QFTCI11 Final Round 7: Geography

Mark Brader

Nov 27, 2011, 8:27:30 PM11/27/11
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-04-04,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days. For further information see
my 2011-09-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI11, QFTCIMM)".

I wrote 4 triples in this round.

* Final, Round 7 - Geography

A. Country Subdivisions

A1. In the US they have states, in Canada provinces. What is
the term for one of the corresponding units in Germany?
Answer in German.

A2. What is the name for one of the units that Switzerland is
divided into? More or less the same word is used in
English, French, and German.

A3. Russia is divided into several kinds of units, but we
want the term for the most numerous kind -- there are
more than 40 of them. For example, the Kaliningrad
exclave is one of these. The Russian word for them is
also used in English: what is it?

B. Airports

In each case we're asking for the major city served by the airport.
For example, Toronto, not Mississauga.

B1. What city is served by Toussaint Louverture International
Airport?

B2. What city is served by Jomo Kenyatta International
Airport?

B3. What city is served by an airport named for Frédéric
Chopin?

C. Trains

C1. You would find the Canadian Pacific in Canada. In what
country would you find the Indian Pacific?

C2. TGV ("tay-zhay-vay") stands for the French words "Train
à Grande Vitesse", and you would mostly find these
trains in France. The ICE ("I-C-E") is a similarly
fast train whose initials stand for the English words
"Inter-City Express". In what country would you mostly
find ICE trains?

C3. In what country would you find the Shinkansen?

D. Seas

D1. Just south of Istanbul, forming part of the water
boundary between the European and Asiatic parts of Turkey,
is what sea about the size of Connecticut or Lebanon?

D2. What large sea is a part of the Indian Ocean lying west
of India and is about the same size as India?

D3. This triangular sea forms a bay on the north side of the
Black Sea. It is bounded on the west and south by
Ukraine, including the Crimean Peninsula, and on the east
by Russia, with the city of Rostov-on-Don at its head.
It's about the size of Switzerland, or somewhat larger
than Maryland. Name it.

E. US Mountains

For each question we will name a range or area of mountains that
is located entirely in one US state, or nearly so, and you must
name that state.

E1. The Catskills.
E2. The Poconos.
E3. The Green Mountains.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "As always, breakfast recapitulated
m...@vex.net phylogeny." -- Spider Robinson

Joshua Kreitzer

Nov 27, 2011, 8:44:39 PM11/27/11
On Nov 27, 7:27 pm, m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:

> * Final, Round 7 - Geography
>
> A. Country Subdivisions
>
>    A1. In the US they have states, in Canada provinces.  What is
>        the term for one of the corresponding units in Germany?
>        Answer in German.

Land

>    A2. What is the name for one of the units that Switzerland is
>        divided into?  More or less the same word is used in
>        English, French, and German.

canton

>    A3. Russia is divided into several kinds of units, but we
>        want the term for the most numerous kind -- there are
>        more than 40 of them.  For example, the Kaliningrad
>        exclave is one of these.  The Russian word for them is
>        also used in English: what is it?

oblast

> B. Airports
>
> In each case we're asking for the major city served by the airport.
> For example, Toronto, not Mississauga.
>
>    B1. What city is served by Toussaint Louverture International
>        Airport?

Port-au-Prince

>    B2. What city is served by Jomo Kenyatta International
>        Airport?

Nairobi

>    B3. What city is served by an airport named for Frédéric
>        Chopin?

Warsaw

> C. Trains
>
>    C1. You would find the Canadian Pacific in Canada.  In what
>        country would you find the Indian Pacific?

India
(I'm not under any illusions that this is the correct answer, but I
don't have any better answer)

>    C3. In what country would you find the Shinkansen?

Japan

> D. Seas
>
>    D1. Just south of Istanbul, forming part of the water
>        boundary between the European and Asiatic parts of Turkey,
>        is what sea about the size of Connecticut or Lebanon?

Sea of Marmara

>    D2. What large sea is a part of the Indian Ocean lying west
>        of India and is about the same size as India?

Arabian Sea

> E. US Mountains
>
> For each question we will name a range or area of mountains that
> is located entirely in one US state, or nearly so, and you must
> name that state.
>
>    E1. The Catskills.

New York

>    E2. The Poconos.

Pennsylvania

>    E3. The Green Mountains.

Vermont

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Calvin

Nov 27, 2011, 10:46:59 PM11/27/11
On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 11:27:30 +1000, Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Final, Round 7 - Geography
>
> A. Country Subdivisions
>
> A1. In the US they have states, in Canada provinces. What is
> the term for one of the corresponding units in Germany?
> Answer in German.

Paletinate or something like that

> A2. What is the name for one of the units that Switzerland is
> divided into? More or less the same word is used in
> English, French, and German.

Cantons

> A3. Russia is divided into several kinds of units, but we
> want the term for the most numerous kind -- there are
> more than 40 of them. For example, the Kaliningrad
> exclave is one of these. The Russian word for them is
> also used in English: what is it?

Gulag :-)

> B. Airports
>
> In each case we're asking for the major city served by the airport.
> For example, Toronto, not Mississauga.
>
> B1. What city is served by Toussaint Louverture International
> Airport?

Marseilles, Lyon

> B2. What city is served by Jomo Kenyatta International
> Airport?

Nairobi, Mombassa

> B3. What city is served by an airport named for Frédéric
> Chopin?

Warsaw, Krakow

> C. Trains
>
> C1. You would find the Canadian Pacific in Canada. In what
> country would you find the Indian Pacific?

Australia

> C2. TGV ("tay-zhay-vay") stands for the French words "Train
> à Grande Vitesse", and you would mostly find these
> trains in France. The ICE ("I-C-E") is a similarly
> fast train whose initials stand for the English words
> "Inter-City Express". In what country would you mostly
> find ICE trains?

China, Germany

> C3. In what country would you find the Shinkansen?

Thailand, S Korea

> D. Seas
>
> D1. Just south of Istanbul, forming part of the water
> boundary between the European and Asiatic parts of Turkey,
> is what sea about the size of Connecticut or Lebanon?

Marmara

> D2. What large sea is a part of the Indian Ocean lying west
> of India and is about the same size as India?

Arabian

> D3. This triangular sea forms a bay on the north side of the
> Black Sea. It is bounded on the west and south by
> Ukraine, including the Crimean Peninsula, and on the east
> by Russia, with the city of Rostov-on-Don at its head.
> It's about the size of Switzerland, or somewhat larger
> than Maryland. Name it.

Azov

> E. US Mountains
>
> For each question we will name a range or area of mountains that
> is located entirely in one US state, or nearly so, and you must
> name that state.
>
> E1. The Catskills.

Virginia, West Virginia

> E2. The Poconos.

Missouri, Iowa

> E3. The Green Mountains.

Vermont?

--
cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Nov 27, 2011, 11:19:13 PM11/27/11
Joshua Kreitzer:
> (I'm not under any illusions that this is the correct answer, but...)

Giggle!
--
Mark Brader | "No, I'm disagreeing with you. That doesn't mean I'm not
m...@vex.net | listening to you or understanding what you're saying:

swp

Nov 27, 2011, 11:40:07 PM11/27/11
On Sunday, November 27, 2011 8:27:30 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> * Final, Round 7 - Geography
>
> A. Country Subdivisions
>
> A1. In the US they have states, in Canada provinces. What is
> the term for one of the corresponding units in Germany?
> Answer in German.

lander (where's the umlaut on this new computer?) or bundesland

> A2. What is the name for one of the units that Switzerland is
> divided into? More or less the same word is used in
> English, French, and German.

cantons

> A3. Russia is divided into several kinds of units, but we
> want the term for the most numerous kind -- there are
> more than 40 of them. For example, the Kaliningrad
> exclave is one of these. The Russian word for them is
> also used in English: what is it?

federal subjects ; or did you want just 'oblasts' (provinces)? (krais, okrugs, etc. are also types of federal subject for example)

> B. Airports
>
> In each case we're asking for the major city served by the airport.
> For example, Toronto, not Mississauga.
>
> B1. What city is served by Toussaint Louverture International
> Airport?

port au prince

> B2. What city is served by Jomo Kenyatta International
> Airport?

nairobi

> B3. What city is served by an airport named for Frédéric
> Chopin?

warsaw

> C. Trains
>
> C1. You would find the Canadian Pacific in Canada. In what
> country would you find the Indian Pacific?

australia

> C2. TGV ("tay-zhay-vay") stands for the French words "Train
> à Grande Vitesse", and you would mostly find these
> trains in France. The ICE ("I-C-E") is a similarly
> fast train whose initials stand for the English words
> "Inter-City Express". In what country would you mostly
> find ICE trains?

germany

> C3. In what country would you find the Shinkansen?

japan

> D. Seas
>
> D1. Just south of Istanbul, forming part of the water
> boundary between the European and Asiatic parts of Turkey,
> is what sea about the size of Connecticut or Lebanon?

marmara denizi

> D2. What large sea is a part of the Indian Ocean lying west
> of India and is about the same size as India?

arabian sea

> D3. This triangular sea forms a bay on the north side of the
> Black Sea. It is bounded on the west and south by
> Ukraine, including the Crimean Peninsula, and on the east
> by Russia, with the city of Rostov-on-Don at its head.
> It's about the size of Switzerland, or somewhat larger
> than Maryland. Name it.

sea of azov

> E. US Mountains
>
> For each question we will name a range or area of mountains that
> is located entirely in one US state, or nearly so, and you must
> name that state.
>
> E1. The Catskills.

new york

> E2. The Poconos.

pennsylvania

> E3. The Green Mountains.

vermont

swp

Dan Tilque

Nov 28, 2011, 12:09:39 AM11/28/11
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Final, Round 7 - Geography
>
> A. Country Subdivisions
>
> A1. In the US they have states, in Canada provinces. What is
> the term for one of the corresponding units in Germany?
> Answer in German.

Land

> A2. What is the name for one of the units that Switzerland is
> divided into? More or less the same word is used in
> English, French, and German.

canton

> A3. Russia is divided into several kinds of units, but we
> want the term for the most numerous kind -- there are
> more than 40 of them. For example, the Kaliningrad
> exclave is one of these. The Russian word for them is
> also used in English: what is it?

oblast

> B. Airports
>
> In each case we're asking for the major city served by the airport.
> For example, Toronto, not Mississauga.
>
> B1. What city is served by Toussaint Louverture International
> Airport?

Marseilles

> B2. What city is served by Jomo Kenyatta International
> Airport?

Nairobi

> B3. What city is served by an airport named for Frédéric
> Chopin?

Hamburg

> C. Trains
>
> C1. You would find the Canadian Pacific in Canada. In what
> country would you find the Indian Pacific?

Malaysia

> C2. TGV ("tay-zhay-vay") stands for the French words "Train
> à Grande Vitesse", and you would mostly find these
> trains in France. The ICE ("I-C-E") is a similarly
> fast train whose initials stand for the English words
> "Inter-City Express". In what country would you mostly
> find ICE trains?

UK

> C3. In what country would you find the Shinkansen?

Japan

> D. Seas
>
> D1. Just south of Istanbul, forming part of the water
> boundary between the European and Asiatic parts of Turkey,
> is what sea about the size of Connecticut or Lebanon?

Sea of Marmara

> D2. What large sea is a part of the Indian Ocean lying west
> of India and is about the same size as India?

Arabian Sea

> D3. This triangular sea forms a bay on the north side of the
> Black Sea. It is bounded on the west and south by
> Ukraine, including the Crimean Peninsula, and on the east
> by Russia, with the city of Rostov-on-Don at its head.
> It's about the size of Switzerland, or somewhat larger
> than Maryland. Name it.

Sea of Azov

> E. US Mountains
>
> For each question we will name a range or area of mountains that
> is located entirely in one US state, or nearly so, and you must
> name that state.
>
> E1. The Catskills.

New York

> E2. The Poconos.

Pennsylvania

> E3. The Green Mountains.

Vermont

--
Dan Tilque

"I can't believe this. Trapped in Ryoval's basement with a sex-starved
teenage werewolf. There was nothing about this in any of my Imperial
Academy training manuals..."
-- "Labyrinth", Lois McMaster Bujold

Marc Dashevsky

Nov 28, 2011, 1:08:16 AM11/28/11
In article <gMednQfeGI8ffk_T...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Final, Round 7 - Geography
>
> A. Country Subdivisions
>
> A1. In the US they have states, in Canada provinces. What is
> the term for one of the corresponding units in Germany?
> Answer in German.
>
> A2. What is the name for one of the units that Switzerland is
> divided into? More or less the same word is used in
> English, French, and German.
canton

> A3. Russia is divided into several kinds of units, but we
> want the term for the most numerous kind -- there are
> more than 40 of them. For example, the Kaliningrad
> exclave is one of these. The Russian word for them is
> also used in English: what is it?
oblast

> B. Airports
>
> In each case we're asking for the major city served by the airport.
> For example, Toronto, not Mississauga.
>
> B1. What city is served by Toussaint Louverture International
> Airport?
>
> B2. What city is served by Jomo Kenyatta International
> Airport?
Nairobi

> B3. What city is served by an airport named for Frédéric
> Chopin?
Warsaw

> C. Trains
>
> C1. You would find the Canadian Pacific in Canada. In what
> country would you find the Indian Pacific?
>
> C2. TGV ("tay-zhay-vay") stands for the French words "Train
> à Grande Vitesse", and you would mostly find these
> trains in France. The ICE ("I-C-E") is a similarly
> fast train whose initials stand for the English words
> "Inter-City Express". In what country would you mostly
> find ICE trains?
>
> C3. In what country would you find the Shinkansen?
Japan

> D. Seas
>
> D1. Just south of Istanbul, forming part of the water
> boundary between the European and Asiatic parts of Turkey,
> is what sea about the size of Connecticut or Lebanon?
>
> D2. What large sea is a part of the Indian Ocean lying west
> of India and is about the same size as India?
Arabian Sea

> D3. This triangular sea forms a bay on the north side of the
> Black Sea. It is bounded on the west and south by
> Ukraine, including the Crimean Peninsula, and on the east
> by Russia, with the city of Rostov-on-Don at its head.
> It's about the size of Switzerland, or somewhat larger
> than Maryland. Name it.
Sea of Azov

> E. US Mountains
>
> For each question we will name a range or area of mountains that
> is located entirely in one US state, or nearly so, and you must
> name that state.
>
> E1. The Catskills.
New York

> E2. The Poconos.
Pennsylvania

> E3. The Green Mountains.
Vermont, hence the name of the state

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Peter Smyth

Nov 28, 2011, 3:34:17 AM11/28/11
"Mark Brader" wrote in message

>* Final, Round 7 - Geography
>
>A. Country Subdivisions
>
> A1. In the US they have states, in Canada provinces. What is
> the term for one of the corresponding units in Germany?
> Answer in German.
Lander
> A2. What is the name for one of the units that Switzerland is
> divided into? More or less the same word is used in
> English, French, and German.
Canton
> A3. Russia is divided into several kinds of units, but we
> want the term for the most numerous kind -- there are
> more than 40 of them. For example, the Kaliningrad
> exclave is one of these. The Russian word for them is
> also used in English: what is it?
Oblast

>B. Airports
>
>In each case we're asking for the major city served by the airport.
>For example, Toronto, not Mississauga.
>
> B1. What city is served by Toussaint Louverture International
> Airport?
>
> B2. What city is served by Jomo Kenyatta International
> Airport?
>
> B3. What city is served by an airport named for Fr�d�ric
> Chopin?
>

>C. Trains
>
> C1. You would find the Canadian Pacific in Canada. In what
> country would you find the Indian Pacific?
USA
> C2. TGV ("tay-zhay-vay") stands for the French words "Train
> � Grande Vitesse", and you would mostly find these
> trains in France. The ICE ("I-C-E") is a similarly
> fast train whose initials stand for the English words
> "Inter-City Express". In what country would you mostly
> find ICE trains?
Germany
> C3. In what country would you find the Shinkansen?
Japan

>D. Seas
>
> D1. Just south of Istanbul, forming part of the water
> boundary between the European and Asiatic parts of Turkey,
> is what sea about the size of Connecticut or Lebanon?
Black Sea
> D2. What large sea is a part of the Indian Ocean lying west
> of India and is about the same size as India?
>
> D3. This triangular sea forms a bay on the north side of the
> Black Sea. It is bounded on the west and south by
> Ukraine, including the Crimean Peninsula, and on the east
> by Russia, with the city of Rostov-on-Don at its head.
> It's about the size of Switzerland, or somewhat larger
> than Maryland. Name it.
Caspian Sea

>E. US Mountains
>
>For each question we will name a range or area of mountains that
>is located entirely in one US state, or nearly so, and you must
>name that state.
>
> E1. The Catskills.
> E2. The Poconos.
> E3. The Green Mountains.

Peter Smyth

Joachim Parsch

Nov 28, 2011, 5:39:02 AM11/28/11

Mark Brader schrieb:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-04-04,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days. For further information see
> my 2011-09-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI11, QFTCIMM)".
>
> I wrote 4 triples in this round.
>
> * Final, Round 7 - Geography
>
> A. Country Subdivisions
>
> A1. In the US they have states, in Canada provinces. What is
> the term for one of the corresponding units in Germany?
> Answer in German.

Bundesland.

> A2. What is the name for one of the units that Switzerland is
> divided into? More or less the same word is used in
> English, French, and German.

Kanton.

> A3. Russia is divided into several kinds of units, but we
> want the term for the most numerous kind -- there are
> more than 40 of them. For example, the Kaliningrad
> exclave is one of these. The Russian word for them is
> also used in English: what is it?
>
> B. Airports
>
> In each case we're asking for the major city served by the airport.
> For example, Toronto, not Mississauga.
>
> B1. What city is served by Toussaint Louverture International
> Airport?
>
> B2. What city is served by Jomo Kenyatta International
> Airport?
>
> B3. What city is served by an airport named for Frédéric
> Chopin?

Lyon.

> C. Trains
>
> C1. You would find the Canadian Pacific in Canada. In what
> country would you find the Indian Pacific?

USA.

> C2. TGV ("tay-zhay-vay") stands for the French words "Train
> à Grande Vitesse", and you would mostly find these
> trains in France. The ICE ("I-C-E") is a similarly
> fast train whose initials stand for the English words
> "Inter-City Express". In what country would you mostly
> find ICE trains?

Germany.

> C3. In what country would you find the Shinkansen?

Japan.

> D. Seas
>
> D1. Just south of Istanbul, forming part of the water
> boundary between the European and Asiatic parts of Turkey,
> is what sea about the size of Connecticut or Lebanon?

Sea of Marmara.

> D2. What large sea is a part of the Indian Ocean lying west
> of India and is about the same size as India?
>
> D3. This triangular sea forms a bay on the north side of the
> Black Sea. It is bounded on the west and south by
> Ukraine, including the Crimean Peninsula, and on the east
> by Russia, with the city of Rostov-on-Don at its head.
> It's about the size of Switzerland, or somewhat larger
> than Maryland. Name it.

Sea of Azov.

> E. US Mountains
>
> For each question we will name a range or area of mountains that
> is located entirely in one US state, or nearly so, and you must
> name that state.
>
> E1. The Catskills.
> E2. The Poconos.
> E3. The Green Mountains.

Vermont.

Joachim

Stan Brown

Nov 28, 2011, 8:19:43 AM11/28/11
On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 19:27:30 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> A1. In the US they have states, in Canada provinces. What is
> the term for one of the corresponding units in Germany?
> Answer in German.

Lander

> A2. What is the name for one of the units that Switzerland is
> divided into? More or less the same word is used in
> English, French, and German.

Canton

> A3. Russia is divided into several kinds of units, but we
> want the term for the most numerous kind -- there are
> more than 40 of them. For example, the Kaliningrad
> exclave is one of these. The Russian word for them is
> also used in English: what is it?

Oblast

> In each case we're asking for the major city served by the airport.
> For example, Toronto, not Mississauga.
>
> B1. What city is served by Toussaint Louverture International
> Airport?

Port-au-Prince

> B2. What city is served by Jomo Kenyatta International
> Airport?

Kinshasa

> B3. What city is served by an airport named for Frédéric
> Chopin?

Warsaw

> C1. You would find the Canadian Pacific in Canada. In what
> country would you find the Indian Pacific?

Australia

> C2. TGV ("tay-zhay-vay") stands for the French words "Train
> à Grande Vitesse", and you would mostly find these
> trains in France. The ICE ("I-C-E") is a similarly
> fast train whose initials stand for the English words
> "Inter-City Express". In what country would you mostly
> find ICE trains?

Germany

> C3. In what country would you find the Shinkansen?

Just from the name I'll guess Japan

> D1. Just south of Istanbul, forming part of the water
> boundary between the European and Asiatic parts of Turkey,
> is what sea about the size of Connecticut or Lebanon?

Marmara

> D2. What large sea is a part of the Indian Ocean lying west
> of India and is about the same size as India?

Arabian

> D3. This triangular sea forms a bay on the north side of the
> Black Sea. It is bounded on the west and south by
> Ukraine, including the Crimean Peninsula, and on the east
> by Russia, with the city of Rostov-on-Don at its head.
> It's about the size of Switzerland, or somewhat larger
> than Maryland. Name it.

Azov

> For each question we will name a range or area of mountains that
> is located entirely in one US state, or nearly so, and you must
> name that state.
>
> E1. The Catskills.

New York

> E2. The Poconos.

Pennsylvania

> E3. The Green Mountains.

Vermont (hence the name)

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Dan Blum

Nov 28, 2011, 10:21:56 AM11/28/11
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Final, Round 7 - Geography

> A. Country Subdivisions

> A1. In the US they have states, in Canada provinces. What is
> the term for one of the corresponding units in Germany?
> Answer in German.

Land

> A2. What is the name for one of the units that Switzerland is
> divided into? More or less the same word is used in
> English, French, and German.

canton

> A3. Russia is divided into several kinds of units, but we
> want the term for the most numerous kind -- there are
> more than 40 of them. For example, the Kaliningrad
> exclave is one of these. The Russian word for them is
> also used in English: what is it?

region; republic

> B. Airports

> In each case we're asking for the major city served by the airport.
> For example, Toronto, not Mississauga.

> B1. What city is served by Toussaint Louverture International
> Airport?

Port-au-Prince

> B2. What city is served by Jomo Kenyatta International
> Airport?

Nairobi

> B3. What city is served by an airport named for Fr?d?ric
> Chopin?

Warsaw; Krakow

> C. Trains

> C1. You would find the Canadian Pacific in Canada. In what
> country would you find the Indian Pacific?

Australia

> C2. TGV ("tay-zhay-vay") stands for the French words "Train
> ? Grande Vitesse", and you would mostly find these
> trains in France. The ICE ("I-C-E") is a similarly
> fast train whose initials stand for the English words
> "Inter-City Express". In what country would you mostly
> find ICE trains?

Germany

> C3. In what country would you find the Shinkansen?

Japan

> D. Seas

> D1. Just south of Istanbul, forming part of the water
> boundary between the European and Asiatic parts of Turkey,
> is what sea about the size of Connecticut or Lebanon?

Sea of Marmara

> D3. This triangular sea forms a bay on the north side of the
> Black Sea. It is bounded on the west and south by
> Ukraine, including the Crimean Peninsula, and on the east
> by Russia, with the city of Rostov-on-Don at its head.
> It's about the size of Switzerland, or somewhat larger
> than Maryland. Name it.

Sea of Azov

> E. US Mountains

> E1. The Catskills.

New York

> E2. The Poconos.

Pennsylvania

> E3. The Green Mountains.

Vermont

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Pete

Nov 28, 2011, 12:04:00 PM11/28/11
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-04-04,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days. For further information see
> my 2011-09-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI11, QFTCIMM)".
>
> I wrote 4 triples in this round.
>

> * Final, Round 7 - Geography
>
> A. Country Subdivisions
>
> A1. In the US they have states, in Canada provinces. What is
> the term for one of the corresponding units in Germany?
> Answer in German.

Staat

> A2. What is the name for one of the units that Switzerland is
> divided into? More or less the same word is used in
> English, French, and German.

Canton

> A3. Russia is divided into several kinds of units, but we
> want the term for the most numerous kind -- there are
> more than 40 of them. For example, the Kaliningrad
> exclave is one of these. The Russian word for them is
> also used in English: what is it?

Republik

> B. Airports
>
> In each case we're asking for the major city served by the airport.
> For example, Toronto, not Mississauga.
>
> B1. What city is served by Toussaint Louverture International
> Airport?

Port au Prince; Kinshasha

> B2. What city is served by Jomo Kenyatta International
> Airport?

Nairobi

> B3. What city is served by an airport named for Frédéric
> Chopin?

Warsaw

> C. Trains
>
> C1. You would find the Canadian Pacific in Canada. In what
> country would you find the Indian Pacific?

Australia

> C2. TGV ("tay-zhay-vay") stands for the French words "Train
> à Grande Vitesse", and you would mostly find these
> trains in France. The ICE ("I-C-E") is a similarly
> fast train whose initials stand for the English words
> "Inter-City Express". In what country would you mostly
> find ICE trains?

England

> C3. In what country would you find the Shinkansen?

Japan

> D. Seas
>
> D1. Just south of Istanbul, forming part of the water
> boundary between the European and Asiatic parts of Turkey,
> is what sea about the size of Connecticut or Lebanon?

Aegean

> D2. What large sea is a part of the Indian Ocean lying west
> of India and is about the same size as India?

Arabian

> D3. This triangular sea forms a bay on the north side of the
> Black Sea. It is bounded on the west and south by
> Ukraine, including the Crimean Peninsula, and on the east
> by Russia, with the city of Rostov-on-Don at its head.
> It's about the size of Switzerland, or somewhat larger
> than Maryland. Name it.
>

> E. US Mountains
>
> For each question we will name a range or area of mountains that
> is located entirely in one US state, or nearly so, and you must
> name that state.
>
> E1. The Catskills.

New York

> E2. The Poconos.

Pennsylvania

> E3. The Green Mountains.

Vermont

Pete

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 28, 2011, 5:48:17 PM11/28/11
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> A1. In the US they have states, in Canada provinces. What is
> the term for one of the corresponding units in Germany?
> Answer in German.

Bundesland

> A2. What is the name for one of the units that Switzerland is
> divided into? More or less the same word is used in
> English, French, and German.

Canton

> A3. Russia is divided into several kinds of units, but we
> want the term for the most numerous kind -- there are
> more than 40 of them. For example, the Kaliningrad
> exclave is one of these. The Russian word for them is
> also used in English: what is it?

Oblast

> B1. What city is served by Toussaint Louverture International
> Airport?

Port-au-Prince, Haïti

> B2. What city is served by Jomo Kenyatta International
> Airport?

Nairobi

> B3. What city is served by an airport named for Frédéric
> Chopin?

Warsaw

> C1. You would find the Canadian Pacific in Canada. In what
> country would you find the Indian Pacific?

Indonesia

> C2. TGV ("tay-zhay-vay") stands for the French words "Train
> à Grande Vitesse", and you would mostly find these
> trains in France. The ICE ("I-C-E") is a similarly
> fast train whose initials stand for the English words
> "Inter-City Express". In what country would you mostly
> find ICE trains?

Germany

(Tay-zhay-vay? If you ask for a ticket to that train in France, I don't
know where they will send you...)

> C3. In what country would you find the Shinkansen?

Japan

> D1. Just south of Istanbul, forming part of the water
> boundary between the European and Asiatic parts of Turkey,
> is what sea about the size of Connecticut or Lebanon?

Sea of Marmara

> D3. This triangular sea forms a bay on the north side of the
> Black Sea. It is bounded on the west and south by
> Ukraine, including the Crimean Peninsula, and on the east
> by Russia, with the city of Rostov-on-Don at its head.
> It's about the size of Switzerland, or somewhat larger
> than Maryland. Name it.

Sea of Azov

> E1. The Catskills.

North Carolina

> E2. The Poconos.

Nevada

> E3. The Green Mountains.

Oregon

Mark Brader

Nov 28, 2011, 6:02:03 PM11/28/11
Mark Brader:
> > C2. TGV ("tay-zhay-vay") stands for...

Erland Sommarskog:
> (Tay-zhay-vay? If you ask for a ticket to that train in France, I don't
> know where they will send you...)

Huh? Are you imagining "tay" pronounced as a French or Swedish person
might do it, or something?
--
Mark Brader | "Which baby is that? Oh, of course -- it must be
Toronto | the one that comes complete with bathwater."

Jeffrey Turner

Nov 28, 2011, 6:21:42 PM11/28/11
On 11/27/2011 8:27 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Final, Round 7 - Geography
>
> A. Country Subdivisions
>
> A1. In the US they have states, in Canada provinces. What is
> the term for one of the corresponding units in Germany?
> Answer in German.
>
> A2. What is the name for one of the units that Switzerland is
> divided into? More or less the same word is used in
> English, French, and German.

Canton

> A3. Russia is divided into several kinds of units, but we
> want the term for the most numerous kind -- there are
> more than 40 of them. For example, the Kaliningrad
> exclave is one of these. The Russian word for them is
> also used in English: what is it?
>

> B. Airports
>
> In each case we're asking for the major city served by the airport.
> For example, Toronto, not Mississauga.
>
> B1. What city is served by Toussaint Louverture International
> Airport?

Port au Prince

> B2. What city is served by Jomo Kenyatta International
> Airport?

Nairobi

> B3. What city is served by an airport named for Frédéric
> Chopin?

Warsaw

> C. Trains
>
> C1. You would find the Canadian Pacific in Canada. In what
> country would you find the Indian Pacific?

Australia

> C2. TGV ("tay-zhay-vay") stands for the French words "Train
> à Grande Vitesse", and you would mostly find these
> trains in France. The ICE ("I-C-E") is a similarly
> fast train whose initials stand for the English words
> "Inter-City Express". In what country would you mostly
> find ICE trains?
>
> C3. In what country would you find the Shinkansen?

Japan

> D. Seas
>
> D1. Just south of Istanbul, forming part of the water
> boundary between the European and Asiatic parts of Turkey,
> is what sea about the size of Connecticut or Lebanon?

Sea of Marmara

> D2. What large sea is a part of the Indian Ocean lying west
> of India and is about the same size as India?

Arabian Sea

> D3. This triangular sea forms a bay on the north side of the
> Black Sea. It is bounded on the west and south by
> Ukraine, including the Crimean Peninsula, and on the east
> by Russia, with the city of Rostov-on-Don at its head.
> It's about the size of Switzerland, or somewhat larger
> than Maryland. Name it.
>

> E. US Mountains
>
> For each question we will name a range or area of mountains that
> is located entirely in one US state, or nearly so, and you must
> name that state.
>
> E1. The Catskills.

New York

> E2. The Poconos.

Pennsylvania

> E3. The Green Mountains.

Vermont (Obvious if you know French.)

--Jeff

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 29, 2011, 3:29:30 AM11/29/11
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Erland Sommarskog:
>> (Tay-zhay-vay? If you ask for a ticket to that train in France, I don't
>> know where they will send you...)
>
> Huh? Are you imagining "tay" pronounced as a French or Swedish person
> might do it, or something?

All I can say that it makes perfect nonsense. English is a completely
hopeless language to be used to indicate pronounciation. For instance, I
would interpret "ay" to be a diphtong, but there is no diphtong in
[te:Ze:Ve:].

A good source for how to indicate pronounciation in an understandable and
accurate way can be found on
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Evan_Kirshenbaum/IPA/faq.html

Mark Brader

Nov 29, 2011, 11:06:58 AM11/29/11
Erland Sommarskog:
>>> (Tay-zhay-vay? If you ask for a ticket to that train in France, I don't
>>> know where they will send you...)

> All I can say that it makes perfect nonsense. English is a completely
> hopeless language to be used to indicate pronounciation.

And yet we manage.

> For instance, I would interpret "ay" to be a diphtong, but there is
> no diphtong in [te:Ze:Ve:].

Of course there isn't, but the idea is to make it understandability for
English-speakers, who don't respect that difference.

> A good source for how to indicate pronounciation in an understandable and
> accurate way can be found on
> http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Evan_Kirshenbaum/IPA/faq.html

Bah. No system that uses "a" to represent an O-sound and "o" to represent
an A-sound qualifies as understandable.
--
Mark Brader | "A man's vehicle is a symbol of his manhood. That's why
Toronto | my vehicle's the Piccadilly Line - It's the size of a county

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 29, 2011, 5:26:03 PM11/29/11
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Of course there isn't, but the idea is to make it understandability for
> English-speakers, who don't respect that difference.

I guess for English speakers, the simplest is to say [TI:dZI:VI:] and be
done with it.

>> A good source for how to indicate pronounciation in an understandable and
>> accurate way can be found on
>> http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Evan_Kirshenbaum/IPA/faq.html
>
> Bah. No system that uses "a" to represent an O-sound and "o" to represent
> an A-sound qualifies as understandable.

Not sure where you find these. /a/ and /A/ in ASCII-IPA are both fully
open vowels, and this is also the standard usage of this letter in
langauages using any of the Latin, Greek or Cyrillic scripts.

In the same vein, /o/ and /O/ stands for half-open, or half-closed rounded
back vowels, which also is the default meaning for this letter.

Nonewithstanding that there certainly are exceptions in both cases.

Mark Brader

Dec 1, 2011, 1:14:33 AM12/1/11
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-04-04,
> see my 2011-09-22 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI11, QFTCIMM)".

> I wrote 4 triples in this round.

I wrote all except B.

> * Final, Round 7 - Geography

> A. Country Subdivisions

> A1. In the US they have states, in Canada provinces. What is
> the term for one of the corresponding units in Germany?
> Answer in German.

Land (or Bundesland). 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Joachim, Dan Blum,
and Erland. 3 for Stephen (the hard way), Peter, and Stan.

> A2. What is the name for one of the units that Switzerland is
> divided into? More or less the same word is used in
> English, French, and German.

Canton (or in German, Kanton). 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Marc,
Peter, Joachim, Stan, Dan Blum, Pete, Erland, and Jeff. 3 for Calvin
and Stephen.

> A3. Russia is divided into several kinds of units, but we
> want the term for the most numerous kind -- there are
> more than 40 of them. For example, the Kaliningrad
> exclave is one of these. The Russian word for them is
> also used in English: what is it?

Oblast. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Marc, Peter, Stan, and Erland.
2 for Stephen.

> B. Airports

> In each case we're asking for the major city served by the airport.
> For example, Toronto, not Mississauga.

> B1. What city is served by Toussaint Louverture International
> Airport?

Port-au-Prince (Haiti). 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Stan, Dan Blum,
Erland, and Jeff. 3 for Pete.

> B2. What city is served by Jomo Kenyatta International
> Airport?

Nairobi (Kenya). 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Tilque, Marc, Dan Blum,
Pete, Erland, and Jeff. 3 for Calvin.

> B3. What city is served by an airport named for Frédéric
> Chopin?

Warsaw (Poland). 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Marc, Stan, Pete, Erland,
and Jeff. 3 for Calvin and Dan Blum.

> C. Trains

> C1. You would find the Canadian Pacific in Canada. In what
> country would you find the Indian Pacific?

Australia. (It connects the two eponymous oceans.) 4 for Calvin,
Stephen, Stan, Dan Blum, Pete, and Jeff.

> C2. TGV ("tay-zhay-vay") stands for the French words "Train
> à Grande Vitesse", and you would mostly find these
> trains in France. The ICE ("I-C-E") is a similarly
> fast train whose initials stand for the English words
> "Inter-City Express". In what country would you mostly
> find ICE trains?

Germany. 4 for Stephen, Peter, Joachim, Stan, Dan Blum, and Erland.
2 for Calvin.

> C3. In what country would you find the Shinkansen?

Japan. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Tilque, Marc, Peter, Joachim,
Stan, Dan Blum, Pete, Erland, and Jeff.

> D. Seas

> D1. Just south of Istanbul, forming part of the water
> boundary between the European and Asiatic parts of Turkey,
> is what sea about the size of Connecticut or Lebanon?

Sea of Marmara. 4 for Joshua, Calvin, Stephen, Dan Tilque, Joachim,
Stan, Dan Blum, Erland, and Jeff.

> D2. What large sea is a part of the Indian Ocean lying west
> of India and is about the same size as India?

Arabian Sea. 4 for Joshua, Calvin, Stephen, Dan Tilque, Marc, Stan,
Pete, and Jeff.

> D3. This triangular sea forms a bay on the north side of the
> Black Sea. It is bounded on the west and south by
> Ukraine, including the Crimean Peninsula, and on the east
> by Russia, with the city of Rostov-on-Don at its head.
> It's about the size of Switzerland, or somewhat larger
> than Maryland. Name it.

Sea of Azov. 4 for Calvin, Stephen, Dan Tilque, Marc, Joachim,
Stan, Dan Blum, and Erland.

> E. US Mountains

> For each question we will name a range or area of mountains that
> is located entirely in one US state, or nearly so, and you must
> name that state.

> E1. The Catskills.

New York. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Tilque, Marc, Stan, Dan Blum,
Pete, and Jeff.

> E2. The Poconos.

Pennsylvania. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Dan Tilque, Marc, Stan,
Dan Blum, Pete, and Jeff.

> E3. The Green Mountains.

Vermont -- hence the name, as several entrants noted. 4 for Joshua,
Calvin, Stephen, Dan Tilque, Marc, Joachim, Stan, Dan Blum, Pete,
and Jeff.

Scores, if there are no errors:

ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 BEST
TOPICS-> Sci His Spo Lit Geo THREE
Joshua Kreitzer 43 46 50 38 48 144
Dan Blum 51 33 30 -- 51 135
Stan Brown 39 38 -- -- 55 132
Dan Tilque 47 36 28 -- 44 127
Marc Dashevsky 44 16 36 20 40 120
Stephen Perry -- -- -- 60 56 116
Jeff Turner 42 -- 28 -- 44 114
Pete Gayde 28 28 43 -- 39 110
Peter Smyth 43 21 23 -- 19 87
Erland Sommarskog 27 20 4 8 40 87
"Calvin" 31 15 -- 12 31 77
Rob Parker 56 18 -- -- -- 74
Joachim Parsch 32 -- 8 -- 28 68

--
Mark Brader | ...I'm comfortably ensconced with a warm newsgroup
Toronto | so I'm asking the assembled multitude here...