Rotating Quiz #194, in General

Mark Brader

Aug 22, 2015, 6:31:46 PM8/22/15
This is, in general, Rotating Quiz #194.

My thanks to Erland Sommarskog for running RQ 193 and (rather a
change!) for writing a contest that allowed me to win. The winner
of RQ 194, in turn, will be the first choice to set RQ 195, in
whatever manner they prefer.

Please answer based only on your own knowledge; put all of your
answers in a single posting, quoting the question before each one.

Answer slates must be posted by noon Toronto time (zone -4) on
Friday, 2015-08-28, which gives you a few hours under 6 days from
the time of posting. Have fun.

In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be correct spelling
and capitalization; the second tiebreaker will be who scored
on the hardest questions; and the third tiebreaker will be who
posted first.

Unless otherwise specified, name the person or thing described.
For people, the last name is sufficient.

* General History

1. This man left France when it surrendered to Nazi Germany and
founded what became the "Free French" army. In later years he
had success as a politician.

2. Also in WW2, this man led the American forces at war with Japan.
But his military career came to an abrupt end when he exceeded
his authority in Korea.

* General Science... and Science-Fiction

3. Albert Einstein developed the theory of relativity in two stages.
His paper introduced "special relativity" was published in 1905,
followed in 1915 by one on "general relativity". What was
general about it?

4. In Larry Niven's "Known Space" series, a company owned by the
Puppeteers produces spacecraft hulls that are almost invulnerable
to damage. Name the company.

* General Fiction

5. Give the *complete first line* of the song that contains
the following lines:

I'm very well acquainted too with matters mathematical,
I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,
About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news --
With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.

6. This 1949 comedy starring Danny Kaye was based on a play by
Nikolai Gogol. The premise of both versions is that a
government agent is sent to check up on a small town whose
mayor is corrupt, and the mayor and his associates hear about
this try to placate the agent, but they guess wrong as to which
person *is* the agent.

* General Positions

7. In the US, Vivek Murthy succeeded Regina Benjamin in this
position.

8. In Canada, David Johnston succeeded Michaëlle Jean in this
position.

* General Corporations

9. This company traces its origins to Thomas Edison, among others.
Today it is a leading manufacturer of diesel locomotives and
airplane jet engines, as well as other products more likely to
be found in retail stores.

10. This company's brand names include Cheerios, Betty Crocker,
Pillsbury, Nature Valley, Progresso, Yoplait, and Häagen-Dazs.

* General Ranks

11. This rank as it now exists in the US army was created in 1944
for <answer 2> and a few others. Currently nobody holds
this rank. Give its official name.

12. This rank in the US army, four steps below <answer 11>, also
fits the theme of this contest, but the corresponding rank in
the British army does not.

--
Mark Brader | "To judge by this film, the life of a cold war spy consists
Toronto | of sitting for endless hours in soundproof rooms with peo-
| happen. Sort of like being a movie critic." --Roger Ebert

Chris F.A. Johnson

Aug 22, 2015, 7:20:02 PM8/22/15
On 2015-08-22, Mark Brader wrote:
> This is, in general, Rotating Quiz #194.
>

> My thanks to Erland Sommarskog for running RQ 193 and (rather a
> change!) for writing a contest that allowed me to win. The winner
> of RQ 194, in turn, will be the first choice to set RQ 195, in
> whatever manner they prefer.
>
> Please answer based only on your own knowledge; put all of your
> answers in a single posting, quoting the question before each one.
>
> Answer slates must be posted by noon Toronto time (zone -4) on
> Friday, 2015-08-28, which gives you a few hours under 6 days from
> the time of posting. Have fun.
>
> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be correct spelling
> and capitalization; the second tiebreaker will be who scored
> on the hardest questions; and the third tiebreaker will be who
> posted first.
>

> Unless otherwise specified, name the person or thing described.
> For people, the last name is sufficient.
>
> * General History
>
> 1. This man left France when it surrendered to Nazi Germany and
> founded what became the "Free French" army. In later years he
> had success as a politician.

DeGaulle

> 2. Also in WW2, this man led the American forces at war with Japan.
> But his military career came to an abrupt end when he exceeded
> his authority in Korea.

MacArthur

> * General Science... and Science-Fiction
>
> 3. Albert Einstein developed the theory of relativity in two stages.
> His paper introduced "special relativity" was published in 1905,
> followed in 1915 by one on "general relativity". What was
> general about it?
>
> 4. In Larry Niven's "Known Space" series, a company owned by the
> Puppeteers produces spacecraft hulls that are almost invulnerable
> to damage. Name the company.

General Products

> * General Fiction
>
> 5. Give the *complete first line* of the song that contains
> the following lines:
>
> I'm very well acquainted too with matters mathematical,
> I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,
> About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news --
> With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.

I am the very model of a modern major general

> 6. This 1949 comedy starring Danny Kaye was based on a play by
> Nikolai Gogol. The premise of both versions is that a
> government agent is sent to check up on a small town whose
> mayor is corrupt, and the mayor and his associates hear about
> this try to placate the agent, but they guess wrong as to which
> person *is* the agent.

The Inspector General

> * General Positions
>
> 7. In the US, Vivek Murthy succeeded Regina Benjamin in this
> position.
>
> 8. In Canada, David Johnston succeeded Micha?lle Jean in this
> position.

Governor General

> * General Corporations
>
> 9. This company traces its origins to Thomas Edison, among others.
> Today it is a leading manufacturer of diesel locomotives and
> airplane jet engines, as well as other products more likely to
> be found in retail stores.

General Electric

> 10. This company's brand names include Cheerios, Betty Crocker,
> Pillsbury, Nature Valley, Progresso, Yoplait, and H?agen-Dazs.

General Foods

> * General Ranks
>
> 11. This rank as it now exists in the US army was created in 1944
> for <answer 2> and a few others. Currently nobody holds
> this rank. Give its official name.

General of the Army

> 12. This rank in the US army, four steps below <answer 11>, also
> fits the theme of this contest, but the corresponding rank in
> the British army does not.

2-star general

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

swp

Aug 22, 2015, 7:40:31 PM8/22/15
On Saturday, August 22, 2015 at 6:31:46 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> This is, in general, Rotating Quiz #194.

noted

> My thanks to Erland Sommarskog for running RQ 193 and (rather a

and a tough act to follow!

> change!) for writing a contest that allowed me to win. The winner
> of RQ 194, in turn, will be the first choice to set RQ 195, in
> whatever manner they prefer.
>
> Please answer based only on your own knowledge; put all of your
> answers in a single posting, quoting the question before each one.
>
> Answer slates must be posted by noon Toronto time (zone -4) on
> Friday, 2015-08-28, which gives you a few hours under 6 days from
> the time of posting. Have fun.
>
> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be correct spelling
> and capitalization; the second tiebreaker will be who scored
> on the hardest questions; and the third tiebreaker will be who
> posted first.

and you know how much I love that first tiebreaker.

> Unless otherwise specified, name the person or thing described.
> For people, the last name is sufficient.
>
> * General History
>
> 1. This man left France when it surrendered to Nazi Germany and
> founded what became the "Free French" army. In later years he
> had success as a politician.

charles de gaulle

> 2. Also in WW2, this man led the American forces at war with Japan.
> But his military career came to an abrupt end when he exceeded
> his authority in Korea.

douglas macarthur

> * General Science... and Science-Fiction
>
> 3. Albert Einstein developed the theory of relativity in two stages.
> His paper introduced "special relativity" was published in 1905,
> followed in 1915 by one on "general relativity". What was
> general about it?

it generalized newton's gravity and special relativity together in a geometric fashion.

> 4. In Larry Niven's "Known Space" series, a company owned by the
> Puppeteers produces spacecraft hulls that are almost invulnerable
> to damage. Name the company.

general products

> * General Fiction
>
> 5. Give the *complete first line* of the song that contains
> the following lines:
>
> I'm very well acquainted too with matters mathematical,
> I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,
> About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news --
> With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.

I am the very model of a modern major general

> 6. This 1949 comedy starring Danny Kaye was based on a play by
> Nikolai Gogol. The premise of both versions is that a
> government agent is sent to check up on a small town whose
> mayor is corrupt, and the mayor and his associates hear about
> this try to placate the agent, but they guess wrong as to which
> person *is* the agent.

the government inspector aka the inspector general

> * General Positions
>
> 7. In the US, Vivek Murthy succeeded Regina Benjamin in this
> position.

surgeon general (?) (I will be upset with myself if it's 'attorney general')

> 8. In Canada, David Johnston succeeded Michaëlle Jean in this
> position.

governor general (?) (I am upset because I remember her name and not the context.)

> * General Corporations
>
> 9. This company traces its origins to Thomas Edison, among others.
> Today it is a leading manufacturer of diesel locomotives and
> airplane jet engines, as well as other products more likely to
> be found in retail stores.

general electric

> 10. This company's brand names include Cheerios, Betty Crocker,
> Pillsbury, Nature Valley, Progresso, Yoplait, and Häagen-Dazs.

general mills

> * General Ranks
>
> 11. This rank as it now exists in the US army was created in 1944
> for <answer 2> and a few others. Currently nobody holds
> this rank. Give its official name.

general of the army

> 12. This rank in the US army, four steps below <answer 11>, also
> fits the theme of this contest, but the corresponding rank in
> the British army does not.

brigadier general

swp, whose Uncle Vanya was a colonel general in a former country

Calvin

Aug 22, 2015, 11:53:45 PM8/22/15
On Sunday, August 23, 2015 at 8:31:46 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> This is, in general, Rotating Quiz #194.

> Unless otherwise specified, name the person or thing described.
> For people, the last name is sufficient.
>
> * General History
>
> 1. This man left France when it surrendered to Nazi Germany and
> founded what became the "Free French" army. In later years he
> had success as a politician.

De Gaulle

> 2. Also in WW2, this man led the American forces at war with Japan.
> But his military career came to an abrupt end when he exceeded
> his authority in Korea.

MacArthur

> * General Science... and Science-Fiction
>
> 3. Albert Einstein developed the theory of relativity in two stages.
> His paper introduced "special relativity" was published in 1905,
> followed in 1915 by one on "general relativity". What was
> general about it?
>
> 4. In Larry Niven's "Known Space" series, a company owned by the
> Puppeteers produces spacecraft hulls that are almost invulnerable
> to damage. Name the company.
>
> * General Fiction
>
> 5. Give the *complete first line* of the song that contains
> the following lines:
>
> I'm very well acquainted too with matters mathematical,
> I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,
> About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news --
> With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.

I am the very model of a modern major-general

> 6. This 1949 comedy starring Danny Kaye was based on a play by
> Nikolai Gogol. The premise of both versions is that a
> government agent is sent to check up on a small town whose
> mayor is corrupt, and the mayor and his associates hear about
> this try to placate the agent, but they guess wrong as to which
> person *is* the agent.
>

> * General Positions
>
> 7. In the US, Vivek Murthy succeeded Regina Benjamin in this
> position.

Postmaster General?

> 8. In Canada, David Johnston succeeded Michaëlle Jean in this
> position.

Governor-General

> * General Corporations
>
> 9. This company traces its origins to Thomas Edison, among others.
> Today it is a leading manufacturer of diesel locomotives and
> airplane jet engines, as well as other products more likely to
> be found in retail stores.

GE

> 10. This company's brand names include Cheerios, Betty Crocker,
> Pillsbury, Nature Valley, Progresso, Yoplait, and Häagen-Dazs.
>
> * General Ranks
>
> 11. This rank as it now exists in the US army was created in 1944
> for <answer 2> and a few others. Currently nobody holds
> this rank. Give its official name.

Brigadier General?

> 12. This rank in the US army, four steps below <answer 11>, also
> fits the theme of this contest, but the corresponding rank in
> the British army does not.

Lieutenant General?

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Aug 23, 2015, 3:14:58 AM8/23/15
Mark Brader wrote:
> This is, in general, Rotating Quiz #194.
>

> My thanks to Erland Sommarskog for running RQ 193 and (rather a
> change!) for writing a contest that allowed me to win. The winner
> of RQ 194, in turn, will be the first choice to set RQ 195, in
> whatever manner they prefer.
>
> Please answer based only on your own knowledge; put all of your
> answers in a single posting, quoting the question before each one.
>
> Answer slates must be posted by noon Toronto time (zone -4) on
> Friday, 2015-08-28, which gives you a few hours under 6 days from
> the time of posting. Have fun.
>
> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be correct spelling
> and capitalization; the second tiebreaker will be who scored
> on the hardest questions; and the third tiebreaker will be who
> posted first.
>

> Unless otherwise specified, name the person or thing described.
> For people, the last name is sufficient.
>
> * General History
>
> 1. This man left France when it surrendered to Nazi Germany and
> founded what became the "Free French" army. In later years he
> had success as a politician.

de Gaulle

> 2. Also in WW2, this man led the American forces at war with Japan.
> But his military career came to an abrupt end when he exceeded
> his authority in Korea.

MacArthur

> * General Science... and Science-Fiction
>
> 3. Albert Einstein developed the theory of relativity in two stages.
> His paper introduced "special relativity" was published in 1905,
> followed in 1915 by one on "general relativity". What was
> general about it?

it was a general theory of gravity

> 4. In Larry Niven's "Known Space" series, a company owned by the
> Puppeteers produces spacecraft hulls that are almost invulnerable
> to damage. Name the company.

General Products

> * General Fiction
>
> 5. Give the *complete first line* of the song that contains
> the following lines:
>
> I'm very well acquainted too with matters mathematical,
> I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,
> About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news --
> With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.

I am the very model of a modern Major General

> 6. This 1949 comedy starring Danny Kaye was based on a play by
> Nikolai Gogol. The premise of both versions is that a
> government agent is sent to check up on a small town whose
> mayor is corrupt, and the mayor and his associates hear about
> this try to placate the agent, but they guess wrong as to which
> person *is* the agent.

Inspector General

(total WAG here)

> * General Positions
>
> 7. In the US, Vivek Murthy succeeded Regina Benjamin in this
> position.

Solicitor General

> 8. In Canada, David Johnston succeeded Michaëlle Jean in this
> position.

Governor General

> * General Corporations
>
> 9. This company traces its origins to Thomas Edison, among others.
> Today it is a leading manufacturer of diesel locomotives and
> airplane jet engines, as well as other products more likely to
> be found in retail stores.

General Electric

> 10. This company's brand names include Cheerios, Betty Crocker,
> Pillsbury, Nature Valley, Progresso, Yoplait, and Häagen-Dazs.

General Mills

> * General Ranks
>
> 11. This rank as it now exists in the US army was created in 1944
> for <answer 2> and a few others. Currently nobody holds
> this rank. Give its official name.

General of the Army

> 12. This rank in the US army, four steps below <answer 11>, also
> fits the theme of this contest, but the corresponding rank in
> the British army does not.

Brigadier General

--
Dan Tilque

Gareth Owen

Aug 23, 2015, 3:25:47 AM8/23/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> * General History
>
> 1. This man left France when it surrendered to Nazi Germany and
> founded what became the "Free French" army. In later years he
> had success as a politician.

Charles De Gaulle

> 2. Also in WW2, this man led the American forces at war with Japan.
> But his military career came to an abrupt end when he exceeded
> his authority in Korea.

Douglas MacArthur

> * General Science... and Science-Fiction
>
> 3. Albert Einstein developed the theory of relativity in two stages.
> His paper introduced "special relativity" was published in 1905,
> followed in 1915 by one on "general relativity". What was
> general about it?

You could have gravity in it

> 4. In Larry Niven's "Known Space" series, a company owned by the
> Puppeteers produces spacecraft hulls that are almost invulnerable
> to damage. Name the company.

General Motors

> * General Fiction
>
> 5. Give the *complete first line* of the song that contains
> the following lines:
>
> I'm very well acquainted too with matters mathematical,
> I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,
> About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news --
> With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.

I Am The Very Model Of A Modern Major General

> 6. This 1949 comedy starring Danny Kaye was based on a play by
> Nikolai Gogol. The premise of both versions is that a
> government agent is sent to check up on a small town whose
> mayor is corrupt, and the mayor and his associates hear about
> this try to placate the agent, but they guess wrong as to which
> person *is* the agent.

The Inspector General? (Clearly based on The Government Inspector)

> * General Positions
>
> 7. In the US, Vivek Murthy succeeded Regina Benjamin in this
> position.

Surgeon General?

> 8. In Canada, David Johnston succeeded Michaëlle Jean in this
> position.

Governor General, I assume

> * General Corporations
>
> 9. This company traces its origins to Thomas Edison, among others.
> Today it is a leading manufacturer of diesel locomotives and
> airplane jet engines, as well as other products more likely to
> be found in retail stores.

General Electric (GE) (Thanks, "30 Rock")

> 10. This company's brand names include Cheerios, Betty Crocker,
> Pillsbury, Nature Valley, Progresso, Yoplait, and Häagen-Dazs.

General Mills

> * General Ranks
>
> 11. This rank as it now exists in the US army was created in 1944
> for <answer 2> and a few others. Currently nobody holds
> this rank. Give its official name.

Five Star General??

> 12. This rank in the US army, four steps below <answer 11>, also
> fits the theme of this contest, but the corresponding rank in
> the British army does not.

Lieutenant General??

Marc Dashevsky

Aug 23, 2015, 4:56:49 AM8/23/15
In article <v-KdnUvjVuTMZUXI...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
> * General History
>
> 1. This man left France when it surrendered to Nazi Germany and
> founded what became the "Free French" army. In later years he
> had success as a politician.
DeGaulle

> 2. Also in WW2, this man led the American forces at war with Japan.
> But his military career came to an abrupt end when he exceeded
> his authority in Korea.
MacArthur

> * General Science... and Science-Fiction
>
> 3. Albert Einstein developed the theory of relativity in two stages.
> His paper introduced "special relativity" was published in 1905,
> followed in 1915 by one on "general relativity". What was
> general about it?
It incorporated gravity

> 4. In Larry Niven's "Known Space" series, a company owned by the
> Puppeteers produces spacecraft hulls that are almost invulnerable
> to damage. Name the company.
General Hull

> * General Fiction
>
> 5. Give the *complete first line* of the song that contains
> the following lines:
>
> I'm very well acquainted too with matters mathematical,
> I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,
> About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news --
> With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.
>
> 6. This 1949 comedy starring Danny Kaye was based on a play by
> Nikolai Gogol. The premise of both versions is that a
> government agent is sent to check up on a small town whose
> mayor is corrupt, and the mayor and his associates hear about
> this try to placate the agent, but they guess wrong as to which
> person *is* the agent.
>

> * General Positions
>
> 7. In the US, Vivek Murthy succeeded Regina Benjamin in this
> position.
Surgeon General

> 8. In Canada, David Johnston succeeded Michaëlle Jean in this
> position.
Attorney General

> * General Corporations
>
> 9. This company traces its origins to Thomas Edison, among others.
> Today it is a leading manufacturer of diesel locomotives and
> airplane jet engines, as well as other products more likely to
> be found in retail stores.
General Electric

> 10. This company's brand names include Cheerios, Betty Crocker,
> Pillsbury, Nature Valley, Progresso, Yoplait, and Häagen-Dazs.
General Mills

> * General Ranks
>
> 11. This rank as it now exists in the US army was created in 1944
> for <answer 2> and a few others. Currently nobody holds
> this rank. Give its official name.
five-star general

> 12. This rank in the US army, four steps below <answer 11>, also
> fits the theme of this contest, but the corresponding rank in
> the British army does not.
brigadier general

Peter Smyth

Aug 23, 2015, 2:59:23 PM8/23/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> This is, in general, Rotating Quiz #194.
>

> My thanks to Erland Sommarskog for running RQ 193 and (rather a
> change!) for writing a contest that allowed me to win. The winner
> of RQ 194, in turn, will be the first choice to set RQ 195, in
> whatever manner they prefer.
>
> Please answer based only on your own knowledge; put all of your
> answers in a single posting, quoting the question before each one.
>
> Answer slates must be posted by noon Toronto time (zone -4) on
> Friday, 2015-08-28, which gives you a few hours under 6 days from
> the time of posting. Have fun.
>
> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be correct spelling
> and capitalization; the second tiebreaker will be who scored
> on the hardest questions; and the third tiebreaker will be who
> posted first.
>

> Unless otherwise specified, name the person or thing described.
> For people, the last name is sufficient.
>
> * General History
>
> 1. This man left France when it surrendered to Nazi Germany and
> founded what became the "Free French" army. In later years he
> had success as a politician.
de Gaulle
> 2. Also in WW2, this man led the American forces at war with Japan.
> But his military career came to an abrupt end when he exceeded
> his authority in Korea.
Macarthur

> * General Science... and Science-Fiction
>
> 3. Albert Einstein developed the theory of relativity in two stages.
> His paper introduced "special relativity" was published in 1905,
> followed in 1915 by one on "general relativity". What was
> general about it?
>
> 4. In Larry Niven's "Known Space" series, a company owned by the
> Puppeteers produces spacecraft hulls that are almost invulnerable
> to damage. Name the company.
>

> * General Fiction
>
> 5. Give the *complete first line* of the song that contains
> the following lines:
>
> I'm very well acquainted too with matters mathematical,
> I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,
> About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news --
> With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.
I am the very model of a modern major-general
> 6. This 1949 comedy starring Danny Kaye was based on a play by
> Nikolai Gogol. The premise of both versions is that a
> government agent is sent to check up on a small town whose
> mayor is corrupt, and the mayor and his associates hear about
> this try to placate the agent, but they guess wrong as to which
> person is the agent.
>

> * General Positions
>
> 7. In the US, Vivek Murthy succeeded Regina Benjamin in this
> position.
Attorney-General
> 8. In Canada, David Johnston succeeded Michaëlle Jean in this
> position.
Governor-General

> * General Corporations
>
> 9. This company traces its origins to Thomas Edison, among others.
> Today it is a leading manufacturer of diesel locomotives and
> airplane jet engines, as well as other products more likely to
> be found in retail stores.
General Electric
> 10. This company's brand names include Cheerios, Betty Crocker,
> Pillsbury, Nature Valley, Progresso, Yoplait, and Häagen-Dazs.
>

> * General Ranks
>
> 11. This rank as it now exists in the US army was created in 1944
> for <answer 2> and a few others. Currently nobody holds
> this rank. Give its official name.
General of the Army
> 12. This rank in the US army, four steps below <answer 11>, also
> fits the theme of this contest, but the corresponding rank in
> the British army does not.
Brigadier-General

Peter Smyth

Pete

Aug 23, 2015, 3:19:41 PM8/23/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:v-KdnUvjVuTMZUXInZ2dnUU7-
bOd...@vex.net:

> This is, in general, Rotating Quiz #194.
>

> My thanks to Erland Sommarskog for running RQ 193 and (rather a
> change!) for writing a contest that allowed me to win. The winner
> of RQ 194, in turn, will be the first choice to set RQ 195, in
> whatever manner they prefer.
>
> Please answer based only on your own knowledge; put all of your
> answers in a single posting, quoting the question before each one.
>
> Answer slates must be posted by noon Toronto time (zone -4) on
> Friday, 2015-08-28, which gives you a few hours under 6 days from
> the time of posting. Have fun.
>
> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be correct spelling
> and capitalization; the second tiebreaker will be who scored
> on the hardest questions; and the third tiebreaker will be who
> posted first.
>

> Unless otherwise specified, name the person or thing described.
> For people, the last name is sufficient.
>
> * General History
>
> 1. This man left France when it surrendered to Nazi Germany and
> founded what became the "Free French" army. In later years he
> had success as a politician.

De Gaulle

> 2. Also in WW2, this man led the American forces at war with Japan.
> But his military career came to an abrupt end when he exceeded
> his authority in Korea.

MacArthur

> * General Science... and Science-Fiction
>
> 3. Albert Einstein developed the theory of relativity in two stages.
> His paper introduced "special relativity" was published in 1905,
> followed in 1915 by one on "general relativity". What was
> general about it?
>
> 4. In Larry Niven's "Known Space" series, a company owned by the
> Puppeteers produces spacecraft hulls that are almost invulnerable
> to damage. Name the company.
>

> * General Fiction
>
> 5. Give the *complete first line* of the song that contains
> the following lines:
>
> I'm very well acquainted too with matters mathematical,
> I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,
> About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news --
> With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.

I am the very model of a modern Major General

> 6. This 1949 comedy starring Danny Kaye was based on a play by
> Nikolai Gogol. The premise of both versions is that a
> government agent is sent to check up on a small town whose
> mayor is corrupt, and the mayor and his associates hear about
> this try to placate the agent, but they guess wrong as to which
> person *is* the agent.
>

> * General Positions
>
> 7. In the US, Vivek Murthy succeeded Regina Benjamin in this
> position.

Surgeon General

> 8. In Canada, David Johnston succeeded Michaëlle Jean in this
> position.
>

> * General Corporations
>
> 9. This company traces its origins to Thomas Edison, among others.
> Today it is a leading manufacturer of diesel locomotives and
> airplane jet engines, as well as other products more likely to
> be found in retail stores.

General Electric

> 10. This company's brand names include Cheerios, Betty Crocker,
> Pillsbury, Nature Valley, Progresso, Yoplait, and Häagen-Dazs.

General Mills

> * General Ranks
>
> 11. This rank as it now exists in the US army was created in 1944
> for <answer 2> and a few others. Currently nobody holds
> this rank. Give its official name.

5 Star General

> 12. This rank in the US army, four steps below <answer 11>, also
> fits the theme of this contest, but the corresponding rank in
> the British army does not.

Pete

Dan Blum

Aug 23, 2015, 10:24:46 PM8/23/15
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * General History

> 1. This man left France when it surrendered to Nazi Germany and
> founded what became the "Free French" army. In later years he
> had success as a politician.

Charles de Gaulle

> 2. Also in WW2, this man led the American forces at war with Japan.
> But his military career came to an abrupt end when he exceeded
> his authority in Korea.

Douglas Macarthur

> * General Science... and Science-Fiction

> 3. Albert Einstein developed the theory of relativity in two stages.
> His paper introduced "special relativity" was published in 1905,
> followed in 1915 by one on "general relativity". What was
> general about it?

it covered cases where there was acceleration

> 4. In Larry Niven's "Known Space" series, a company owned by the
> Puppeteers produces spacecraft hulls that are almost invulnerable
> to damage. Name the company.

General Products

What would happen if they merged with General Services from Heinlein's
"We Also Walk Dogs?"

> * General Fiction

> 5. Give the *complete first line* of the song that contains
> the following lines:

> I'm very well acquainted too with matters mathematical,
> I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,
> About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news --
> With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.

I am the very model of a modern Major General

> 6. This 1949 comedy starring Danny Kaye was based on a play by
> Nikolai Gogol. The premise of both versions is that a
> government agent is sent to check up on a small town whose
> mayor is corrupt, and the mayor and his associates hear about
> this try to placate the agent, but they guess wrong as to which
> person *is* the agent.

The Inspector General

> * General Positions

> 7. In the US, Vivek Murthy succeeded Regina Benjamin in this
> position.

Surgeon General

> 8. In Canada, David Johnston succeeded Micha?lle Jean in this
> position.

Governor General

> * General Corporations

> 9. This company traces its origins to Thomas Edison, among others.
> Today it is a leading manufacturer of diesel locomotives and
> airplane jet engines, as well as other products more likely to
> be found in retail stores.

General Electric

> 10. This company's brand names include Cheerios, Betty Crocker,
> Pillsbury, Nature Valley, Progresso, Yoplait, and H?agen-Dazs.

General Mills

> * General Ranks

> 11. This rank as it now exists in the US army was created in 1944
> for <answer 2> and a few others. Currently nobody holds
> this rank. Give its official name.

General of the Army

> 12. This rank in the US army, four steps below <answer 11>, also
> fits the theme of this contest, but the corresponding rank in
> the British army does not.

Brigadier General

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Aug 27, 2015, 1:05:03 PM8/27/15
You have about 23 hours remaining to enter RQ 194.

Repeated for your easy reference...

Please answer based only on your own knowledge; put all of your
answers in a single posting, quoting the question before each one.
Mark Brader | "... a movement is already under way to declare December 7
Toronto | an annual legal holiday in commemoration of the opening of
m...@vex.net | hostilities." -- Ring Lardner, New York Times, 1931

Mark Brader

Aug 28, 2015, 1:15:08 PM8/28/15
Rotating Quiz #194 is over and DAN BLUM wins it with a perfect 12.
Hearty congratulations! And please start RQ 195 at your earliest
convenience.

> * General History

> 1. This man left France when it surrendered to Nazi Germany and
> founded what became the "Free French" army. In later years he
> had success as a politician.

Charles de Gaulle. 1 for everyone -- Chris, Stephen, Calvin,
Dan Tilque, Gareth, Marc, Peter, Pete, and Dan Blum.

> 2. Also in WW2, this man led the American forces at war with Japan.
> But his military career came to an abrupt end when he exceeded
> his authority in Korea.

Douglas MacArthur. 1 for everyone.

> * General Science... and Science-Fiction

> 3. Albert Einstein developed the theory of relativity in two stages.
> His paper introduced "special relativity" was published in 1905,
> followed in 1915 by one on "general relativity". What was
> general about it?

It addresses acceleration and in particular gravity. (Anything along
these lines was sufficient. Special relativity only considered
objects moving at constant velocity.) 1 for Stephen, Dan Tilque,
Gareth, Marc, and Dan Blum.

> 4. In Larry Niven's "Known Space" series, a company owned by the
> Puppeteers produces spacecraft hulls that are almost invulnerable
> to damage. Name the company.

General Products. 1 for Chris, Stephen, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> * General Fiction

> 5. Give the *complete first line* of the song that contains
> the following lines:

> I'm very well acquainted too with matters mathematical,
> I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,
> About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news --
> With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.

The song is from "The Pirates of Penzance: or, The Slave of Duty"
by Gilbert and Sullivan (1880).

When I composed this question I thought that I knew the answer and
it was: "I am the very model of a modern major general". But since
it was possible that spelling and capitalization would have been a
tiebreaker, I decided to look for the original version in Google Books
and see whether it had "major-general", "Major-General", or what.

I restricted the search to "full view" editions, since the original
would be in the public domain, and found two, both dated 1880, one
containing the sheet music and the other only the lyrics -- and it
turned out that they spelled the last word differently. The sheet
music has "Ma - jor - Ge - ne - ral", meaning "Major-General", while
the other edition has "major-gineral", lower-case, obviously spelling
it with an I to match the rhyme with "mineral" on the following line.

But in both editions, the fifth word of the first line is "pattern",
not "model". The line "I am the very model of a modern major-general"
does occur in the song, but later.

At this point I decided that not only did I have it wrong, but so did
all 8 entrants who'd answered the question, all with the answer I'd
been expecting. But then I wondered further, and started looking
for a recording of the show that I thought we had. When I found
that I was wrong about that too, my wife Cathy suggested using the
Toronto Public Library web site.

She checked three recordings of different productions of the show and
all three of them had "model" rather than "pattern" in the first line.
So it would seem that at some time after the original version was
written, someone decided that this would be an improvement and that's
become the way it's usually sung.

I therefore decided to accept either version. So:

"I am the very pattern (or model) of a modern Major-General". 1 for
Chris, Stephen, Calvin, Dan Tilque, Gareth, Peter, Pete, and Dan Blum.

> 6. This 1949 comedy starring Danny Kaye was based on a play by
> Nikolai Gogol. The premise of both versions is that a
> government agent is sent to check up on a small town whose
> mayor is corrupt, and the mayor and his associates hear about
> this try to placate the agent, but they guess wrong as to which
> person *is* the agent.

"The Inspector General". 1 for Chris, Dan Tilque, Gareth,
and Dan Blum.

> * General Positions

> 7. In the US, Vivek Murthy succeeded Regina Benjamin in this
> position.

Surgeon General 1 for Stephen, Gareth, Marc, Pete, and Dan Blum.

> 8. In Canada, David Johnston succeeded Michaëlle Jean in this
> position.

Governor General. 1 for Chris, Stephen, Calvin, Dan Tilque, Gareth,
Peter, and Dan Blum.

> * General Corporations

> 9. This company traces its origins to Thomas Edison, among others.
> Today it is a leading manufacturer of diesel locomotives and
> airplane jet engines, as well as other products more likely to
> be found in retail stores.

General Electric. 1 for Chris, Stephen, Dan Tilque, Gareth, Marc,
Peter, Pete, and Dan Blum.

> 10. This company's brand names include Cheerios, Betty Crocker,
> Pillsbury, Nature Valley, Progresso, Yoplait, and Häagen-Dazs.

General Mills. 1 for Stephen, Dan Tilque, Gareth, Marc, Pete,
and Dan Blum.

> * General Ranks

> 11. This rank as it now exists in the US army was created in 1944
> for <answer 2> and a few others. Currently nobody holds
> this rank. Give its official name.

General of the Army. (Informally, 5-star general.) 1 for Chris,
Stephen, Dan Tilque, Peter, and Dan Blum.

> 12. This rank in the US army, four steps below <answer 11>, also
> fits the theme of this contest, but the corresponding rank in
> the British army does not.

Brigadier General. ("Brigadier" in the British army.) 1 for Stephen,
Dan Tilque, Marc, Peter, and Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

His S/SF Fic Pos Corp Rank TOTALS

Dan Blum 2 2 2 2 2 2 12
Dan Tilque 2 2 2 1 2 2 11
Stephen Perry 2 2 1 2 2 2 11
Gareth Owen 2 1 2 2 2 0 9
Chris Johnson 2 1 2 1 1 1 8
Peter Smyth 2 0 1 1 1 2 7
Marc Dashevsky 2 1 0 1 2 1 7
Pete Gayde 2 0 1 1 2 0 6
"Calvin" 2 0 1 1 0 0 4

--
Mark Brader "Male got pregnant -- on the first try."
Toronto Newsweek article on high-tech conception