Calvin's Quiz #476

Calvin

Feb 23, 2017, 5:42:56 PM2/23/17

1 In his 1942 short story "Runaround" Isaac Asimov introduced his three laws governing what?
2 The biennial world championship contract bridge tournament for national teams is better known by what alliterative two word title?
3 Which character did David Jasen portray in the BBC sitcom "Only Fools and Horses"?
4 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following line: "And if I get scared, you're always around."?
5 Copacabana Beach is located in which city?
6 Which left-arm Pakistani paceman took more than 500 One Day International wickets in a career ranging from 1984 to 2003?
7 Though technically a territory of the Commonwealth, Jervis Bay is located on the coast of which Australian state or territory?
8 Which car manufacturer's logo features four rings?
9 Who was the Roman equivalent of the Greek god Hermes?
10 "Ethics", published posthumously in 1677, was the magnum opus of which Dutch rationalist philosopher (1632-1677)?

cheers,
calvin

Don Piven

Feb 23, 2017, 5:59:10 PM2/23/17
On 2/23/17 16:42, Calvin wrote:

> 1 In his 1942 short story "Runaround" Isaac Asimov introduced his three laws governing what?

Robotics.

> 2 The biennial world championship contract bridge tournament for national teams is better known by what alliterative two word title?
> 3 Which character did David Jasen portray in the BBC sitcom "Only Fools and Horses"?
> 4 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following line: "And if I get scared, you're always around."?
> 5 Copacabana Beach is located in which city?

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

> 6 Which left-arm Pakistani paceman took more than 500 One Day International wickets in a career ranging from 1984 to 2003?
> 7 Though technically a territory of the Commonwealth, Jervis Bay is located on the coast of which Australian state or territory?
> 8 Which car manufacturer's logo features four rings?

Audi

> 9 Who was the Roman equivalent of the Greek god Hermes?

Mercury

Mark Brader

Feb 23, 2017, 9:35:49 PM2/23/17
"Calvin":
> 1 In his 1942 short story "Runaround" Isaac Asimov introduced
> his three laws governing what?

Robotics.

> 2 The biennial world championship contract bridge tournament for
> national teams is better known by what alliterative two word
> title?

Bermuda Bowl.

> 3 Which character did David Jasen portray in the BBC sitcom
> "Only Fools and Horses"?

Johnson.

> 4 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following line: "And if I
> get scared, you're always around."?

Johnson.

> 5 Copacabana Beach is located in which city?

Rio de Janeiro?

> 6 Which left-arm Pakistani paceman took more than 500 One Day
> International wickets in a career ranging from 1984 to 2003?

Johnson.

> 7 Though technically a territory of the Commonwealth, Jervis Bay
> is located on the coast of which Australian state or territory?

Johnson -- er, I mean New South Wales.

> 8 Which car manufacturer's logo features four rings?

Audi, I hear. :-)

> 9 Who was the Roman equivalent of the Greek god Hermes?

Mercury.

> 10 "Ethics", published posthumously in 1677, was the magnum opus
> of which Dutch rationalist philosopher (1632-1677)?

Johnson -- er, make that Erasmus, but I'm sure it's equally wrong.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pedantic and
m...@vex.net that's just as good." -- D Gary Grady

Bruce

Feb 24, 2017, 9:08:08 AM2/24/17
On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 14:42:55 -0800, Calvin wrote:

> 1 In his 1942 short story "Runaround" Isaac Asimov introduced his
> three laws governing what?

robot behavior

> 2 The biennial world championship contract bridge tournament for
> national teams is better known by what alliterative two word title?
> 3 Which character did David Jasen portray in the BBC sitcom "Only
> Fools and Horses"?
> 4 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following line: "And if I get
> scared, you're always around."?
> 5 Copacabana Beach is located in which city?

Rio

> 6 Which left-arm Pakistani paceman took more than 500 One Day
> International wickets in a career ranging from 1984 to 2003?
> 7 Though technically a territory of the Commonwealth, Jervis Bay is
> located on the coast of which Australian state or territory?

New South Wales

> 8 Which car manufacturer's logo features four rings?

Audi

> 9 Who was the Roman equivalent of the Greek god Hermes?

Mercury

Peter Smyth

Feb 24, 2017, 11:32:04 AM2/24/17
Calvin wrote:

> 1 In his 1942 short story "Runaround" Isaac Asimov introduced his
> three laws governing what?
Robotics
> 2 The biennial world championship contract bridge tournament for
> national teams is better known by what alliterative two word title?
Diamond Decks
> 3 Which character did David Jasen portray in the BBC sitcom "Only
> Fools and Horses"?
Derek "Del Boy" Trotter
> 4 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following line: "And if I get
> scared, you're always around."?
>
> 5 Copacabana Beach is located in which city?
Rio de Janeiro
> 6 Which left-arm Pakistani paceman took more than 500 One Day
> International wickets in a career ranging from 1984 to 2003?
Wasim Akram
> 7 Though technically a territory of the Commonwealth, Jervis Bay is
> located on the coast of which Australian state or territory?
Queensland
> 8 Which car manufacturer's logo features four rings?
AUdi
> 9 Who was the Roman equivalent of the Greek god Hermes?
>
> 10 "Ethics", published posthumously in 1677, was the magnum opus of
> which Dutch rationalist philosopher (1632-1677)?
Kant

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 24, 2017, 1:32:55 PM2/24/17
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 In his 1942 short story "Runaround" Isaac Asimov introduced his
> three laws governing what?

Robots

> 2 The biennial world championship contract bridge tournament for
> national teams is better known by what alliterative two word title?

Bermuda Bowl

> 5 Copacabana Beach is located in which city?

Rio de Janeiro

> 6 Which left-arm Pakistani paceman took more than 500 One Day
> International wickets in a career ranging from 1984 to 2003?

Singh

> 7 Though technically a territory of the Commonwealth, Jervis Bay is
> located on the coast of which Australian state or territory?

Queensland

> 8 Which car manufacturer's logo features four rings?

Audi

> 9 Who was the Roman equivalent of the Greek god Hermes?

Janus

> 10 "Ethics", published posthumously in 1677, was the magnum opus of
> which Dutch rationalist philosopher (1632-1677)?

Calvin

Gareth Owen

Feb 24, 2017, 3:13:12 PM2/24/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 In his 1942 short story "Runaround" Isaac Asimov introduced his
> three laws governing what?

Robotics

> 2 The biennial world championship contract bridge tournament for
> national teams is better known by what alliterative two word title?

No idea

> 3 Which character did David Jasen portray in the BBC sitcom "Only
> Fools and Horses"?

Derek Trotter

> 4 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following line: "And if I get
> scared, you're always around."?

You're So Good To Me???

> 5 Copacabana Beach is located in which city?

Rio

> 6 Which left-arm Pakistani paceman took more than 500 One Day
> International wickets in a career ranging from 1984 to 2003?

Wasim Akram

> 7 Though technically a territory of the Commonwealth, Jervis Bay is
> located on the coast of which Australian state or territory?

Tasmania?

> 8 Which car manufacturer's logo features four rings?

Audi

> 9 Who was the Roman equivalent of the Greek god Hermes?

Mercury

> 10 "Ethics", published posthumously in 1677, was the magnum opus of
> which Dutch rationalist philosopher (1632-1677)?

Kant? (Nah, that's wrong)

Mark Brader

Feb 24, 2017, 3:47:38 PM2/24/17
"Calvin":
> > 1 In his 1942 short story "Runaround" Isaac Asimov introduced his
> > three laws governing what?

Erland Sommarskog:
> Robots

Calvin, since you said "governing what" (asking for the topic of the
laws) rather than "of what" (asking for their title), I suggest that
answers like this should be accepted.
--
Mark Brader | "I don't mean to be snooty or snippy or some other
m...@vex.net | six-letter word starting with s, ending in y, and
| Didn't mean to be that either." -- Hashi Lebwohl

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 24, 2017, 5:53:21 PM2/24/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> "Calvin":
>> > 1 In his 1942 short story "Runaround" Isaac Asimov introduced his
>> > three laws governing what?
>
> Erland Sommarskog:
>> Robots
>
> Calvin, since you said "governing what" (asking for the topic of the
> laws) rather than "of what" (asking for their title), I suggest that
> answers like this should be accepted.

I would certainly hope so. I was considering some more sophisticated
answers, but since the laws defines the behaviour of robot, that seems
a perfectly valid answer.

Dan Blum

Feb 25, 2017, 12:09:23 AM2/25/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1 In his 1942 short story "Runaround" Isaac Asimov introduced his three laws governing what?

robots

> 5 Copacabana Beach is located in which city?

Rio de Janeiro

> 7 Though technically a territory of the Commonwealth, Jervis Bay is located on the coast of which Australian state or territory?

Northern Territory

> 8 Which car manufacturer's logo features four rings?

Audi

> 9 Who was the Roman equivalent of the Greek god Hermes?

Mercury

> 10 "Ethics", published posthumously in 1677, was the magnum opus of which Dutch rationalist philosopher (1632-1677)?

Kant

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Tilque

Feb 26, 2017, 5:06:42 AM2/26/17
Calvin wrote:
> 1 In his 1942 short story "Runaround" Isaac Asimov introduced his three laws governing what?

robotics

> 2 The biennial world championship contract bridge tournament for national teams is better known by what alliterative two word title?
> 3 Which character did David Jasen portray in the BBC sitcom "Only Fools and Horses"?
> 4 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following line: "And if I get scared, you're always around."?
> 5 Copacabana Beach is located in which city?

Rio de Janiero

> 6 Which left-arm Pakistani paceman took more than 500 One Day International wickets in a career ranging from 1984 to 2003?
> 7 Though technically a territory of the Commonwealth, Jervis Bay is located on the coast of which Australian state or territory?

Western Australia

> 8 Which car manufacturer's logo features four rings?

Audi

> 9 Who was the Roman equivalent of the Greek god Hermes?

Asclepius ??

> 10 "Ethics", published posthumously in 1677, was the magnum opus of which Dutch rationalist philosopher (1632-1677)?

Erasmus

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Feb 26, 2017, 9:52:46 PM2/26/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 In his 1942 short story "Runaround" Isaac Asimov introduced his
> three laws governing what?

Robotics

> 2 The biennial world championship
> contract bridge tournament for national teams is better known by what
> alliterative two word title?
> 3 Which character did David Jasen
> portray in the BBC sitcom "Only Fools and Horses"?
> 4 Which hit
> song of 1965 includes the following line: "And if I get scared, you're
> always around."?
> 5 Copacabana Beach is located in which city?

Rio de Janeiro

> 6 Which left-arm Pakistani paceman took more than 500 One Day
> International wickets in a career ranging from 1984 to 2003?
> 7 Though technically a territory of the Commonwealth, Jervis Bay is
> located on the coast of which Australian state or territory?
> 8 Which car manufacturer's logo features four rings?

Audi

> 9 Who was the Roman equivalent of the Greek god Hermes?

Pan

> 10 "Ethics", published
> posthumously in 1677, was the magnum opus of which Dutch rationalist
> philosopher (1632-1677)?
>
> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Marc Dashevsky

Feb 27, 2017, 5:27:56 AM2/27/17
In article <bbdca9b9-c55a-443d...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 In his 1942 short story "Runaround" Isaac Asimov introduced his three laws governing what?
robots

> 2 The biennial world championship contract bridge tournament for national teams is better known by what alliterative two word title?
> 3 Which character did David Jasen portray in the BBC sitcom "Only Fools and Horses"?
> 4 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following line: "And if I get scared, you're always around."?
I Got You Babe

> 5 Copacabana Beach is located in which city?
Rio de Janeiro

> 6 Which left-arm Pakistani paceman took more than 500 One Day International wickets in a career ranging from 1984 to 2003?
> 7 Though technically a territory of the Commonwealth, Jervis Bay is located on the coast of which Australian state or territory?
> 8 Which car manufacturer's logo features four rings?
Audi

> 9 Who was the Roman equivalent of the Greek god Hermes?
Mercury

> 10 "Ethics", published posthumously in 1677, was the magnum opus of which Dutch rationalist philosopher (1632-1677)?
Spinoza

ArenEss

Feb 27, 2017, 1:49:40 PM2/27/17
On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 14:42:55 -0800 (PST), Calvin <334...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>1 In his 1942 short story "Runaround" Isaac Asimov introduced his three laws governing what?
Robotics?

>2 The biennial world championship contract bridge tournament for national teams is better known by what alliterative two word title?
>3 Which character did David Jasen portray in the BBC sitcom "Only Fools and Horses"?
>4 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following line: "And if I get scared, you're always around."?
I Got You Babe (Sonny and Cher)

>5 Copacabana Beach is located in which city?
Rio de Janiero

>6 Which left-arm Pakistani paceman took more than 500 One Day International wickets in a career ranging from 1984 to 2003?
>7 Though technically a territory of the Commonwealth, Jervis Bay is located on the coast of which Australian state or territory?
New South Wales

>8 Which car manufacturer's logo features four rings?
Audi

>9 Who was the Roman equivalent of the Greek god Hermes?
Mercury

>10 "Ethics", published posthumously in 1677, was the magnum opus of which Dutch rationalist philosopher (1632-1677)?
Van der Ender?

>cheers,
>calvin

ArenEss

Calvin

Mar 1, 2017, 10:54:48 PM3/1/17
On Friday, February 24, 2017 at 8:42:56 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 In his 1942 short story "Runaround" Isaac Asimov introduced his three laws governing what?

Robotics [or similar]

> 2 The biennial world championship contract bridge tournament for national teams is better known by what alliterative two word title?

Bermuda Bowl

> 3 Which character did David Jasen portray in the BBC sitcom "Only Fools and Horses"?

Derek "Del Boy" Trotter
Singleton for Gareth

> 4 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following line: "And if I get scared, you're always around."?

I Got You Babe

> 5 Copacabana Beach is located in which city?

Rio

> 6 Which left-arm Pakistani paceman took more than 500 One Day International wickets in a career ranging from 1984 to 2003?

Wasim Akram
Singleton for Gareth

> 7 Though technically a territory of the Commonwealth, Jervis Bay is located on the coast of which Australian state or territory?

New South Wales
I wouldn't normally ask such an Australian-centric question but I'm sure this came up once before, possibly in one or Mark's rare entries quizzes. There was a reasonable chance of guessing right too.

> 8 Which car manufacturer's logo features four rings?

Audi

> 9 Who was the Roman equivalent of the Greek god Hermes?

Mercury

> 10 "Ethics", published posthumously in 1677, was the magnum opus of which Dutch rationalist philosopher (1632-1677)?

Spinoza
Singleton for Marc

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 476
1 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 6 39 Gareth Owen
1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 6 40 Marc Dashevsky
1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 6 43 Mark Brader
1 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 6 43 Aren Ess
1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 5 41 Bruce Bowler
1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 5 41 Dan Blum
1 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 4 32 Erland S
1 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 4 37 Don Piven
1 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 3 30 Dan Tilque
1 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 3 30 Pete Gayde
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
10 2 1 2 10 1 4 10 7 1 48 48%

Congratulations to Gareth whose 2 singletons win it on the TB. I vaguely recollect having 3 singletons in a game once before, but it is still remarkable.

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 476
1 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 6 39 Gareth Owen
1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 6 40 Marc Dashevsky
1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 6 43 Mark Brader
1 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 6 43 Aren Ess
1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 5 41 Bruce Bowler
1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 5 41 Dan Blum
1 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 4 32 Erland S
1 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 4 37 Don Piven
1 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 3 30 Dan Tilque
1 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 3 30 Pete Gayde
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
10 2 1 2 10 1 4 10 7 1 48 48%

cheers,
calvin

gwo...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2017, 6:55:27 AM3/3/17
On Thursday, March 2, 2017 at 3:54:48 AM UTC, Calvin wrote:

> > 3 Which character did David Jasen portray in the BBC sitcom "Only Fools and Horses"?
>
> Derek "Del Boy" Trotter
> Singleton for Gareth

Funny how a character who has been repeatedly voted among the most beloved UK TV characters ever has literally zero reach outside the UK. In a British quiz this would be considered as easy as a question could get.

I'm trying to think who the current US equivalent would be - we're talking "Sam Malone", "Hawkeye Pierce", "Ross & Rachel" levels of name recognition.