QFTCI16 Final, Round 8: Science

Mark Brader

Nov 16, 2016, 9:02:33 PM11/16/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-08-09,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

I wrote 3 triples in this roudnd.

** Final, Round 8 -- Science

* A. Tough Conversion Factors (Non-Metric)

A1. There are 86,400 *what* in a *what*?
A2. There are 43,560 *what* in a *what*?
A3. There are 63,360 *what* in a *what*?

* B. Lesser-Known Inventors

These questions are about earlier inventors who worked on the same
things that, in each case, made someone else's name a household
word. In each case, tell us what they all invented forms of.

B1. In ancient Greece, Hero made a toy one; in England in 1712,
Thomas Newcomen made a usable one. But Newcomen's design
had a major inefficiency and it was another man who changed
the world by eliminating this flaw. What did they invent?

B2. Gustave Whitehead did it first, in Connecticut in 1901;
or Richard Pearse, in New Zealand in 1899; or Clément
Ader, in France in 1890. At the Smithsonian for decades
they insisted it was their own boss, Samuel Langley.
Brazilians say it was Alberto Santos-Dumont. But none of
them was able to make a practical machine and prove it,
as the inventors you've no doubt heard of did. What,
allegedly, did they all invent?

B3. In 1849 it was invented by Antonio Meucci in Cuba. Or it was
Johann Reis in Germany in 1860. Then there was the near-miss
by Elisha Gray in Ohio, whose filing at the patent office
in 1876 was just hours after the man whose name is still
remembered. What did they invent?

* C. Our Feathered Friends

In each case we'll give you a bird name with a word missing;
you fill it in. Each answer refers to a body part.

C1. Rose-____ grosbeak
C2. Red-____ hawk
C3. Yellow-____ sapsucker

* D. Scat (and yes, we do mean poop)

If you go down to the woods today, you're sure of a big surprise.
For those who loved the flatulence round in Game 1 this season
(but especially for those who didn't), tonight we'll go to the
seat of the matter with these questions on scat.

We'll show you four pictures each of the droppings of a wild
animal species, and you name the animal. You don't have to be
very specific: if we showed you rat droppings (and we won't)
you wouldn't have to say "Norway rat", for example. Tip: The
appearance of the poop may change depending on what the animal
was eating the day before.

D1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/scat/d1.jpg
One picture has an American penny for scale, and another
has a Canadian toonie.

D2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/scat/d2.jpg
There are scales in inches and centimeters.

D3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/scat/d3.jpg
One picture has a US penny.

* E. Strange Eating Disorders

E1. Xylophagia is an eating disorder revolving around the
consumption of a certain substance or its related products.
The condition is mostly seen in children. Name the
substance.

E2. Anthropophagy, a form of which is autosarcophagy, refers
to the eating of what?

E3. Trichophagia is the compulsive desire to eat what?
The substance in question does not provide any nutrition,
but can remain in your stomach for months or even years.

* F. Oxides

F1. Corundum is an oxide of what element?
F2. Magnetite is an oxide of what element?
F3. Quicklime is an oxide of what element?

--
Mark Brader "I wonder why. I wonder why.
Toronto I wonder why I wonder.

Joshua Kreitzer

Nov 16, 2016, 10:39:18 PM11/16/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:8ICdnTdJto4pkrDFnZ2dnUU7-
RfN...@giganews.com:

> ** Final, Round 8 -- Science
>
> * A. Tough Conversion Factors (Non-Metric)
>
> A3. There are 63,360 *what* in a *what*?

square feet in an acre

> * B. Lesser-Known Inventors
>
> These questions are about earlier inventors who worked on the same
> things that, in each case, made someone else's name a household
> word. In each case, tell us what they all invented forms of.
>
> B2. Gustave Whitehead did it first, in Connecticut in 1901;
> or Richard Pearse, in New Zealand in 1899; or Clément
> Ader, in France in 1890. At the Smithsonian for decades
> they insisted it was their own boss, Samuel Langley.
> Brazilians say it was Alberto Santos-Dumont. But none of
> them was able to make a practical machine and prove it,
> as the inventors you've no doubt heard of did. What,
> allegedly, did they all invent?

airplane

> B3. In 1849 it was invented by Antonio Meucci in Cuba. Or it was
> Johann Reis in Germany in 1860. Then there was the near-miss
> by Elisha Gray in Ohio, whose filing at the patent office
> in 1876 was just hours after the man whose name is still
> remembered. What did they invent?

telephone

> * C. Our Feathered Friends
>
> In each case we'll give you a bird name with a word missing;
> you fill it in. Each answer refers to a body part.
>
> C2. Red-____ hawk

tailed

> C3. Yellow-____ sapsucker

bellied

> * E. Strange Eating Disorders
>
> E1. Xylophagia is an eating disorder revolving around the
> consumption of a certain substance or its related products.
> The condition is mostly seen in children. Name the
> substance.

wood; paper

> E2. Anthropophagy, a form of which is autosarcophagy, refers
> to the eating of what?

people

> E3. Trichophagia is the compulsive desire to eat what?
> The substance in question does not provide any nutrition,
> but can remain in your stomach for months or even years.

chewing gum

> * F. Oxides
>
> F2. Magnetite is an oxide of what element?

iron

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 17, 2016, 2:36:17 AM11/17/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> ** Final, Round 8 -- Science
>
> * A. Tough Conversion Factors (Non-Metric)
>
> A1. There are 86,400 *what* in a *what*?

Seconds in day.

> B2. Gustave Whitehead did it first, in Connecticut in 1901;
> or Richard Pearse, in New Zealand in 1899; or Clément
> Ader, in France in 1890. At the Smithsonian for decades
> they insisted it was their own boss, Samuel Langley.
> Brazilians say it was Alberto Santos-Dumont. But none of
> them was able to make a practical machine and prove it,
> as the inventors you've no doubt heard of did. What,
> allegedly, did they all invent?

Stirling engine

> B3. In 1849 it was invented by Antonio Meucci in Cuba. Or it was
> Johann Reis in Germany in 1860. Then there was the near-miss
> by Elisha Gray in Ohio, whose filing at the patent office
> in 1876 was just hours after the man whose name is still
> remembered. What did they invent?

Telephone

> * F. Oxides
>
> F1. Corundum is an oxide of what element?

Chrome

> F2. Magnetite is an oxide of what element?

Iron

> F3. Quicklime is an oxide of what element?

Calcium

Dan Tilque

Nov 17, 2016, 2:57:22 AM11/17/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 8 -- Science
>
> * A. Tough Conversion Factors (Non-Metric)
>
> A1. There are 86,400 *what* in a *what*?

seconds in a day

> A2. There are 43,560 *what* in a *what*?
> A3. There are 63,360 *what* in a *what*?

inches in a mile

> * B. Lesser-Known Inventors
>
> These questions are about earlier inventors who worked on the same
> things that, in each case, made someone else's name a household
> word. In each case, tell us what they all invented forms of.
>
> B1. In ancient Greece, Hero made a toy one; in England in 1712,
> Thomas Newcomen made a usable one. But Newcomen's design
> had a major inefficiency and it was another man who changed
> the world by eliminating this flaw. What did they invent?

steam engine

> B2. Gustave Whitehead did it first, in Connecticut in 1901;
> or Richard Pearse, in New Zealand in 1899; or Clément
> Ader, in France in 1890. At the Smithsonian for decades
> they insisted it was their own boss, Samuel Langley.
> Brazilians say it was Alberto Santos-Dumont. But none of
> them was able to make a practical machine and prove it,
> as the inventors you've no doubt heard of did. What,
> allegedly, did they all invent?

heavier-than-air flying craft

> B3. In 1849 it was invented by Antonio Meucci in Cuba. Or it was
> Johann Reis in Germany in 1860. Then there was the near-miss
> by Elisha Gray in Ohio, whose filing at the patent office
> in 1876 was just hours after the man whose name is still
> remembered. What did they invent?

telephone

> * C. Our Feathered Friends
>
> In each case we'll give you a bird name with a word missing;
> you fill it in. Each answer refers to a body part.
>
> C1. Rose-____ grosbeak

crested

> C2. Red-____ hawk

wing

> C3. Yellow-____ sapsucker

belly

> * D. Scat (and yes, we do mean poop)
>
> If you go down to the woods today, you're sure of a big surprise.
> For those who loved the flatulence round in Game 1 this season
> (but especially for those who didn't), tonight we'll go to the
> seat of the matter with these questions on scat.
>
> We'll show you four pictures each of the droppings of a wild
> animal species, and you name the animal. You don't have to be
> very specific: if we showed you rat droppings (and we won't)
> you wouldn't have to say "Norway rat", for example. Tip: The
> appearance of the poop may change depending on what the animal
> was eating the day before.
>
> D1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/scat/d1.jpg
> One picture has an American penny for scale, and another
> has a Canadian toonie.

squirrel

> D2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/scat/d2.jpg
> There are scales in inches and centimeters.
>
> D3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/scat/d3.jpg
> One picture has a US penny.
>

> * E. Strange Eating Disorders
>
> E1. Xylophagia is an eating disorder revolving around the
> consumption of a certain substance or its related products.
> The condition is mostly seen in children. Name the
> substance.

dirt

> E2. Anthropophagy, a form of which is autosarcophagy, refers
> to the eating of what?

humans

> E3. Trichophagia is the compulsive desire to eat what?
> The substance in question does not provide any nutrition,
> but can remain in your stomach for months or even years.

plastic

> * F. Oxides
>
> F1. Corundum is an oxide of what element?

aluminum

> F2. Magnetite is an oxide of what element?

iron

> F3. Quicklime is an oxide of what element?

calcium

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Blum

Nov 17, 2016, 5:01:46 AM11/17/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 8 -- Science

> * A. Tough Conversion Factors (Non-Metric)

> A1. There are 86,400 *what* in a *what*?

seconds in a day

> * B. Lesser-Known Inventors

> B1. In ancient Greece, Hero made a toy one; in England in 1712,
> Thomas Newcomen made a usable one. But Newcomen's design
> had a major inefficiency and it was another man who changed
> the world by eliminating this flaw. What did they invent?

steam engine

> B2. Gustave Whitehead did it first, in Connecticut in 1901;
> or Richard Pearse, in New Zealand in 1899; or Cl?ment
> Ader, in France in 1890. At the Smithsonian for decades
> they insisted it was their own boss, Samuel Langley.
> Brazilians say it was Alberto Santos-Dumont. But none of
> them was able to make a practical machine and prove it,
> as the inventors you've no doubt heard of did. What,
> allegedly, did they all invent?

airplane

> B3. In 1849 it was invented by Antonio Meucci in Cuba. Or it was
> Johann Reis in Germany in 1860. Then there was the near-miss
> by Elisha Gray in Ohio, whose filing at the patent office
> in 1876 was just hours after the man whose name is still
> remembered. What did they invent?

telephone

> * C. Our Feathered Friends

> C1. Rose-____ grosbeak

headed

> C2. Red-____ hawk

tailed

> C3. Yellow-____ sapsucker

bellied

> * D. Scat (and yes, we do mean poop)

> D1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/scat/d1.jpg
> One picture has an American penny for scale, and another
> has a Canadian toonie.

deer

> D2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/scat/d2.jpg
> There are scales in inches and centimeters.

horse; cow

> D3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/scat/d3.jpg
> One picture has a US penny.

raccoon

> * E. Strange Eating Disorders

> E1. Xylophagia is an eating disorder revolving around the
> consumption of a certain substance or its related products.
> The condition is mostly seen in children. Name the
> substance.

wood

> E2. Anthropophagy, a form of which is autosarcophagy, refers
> to the eating of what?

people

> E3. Trichophagia is the compulsive desire to eat what?
> The substance in question does not provide any nutrition,
> but can remain in your stomach for months or even years.

hair

> * F. Oxides

> F1. Corundum is an oxide of what element?

aluminum

> F2. Magnetite is an oxide of what element?

iron

> F3. Quicklime is an oxide of what element?

calcium

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

bbowler

Nov 17, 2016, 9:05:52 AM11/17/16
On Wed, 16 Nov 2016 20:02:28 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-08-09, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the
> questions and place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2016-05-31
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote 3 triples in this roudnd.
>

> ** Final, Round 8 -- Science
>
> * A. Tough Conversion Factors (Non-Metric)
>
> A1. There are 86,400 *what* in a *what*?

seconds in a day

> A2. There are 43,560 *what* in a *what*?

square feet in an acre

> A3. There are 63,360 *what* in a *what*?

inches in a (statute) mile

> * B. Lesser-Known Inventors
>
> These questions are about earlier inventors who worked on the same
> things that, in each case, made someone else's name a household word.
> In each case, tell us what they all invented forms of.
>
> B1. In ancient Greece, Hero made a toy one; in England in 1712,
> Thomas Newcomen made a usable one. But Newcomen's design had a
> major inefficiency and it was another man who changed the world
> by eliminating this flaw. What did they invent?

Stream Engine

> B2. Gustave Whitehead did it first, in Connecticut in 1901;
> or Richard Pearse, in New Zealand in 1899; or Clément Ader, in
> France in 1890. At the Smithsonian for decades they insisted it
> was their own boss, Samuel Langley. Brazilians say it was Alberto
> Santos-Dumont. But none of them was able to make a practical
> machine and prove it,
> as the inventors you've no doubt heard of did. What, allegedly,
> did they all invent?

Airplane

> B3. In 1849 it was invented by Antonio Meucci in Cuba. Or it was
> Johann Reis in Germany in 1860. Then there was the near-miss by
> Elisha Gray in Ohio, whose filing at the patent office in 1876
> was just hours after the man whose name is still remembered.
> What did they invent?

Telephone

> * C. Our Feathered Friends
>
> In each case we'll give you a bird name with a word missing;
> you fill it in. Each answer refers to a body part.
>
> C1. Rose-____ grosbeak C2. Red-____ hawk C3. Yellow-____ sapsucker

C1 - breasted
C2 - tail
C3 - bellied

> * D. Scat (and yes, we do mean poop)
>
> If you go down to the woods today, you're sure of a big surprise. For
> those who loved the flatulence round in Game 1 this season (but
> especially for those who didn't), tonight we'll go to the seat of the
> matter with these questions on scat.
>
> We'll show you four pictures each of the droppings of a wild animal
> species, and you name the animal. You don't have to be very specific:
> if we showed you rat droppings (and we won't)
> you wouldn't have to say "Norway rat", for example. Tip: The appearance
> of the poop may change depending on what the animal was eating the day
> before.
>
> D1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/scat/d1.jpg
> One picture has an American penny for scale, and another has a
> Canadian toonie.

Deer

> D2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/scat/d2.jpg
> There are scales in inches and centimeters.

Bear

> D3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/scat/d3.jpg
> One picture has a US penny.

Raccoon

> * E. Strange Eating Disorders
>
> E1. Xylophagia is an eating disorder revolving around the
> consumption of a certain substance or its related products. The
> condition is mostly seen in children. Name the substance.

musical instruments (as in xylophones :-)

> E2. Anthropophagy, a form of which is autosarcophagy, refers
> to the eating of what?

Human (autosarcophagy is eating yourself)

> E3. Trichophagia is the compulsive desire to eat what?
> The substance in question does not provide any nutrition, but can
> remain in your stomach for months or even years.

Hair

> * F. Oxides
>
> F1. Corundum is an oxide of what element?

Aluminum

> F2. Magnetite is an oxide of what element?

Iron

> F3. Quicklime is an oxide of what element?

Calcium

Peter Smyth

Nov 17, 2016, 10:53:20 AM11/17/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-08-09,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote 3 triples in this roudnd.
>

> ** Final, Round 8 -- Science
>
> * A. Tough Conversion Factors (Non-Metric)
>
> A1. There are 86,400 what in a what?
Seconds in a Day
> A2. There are 43,560 what in a what?
Seconds in 12 Hours 6 Minutes
> A3. There are 63,360 what in a what?
Inches in a Mile

> * B. Lesser-Known Inventors
>
> These questions are about earlier inventors who worked on the same
> things that, in each case, made someone else's name a household
> word. In each case, tell us what they all invented forms of.
>
> B1. In ancient Greece, Hero made a toy one; in England in 1712,
> Thomas Newcomen made a usable one. But Newcomen's design
> had a major inefficiency and it was another man who changed
> the world by eliminating this flaw. What did they invent?
Steam Engine
> B2. Gustave Whitehead did it first, in Connecticut in 1901;
> or Richard Pearse, in New Zealand in 1899; or Clément
> Ader, in France in 1890. At the Smithsonian for decades
> they insisted it was their own boss, Samuel Langley.
> Brazilians say it was Alberto Santos-Dumont. But none of
> them was able to make a practical machine and prove it,
> as the inventors you've no doubt heard of did. What,
> allegedly, did they all invent?
Aeroplane
Human flesh
> E3. Trichophagia is the compulsive desire to eat what?
> The substance in question does not provide any nutrition,
> but can remain in your stomach for months or even years.
Hair

> * F. Oxides
>
> F1. Corundum is an oxide of what element?
Beryllium
> F2. Magnetite is an oxide of what element?
Iron
> F3. Quicklime is an oxide of what element?
Calcium

Peter Smyth

Björn Lundin

Nov 17, 2016, 11:39:47 AM11/17/16
On 2016-11-17 03:02, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-08-09,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote 3 triples in this roudnd.
>

> ** Final, Round 8 -- Science
>
> * A. Tough Conversion Factors (Non-Metric)
>
> A1. There are 86,400 *what* in a *what*?
seconds in a day (24 hours)

> A2. There are 43,560 *what* in a *what*?
inches in a mile ?

> A3. There are 63,360 *what* in a *what*?
inches in a mile ?

> * B. Lesser-Known Inventors
>
> These questions are about earlier inventors who worked on the same
> things that, in each case, made someone else's name a household
> word. In each case, tell us what they all invented forms of.
>
> B1. In ancient Greece, Hero made a toy one; in England in 1712,
> Thomas Newcomen made a usable one. But Newcomen's design
> had a major inefficiency and it was another man who changed
> the world by eliminating this flaw. What did they invent?

Steam engine

> B2. Gustave Whitehead did it first, in Connecticut in 1901;
> or Richard Pearse, in New Zealand in 1899; or Clément
> Ader, in France in 1890. At the Smithsonian for decades
> they insisted it was their own boss, Samuel Langley.
> Brazilians say it was Alberto Santos-Dumont. But none of
> them was able to make a practical machine and prove it,
> as the inventors you've no doubt heard of did. What,
> allegedly, did they all invent?
>
> B3. In 1849 it was invented by Antonio Meucci in Cuba. Or it was
> Johann Reis in Germany in 1860. Then there was the near-miss
> by Elisha Gray in Ohio, whose filing at the patent office
> in 1876 was just hours after the man whose name is still
> remembered. What did they invent?

Telephone

> * C. Our Feathered Friends
>
> In each case we'll give you a bird name with a word missing;
> you fill it in. Each answer refers to a body part.
>
> C1. Rose-____ grosbeak
> C2. Red-____ hawk
> C3. Yellow-____ sapsucker
>

> * D. Scat (and yes, we do mean poop)
>
> If you go down to the woods today, you're sure of a big surprise.
> For those who loved the flatulence round in Game 1 this season
> (but especially for those who didn't), tonight we'll go to the
> seat of the matter with these questions on scat.
>
> We'll show you four pictures each of the droppings of a wild
> animal species, and you name the animal. You don't have to be
> very specific: if we showed you rat droppings (and we won't)
> you wouldn't have to say "Norway rat", for example. Tip: The
> appearance of the poop may change depending on what the animal
> was eating the day before.
>
> D1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/scat/d1.jpg
> One picture has an American penny for scale, and another
> has a Canadian toonie.

rabbit

> D2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/scat/d2.jpg
> There are scales in inches and centimeters.

sheep

> D3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/scat/d3.jpg
> One picture has a US penny.

fox

> * E. Strange Eating Disorders
>
> E1. Xylophagia is an eating disorder revolving around the
> consumption of a certain substance or its related products.
> The condition is mostly seen in children. Name the
> substance.

Sugar

> E2. Anthropophagy, a form of which is autosarcophagy, refers
> to the eating of what?
>
> E3. Trichophagia is the compulsive desire to eat what?
> The substance in question does not provide any nutrition,
> but can remain in your stomach for months or even years.
>

> * F. Oxides
>
> F1. Corundum is an oxide of what element?
> F2. Magnetite is an oxide of what element?
magnesium
> F3. Quicklime is an oxide of what element?

Björn

Marc Dashevsky

Nov 17, 2016, 12:04:38 PM11/17/16
In article <8ICdnTdJto4pkrDF...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> ** Final, Round 8 -- Science
>
> * A. Tough Conversion Factors (Non-Metric)
>
> A1. There are 86,400 *what* in a *what*?
seconds/day

> A2. There are 43,560 *what* in a *what*?
> A3. There are 63,360 *what* in a *what*?
inches/mile

> * B. Lesser-Known Inventors
>
> These questions are about earlier inventors who worked on the same
> things that, in each case, made someone else's name a household
> word. In each case, tell us what they all invented forms of.
>
> B1. In ancient Greece, Hero made a toy one; in England in 1712,
> Thomas Newcomen made a usable one. But Newcomen's design
> had a major inefficiency and it was another man who changed
> the world by eliminating this flaw. What did they invent?
>
> B2. Gustave Whitehead did it first, in Connecticut in 1901;
> or Richard Pearse, in New Zealand in 1899; or Clément
> Ader, in France in 1890. At the Smithsonian for decades
> they insisted it was their own boss, Samuel Langley.
> Brazilians say it was Alberto Santos-Dumont. But none of
> them was able to make a practical machine and prove it,
> as the inventors you've no doubt heard of did. What,
> allegedly, did they all invent?
heavier-than-air flight

> B3. In 1849 it was invented by Antonio Meucci in Cuba. Or it was
> Johann Reis in Germany in 1860. Then there was the near-miss
> by Elisha Gray in Ohio, whose filing at the patent office
> in 1876 was just hours after the man whose name is still
> remembered. What did they invent?
elevator

> * C. Our Feathered Friends
>
> In each case we'll give you a bird name with a word missing;
> you fill it in. Each answer refers to a body part.
>
> C1. Rose-____ grosbeak
breasted

> C2. Red-____ hawk
tailed

> C3. Yellow-____ sapsucker
bellied

> * D. Scat (and yes, we do mean poop)
>
> If you go down to the woods today, you're sure of a big surprise.
> For those who loved the flatulence round in Game 1 this season
> (but especially for those who didn't), tonight we'll go to the
> seat of the matter with these questions on scat.
>
> We'll show you four pictures each of the droppings of a wild
> animal species, and you name the animal. You don't have to be
> very specific: if we showed you rat droppings (and we won't)
> you wouldn't have to say "Norway rat", for example. Tip: The
> appearance of the poop may change depending on what the animal
> was eating the day before.
>
> D1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/scat/d1.jpg
> One picture has an American penny for scale, and another
> has a Canadian toonie.
rabbit

> D2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/scat/d2.jpg
> There are scales in inches and centimeters.
bear

> D3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/scat/d3.jpg
> One picture has a US penny.
raccoon

> * E. Strange Eating Disorders
>
> E1. Xylophagia is an eating disorder revolving around the
> consumption of a certain substance or its related products.
> The condition is mostly seen in children. Name the
> substance.
wood

> E2. Anthropophagy, a form of which is autosarcophagy, refers
> to the eating of what?
oneself

> E3. Trichophagia is the compulsive desire to eat what?
> The substance in question does not provide any nutrition,
> but can remain in your stomach for months or even years.
hair

> * F. Oxides
>
> F1. Corundum is an oxide of what element?
aluminum

> F2. Magnetite is an oxide of what element?
iron

> F3. Quicklime is an oxide of what element?
calcium

Gareth Owen

Nov 17, 2016, 2:52:16 PM11/17/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> A1. There are 86,400 *what* in a *what*?

Seconds in a day

> A2. There are 43,560 *what* in a *what*?

Square feet in an acre

> A3. There are 63,360 *what* in a *what*?

Inches in a mile

> * B. Lesser-Known Inventors
>
> These questions are about earlier inventors who worked on the same
> things that, in each case, made someone else's name a household
> word. In each case, tell us what they all invented forms of.
>
> B1. In ancient Greece, Hero made a toy one; in England in 1712,
> Thomas Newcomen made a usable one. But Newcomen's design
> had a major inefficiency and it was another man who changed
> the world by eliminating this flaw. What did they invent?

Steam power

> B2. Gustave Whitehead did it first, in Connecticut in 1901;
> or Richard Pearse, in New Zealand in 1899; or Clément
> Ader, in France in 1890. At the Smithsonian for decades
> they insisted it was their own boss, Samuel Langley.
> Brazilians say it was Alberto Santos-Dumont. But none of
> them was able to make a practical machine and prove it,
> as the inventors you've no doubt heard of did. What,
> allegedly, did they all invent?

Aeroplanes

> B3. In 1849 it was invented by Antonio Meucci in Cuba. Or it was
> Johann Reis in Germany in 1860. Then there was the near-miss
> by Elisha Gray in Ohio, whose filing at the patent office
> in 1876 was just hours after the man whose name is still
> remembered. What did they invent?

Telephone

> * C. Our Feathered Friends
>
> In each case we'll give you a bird name with a word missing;
> you fill it in. Each answer refers to a body part.
>
> C1. Rose-____ grosbeak

Wing, Claw

> C2. Red-____ hawk

Tail

> C3. Yellow-____ sapsucker

Beak, Claw

> * E. Strange Eating Disorders
>
> E1. Xylophagia is an eating disorder revolving around the
> consumption of a certain substance or its related products.
> The condition is mostly seen in children. Name the
> substance.

Dirt

> E2. Anthropophagy, a form of which is autosarcophagy, refers
> to the eating of what?

Human Flesh

> E3. Trichophagia is the compulsive desire to eat what?
> The substance in question does not provide any nutrition,
> but can remain in your stomach for months or even years.

Metal, Stone

> * F. Oxides
>
> F1. Corundum is an oxide of what element?

Alumin[i]um

> F2. Magnetite is an oxide of what element?

Iron

> F3. Quicklime is an oxide of what element?

Calcium

Calvin

Nov 17, 2016, 6:40:52 PM11/17/16
On Thursday, November 17, 2016 at 12:02:33 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

B, E and F, I reckon.

> ** Final, Round 8 -- Science
>
> * A. Tough Conversion Factors (Non-Metric)
>
> A1. There are 86,400 *what* in a *what*?
> A2. There are 43,560 *what* in a *what*?
> A3. There are 63,360 *what* in a *what*?
>

> * B. Lesser-Known Inventors
>
> These questions are about earlier inventors who worked on the same
> things that, in each case, made someone else's name a household
> word. In each case, tell us what they all invented forms of.
>
> B1. In ancient Greece, Hero made a toy one; in England in 1712,
> Thomas Newcomen made a usable one. But Newcomen's design
> had a major inefficiency and it was another man who changed
> the world by eliminating this flaw. What did they invent?
>
> B2. Gustave Whitehead did it first, in Connecticut in 1901;
> or Richard Pearse, in New Zealand in 1899; or Clément
> Ader, in France in 1890. At the Smithsonian for decades
> they insisted it was their own boss, Samuel Langley.
> Brazilians say it was Alberto Santos-Dumont. But none of
> them was able to make a practical machine and prove it,
> as the inventors you've no doubt heard of did. What,
> allegedly, did they all invent?

Telephone

> B3. In 1849 it was invented by Antonio Meucci in Cuba. Or it was
> Johann Reis in Germany in 1860. Then there was the near-miss
> by Elisha Gray in Ohio, whose filing at the patent office
> in 1876 was just hours after the man whose name is still
> remembered. What did they invent?
>

> * C. Our Feathered Friends
>
> In each case we'll give you a bird name with a word missing;
> you fill it in. Each answer refers to a body part.
>
> C1. Rose-____ grosbeak

Bellied, beaked

> C2. Red-____ hawk

Bellied, beaked

> C3. Yellow-____ sapsucker

Bellied, beaked

> * D. Scat (and yes, we do mean poop)
>
> If you go down to the woods today, you're sure of a big surprise.
> For those who loved the flatulence round in Game 1 this season
> (but especially for those who didn't), tonight we'll go to the
> seat of the matter with these questions on scat.
>
> We'll show you four pictures each of the droppings of a wild
> animal species, and you name the animal. You don't have to be
> very specific: if we showed you rat droppings (and we won't)
> you wouldn't have to say "Norway rat", for example. Tip: The
> appearance of the poop may change depending on what the animal
> was eating the day before.
>
> D1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/scat/d1.jpg
> One picture has an American penny for scale, and another
> has a Canadian toonie.
>
> D2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/scat/d2.jpg
> There are scales in inches and centimeters.
>
> D3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/scat/d3.jpg
> One picture has a US penny.
>

> * E. Strange Eating Disorders
>
> E1. Xylophagia is an eating disorder revolving around the
> consumption of a certain substance or its related products.
> The condition is mostly seen in children. Name the
> substance.

Dirt, wod

> E2. Anthropophagy, a form of which is autosarcophagy, refers
> to the eating of what?
>
> E3. Trichophagia is the compulsive desire to eat what?
> The substance in question does not provide any nutrition,
> but can remain in your stomach for months or even years.

Hair?

> * F. Oxides
>
> F1. Corundum is an oxide of what element?

Cobalt?

> F2. Magnetite is an oxide of what element?

Magnesium

> F3. Quicklime is an oxide of what element?

Calcium

cheers,
calvin

Pete

Nov 18, 2016, 9:59:00 AM11/18/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:8ICdnTdJto4pkrDFnZ2dnUU7-
RfN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-08-09,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote 3 triples in this roudnd.
>

> ** Final, Round 8 -- Science
>
> * A. Tough Conversion Factors (Non-Metric)
>
> A1. There are 86,400 *what* in a *what*?

Square feet in an acre

> A2. There are 43,560 *what* in a *what*?

Square feet in an acre

> A3. There are 63,360 *what* in a *what*?

Square feet in an acre

> * B. Lesser-Known Inventors
>
> These questions are about earlier inventors who worked on the same
> things that, in each case, made someone else's name a household
> word. In each case, tell us what they all invented forms of.
>
> B1. In ancient Greece, Hero made a toy one; in England in 1712,
> Thomas Newcomen made a usable one. But Newcomen's design
> had a major inefficiency and it was another man who changed
> the world by eliminating this flaw. What did they invent?

Steam engine

> B2. Gustave Whitehead did it first, in Connecticut in 1901;
> or Richard Pearse, in New Zealand in 1899; or Clément
> Ader, in France in 1890. At the Smithsonian for decades
> they insisted it was their own boss, Samuel Langley.
> Brazilians say it was Alberto Santos-Dumont. But none of
> them was able to make a practical machine and prove it,
> as the inventors you've no doubt heard of did. What,
> allegedly, did they all invent?

Airplane

> B3. In 1849 it was invented by Antonio Meucci in Cuba. Or it was
> Johann Reis in Germany in 1860. Then there was the near-miss
> by Elisha Gray in Ohio, whose filing at the patent office
> in 1876 was just hours after the man whose name is still
> remembered. What did they invent?

Telephone

> * C. Our Feathered Friends
>
> In each case we'll give you a bird name with a word missing;
> you fill it in. Each answer refers to a body part.
>
> C1. Rose-____ grosbeak

Headed

> C2. Red-____ hawk

Tailed

> C3. Yellow-____ sapsucker

Bellied

> * D. Scat (and yes, we do mean poop)
>
> If you go down to the woods today, you're sure of a big surprise.
> For those who loved the flatulence round in Game 1 this season
> (but especially for those who didn't), tonight we'll go to the
> seat of the matter with these questions on scat.
>
> We'll show you four pictures each of the droppings of a wild
> animal species, and you name the animal. You don't have to be
> very specific: if we showed you rat droppings (and we won't)
> you wouldn't have to say "Norway rat", for example. Tip: The
> appearance of the poop may change depending on what the animal
> was eating the day before.
>
> D1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/scat/d1.jpg
> One picture has an American penny for scale, and another
> has a Canadian toonie.

Rabbit

> D2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/scat/d2.jpg
> There are scales in inches and centimeters.

Bear

> D3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/scat/d3.jpg
> One picture has a US penny.

Coyote; Wolf

> * E. Strange Eating Disorders
>
> E1. Xylophagia is an eating disorder revolving around the
> consumption of a certain substance or its related products.
> The condition is mostly seen in children. Name the
> substance.

Lead

> E2. Anthropophagy, a form of which is autosarcophagy, refers
> to the eating of what?
>
> E3. Trichophagia is the compulsive desire to eat what?
> The substance in question does not provide any nutrition,
> but can remain in your stomach for months or even years.

Glass

> * F. Oxides
>
> F1. Corundum is an oxide of what element?

Carbon

> F2. Magnetite is an oxide of what element?

Magnesium

> F3. Quicklime is an oxide of what element?

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Nov 19, 2016, 11:07:02 PM11/19/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-08-09,
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I wrote 3 triples in this roudnd.

A, B, and F were mine.

> ** Final, Round 8 -- Science

> * A. Tough Conversion Factors (Non-Metric)

> A1. There are 86,400 *what* in a *what*?

Seconds in a day. 4 for Erland, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Bruce, Peter,
Björn, Marc, and Gareth.

> A2. There are 43,560 *what* in a *what*?

Square feet in an acre. 4 for Bruce, Gareth, and Pete.

> A3. There are 63,360 *what* in a *what*?

Inches in a mile. 4 for Dan Tilque, Bruce, Peter, Björn, Marc,
and Gareth.

> * B. Lesser-Known Inventors

> These questions are about earlier inventors who worked on the same
> things that, in each case, made someone else's name a household
> word. In each case, tell us what they all invented forms of.

> B1. In ancient Greece, Hero made a toy one; in England in 1712,
> Thomas Newcomen made a usable one. But Newcomen's design
> had a major inefficiency and it was another man who changed
> the world by eliminating this flaw. What did they invent?

Steam engines. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Brruce, Peter, Björn,
Gareth, and Pete.

In Newcomen's engine the steam was alternately expanded and condensed
within the same cylinder, which therefore had to be heated and
cooled alternately. James Watt's improvement was to use a separate,
cold cylinder for condensing. Where sufficient water was available,
the steam could alternatively just be released to the atmosphere,
as it was in Hero's toy.

> B2. Gustave Whitehead did it first, in Connecticut in 1901;
> or Richard Pearse, in New Zealand in 1899; or Clément
> Ader, in France in 1890. At the Smithsonian for decades
> they insisted it was their own boss, Samuel Langley.
> Brazilians say it was Alberto Santos-Dumont. But none of
> them was able to make a practical machine and prove it,
> as the inventors you've no doubt heard of did. What,
> allegedly, did they all invent?

Airplanes. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Bruce, Peter, Marc,
Gareth, and Pete.

> B3. In 1849 it was invented by Antonio Meucci in Cuba. Or it was
> Johann Reis in Germany in 1860. Then there was the near-miss
> by Elisha Gray in Ohio, whose filing at the patent office
> in 1876 was just hours after the man whose name is still
> remembered. What did they invent?

Telephones. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Bruce,
Björn, Gareth, and Pete.

> * C. Our Feathered Friends

> In each case we'll give you a bird name with a word missing;
> you fill it in. Each answer refers to a body part.

> C1. Rose-____ grosbeak

Breasted. 4 for Bruce and Marc.

> C2. Red-____ hawk

Tailed. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Bruce, Marc, Gareth, and Pete.

> C3. Yellow-____ sapsucker

Bellied. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Bruce, Marc, and Pete.
3 for Calvin.

> * D. Scat (and yes, we do mean poop)

> If you go down to the woods today, you're sure of a big surprise.
> For those who loved the flatulence round in Game 1 this season
> (but especially for those who didn't), tonight we'll go to the
> seat of the matter with these questions on scat.

> We'll show you four pictures each of the droppings of a wild
> animal species, and you name the animal. You don't have to be
> very specific: if we showed you rat droppings (and we won't)
> you wouldn't have to say "Norway rat", for example. Tip: The
> appearance of the poop may change depending on what the animal
> was eating the day before.

> D1. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/scat/d1.jpg
> One picture has an American penny for scale, and another
> has a Canadian toonie.

Deer. 4 for Dan Blum and Bruce.

The toonie, of course, has been described as showing "the Queen
with a bear behind", punning on "bare behind"; but in this case
its presence was not a hint.

> D2. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/scat/d2.jpg
> There are scales in inches and centimeters.

Bear. 4 for Bruce, Marc, and Pete.

> D3. See: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-8/scat/d3.jpg
> One picture has a US penny.

Raccoon. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, and Marc.

At the original game, the player who answered this one commented
that he'd learned it from his own porch.

> * E. Strange Eating Disorders

> E1. Xylophagia is an eating disorder revolving around the
> consumption of a certain substance or its related products.
> The condition is mostly seen in children. Name the
> substance.

Wood. 4 for Dan Blum and Marc. 3 for Joshua. 2 for Calvin.

> E2. Anthropophagy, a form of which is autosarcophagy, refers
> to the eating of what?

Human flesh. (Autosarcophagy refers to eating one's own.) 4 for
Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Bruce, Peter, and Gareth. 3 for Marc.

> E3. Trichophagia is the compulsive desire to eat what?
> The substance in question does not provide any nutrition,
> but can remain in your stomach for months or even years.

Hair. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, Peter, Marc, and Calvin.

> * F. Oxides

> F1. Corundum is an oxide of what element?

Aluminum. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Bruce, Marc, and Gar[i]eth.

> F2. Magnetite is an oxide of what element?

Iron. (As in "magnet", y'know?) 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque,
Dan Blum, Bruce, Peter, Marc, and Gareth.

> F3. Quicklime is an oxide of what element?

Calcium. 4 for Erland, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Bruce, Peter, Marc,
Gareth, and Calvin.

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Geo Mis Spo His Sci FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 44 48 48 12 40 27 180
Gareth Owen 44 -- 46 36 24 44 170
Dan Tilque 16 56 20 28 36 40 160
Marc Dashevsky 48 24 32 16 16 55 159
Dan Blum 36 30 36 28 24 56 158
Pete Gayde 43 34 16 23 23 28 128
Peter Smyth -- 30 12 24 20 32 106
Erland Sommarskog -- 40 -- 8 19 16 83
Bruce Bowler -- -- -- -- -- 68 68
Björn Lundin 4 20 4 4 4 16 44
"Calvin" -- -- -- -- 27 13 40
Jason Kreitzer 28 -- 12 -- -- -- 40

--
Mark Brader | Obviously an off by 1 error somewhere. You know
Toronto | the kind, where you intend to put something simple