QFTCI11 Game 1 Rounds 7-8: Can-arts, bios

Mark Brader

Jun 25, 2011, 6:52:00 PM6/25/11
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-01-17,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days. For further information see
my 2011-05-23 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI5GNM, QFTCI11, QFTCIMM)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 1, Round 7 - The Performing Arts in Canada

1. Which Canadian invention has been a boon to unilingual fans
of performing arts?

2. This organization has toured on every continent except Africa
-- where they're scheduled to perform in March -- and
Antarctica. They have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
Who are they?

3. This Manitoba organization was founded in 1939, making it
the oldest continuously operating one of its type on the
continent. The word "Royal" was added to its name in 1953.
Name it.

4. Which Canadian novel has been adapted as an opera by composer
Poul Ruders?

5. Within 1 year, when was the Stratford Festival founded?

6. Name *either* the theater awards administered by the Ontario
Arts Council Foundation *or* the awards honouring theater,
dance, or opera granted by the Toronto Alliance for the
Performing Arts. (You don't need to say which award.)

7. Since 2001 the Toronto Symphony's music director (that is,
conductor) has been Peter Oundijian. Name any one of his
predecessors.

8. Name the Toronto-based baroque orchestra, winner of four
Juno awards for Best Classical Album, founded in 1979 by
Kenneth Solway and Susan Graves.

9. Emmy award winner Ronnie Burkett is best known for what
performing arts medium?

10. Other than being Toronto's only permanent black-light
puppetry troupe, what is the principal distinction of the
Famous People Players?

* Game 1, Round 8 - Biographies

The handout <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/0108/bio.jpg>
shows covers of 16 books that were all to be found in the
Biography section at World's Biggest Bookstore when we were doing
our Christmas shopping. In a couple of cases the covers on the
handout are not the same ones that we saw at the bookstore, but
belong to other editions of the book.

In each case, we tell you which picture and you name the person
who's the *subject* of the biography. Naturally, if the name
appears on the cover then we have obscured it.

1. Book P.

2. Book A.

3. Book H.

4. Book L.

5. Book C. Two names required for this one -- as usual,
surnames will do.

6. Book M.

7. Book N.

8. Book G.

9. Book E.

10. Book J.

So books B, D, F, I, K, and O were the decoys. Identify their
subjects if you like for fun, but for no points.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Canada... likes to sit up there looking harmless,
m...@vex.net | like the USA's hat... --Anthony McCarron

Jeffrey Turner

Jun 25, 2011, 7:45:19 PM6/25/11
On 6/25/2011 6:52 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - The Performing Arts in Canada
>
> 1. Which Canadian invention has been a boon to unilingual fans
> of performing arts?
>
> 2. This organization has toured on every continent except Africa
> -- where they're scheduled to perform in March -- and
> Antarctica. They have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
> Who are they?

Second City Comedy

Masters and Johnson

> 6. Book M.

Charlie Chaplin

> 7. Book N.

Tommy

> 8. Book G.
>
> 9. Book E.
>
> 10. Book J.
>
> So books B, D, F, I, K, and O were the decoys. Identify their
> subjects if you like for fun, but for no points.

--Jeff

--
It is very easy for rich people to preach
the virtues of self-reliance to the poor.

Peter Smyth

Jun 25, 2011, 7:58:13 PM6/25/11
"Mark Brader" wrote in message

>These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-01-17,
>and should be interpreted accordingly.
>
>On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give
>both a right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty.
>Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
>based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote
>the questions and place your answer below each one.) I will reveal
>the correct answers in about 3 days. For further information see
>my 2011-05-23 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
>Inquisition (QFTCI5GNM, QFTCI11, QFTCIMM)".
>
>I wrote one of these rounds.
>

>* Game 1, Round 7 - The Performing Arts in Canada
>
>1. Which Canadian invention has been a boon to unilingual fans
> of performing arts?
subtitles

>2. This organization has toured on every continent except Africa
> -- where they're scheduled to perform in March -- and
> Antarctica. They have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
> Who are they?
Cirque de Soleil
Richard Branson
>3. Book H.
Susan Boyle

>4. Book L.
>
>5. Book C. Two names required for this one -- as usual,
> surnames will do.
>
>6. Book M.
Charlie Chaplin

>7. Book N.
>
>8. Book G.
>
>9. Book E.
>
>10. Book J.
>
>So books B, D, F, I, K, and O were the decoys. Identify their
>subjects if you like for fun, but for no points.

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 26, 2011, 5:41:05 AM6/26/11
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 2. Book A.

Richard Branson

> 3. Book H.

Susan Boyle

> 10. Book J.

Stieg Larsson

Marc Dashevsky

Jun 26, 2011, 11:31:01 AM6/26/11
In article <soOdnXf_iZQN-5vT...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Biographies
>
> The handout <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/0108/bio.jpg>
> shows covers of 16 books that were all to be found in the
> Biography section at World's Biggest Bookstore when we were doing
> our Christmas shopping. In a couple of cases the covers on the
> handout are not the same ones that we saw at the bookstore, but
> belong to other editions of the book.
>
> In each case, we tell you which picture and you name the person
> who's the *subject* of the biography. Naturally, if the name
> appears on the cover then we have obscured it.
>
> 1. Book P.
>
> 2. Book A.
Richard Branson

> 3. Book H.
>
> 4. Book L.
>
> 5. Book C. Two names required for this one -- as usual,
> surnames will do.

Masters and Johnson

> 6. Book M.
Charlie Chaplin

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Dan Blum

Jun 26, 2011, 11:39:01 AM6/26/11
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - The Performing Arts in Canada

> 1. Which Canadian invention has been a boon to unilingual fans
> of performing arts?

projected subtitles

> 2. This organization has toured on every continent except Africa
> -- where they're scheduled to perform in March -- and
> Antarctica. They have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
> Who are they?

Cirque du Soleil

> 5. Within 1 year, when was the Stratford Festival founded?

1952; 1962

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Biographies

> 2. Book A.

Richard Branson

> 3. Book H.

Boyle

> 5. Book C. Two names required for this one -- as usual,
> surnames will do.

Masters and Johnson

> 6. Book M.

Charlie Chaplin

> 8. Book G.

Paderewski

> 10. Book J.

Gates

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Calvin

Jun 26, 2011, 6:32:03 PM6/26/11
On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 08:52:00 +1000, Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - The Performing Arts in Canada
>
> 1. Which Canadian invention has been a boon to unilingual fans
> of performing arts?

Babel Fish

> 2. This organization has toured on every continent except Africa
> -- where they're scheduled to perform in March -- and
> Antarctica. They have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
> Who are they?

Harlem Globetrotters

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Biographies
>
> The handout <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/0108/bio.jpg>
> shows covers of 16 books that were all to be found in the
> Biography section at World's Biggest Bookstore when we were doing
> our Christmas shopping. In a couple of cases the covers on the
> handout are not the same ones that we saw at the bookstore, but
> belong to other editions of the book.
>
> In each case, we tell you which picture and you name the person
> who's the *subject* of the biography. Naturally, if the name
> appears on the cover then we have obscured it.
>
> 1. Book P.

Parker?

> 2. Book A.

Richard Branson
I asked this question some months back.

> 3. Book H.

Susan Boyle

> 4. Book L.

Anne of Green Gables. What's her name again? McSomehting?

> 5. Book C. Two names required for this one -- as usual,
> surnames will do.

Mr and Mrs Kinsey

> 6. Book M.

Charlie Chaplin

> 7. Book N.

Hearst?

> 8. Book G.

Cohen?

> 9. Book E.
>
> 10. Book J.

And thank you to whoever used letter rather than numbers to identify the
books!

--

cheers,
calvin

Joshua Kreitzer

Jun 26, 2011, 10:06:48 PM6/26/11
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:soOdnXf_iZQN-
5vTnZ2dnU...@vex.net:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - The Performing Arts in Canada
>
> 1. Which Canadian invention has been a boon to unilingual fans
> of performing arts?

projected supertitles

> 2. This organization has toured on every continent except Africa
> -- where they're scheduled to perform in March -- and
> Antarctica. They have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
> Who are they?

Cirque du Soleil

> 3. This Manitoba organization was founded in 1939, making it
> the oldest continuously operating one of its type on the
> continent. The word "Royal" was added to its name in 1953.
> Name it.

Royal Winnipeg Ballet

> 5. Within 1 year, when was the Stratford Festival founded?

1934; 1937

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Biographies
>

> In each case, we tell you which picture and you name the person
> who's the *subject* of the biography.
>

> 2. Book A.

Richard Branson

> 3. Book H.

Susan Boyle

> 5. Book C. Two names required for this one -- as usual,
> surnames will do.

Masters and Johnson

> 6. Book M.

Charlie Chaplin

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

robpparker SPAM @foroptusnet.com.aume Rob Parker

Jun 26, 2011, 10:53:23 PM6/26/11
> * Game 1, Round 7 - The Performing Arts in Canada

Pass

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Biographies
>

> 2. Book A.

Richard Branson

> 3. Book H.

Susan Boyle

> 6. Book M.

Charlie Chaplin

> 10. Book J.

Steig Larsson

Rob

Mark Brader

Jun 27, 2011, 12:10:33 AM6/27/11
"Calvin":

> And thank you to whoever used letter rather than numbers to identify the
> books!

You're welcome.
--
Mark Brader "I like to think of [this] as self-explanatory."
Toronto "I hope *I* think of [it] that way."

Dan Tilque

Jun 28, 2011, 5:00:28 PM6/28/11
Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-01-17,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days. For further information see
> my 2011-05-23 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI5GNM, QFTCI11, QFTCIMM)".
>
> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 1, Round 7 - The Performing Arts in Canada
>
> 1. Which Canadian invention has been a boon to unilingual fans
> of performing arts?
>
> 2. This organization has toured on every continent except Africa
> -- where they're scheduled to perform in March -- and
> Antarctica. They have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
> Who are they?
>
> 3. This Manitoba organization was founded in 1939, making it
> the oldest continuously operating one of its type on the
> continent. The word "Royal" was added to its name in 1953.
> Name it.

modern dance

> 4. Which Canadian novel has been adapted as an opera by composer
> Poul Ruders?
>
> 5. Within 1 year, when was the Stratford Festival founded?

1954

Madonna

> 3. Book H.
>
> 4. Book L.
>
> 5. Book C. Two names required for this one -- as usual,
> surnames will do.

Masters and Johnson

> 6. Book M.

Charlie Chaplin

> 7. Book N.
>
> 8. Book G.
>
> 9. Book E.
>
> 10. Book J.
>
> So books B, D, F, I, K, and O were the decoys. Identify their
> subjects if you like for fun, but for no points.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Jun 29, 2011, 12:13:27 AM6/29/11
Mark Brader:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-01-17,

> see my 2011-05-23 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI5GNM, QFTCI11, QFTCIMM)".

> I wrote one of these rounds.

That was the literature round.

> * Game 1, Round 7 - The Performing Arts in Canada

> 1. Which Canadian invention has been a boon to unilingual fans
> of performing arts?

Surtitles (text projected above the stage, used like movie subtitles).
4 for Dan Blum and Joshua. A somewhat generous 3 for Peter.

> 2. This organization has toured on every continent except Africa
> -- where they're scheduled to perform in March -- and
> Antarctica. They have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
> Who are they?

Cirque du Soleil. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 3. This Manitoba organization was founded in 1939, making it
> the oldest continuously operating one of its type on the
> continent. The word "Royal" was added to its name in 1953.
> Name it.

Royal Winnipeg Ballet. 4 for Joshua.

> 4. Which Canadian novel has been adapted as an opera by composer
> Poul Ruders?

"The Handmaid's Tale" (by Margaret Atwood).

> 5. Within 1 year, when was the Stratford Festival founded?

1952 (accepting 1951-53). 4 for Dan Blum.

> 6. Name *either* the theater awards administered by the Ontario
> Arts Council Foundation *or* the awards honouring theater,
> dance, or opera granted by the Toronto Alliance for the
> Performing Arts. (You don't need to say which award.)

Chalmers Awards [OACF]; Dora Mavor Moore Awards (accepting "Doras")
[TAPA].

> 7. Since 2001 the Toronto Symphony's music director (that is,
> conductor) has been Peter Oundijian. Name any one of his
> predecessors.

Luigi von Kunits (started 1922)
Sir Ernest MacMillan (1931)
Walter Susskind (1956)
Seiji Ozawa (1965)
Karel Ancerl (1969)
Victor Feldbrill (1973)
Sir Andrew Davis (1975)
G�nther Herbig (1988)
Jukka-Pekka Saraste (1994)

> 8. Name the Toronto-based baroque orchestra, winner of four
> Juno awards for Best Classical Album, founded in 1979 by
> Kenneth Solway and Susan Graves.

Tafelmusik (Baroque Orchestra).

> 9. Emmy award winner Ronnie Burkett is best known for what
> performing arts medium?

Puppetry (marionettes).

> 10. Other than being Toronto's only permanent black-light
> puppetry troupe, what is the principal distinction of the
> Famous People Players?

They have, uh, deficiencies in their mental abilities (anything
along those lines was acceptable).

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Biographies

> The handout <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/0108/bio.jpg>
> shows covers of 16 books that were all to be found in the
> Biography section at World's Biggest Bookstore when we were doing
> our Christmas shopping. In a couple of cases the covers on the
> handout are not the same ones that we saw at the bookstore, but
> belong to other editions of the book.

> In each case, we tell you which picture and you name the person
> who's the *subject* of the biography. Naturally, if the name
> appears on the cover then we have obscured it.

> 1. Book P.

Helen Gurley Brown (long-time editor of "Cosmopolitan").

> 2. Book A.

Richard Branson (of Virgin Records and Virgin Atlantic Airways).
4 for Peter, Erland, Marc, Dan Blum, Calvin, Joshua, and Rob.

> 3. Book H.

Susan Boyle (singer "discovered" on British reality show).
4 for Peter, Erland, Dan Blum, Calvin, Joshua, and Rob.

> 4. Book L.

Lucy Maud Montgomery (author of "Anne of Green Gables").

> 5. Book C. Two names required for this one -- as usual,
> surnames will do.

William Masters, Virginia Johnson. 4 for Jeff, Marc, Dan Blum,
Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. Book M.

Charlie Chaplin. 4 for Jeff, Peter, Marc, Dan Blum, Calvin, Joshua,
Rob, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. Book N.

R.B. Bennett (prime minister).

> 8. Book G.

Glenn Gould.

> 9. Book E.

Mordecai Richler.

> 10. Book J.

Stieg Larsson. (Author of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", etc.)
4 for Erland and Rob.

It was this last cover that inspired the round, by the way. I have
not read his novels and could not remember his name, but when I saw
the cover in WBB, I realized which novels he was the author of and
that he was dead, which I also didn't know.

> So books B, D, F, I, K, and O were the decoys. Identify their
> subjects if you like for fun, but for no points.

Nobody tried these, not even the easy one.

B - Jenna Jameson.
D - Pierre Elliot Trudeau. The top-row grouping was an intentional joke.
F - Coco Chanel.
I - Jennifer Finney Boylan (formerly James Boylan).
K - Sir Roger Mortimer (regent after the overthrow of Edward II).
O - Joseph Needham (author of "Science and Civilisation in China").

Scores, if there are no errors:

ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo Mis Sci His Can Lit FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 27 31 36 24 12 16 118
Marc Dashevsky 16 24 40 28 0 12 108
Dan Blum 6 26 40 24 12 16 106
Dan Tilque 20 28 40 12 0 8 100
Jeff Turner 16 36 28 12 0 8 92
"Calvin" 10 25 36 0 0 12 83
Erland Sommarskog 16 16 28 0 0 12 72
Stan Brown -- -- 40 24 -- -- 64
Rob Parker -- -- 40 4 0 16 60
Pete Gayde 26 26 -- -- -- -- 52
Bruce Bowler 12 20 -- -- -- -- 32
Peter Smyth -- -- -- -- 7 12 19

--
Mark Brader | "Simple things should be simple." -- Alan Kay, on UIs
m...@vex.net | "Too many ... try to make complex things simple ...
| -- Jeff Prothero

Dan Blum

Jun 29, 2011, 10:17:21 AM6/29/11
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> > 5. Within 1 year, when was the Stratford Festival founded?

> 1952 (accepting 1951-53). 4 for Dan Blum.

That should be 3, right? I gave two answers.

Mark Brader

Jun 29, 2011, 2:14:54 PM6/29/11
Mark Brader:

> > 1952 (accepting 1951-53). 4 for Dan Blum.

Dan Blum:

> That should be 3, right? I gave two answers.

Oops, right. Thanks.

Scores, if there are no further errors:

ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo Mis Sci His Can Lit FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 27 31 36 24 12 16 118
Marc Dashevsky 16 24 40 28 0 12 108

Dan Blum 6 26 40 24 11 16 106

Dan Tilque 20 28 40 12 0 8 100
Jeff Turner 16 36 28 12 0 8 92
"Calvin" 10 25 36 0 0 12 83
Erland Sommarskog 16 16 28 0 0 12 72
Stan Brown -- -- 40 24 -- -- 64
Rob Parker -- -- 40 4 0 16 60
Pete Gayde 26 26 -- -- -- -- 52
Bruce Bowler 12 20 -- -- -- -- 32
Peter Smyth -- -- -- -- 7 12 19
--

Mark Brader, Toronto | I still remember the first time his reality check
m...@vex.net | bounced. -- Darlene Richards

My errors and other text in this article are in the public domain.