QFTCI16 Game 3, Rounds 4,6: airplanes and tea

Mark Brader

Jul 10, 2016, 5:34:50 PM7/10/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-05,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 3, Round 4 - Science - Airplane Recognition

This is a bonus round.

Please see the handout

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3-4/air.pdf

which shows 3 pages of airplanes. On each question we will name
two airplanes with similar characteristics, and both of them will
be on the same page of the handout.

In this medium, I'll adjust the round to work as follows. On every
answer you should give *two* photo numbers, starting with the one
you are more confident of, *and say* which of the two planes you
think is which, preferably in this style:

#34 (Chrysler), #38 (Studebaker)

Unlike the usual QFTCI rule, you'll only get *one try* to give
the two numbers.

* If you get everything correct, you get 6 points.

* If you get both picture numbers right, but interchange which
plane is which, that's 4 points.

* If only one picture number that you give is right, you get
2, 3, or 4 points depending, in the obvious way, on whether it
was the first or second one and whether or not you correctly
said which plane it is.

1. For the first few questions we'll give you the page number;
after that you're on your own. So please start with page 3,
and pick out the Boeing 707 and the Douglas DC-8.

2. On page 1, pick out the Boeing 747 and the Airbus A380.

3. On page 2, find the Lockheed Constellation and the Douglas DC-7.

4. Back to page 1; find the Hawker-Siddeley Trident (or HS-121)
and the Boeing 727.

5. Look at page 3, and pick out the Gulfstream G400 and the
Learjet 35.

6. On page 2, find the Boeing 247 and the Douglas DC-3.

7. We've now eliminated 10 pictures, so from here on you have to
find the right page yourself; but in every case both planes
will still be on the same page. So find the correct page with
two De Havilland Comet models, and pick out the Comet 1 and
the Comet 4.

8. Now find the Lockheed L-1011, also called the TriStar, and the
Douglas DC-10, on the same page as each other.

9. Find the Bombardier CRJ (which was previously called the Canadair
CRJ), and, on the same page, the Embraer ERJ-145.

10. Pick out the Airbus A320 and, on the same page, the Boeing 737.

So there were 7 decoys, listed here in alphabetical order.
If you like, decode the rot13 to see what they are and identify
the pictures for fun, but for no points.

11. Nveohf N-guerr-sbegl.
12. Pncryvf KP-gjryir (n erny cynar gung arire ragrerq freivpr).
13. Pbapbeqr.
14. Sbeq Gevzbgbe.
15. Ybpxurrq Ryrpgen.
16. Ervaqrre (n svpgvbany cynar).
17. Ghcbyri Gh-bar-sbegl-sbhe.

* Game 3, Round 6 - Science - Tea

This round pertains to tea in both its true and herbal varieties.

1. Tea is usually classified according to the level of a certain
aspect of the processing that the tea leaves have undergone.
The level of what?

2. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with
question #1. Oynpx grn unf orra pbzcyrgryl bkvqvmrq; terra grn
naq fbzr bguref haqretb yvggyr be ab bkvqngvba. Va orgjrra gurz
vf *juvpu pynff bs grn* jvgu na vagrezrqvngr yriry bs bkvqngvba?

3. The grade of a particular batch of tea leaves refers to its
quality and condition. What is the two-word industry term for
the highest grade, an expression also used in North America to
refer generically to black tea?

4. The teabag was invented in the early 1900s, but did not become
an important part of industrial tea production until the 1950s.
In 1996, what innovation on the teabag concept was introduced
by Lipton and PG Tips, in order to improve brewing efficiency?
The Tetley company disputed the claim of superiority, but in
2014 the British Advertising Standards Agency rejected thair
complaint. Name the innovation.

5. Which British author wrote a 1946 essay titled "A Nice Cup of
Tea" that presented eleven rules for tea-making that he
considered "golden"? Among them was that the tea must be poured
first, not the milk. Name the author.

6. Oil of bergamot -- which, by the way, is a type of orange -- is
the distinctive ingredient of what variety of tea? Apparently it
will still be drunk in the 24th century -- hot.

7. What synonym for "herbal tea" comes from a Greek word referring
to a drink made from pearl barley? The same word is used in
French and Italian.

8. Which popular herbal tea, scientific name "Aspalathus linearis",
is native to South Africa, and grown particularly in the Western
Cape there?

9. Which fruit of a common flower is often mixed with hibiscus to
make a herbal tea?

10. Traditionally this tea has been drunk to induce abortions and
to stimulate menstrual flow, despite -- or perhaps because
of -- its known toxicity. Kurt Cobain wrote a song about it,
saying that it would "distill the life that's inside of me".
Fittingly, the song with the same name as the tea appeared on
Nirvana's album "In Utero". Name it.

--
Mark Brader | "Sir, your composure baffles me. A single counterexample
Toronto | refutes a conjecture as effectively as ten... Hands up!

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 10, 2016, 6:22:29 PM7/10/16
Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 6. Oil of bergamot -- which, by the way, is a type of orange -- is
> the distinctive ingredient of what variety of tea? Apparently it
> will still be drunk in the 24th century -- hot.

Earl Grey

swp

Jul 10, 2016, 7:42:52 PM7/10/16
On Sunday, July 10, 2016 at 5:34:50 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-05,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

strange things are afoot at the circle-k

> I wrote one of these rounds.

airplanes?

#19 (707) and #23 (dc-8)

#9 (747) and # #2 (a380)

#16 (constellation) and #10 (dc-7)

#6 (hs-121) and #5 (727)

#26 (g400) and #25 (learjet 35)

#11 (247) and #18 (dc-3)

#22 (comet 1) and #24 (comet 4)

#8 (l-1011) and #1 (dc-10)

#17 (bombardier crj) and #13 (embraer erj-145)

#21 (a320) and #27 (737)

> So there were 7 decoys, listed here in alphabetical order.
> If you like, decode the rot13 to see what they are and identify
> the pictures for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Airbus A-three-forty.
> 12. Capelis XC-twelve (a real plane that never entered service).
> 13. Concorde.
> 14. Ford Trimotor.
> 15. Lockheed Electra.
> 16. Reindeer (a fictional plane).
> 17. Tupolev Tu-one-forty-four.
>

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Science - Tea
>
> This round pertains to tea in both its true and herbal varieties.
>
> 1. Tea is usually classified according to the level of a certain
> aspect of the processing that the tea leaves have undergone.
> The level of what?

oxidation

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with
> question #1. Black tea has been completely oxidized; green tea
> and some others undergo little or no oxidation. In between them
> is *which class of tea* with an intermediate level of oxidation?

oolong

> 3. The grade of a particular batch of tea leaves refers to its
> quality and condition. What is the two-word industry term for
> the highest grade, an expression also used in North America to
> refer generically to black tea?

orange pekoe

> 4. The teabag was invented in the early 1900s, but did not become
> an important part of industrial tea production until the 1950s.
> In 1996, what innovation on the teabag concept was introduced
> by Lipton and PG Tips, in order to improve brewing efficiency?
> The Tetley company disputed the claim of superiority, but in
> 2014 the British Advertising Standards Agency rejected thair
> complaint. Name the innovation.

tetrahedron-shaped tea bags (thair? is that because of the previous round?)

> 5. Which British author wrote a 1946 essay titled "A Nice Cup of
> Tea" that presented eleven rules for tea-making that he
> considered "golden"? Among them was that the tea must be poured
> first, not the milk. Name the author.

george orwell

> 6. Oil of bergamot -- which, by the way, is a type of orange -- is
> the distinctive ingredient of what variety of tea? Apparently it
> will still be drunk in the 24th century -- hot.

earl grey (thanks for the star trek reference)

> 7. What synonym for "herbal tea" comes from a Greek word referring
> to a drink made from pearl barley? The same word is used in
> French and Italian.

tisane?

> 8. Which popular herbal tea, scientific name "Aspalathus linearis",
> is native to South Africa, and grown particularly in the Western
> Cape there?

red rooibos?

> 9. Which fruit of a common flower is often mixed with hibiscus to
> make a herbal tea?

roselle?

> 10. Traditionally this tea has been drunk to induce abortions and
> to stimulate menstrual flow, despite -- or perhaps because
> of -- its known toxicity. Kurt Cobain wrote a song about it,
> saying that it would "distill the life that's inside of me".
> Fittingly, the song with the same name as the tea appeared on
> Nirvana's album "In Utero". Name it.

pennyroyal tea

swp

Dan Blum

Jul 11, 2016, 12:08:59 AM7/11/16

#24 (Boeing), #22 (Douglas)

#9 (Boeing), #2 (Airbus)

#16 (Lockheed), #10 (Douglas)

#6 (Trident), #8 (Boeing)

#25 (Gulfstream), #26 (Learjet)

#18 (Boeing), #11 (Douglas)

#15 (Comet 4), #12 (Comet 1)

#23 (Douglas), #19 (Lockheed)

#13 (Bombardier), #17 (Embraer)

#27 (Boeing), #21 (Airbus)

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Science - Tea

> This round pertains to tea in both its true and herbal varieties.

> 1. Tea is usually classified according to the level of a certain
> aspect of the processing that the tea leaves have undergone.
> The level of what?

drying; fermenting

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with
> question #1. Oynpx grn unf orra pbzcyrgryl bkvqvmrq; terra grn
> naq fbzr bguref haqretb yvggyr be ab bkvqngvba. Va orgjrra gurz
> vf *juvpu pynff bs grn* jvgu na vagrezrqvngr yriry bs bkvqngvba?

white tea

> 5. Which British author wrote a 1946 essay titled "A Nice Cup of
> Tea" that presented eleven rules for tea-making that he
> considered "golden"? Among them was that the tea must be poured
> first, not the milk. Name the author.

HG Wells; George Orwell

> 6. Oil of bergamot -- which, by the way, is a type of orange -- is
> the distinctive ingredient of what variety of tea? Apparently it
> will still be drunk in the 24th century -- hot.

Earl Gray

> 7. What synonym for "herbal tea" comes from a Greek word referring
> to a drink made from pearl barley? The same word is used in
> French and Italian.

tisane

> 8. Which popular herbal tea, scientific name "Aspalathus linearis",
> is native to South Africa, and grown particularly in the Western
> Cape there?

rooibos

> 9. Which fruit of a common flower is often mixed with hibiscus to
> make a herbal tea?

rose hips

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

bbowler

Jul 11, 2016, 11:12:16 AM7/11/16
21 (707), 19 (dc8)

> 2. On page 1, pick out the Boeing 747 and the Airbus A380.

9 (747), 2 (airbus)

> 3. On page 2, find the Lockheed Constellation and the Douglas DC-7.

11 (lockheed), 18 (dc7)

> 4. Back to page 1; find the Hawker-Siddeley Trident (or HS-121)
> and the Boeing 727.

3 (trident), 5 (727)

> 5. Look at page 3, and pick out the Gulfstream G400 and the
> Learjet 35.

25 (gulfstream) 26 (lear)

> 6. On page 2, find the Boeing 247 and the Douglas DC-3.

16 (247), 11 (dc3)
Earl Grey

Marc Dashevsky

Jul 11, 2016, 11:29:48 AM7/11/16
In article <YZydnf1_dbvoIh_K...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...

#19 (Boeing), #23 (Douglas)

#9 (Boeing), #2 (Airbus)

#16 (Lockheed), #10 (Douglas)

#3 (Boeing), #6 (Hawker)

#26 (Gulfstream), #25 (Lear)

#18 (Douglas), #11 (Boeing)

#8 (Lockheed), #6 (Douglas)

#13 (Bombardier), #17 (Embraer)

#21 (Boeing), #27 (Airbus)

> So there were 7 decoys, listed here in alphabetical order.
> If you like, decode the rot13 to see what they are and identify
> the pictures for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Nveohf N-guerr-sbegl.
> 12. Pncryvf KP-gjryir (n erny cynar gung arire ragrerq freivpr).
> 13. Pbapbeqr.
> 14. Sbeq Gevzbgbe.
> 15. Ybpxurrq Ryrpgen.
> 16. Ervaqrre (n svpgvbany cynar).
> 17. Ghcbyri Gh-bar-sbegl-sbhe.
>

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Science - Tea
>
> This round pertains to tea in both its true and herbal varieties.
>
> 1. Tea is usually classified according to the level of a certain
> aspect of the processing that the tea leaves have undergone.
> The level of what?
>
> 2. Black tea has been completely oxidized; green tea and some
> others undergo little or no oxidation. In between them is
> *which class of tea* with an intermediate level of oxidation?
white tea

> 3. The grade of a particular batch of tea leaves refers to its
> quality and condition. What is the two-word industry term for
> the highest grade, an expression also used in North America to
> refer generically to black tea?
black pekoe

> 4. The teabag was invented in the early 1900s, but did not become
> an important part of industrial tea production until the 1950s.
> In 1996, what innovation on the teabag concept was introduced
> by Lipton and PG Tips, in order to improve brewing efficiency?
> The Tetley company disputed the claim of superiority, but in
> 2014 the British Advertising Standards Agency rejected thair
> complaint. Name the innovation.
flow-thru teabag

> 5. Which British author wrote a 1946 essay titled "A Nice Cup of
> Tea" that presented eleven rules for tea-making that he
> considered "golden"? Among them was that the tea must be poured
> first, not the milk. Name the author.
>
> 6. Oil of bergamot -- which, by the way, is a type of orange -- is
> the distinctive ingredient of what variety of tea? Apparently it
> will still be drunk in the 24th century -- hot.
Earl Grey

> 7. What synonym for "herbal tea" comes from a Greek word referring
> to a drink made from pearl barley? The same word is used in
> French and Italian.
>
> 8. Which popular herbal tea, scientific name "Aspalathus linearis",
> is native to South Africa, and grown particularly in the Western
> Cape there?
>
> 9. Which fruit of a common flower is often mixed with hibiscus to
> make a herbal tea?
rose hip

> 10. Traditionally this tea has been drunk to induce abortions and
> to stimulate menstrual flow, despite -- or perhaps because
> of -- its known toxicity. Kurt Cobain wrote a song about it,
> saying that it would "distill the life that's inside of me".
> Fittingly, the song with the same name as the tea appeared on
> Nirvana's album "In Utero". Name it.

Björn Lundin

Jul 11, 2016, 1:10:44 PM7/11/16
#9 Boeing, #2 Airbus

#26 G400, #25 Learjet

#11 Comet 4 , #15 Comet 1

#1 Airbus, #3 Boeing

> So there were 7 decoys, listed here in alphabetical order.
> If you like, decode the rot13 to see what they are and identify
> the pictures for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Nveohf N-guerr-sbegl.
> 12. Pncryvf KP-gjryir (n erny cynar gung arire ragrerq freivpr).
> 13. Pbapbeqr.
> 14. Sbeq Gevzbgbe.
> 15. Ybpxurrq Ryrpgen.
> 16. Ervaqrre (n svpgvbany cynar).
> 17. Ghcbyri Gh-bar-sbegl-sbhe.
>

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Science - Tea
>
> This round pertains to tea in both its true and herbal varieties.
>
> 1. Tea is usually classified according to the level of a certain
> aspect of the processing that the tea leaves have undergone.
> The level of what?

drying of leaves ?

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with
> question #1. Oynpx grn unf orra pbzcyrgryl bkvqvmrq; terra grn
> naq fbzr bguref haqretb yvggyr be ab bkvqngvba. Va orgjrra gurz
> vf *juvpu pynff bs grn* jvgu na vagrezrqvngr yriry bs bkvqngvba?

red teas

> 3. The grade of a particular batch of tea leaves refers to its
> quality and condition. What is the two-word industry term for
> the highest grade, an expression also used in North America to
> refer generically to black tea?

> 4. The teabag was invented in the early 1900s, but did not become
> an important part of industrial tea production until the 1950s.
> In 1996, what innovation on the teabag concept was introduced
> by Lipton and PG Tips, in order to improve brewing efficiency?
> The Tetley company disputed the claim of superiority, but in
> 2014 the British Advertising Standards Agency rejected thair
> complaint. Name the innovation.
>
> 5. Which British author wrote a 1946 essay titled "A Nice Cup of
> Tea" that presented eleven rules for tea-making that he
> considered "golden"? Among them was that the tea must be poured
> first, not the milk. Name the author.
>
> 6. Oil of bergamot -- which, by the way, is a type of orange -- is
> the distinctive ingredient of what variety of tea? Apparently it
> will still be drunk in the 24th century -- hot.

Darjeling

> 7. What synonym for "herbal tea" comes from a Greek word referring
> to a drink made from pearl barley? The same word is used in
> French and Italian.
>
> 8. Which popular herbal tea, scientific name "Aspalathus linearis",
> is native to South Africa, and grown particularly in the Western
> Cape there?
>
> 9. Which fruit of a common flower is often mixed with hibiscus to
> make a herbal tea?
>
> 10. Traditionally this tea has been drunk to induce abortions and
> to stimulate menstrual flow, despite -- or perhaps because
> of -- its known toxicity. Kurt Cobain wrote a song about it,
> saying that it would "distill the life that's inside of me".
> Fittingly, the song with the same name as the tea appeared on
> Nirvana's album "In Utero". Name it.

Björn

Peter Smyth

Jul 11, 2016, 1:28:13 PM7/11/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Science - Tea
>
> This round pertains to tea in both its true and herbal varieties.
>
> 1. Tea is usually classified according to the level of a certain
> aspect of the processing that the tea leaves have undergone.
> The level of what?
Tannins
> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with
> question #1. Black tea has been completely oxidized; green tea
> and some others undergo little or no oxidation. In between them
> is *which class of tea* with an intermediate level of oxidation?
Brown tea
> 3. The grade of a particular batch of tea leaves refers to its
> quality and condition. What is the two-word industry term for
> the highest grade, an expression also used in North America to
> refer generically to black tea?
>
> 4. The teabag was invented in the early 1900s, but did not become
> an important part of industrial tea production until the 1950s.
> In 1996, what innovation on the teabag concept was introduced
> by Lipton and PG Tips, in order to improve brewing efficiency?
> The Tetley company disputed the claim of superiority, but in
> 2014 the British Advertising Standards Agency rejected thair
> complaint. Name the innovation.
Pyramid teabags
> 5. Which British author wrote a 1946 essay titled "A Nice Cup of
> Tea" that presented eleven rules for tea-making that he
> considered "golden"? Among them was that the tea must be poured
> first, not the milk. Name the author.
Winston Churchill
> 6. Oil of bergamot -- which, by the way, is a type of orange -- is
> the distinctive ingredient of what variety of tea? Apparently it
> will still be drunk in the 24th century -- hot.
Earl Grey
> 7. What synonym for "herbal tea" comes from a Greek word referring
> to a drink made from pearl barley? The same word is used in
> French and Italian.
>
> 8. Which popular herbal tea, scientific name "Aspalathus linearis",
> is native to South Africa, and grown particularly in the Western
> Cape there?
>
> 9. Which fruit of a common flower is often mixed with hibiscus to
> make a herbal tea?
>
> 10. Traditionally this tea has been drunk to induce abortions and
> to stimulate menstrual flow, despite -- or perhaps because
> of -- its known toxicity. Kurt Cobain wrote a song about it,
> saying that it would "distill the life that's inside of me".
> Fittingly, the song with the same name as the tea appeared on
> Nirvana's album "In Utero". Name it.

Peter Smyth

Joshua Kreitzer

Jul 11, 2016, 4:14:03 PM7/11/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:YZydnf1_dbvoIh_KnZ2dnUU7-
SPN...@giganews.com:

#21 (Boeing 707), #27 (Douglas DC-8)

#8 (Boeing 747), #9 (Airbus A380)

#10 (Lockheed Constellation), #13 (Douglas DC-7)

#6 (HS-121), #1 (Boeing 727)

#25 (Gulfstream G400), #26 (Learjet 35)

#11 (Boeing 247), #18 (Douglas DC-3)

#10 (Comet 1), #16 (Comet 4)

#5 (Lockheed L-1011), #2 (Douglas DC-10)

#21 (Bombardier CRJ), #27 (Embraer ERJ-145)

#9 (Airbus A320), #3 (Boeing 737)

#7 (finally one I recognized)

#4 (another one I can be sure of)

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Science - Tea
>
> This round pertains to tea in both its true and herbal varieties.

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with
> question #1. Oynpx grn unf orra pbzcyrgryl bkvqvmrq; terra grn
> naq fbzr bguref haqretb yvggyr be ab bkvqngvba. Va orgjrra gurz
> vf *juvpu pynff bs grn* jvgu na vagrezrqvngr yriry bs bkvqngvba?

white tea

> 5. Which British author wrote a 1946 essay titled "A Nice Cup of
> Tea" that presented eleven rules for tea-making that he
> considered "golden"? Among them was that the tea must be poured
> first, not the milk. Name the author.

George Orwell

> 6. Oil of bergamot -- which, by the way, is a type of orange -- is
> the distinctive ingredient of what variety of tea? Apparently it
> will still be drunk in the 24th century -- hot.

Earl Grey

> 8. Which popular herbal tea, scientific name "Aspalathus linearis",
> is native to South Africa, and grown particularly in the Western
> Cape there?

rooibos

> 10. Traditionally this tea has been drunk to induce abortions and
> to stimulate menstrual flow, despite -- or perhaps because
> of -- its known toxicity. Kurt Cobain wrote a song about it,
> saying that it would "distill the life that's inside of me".
> Fittingly, the song with the same name as the tea appeared on
> Nirvana's album "In Utero". Name it.

pennyroyal tea

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Pete

Jul 12, 2016, 1:25:49 AM7/12/16

#22 (Douglas), #19 (Boeing)

#9 (Boeing), #2 (Airbus)

#18 (Douglas), #15 (Lockheed)

#6 (Boeing), #4 (Hawker-Siddeley)

#20 (Gulfstream), #25 (Learjet)

#18 (Douglas), #10 (Boeing)

2

> 8. Now find the Lockheed L-1011, also called the TriStar, and the
> Douglas DC-10, on the same page as each other.

2

> 9. Find the Bombardier CRJ (which was previously called the Canadair
> CRJ), and, on the same page, the Embraer ERJ-145.

2; 1

> 10. Pick out the Airbus A320 and, on the same page, the Boeing 737.

1; 3

> So there were 7 decoys, listed here in alphabetical order.
> If you like, decode the rot13 to see what they are and identify
> the pictures for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Nveohf N-guerr-sbegl.
> 12. Pncryvf KP-gjryir (n erny cynar gung arire ragrerq freivpr).
> 13. Pbapbeqr.
> 14. Sbeq Gevzbgbe.
> 15. Ybpxurrq Ryrpgen.
> 16. Ervaqrre (n svpgvbany cynar).
> 17. Ghcbyri Gh-bar-sbegl-sbhe.
>

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Science - Tea
>
> This round pertains to tea in both its true and herbal varieties.
>
> 1. Tea is usually classified according to the level of a certain
> aspect of the processing that the tea leaves have undergone.
> The level of what?

Drying

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with
> question #1. Oynpx grn unf orra pbzcyrgryl bkvqvmrq; terra grn
> naq fbzr bguref haqretb yvggyr be ab bkvqngvba. Va orgjrra gurz
> vf *juvpu pynff bs grn* jvgu na vagrezrqvngr yriry bs bkvqngvba?

Orange
Pete Gayde

Dan Tilque

Jul 12, 2016, 5:02:14 AM7/12/16
#9 (747), #2(A380)

#16(Constellation), #10(DC-7)

#6(727), #5(HS-121)

#26(Gulfsteam), #25(Learjet)

#18(Boeing), #11(DC-3)

#12(Comet 1), #15(Comet 4)

#8(L-1011), #1(DC-10)

#22(CRJ), #24(ERJ-145)

#27(A320), #21(737)

> So there were 7 decoys, listed here in alphabetical order.
> If you like, decode the rot13 to see what they are and identify
> the pictures for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Nveohf N-guerr-sbegl.
> 12. Pncryvf KP-gjryir (n erny cynar gung arire ragrerq freivpr).
> 13. Pbapbeqr.
> 14. Sbeq Gevzbgbe.
> 15. Ybpxurrq Ryrpgen.
> 16. Ervaqrre (n svpgvbany cynar).
> 17. Ghcbyri Gh-bar-sbegl-sbhe.
>

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Science - Tea
>
> This round pertains to tea in both its true and herbal varieties.
>
> 1. Tea is usually classified according to the level of a certain
> aspect of the processing that the tea leaves have undergone.
> The level of what?

drying

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with
> question #1. Oynpx grn unf orra pbzcyrgryl bkvqvmrq; terra grn
> naq fbzr bguref haqretb yvggyr be ab bkvqngvba. Va orgjrra gurz
> vf *juvpu pynff bs grn* jvgu na vagrezrqvngr yriry bs bkvqngvba?
>
> 3. The grade of a particular batch of tea leaves refers to its
> quality and condition. What is the two-word industry term for
> the highest grade, an expression also used in North America to
> refer generically to black tea?
>
> 4. The teabag was invented in the early 1900s, but did not become
> an important part of industrial tea production until the 1950s.
> In 1996, what innovation on the teabag concept was introduced
> by Lipton and PG Tips, in order to improve brewing efficiency?
> The Tetley company disputed the claim of superiority, but in
> 2014 the British Advertising Standards Agency rejected thair
> complaint. Name the innovation.

flow-through bags

> 5. Which British author wrote a 1946 essay titled "A Nice Cup of
> Tea" that presented eleven rules for tea-making that he
> considered "golden"? Among them was that the tea must be poured
> first, not the milk. Name the author.
>
> 6. Oil of bergamot -- which, by the way, is a type of orange -- is
> the distinctive ingredient of what variety of tea? Apparently it
> will still be drunk in the 24th century -- hot.
>
> 7. What synonym for "herbal tea" comes from a Greek word referring
> to a drink made from pearl barley? The same word is used in
> French and Italian.
>
> 8. Which popular herbal tea, scientific name "Aspalathus linearis",
> is native to South Africa, and grown particularly in the Western
> Cape there?
>
> 9. Which fruit of a common flower is often mixed with hibiscus to
> make a herbal tea?
>
> 10. Traditionally this tea has been drunk to induce abortions and
> to stimulate menstrual flow, despite -- or perhaps because
> of -- its known toxicity. Kurt Cobain wrote a song about it,
> saying that it would "distill the life that's inside of me".
> Fittingly, the song with the same name as the tea appeared on
> Nirvana's album "In Utero". Name it.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Jul 13, 2016, 5:01:09 PM7/13/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-06-05,
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I wrote one of these rounds.

Yes, that was the airplane round. Only a few players were able to
collect bonus points, which in the original game had to be scored by
the individual and not the team; but even ignoring the bonus points,
it was still the easiest round in the original game.

#19 (707), #23 (DC-8). 6 for Stephen and Marc. 3 for Pete.
2 for Bruce.

(For anyone interested in how they could have known: both are
single-deck airplanes with 4 jet engines -- of the older, narrow
type -- mounted under the wings. To tell them apart: the 707 has a
forward-pointing antenna on the tail; the DC-8 has larger windows,
but fewer of them.)

#9 (747), #2 (A380). 6 for Stephen, Dan Blum, Bruce, Marc, Björn,
Pete, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Joshua.

(Both are double-deckers. The 747 has two decks only at the front,
the A380 for its whole length.)

#16 (Constellation), #10 (DC-7). 6 for Stephen, Dan Blum, Marc,
and Dan Tilque. 3 for Joshua.

(Both have 4 propellers. The DC-7 has a conventional tail, the
Constellation a triple tail-fin.)

#6 (Trident), #5 (727). 6 for Stephen and Dan Tilque. 4 for Dan Blum
and Joshua. 3 for Bruce, Marc, and Pete.

(Both have 3 jet engines, all in the tail area. The 727's center
engine intake is not faired into the fuselage; the Trident was
British-made and none were sold to the US.)

#26 (Gulfstream), #25 (Learjet). 6 for Stephen, Marc, Björn,
and Dan Tilque. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, and Joshua. 3 for Pete.

(Both have 2 jet engines in the tail area, and are business jets,
i.e. smaller than modern airliners. The Learjet is smaller, as
indicated by the number of windows; the Gulfstream is one of the
models with winglets.)

#11 (247), #18 (DC-3). 6 for Stephen, Marc, and Joshua. 4 for
Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque. 2 for Bruce.

(Both have 2 propellers. The 247 is smaller, as indicated by the
number of windows; the DC-3 has a slightly swept-back wing.)

#22 (Comet 1), #24 (Comet 4). 6 for Stephen.

(Both have 4 jet engines set into the wing roots. The Comet 1 was
the world's first jet airliner, but the corners of its windows were
a deadly flaw, as they caused metal fatigue that tended to make
the cabin explode during pressurized flight; hence the dominance
of American manufacturers over British in subsequent years; and
also hence the oval windows on the Comet 4, which was also larger,
as the number of windows indicates.)

#8 (L-1011), #1 (DC-10). 6 for Stephen and Dan Tilque. 4 for Marc.

(Both have 3 jet engines, two under the wings and one in the tail
area. The DC-10's rear engine runs straight through the tail;
the L-1011 uses an offset intake like the 727 and Trident.)

#17 (ERJ-145), #13 (CRJ). 6 for Dan Blum and Marc. 4 for Stephen.

(Both have 2 jet engines in the tail area, and are commuter planes,
i.e. larger than the business jets but smaller than other modern
airliners. Air Canada and its affiliates use the CRJ.)

#21 (A320), #27 (737). 6 for Stephen and Dan Blum. 4 for Marc
and Dan Tilque.

(Both have 2 jet engines mounted under the wings, and are larger
than commuter planes. During the era indicated by the color scheme,
Air Canada uses the A320; the flattened bottom of the engine intakes
is characteristic of some models of 737.)

#3.

#12. This plane was seen in the 1939 movie "Five Came Back" and
several others of that period.

#7. Joshua finally got this.

#14.

#20. Amelia Earhart was flying one of these when she disappeared.

#15. From the 1951 movie "No Highway in the Sky".

#4. Joshua got this. This was the Soviet copy of the Concorde.

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Science - Tea

Sorry, that was supposed to be tagged "Miscellaneous". I'll show
it that way in the score table.

> This round pertains to tea in both its true and herbal varieties.

> 1. Tea is usually classified according to the level of a certain
> aspect of the processing that the tea leaves have undergone.
> The level of what?

Oxidation (also accepting fermentation). 4 for Stephen.
2 for Dan Blum.

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with
> question #1. Oynpx grn unf orra pbzcyrgryl bkvqvmrq; terra grn
> naq fbzr bguref haqretb yvggyr be ab bkvqngvba. Va orgjrra gurz
> vf *juvpu pynff bs grn* jvgu na vagrezrqvngr yriry bs bkvqngvba?

Oolong. 4 for Stephen.

> 3. The grade of a particular batch of tea leaves refers to its
> quality and condition. What is the two-word industry term for
> the highest grade, an expression also used in North America to
> refer generically to black tea?

Orange pekoe. 4 for Stephen.

> 4. The teabag was invented in the early 1900s, but did not become
> an important part of industrial tea production until the 1950s.
> In 1996, what innovation on the teabag concept was introduced
> by Lipton and PG Tips, in order to improve brewing efficiency?
> The Tetley company disputed the claim of superiority, but in
> 2014 the British Advertising Standards Agency rejected thair
> complaint. Name the innovation.

Pyramidal (tetrahedral) teabag. (Not the same as the Flo-Thru bag,
which was introduced earlier). 4 for Stephen and Peter.

> 5. Which British author wrote a 1946 essay titled "A Nice Cup of
> Tea" that presented eleven rules for tea-making that he
> considered "golden"? Among them was that the tea must be poured
> first, not the milk. Name the author.

George Orwell. 4 for Stephen and Joshua. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 6. Oil of bergamot -- which, by the way, is a type of orange -- is
> the distinctive ingredient of what variety of tea? Apparently it
> will still be drunk in the 24th century -- hot.

Earl Grey 4 for Erland, Stephen, Dan Blum, Bruce, Marc, Peter,
and Joshua.

(Captain Picard's drink on "Star Trek: The Next Generation".)

> 7. What synonym for "herbal tea" comes from a Greek word referring
> to a drink made from pearl barley? The same word is used in
> French and Italian.

Tisane. 4 for Stephen and Dan Blum.

> 8. Which popular herbal tea, scientific name "Aspalathus linearis",
> is native to South Africa, and grown particularly in the Western
> Cape there?

Rooibos ["ROY-boss"] or red bush tea. (Any word was sufficient.)
4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 9. Which fruit of a common flower is often mixed with hibiscus to
> make a herbal tea?

Rose hip. 4 for Dan Blum and Marc.

> 10. Traditionally this tea has been drunk to induce abortions and
> to stimulate menstrual flow, despite -- or perhaps because
> of -- its known toxicity. Kurt Cobain wrote a song about it,
> saying that it would "distill the life that's inside of me".
> Fittingly, the song with the same name as the tea appeared on
> Nirvana's album "In Utero". Name it.

Pennyroyal tea. 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent Spo Sci Mis
Stephen Perry -- -- 58 36 94
Dan Blum 23 13 36 20 92
Marc Dashevsky 24 0 47 8 79
Pete Gayde 18 40 19 0 77
Björn Lundin 8 37 12 0 57
Peter Smyth 6 40 0 8 54
Dan Tilque 0 0 38 0 38
Joshua Kreitzer -- -- 20 16 36
Erland Sommarskog 16 16 0 4 36
Bruce Bowler -- -- 17 4 21

--
Mark Brader | "On our campus the UNIX system has proved to be not
Toronto | only an effective software tool, but an agent of