 24 27
Erland Sommarskog 0 24 24
Dan Blum 3 16 19
Jason Kreitzer 8 0 8
Marc Dashevsky 0 4 4

--
Mark Brader, Toronto Don't put all your X in one window.
m...@vex.net -- Peter Neumann

Calvin

Nov 5, 2017, 8:00:55 PM11/5/17
On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 3:31:03 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Canadiana History - Scandals

Pass

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Geography - Around the Borders
>
> First we'll tell you the type of place; then for each question we'll
> give you a list of the places that surround it, in clockwise order.
> You, of course, must name the place. For example, if we asked
> for a US state and said "state of Vermont; provinces of Quebec and
> New Brunswick, Canada; Atlantic Ocean", then you would say "Maine".
>
> The first two are about counties of England. (Current ones, that
> is, including metropolitan counties.)
>
> 1. County of Cornwall; Bristol Channel; county of Somerset; county
> of Dorset; English Channel. Hint: its largest city is Plymouth.

Devon

> 2. County of Lancashire; Greater Manchester; county of Cheshire;
> Dee Estuary; Irish Sea. Hint: its largest city is Liverpool.

Merseyside

> The next two are about provinces of Belgium.
>
> 3. A country also named <answer 3>; France; provinces of Namur
> and Liège, Belgium.

Flanders, Wallonia

> 4. Netherlands; provinces of Limburg, Flemish Brabant, and East
> Flanders, Belgium. Hint: it includes Belgium's largest city,
> which is also named <answer 4>.

Wallonia, Flanders

> The next two are about states of Germany.
>
> 5. State of Brandenburg, Germany. (That is, this state surrounds
> the one you want.)

Berlin

> 6. Czechia; Austria; Switzerland; states of Baden-Württemberg,
> Hesse, Thuringia (Thüringen), and Saxony (Sachsen), Germany.
> Hint: it is the country's largest state by area.

Bavaria

> The next two are about countries in Asia.
>
> 7. China; Tajikistan; Uzbekistan; Kazakhstan.

Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan

> 8. Caspian Sea; Kazakhstan; Uzbekistan; Afghanistan; Iran.

Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan

> The last two are about seas that are arms of the Mediterranean.
> Narrow straits (e.g. between Sardinia and Corsica) and small
> islands are omitted from the lists of bordering places.
>
> 9. Sardinia; Corsica; Ligurian Sea; mainland Italy; Sicily; Strait
> of Sicily; Tunisia; the main Mediterranean Sea.

Tyrrhenian Sea

> 10. Mainland Italy; Adriatic Sea; Albania; Greece; the main
> Mediterranean Sea.

Amalfi Sea?

This round would have worked better with redacted maps :-)

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Nov 5, 2017, 9:26:19 PM11/5/17
"Calvin":
> This round would have worked better with redacted maps :-)

Yes, well, there was a reason to not do that.

If Calvin's answers had been posted on time, he would have scored
0 points on Round 2 and 27 on Round 3.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Could you guys please stop agreeing?
m...@vex.net | It's wearing me out." --Bob Lieblich