QFTCIMM36 Current Events 3-4

Mark Brader

Oct 18, 2016, 3:28:14 AM10/18/16
As I post this, QFTCI16 Game 9 has a bit under a day to run, and
will be followed by the start of Game 10, concurrently with this
current-events set.

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
give the answers that were correct on that date.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the questions and place your answer below each one.) I will
reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 3 (2010-10-03), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Florida Marlins all-star pitcher José Fernández died Sunday...
in what sort of accident?

2. In what American city did a rush-hour commuter train crash
through a barrier last Thursday morning, killing one person
and injuring over 100?

3. "Do Not Say We Have Nothing" by Madeleine Thien, "The Wonder"
by Emma Donoghue, and "Yiddish for Pirates" by Gary Barwin are
among the nominees announced last week for which literary prize?

4. For the first time in his presidency, a Barack Obama veto
was overridden by Congress, by votes of 348-77 in the House
of Representatives and 97-1 in the Senate. What will the bill
allow families of 9/11 victims to do?

5. What relatively rare lunar event occurred could be seen
-- or rather, *not* seen -- in Toronto skies last Friday?
Some fundamentalist Christian websites heralded it as a sign
of the coming end times.

6. Name the couple who were in Vancouver's poverty-stricken
Downtown Eastside last Sunday meeting mothers who are battling
drug and alcohol addiction.

7. Launched less than 2 years ago by Rogers and Shaw Communications
as a homegrown competitor to Netflix, this streaming video
service announced that it will be pulling the plug on
November 30. Name it.

8. He died last week at the age of 87. Though best-known by far
as a sportsman, he was also an accomplished pilot, holding the
world record for circumnavigating the globe in a jet of the
17,600-24,600 lb. category. Name this sportsman and amateur
pilot.

9. Following hard on this summer's non-air-conditioned subway-car
fiasco, the TTC revealed last week that 5% of these machines
on the streetcar fleet are currently not functioning.
Which machines?

10. Monday was Debate Night, USA. In response to Hillary Clinton's
accusation that he doesn't pay federal income taxes, the Donald
replied, "That makes me..." what? Give the single word that
completes his retort.

* Game 4 (2010-10-17), Round 1 - Current Events

1. On Thursday the Swedish Academy announced that Bob Dylan would
be the recipient of a Nobel Prize. In what?

2. In the words of "Late Night" host Seth Meyers: "There is
currently a higher standard for host of the third hour of
the 'Today Show' than there is for the Republican nominee
for President." Name the host that NBC suspended last week
after he was caught on tape in 2005 laughing along with Donald
Trump's lewd comments.

3. Last week, an international group of scientists and legal experts
revealed their plans for creating a new nation-state to be named
"Asgardia", open to citizens of all nations, beginning some
time next year. Where will this potential new nation be located?

4. After 34 years, this country, an island group in the Indian
Ocean, left the Commonwealth of Nations, claiming that it has
been "unfairly and unjustly" treated by the intergovernmental
organization. Name the country.

5. The world's longest-reigning monarch died on Thursday. Bhumibol
Adulyadej ["POO-mee-PON a-DOON-ya-DAY"], also known as Rama IX,
was king of which country?

6. A former federal cabinet minister and former premier of Alberta,
who held the latter office for 8 months in 2014-15, was killed
in a plane crash in BC last week. Name this former premier.

7. Displayed during the last Blue Jays / Texas Rangers game,
a fan's banner reading "WOULD RATHER GET PUNCHED IN MAY THAN
KNOCKED OUT IN OCTOBER" became a sensation and is now displayed
at the fan's Danforth pharmacy. Name the Texas player who
punched José Bautista in May *and* who caused the error that
lost last Sunday's game for Texas.

8. Toronto Maple Leafs rookie Auston Matthews entered the history
books in his NHL debut on Wednesday. What did he do?

9. On October 10, after 99 years, North America's oldest private
zoo closed its doors, following steeply declining attendance
in the wake of animal-cruelty charges. Name the zoo.

10. After looking at economy, health, security, education, and
leadership (among other factors), the Canadian Centre for Policy
Alternatives presented its list of the best cities in Canada
for women. Toronto was 11th. Which city topped the list?

--
Mark Brader "I already checked, and there are 2147483647
Toronto natural numbers (I made a simple Java program

Dan Blum

Oct 18, 2016, 9:51:42 AM10/18/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3 (2010-10-03), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Florida Marlins all-star pitcher Jos? Fern?ndez died Sunday...
> in what sort of accident?

boating

> 2. In what American city did a rush-hour commuter train crash
> through a barrier last Thursday morning, killing one person
> and injuring over 100?

Newark

> 3. "Do Not Say We Have Nothing" by Madeleine Thien, "The Wonder"
> by Emma Donoghue, and "Yiddish for Pirates" by Gary Barwin are
> among the nominees announced last week for which literary prize?

Pulitzer; Booker

> 4. For the first time in his presidency, a Barack Obama veto
> was overridden by Congress, by votes of 348-77 in the House
> of Representatives and 97-1 in the Senate. What will the bill
> allow families of 9/11 victims to do?

sue the Saudi Arabian government

> 5. What relatively rare lunar event occurred could be seen
> -- or rather, *not* seen -- in Toronto skies last Friday?
> Some fundamentalist Christian websites heralded it as a sign
> of the coming end times.

lunar eclipse

> 9. Following hard on this summer's non-air-conditioned subway-car
> fiasco, the TTC revealed last week that 5% of these machines
> on the streetcar fleet are currently not functioning.
> Which machines?

fare collectors

> 10. Monday was Debate Night, USA. In response to Hillary Clinton's
> accusation that he doesn't pay federal income taxes, the Donald
> replied, "That makes me..." what? Give the single word that
> completes his retort.

smart

> * Game 4 (2010-10-17), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. On Thursday the Swedish Academy announced that Bob Dylan would
> be the recipient of a Nobel Prize. In what?

literature

> 2. In the words of "Late Night" host Seth Meyers: "There is
> currently a higher standard for host of the third hour of
> the 'Today Show' than there is for the Republican nominee
> for President." Name the host that NBC suspended last week
> after he was caught on tape in 2005 laughing along with Donald
> Trump's lewd comments.

Billy Bush

> 3. Last week, an international group of scientists and legal experts
> revealed their plans for creating a new nation-state to be named
> "Asgardia", open to citizens of all nations, beginning some
> time next year. Where will this potential new nation be located?

in Earth orbit

> 4. After 34 years, this country, an island group in the Indian
> Ocean, left the Commonwealth of Nations, claiming that it has
> been "unfairly and unjustly" treated by the intergovernmental
> organization. Name the country.

Maldives; Seychelles

> 5. The world's longest-reigning monarch died on Thursday. Bhumibol
> Adulyadej ["POO-mee-PON a-DOON-ya-DAY"], also known as Rama IX,
> was king of which country?

Thailand

> 10. After looking at economy, health, security, education, and
> leadership (among other factors), the Canadian Centre for Policy
> Alternatives presented its list of the best cities in Canada
> for women. Toronto was 11th. Which city topped the list?

Vancouver; Halifax

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Peter Smyth

Oct 18, 2016, 11:43:24 AM10/18/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> As I post this, QFTCI16 Game 9 has a bit under a day to run, and
> will be followed by the start of Game 10, concurrently with this
> current-events set.
>

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on that date.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the questions and place your answer below each one.) I will
> reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 3 (2010-10-03), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Florida Marlins all-star pitcher José Fernández died Sunday...
> in what sort of accident?
Boating
> 2. In what American city did a rush-hour commuter train crash
> through a barrier last Thursday morning, killing one person
> and injuring over 100?
Jersey City
> 3. "Do Not Say We Have Nothing" by Madeleine Thien, "The Wonder"
> by Emma Donoghue, and "Yiddish for Pirates" by Gary Barwin are
> among the nominees announced last week for which literary prize?
>
> 4. For the first time in his presidency, a Barack Obama veto
> was overridden by Congress, by votes of 348-77 in the House
> of Representatives and 97-1 in the Senate. What will the bill
> allow families of 9/11 victims to do?
Sue Saudi Arabia
> 5. What relatively rare lunar event occurred could be seen
> -- or rather, not seen -- in Toronto skies last Friday?
> Some fundamentalist Christian websites heralded it as a sign
> of the coming end times.
Lunar Eclipse
> 6. Name the couple who were in Vancouver's poverty-stricken
> Downtown Eastside last Sunday meeting mothers who are battling
> drug and alcohol addiction.
Justin and Mrs Trudeau
> 7. Launched less than 2 years ago by Rogers and Shaw Communications
> as a homegrown competitor to Netflix, this streaming video
> service announced that it will be pulling the plug on
> November 30. Name it.
>
> 8. He died last week at the age of 87. Though best-known by far
> as a sportsman, he was also an accomplished pilot, holding the
> world record for circumnavigating the globe in a jet of the
> 17,600-24,600 lb. category. Name this sportsman and amateur
> pilot.
Arnold Palmer
> 9. Following hard on this summer's non-air-conditioned subway-car
> fiasco, the TTC revealed last week that 5% of these machines
> on the streetcar fleet are currently not functioning.
> Which machines?
>
> 10. Monday was Debate Night, USA. In response to Hillary Clinton's
> accusation that he doesn't pay federal income taxes, the Donald
> replied, "That makes me..." what? Give the single word that
> completes his retort.
Smart

> * Game 4 (2010-10-17), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. On Thursday the Swedish Academy announced that Bob Dylan would
> be the recipient of a Nobel Prize. In what?
Literature
> 2. In the words of "Late Night" host Seth Meyers: "There is
> currently a higher standard for host of the third hour of
> the 'Today Show' than there is for the Republican nominee
> for President." Name the host that NBC suspended last week
> after he was caught on tape in 2005 laughing along with Donald
> Trump's lewd comments.
Lauer
> 3. Last week, an international group of scientists and legal experts
> revealed their plans for creating a new nation-state to be named
> "Asgardia", open to citizens of all nations, beginning some
> time next year. Where will this potential new nation be located?
in Space
> 4. After 34 years, this country, an island group in the Indian
> Ocean, left the Commonwealth of Nations, claiming that it has
> been "unfairly and unjustly" treated by the intergovernmental
> organization. Name the country.
Mauritius, Maldives
> 5. The world's longest-reigning monarch died on Thursday. Bhumibol
> Adulyadej ["POO-mee-PON a-DOON-ya-DAY"], also known as Rama IX,
> was king of which country?
Thailand
> 6. A former federal cabinet minister and former premier of Alberta,
> who held the latter office for 8 months in 2014-15, was killed
> in a plane crash in BC last week. Name this former premier.
Jim
> 7. Displayed during the last Blue Jays / Texas Rangers game,
> a fan's banner reading "WOULD RATHER GET PUNCHED IN MAY THAN
> KNOCKED OUT IN OCTOBER" became a sensation and is now displayed
> at the fan's Danforth pharmacy. Name the Texas player who
> punched José Bautista in May and who caused the error that
> lost last Sunday's game for Texas.
>
> 8. Toronto Maple Leafs rookie Auston Matthews entered the history
> books in his NHL debut on Wednesday. What did he do?
Youngest ever player to make debut
Scored hat-trick on debut
> 9. On October 10, after 99 years, North America's oldest private
> zoo closed its doors, following steeply declining attendance
> in the wake of animal-cruelty charges. Name the zoo.
>
> 10. After looking at economy, health, security, education, and
> leadership (among other factors), the Canadian Centre for Policy
> Alternatives presented its list of the best cities in Canada
> for women. Toronto was 11th. Which city topped the list?
Vancouver, Ottawa

Peter Smyth

bbowler

Oct 18, 2016, 1:34:37 PM10/18/16
On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 02:28:09 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> As I post this, QFTCI16 Game 9 has a bit under a day to run, and will be
> followed by the start of Game 10, concurrently with this current-events
> set.
>

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
> have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give the
> answers that were correct on that date.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been
> retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2016-05-31
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 3 (2010-10-03), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Florida Marlins all-star pitcher José Fernández died Sunday...
> in what sort of accident?

Boating

> 2. In what American city did a rush-hour commuter train crash
> through a barrier last Thursday morning, killing one person and
> injuring over 100?

Hoboken

> 3. "Do Not Say We Have Nothing" by Madeleine Thien, "The Wonder"
> by Emma Donoghue, and "Yiddish for Pirates" by Gary Barwin are among
> the nominees announced last week for which literary prize?

Pulitzer?

> 4. For the first time in his presidency, a Barack Obama veto
> was overridden by Congress, by votes of 348-77 in the House of
> Representatives and 97-1 in the Senate. What will the bill allow
> families of 9/11 victims to do?

Sue the Saudi government

> 5. What relatively rare lunar event occurred could be seen
> -- or rather, *not* seen -- in Toronto skies last Friday?
> Some fundamentalist Christian websites heralded it as a sign of the
> coming end times.

Black Moon

> 6. Name the couple who were in Vancouver's poverty-stricken
> Downtown Eastside last Sunday meeting mothers who are battling drug
> and alcohol addiction.
>
> 7. Launched less than 2 years ago by Rogers and Shaw Communications
> as a homegrown competitor to Netflix, this streaming video service
> announced that it will be pulling the plug on November 30. Name it.
>

> 8. He died last week at the age of 87. Though best-known by far
> as a sportsman, he was also an accomplished pilot, holding the world
> record for circumnavigating the globe in a jet of the 17,600-24,600
> lb. category. Name this sportsman and amateur pilot.
>
> 9. Following hard on this summer's non-air-conditioned subway-car
> fiasco, the TTC revealed last week that 5% of these machines on the
> streetcar fleet are currently not functioning.
> Which machines?
>
> 10. Monday was Debate Night, USA. In response to Hillary Clinton's
> accusation that he doesn't pay federal income taxes, the Donald
> replied, "That makes me..." what? Give the single word that
> completes his retort.

Smart

> * Game 4 (2010-10-17), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. On Thursday the Swedish Academy announced that Bob Dylan would
> be the recipient of a Nobel Prize. In what?

Literature

> 2. In the words of "Late Night" host Seth Meyers: "There is
> currently a higher standard for host of the third hour of the 'Today
> Show' than there is for the Republican nominee for President." Name
> the host that NBC suspended last week after he was caught on tape in
> 2005 laughing along with Donald Trump's lewd comments.

Billy Bush

> 3. Last week, an international group of scientists and legal experts
> revealed their plans for creating a new nation-state to be named
> "Asgardia", open to citizens of all nations, beginning some time next
> year. Where will this potential new nation be located?

Space

> 4. After 34 years, this country, an island group in the Indian
> Ocean, left the Commonwealth of Nations, claiming that it has been
> "unfairly and unjustly" treated by the intergovernmental
> organization. Name the country.
>
> 5. The world's longest-reigning monarch died on Thursday. Bhumibol
> Adulyadej ["POO-mee-PON a-DOON-ya-DAY"], also known as Rama IX, was
> king of which country?

Thailand

> 6. A former federal cabinet minister and former premier of Alberta,
> who held the latter office for 8 months in 2014-15, was killed in a
> plane crash in BC last week. Name this former premier.
>
> 7. Displayed during the last Blue Jays / Texas Rangers game,
> a fan's banner reading "WOULD RATHER GET PUNCHED IN MAY THAN KNOCKED
> OUT IN OCTOBER" became a sensation and is now displayed at the fan's
> Danforth pharmacy. Name the Texas player who punched José Bautista
> in May *and* who caused the error that lost last Sunday's game for
> Texas.
>
> 8. Toronto Maple Leafs rookie Auston Matthews entered the history
> books in his NHL debut on Wednesday. What did he do?

scored 4 goals

Pete

Oct 18, 2016, 2:25:43 PM10/18/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:WIednXOnkMSUUpjFnZ2dnUU7-
UPN...@giganews.com:

> As I post this, QFTCI16 Game 9 has a bit under a day to run, and
> will be followed by the start of Game 10, concurrently with this
> current-events set.
>

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on that date.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the questions and place your answer below each one.) I will
> reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 3 (2010-10-03), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Florida Marlins all-star pitcher José Fernández died Sunday...
> in what sort of accident?

Boating

> 2. In what American city did a rush-hour commuter train crash
> through a barrier last Thursday morning, killing one person
> and injuring over 100?

Newark

> 3. "Do Not Say We Have Nothing" by Madeleine Thien, "The Wonder"
> by Emma Donoghue, and "Yiddish for Pirates" by Gary Barwin are
> among the nominees announced last week for which literary prize?
>
> 4. For the first time in his presidency, a Barack Obama veto
> was overridden by Congress, by votes of 348-77 in the House
> of Representatives and 97-1 in the Senate. What will the bill
> allow families of 9/11 victims to do?

Sue Saudi Arabia

> 5. What relatively rare lunar event occurred could be seen
> -- or rather, *not* seen -- in Toronto skies last Friday?
> Some fundamentalist Christian websites heralded it as a sign
> of the coming end times.
>
> 6. Name the couple who were in Vancouver's poverty-stricken
> Downtown Eastside last Sunday meeting mothers who are battling
> drug and alcohol addiction.

Prince William and Duchess Kate; Justin Trudeau and wife

> 7. Launched less than 2 years ago by Rogers and Shaw Communications
> as a homegrown competitor to Netflix, this streaming video
> service announced that it will be pulling the plug on
> November 30. Name it.
>

> 8. He died last week at the age of 87. Though best-known by far
> as a sportsman, he was also an accomplished pilot, holding the
> world record for circumnavigating the globe in a jet of the
> 17,600-24,600 lb. category. Name this sportsman and amateur
> pilot.

Arnold Palmer

> 9. Following hard on this summer's non-air-conditioned subway-car
> fiasco, the TTC revealed last week that 5% of these machines
> on the streetcar fleet are currently not functioning.
> Which machines?

Heaters

> 10. Monday was Debate Night, USA. In response to Hillary Clinton's
> accusation that he doesn't pay federal income taxes, the Donald
> replied, "That makes me..." what? Give the single word that
> completes his retort.

smart

> * Game 4 (2010-10-17), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. On Thursday the Swedish Academy announced that Bob Dylan would
> be the recipient of a Nobel Prize. In what?

Literature

> 2. In the words of "Late Night" host Seth Meyers: "There is
> currently a higher standard for host of the third hour of
> the 'Today Show' than there is for the Republican nominee
> for President." Name the host that NBC suspended last week
> after he was caught on tape in 2005 laughing along with Donald
> Trump's lewd comments.

Billy Bush

> 3. Last week, an international group of scientists and legal experts
> revealed their plans for creating a new nation-state to be named
> "Asgardia", open to citizens of all nations, beginning some
> time next year. Where will this potential new nation be located?

Antarctic

> 4. After 34 years, this country, an island group in the Indian
> Ocean, left the Commonwealth of Nations, claiming that it has
> been "unfairly and unjustly" treated by the intergovernmental
> organization. Name the country.

Maldives

> 5. The world's longest-reigning monarch died on Thursday. Bhumibol
> Adulyadej ["POO-mee-PON a-DOON-ya-DAY"], also known as Rama IX,
> was king of which country?

Thailand

> 6. A former federal cabinet minister and former premier of Alberta,
> who held the latter office for 8 months in 2014-15, was killed
> in a plane crash in BC last week. Name this former premier.
>
> 7. Displayed during the last Blue Jays / Texas Rangers game,
> a fan's banner reading "WOULD RATHER GET PUNCHED IN MAY THAN
> KNOCKED OUT IN OCTOBER" became a sensation and is now displayed
> at the fan's Danforth pharmacy. Name the Texas player who
> punched José Bautista in May *and* who caused the error that
> lost last Sunday's game for Texas.

Rougned Odor

> 8. Toronto Maple Leafs rookie Auston Matthews entered the history
> books in his NHL debut on Wednesday. What did he do?

Scored 4 goals

> 9. On October 10, after 99 years, North America's oldest private
> zoo closed its doors, following steeply declining attendance
> in the wake of animal-cruelty charges. Name the zoo.
>
> 10. After looking at economy, health, security, education, and
> leadership (among other factors), the Canadian Centre for Policy
> Alternatives presented its list of the best cities in Canada
> for women. Toronto was 11th. Which city topped the list?

Victoria, BC; Calgary

Pete Gayde

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 18, 2016, 2:59:33 PM10/18/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 3 (2010-10-03), Round 1 - Current Events
> 2. In what American city did a rush-hour commuter train crash
> through a barrier last Thursday morning, killing one person
> and injuring over 100?

Hoboken, NJ

> 5. What relatively rare lunar event occurred could be seen
> -- or rather, *not* seen -- in Toronto skies last Friday?
> Some fundamentalist Christian websites heralded it as a sign
> of the coming end times.

Lunar eclipse

> 6. Name the couple who were in Vancouver's poverty-stricken
> Downtown Eastside last Sunday meeting mothers who are battling
> drug and alcohol addiction.

Justin Trudeau and wife

> 10. Monday was Debate Night, USA. In response to Hillary Clinton's
> accusation that he doesn't pay federal income taxes, the Donald
> replied, "That makes me..." what? Give the single word that
> completes his retort.

Vomit

> * Game 4 (2010-10-17), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. On Thursday the Swedish Academy announced that Bob Dylan would
> be the recipient of a Nobel Prize. In what?

Literature

> 3. Last week, an international group of scientists and legal experts
> revealed their plans for creating a new nation-state to be named
> "Asgardia", open to citizens of all nations, beginning some
> time next year. Where will this potential new nation be located?

Montana

> 4. After 34 years, this country, an island group in the Indian
> Ocean, left the Commonwealth of Nations, claiming that it has
> been "unfairly and unjustly" treated by the intergovernmental
> organization. Name the country.

Maldives

> 5. The world's longest-reigning monarch died on Thursday. Bhumibol
> Adulyadej ["POO-mee-PON a-DOON-ya-DAY"], also known as Rama IX,
> was king of which country?

Thailand

Marc Dashevsky

Oct 18, 2016, 5:51:49 PM10/18/16
In article <WIednXOnkMSUUpjF...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 3 (2010-10-03), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Florida Marlins all-star pitcher José Fernández died Sunday...
> in what sort of accident?
boating

> 2. In what American city did a rush-hour commuter train crash
> through a barrier last Thursday morning, killing one person
> and injuring over 100?
Hoboken (birthplace of Frank Sinatra)

> 3. "Do Not Say We Have Nothing" by Madeleine Thien, "The Wonder"
> by Emma Donoghue, and "Yiddish for Pirates" by Gary Barwin are
> among the nominees announced last week for which literary prize?
>
> 4. For the first time in his presidency, a Barack Obama veto
> was overridden by Congress, by votes of 348-77 in the House
> of Representatives and 97-1 in the Senate. What will the bill
> allow families of 9/11 victims to do?
sue other countries

> 5. What relatively rare lunar event occurred could be seen
> -- or rather, *not* seen -- in Toronto skies last Friday?
> Some fundamentalist Christian websites heralded it as a sign
> of the coming end times.
occultation of Aldebaran

> 6. Name the couple who were in Vancouver's poverty-stricken
> Downtown Eastside last Sunday meeting mothers who are battling
> drug and alcohol addiction.
>
> 7. Launched less than 2 years ago by Rogers and Shaw Communications
> as a homegrown competitor to Netflix, this streaming video
> service announced that it will be pulling the plug on
> November 30. Name it.
>
> 8. He died last week at the age of 87. Though best-known by far
> as a sportsman, he was also an accomplished pilot, holding the
> world record for circumnavigating the globe in a jet of the
> 17,600-24,600 lb. category. Name this sportsman and amateur
> pilot.
>
> 9. Following hard on this summer's non-air-conditioned subway-car
> fiasco, the TTC revealed last week that 5% of these machines
> on the streetcar fleet are currently not functioning.
> Which machines?
fare boxes

> 10. Monday was Debate Night, USA. In response to Hillary Clinton's
> accusation that he doesn't pay federal income taxes, the Donald
> replied, "That makes me..." what? Give the single word that
> completes his retort.
smart

> * Game 4 (2010-10-17), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. On Thursday the Swedish Academy announced that Bob Dylan would
> be the recipient of a Nobel Prize. In what?
Literature

> 2. In the words of "Late Night" host Seth Meyers: "There is
> currently a higher standard for host of the third hour of
> the 'Today Show' than there is for the Republican nominee
> for President." Name the host that NBC suspended last week
> after he was caught on tape in 2005 laughing along with Donald
> Trump's lewd comments.
Billy Bush

> 3. Last week, an international group of scientists and legal experts
> revealed their plans for creating a new nation-state to be named
> "Asgardia", open to citizens of all nations, beginning some
> time next year. Where will this potential new nation be located?
beyond the earth and its atmosphere

> 4. After 34 years, this country, an island group in the Indian
> Ocean, left the Commonwealth of Nations, claiming that it has
> been "unfairly and unjustly" treated by the intergovernmental
> organization. Name the country.
>
> 5. The world's longest-reigning monarch died on Thursday. Bhumibol
> Adulyadej ["POO-mee-PON a-DOON-ya-DAY"], also known as Rama IX,
> was king of which country?
Thailand

> 6. A former federal cabinet minister and former premier of Alberta,
> who held the latter office for 8 months in 2014-15, was killed
> in a plane crash in BC last week. Name this former premier.
>
> 7. Displayed during the last Blue Jays / Texas Rangers game,
> a fan's banner reading "WOULD RATHER GET PUNCHED IN MAY THAN
> KNOCKED OUT IN OCTOBER" became a sensation and is now displayed
> at the fan's Danforth pharmacy. Name the Texas player who
> punched José Bautista in May *and* who caused the error that
> lost last Sunday's game for Texas.
>
> 8. Toronto Maple Leafs rookie Auston Matthews entered the history
> books in his NHL debut on Wednesday. What did he do?
scored a hat trick

> 9. On October 10, after 99 years, North America's oldest private
> zoo closed its doors, following steeply declining attendance
> in the wake of animal-cruelty charges. Name the zoo.
>
> 10. After looking at economy, health, security, education, and
> leadership (among other factors), the Canadian Centre for Policy
> Alternatives presented its list of the best cities in Canada
> for women. Toronto was 11th. Which city topped the list?

Joshua Kreitzer

Oct 18, 2016, 10:06:44 PM10/18/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:WIednXOnkMSUUpjFnZ2dnUU7-
UPN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 3 (2010-10-03), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Florida Marlins all-star pitcher José Fernández died Sunday...
> in what sort of accident?

boat

> 4. For the first time in his presidency, a Barack Obama veto
> was overridden by Congress, by votes of 348-77 in the House
> of Representatives and 97-1 in the Senate. What will the bill
> allow families of 9/11 victims to do?

sue Saudi Arabia

> 6. Name the couple who were in Vancouver's poverty-stricken
> Downtown Eastside last Sunday meeting mothers who are battling
> drug and alcohol addiction.

the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge

> 8. He died last week at the age of 87. Though best-known by far
> as a sportsman, he was also an accomplished pilot, holding the
> world record for circumnavigating the globe in a jet of the
> 17,600-24,600 lb. category. Name this sportsman and amateur
> pilot.

Arnold Palmer

> 10. Monday was Debate Night, USA. In response to Hillary Clinton's
> accusation that he doesn't pay federal income taxes, the Donald
> replied, "That makes me..." what? Give the single word that
> completes his retort.

smart

> * Game 4 (2010-10-17), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. On Thursday the Swedish Academy announced that Bob Dylan would
> be the recipient of a Nobel Prize. In what?

literature

> 2. In the words of "Late Night" host Seth Meyers: "There is
> currently a higher standard for host of the third hour of
> the 'Today Show' than there is for the Republican nominee
> for President." Name the host that NBC suspended last week
> after he was caught on tape in 2005 laughing along with Donald
> Trump's lewd comments.

Billy Bush

> 4. After 34 years, this country, an island group in the Indian
> Ocean, left the Commonwealth of Nations, claiming that it has
> been "unfairly and unjustly" treated by the intergovernmental
> organization. Name the country.

Maldives; Seychelles

> 5. The world's longest-reigning monarch died on Thursday. Bhumibol
> Adulyadej ["POO-mee-PON a-DOON-ya-DAY"], also known as Rama IX,
> was king of which country?

Thailand

> 8. Toronto Maple Leafs rookie Auston Matthews entered the history
> books in his NHL debut on Wednesday. What did he do?

score 4 goals in his first game; score 3 goals in his first game

> 10. After looking at economy, health, security, education, and
> leadership (among other factors), the Canadian Centre for Policy
> Alternatives presented its list of the best cities in Canada
> for women. Toronto was 11th. Which city topped the list?

Ottawa; Winnipeg

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Mark Brader

Oct 21, 2016, 2:29:53 AM10/21/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on that date... For further
> information see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

In each of the two original games for this set, the current-events
round was the easiest round in that game.

> * Game 3 (2010-10-03), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Florida Marlins all-star pitcher José Fernández died Sunday...
> in what sort of accident?

His 32-foot boat ran aground on a rock jetty at high speed at night,
killing all three men on board. (It is not yet known who was driving.
Any reference to boating was sufficient.) 4 for Dan Blum, Peter,
Bruce, Pete, Marc, and Joshua.

> 2. In what American city did a rush-hour commuter train crash
> through a barrier last Thursday morning, killing one person
> and injuring over 100?

Hoboken, NJ. (Across the Hudson River from New York, NY.)
4 for Bruce, Erland, and Marc.

> 3. "Do Not Say We Have Nothing" by Madeleine Thien, "The Wonder"
> by Emma Donoghue, and "Yiddish for Pirates" by Gary Barwin are
> among the nominees announced last week for which literary prize?

Scotiabank Giller Prize. "Giller" was sufficient.

> 4. For the first time in his presidency, a Barack Obama veto
> was overridden by Congress, by votes of 348-77 in the House
> of Representatives and 97-1 in the Senate. What will the bill
> allow families of 9/11 victims to do?

Sue members of the Saudi Arabian government. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter,
Bruce, Pete, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. What relatively rare lunar event occurred could be seen
> -- or rather, *not* seen -- in Toronto skies last Friday?
> Some fundamentalist Christian websites heralded it as a sign
> of the coming end times.

The second new moon in the calendar month, which someone has now
decided should be called a "black moon". 4 for Bruce.

> 6. Name the couple who were in Vancouver's poverty-stricken
> Downtown Eastside last Sunday meeting mothers who are battling
> drug and alcohol addiction.

Prince William and his wife Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge.
(Any form of reference to them was sufficient.) 4 for Joshua
and Dan Tilque. 3 for Pete.

> 7. Launched less than 2 years ago by Rogers and Shaw Communications
> as a homegrown competitor to Netflix, this streaming video
> service announced that it will be pulling the plug on
> November 30. Name it.

Shomi.

> 8. He died last week at the age of 87. Though best-known by far
> as a sportsman, he was also an accomplished pilot, holding the
> world record for circumnavigating the globe in a jet of the
> 17,600-24,600 lb. category. Name this sportsman and amateur
> pilot.

Arnold Palmer. 4 for Peter, Pete, and Joshua.

That's how the circumnavigation record was reported in various news
sources when he died. However, as far as I can tell from Internet
sources, the correct weight class must have been 6,000-9,000 kg
(13,227-19,941 lb.; the plane was a Learjet 36) and Palmer no longer
held the record when he died. He and two other pilots set that record
in 1976, but the present record (also set in a Learjet) dates only
from 1996. Unfortunately the FAI web site's database of records lists
only current record-holders or holders of retired record catagories.

> 9. Following hard on this summer's non-air-conditioned subway-car
> fiasco, the TTC revealed last week that 5% of these machines
> on the streetcar fleet are currently not functioning.
> Which machines?

Presto card readers.

> 10. Monday was Debate Night, USA. In response to Hillary Clinton's
> accusation that he doesn't pay federal income taxes, the Donald
> replied, "That makes me..." what? Give the single word that
> completes his retort.

Smart. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Bruce, Pete, Marc, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> * Game 4 (2010-10-17), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. On Thursday the Swedish Academy announced that Bob Dylan would
> be the recipient of a Nobel Prize. In what?

Literature. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Peter, Bruce, Pete, Erland,
Marc, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. In the words of "Late Night" host Seth Meyers: "There is
> currently a higher standard for host of the third hour of
> the 'Today Show' than there is for the Republican nominee
> for President." Name the host that NBC suspended last week
> after he was caught on tape in 2005 laughing along with Donald
> Trump's lewd comments.

Billy Bush. (Nephew of George H.W. Bush and first cousin of George
W. Bush. He and the network subsequently agreed to part company.)
4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, Pete, Marc, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. Last week, an international group of scientists and legal experts
> revealed their plans for creating a new nation-state to be named
> "Asgardia", open to citizens of all nations, beginning some
> time next year. Where will this potential new nation be located?

In orbit. (Accepting "in space" and scoring "beyond the Earth and
its atmosphere" as almost correct.) 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, and Bruce.
3 for Marc.

> 4. After 34 years, this country, an island group in the Indian
> Ocean, left the Commonwealth of Nations, claiming that it has
> been "unfairly and unjustly" treated by the intergovernmental
> organization. Name the country.

Maldives. 4 for Pete, Erland, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Dan Blum
and Joshua. 2 for Peter.

> 5. The world's longest-reigning monarch died on Thursday. Bhumibol
> Adulyadej ["POO-mee-PON a-DOON-ya-DAY"], also known as Rama IX,
> was king of which country?

Thailand. 4 for everyone.

> 6. A former federal cabinet minister and former premier of Alberta,
> who held the latter office for 8 months in 2014-15, was killed
> in a plane crash in BC last week. Name this former premier.

Jim Prentice. No points for "Jim"!

> 7. Displayed during the last Blue Jays / Texas Rangers game,
> a fan's banner reading "WOULD RATHER GET PUNCHED IN MAY THAN
> KNOCKED OUT IN OCTOBER" became a sensation and is now displayed
> at the fan's Danforth pharmacy. Name the Texas player who
> punched José Bautista in May *and* who caused the error that
> lost last Sunday's game for Texas.

Rougned Odor. 4 for Pete.

> 8. Toronto Maple Leafs rookie Auston Matthews entered the history
> books in his NHL debut on Wednesday. What did he do?

Scored 4 goals. (That's now the record# for a player's first game
in the league, but you did not have to mention that part, which
was sort of implied in the question anyway.) 4 for Bruce and Pete.
3 for Joshua.

In fact Matthews was the *only* scorer for the Leafs that night,
as they lost 5-4 in overtime to the Ottawa Senators.

# - Okay, Joe Malone and Harry Hyland did each score 5 goals in
their first NHL game in 1917, but that was the year the NHL replaced
the NHA, and they'd simply moved over from the old league, so it's
appropriate not to count it.

> 9. On October 10, after 99 years, North America's oldest private
> zoo closed its doors, following steeply declining attendance
> in the wake of animal-cruelty charges. Name the zoo.

Bowmanville Zoo.

> 10. After looking at economy, health, security, education, and
> leadership (among other factors), the Canadian Centre for Policy
> Alternatives presented its list of the best cities in Canada
> for women. Toronto was 11th. Which city topped the list?

Victoria. 3 for Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 TOTALS
Stephen Perry 32 34 -- -- 66
Pete Gayde 4 12 19 27 62
Joshua Kreitzer 4 8 20 18 50
Dan Blum 7 8 12 19 46
Peter Smyth 8 4 16 14 42
Bruce Bowler -- -- 20 20 40
Dan Tilque 4 8 12 16 40
Marc Dashevsky 4 8 12 15 39
Erland Sommarskog 4 4 4 12 24

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "You keep using that word. I do not think it means
m...@vex.net | what you think it means." -- The Princess Bride

Jason Kreitzer

Oct 22, 2016, 11:59:35 PM10/22/16
On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 3:28:14 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> As I post this, QFTCI16 Game 9 has a bit under a day to run, and
> will be followed by the start of Game 10, concurrently with this
> current-events set.
>

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on that date.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the questions and place your answer below each one.) I will
> reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 3 (2010-10-03), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Florida Marlins all-star pitcher José Fernández died Sunday...
> in what sort of accident?
Boating
> 2. In what American city did a rush-hour commuter train crash
> through a barrier last Thursday morning, killing one person
> and injuring over 100?
>
> 3. "Do Not Say We Have Nothing" by Madeleine Thien, "The Wonder"
> by Emma Donoghue, and "Yiddish for Pirates" by Gary Barwin are
> among the nominees announced last week for which literary prize?
>
> 4. For the first time in his presidency, a Barack Obama veto
> was overridden by Congress, by votes of 348-77 in the House
> of Representatives and 97-1 in the Senate. What will the bill
> allow families of 9/11 victims to do?
Sue Saudi Arabia
> 5. What relatively rare lunar event occurred could be seen
> -- or rather, *not* seen -- in Toronto skies last Friday?
> Some fundamentalist Christian websites heralded it as a sign
> of the coming end times.
>
> 6. Name the couple who were in Vancouver's poverty-stricken
> Downtown Eastside last Sunday meeting mothers who are battling
> drug and alcohol addiction.
>
> 7. Launched less than 2 years ago by Rogers and Shaw Communications
> as a homegrown competitor to Netflix, this streaming video
> service announced that it will be pulling the plug on
> November 30. Name it.
>

> 8. He died last week at the age of 87. Though best-known by far
> as a sportsman, he was also an accomplished pilot, holding the
> world record for circumnavigating the globe in a jet of the
> 17,600-24,600 lb. category. Name this sportsman and amateur
> pilot.
Arnold Palmer
> 9. Following hard on this summer's non-air-conditioned subway-car
> fiasco, the TTC revealed last week that 5% of these machines
> on the streetcar fleet are currently not functioning.
> Which machines?
>
> 10. Monday was Debate Night, USA. In response to Hillary Clinton's
> accusation that he doesn't pay federal income taxes, the Donald
> replied, "That makes me..." what? Give the single word that
> completes his retort.
Smart

> * Game 4 (2010-10-17), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. On Thursday the Swedish Academy announced that Bob Dylan would
> be the recipient of a Nobel Prize. In what?
Literature
> 2. In the words of "Late Night" host Seth Meyers: "There is
> currently a higher standard for host of the third hour of
> the 'Today Show' than there is for the Republican nominee
> for President." Name the host that NBC suspended last week
> after he was caught on tape in 2005 laughing along with Donald
> Trump's lewd comments.
Billy Bush

Mark Brader

Oct 23, 2016, 12:11:23 AM10/23/16
If Jason's Kreitzer's answers had been posted on time, he would have
scored 16 points on Round 3 and 8 on Round 4.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "No flames were used in the creation of
m...@vex.net | this message." -- Ray Depew

Mark Brader

Nov 29, 2016, 7:19:02 PM11/29/16
On 2016-10-21, I wrote:
> In each of the two original games for this set, the current-events
> round was the easiest round in that game.

In fact, it turns out that the current-events round for Game 3 was
the easiest round of the entire season.

Now you know.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I conducted a Usenet poll ... on this subject ...
m...@vex.net | Laura is single. By a 2-1 margin." --Ken Perlow