QFTCIMM16 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: river borders, cold

Mark Brader

Jan 9, 2017, 2:12:48 AM1/9/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-17,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 4, Round 7 - Geography - River Borders

We'll give you the name of a river that acts as a border between
two countries, or between three countries (i.e. two one one side
and one on the other). You simply name *one* of those countries.

The river might be the entire border, or only part of the border
(like the Detroit River). Answers may repeat.

1. Paraná.
2. Brahmaputra.
3. Tigris.
4. Orinoco.
5. Minho.
6. Amur.
7. Hall's Stream.
8. Ubangi.
9. Morava.
10. Odra (or Oder).

After completing the round, decode the rot13: Vs lbh anzrq gur
Pbatb sbe nal nafjre, tb onpx naq fnl juvpu bar.

* Game 4, Round 8 - Science - The Science of Cold

1. There is a key temperature at which water becomes its densest.
Throughout the north, when the upper water of a lake reaches
this temperature in the spring or fall, it sinks to the bottom,
mixing nutrients within the water column for the benefit of
all living things. To the nearest whole degree, what is this
temperature where water is densest?

2. In the arctic and subarctic, groundwater under a recently
drained pond can freeze and, over time, thrust the soil upward
into large mounds reaching up to 70 m in height and 600 m
in diameter. Name these mounds, common in the Tuktoyaktuk area.

3. What is the scientific term (derived from Latin), for the world
"beneath the snow", where many animals such as moles and voles
can live in relative comfort?

4. Tabular, blocky, wedge, dome, pinnacle, dry dock, and growler
are all terms that describe variations of *what* cold-weather
phenomenon?

5. Within deep snow, the heat of the earth can cause ice crystals
to turn directly to water vapor, which rises through the
snowpack, where it refreezes and forms a crust on the snow.
What is the scientific name for the process of ice turning
directly to vapor, without passing through a liquid state first?

6. Ice crystals high in the atmosphere can refract rays of light
about 22°, creating a halo around the sun. On occasion, this
refraction can create the appearance of two smaller suns on
either side of the actual sun. What is this phenomenon called?

7. What is the common term for the muscular effect known as
"horripilation"?

reduced to keep the core warm. But 5% of people sometimes
experience excessively reduced blood flow to the fingers
and toes, causing them to turn white and numb. What is this
condition, named for a 19th-century French physician?

9. 6 years after little Louise Brown of England became a household
name, Zoe Leyland of Melbourne Australia entered the history
books in 1984, for what cold-related "first"?

10. Name the American who pioneered the process of flash-freezing
food by exposing it to supercooled substances, such as liquid
nitrogen.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Accuracy is many ways more important speed."
m...@vex.net | --David Kleinecke

Marc Dashevsky

Jan 9, 2017, 3:15:37 AM1/9/17
In article <wvednQeENa12qu7F...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 4, Round 7 - Geography - River Borders
>
> We'll give you the name of a river that acts as a border between
> two countries, or between three countries (i.e. two one one side
> and one on the other). You simply name *one* of those countries.
>
> The river might be the entire border, or only part of the border
> (like the Detroit River). Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. Paraná.
Brazil

> 2. Brahmaputra.
India

> 3. Tigris.
Iraq

> 4. Orinoco.
Venezuela

> 5. Minho.
> 6. Amur.
Russia

> 7. Hall's Stream.
> 8. Ubangi.
> 9. Morava.
Czechia

> 10. Odra (or Oder).
Germany

> After completing the round, decode the rot13: Vs lbh anzrq gur
> Pbatb sbe nal nafjre, tb onpx naq fnl juvpu bar.
>

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Science - The Science of Cold
>
> 1. There is a key temperature at which water becomes its densest.
> Throughout the north, when the upper water of a lake reaches
> this temperature in the spring or fall, it sinks to the bottom,
> mixing nutrients within the water column for the benefit of
> all living things. To the nearest whole degree, what is this
> temperature where water is densest?
4 degrees C

> 2. In the arctic and subarctic, groundwater under a recently
> drained pond can freeze and, over time, thrust the soil upward
> into large mounds reaching up to 70 m in height and 600 m
> in diameter. Name these mounds, common in the Tuktoyaktuk area.
>
> 3. What is the scientific term (derived from Latin), for the world
> "beneath the snow", where many animals such as moles and voles
> can live in relative comfort?
>
> 4. Tabular, blocky, wedge, dome, pinnacle, dry dock, and growler
> are all terms that describe variations of *what* cold-weather
> phenomenon?
>
> 5. Within deep snow, the heat of the earth can cause ice crystals
> to turn directly to water vapor, which rises through the
> snowpack, where it refreezes and forms a crust on the snow.
> What is the scientific name for the process of ice turning
> directly to vapor, without passing through a liquid state first?
sublimation

> 6. Ice crystals high in the atmosphere can refract rays of light
> about 22°, creating a halo around the sun. On occasion, this
> refraction can create the appearance of two smaller suns on
> either side of the actual sun. What is this phenomenon called?
sun dogs

> 7. What is the common term for the muscular effect known as
> "horripilation"?
goose bumps

> reduced to keep the core warm. But 5% of people sometimes
> experience excessively reduced blood flow to the fingers
> and toes, causing them to turn white and numb. What is this
> condition, named for a 19th-century French physician?
>
> 9. 6 years after little Louise Brown of England became a household
> name, Zoe Leyland of Melbourne Australia entered the history
> books in 1984, for what cold-related "first"?
produced from a frozen embryo

> 10. Name the American who pioneered the process of flash-freezing
> food by exposing it to supercooled substances, such as liquid
> nitrogen.
Clarence Birdseye

Dan Tilque

Jan 9, 2017, 5:04:15 AM1/9/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Geography - River Borders
>
> We'll give you the name of a river that acts as a border between
> two countries, or between three countries (i.e. two one one side
> and one on the other). You simply name *one* of those countries.
>
> The river might be the entire border, or only part of the border
> (like the Detroit River). Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. Paraná.

Brazil

> 2. Brahmaputra.

Bangladesh

> 3. Tigris.

Turkey

> 4. Orinoco.

Venezuela

> 5. Minho.
> 6. Amur.
> 7. Hall's Stream.
> 8. Ubangi.
> 9. Morava.
> 10. Odra (or Oder).

Poland

> After completing the round, decode the rot13: Vs lbh anzrq gur
> Pbatb sbe nal nafjre, tb onpx naq fnl juvpu bar.
>

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Science - The Science of Cold
>
> 1. There is a key temperature at which water becomes its densest.
> Throughout the north, when the upper water of a lake reaches
> this temperature in the spring or fall, it sinks to the bottom,
> mixing nutrients within the water column for the benefit of
> all living things. To the nearest whole degree, what is this
> temperature where water is densest?

4 degrees C

> 2. In the arctic and subarctic, groundwater under a recently
> drained pond can freeze and, over time, thrust the soil upward
> into large mounds reaching up to 70 m in height and 600 m
> in diameter. Name these mounds, common in the Tuktoyaktuk area.

pingo

> 3. What is the scientific term (derived from Latin), for the world
> "beneath the snow", where many animals such as moles and voles
> can live in relative comfort?
>
> 4. Tabular, blocky, wedge, dome, pinnacle, dry dock, and growler
> are all terms that describe variations of *what* cold-weather
> phenomenon?

iceberg

> 5. Within deep snow, the heat of the earth can cause ice crystals
> to turn directly to water vapor, which rises through the
> snowpack, where it refreezes and forms a crust on the snow.
> What is the scientific name for the process of ice turning
> directly to vapor, without passing through a liquid state first?

sublimation

> 6. Ice crystals high in the atmosphere can refract rays of light
> about 22°, creating a halo around the sun. On occasion, this
> refraction can create the appearance of two smaller suns on
> either side of the actual sun. What is this phenomenon called?

sun dogs

> 7. What is the common term for the muscular effect known as
> "horripilation"?

goose bumps

> reduced to keep the core warm. But 5% of people sometimes
> experience excessively reduced blood flow to the fingers
> and toes, causing them to turn white and numb. What is this
> condition, named for a 19th-century French physician?
>
> 9. 6 years after little Louise Brown of England became a household
> name, Zoe Leyland of Melbourne Australia entered the history
> books in 1984, for what cold-related "first"?
>
> 10. Name the American who pioneered the process of flash-freezing
> food by exposing it to supercooled substances, such as liquid
> nitrogen.

Birdseye

--
Dan Tilque

Peter Smyth

Jan 9, 2017, 5:39:50 AM1/9/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-17,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Geography - River Borders
>
> We'll give you the name of a river that acts as a border between
> two countries, or between three countries (i.e. two one one side
> and one on the other). You simply name one of those countries.
>
> The river might be the entire border, or only part of the border
> (like the Detroit River). Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. Paraná.
Brazil
> 2. Brahmaputra.
India
> 3. Tigris.
Iran
> 4. Orinoco.
Mexico
> 5. Minho.
Portugal
> 6. Amur.
Turkey
> 7. Hall's Stream.
Canada
> 8. Ubangi.
Kenya
> 9. Morava.
Russia
> 10. Odra (or Oder).
Russia

> After completing the round, decode the rot13: If you named the
> Congo for any answer, go back and say which one.
>

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Science - The Science of Cold
>
> 1. There is a key temperature at which water becomes its densest.
> Throughout the north, when the upper water of a lake reaches
> this temperature in the spring or fall, it sinks to the bottom,
> mixing nutrients within the water column for the benefit of
> all living things. To the nearest whole degree, what is this
> temperature where water is densest?
4 degrees
> 2. In the arctic and subarctic, groundwater under a recently
> drained pond can freeze and, over time, thrust the soil upward
> into large mounds reaching up to 70 m in height and 600 m
> in diameter. Name these mounds, common in the Tuktoyaktuk area.
>
> 3. What is the scientific term (derived from Latin), for the world
> "beneath the snow", where many animals such as moles and voles
> can live in relative comfort?
>
> 4. Tabular, blocky, wedge, dome, pinnacle, dry dock, and growler
> are all terms that describe variations of what cold-weather
> phenomenon?
Icicles
> 5. Within deep snow, the heat of the earth can cause ice crystals
> to turn directly to water vapor, which rises through the
> snowpack, where it refreezes and forms a crust on the snow.
> What is the scientific name for the process of ice turning
> directly to vapor, without passing through a liquid state first?
Sublimation
> 6. Ice crystals high in the atmosphere can refract rays of light
> about 22°, creating a halo around the sun. On occasion, this
> refraction can create the appearance of two smaller suns on
> either side of the actual sun. What is this phenomenon called?
Bailey's Beads
> 7. What is the common term for the muscular effect known as
> "horripilation"?
Shivering
> reduced to keep the core warm. But 5% of people sometimes
> experience excessively reduced blood flow to the fingers
> and toes, causing them to turn white and numb. What is this
> condition, named for a 19th-century French physician?
Reynaud's syndrome
> 9. 6 years after little Louise Brown of England became a household
> name, Zoe Leyland of Melbourne Australia entered the history
> books in 1984, for what cold-related "first"?
First frozen embryo to result in a live birth
> 10. Name the American who pioneered the process of flash-freezing
> food by exposing it to supercooled substances, such as liquid
> nitrogen.

Peter Smyth

Dan Blum

Jan 9, 2017, 9:59:03 AM1/9/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Geography - River Borders

> 1. Paran?.

Brazil

> 2. Brahmaputra.

India

> 3. Tigris.

Iraq

> 4. Orinoco.

Venezuela; Argentina

> 6. Amur.

Russia

> 8. Ubangi.

Democratic Republic of the Congo

> 9. Morava.

Russia

> 10. Odra (or Oder).

Germany

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Science - The Science of Cold

> 1. There is a key temperature at which water becomes its densest.
> Throughout the north, when the upper water of a lake reaches
> this temperature in the spring or fall, it sinks to the bottom,
> mixing nutrients within the water column for the benefit of
> all living things. To the nearest whole degree, what is this
> temperature where water is densest?

4 degrees Celsius

> 4. Tabular, blocky, wedge, dome, pinnacle, dry dock, and growler
> are all terms that describe variations of *what* cold-weather
> phenomenon?

snow drifts

> 5. Within deep snow, the heat of the earth can cause ice crystals
> to turn directly to water vapor, which rises through the
> snowpack, where it refreezes and forms a crust on the snow.
> What is the scientific name for the process of ice turning
> directly to vapor, without passing through a liquid state first?

sublimination

> 6. Ice crystals high in the atmosphere can refract rays of light
> about 22?, creating a halo around the sun. On occasion, this
> refraction can create the appearance of two smaller suns on
> either side of the actual sun. What is this phenomenon called?

sundog

> 7. What is the common term for the muscular effect known as
> "horripilation"?

goosebumps

> reduced to keep the core warm. But 5% of people sometimes
> experience excessively reduced blood flow to the fingers
> and toes, causing them to turn white and numb. What is this
> condition, named for a 19th-century French physician?

Raynaud's syndrome

> 9. 6 years after little Louise Brown of England became a household
> name, Zoe Leyland of Melbourne Australia entered the history
> books in 1984, for what cold-related "first"?

freezing to "death" and being revived

> 10. Name the American who pioneered the process of flash-freezing
> food by exposing it to supercooled substances, such as liquid
> nitrogen.

Birdseye

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Don Piven

Jan 9, 2017, 11:38:05 AM1/9/17
On 1/9/17 01:12, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-17,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Geography - River Borders
>
> We'll give you the name of a river that acts as a border between
> two countries, or between three countries (i.e. two one one side
> and one on the other). You simply name *one* of those countries.
>
> The river might be the entire border, or only part of the border
> (like the Detroit River). Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. Paraná.

Brazil.

> 2. Brahmaputra.

Bangladesh.

> 3. Tigris.

Iraq.

> 4. Orinoco.

Venezuela.

> 5. Minho.
> 6. Amur.

Mongolia.

> 7. Hall's Stream.

Scotland.

> 8. Ubangi.

Rwanda.

> 9. Morava.

Czech Republic.

> 10. Odra (or Oder).

Poland.

> After completing the round, decode the rot13: Vs lbh anzrq gur
> Pbatb sbe nal nafjre, tb onpx naq fnl juvpu bar.
>

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Science - The Science of Cold
>
> 1. There is a key temperature at which water becomes its densest.
> Throughout the north, when the upper water of a lake reaches
> this temperature in the spring or fall, it sinks to the bottom,
> mixing nutrients within the water column for the benefit of
> all living things. To the nearest whole degree, what is this
> temperature where water is densest?

39F.

> 2. In the arctic and subarctic, groundwater under a recently
> drained pond can freeze and, over time, thrust the soil upward
> into large mounds reaching up to 70 m in height and 600 m
> in diameter. Name these mounds, common in the Tuktoyaktuk area.

Frost heaves.

> 3. What is the scientific term (derived from Latin), for the world
> "beneath the snow", where many animals such as moles and voles
> can live in relative comfort?

> 4. Tabular, blocky, wedge, dome, pinnacle, dry dock, and growler
> are all terms that describe variations of *what* cold-weather
> phenomenon?

Ice.

> 5. Within deep snow, the heat of the earth can cause ice crystals
> to turn directly to water vapor, which rises through the
> snowpack, where it refreezes and forms a crust on the snow.
> What is the scientific name for the process of ice turning
> directly to vapor, without passing through a liquid state first?

Sublimation.

> 6. Ice crystals high in the atmosphere can refract rays of light
> about 22°, creating a halo around the sun. On occasion, this
> refraction can create the appearance of two smaller suns on
> either side of the actual sun. What is this phenomenon called?

Sun dogs.

> 7. What is the common term for the muscular effect known as
> "horripilation"?

Shivering.

> reduced to keep the core warm. But 5% of people sometimes
> experience excessively reduced blood flow to the fingers
> and toes, causing them to turn white and numb. What is this
> condition, named for a 19th-century French physician?

> 9. 6 years after little Louise Brown of England became a household
> name, Zoe Leyland of Melbourne Australia entered the history
> books in 1984, for what cold-related "first"?

Being conceived from a frozen ovum.

> 10. Name the American who pioneered the process of flash-freezing
> food by exposing it to supercooled substances, such as liquid
> nitrogen.

Birdseye.

Pete

Jan 9, 2017, 4:09:30 PM1/9/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:wvednQeENa12qu7FnZ2dnUU7-
b_N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-17,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Geography - River Borders
>
> We'll give you the name of a river that acts as a border between
> two countries, or between three countries (i.e. two one one side
> and one on the other). You simply name *one* of those countries.
>
> The river might be the entire border, or only part of the border
> (like the Detroit River). Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. Paraná.

Brazil

> 2. Brahmaputra.

India

> 3. Tigris.

Iraq

> 4. Orinoco.

Venezuela; Colombia

> 5. Minho.

Brazil

> 6. Amur.

Iran; Russia

> 7. Hall's Stream.

South Africa

> 8. Ubangi.

Republic of Congo; DR Congo

> 9. Morava.

Czech Republic; Hungary

> 10. Odra (or Oder).

Germany

> After completing the round, decode the rot13: Vs lbh anzrq gur
> Pbatb sbe nal nafjre, tb onpx naq fnl juvpu bar.
>

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Science - The Science of Cold
>
> 1. There is a key temperature at which water becomes its densest.
> Throughout the north, when the upper water of a lake reaches
> this temperature in the spring or fall, it sinks to the bottom,
> mixing nutrients within the water column for the benefit of
> all living things. To the nearest whole degree, what is this
> temperature where water is densest?

40 degrees F

> 2. In the arctic and subarctic, groundwater under a recently
> drained pond can freeze and, over time, thrust the soil upward
> into large mounds reaching up to 70 m in height and 600 m
> in diameter. Name these mounds, common in the Tuktoyaktuk area.
>
> 3. What is the scientific term (derived from Latin), for the world
> "beneath the snow", where many animals such as moles and voles
> can live in relative comfort?

Subcutaneous

> 4. Tabular, blocky, wedge, dome, pinnacle, dry dock, and growler
> are all terms that describe variations of *what* cold-weather
> phenomenon?

Icebergs

> 5. Within deep snow, the heat of the earth can cause ice crystals
> to turn directly to water vapor, which rises through the
> snowpack, where it refreezes and forms a crust on the snow.
> What is the scientific name for the process of ice turning
> directly to vapor, without passing through a liquid state first?

Sublimation

> 6. Ice crystals high in the atmosphere can refract rays of light
> about 22°, creating a halo around the sun. On occasion, this
> refraction can create the appearance of two smaller suns on
> either side of the actual sun. What is this phenomenon called?
>
> 7. What is the common term for the muscular effect known as
> "horripilation"?

Rigor mortis

> reduced to keep the core warm. But 5% of people sometimes
> experience excessively reduced blood flow to the fingers
> and toes, causing them to turn white and numb. What is this
> condition, named for a 19th-century French physician?
>
> 9. 6 years after little Louise Brown of England became a household
> name, Zoe Leyland of Melbourne Australia entered the history
> books in 1984, for what cold-related "first"?

First baby conceived from an egg saved cryogenically

> 10. Name the American who pioneered the process of flash-freezing
> food by exposing it to supercooled substances, such as liquid
> nitrogen.

Birdseye

Pete Gayde

Calvin

Jan 9, 2017, 5:52:30 PM1/9/17
On Monday, January 9, 2017 at 5:12:48 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Geography - River Borders
>
> We'll give you the name of a river that acts as a border between
> two countries, or between three countries (i.e. two one one side
> and one on the other). You simply name *one* of those countries.
>
> The river might be the entire border, or only part of the border
> (like the Detroit River). Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. Paraná.

Spain

> 2. Brahmaputra.

India

> 3. Tigris.

Turkey, Iran

> 4. Orinoco.

Venezuela, Brazil

> 5. Minho.

Russia, China

> 6. Amur.

Russia, China

> 7. Hall's Stream.
> 8. Ubangi.

Kenya, DR Congo

> 9. Morava.

Ukraine, Russia

> 10. Odra (or Oder).

Ukraine, Russia

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Science - The Science of Cold
>
> 1. There is a key temperature at which water becomes its densest.
> Throughout the north, when the upper water of a lake reaches
> this temperature in the spring or fall, it sinks to the bottom,
> mixing nutrients within the water column for the benefit of
> all living things. To the nearest whole degree, what is this
> temperature where water is densest?

4 Celsius, 3 Celcius
The north of what???

> 2. In the arctic and subarctic, groundwater under a recently
> drained pond can freeze and, over time, thrust the soil upward
> into large mounds reaching up to 70 m in height and 600 m
> in diameter. Name these mounds, common in the Tuktoyaktuk area.
>
> 3. What is the scientific term (derived from Latin), for the world
> "beneath the snow", where many animals such as moles and voles
> can live in relative comfort?

Subneigal?

> 4. Tabular, blocky, wedge, dome, pinnacle, dry dock, and growler
> are all terms that describe variations of *what* cold-weather
> phenomenon?

Snow, icebergs

> 5. Within deep snow, the heat of the earth can cause ice crystals
> to turn directly to water vapor, which rises through the
> snowpack, where it refreezes and forms a crust on the snow.
> What is the scientific name for the process of ice turning
> directly to vapor, without passing through a liquid state first?

Sublimation

> 6. Ice crystals high in the atmosphere can refract rays of light
> about 22°, creating a halo around the sun. On occasion, this
> refraction can create the appearance of two smaller suns on
> either side of the actual sun. What is this phenomenon called?
>

> 7. What is the common term for the muscular effect known as
> "horripilation"?

Goose bumps

> reduced to keep the core warm. But 5% of people sometimes
> experience excessively reduced blood flow to the fingers
> and toes, causing them to turn white and numb. What is this
> condition, named for a 19th-century French physician?
>
> 9. 6 years after little Louise Brown of England became a household
> name, Zoe Leyland of Melbourne Australia entered the history
> books in 1984, for what cold-related "first"?

Conceived from a frozen embryo

> 10. Name the American who pioneered the process of flash-freezing
> food by exposing it to supercooled substances, such as liquid
> nitrogen.

Birdseye

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jan 9, 2017, 6:55:12 PM1/9/17
"Calvin":
> The north of what???

You mean there are places besides Canada that have one? :-)
--
Mark Brader | "He's suffering from Politician's Logic."
Toronto | "Something must be done, this is something, therefore

swp

Jan 9, 2017, 7:01:26 PM1/9/17
On Monday, January 9, 2017 at 2:12:48 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> * Game 4, Round 7 - Geography - River Borders
>
> 1. Paraná.

argentina

> 2. Brahmaputra.

india

> 3. Tigris.

iraq

> 4. Orinoco.

colombia

> 5. Minho.

portugal

> 6. Amur.

russia

> 7. Hall's Stream.

united states

> 8. Ubangi.

republic of congo

> 9. Morava.

czech republic

> 10. Odra (or Oder).

poland

> After completing the round, decode the rot13: If you named the
> Congo for any answer, go back and say which one.
>

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Science - The Science of Cold
>
> 1. There is a key temperature at which water becomes its densest.
> Throughout the north, when the upper water of a lake reaches
> this temperature in the spring or fall, it sinks to the bottom,
> mixing nutrients within the water column for the benefit of
> all living things. To the nearest whole degree, what is this
> temperature where water is densest?

39F ; 4C

> 2. In the arctic and subarctic, groundwater under a recently
> drained pond can freeze and, over time, thrust the soil upward
> into large mounds reaching up to 70 m in height and 600 m
> in diameter. Name these mounds, common in the Tuktoyaktuk area.

pingos

> 3. What is the scientific term (derived from Latin), for the world
> "beneath the snow", where many animals such as moles and voles
> can live in relative comfort?

subnivean (I admit that when I first heard this term aloud I thought it meant things below larry niven. now try to get that image out of your head.)

> 4. Tabular, blocky, wedge, dome, pinnacle, dry dock, and growler
> are all terms that describe variations of *what* cold-weather
> phenomenon?

ice bergs

> 5. Within deep snow, the heat of the earth can cause ice crystals
> to turn directly to water vapor, which rises through the
> snowpack, where it refreezes and forms a crust on the snow.
> What is the scientific name for the process of ice turning
> directly to vapor, without passing through a liquid state first?

sublimation

> 6. Ice crystals high in the atmosphere can refract rays of light
> about 22°, creating a halo around the sun. On occasion, this
> refraction can create the appearance of two smaller suns on
> either side of the actual sun. What is this phenomenon called?

sundogs?

> 7. What is the common term for the muscular effect known as
> "horripilation"?

goose bumps

> reduced to keep the core warm. But 5% of people sometimes
> experience excessively reduced blood flow to the fingers
> and toes, causing them to turn white and numb. What is this
> condition, named for a 19th-century French physician?

raynaud's disease

> 9. 6 years after little Louise Brown of England became a household
> name, Zoe Leyland of Melbourne Australia entered the history
> books in 1984, for what cold-related "first"?

icy baby (born from frozen embryo)

> 10. Name the American who pioneered the process of flash-freezing
> food by exposing it to supercooled substances, such as liquid
> nitrogen.

clarence birdseye

swp

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 9, 2017, 10:00:50 PM1/9/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. Paraná.

Paraguay, Brazil and Argentina (where I am right now, but far away from
Paraná.)

> 2. Brahmaputra.

India

> 3. Tigris.

Iraq

> 4. Orinoco.

Venezuela

> 5. Minho.

Portugal and Spain

> 6. Amur.

Uzbekistan

> 7. Hall's Stream.

Canada

> 8. Ubangi.

China

> 9. Morava.

Czech Republic

> 10. Odra (or Oder).

Germany and Poland

> After completing the round, decode the rot13: Vs lbh anzrq gur
> Pbatb sbe nal nafjre, tb onpx naq fnl juvpu bar.

Well, I didn't, but I guess it's Ubangi then, since that was the only
one I did not know. Well, nor did I know Hall's Stream, but that does
not sound like any of the Congoes.

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Science - The Science of Cold
>
> 1. There is a key temperature at which water becomes its densest.
> Throughout the north, when the upper water of a lake reaches
> this temperature in the spring or fall, it sinks to the bottom,
> mixing nutrients within the water column for the benefit of
> all living things. To the nearest whole degree, what is this
> temperature where water is densest?

4°C

> 5. Within deep snow, the heat of the earth can cause ice crystals
> to turn directly to water vapor, which rises through the
> snowpack, where it refreezes and forms a crust on the snow.
> What is the scientific name for the process of ice turning
> directly to vapor, without passing through a liquid state first?

Sublimation

Mark Brader

Jan 9, 2017, 11:01:05 PM1/9/17
Erland Sommarskog:
> Paraguay, Brazil and Argentina (where I am right now, but far away from
> Paraná.)

As usual, I will score this as two guesses, Paraguay and Brazil.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "It is difficult to make predictions,
m...@vex.net | especially about the future." --Danish saying

Joshua Kreitzer

Jan 10, 2017, 1:51:32 AM1/10/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:wvednQeENa12qu7FnZ2dnUU7-
b_N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Geography - River Borders
>
> We'll give you the name of a river that acts as a border between
> two countries, or between three countries (i.e. two one one side
> and one on the other). You simply name *one* of those countries.
>
> The river might be the entire border, or only part of the border
> (like the Detroit River). Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. Paraná.

Brazil

> 2. Brahmaputra.

India

> 3. Tigris.

Kuwait

> 4. Orinoco.

Brazil

> 10. Odra (or Oder).

Germany; Czech Republic

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Science - The Science of Cold
>
> 3. What is the scientific term (derived from Latin), for the world
> "beneath the snow", where many animals such as moles and voles
> can live in relative comfort?

subniveal

> 5. Within deep snow, the heat of the earth can cause ice crystals
> to turn directly to water vapor, which rises through the
> snowpack, where it refreezes and forms a crust on the snow.
> What is the scientific name for the process of ice turning
> directly to vapor, without passing through a liquid state first?

sublimation

> 7. What is the common term for the muscular effect known as
> "horripilation"?

goosebumps

> 9. 6 years after little Louise Brown of England became a household
> name, Zoe Leyland of Melbourne Australia entered the history
> books in 1984, for what cold-related "first"?

first child born after having been a frozen embryo

> 10. Name the American who pioneered the process of flash-freezing
> food by exposing it to supercooled substances, such as liquid
> nitrogen.

Clarence Birdseye

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Mark Brader

Jan 12, 2017, 12:27:34 AM1/12/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-17,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Geography - River Borders

> We'll give you the name of a river that acts as a border between
> two countries, or between three countries (i.e. two one one side
> and one on the other). You simply name *one* of those countries.

> The river might be the entire border, or only part of the border
> (like the Detroit River). Answers may repeat.

> 1. Paraná.

Argentina, Paraguay, Brazil. 4 for Marc, Dan Tilque, Peter, Dan Blum,
Don, Pete, Calvin, Erland (the hard way), and Joshua.

> 2. Brahmaputra.

India, Bangladesh, China. 4 for everyone -- Marc, Dan Tilque, Peter,
Dan Blum, Don, Pete, Calvin, Stephen, Erland, and Joshua.

> 3. Tigris.

Iraq, Turkey. 4 for Marc, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Don, Pete, Stephen,
and Erland. 3 for Calvin.

> 4. Orinoco.

Venezuela, Colombia. 4 for Marc, Dan Tilque, Don, Pete (the hard
way), Stephen, and Erland. 3 for Dan Blum and Calvin.

> 5. Minho.

Portugal, Spain. 4 for Peter, Stephen, and Erland (the hard way).

> 6. Amur.

China, Russia. 4 for Marc, Dan Blum, Calvin (the hard way),
and Stephen. 2 for Pete.

> 7. Hall's Stream.

Canada, US. 4 for Peter, Stephen, and Erland.

I didn't know this one either. It forms part of the northwestern
border of New Hampshire where it protrudes into Quebec. By the way,
the Treaty of Paris (1783) simply referred to the stream in terms of
"the north-westernmost head of Connecticut-River".

> 8. Ubangi.

Central African Republic, DR Congo. 4 for Dan Blum. 2 for Pete
and Calvin.

> 9. Morava.

Czechia, Slovakia. 4 for Marc, Don, Stephen, and Erland. 3 for Pete.

> 10. Odra (or Oder).

Germany, Poland. 4 for Marc, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Don, Pete,
Stephen, and Erland (the hard way). 3 for Joshua.

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Science - The Science of Cold

This was the hardest round in the original game and was in a 3-way
tie for 5th-hardest of the entire season.

> 1. There is a key temperature at which water becomes its densest.
> Throughout the north, when the upper water of a lake reaches
> this temperature in the spring or fall, it sinks to the bottom,
> mixing nutrients within the water column for the benefit of
> all living things. To the nearest whole degree, what is this
> temperature where water is densest?

4°C (or 39°F, for those who want to make the question harder).
4 for Marc, Dan Tilque, Peter, Dan Blum, Don, Stephen (the hard
way), and Erland. 3 for Calvin.

> 2. In the arctic and subarctic, groundwater under a recently
> drained pond can freeze and, over time, thrust the soil upward
> into large mounds reaching up to 70 m in height and 600 m
> in diameter. Name these mounds, common in the Tuktoyaktuk area.

Pingos. 4 for Dan Tilque and Stephen.

> 3. What is the scientific term (derived from Latin), for the world
> "beneath the snow", where many animals such as moles and voles
> can live in relative comfort?

Subnivean (or variants thereof). 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

> 4. Tabular, blocky, wedge, dome, pinnacle, dry dock, and growler
> are all terms that describe variations of *what* cold-weather
> phenomenon?

Icebergs. "Ice" was insufficiently specific. 4 for Dan Tilque,
Pete, and Stephen. 2 for Calvin.

> 5. Within deep snow, the heat of the earth can cause ice crystals
> to turn directly to water vapor, which rises through the
> snowpack, where it refreezes and forms a crust on the snow.
> What is the scientific name for the process of ice turning
> directly to vapor, without passing through a liquid state first?

Sublimation. 4 for Marc, Dan Tilque, Peter, Don, Pete, Calvin,
Stephen, Erland, and Joshua. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 6. Ice crystals high in the atmosphere can refract rays of light
> about 22°, creating a halo around the sun. On occasion, this
> refraction can create the appearance of two smaller suns on
> either side of the actual sun. What is this phenomenon called?

Sun dogs, mock suns, phantom suns, or parhelia. 4 for Marc,
Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Don, and Stephen.

> 7. What is the common term for the muscular effect known as
> "horripilation"?

Goose bumps. 4 for Marc, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Calvin, Stephen,
and Joshua.

> reduced to keep the core warm. But 5% of people sometimes
> experience excessively reduced blood flow to the fingers
> and toes, causing them to turn white and numb. What is this
> condition, named for a 19th-century French physician?

Raynaud's disease. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 9. 6 years after little Louise Brown of England became a household
> name, Zoe Leyland of Melbourne Australia entered the history
> books in 1984, for what cold-related "first"?

First baby born from a frozen embryo. 4 for Marc, Peter, Don, Pete,
Calvin, Stephen, and Joshua.

> 10. Name the American who pioneered the process of flash-freezing
> food by exposing it to supercooled substances, such as liquid
> nitrogen.

Clarence Birdseye. 4 for Marc, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Don, Pete,
Calvin, Stephen, and Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Spo Lit Ent His Geo Sci FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 8 40 40 26 11 20 126
Pete Gayde 32 23 31 8 27 16 113
Don Piven 16 40 -- -- 24 20 100
"Calvin" -- -- 20 38 20 21 99
Marc Dashevsky 12 32 -- -- 28 24 96
Dan Blum 4 20 20 22 27 23 92
Peter Smyth 12 24 16 35 16 16 91
Dan Tilque 4 23 8 12 20 28 83
Stephen Perry -- -- -- -- 32 40 72
Erland Sommarskog 8 4 -- -- 32 8 52
Gareth Owen 26 24 -- -- -- -- 50

--
Mark Brader "It is hard to be brave", said Piglet, sniffing
Toronto slightly, "when you're only a Very Small Animal."

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 12, 2017, 9:39:57 AM1/12/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> 7. Hall's Stream.
>
> Canada, US. 4 for Peter, Stephen, and Erland.
>
> I didn't know this one either. It forms part of the northwestern
> border of New Hampshire where it protrudes into Quebec. By the way,
> the Treaty of Paris (1783) simply referred to the stream in terms of
> "the north-westernmost head of Connecticut-River".

As they say back home "how hard can it be?"

I had of course not heard of it, but given the context of a Toronto pub, I
saw no reason why it would not be part of the Canadian border. Also, given
the name it seemed likely that it would include a country with English as the
main languages, why the only alternatve would be UK/Ireland. Assuming that
is, thta placs like Belize and Guyana are just too obscure to qualify for the
quiz.

swp

Jan 12, 2017, 12:26:42 PM1/12/17
On Thursday, January 12, 2017 at 12:27:34 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> > * Game 4, Round 7 - Geography - River Borders
>
> > 1. Paraná.
>
> Argentina, Paraguay, Brazil. 4 for Marc, Dan Tilque, Peter, Dan Blum,
> Don, Pete, Calvin, Erland (the hard way), and Joshua.

protest

> > 8. Ubangi.
>
> Central African Republic, DR Congo. 4 for Dan Blum. 2 for Pete
> and Calvin.

protest

swp

Mark Brader

Jan 12, 2017, 2:53:26 PM1/12/17
Mark Brader:
>>> 7. Hall's Stream.

>> Canada, US. 4 for Peter, Stephen, and Erland.
>>
>> I didn't know this one either. It forms part of the northwestern
>> border of New Hampshire where it protrudes into Quebec. By the way,
>> the Treaty of Paris (1783) simply referred to the stream in terms of
>> "the north-westernmost head of Connecticut-River".

Erland Sommarskog:
> As they say back home "how hard can it be?"
>
> I had of course not heard of it, but given the context of a Toronto pub,
> I saw no reason why it would not be part of the Canadian border.

Well, I wish I'd figured that out when we *were* in a Toronto pub.

> Also, given the name it seemed likely that it would include a country
> with English as the main languages, why the only alternatve would
> be UK/Ireland. Assuming that is, thta placs like Belize and Guyana
> are just too obscure to qualify for the quiz.

It was a big empire. It could have been India or South Africa, for
example. For that matter, it could have been the other US border
(only I knew it wasn't, because only the Rio Grande part is river border).
--
Mark Brader | "Define 'irritating'."
Toronto | "Well, no, you look it up, Mr. Encyclopedia."

Mark Brader

Jan 12, 2017, 3:03:30 PM1/12/17
Mark Brader:
>>> 1. Paraná.
>> Argentina, Paraguay, Brazil. 4 for Marc, Dan Tilque, Peter, Dan Blum,
>> Don, Pete, Calvin, Erland (the hard way), and Joshua.

Stephen Perry:
> protest

Hmm. I think what happened there is that everyone else but Stephen
said Brazil, except for one entrant who was on the wrong continent,
and I momentarily forgot that there were multiple correct answers.
"Sorry about that, Chief." 4 for Stephen also.

>>> 8. Ubangi.
>> Central African Republic, DR Congo. 4 for Dan Blum. 2 for Pete
>> and Calvin.
>
> protest

Sigh. The Mods missed that the Ubangi also forms part of the
Congo-Congo border. Another 4 for Stephen, who therefore returns
from his disappearance with a double perfect round.

Scores, if there are now no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Spo Lit Ent His Geo Sci FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 8 40 40 26 11 20 126
Pete Gayde 32 23 31 8 27 16 113
Don Piven 16 40 -- -- 24 20 100
"Calvin" -- -- 20 38 20 21 99
Marc Dashevsky 12 32 -- -- 28 24 96
Dan Blum 4 20 20 22 27 23 92
Peter Smyth 12 24 16 35 16 16 91
Dan Tilque 4 23 8 12 20 28 83
Stephen Perry -- -- -- -- 40 40 80
Erland Sommarskog 8 4 -- -- 32 8 52
Gareth Owen 26 24 -- -- -- -- 50

--
Mark Brader "Just because the standard provides a cliff in
Toronto front of you, you are not necessarily required