Rotating Quiz #267

swp

Sep 7, 2017, 9:06:53 PM9/7/17
this is rotating quiz #267. today is september 7th, 2017.

the winner will be the first choice to set rq 268, in a manner of their choosing.

please answer based only on your own knowledge; put all of your answers in a single posting, quoting the question before each one.

answer slates must be posted before 9pm edt (philadelphia/toronto time) on wednesday, 2017-09-13, which gives all of you a lot of time from the time of this posting.

in case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be who scored on the hardest questions; and the second tiebreaker will be who posted first.

correct answers are worth 1 point each.

have fun!

category: cat-5

in each case, name that hurricane.

a. august 28-29 2005, new orleans louisiana
b. august 23-24 1992, dade county florida
c. august 16-18 1969, waveland mississippi

category: magicians

unambiguously name the magician(s) described

d. they host the t.v. show 'fool us'
e. winnipeg born illusionist, hosted 7 'world of magic' specials on tv
f. he dated claudia schiffer from 1994 to 1999

category: bugs

name the insect pictured

g. http://www2.ca.uky.edu/forestryextension/eab/Graphics/adult_on_leaf.gif
h. https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4126/5016184312_95717cd916_b.jpg
i. https://3c1703fe8d.site.internapcdn.net/newman/gfx/news/hires/2016/1-biomechanics.jpg

category: sports

j. what team beat the u.s. men's national team 2-0 on september 1st 2017
k. on may 28th 2017 takuma sato won the indianapolis 500. what is the name of the trophy he was awarded for that win?
l. in what country is the 2019 rugby world cup going to be held?

good luck!

swp

Mark Brader

Sep 7, 2017, 9:24:38 PM9/7/17
Stephen Perry:
> the winner will be the first choice to set rq 268, in a manner of their
> choosing.

Well, no danger of that!

> category: cat-5
>
> in each case, name that hurricane.
>
> a. august 28-29 2005, new orleans louisiana

Katrina.

> b. august 23-24 1992, dade county florida

Andrew?

> c. august 16-18 1969, waveland mississippi

Camille?

> d. they host the t.v. show 'fool us'

Penn & Teller?

> g. http://www2.ca.uky.edu/forestryextension/eab/Graphics/adult_on_leaf.gif

Oooh, shiny! I'll guess locust.

> h. https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4126/5016184312_95717cd916_b.jpg

Katydid?

> i. https://3c1703fe8d.site.internapcdn.net/newman/gfx/news/hires/2016/1-biomechanics.jpg

Grasshopper.

> l. in what country is the 2019 rugby world cup going to be held?

Somewhere other than Yemen.
--
Mark Brader | No programming language is Perfect. Perl comes very close.
m...@vex.net | P! e! r! *l?* :-( Not quite "Perfect".

Calvin

Sep 7, 2017, 10:52:03 PM9/7/17
On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 11:06:53 AM UTC+10, swp wrote:
> this is rotating quiz #267. today is september 7th, 2017.

> category: cat-5
>
> in each case, name that hurricane.
>
> a. august 28-29 2005, new orleans louisiana

Katrina

> b. august 23-24 1992, dade county florida
> c. august 16-18 1969, waveland mississippi
>

> category: magicians
>
> unambiguously name the magician(s) described
>
> d. they host the t.v. show 'fool us'
> e. winnipeg born illusionist, hosted 7 'world of magic' specials on tv
> f. he dated claudia schiffer from 1994 to 1999

David Copperfield

> category: bugs
>
> name the insect pictured
>
> g. http://www2.ca.uky.edu/forestryextension/eab/Graphics/adult_on_leaf.gif

Cicada

> h. https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4126/5016184312_95717cd916_b.jpg

Looks a bit like one of my school teachers...

> i. https://3c1703fe8d.site.internapcdn.net/newman/gfx/news/hires/2016/1-biomechanics.jpg

Grasshopper

> category: sports
>
> j. what team beat the u.s. men's national team 2-0 on september 1st 2017

Costa Rica

> k. on may 28th 2017 takuma sato won the indianapolis 500. what is the name of the trophy he was awarded for that win?

> l. in what country is the 2019 rugby world cup going to be held?

Japan

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 8, 2017, 3:31:27 PM9/8/17
swp (stephen...@gmail.com) writes:
> a. august 28-29 2005, new orleans louisiana

Katrina

> b. august 23-24 1992, dade county florida

Andrew

> c. august 16-18 1969, waveland mississippi

Nisse Hult

> e. winnipeg born illusionist, hosted 7 'world of magic' specials on tv

Wayne Gretzky

> g. http://www2.ca.uky.edu/forestryextension/eab/Graphics/adult_on_leaf.gif

Grasshopper

> i.
> https://3c1703fe8d.site.internapcdn.net/newman/gfx/news/hires/2016/1-biom
> echanics.jpg

That could be what is called "syrsa" in Swedish, and which I have no
idea about in English. Then again, it could be an insect that does
not even have a Swedish name, since it does not appear here...

> j. what team beat the u.s. men's national team 2-0 on september 1st 2017

Mexico

The US team does not seem to in the shape they used to be. Losing one
of the direct qualification slots to Panamá? May have to play a final
round against Australia or Syria. (Don't worry. Syria do not play their
home-ground games in Syria. The most recent one was in Malysia, I gather.)

> l. in what country is the 2019 rugby world cup going to be held?

New Zealand

Dan Blum

Sep 8, 2017, 5:43:12 PM9/8/17
swp <stephen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> in each case, name that hurricane.

> a. august 28-29 2005, new orleans louisiana

Katrina

> b. august 23-24 1992, dade county florida

Andrew

> category: magicians

> unambiguously name the magician(s) described

> d. they host the t.v. show 'fool us'

Penn and Teller

> e. winnipeg born illusionist, hosted 7 'world of magic' specials on tv

Doug Henning

> f. he dated claudia schiffer from 1994 to 1999

David Copperfield

> category: bugs

> name the insect pictured

> g. http://www2.ca.uky.edu/forestryextension/eab/Graphics/adult_on_leaf.gif

Japanese beetle

> h. https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4126/5016184312_95717cd916_b.jpg

bombardier beetle

> i. https://3c1703fe8d.site.internapcdn.net/newman/gfx/news/hires/2016/1-biomechanics.jpg

leopard grasshopper

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Tilque

Sep 9, 2017, 4:59:18 AM9/9/17
swp wrote:
> this is rotating quiz #267. today is september 7th, 2017.
>
> the winner will be the first choice to set rq 268, in a manner of their choosing.
>
> please answer based only on your own knowledge; put all of your answers in a single posting, quoting the question before each one.
>
> answer slates must be posted before 9pm edt (philadelphia/toronto time) on wednesday, 2017-09-13, which gives all of you a lot of time from the time of this posting.
>
> in case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be who scored on the hardest questions; and the second tiebreaker will be who posted first.
>
> correct answers are worth 1 point each.
>
> have fun!
>
> category: cat-5
>
> in each case, name that hurricane.
>
> a. august 28-29 2005, new orleans louisiana

Katrina

> b. august 23-24 1992, dade county florida

Andrew

> c. august 16-18 1969, waveland mississippi

Camille

> category: magicians
>
> unambiguously name the magician(s) described
>
> d. they host the t.v. show 'fool us'

Penn & Teller

> e. winnipeg born illusionist, hosted 7 'world of magic' specials on tv
> f. he dated claudia schiffer from 1994 to 1999
>
> category: bugs
>
> name the insect pictured
>
> g. http://www2.ca.uky.edu/forestryextension/eab/Graphics/adult_on_leaf.gif

cicada
grasshopper

> category: sports
>
> j. what team beat the u.s. men's national team 2-0 on september 1st 2017

Costa Rica

> k. on may 28th 2017 takuma sato won the indianapolis 500. what is the name of the trophy he was awarded for that win?
> l. in what country is the 2019 rugby world cup going to be held?

USA

--
Dan Tilque

Peter Smyth

Sep 9, 2017, 5:23:05 AM9/9/17
swp wrote:

> this is rotating quiz #267. today is september 7th, 2017.
>
> the winner will be the first choice to set rq 268, in a manner of their
> choosing.
>
> please answer based only on your own knowledge; put all of your answers
> in a single posting, quoting the question before each one.
>
> answer slates must be posted before 9pm edt (philadelphia/toronto time)
> on wednesday, 2017-09-13, which gives all of you a lot of time from the
> time of this posting.
>
> in case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be who scored on the hardest
> questions; and the second tiebreaker will be who posted first.
>
> correct answers are worth 1 point each.
>
> have fun!
>
> category: cat-5
>
> in each case, name that hurricane.
>
> a. august 28-29 2005, new orleans louisiana
Katrina
> b. august 23-24 1992, dade county florida
Andrew
> c. august 16-18 1969, waveland mississippi
>

> category: magicians
>
> unambiguously name the magician(s) described
>
> d. they host the t.v. show 'fool us'
Penn & Teller
> e. winnipeg born illusionist, hosted 7 'world of magic' specials on tv
> f. he dated claudia schiffer from 1994 to 1999
David Copperfield

> category: bugs
>
> name the insect pictured
>
> g.
http://www2.ca.uky.edu/forestryextension/eab/Graphics/adult_on_leaf.gif
> h. https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4126/5016184312_95717cd916_b.jpg
> i.
https://3c1703fe8d.site.internapcdn.net/newman/gfx/news/hires/2016/1-biomechanics.jpg

> category: sports
>
> j. what team beat the u.s. men's national team 2-0 on september 1st 2017
Mexico
> k. on may 28th 2017 takuma sato won the indianapolis 500. what is the
> name of the trophy he was awarded for that win?
> l. in what country is
> the 2019 rugby world cup going to be held?
Japan

Peter Smyth

Marc Dashevsky

Sep 11, 2017, 10:17:22 AM9/11/17
In article <d547bf58-6475-4566...@googlegroups.com>, stephen...@gmail.com says...

> this is rotating quiz #267. today is september 7th, 2017.
>
> the winner will be the first choice to set rq 268, in a manner of their choosing.
>
> please answer based only on your own knowledge; put all of your answers in a single posting, quoting the question before each one.
>
> answer slates must be posted before 9pm edt (philadelphia/toronto time) on wednesday, 2017-09-13, which gives all of you a lot of time from the time of this posting.
>
> in case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be who scored on the hardest questions; and the second tiebreaker will be who posted first.
>
> correct answers are worth 1 point each.
>
> have fun!
>
> category: cat-5
>
> in each case, name that hurricane.
>
> a. august 28-29 2005, new orleans louisiana
Katrina

> b. august 23-24 1992, dade county florida
Andrew

> c. august 16-18 1969, waveland mississippi
>

> category: magicians
>
> unambiguously name the magician(s) described
>
> d. they host the t.v. show 'fool us'
Penn and Teller

> e. winnipeg born illusionist, hosted 7 'world of magic' specials on tv
> f. he dated claudia schiffer from 1994 to 1999
>
> category: bugs
>
> name the insect pictured
>
> g. http://www2.ca.uky.edu/forestryextension/eab/Graphics/adult_on_leaf.gif
firefly

> h. https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4126/5016184312_95717cd916_b.jpg
stink bug

> i. https://3c1703fe8d.site.internapcdn.net/newman/gfx/news/hires/2016/1-biomechanics.jpg
locust

> category: sports
>
> j. what team beat the u.s. men's national team 2-0 on september 1st 2017
> k. on may 28th 2017 takuma sato won the indianapolis 500. what is the name of the trophy he was awarded for that win?
> l. in what country is the 2019 rugby world cup going to be held?
>

> good luck!
>
> swp

swp

Sep 14, 2017, 9:23:35 PM9/14/17
On Thursday, September 7, 2017 at 9:06:53 PM UTC-4, swp wrote:
> this is rotating quiz #267. today is september 7th, 2017.

> answer slates must be posted before 9pm edt (philadelphia/toronto time) on wednesday, 2017-09-13, which gives all of you a lot of time from the time of this posting.

for certain values of '13' apparently.

> in case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be who scored on the hardest questions; and the second tiebreaker will be who posted first.
>
> correct answers are worth 1 point each.
>
> have fun!

category: cat-5

in each case, name that hurricane.

a. august 28-29 2005, new orleans louisiana

katrina

b. august 23-24 1992, dade county florida

andrew

c. august 16-18 1969, waveland mississippi

camille

category: magicians

unambiguously name the magician(s) described

d. they host the t.v. show 'fool us'

penn & teller

e. winnipeg born illusionist, hosted 7 'world of magic' specials on tv

doug henning

f. he dated claudia schiffer from 1994 to 1999

david copperfield (see http://www.imgbase.info/images/safe-wallpapers/celebrity/claudia_schiffer/1901-celebrity_claudia_schiffer_wallpaper.jpg)
emerald ash borer (currently killing the trees in my yard)
category: sports

j. what team beat the u.s. men's national team 2-0 on september 1st 2017

costa rica

k. on may 28th 2017 takuma sato won the indianapolis 500. what is the name of the trophy he was awarded for that win?

Borg-Warner Trophy

l. in what country is the 2019 rugby world cup going to be held?

japan

name a b c d e f g h i j k l total
----------- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -----
Dan B 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 5
Marc D 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 5
Dan T 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 5
Peter S 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 5
Mark B 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 - 4
Calvin 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 4
Erland 1 1 * 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2
----------- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -----
totals 7 6 2 5 1 3 0 1 1 2 0 2 30

The winner, after several tie breakers, some political in-fighting, an official order from Queen Elizabeth II, signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public inquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as a firelighter ... is ...

Dan Blum!

Congratulations Dan, RQ #268 is yours to do with as you please.

thank you each for playing.

swp

Dan Blum

Sep 14, 2017, 10:07:28 PM9/14/17
swp <stephen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> name a b c d e f g h i j k l total
> ----------- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -----
> Dan B 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 5
> Marc D 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 5
> Dan T 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 5
> Peter S 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 5
> Mark B 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 - 4
> Calvin 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 4
> Erland 1 1 * 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2
> ----------- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -----
> totals 7 6 2 5 1 3 0 1 1 2 0 2 30

> The winner, after several tie breakers, some political in-fighting, an official order from Queen Elizabeth II, signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public inquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as a firelighter ... is ...

> Dan Blum!

> Congratulations Dan, RQ #268 is yours to do with as you please.

Thanks, but I am not understanding how the hardest-question
tie-breaking works. Marc and I both answered a, b, and d correctly and
his other two correct answers were solos. Only one of mine was, so if
I were scoring this I would certainly place Marc above me. (Dan Tilque
would arguably also place above me, but below Marc.)

Marc Dashevsky

Sep 15, 2017, 10:16:18 AM9/15/17
In article <opfckv$rb6$1...@reader2.panix.com>, to...@panix.com says...

> swp <stephen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > name a b c d e f g h i j k l total
> > ----------- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -----
> > Dan B 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 5
> > Marc D 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 5
> > Dan T 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 5
> > Peter S 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 5
> > Mark B 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 - 4
> > Calvin 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 4
> > Erland 1 1 * 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2
> > ----------- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -----
> > totals 7 6 2 5 1 3 0 1 1 2 0 2 30
>
> > The winner, after several tie breakers, some political in-fighting, an official order from Queen Elizabeth II, signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public inquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as a firelighter ... is ...
>
> > Dan Blum!
>
> > Congratulations Dan, RQ #268 is yours to do with as you please.
>
> Thanks, but I am not understanding how the hardest-question
> tie-breaking works. Marc and I both answered a, b, and d correctly and
> his other two correct answers were solos. Only one of mine was, so if
> I were scoring this I would certainly place Marc above me. (Dan Tilque
> would arguably also place above me, but below Marc.)

Yeah but I premptively concede because I make lousy quizzes.

---
http://www.avg.com

Dan Tilque

Sep 16, 2017, 4:03:17 AM9/16/17
Dan Blum wrote:
> swp <stephen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> name a b c d e f g h i j k l total
>> ----------- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -----
>> Dan B 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 5
>> Marc D 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 5
>> Dan T 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 5
>> Peter S 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 5
>> Mark B 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 - 4
>> Calvin 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 4
>> Erland 1 1 * 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2
>> ----------- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -----
>> totals 7 6 2 5 1 3 0 1 1 2 0 2 30
>
>> The winner, after several tie breakers, some political in-fighting, an official order from Queen Elizabeth II, signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public inquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as a firelighter ... is ...
>
>> Dan Blum!
>
>> Congratulations Dan, RQ #268 is yours to do with as you please.
>
> Thanks, but I am not understanding how the hardest-question
> tie-breaking works. Marc and I both answered a, b, and d correctly and
> his other two correct answers were solos. Only one of mine was, so if
> I were scoring this I would certainly place Marc above me. (Dan Tilque
> would arguably also place above me, but below Marc.)

For the hardest-question tiebrakers, it looks like Dan and I tied there
too. Which means it goes to the next tiebreaker: who posted first.
According to my newsreader, Dan's post was before mine.

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Blum

Sep 16, 2017, 10:22:36 AM9/16/17
Dan Tilque <dti...@frontier.com> wrote:
> Dan Blum wrote:
> > swp <stephen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> name a b c d e f g h i j k l total
> >> ----------- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -----
> >> Dan B 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 5
> >> Marc D 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 5
> >> Dan T 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 5
> >> Peter S 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 5
> >> Mark B 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 - 4
> >> Calvin 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 4
> >> Erland 1 1 * 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2
> >> ----------- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -----
> >> totals 7 6 2 5 1 3 0 1 1 2 0 2 30
> >

> For the hardest-question tiebrakers, it looks like Dan and I tied there
> too. Which means it goes to the next tiebreaker: who posted first.
> According to my newsreader, Dan's post was before mine.

That depends on exactly how he's calculating things. If it's by
summing the other correct answers to the questions then it's a tie
(assuming Erland's answer to c is ignored). If it's by comparing
single hardest question first, then second, etc., you would beat me.

swp

Sep 16, 2017, 1:34:51 PM9/16/17
On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 10:07:28 PM UTC-4, Dan Blum wrote:
> swp <stephen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > name a b c d e f g h i j k l total
> > ----------- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -----
> > Dan B 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 5
> > Marc D 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 5
> > Dan T 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 5
> > Peter S 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 5
> > Mark B 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 - 4
> > Calvin 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 4
> > Erland 1 1 * 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2
> > ----------- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -----
> > totals 7 6 2 5 1 3 0 1 1 2 0 2 30
>
> > The winner, after several tie breakers, some political in-fighting, an official order from Queen Elizabeth II, signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public inquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as a firelighter ... is ...
>
> > Dan Blum!
>
> > Congratulations Dan, RQ #268 is yours to do with as you please.

I have read the other posts. I believe Dan, Dan, and Marc bring up valid points. And given that one entrant has abdicated, I believe my initial ruling should stand.

Dan, at your leisure.

swp

Dan Blum

Sep 17, 2017, 12:03:25 AM9/17/17
My leisure will probably extend to Sunday night.