QFTCIUA Game 8, Rounds 2-3: Russian history, B.J.'s

Mark Brader

Dec 20, 2014, 10:47:40 PM12/20/14
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-11-10,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe, and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2014-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 8, Round 2 - History - Czarist/Communist Russia

You say you want a revolution? This round is about Mother Russia
from Napoleon to Stalin.

1. Under which Czar did Russia repel Napoleon's invasion?

2. This Czar is often called the Abraham Lincoln of Russia.
He was a reformer who freed the serfs in 1866 and was
assassinated. Name him.

3. According to Boney M., Rasputin was Russia's greatest love
machine. That may be, but can you name the czarina he
spiritually advised?

4. Who led the provisional government of Russia between the fall
of the czars and the takeover by the Bolsheviks?

5. Please decode the rot13 for question #5 only after you have
finished with questions #1-4, guhf rfgnoyvfuvat gur gurzr bs
Nyrknaqref naq Nyrknaqenf sbe gur svefg 5 dhrfgvbaf. Gb pbzcyrgr
guvf gurzr, jr abj zbir onpx va gvzr 30 lrnef. Va erfcbafr
gb Nyrknaqre VV'f nffnffvangvba, uvf fba Nyrknaqre VVV onggyrq
ntnvafg greebevfgf. Va 1887 guvf Nyrknaqre jnf nyfb snprq jvgu
na nffnffvangvba cybg, ohg vg jnf gujnegrq naq lrg nabgure
Nyrknaqre -- Nyrknaqre Hylnabi -- jnf nzbat gur zra unatrq
sbe vg. Abj, jung rknpgyl vf gur pbaarpgvba orgjrra gung
ynfg Nyrknaqre naq gur Ehffvna Eribyhgvba 30 lrnef yngre?
Or fcrpvsvp.

6. And now, back to the Bolsheviks. After being smuggled back into
Russia via Finland by the Germans, the exiled Lenin addressed
them with a barn-burner of a speech that served as a call
to revolution. By what name is that speech now known?

7. What significant event happened at Yekaterinburg, Russia,
on 1918-07-17?

8. In the Russian Civil War of 1917-22, the Bolsheviks' "Red Army"
fought anti-Communist forces known by what name?

9. What relevant event happened on 1940-08-21 in the Mexico City
suburb of Coyoacán?

10. Either name the Bolshevik secret police under Lenin, or give
the new name they adopted in 1934 under Stalin. (Give the
short form in either case.)

* Game 8, Round 3 - Miscellaneous - Oh, to be a B.J.!

Earlier this season we had an audio round of Jim talking to people.
Then a Brian round. Now it's time to honor a third member of
Axxxe, namely B.J. -- and this time with a handout!

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/8-3/bj.pdf

Again I've sorted the questions into picture order, and again
there are no decoys in this round. Note also that the letters
are *below* the pictures; the bottom picture on each page is
unlettered and intended for humor value.

1. In picture A, who is this pop crooner, most popular in the
1960s and 1970s?

2. In picture B, who is B.J.'s sidekick in this 1979-81 comedy
series? (Give the name as it appears in the title.)

3. In picture C, who is this Maple Leaf great, sometimes nicknamed
"B.J."?

4. Picture D shows a relief pitcher for the Jays from 2006 to 2009.
He signed a big contract, but his career was cut short by
arm problems. Name him.

5. Picture E. Name this *character* from a long-running 1970s
sitcom.

6. Picture F is for the youngsters -- a 21st-century entertainment
question! Name this writer and actor from a popular 2000s
comedy series.

7. In picture G, Billie Joe Armstong says hello. Name the band
pictured.

8. In picture H, the "J." in "B.J." is not the middle initial.
We ran out of amusing ones. Bon Jovi would've been nice here,
but you get this guy instead. Give his *first and last name*.

9. Picture I. This US general led American Expeditionary Forces
in World War I and later lent his name to a popular and stylish
line of battle tanks. His nickname was "Black Jack", so they
probably called him "B.J." behind his back. Name him.

10. In picture J, meet B.J. Vorster, the prime minister 1966-78 --
of which nation?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
Without the threat of frequent new releases of the system to

Dan Blum

Dec 20, 2014, 11:59:55 PM12/20/14
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 2 - History - Czarist/Communist Russia

> 1. Under which Czar did Russia repel Napoleon's invasion?

Alexander III

> 2. This Czar is often called the Abraham Lincoln of Russia.
> He was a reformer who freed the serfs in 1866 and was
> assassinated. Name him.

Alexander IV; Nicholas I

> 4. Who led the provisional government of Russia between the fall
> of the czars and the takeover by the Bolsheviks?

Kerensky

> 5. Please decode the rot13 for question #5 only after you have
> finished with questions #1-4, guhf rfgnoyvfuvat gur gurzr bs
> Nyrknaqref naq Nyrknaqenf sbe gur svefg 5 dhrfgvbaf. Gb pbzcyrgr
> guvf gurzr, jr abj zbir onpx va gvzr 30 lrnef. Va erfcbafr
> gb Nyrknaqre VV'f nffnffvangvba, uvf fba Nyrknaqre VVV onggyrq
> ntnvafg greebevfgf. Va 1887 guvf Nyrknaqre jnf nyfb snprq jvgu
> na nffnffvangvba cybg, ohg vg jnf gujnegrq naq lrg nabgure
> Nyrknaqre -- Nyrknaqre Hylnabi -- jnf nzbat gur zra unatrq
> sbe vg. Abj, jung rknpgyl vf gur pbaarpgvba orgjrra gung
> ynfg Nyrknaqre naq gur Ehffvna Eribyhgvba 30 lrnef yngre?
> Or fcrpvsvp.

He was Lenin's father; He was Lenin's grandfather

> 7. What significant event happened at Yekaterinburg, Russia,
> on 1918-07-17?

The Czar and his family were executed

> 8. In the Russian Civil War of 1917-22, the Bolsheviks' "Red Army"
> fought anti-Communist forces known by what name?

White Army

> 9. What relevant event happened on 1940-08-21 in the Mexico City
> suburb of Coyoac?n?

Trotsky was assassinated

> 10. Either name the Bolshevik secret police under Lenin, or give
> the new name they adopted in 1934 under Stalin. (Give the
> short form in either case.)

Cheka

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Miscellaneous - Oh, to be a B.J.!

> 2. In picture B, who is B.J.'s sidekick in this 1979-81 comedy
> series? (Give the name as it appears in the title.)

The Bear

> 5. Picture E. Name this *character* from a long-running 1970s
> sitcom.

B. J. Hunnicut

> 7. In picture G, Billie Joe Armstong says hello. Name the band
> pictured.

Green Day

> 8. In picture H, the "J." in "B.J." is not the middle initial.
> We ran out of amusing ones. Bon Jovi would've been nice here,
> but you get this guy instead. Give his *first and last name*.

Billy Joel

> 9. Picture I. This US general led American Expeditionary Forces
> in World War I and later lent his name to a popular and stylish
> line of battle tanks. His nickname was "Black Jack", so they
> probably called him "B.J." behind his back. Name him.

Pershing

I bet they did not call him "B.J." since "Black Jack" was actually
the polite(r) version of his nickname, not the one used behind his
back.

> 10. In picture J, meet B.J. Vorster, the prime minister 1966-78 --
> of which nation?

South Africa

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Pete

Dec 21, 2014, 2:12:13 AM12/21/14
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:PJ-dncFTB5ZB3wvJnZ2dnUU7-d-
dn...@vex.net:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-11-10,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe, and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2014-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 2 - History - Czarist/Communist Russia
>
> You say you want a revolution? This round is about Mother Russia
> from Napoleon to Stalin.
>
> 1. Under which Czar did Russia repel Napoleon's invasion?

Catherine

> 2. This Czar is often called the Abraham Lincoln of Russia.
> He was a reformer who freed the serfs in 1866 and was
> assassinated. Name him.

Peter the Great

> 3. According to Boney M., Rasputin was Russia's greatest love
> machine. That may be, but can you name the czarina he
> spiritually advised?

Alexandra

> 4. Who led the provisional government of Russia between the fall
> of the czars and the takeover by the Bolsheviks?

Trotsky

> 5. Please decode the rot13 for question #5 only after you have
> finished with questions #1-4, guhf rfgnoyvfuvat gur gurzr bs
> Nyrknaqref naq Nyrknaqenf sbe gur svefg 5 dhrfgvbaf. Gb pbzcyrgr
> guvf gurzr, jr abj zbir onpx va gvzr 30 lrnef. Va erfcbafr
> gb Nyrknaqre VV'f nffnffvangvba, uvf fba Nyrknaqre VVV onggyrq
> ntnvafg greebevfgf. Va 1887 guvf Nyrknaqre jnf nyfb snprq jvgu
> na nffnffvangvba cybg, ohg vg jnf gujnegrq naq lrg nabgure
> Nyrknaqre -- Nyrknaqre Hylnabi -- jnf nzbat gur zra unatrq
> sbe vg. Abj, jung rknpgyl vf gur pbaarpgvba orgjrra gung
> ynfg Nyrknaqre naq gur Ehffvna Eribyhgvba 30 lrnef yngre?
> Or fcrpvsvp.

Related to Lenin, whose real last name was Ulyanov

> 6. And now, back to the Bolsheviks. After being smuggled back into
> Russia via Finland by the Germans, the exiled Lenin addressed
> them with a barn-burner of a speech that served as a call
> to revolution. By what name is that speech now known?
>
> 7. What significant event happened at Yekaterinburg, Russia,
> on 1918-07-17?

Czar and family were shot

> 8. In the Russian Civil War of 1917-22, the Bolsheviks' "Red Army"
> fought anti-Communist forces known by what name?

White Army

> 9. What relevant event happened on 1940-08-21 in the Mexico City
> suburb of Coyoacán?

Trotsky killed

> 10. Either name the Bolshevik secret police under Lenin, or give
> the new name they adopted in 1934 under Stalin. (Give the
> short form in either case.)
>

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Miscellaneous - Oh, to be a B.J.!
>
> Earlier this season we had an audio round of Jim talking to people.
> Then a Brian round. Now it's time to honor a third member of
> Axxxe, namely B.J. -- and this time with a handout!
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/8-3/bj.pdf
>
> Again I've sorted the questions into picture order, and again
> there are no decoys in this round. Note also that the letters
> are *below* the pictures; the bottom picture on each page is
> unlettered and intended for humor value.
>
> 1. In picture A, who is this pop crooner, most popular in the
> 1960s and 1970s?

Thomas

> 2. In picture B, who is B.J.'s sidekick in this 1979-81 comedy
> series? (Give the name as it appears in the title.)

Bear

> 3. In picture C, who is this Maple Leaf great, sometimes nicknamed
> "B.J."?

Bjore Salming

> 4. Picture D shows a relief pitcher for the Jays from 2006 to 2009.
> He signed a big contract, but his career was cut short by
> arm problems. Name him.
>
> 5. Picture E. Name this *character* from a long-running 1970s
> sitcom.

Hunnicut

> 6. Picture F is for the youngsters -- a 21st-century entertainment
> question! Name this writer and actor from a popular 2000s
> comedy series.
>
> 7. In picture G, Billie Joe Armstong says hello. Name the band
> pictured.
>
> 8. In picture H, the "J." in "B.J." is not the middle initial.
> We ran out of amusing ones. Bon Jovi would've been nice here,
> but you get this guy instead. Give his *first and last name*.

Billy Joel

> 9. Picture I. This US general led American Expeditionary Forces
> in World War I and later lent his name to a popular and stylish
> line of battle tanks. His nickname was "Black Jack", so they
> probably called him "B.J." behind his back. Name him.

Pershing

> 10. In picture J, meet B.J. Vorster, the prime minister 1966-78 --
> of which nation?

Netherlands; Belgium

Pete

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 21, 2014, 5:38:16 AM12/21/14
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 8, Round 2 - History - Czarist/Communist Russia
>
> You say you want a revolution? This round is about Mother Russia
> from Napoleon to Stalin.
>
> 1. Under which Czar did Russia repel Napoleon's invasion?

Nikolai

> 2. This Czar is often called the Abraham Lincoln of Russia.
> He was a reformer who freed the serfs in 1866 and was
> assassinated. Name him.

Nikolai II

> 3. According to Boney M., Rasputin was Russia's greatest love
> machine. That may be, but can you name the czarina he
> spiritually advised?

Elisabet

> 5. Please decode the rot13 for question #5 only after you have
> finished with questions #1-4, guhf rfgnoyvfuvat gur gurzr bs
> Nyrknaqref naq Nyrknaqenf sbe gur svefg 5 dhrfgvbaf. Gb pbzcyrgr
> guvf gurzr, jr abj zbir onpx va gvzr 30 lrnef. Va erfcbafr
> gb Nyrknaqre VV'f nffnffvangvba, uvf fba Nyrknaqre VVV onggyrq
> ntnvafg greebevfgf. Va 1887 guvf Nyrknaqre jnf nyfb snprq jvgu
> na nffnffvangvba cybg, ohg vg jnf gujnegrq naq lrg nabgure
> Nyrknaqre -- Nyrknaqre Hylnabi -- jnf nzbat gur zra unatrq
> sbe vg. Abj, jung rknpgyl vf gur pbaarpgvba orgjrra gung
> ynfg Nyrknaqre naq gur Ehffvna Eribyhgvba 30 lrnef yngre?
> Or fcrpvsvp.

Ulyanov was Lenin's actual last name. Don't know if they were related
or not.

> 8. In the Russian Civil War of 1917-22, the Bolsheviks' "Red Army"
> fought anti-Communist forces known by what name?

White army

> 9. What relevant event happened on 1940-08-21 in the Mexico City
> suburb of Coyoacán?

The assassination of Trotsky

> 10. Either name the Bolshevik secret police under Lenin, or give
> the new name they adopted in 1934 under Stalin. (Give the
> short form in either case.)

NKVD

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Miscellaneous - Oh, to be a B.J.!
>
> 3. In picture C, who is this Maple Leaf great, sometimes nicknamed
> "B.J."?

Börje Salming

> 8. In picture H, the "J." in "B.J." is not the middle initial.
> We ran out of amusing ones. Bon Jovi would've been nice here,
> but you get this guy instead. Give his *first and last name*.

Narry J Manilow

> 10. In picture J, meet B.J. Vorster, the prime minister 1966-78 --
> of which nation?

South Africa

Calvin

Dec 21, 2014, 5:40:35 PM12/21/14
On Sunday, December 21, 2014 1:47:40 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 2 - History - Czarist/Communist Russia
>
> You say you want a revolution? This round is about Mother Russia
> from Napoleon to Stalin.
>
> 1. Under which Czar did Russia repel Napoleon's invasion?

Nicolai I, Alexander I

> 2. This Czar is often called the Abraham Lincoln of Russia.
> He was a reformer who freed the serfs in 1866 and was
> assassinated. Name him.

Alexander II

> 3. According to Boney M., Rasputin was Russia's greatest love
> machine. That may be, but can you name the czarina he
> spiritually advised?

Catarina

> 4. Who led the provisional government of Russia between the fall
> of the czars and the takeover by the Bolsheviks?
>
> 5. Please decode the rot13 for question #5 only after you have
> finished with questions #1-4, guhf rfgnoyvfuvat gur gurzr bs
> Nyrknaqref naq Nyrknaqenf sbe gur svefg 5 dhrfgvbaf. Gb pbzcyrgr
> guvf gurzr, jr abj zbir onpx va gvzr 30 lrnef. Va erfcbafr
> gb Nyrknaqre VV'f nffnffvangvba, uvf fba Nyrknaqre VVV onggyrq
> ntnvafg greebevfgf. Va 1887 guvf Nyrknaqre jnf nyfb snprq jvgu
> na nffnffvangvba cybg, ohg vg jnf gujnegrq naq lrg nabgure
> Nyrknaqre -- Nyrknaqre Hylnabi -- jnf nzbat gur zra unatrq
> sbe vg. Abj, jung rknpgyl vf gur pbaarpgvba orgjrra gung
> ynfg Nyrknaqre naq gur Ehffvna Eribyhgvba 30 lrnef yngre?
> Or fcrpvsvp.

He was Lenin's father, grandfather (two answers)

> 6. And now, back to the Bolsheviks. After being smuggled back into
> Russia via Finland by the Germans, the exiled Lenin addressed
> them with a barn-burner of a speech that served as a call
> to revolution. By what name is that speech now known?
>
> 7. What significant event happened at Yekaterinburg, Russia,
> on 1918-07-17?

Overthrow of Nicolai II, murder of Nicolai II

> 8. In the Russian Civil War of 1917-22, the Bolsheviks' "Red Army"
> fought anti-Communist forces known by what name?

Whites

> 9. What relevant event happened on 1940-08-21 in the Mexico City
> suburb of Coyoacán?

Murder of Trotsky

> 10. Either name the Bolshevik secret police under Lenin, or give
> the new name they adopted in 1934 under Stalin. (Give the
> short form in either case.)

NKVD

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Miscellaneous - Oh, to be a B.J.!

> 1. In picture A, who is this pop crooner, most popular in the
> 1960s and 1970s?
>
> 2. In picture B, who is B.J.'s sidekick in this 1979-81 comedy
> series? (Give the name as it appears in the title.)

The Bear

> 3. In picture C, who is this Maple Leaf great, sometimes nicknamed
> "B.J."?
>
> 4. Picture D shows a relief pitcher for the Jays from 2006 to 2009.
> He signed a big contract, but his career was cut short by
> arm problems. Name him.
>
> 5. Picture E. Name this *character* from a long-running 1970s
> sitcom.

BJ Hunicutt

> 6. Picture F is for the youngsters -- a 21st-century entertainment
> question! Name this writer and actor from a popular 2000s
> comedy series.

BJ Novak

> 7. In picture G, Billie Joe Armstong says hello. Name the band
> pictured.

> 8. In picture H, the "J." in "B.J." is not the middle initial.
> We ran out of amusing ones. Bon Jovi would've been nice here,
> but you get this guy instead. Give his *first and last name*.

Billy Joel

> 9. Picture I. This US general led American Expeditionary Forces
> in World War I and later lent his name to a popular and stylish
> line of battle tanks. His nickname was "Black Jack", so they
> probably called him "B.J." behind his back. Name him.

Pershing

> 10. In picture J, meet B.J. Vorster, the prime minister 1966-78 --
of which nation?

South Africa

cheers,
calvin

Marc Dashevsky

Dec 22, 2014, 1:07:08 AM12/22/14
In article <PJ-dncFTB5ZB3wvJ...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
execution of czar and family

> 8. In the Russian Civil War of 1917-22, the Bolsheviks' "Red Army"
> fought anti-Communist forces known by what name?
White Army

> 9. What relevant event happened on 1940-08-21 in the Mexico City
> suburb of Coyoacán?
Trotsky assassinated

> 10. Either name the Bolshevik secret police under Lenin, or give
> the new name they adopted in 1934 under Stalin. (Give the
> short form in either case.)
>

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Miscellaneous - Oh, to be a B.J.!
>
> Earlier this season we had an audio round of Jim talking to people.
> Then a Brian round. Now it's time to honor a third member of
> Axxxe, namely B.J. -- and this time with a handout!
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/8-3/bj.pdf
>
> Again I've sorted the questions into picture order, and again
> there are no decoys in this round. Note also that the letters
> are *below* the pictures; the bottom picture on each page is
> unlettered and intended for humor value.
>
> 1. In picture A, who is this pop crooner, most popular in the
> 1960s and 1970s?
B.J. Thomas

> 2. In picture B, who is B.J.'s sidekick in this 1979-81 comedy
> series? (Give the name as it appears in the title.)
>
> 3. In picture C, who is this Maple Leaf great, sometimes nicknamed
> "B.J."?
>
> 4. Picture D shows a relief pitcher for the Jays from 2006 to 2009.
> He signed a big contract, but his career was cut short by
> arm problems. Name him.
>
> 5. Picture E. Name this *character* from a long-running 1970s
> sitcom.
B.J. Honeycutt

> 6. Picture F is for the youngsters -- a 21st-century entertainment
> question! Name this writer and actor from a popular 2000s
> comedy series.
>
> 7. In picture G, Billie Joe Armstong says hello. Name the band
> pictured.
>
> 8. In picture H, the "J." in "B.J." is not the middle initial.
> We ran out of amusing ones. Bon Jovi would've been nice here,
> but you get this guy instead. Give his *first and last name*.
Billy Joel

> 9. Picture I. This US general led American Expeditionary Forces
> in World War I and later lent his name to a popular and stylish
> line of battle tanks. His nickname was "Black Jack", so they
> probably called him "B.J." behind his back. Name him.
Pershing

Bruce Bowler

Dec 22, 2014, 9:11:12 AM12/22/14
On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 21:47:40 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-11-10, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the
> questions and place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe, and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2014-09-15
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 2 - History - Czarist/Communist Russia

Nyet!

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Miscellaneous - Oh, to be a B.J.!
>
> Earlier this season we had an audio round of Jim talking to people.
> Then a Brian round. Now it's time to honor a third member of Axxxe,
> namely B.J. -- and this time with a handout!
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/8-3/bj.pdf
>
> Again I've sorted the questions into picture order, and again there are
> no decoys in this round. Note also that the letters are *below* the
> pictures; the bottom picture on each page is unlettered and intended for
> humor value.
>
> 1. In picture A, who is this pop crooner, most popular in the
> 1960s and 1970s?

B.J. Thomas

> 2. In picture B, who is B.J.'s sidekick in this 1979-81 comedy
> series? (Give the name as it appears in the title.)

The Bear

> 3. In picture C, who is this Maple Leaf great, sometimes nicknamed
> "B.J."?
>
> 4. Picture D shows a relief pitcher for the Jays from 2006 to 2009.
> He signed a big contract, but his career was cut short by arm
> problems. Name him.
>
> 5. Picture E. Name this *character* from a long-running 1970s
> sitcom.

B.J. Hunnicutt

> 6. Picture F is for the youngsters -- a 21st-century entertainment
> question! Name this writer and actor from a popular 2000s comedy
> series.
>
> 7. In picture G, Billie Joe Armstong says hello. Name the band
> pictured.
>
> 8. In picture H, the "J." in "B.J." is not the middle initial.
> We ran out of amusing ones. Bon Jovi would've been nice here, but
> you get this guy instead. Give his *first and last name*.

Billy Joel

> 9. Picture I. This US general led American Expeditionary Forces
> in World War I and later lent his name to a popular and stylish line
> of battle tanks. His nickname was "Black Jack", so they probably
> called him "B.J." behind his back. Name him.

Pershing

Mark Brader

Dec 24, 2014, 12:47:53 AM12/24/14
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-11-10,
> see my 2014-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 8, Round 2 - History - Czarist/Communist Russia

> You say you want a revolution? This round is about Mother Russia
> from Napoleon to Stalin.

> 1. Under which Czar did Russia repel Napoleon's invasion?

Alexander I. 2 for Calvin.

> 2. This Czar is often called the Abraham Lincoln of Russia.
> He was a reformer who freed the serfs in 1866 and was
> assassinated. Name him.

Alexander II. 4 for Calvin.

> 3. According to Boney M., Rasputin was Russia's greatest love
> machine. That may be, but can you name the czarina he
> spiritually advised?

Alexandra. 4 for Pete.

> 4. Who led the provisional government of Russia between the fall
> of the czars and the takeover by the Bolsheviks?

Alexander Kerensky. 4 for Dan.

> 5. Please decode the rot13 for question #5 only after you have
> finished with questions #1-4, thus establishing the theme of
> Alexanders and Alexandras for the first 5 questions. To complete
> this theme, we now move back in time 30 years. In response
> to Alexander II's assassination, his son Alexander III battled
> against terrorists. In 1887 this Alexander was also faced with
> an assassination plot, but it was thwarted and yet another
> Alexander -- Alexander Ulyanov -- was among the men hanged
> for it. Now, what exactly is the connection between that
> last Alexander and the Russian Revolution 30 years later?
> Be specific.

He was Lenin's brother.

> 6. And now, back to the Bolsheviks. After being smuggled back into
> Russia via Finland by the Germans, the exiled Lenin addressed
> them with a barn-burner of a speech that served as a call
> to revolution. By what name is that speech now known?

The April Theses.

> 7. What significant event happened at Yekaterinburg, Russia,
> on 1918-07-17?

The former czar was executed, along with his family. 4 for Dan,
Pete, and Marc. 2 for Calvin.

> 8. In the Russian Civil War of 1917-22, the Bolsheviks' "Red Army"
> fought anti-Communist forces known by what name?

The White Army (or White Russians). 4 for Dan, Pete, Erland,
Calvin, and Marc.

> 9. What relevant event happened on 1940-08-21 in the Mexico City
> suburb of Coyoacán?

Leon Trotsky was murdered by a Stalinist agent. 4 for Dan, Pete,
Erland, Calvin, and Marc.

> 10. Either name the Bolshevik secret police under Lenin, or give
> the new name they adopted in 1934 under Stalin. (Give the
> short form in either case.)

Cheka, NKVD. 4 for Dan, Erland, and Calvin.

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Miscellaneous - Oh, to be a B.J.!

> Earlier this season we had an audio round of Jim talking to people.
> Then a Brian round. Now it's time to honor a third member of
> Axxxe, namely B.J. -- and this time with a handout!

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/8-3/bj.pdf

> Again I've sorted the questions into picture order, and again
> there are no decoys in this round. Note also that the letters
> are *below* the pictures; the bottom picture on each page is
> unlettered and intended for humor value.

This was the easiest round in the original game.

> 1. In picture A, who is this pop crooner, most popular in the
> 1960s and 1970s?

B.J. Thomas. 4 for Pete, Marc, and Bruce.

> 2. In picture B, who is B.J.'s sidekick in this 1979-81 comedy
> series? (Give the name as it appears in the title.)

The Bear. 4 for Dan, Pete, Calvin, and Bruce.

> 3. In picture C, who is this Maple Leaf great, sometimes nicknamed
> "B.J."?

Borje Salming. 4 for Pete and Erland.

> 4. Picture D shows a relief pitcher for the Jays from 2006 to 2009.
> He signed a big contract, but his career was cut short by
> arm problems. Name him.

B.J. Ryan.

> 5. Picture E. Name this *character* from a long-running 1970s
> sitcom.

Capt. B.J. Hunnicutt. 4 for Dan, Pete, Calvin, Marc, and Bruce.

Played by Mike Farrell, he appeared on "M*A*S*H" from season 4 onwards,
i.e. starting in 1975.

> 6. Picture F is for the youngsters -- a 21st-century entertainment
> question! Name this writer and actor from a popular 2000s
> comedy series.

B.J. Novak. 4 for Calvin.

He played Ryan Howard on the US version of "The Office" for almost its
entire run.

> 7. In picture G, Billie Joe Armstong says hello. Name the band
> pictured.

Green Day. 4 for Dan.

> 8. In picture H, the "J." in "B.J." is not the middle initial.
> We ran out of amusing ones. Bon Jovi would've been nice here,
> but you get this guy instead. Give his *first and last name*.

Billy Joel. 4 for Dan, Pete, Calvin, Marc, and Bruce.

> 9. Picture I. This US general led American Expeditionary Forces
> in World War I and later lent his name to a popular and stylish
> line of battle tanks. His nickname was "Black Jack", so they
> probably called him "B.J." behind his back. Name him.

John James Pershing. 4 for Dan, Pete, Calvin, Marc, and Bruce.

> 10. In picture J, meet B.J. Vorster, the prime minister 1966-78 --
> of which nation?

South Africa. 4 for Dan, Erland, and Calvin.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Mis
"Calvin" 20 24 44
Dan Blum 20 24 44
Pete Gayde 16 24 40
Marc Dashevsky 12 16 28
Erland Sommarskog 12 8 20
Bruce Bowler 0 20 20

--
Mark Brader | "What ever happened to the concept of 'less is more'?"
Toronto | "Ah, but if less is more, then just think how much

Dan Tilque

Dec 24, 2014, 3:59:10 AM12/24/14
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 2 - History - Czarist/Communist Russia
>
> You say you want a revolution? This round is about Mother Russia
> from Napoleon to Stalin.
>
> 1. Under which Czar did Russia repel Napoleon's invasion?
>
> 2. This Czar is often called the Abraham Lincoln of Russia.
> He was a reformer who freed the serfs in 1866 and was
> assassinated. Name him.

Nicholas I

> 3. According to Boney M., Rasputin was Russia's greatest love
> machine. That may be, but can you name the czarina he
> spiritually advised?

Catherine

> 4. Who led the provisional government of Russia between the fall
> of the czars and the takeover by the Bolsheviks?
>
> 5. Please decode the rot13 for question #5 only after you have
> finished with questions #1-4, guhf rfgnoyvfuvat gur gurzr bs
> Nyrknaqref naq Nyrknaqenf sbe gur svefg 5 dhrfgvbaf. Gb pbzcyrgr
> guvf gurzr, jr abj zbir onpx va gvzr 30 lrnef. Va erfcbafr
> gb Nyrknaqre VV'f nffnffvangvba, uvf fba Nyrknaqre VVV onggyrq
> ntnvafg greebevfgf. Va 1887 guvf Nyrknaqre jnf nyfb snprq jvgu
> na nffnffvangvba cybg, ohg vg jnf gujnegrq naq lrg nabgure
> Nyrknaqre -- Nyrknaqre Hylnabi -- jnf nzbat gur zra unatrq
> sbe vg. Abj, jung rknpgyl vf gur pbaarpgvba orgjrra gung
> ynfg Nyrknaqre naq gur Ehffvna Eribyhgvba 30 lrnef yngre?
> Or fcrpvsvp.
>
> 6. And now, back to the Bolsheviks. After being smuggled back into
> Russia via Finland by the Germans, the exiled Lenin addressed
> them with a barn-burner of a speech that served as a call
> to revolution. By what name is that speech now known?
>
> 7. What significant event happened at Yekaterinburg, Russia,
> on 1918-07-17?

Tsar and his family murdered

> 8. In the Russian Civil War of 1917-22, the Bolsheviks' "Red Army"
> fought anti-Communist forces known by what name?

White Army

> 9. What relevant event happened on 1940-08-21 in the Mexico City
> suburb of Coyoacán?

assassination of Trotsky

> 10. Either name the Bolshevik secret police under Lenin, or give
> the new name they adopted in 1934 under Stalin. (Give the
> short form in either case.)

KGB

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Miscellaneous - Oh, to be a B.J.!
>
> Earlier this season we had an audio round of Jim talking to people.
> Then a Brian round. Now it's time to honor a third member of
> Axxxe, namely B.J. -- and this time with a handout!
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/8-3/bj.pdf
>
> Again I've sorted the questions into picture order, and again
> there are no decoys in this round. Note also that the letters
> are *below* the pictures; the bottom picture on each page is
> unlettered and intended for humor value.
>
> 1. In picture A, who is this pop crooner, most popular in the
> 1960s and 1970s?
>
> 2. In picture B, who is B.J.'s sidekick in this 1979-81 comedy
> series? (Give the name as it appears in the title.)
>
> 3. In picture C, who is this Maple Leaf great, sometimes nicknamed
> "B.J."?
>
> 4. Picture D shows a relief pitcher for the Jays from 2006 to 2009.
> He signed a big contract, but his career was cut short by
> arm problems. Name him.
>
> 5. Picture E. Name this *character* from a long-running 1970s
> sitcom.

Hunnicutt

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Dec 24, 2014, 5:08:16 AM12/24/14
If Dan Tilque had posted his answers on time, he would have scored
12 points on Round 2 and 8 on Round 3.
--
Mark Brader | "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
Toronto | "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have