Joe's Christmas Quiz

Joe Masters

Dec 22, 2019, 3:21:32 PM12/22/19
And the theme is ....

1. What links: Humphrey Bogart; Sissy Spacek; Annie Lennox; Dido; Jimmy
Buffett?
2. Charles Dickens wrote five 'Christmas Books', the first and best
known being A Christmas Carol. Name any one of the other four.
3. On Christmas Eve/Christmas Day 1826 there was a riot at West point
Military Academy. What caused the riot? Alternatively give the name by
which the riot has come to be known.
4. Clarence Odbody (angel second class) appears in what festive film?
5. Which Christmas hit was named after a JP Donleavy novel?
6. According to the Guiness Book of Records how long in metres was the
world's longest Christmas Cracker? Answer within 10%.
7. What links: Dean Martin; Charlie Chaplin; James Brown; Eartha Kitt;
George Michael?

Answers after Christmas.

--
“To err, as they say, is human. To forgive is divine. To err by
withholding your forgiveness until it’s too late is to become divinely

Dan Blum

Dec 22, 2019, 11:54:42 PM12/22/19
Joe Masters <j...@joemasters.me.uk> wrote:

> 1. What links: Humphrey Bogart; Sissy Spacek; Annie Lennox; Dido; Jimmy
> Buffett?

They were all born on Christmas.

> 4. Clarence Odbody (angel second class) appears in what festive film?

It's a Wonderful Life

> 6. According to the Guiness Book of Records how long in metres was the
> world's longest Christmas Cracker? Answer within 10%.

20

> 7. What links: Dean Martin; Charlie Chaplin; James Brown; Eartha Kitt;
> George Michael?

They all died on Christman.

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Dec 23, 2019, 6:40:13 AM12/23/19
Joe Masters:
> 1. What links: Humphrey Bogart; Sissy Spacek; Annie Lennox; Dido; Jimmy
> Buffett?

Born on December 25?

> 2. Charles Dickens wrote five 'Christmas Books', the first and best
> known being A Christmas Carol. Name any one of the other four.

"Pickwick Papers"?

> 3. On Christmas Eve/Christmas Day 1826 there was a riot at West point
> Military Academy. What caused the riot? Alternatively give the name by
> which the riot has come to be known.

Cancellation of leave?

> 4. Clarence Odbody (angel second class) appears in what festive film?

"It's a Wonderful Life".

> 5. Which Christmas hit was named after a JP Donleavy novel?

"I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus"?

> 6. According to the Guiness Book of Records how long in metres was the
> world's longest Christmas Cracker? Answer within 10%.

150?

> 7. What links: Dean Martin; Charlie Chaplin; James Brown; Eartha Kitt;
> George Michael?

Died on December 25?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "You are not the customer,
m...@vex.net you are the product."

Pete Gayde

Dec 23, 2019, 11:56:36 AM12/23/19
Joe Masters <j...@joemasters.me.uk> wrote in news:h6a1iaFn4s1U1
@mid.individual.net:

> And the theme is ....
>
> 1. What links: Humphrey Bogart; Sissy Spacek; Annie Lennox; Dido; Jimmy
> Buffett?
> 2. Charles Dickens wrote five 'Christmas Books', the first and best
> known being A Christmas Carol. Name any one of the other four.
> 3. On Christmas Eve/Christmas Day 1826 there was a riot at West point
> Military Academy. What caused the riot? Alternatively give the name by
> which the riot has come to be known.
> 4. Clarence Odbody (angel second class) appears in what festive film?

It's a Wonderful Life

> 5. Which Christmas hit was named after a JP Donleavy novel?

White Christmas

> 6. According to the Guiness Book of Records how long in metres was the
> world's longest Christmas Cracker? Answer within 10%.

90

> 7. What links: Dean Martin; Charlie Chaplin; James Brown; Eartha Kitt;
> George Michael?

Sang "Baby, It's Cold Outside"

> Answers after Christmas.

Pete Gayde

swp

Dec 24, 2019, 11:35:48 AM12/24/19
On Sunday, December 22, 2019 at 3:21:32 PM UTC-5, Joe Masters wrote:
> And the theme is ....
>
> 1. What links: Humphrey Bogart; Sissy Spacek; Annie Lennox; Dido; Jimmy
> Buffett?

born on Christmas Day

> 2. Charles Dickens wrote five 'Christmas Books', the first and best
> known being A Christmas Carol. Name any one of the other four.

the chimes

> 3. On Christmas Eve/Christmas Day 1826 there was a riot at West point
> Military Academy. What caused the riot? Alternatively give the name by
> which the riot has come to be known.

the eggnog riot

> 4. Clarence Odbody (angel second class) appears in what festive film?

it's a wonderful life

> 5. Which Christmas hit was named after a JP Donleavy novel?

the gingerbread man?

> 6. According to the Guiness Book of Records how long in metres was the
> world's longest Christmas Cracker? Answer within 10%.

200 feet?

> 7. What links: Dean Martin; Charlie Chaplin; James Brown; Eartha Kitt;
> George Michael?

died on Christmas Day

swp

Joe Masters

Jan 1, 2020, 7:02:17 AM1/1/20
On 2019-12-22 20:21:30 +0000, Joe Masters said:

> 1. What links: Humphrey Bogart; Sissy Spacek; Annie Lennox; Dido; Jimmy
> Buffett?

Entertainers who were born on Christmas day.

A point apiece to Dan, Mark and swp.

I could have included Justin Trudeau but I don't consider blackface to
be entertainment.

> 2. Charles Dickens wrote five 'Christmas Books', the first and best
> known being A Christmas Carol. Name any one of the other four.

The Chimes
The Cricket on the Hearth
The Battle of Life
The Haunted Man and the Ghost's Bargain

Singleton to swp

> 3. On Christmas Eve/Christmas Day 1826 there was a riot at West point
> Military Academy. What caused the riot? Alternatively give the name by
> which the riot has come to be known.

The Eggnog Riot. Alcohol was banned at West Point but it was a
tradition that eggnog was consumed at Christmas. Some cadets smuggled
in barrels of rum and whiskey. By 4am on Christmas day the party was
getting out of hand. Senior officers were assaulted and several cadets
arrested, 19 of whom were court martialled and 10 expelled, including
two future confederate generals and a future supreme court judge.

Singleton to swp

> 4. Clarence Odbody (angel second class) appears in what festive film?

It's a Wonderful Life

Everybody got this. I'd have been surprised if it was otherwise.

> 5. Which Christmas hit was named after a JP Donleavy novel?

Fairytale of New York

Nobody got this. Some say this is not a Christmas song. Well, the first
line is "It was Christmas eve babe" so I think that qualifies.

> 6. According to the Guiness Book of Records how long in metres was the
> world's longest Christmas Cracker? Answer within 10%.

63.1 Metres (just over 207 feet)

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/largest-christmas-cracker-/

I did ask for the answer in metres but as it's the season of goodwill,
one point to swp.

> 7. What links: Dean Martin; Charlie Chaplin; James Brown; Eartha Kitt;
> George Michael?

Entertainers who died on Christmas day

A point apiece to Dan, Mark and swp.

Sadly, George Michael's sister Melanie Panayiotou passed away this
Christmas day just gone, three years to the day after her brother.

Looks like swp has won this by a mile. Thanks for playing and Happy New
Year to all.

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Total
swp 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 6
Dan 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 3
Mark 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 3
Pete 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1

Mark Brader

Jan 2, 2020, 12:59:57 AM1/2/20
Joe Masters:
> Looks like swp has won this by a mile.

Congratulations, Steve.

> Thanks for playing and Happy New Year to all.

Thanks for the contest.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Some idiots live in the perpetual shadow
m...@vex.net | of the whoosh bird... --D.F. Manno