Calvin's Quiz #453

Calvin

Aug 18, 2016, 9:08:03 PM8/18/16
1 Despite being only 26.6 seconds in length it is probably the most scrutinised piece of film of all time. What did Abraham Zapruder famously record?
2 Which (fictional) race of extra-terrestrial mutants hails from the planet Skaro?
3 Which 1983 musical romantic comedy did Barbra Streisand direct, co-write, co- produce and star in?
4 Marlee Matlin won a best actress Oscar for her role in which 1986 film?
5 Which American newspaper is sometimes known as the "old gray lady"?
6 In what modern day country is Mount Ararat located?
7 Which mathematical symbol was invented by Robert Record in the mid-16th century?
8 Which six-letter word can mean a cross between a beagle and a pug, or a baby echidna or platypus?
9 A hoplite was a soldier in which ancient civilisation?
10 What is the three-word title of the 1957 book by Vance Packard which demystified the deliberately mysterious arts of advertising?

cheers,
calvin

Chris F.A. Johnson

Aug 18, 2016, 11:08:03 PM8/18/16
On 2016-08-19, Calvin wrote:
> 1 Despite being only 26.6 seconds in length it is probably the most scrutinised piece of film of all time. What did Abraham Zapruder famously record?

Assassination of JFK

> 2 Which (fictional) race of extra-terrestrial mutants hails from the planet Skaro?
> 3 Which 1983 musical romantic comedy did Barbra Streisand direct, co-write, co- produce and star in?

Yentl

> 4 Marlee Matlin won a best actress Oscar for her role in which 1986 film?

Children of a Lesser God

> 5 Which American newspaper is sometimes known as the "old gray lady"?

New York Times

> 6 In what modern day country is Mount Ararat located?

Turkey

=

> 8 Which six-letter word can mean a cross between a beagle and a pug, or a baby echidna or platypus?

puggle

> 9 A hoplite was a soldier in which ancient civilisation?

Greece

> 10 What is the three-word title of the 1957 book by Vance Packard which demystified the deliberately mysterious arts of advertising?

The Hidden Persuaders

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Dan Tilque

Aug 18, 2016, 11:33:13 PM8/18/16
Calvin wrote:
> 1 Despite being only 26.6 seconds in length it is probably the most scrutinised piece of film of all time. What did Abraham Zapruder famously record?

some unknown person on a grassy knoll shooting someone

> 2 Which (fictional) race of extra-terrestrial mutants hails from the planet Skaro?
> 3 Which 1983 musical romantic comedy did Barbra Streisand direct, co-write, co- produce and star in?
> 4 Marlee Matlin won a best actress Oscar for her role in which 1986 film?
> 5 Which American newspaper is sometimes known as the "old gray lady"?

New York Times

> 6 In what modern day country is Mount Ararat located?

Turkey

> 7 Which mathematical symbol was invented by Robert Record in the mid-16th century?

equal sign

> 8 Which six-letter word can mean a cross between a beagle and a pug, or a baby echidna or platypus?

hybrid ??

> 9 A hoplite was a soldier in which ancient civilisation?

Greek

> 10 What is the three-word title of the 1957 book by Vance Packard which demystified the deliberately mysterious arts of advertising?

--
Dan Tilque

swp

Aug 19, 2016, 12:35:43 AM8/19/16
On Thursday, August 18, 2016 at 9:08:03 PM UTC-4, Calvin wrote:
> 1 Despite being only 26.6 seconds in length it is probably the most scrutinised piece of film of all time. What did Abraham Zapruder famously record?

president kennedy's assassination

> 2 Which (fictional) race of extra-terrestrial mutants hails from the planet Skaro?

the kaleds (they later were made into the Daleks by Davros) *EXTERMINATE!!

> 3 Which 1983 musical romantic comedy did Barbra Streisand direct, co-write, co- produce and star in?

yentl

> 4 Marlee Matlin won a best actress Oscar for her role in which 1986 film?

children of a lesser god

> 5 Which American newspaper is sometimes known as the "old gray lady"?

the wall street journal

> 6 In what modern day country is Mount Ararat located?

turkey

> 7 Which mathematical symbol was invented by Robert Record in the mid-16th century?

equals ("=")

> 8 Which six-letter word can mean a cross between a beagle and a pug, or a baby echidna or platypus?

puggle

> 9 A hoplite was a soldier in which ancient civilisation?

greek

> 10 What is the three-word title of the 1957 book by Vance Packard which demystified the deliberately mysterious arts of advertising?

the hidden persuaders (see also dr caildini's book 'influence')

swp

Mark Brader

Aug 19, 2016, 1:24:44 AM8/19/16
"Calvin":
> 1 Despite being only 26.6 seconds in length it is probably the most
> scrutinised piece of film of all time. What did Abraham Zapruder
> famously record?

US president Kennedy being struck by gunshots.

> 2 Which (fictional) race of extra-terrestrial mutants hails from
> the planet Skaro?

Daleks?

> 3 Which 1983 musical romantic comedy did Barbra Streisand direct,
> co-write, co- produce and star in?

"Yentl"?

> 4 Marlee Matlin won a best actress Oscar for her role in which 1986 film?

"Children of a Lesser God".

> 5 Which American newspaper is sometimes known as the "old gray lady"?

I'm not aware of one. The "gray lady", however, is the New York Times.

> 6 In what modern day country is Mount Ararat located?

Turkey.

> 7 Which mathematical symbol was invented by Robert Record in the
> mid-16th century?

"=". Actually it was variable in length, and made up of multiple pieces
of type each resembling our modern "=" sign (presumably they were designed
as a variant form of a hyphen), so it tended to look more like "======".

"Recorde" is the spelling I normally see, though names didn't really have
fixed spellings back then.

> 8 Which six-letter word can mean a cross between a beagle and a
> pug, or a baby echidna or platypus?

Buggle?

> 9 A hoplite was a soldier in which ancient civilisation?

Greece.

> 10 What is the three-word title of the 1957 book by Vance Packard
> which demystified the deliberately mysterious arts of advertising?

"Win Free Sex"? No, wait, that's the phrase claimed in Vernor
Vinge's science-fiction novel "Steel Beach" to be the ideal
tabloid-type newspaper headline. Sadly, I have no idea of the
actual answer. I'll try "Save Money Now".
--
Mark Brader | "Whose tracks these are I think I know;
Toronto | The railroad has gone bankrupt, though..."

Gareth Owen

Aug 19, 2016, 2:14:20 AM8/19/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 Despite being only 26.6 seconds in length it is probably the most
> scrutinised piece of film of all time. What did Abraham Zapruder
> famously record?

The Kennedy Assassination (JFK edition)

> 2 Which (fictional) race of extra-terrestrial mutants hails from the
> planet Skaro?

Daleks

> 3 Which 1983 musical romantic comedy did Barbra Streisand direct,
> co-write, co- produce and star in?

Yentl (sp?)

> 4 Marlee Matlin won a best actress Oscar for her role in which 1986
> film?

Children of a Lesser God

> 5 Which American newspaper is sometimes known as the "old gray lady"?

New York Times

> 6 In what modern day country is Mount Ararat located?

Syria?

=

> 8 Which six-letter word can mean a cross between a beagle and a pug,
> or a baby echidna or platypus?

Peagle?

> 9 A hoplite was a soldier in which ancient civilisation?

Greek

> 10 What is the three-word title of the 1957 book by Vance Packard
> which demystified the deliberately mysterious arts of advertising?

Nope

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 19, 2016, 3:46:19 AM8/19/16
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 2 Which (fictional) race of extra-terrestrial mutants hails from the
> planet Skaro?

Skaronians

> 5 Which American newspaper is sometimes known as the "old gray lady"?

New York Times

> 6 In what modern day country is Mount Ararat located?

Armenia

> 7 Which mathematical symbol was invented by Robert Record in the
> mid-16th century?

Infinity

Peter Smyth

Aug 19, 2016, 1:35:07 PM8/19/16

> 1 Despite being only 26.6 seconds in length it is probably the most
> scrutinised piece of film of all time. What did Abraham Zapruder
> famously record?
Kennedy assasination
> 2 Which (fictional) race of extra-terrestrial mutants hails from the
> planet Skaro?
Klingons
> 3 Which 1983 musical romantic comedy did Barbra Streisand direct,
> co-write, co- produce and star in?
>
> 4 Marlee Matlin won a best actress Oscar for her role in which 1986
> film?
>
> 5 Which American newspaper is sometimes known as the "old gray lady"?
Wall Street Journal
> 6 In what modern day country is Mount Ararat located?
Jordan
> 7 Which mathematical symbol was invented by Robert Record in the
> mid-16th century?
Equals (=)
> 8 Which six-letter word can mean a cross between a beagle and a pug,
> or a baby echidna or platypus?
Never seen a cross between a beagle and a platypus before!
> 9 A hoplite was a soldier in which ancient civilisation?
>
> 10 What is the three-word title of the 1957 book by Vance Packard
> which demystified the deliberately mysterious arts of advertising?

Peter Smyth

Marc Dashevsky

Aug 21, 2016, 3:34:49 AM8/21/16
In article <d710e866-6526-4e2b...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 Despite being only 26.6 seconds in length it is probably the most scrutinised piece of film of all time. What did Abraham Zapruder famously record?
assassination of JFK

> 2 Which (fictional) race of extra-terrestrial mutants hails from the planet Skaro?
> 3 Which 1983 musical romantic comedy did Barbra Streisand direct, co-write, co- produce and star in?
> 4 Marlee Matlin won a best actress Oscar for her role in which 1986 film?
Children Of A Lesser God

> 5 Which American newspaper is sometimes known as the "old gray lady"?
New York Times

> 6 In what modern day country is Mount Ararat located?
Turkey

> 7 Which mathematical symbol was invented by Robert Record in the mid-16th century?
> 8 Which six-letter word can mean a cross between a beagle and a pug, or a baby echidna or platypus?
> 9 A hoplite was a soldier in which ancient civilisation?
> 10 What is the three-word title of the 1957 book by Vance Packard which demystified the deliberately mysterious arts of advertising?
>
> cheers,
> calvin

Pete

Aug 21, 2016, 1:27:37 PM8/21/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Despite being only 26.6 seconds in length it is probably the
> most scrutinised piece of film of all time. What did Abraham Zapruder
> famously record?

Assassination of John Kennedy

> 2 Which (fictional) race of extra-terrestrial
> mutants hails from the planet Skaro?

Daleks

> 3 Which 1983 musical romantic
> comedy did Barbra Streisand direct, co-write, co- produce and star in?

Yentl

> 4 Marlee Matlin won a best actress Oscar for her role in which
> 1986 film?

Children of a Lesser God

> 5 Which American newspaper is sometimes known as the
> "old gray lady"?

New York Times

> 6 In what modern day country is Mount Ararat located?

Turkey

> 7 Which mathematical symbol was invented by Robert Record
> in the mid-16th century?

Infinity

> 8 Which six-letter word can mean a cross
> between a beagle and a pug, or a baby echidna or platypus?
> 9 A hoplite was a soldier in which ancient civilisation?

Persia

> 10 What is
> the three-word title of the 1957 book by Vance Packard which
> demystified the deliberately mysterious arts of advertising?

The Peter Principle

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Calvin

Aug 24, 2016, 1:50:31 AM8/24/16
On Friday, August 19, 2016 at 11:08:03 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Despite being only 26.6 seconds in length it is probably the most scrutinised piece of film of all time. What did Abraham Zapruder famously record?

JFK assassination

> 2 Which (fictional) race of extra-terrestrial mutants hails from the planet Skaro?

Daleks

> 3 Which 1983 musical romantic comedy did Barbra Streisand direct, co-write, co- produce and star in?

Yentl

> 4 Marlee Matlin won a best actress Oscar for her role in which 1986 film?

Children of a Lesser God

> 5 Which American newspaper is sometimes known as the "old gray lady"?

New York Times

> 6 In what modern day country is Mount Ararat located?

Turkey

> 7 Which mathematical symbol was invented by Robert Record in the mid-16th century?

Equals / =

> 8 Which six-letter word can mean a cross between a beagle and a pug, or a baby echidna or platypus?

Puggly

> 9 A hoplite was a soldier in which ancient civilisation?

Greek

> 10 What is the three-word title of the 1957 book by Vance Packard which demystified the deliberately mysterious arts of advertising?

The Hidden Persuaders

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 453
1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 9 44 Stephen Perry
1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 47 Chris Johnson
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 8 47 Mark Brader
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 7 41 Gareth Owen
1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 6 36 Pete Gayde
1 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 5 32 Dan Tilque
1 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 4 27 Marc Dashevsky
1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 2 14 Peter Smyth
0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 7 Erland S
8 4 5 6 7 6 6 2 5 2 51 57%

Congratulations Stephen who just pips Chris. It's a very unusual score distribution for some reason.

cheers,
calvin