Calvin's Quiz #575

Calvin

Sep 17, 2019, 10:03:17 PM9/17/19
1 What literary character had an affair with Daisy Buchanan?
2 There are countless variations, but what specific ingredient is always present in the Spanish dish paella?
3 A popular internet meme features the celebrity pet Tardar Sauce. What is the creature's (and the meme's) more common name?
4 A news photographer named Paparazzo, the eponym of the word paparazzi, appeared in which 1960 Federico Fellini film?
5 Ali Bhutto and his daughter Benazir are former Prime Ministers of which country?
6 The 1963 movie A Shot in the Dark was the second in which film franchise established by Blake Edwards?
7 Robin Williams and Gene Hackman co-starred in the 1996 re-make of a 1978 Franco-Italian comedy. Name either film.
8 Which US President was assassinated in Ford's Theatre, Washington D.C.?
9 Which 2005 WW2 historical novel by Australian author Markus Zusak became a 2013 film starring Geoffrey Rush, Emily Watson and Sophie Nélisse?
10 Which 1970s British television series starred Tony Curtis and Roger Moore as Danny Wilde and Brett Sinclair respectively?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Sep 17, 2019, 10:43:17 PM9/17/19
"Calvin":
> 1 What literary character had an affair with Daisy Buchanan?

Gatsby.

> 2 There are countless variations, but what specific ingredient
> is always present in the Spanish dish paella?

Saffron.

> 3 A popular internet meme features the celebrity pet Tardar
> Sauce. What is the creature's (and the meme's) more common
> name?

Johnson.

> 4 A news photographer named Paparazzo, the eponym of the word
> paparazzi, appeared in which 1960 Federico Fellini film?

"8½".

> 5 Ali Bhutto and his daughter Benazir are former Prime
> Ministers of which country?

This time it *is* Pakistan!

> 6 The 1963 movie A Shot in the Dark was the second in which
> film franchise established by Blake Edwards?

The Inspector Clouseau series, also known as the Pink Panther movies
(although neither[1] of the Pink Panthers were in this one, and it wasn't
until later in the series that the name was also applied to Clouseau).

[1] The diamond and the cartoon animal.

> 7 Robin Williams and Gene Hackman co-starred in the 1996
> re-make of a 1978 Franco-Italian comedy. Name either film.

La Cage aux Folles.

> 8 Which US President was assassinated in Ford's Theatre,
> Washington D.C.?

Lincoln.

> 9 Which 2005 WW2 historical novel by Australian author Markus
> Zusak became a 2013 film starring Geoffrey Rush, Emily Watson
> and Sophie Nélisse?

Dang, I haven't seen this but probably I should know it anyway.
Um, I'll try "The Book Thief".

> 10 Which 1970s British television series starred Tony Curtis
> and Roger Moore as Danny Wilde and Brett Sinclair respectively?

"I Spy"?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "You don't SIT IN the traffic jam;
m...@vex.net | you ARE the traffic jam." -- Werner Icking

Dan Blum

Sep 17, 2019, 11:48:27 PM9/17/19
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1 What literary character had an affair with Daisy Buchanan?

Jay Gatsby

> 2 There are countless variations, but what specific ingredient is always present in the Spanish dish paella?

rice

> 3 A popular internet meme features the celebrity pet Tardar Sauce. What is the creature's (and the meme's) more common name?

Grumpy Cat

> 4 A news photographer named Paparazzo, the eponym of the word paparazzi, appeared in which 1960 Federico Fellini film?

8 1/2

> 5 Ali Bhutto and his daughter Benazir are former Prime Ministers of which country?

Pakistan

> 6 The 1963 movie A Shot in the Dark was the second in which film franchise established by Blake Edwards?

Pink Panther

> 7 Robin Williams and Gene Hackman co-starred in the 1996 re-make of a 1978 Franco-Italian comedy. Name either film.

The Birdcage

> 8 Which US President was assassinated in Ford's Theatre, Washington D.C.?

Abraham Lincoln

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joe

Sep 18, 2019, 1:24:46 AM9/18/19
On 2019-09-18 02:03:16 +0000, Calvin said:

> 1 What literary character had an affair with Daisy Buchanan?

Gatsby

> 2 There are countless variations, but what specific ingredient is
> always present in the Spanish dish paella?

Rice

> 3 A popular internet meme features the celebrity pet Tardar Sauce. What
> is the creature's (and the meme's) more common name?

Grumpy Cat

> 4 A news photographer named Paparazzo, the eponym of the word
> paparazzi, appeared in which 1960 Federico Fellini film?

Blow Up

> 5 Ali Bhutto and his daughter Benazir are former Prime Ministers of
> which country?

Pakistan

> 6 The 1963 movie A Shot in the Dark was the second in which film
> franchise established by Blake Edwards?

I'm guessing here but I seem to recall Peter Sellars as Inspector
Clouseau. Probably way off.

> 7 Robin Williams and Gene Hackman co-starred in the 1996 re-make of a
> 1978 Franco-Italian comedy. Name either film.
> 8 Which US President was assassinated in Ford's Theatre, Washington D.C.?

Lincoln

> 9 Which 2005 WW2 historical novel by Australian author Markus Zusak
> became a 2013 film starring Geoffrey Rush, Emily Watson and Sophie
> Nélisse?
> 10 Which 1970s British television series starred Tony Curtis and Roger
> Moore as Danny Wilde and Brett Sinclair respectively?

I remember watching this once but it was so bad I've forgotten the name.

--
“To err, as they say, is human. To forgive is divine. To err by
withholding your forgiveness until it’s too late is to become divinely

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 18, 2019, 2:53:56 PM9/18/19
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 2 There are countless variations, but what specific ingredient is
> always present in the Spanish dish paella?

Rice

> 4 A news photographer named Paparazzo, the eponym of the word
> paparazzi, appeared in which 1960 Federico Fellini film?

La dolce vita

> 5 Ali Bhutto and his daughter Benazir are former Prime Ministers of
> which country?

Pakistan

> 8 Which US President was assassinated in Ford's Theatre, Washington
> D.C.?

Abraham Lincoln

> 10 Which 1970s British television series starred Tony Curtis and
> Roger Moore as Danny Wilde and Brett Sinclair respectively?

In Sweden it was called "Snobbar som jobbar". I will have to admit
that I did not pay attention to the English title.

Bruce Bowler

Sep 18, 2019, 3:15:25 PM9/18/19
On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 19:03:16 -0700, Calvin wrote:

> 1 What literary character had an affair with Daisy Buchanan?

Gatsby

> 2 There are countless variations, but what specific ingredient is
always
> present in the Spanish dish paella?

Rice

> 5 Ali Bhutto and his daughter Benazir are former Prime Ministers of
> which country?

Pakistan

> 6 The 1963 movie A Shot in the Dark was the second in which film
> franchise established by Blake Edwards?

Pink Panther

> 7 Robin Williams and Gene Hackman co-starred in the 1996 re-make of
> 1978 Franco-Italian comedy. Name either film.

La Cage Au Folles; the Bird Cage

> 8 Which US President was assassinated in Ford's Theatre, Washington
> D.C.?

Abraham Lincoln

Pete Gayde

Sep 18, 2019, 3:26:40 PM9/18/19
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 What literary character had an affair with Daisy Buchanan?

Gatsby

> 2 There are countless variations, but what specific ingredient is
> always present in the Spanish dish paella?

Rice

> 3 A popular internet
> meme features the celebrity pet Tardar Sauce. What is the creature's
> (and the meme's) more common name?

Grumpy Cat

> 4 A news photographer named
> Paparazzo, the eponym of the word paparazzi, appeared in which 1960
> Federico Fellini film?
> 5 Ali Bhutto and his daughter Benazir are
> former Prime Ministers of which country?

Pakistan

> 6 The 1963 movie A Shot
> in the Dark was the second in which film franchise established by
> Blake Edwards?

Pink Panther

> 7 Robin Williams and Gene Hackman co-starred in the
> 1996 re-make of a 1978 Franco-Italian comedy. Name either film.
> 8 Which US President was assassinated in Ford's Theatre, Washington
> D.C.?

Lincoln

> 9 Which 2005 WW2 historical novel by Australian author
> Markus Zusak became a 2013 film starring Geoffrey Rush, Emily Watson
> and Sophie Nélisse?
> 10 Which 1970s British television series
> starred Tony Curtis and Roger Moore as Danny Wilde and Brett Sinclair
> respectively?
>
> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Dan Tilque

Sep 18, 2019, 7:21:53 PM9/18/19
On 9/17/19 7:03 PM, Calvin wrote:
> 1 What literary character had an affair with Daisy Buchanan?
> 2 There are countless variations, but what specific ingredient is always present in the Spanish dish paella?
> 3 A popular internet meme features the celebrity pet Tardar Sauce. What is the creature's (and the meme's) more common name?
> 4 A news photographer named Paparazzo, the eponym of the word paparazzi, appeared in which 1960 Federico Fellini film?
> 5 Ali Bhutto and his daughter Benazir are former Prime Ministers of which country?

Pakistan

> 6 The 1963 movie A Shot in the Dark was the second in which film franchise established by Blake Edwards?

The Pink Pather

> 7 Robin Williams and Gene Hackman co-starred in the 1996 re-make of a 1978 Franco-Italian comedy. Name either film.
> 8 Which US President was assassinated in Ford's Theatre, Washington D.C.?

Lincoln

> 9 Which 2005 WW2 historical novel by Australian author Markus Zusak became a 2013 film starring Geoffrey Rush, Emily Watson and Sophie Nélisse?
> 10 Which 1970s British television series starred Tony Curtis and Roger Moore as Danny Wilde and Brett Sinclair respectively?

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Sep 18, 2019, 7:43:01 PM9/18/19
Erland Sommarskog:
> In Sweden it was called "Snobbar som jobbar". I will have to admit
> that I did not pay attention to the English title.

For what it's worth, according to the IMDB, the English title of
"Snobbar som jobbar" was "The Persuaders!"
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Show that 17x17 = 289. Generalise this result."
m...@vex.net | -- Carl E. Linderholm

Calvin

Sep 26, 2019, 8:15:00 PM9/26/19
On Wednesday, September 18, 2019 at 12:03:17 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 What literary character had an affair with Daisy Buchanan?

Jay Gatsby

> 2 There are countless variations, but what specific ingredient is always present in the Spanish dish paella?

Rice

> 3 A popular internet meme features the celebrity pet Tardar Sauce. What is the creature's (and the meme's) more common name?

Grumpy Cat

> 4 A news photographer named Paparazzo, the eponym of the word paparazzi, appeared in which 1960 Federico Fellini film?

La Dolce Vita
Singleton for Erland

> 5 Ali Bhutto and his daughter Benazir are former Prime Ministers of which country?

Pakistan
If you give an answer often enough it will eventually be right :-)

> 6 The 1963 movie A Shot in the Dark was the second in which film franchise established by Blake Edwards?

Pink Panther
The full story is somewhat more complicated as Mark explained. I accepted Inspector Closeau.

> 7 Robin Williams and Gene Hackman co-starred in the 1996 re-make of a 1978 Franco-Italian comedy. Name either film.

The Birdcage / La Cage Aux Folles

> 8 Which US President was assassinated in Ford's Theatre, Washington D.C.?

Abe

> 9 Which 2005 WW2 historical novel by Australian author Markus Zusak became a 2013 film starring Geoffrey Rush, Emily Watson and Sophie Nélisse?

The Book Thief
Singleton for Mark

> 10 Which 1970s British television series starred Tony Curtis and Roger Moore as Danny Wilde and Brett Sinclair respectively?

The Persuaders!
Singleton for Erland since I accepted the Swedish title Snobbar som jobbar which amusingly translates as Snobs on the Job!

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 575
1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 7 36 Dan Blum
1 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 6 29 Mark Brader
1 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 6 33 Pete Gayde
1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 6 33 Bruce Bowler
1 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 6 33 Joe
0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 5 21 Erland S
0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 3 20 Dan Tilque
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
5 5 3 1 7 6 3 7 1 1 39 56%

That was a tough set so well played all and congratulations Dan B.

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 27, 2019, 3:57:07 AM9/27/19
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
>> 4 A news photographer named Paparazzo, the eponym of the word
>> paparazzi, appeared in which 1960 Federico Fellini film?
>
> La Dolce Vita
> Singleton for Erland
>
>> 10 Which 1970s British television series starred Tony Curtis and
>> Roger Moore as Danny Wilde and Brett Sinclair respectively?
>
> The Persuaders!
> Singleton for Erland since I accepted the Swedish title Snobbar som
> jobbar which amusingly translates as Snobs on the Job! >

It's not really good tone to brag about having two singletons. But I can't
resist it when both questions are about movie/TV, an area that other people
know a whole lot better than me. So it is quite unusual.