QFTCIMI515 Game 10, Rounds 2-3: convicts and servants

Mark Brader

Jun 25, 2015, 6:36:20 PM6/25/15
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-03-23,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days (from the first posting).

All questions were written by members of MI5, and are used here by
permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2015-02-23
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 10, Round 2 - History - Famous Convicts

1. Who was sentenced to life in prison on 1895-01-05, and sent to
Devil's Island?

2. Which Boer War correspondent for the London Morning Post landed
in a Pretoria prison in 1899?

3. Who was sentenced to 2 years of hard labor at Reading Gaol
("redding jail") in 1895?

4. Which writer was sent to a sharashka -- an intellectual slave
labor camp -- in 1945?

5. Who started refusing food and water in the Maze Prison on
1981-03-01?

6. From which prison were four forgers, two "lunatics", and one
"deviant" aristocrat, the Comte de Solages, suddenly released?

7. "I ain't got no quarrel with them Viet Cong." Who was sentenced
to 5 years in jail -- which in the end he did not serve --
for sticking to those sentiments?

8. What singer-songwriter, who lived for a time at Beach Boy
Dennis Wilson's house, was convicted in 1971 of conspiracy to
commit murders and has been imprisoned ever since?

9. Which newsworthy figure was released from the Federal
Correctional Institution in Miami on 2012-05-04?

10. Which newsworthy figure was released from the Federal Prison
Camp in Alderson, West Virginia, at 12:30 am on 2005-03-04?

* Game 10, Round 3 - Literature - Famous Servants in Literature

1. In this 1987 novel by Kazuo Ishiguro, a butler named Stevens
is the embodiment of the old-fashioned career manservant:
loyal, deferential, unquestioning. Name the novel.

2. In the hilarious works of P.G. Wodehouse, this valet is
incredibly bright and well-spoken, and helps his congenial but
dim master out of many a scrape. Who is this valet?

3. Sam Weller is one of the most popular characters in the first
novel by Dickens. He is the Cockney valet to the title
character, and is quick of wit and tongue. His comments are
hilarious and were called "Wellerisms". Name the novel.

4. Grace Poole is a stout, middle-aged seamstress who works as
a servant at Thornfield Hall, and is secretly the nursemaid
and guard for the insane Bertha Mason. Name the novel.

5. The servant Lee is an intellectual who cleverly deals with
anti-Asian prejudice in the American West at the turn of the
20th century. He serves as a surrogate father to the Trask
sons when their father is traumatized by a disastrous marriage.
Name the novel.

6. This character is Scarlett O'Hara's childhood nurse in "Gone
with the Wind". She is an old, heavyset slave who is loyal
and well versed in Southern etiquette. Name her.

7. Sam Farrow is Charles Smithson's Cockney servant, who aspires
to become a haberdasher. In what John Fowles novel is Sam
Farrow found?

8. Preserved Killick is Jack Aubrey's shrewish steward, a highly
valued, fiercely loyal, and well-respected member of his
ship's crew. He appears in all 19 books of a seafaring series
by what author?

9. Robinson Crusoe rescues a captive about to be eaten by cannibals,
names him Friday, and uses him as a servant. He teaches Friday
English and convinces him that cannibalism is wrong. Who wrote
"Robinson Crusoe"?

10. This character acts as squire to Don Quixote and throughout
the novel provides comments that are a combination of broad
humor, ironic Spanish proverbs, and earthy wit. Name him.

--
Mark Brader | "Warning! Drinking beer, wine or spirits during
Toronto | pregnancy can harm your baby." (City of Toronto

Calvin

Jun 25, 2015, 7:14:38 PM6/25/15
On Friday, June 26, 2015 at 8:36:20 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 2 - History - Famous Convicts
>
> 1. Who was sentenced to life in prison on 1895-01-05, and sent to
> Devil's Island?
>
> 2. Which Boer War correspondent for the London Morning Post landed
> in a Pretoria prison in 1899?

Churchill

> 3. Who was sentenced to 2 years of hard labor at Reading Gaol
> ("redding jail") in 1895?

Wilde

> 4. Which writer was sent to a sharashka -- an intellectual slave
> labor camp -- in 1945?

Solzhenitsyn, Gandhi

> 5. Who started refusing food and water in the Maze Prison on
> 1981-03-01?
>
> 6. From which prison were four forgers, two "lunatics", and one
> "deviant" aristocrat, the Comte de Solages, suddenly released?

Bastille

> 7. "I ain't got no quarrel with them Viet Cong." Who was sentenced
> to 5 years in jail -- which in the end he did not serve --
> for sticking to those sentiments?

Ali

> 8. What singer-songwriter, who lived for a time at Beach Boy
> Dennis Wilson's house, was convicted in 1971 of conspiracy to
> commit murders and has been imprisoned ever since?

Gaye

> 9. Which newsworthy figure was released from the Federal
> Correctional Institution in Miami on 2012-05-04?
>
> 10. Which newsworthy figure was released from the Federal Prison
> Camp in Alderson, West Virginia, at 12:30 am on 2005-03-04?
>

> * Game 10, Round 3 - Literature - Famous Servants in Literature
>
> 1. In this 1987 novel by Kazuo Ishiguro, a butler named Stevens
> is the embodiment of the old-fashioned career manservant:
> loyal, deferential, unquestioning. Name the novel.

The Remains of the Day

> 2. In the hilarious works of P.G. Wodehouse, this valet is
> incredibly bright and well-spoken, and helps his congenial but
> dim master out of many a scrape. Who is this valet?

Reggie Jeeves

> 3. Sam Weller is one of the most popular characters in the first
> novel by Dickens. He is the Cockney valet to the title
> character, and is quick of wit and tongue. His comments are
> hilarious and were called "Wellerisms". Name the novel.

The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club

> 4. Grace Poole is a stout, middle-aged seamstress who works as
> a servant at Thornfield Hall, and is secretly the nursemaid
> and guard for the insane Bertha Mason. Name the novel.

Jane Eyre

> 5. The servant Lee is an intellectual who cleverly deals with
> anti-Asian prejudice in the American West at the turn of the
> 20th century. He serves as a surrogate father to the Trask
> sons when their father is traumatized by a disastrous marriage.
> Name the novel.
>
> 6. This character is Scarlett O'Hara's childhood nurse in "Gone
> with the Wind". She is an old, heavyset slave who is loyal
> and well versed in Southern etiquette. Name her.
>
> 7. Sam Farrow is Charles Smithson's Cockney servant, who aspires
> to become a haberdasher. In what John Fowles novel is Sam
> Farrow found?
>
> 8. Preserved Killick is Jack Aubrey's shrewish steward, a highly
> valued, fiercely loyal, and well-respected member of his
> ship's crew. He appears in all 19 books of a seafaring series
> by what author?
>
> 9. Robinson Crusoe rescues a captive about to be eaten by cannibals,
> names him Friday, and uses him as a servant. He teaches Friday
> English and convinces him that cannibalism is wrong. Who wrote
> "Robinson Crusoe"?

Stevenson

> 10. This character acts as squire to Don Quixote and throughout
> the novel provides comments that are a combination of broad
> humor, ironic Spanish proverbs, and earthy wit. Name him.

Sancho Panza

cheers,
calvin

Dan Blum

Jun 25, 2015, 7:47:17 PM6/25/15
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 2 - History - Famous Convicts

> 1. Who was sentenced to life in prison on 1895-01-05, and sent to
> Devil's Island?

Dreyfus

> 2. Which Boer War correspondent for the London Morning Post landed
> in a Pretoria prison in 1899?

Winston Churchill

> 3. Who was sentenced to 2 years of hard labor at Reading Gaol
> ("redding jail") in 1895?

Oscar Wilde

> 4. Which writer was sent to a sharashka -- an intellectual slave
> labor camp -- in 1945?

Solzhenitsyn

> 6. From which prison were four forgers, two "lunatics", and one
> "deviant" aristocrat, the Comte de Solages, suddenly released?

Chateau d'If

> 7. "I ain't got no quarrel with them Viet Cong." Who was sentenced
> to 5 years in jail -- which in the end he did not serve --
> for sticking to those sentiments?

Muhammed Ali

> 8. What singer-songwriter, who lived for a time at Beach Boy
> Dennis Wilson's house, was convicted in 1971 of conspiracy to
> commit murders and has been imprisoned ever since?

Charles Manson

> 9. Which newsworthy figure was released from the Federal
> Correctional Institution in Miami on 2012-05-04?

Traficant

> * Game 10, Round 3 - Literature - Famous Servants in Literature

> 1. In this 1987 novel by Kazuo Ishiguro, a butler named Stevens
> is the embodiment of the old-fashioned career manservant:
> loyal, deferential, unquestioning. Name the novel.

The Remains of the Day

> 2. In the hilarious works of P.G. Wodehouse, this valet is
> incredibly bright and well-spoken, and helps his congenial but
> dim master out of many a scrape. Who is this valet?

Jeeves

> 3. Sam Weller is one of the most popular characters in the first
> novel by Dickens. He is the Cockney valet to the title
> character, and is quick of wit and tongue. His comments are
> hilarious and were called "Wellerisms". Name the novel.

Martin Chuzzlewit; The Pickwick Papers

> 4. Grace Poole is a stout, middle-aged seamstress who works as
> a servant at Thornfield Hall, and is secretly the nursemaid
> and guard for the insane Bertha Mason. Name the novel.

Jane Eyre

> 7. Sam Farrow is Charles Smithson's Cockney servant, who aspires
> to become a haberdasher. In what John Fowles novel is Sam
> Farrow found?

The Ebony Tower; The Magus

> 8. Preserved Killick is Jack Aubrey's shrewish steward, a highly
> valued, fiercely loyal, and well-respected member of his
> ship's crew. He appears in all 19 books of a seafaring series
> by what author?

Patrick O'Brian

> 9. Robinson Crusoe rescues a captive about to be eaten by cannibals,
> names him Friday, and uses him as a servant. He teaches Friday
> English and convinces him that cannibalism is wrong. Who wrote
> "Robinson Crusoe"?

Daniel Defoe

> 10. This character acts as squire to Don Quixote and throughout
> the novel provides comments that are a combination of broad
> humor, ironic Spanish proverbs, and earthy wit. Name him.

Sancho Panza

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Jun 26, 2015, 1:09:35 AM6/26/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:U8udnUy7C6z5HxHInZ2dnUU7-
WGd...@vex.net:

> * Game 10, Round 2 - History - Famous Convicts
>
> 1. Who was sentenced to life in prison on 1895-01-05, and sent to
> Devil's Island?

Alfred Dreyfus

> 2. Which Boer War correspondent for the London Morning Post landed
> in a Pretoria prison in 1899?

Winston Churchill

> 3. Who was sentenced to 2 years of hard labor at Reading Gaol
> ("redding jail") in 1895?

Oscar Wilde

> 4. Which writer was sent to a sharashka -- an intellectual slave
> labor camp -- in 1945?

Alexander Solzhenitsyn (?)

> 5. Who started refusing food and water in the Maze Prison on
> 1981-03-01?

Bobby Sands

> 6. From which prison were four forgers, two "lunatics", and one
> "deviant" aristocrat, the Comte de Solages, suddenly released?

Bastille

> 7. "I ain't got no quarrel with them Viet Cong." Who was sentenced
> to 5 years in jail -- which in the end he did not serve --
> for sticking to those sentiments?

Muhammad Ali

> 8. What singer-songwriter, who lived for a time at Beach Boy
> Dennis Wilson's house, was convicted in 1971 of conspiracy to
> commit murders and has been imprisoned ever since?

Charles Mnason

> 9. Which newsworthy figure was released from the Federal
> Correctional Institution in Miami on 2012-05-04?

Noriega

> * Game 10, Round 3 - Literature - Famous Servants in Literature
>
> 1. In this 1987 novel by Kazuo Ishiguro, a butler named Stevens
> is the embodiment of the old-fashioned career manservant:
> loyal, deferential, unquestioning. Name the novel.

"The Remains of the Day"

> 2. In the hilarious works of P.G. Wodehouse, this valet is
> incredibly bright and well-spoken, and helps his congenial but
> dim master out of many a scrape. Who is this valet?

Jeeves

> 3. Sam Weller is one of the most popular characters in the first
> novel by Dickens. He is the Cockney valet to the title
> character, and is quick of wit and tongue. His comments are
> hilarious and were called "Wellerisms". Name the novel.

"The Pickwick Papers"

> 5. The servant Lee is an intellectual who cleverly deals with
> anti-Asian prejudice in the American West at the turn of the
> 20th century. He serves as a surrogate father to the Trask
> sons when their father is traumatized by a disastrous marriage.
> Name the novel.

"East of Eden"

> 6. This character is Scarlett O'Hara's childhood nurse in "Gone
> with the Wind". She is an old, heavyset slave who is loyal
> and well versed in Southern etiquette. Name her.

Mammy

> 7. Sam Farrow is Charles Smithson's Cockney servant, who aspires
> to become a haberdasher. In what John Fowles novel is Sam
> Farrow found?

"The French Lieutenant's Woman"

> 8. Preserved Killick is Jack Aubrey's shrewish steward, a highly
> valued, fiercely loyal, and well-respected member of his
> ship's crew. He appears in all 19 books of a seafaring series
> by what author?

Patrick O'Brien

> 9. Robinson Crusoe rescues a captive about to be eaten by cannibals,
> names him Friday, and uses him as a servant. He teaches Friday
> English and convinces him that cannibalism is wrong. Who wrote
> "Robinson Crusoe"?

Daniel Dafoe

> 10. This character acts as squire to Don Quixote and throughout
> the novel provides comments that are a combination of broad
> humor, ironic Spanish proverbs, and earthy wit. Name him.

Sancho Panza

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Marc Dashevsky

Jun 26, 2015, 5:08:20 AM6/26/15
In article <U8udnUy7C6z5HxHI...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 10, Round 2 - History - Famous Convicts
>
> 1. Who was sentenced to life in prison on 1895-01-05, and sent to
> Devil's Island?
Alfred Dreyfus

> 2. Which Boer War correspondent for the London Morning Post landed
> in a Pretoria prison in 1899?
Winston Churchill

> 3. Who was sentenced to 2 years of hard labor at Reading Gaol
> ("redding jail") in 1895?
>
> 4. Which writer was sent to a sharashka -- an intellectual slave
> labor camp -- in 1945?
Solzhyitsyn

> 5. Who started refusing food and water in the Maze Prison on
> 1981-03-01?
I forgot his name

> 6. From which prison were four forgers, two "lunatics", and one
> "deviant" aristocrat, the Comte de Solages, suddenly released?
la Bastille

> 7. "I ain't got no quarrel with them Viet Cong." Who was sentenced
> to 5 years in jail -- which in the end he did not serve --
> for sticking to those sentiments?
Muhammed Ali

> 8. What singer-songwriter, who lived for a time at Beach Boy
> Dennis Wilson's house, was convicted in 1971 of conspiracy to
> commit murders and has been imprisoned ever since?
Charles Manson

> 9. Which newsworthy figure was released from the Federal
> Correctional Institution in Miami on 2012-05-04?
>
> 10. Which newsworthy figure was released from the Federal Prison
> Camp in Alderson, West Virginia, at 12:30 am on 2005-03-04?
>

> * Game 10, Round 3 - Literature - Famous Servants in Literature
>
> 1. In this 1987 novel by Kazuo Ishiguro, a butler named Stevens
> is the embodiment of the old-fashioned career manservant:
> loyal, deferential, unquestioning. Name the novel.
Remains of the Day

> 2. In the hilarious works of P.G. Wodehouse, this valet is
> incredibly bright and well-spoken, and helps his congenial but
> dim master out of many a scrape. Who is this valet?
Jeeves

> 3. Sam Weller is one of the most popular characters in the first
> novel by Dickens. He is the Cockney valet to the title
> character, and is quick of wit and tongue. His comments are
> hilarious and were called "Wellerisms". Name the novel.
>
> 4. Grace Poole is a stout, middle-aged seamstress who works as
> a servant at Thornfield Hall, and is secretly the nursemaid
> and guard for the insane Bertha Mason. Name the novel.
>
> 5. The servant Lee is an intellectual who cleverly deals with
> anti-Asian prejudice in the American West at the turn of the
> 20th century. He serves as a surrogate father to the Trask
> sons when their father is traumatized by a disastrous marriage.
> Name the novel.
>
> 6. This character is Scarlett O'Hara's childhood nurse in "Gone
> with the Wind". She is an old, heavyset slave who is loyal
> and well versed in Southern etiquette. Name her.
Mammy

> 7. Sam Farrow is Charles Smithson's Cockney servant, who aspires
> to become a haberdasher. In what John Fowles novel is Sam
> Farrow found?
French Lieutenant's Woman

> 8. Preserved Killick is Jack Aubrey's shrewish steward, a highly
> valued, fiercely loyal, and well-respected member of his
> ship's crew. He appears in all 19 books of a seafaring series
> by what author?
>
> 9. Robinson Crusoe rescues a captive about to be eaten by cannibals,
> names him Friday, and uses him as a servant. He teaches Friday
> English and convinces him that cannibalism is wrong. Who wrote
> "Robinson Crusoe"?
Daniel Defoe

> 10. This character acts as squire to Don Quixote and throughout
> the novel provides comments that are a combination of broad
> humor, ironic Spanish proverbs, and earthy wit. Name him.
Sancho Panza

Peter Smyth

Jun 26, 2015, 3:19:25 PM6/26/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-03-23,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days (from the first posting).
>
> All questions were written by members of MI5, and are used here by
> permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2015-02-23
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 10, Round 2 - History - Famous Convicts
>
> 1. Who was sentenced to life in prison on 1895-01-05, and sent to
> Devil's Island?
>
> 2. Which Boer War correspondent for the London Morning Post landed
> in a Pretoria prison in 1899?
>
> 3. Who was sentenced to 2 years of hard labor at Reading Gaol
> ("redding jail") in 1895?
Oscar Wilde
> 4. Which writer was sent to a sharashka -- an intellectual slave
> labor camp -- in 1945?
Dostoevsky
> 5. Who started refusing food and water in the Maze Prison on
> 1981-03-01?
Bobby Sands
> 6. From which prison were four forgers, two "lunatics", and one
> "deviant" aristocrat, the Comte de Solages, suddenly released?
>
> 7. "I ain't got no quarrel with them Viet Cong." Who was sentenced
> to 5 years in jail -- which in the end he did not serve --
> for sticking to those sentiments?
Muhammad Ali
> 8. What singer-songwriter, who lived for a time at Beach Boy
> Dennis Wilson's house, was convicted in 1971 of conspiracy to
> commit murders and has been imprisoned ever since?
>
> 9. Which newsworthy figure was released from the Federal
> Correctional Institution in Miami on 2012-05-04?
Martha Stewart
> 10. Which newsworthy figure was released from the Federal Prison
> Camp in Alderson, West Virginia, at 12:30 am on 2005-03-04?
Martha Stewart

> * Game 10, Round 3 - Literature - Famous Servants in Literature
>
> 1. In this 1987 novel by Kazuo Ishiguro, a butler named Stevens
> is the embodiment of the old-fashioned career manservant:
> loyal, deferential, unquestioning. Name the novel.
>
> 2. In the hilarious works of P.G. Wodehouse, this valet is
> incredibly bright and well-spoken, and helps his congenial but
> dim master out of many a scrape. Who is this valet?
Jeeves
Daniel Defoe
> 10. This character acts as squire to Don Quixote and throughout
> the novel provides comments that are a combination of broad
> humor, ironic Spanish proverbs, and earthy wit. Name him.

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 26, 2015, 4:41:05 PM6/26/15
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 10, Round 3 - Literature - Famous Servants in Literature
>
> 2. In the hilarious works of P.G. Wodehouse, this valet is
> incredibly bright and well-spoken, and helps his congenial but
> dim master out of many a scrape. Who is this valet?

Jeeves

> 9. Robinson Crusoe rescues a captive about to be eaten by cannibals,
> names him Friday, and uses him as a servant. He teaches Friday
> English and convinces him that cannibalism is wrong. Who wrote
> "Robinson Crusoe"?

Defoe

Jason Kreitzer

Jun 26, 2015, 5:30:41 PM6/26/15
On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 6:36:20 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-03-23,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days (from the first posting).
>
> All questions were written by members of MI5, and are used here by
> permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2015-02-23
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 10, Round 2 - History - Famous Convicts
>
> 1. Who was sentenced to life in prison on 1895-01-05, and sent to
> Devil's Island?
Papillon?

> 2. Which Boer War correspondent for the London Morning Post landed
> in a Pretoria prison in 1899?
>
> 3. Who was sentenced to 2 years of hard labor at Reading Gaol
> ("redding jail") in 1895?
>
> 4. Which writer was sent to a sharashka -- an intellectual slave
> labor camp -- in 1945?
>
> 5. Who started refusing food and water in the Maze Prison on
> 1981-03-01?
>
> 6. From which prison were four forgers, two "lunatics", and one
> "deviant" aristocrat, the Comte de Solages, suddenly released?
The Bastille.
> 7. "I ain't got no quarrel with them Viet Cong." Who was sentenced
> to 5 years in jail -- which in the end he did not serve --
> for sticking to those sentiments?
Muhammad Ali
> 8. What singer-songwriter, who lived for a time at Beach Boy
> Dennis Wilson's house, was convicted in 1971 of conspiracy to
> commit murders and has been imprisoned ever since?
Charles Manson
> 9. Which newsworthy figure was released from the Federal
> Correctional Institution in Miami on 2012-05-04?
>
> 10. Which newsworthy figure was released from the Federal Prison
> Camp in Alderson, West Virginia, at 12:30 am on 2005-03-04?
>

> * Game 10, Round 3 - Literature - Famous Servants in Literature
>
> 1. In this 1987 novel by Kazuo Ishiguro, a butler named Stevens
> is the embodiment of the old-fashioned career manservant:
> loyal, deferential, unquestioning. Name the novel.
>
> 2. In the hilarious works of P.G. Wodehouse, this valet is
> incredibly bright and well-spoken, and helps his congenial but
> dim master out of many a scrape. Who is this valet?
Jeeves
Daniel DeFoe
> 10. This character acts as squire to Don Quixote and throughout
> the novel provides comments that are a combination of broad
> humor, ironic Spanish proverbs, and earthy wit. Name him.
Sancho Panza

Dan Tilque

Jun 27, 2015, 4:58:09 AM6/27/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 2 - History - Famous Convicts
>
> 1. Who was sentenced to life in prison on 1895-01-05, and sent to
> Devil's Island?

Dreyfus

> 2. Which Boer War correspondent for the London Morning Post landed
> in a Pretoria prison in 1899?

Churchill

> 3. Who was sentenced to 2 years of hard labor at Reading Gaol
> ("redding jail") in 1895?

Oscar Wilde

> 4. Which writer was sent to a sharashka -- an intellectual slave
> labor camp -- in 1945?

Solzhenitsyn

> 5. Who started refusing food and water in the Maze Prison on
> 1981-03-01?

Mandela

> 6. From which prison were four forgers, two "lunatics", and one
> "deviant" aristocrat, the Comte de Solages, suddenly released?

la Bastille

> 7. "I ain't got no quarrel with them Viet Cong." Who was sentenced
> to 5 years in jail -- which in the end he did not serve --
> for sticking to those sentiments?

Cassius Clay

> 8. What singer-songwriter, who lived for a time at Beach Boy
> Dennis Wilson's house, was convicted in 1971 of conspiracy to
> commit murders and has been imprisoned ever since?
>
> 9. Which newsworthy figure was released from the Federal
> Correctional Institution in Miami on 2012-05-04?

Noriega

> 10. Which newsworthy figure was released from the Federal Prison
> Camp in Alderson, West Virginia, at 12:30 am on 2005-03-04?
>

> * Game 10, Round 3 - Literature - Famous Servants in Literature
>
> 1. In this 1987 novel by Kazuo Ishiguro, a butler named Stevens
> is the embodiment of the old-fashioned career manservant:
> loyal, deferential, unquestioning. Name the novel.
>
> 2. In the hilarious works of P.G. Wodehouse, this valet is
> incredibly bright and well-spoken, and helps his congenial but
> dim master out of many a scrape. Who is this valet?

Jeeves

> 3. Sam Weller is one of the most popular characters in the first
> novel by Dickens. He is the Cockney valet to the title
> character, and is quick of wit and tongue. His comments are
> hilarious and were called "Wellerisms". Name the novel.
>
> 4. Grace Poole is a stout, middle-aged seamstress who works as
> a servant at Thornfield Hall, and is secretly the nursemaid
> and guard for the insane Bertha Mason. Name the novel.
>
> 5. The servant Lee is an intellectual who cleverly deals with
> anti-Asian prejudice in the American West at the turn of the
> 20th century. He serves as a surrogate father to the Trask
> sons when their father is traumatized by a disastrous marriage.
> Name the novel.
>
> 6. This character is Scarlett O'Hara's childhood nurse in "Gone
> with the Wind". She is an old, heavyset slave who is loyal
> and well versed in Southern etiquette. Name her.

Mammy

> 7. Sam Farrow is Charles Smithson's Cockney servant, who aspires
> to become a haberdasher. In what John Fowles novel is Sam
> Farrow found?
>
> 8. Preserved Killick is Jack Aubrey's shrewish steward, a highly
> valued, fiercely loyal, and well-respected member of his
> ship's crew. He appears in all 19 books of a seafaring series
> by what author?
>
> 9. Robinson Crusoe rescues a captive about to be eaten by cannibals,
> names him Friday, and uses him as a servant. He teaches Friday
> English and convinces him that cannibalism is wrong. Who wrote
> "Robinson Crusoe"?

Dafoe

> 10. This character acts as squire to Don Quixote and throughout
> the novel provides comments that are a combination of broad
> humor, ironic Spanish proverbs, and earthy wit. Name him.

Sancho Panza

--
Dan Tilque

Björn Lundin

Jun 27, 2015, 12:07:32 PM6/27/15
On 2015-06-26 00:36, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-03-23,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days (from the first posting).
>
> All questions were written by members of MI5, and are used here by
> permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2015-02-23
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 10, Round 2 - History - Famous Convicts
>
> 1. Who was sentenced to life in prison on 1895-01-05, and sent to
> Devil's Island?

Dreyfuss

> 2. Which Boer War correspondent for the London Morning Post landed
> in a Pretoria prison in 1899?

Winston Churchill

> 5. Who started refusing food and water in the Maze Prison on
> 1981-03-01?

Nelson Mandela?

> * Game 10, Round 3 - Literature - Famous Servants in Literature
>
> 2. In the hilarious works of P.G. Wodehouse, this valet is
> incredibly bright and well-spoken, and helps his congenial but
> dim master out of many a scrape. Who is this valet?

Jeeves

> 9. Robinson Crusoe rescues a captive about to be eaten by cannibals,
> names him Friday, and uses him as a servant. He teaches Friday
> English and convinces him that cannibalism is wrong. Who wrote
> "Robinson Crusoe"?

Dafoe

> 10. This character acts as squire to Don Quixote and throughout
> the novel provides comments that are a combination of broad
> humor, ironic Spanish proverbs, and earthy wit. Name him.

Pancho

Björn

Mark Brader

Jun 28, 2015, 7:56:03 PM6/28/15
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-03-23,
> see my 2015-02-23 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 10, Round 2 - History - Famous Convicts

> 1. Who was sentenced to life in prison on 1895-01-05, and sent to
> Devil's Island?

Alfred Dreyfus. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc, Dan Tilque, and Björn.

He was not guilty, but the men responsible for the prosecution ignored
the evidence showing this. Neither they nor the real guilty party
were ever punished. Dreyfus was pardoned and freed in late 1899,
after effectively spending the entire period on Devil's Island
in solitary confinement; but he wasn't not officially exonerated
until 1906.

Robert Harris has novelized the history of this sad case under the
title "An Officer and a Spy". Recommended reading.

> 2. Which Boer War correspondent for the London Morning Post landed
> in a Pretoria prison in 1899?

Winston Churchill. 4 for Calvin, Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc, Dan Tilque,
and Björn.

> 3. Who was sentenced to 2 years of hard labor at Reading Gaol
> ("redding jail") in 1895?

Oscar Wilde. 4 for Calvin, Dan Blum, Joshua, Peter, and Dan Tilque.

> 4. Which writer was sent to a sharashka -- an intellectual slave
> labor camp -- in 1945?

Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc,
and Dan Tilque. 3 for Calvin.

> 5. Who started refusing food and water in the Maze Prison on
> 1981-03-01?

Bobby Sands. 4 for Joshua and Peter.

> 6. From which prison were four forgers, two "lunatics", and one
> "deviant" aristocrat, the Comte de Solages, suddenly released?

The Bastille. 4 for Calvin, Joshua, Marc, Jason, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. "I ain't got no quarrel with them Viet Cong." Who was sentenced
> to 5 years in jail -- which in the end he did not serve --
> for sticking to those sentiments?

Muhammad Ali (accepting Cassius Clay, his name until a couple
of years before). 4 for Calvin, Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc, Peter,
Jason, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. What singer-songwriter, who lived for a time at Beach Boy
> Dennis Wilson's house, was convicted in 1971 of conspiracy to
> commit murders and has been imprisoned ever since?

Charles Manson. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc, and Jason.

> 9. Which newsworthy figure was released from the Federal
> Correctional Institution in Miami on 2012-05-04?

Conrad Black.

> 10. Which newsworthy figure was released from the Federal Prison
> Camp in Alderson, West Virginia, at 12:30 am on 2005-03-04?

Martha Stewart. 4 for Peter.

> * Game 10, Round 3 - Literature - Famous Servants in Literature

> 1. In this 1987 novel by Kazuo Ishiguro, a butler named Stevens
> is the embodiment of the old-fashioned career manservant:
> loyal, deferential, unquestioning. Name the novel.

"The Remains of the Day". 4 for Calvin, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Marc.

> 2. In the hilarious works of P.G. Wodehouse, this valet is
> incredibly bright and well-spoken, and helps his congenial but
> dim master out of many a scrape. Who is this valet?

Jeeves. 4 for everyone -- Calvin, Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc, Peter,
Erland, Jason, Dan Tilque, and Björn.

> 3. Sam Weller is one of the most popular characters in the first
> novel by Dickens. He is the Cockney valet to the title
> character, and is quick of wit and tongue. His comments are
> hilarious and were called "Wellerisms". Name the novel.

"The Pickwick Papers". Or (more precisely) "The Posthumous
Papers of the Pickwick Club, Containing a Faithful Record of
the Perambulations, Perils, Travels, Adventures and Sporting
Transactions of the Corresponding Members". 4 for Calvin and
Joshua. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 4. Grace Poole is a stout, middle-aged seamstress who works as
> a servant at Thornfield Hall, and is secretly the nursemaid
> and guard for the insane Bertha Mason. Name the novel.

"Jane Eyre" (by Charlotte Bronte). 4 for Calvin and Dan Blum.

> 5. The servant Lee is an intellectual who cleverly deals with
> anti-Asian prejudice in the American West at the turn of the
> 20th century. He serves as a surrogate father to the Trask
> sons when their father is traumatized by a disastrous marriage.
> Name the novel.

"East of Eden" (by John Steinbeck). 4 for Joshua.

> 6. This character is Scarlett O'Hara's childhood nurse in "Gone
> with the Wind". She is an old, heavyset slave who is loyal
> and well versed in Southern etiquette. Name her.

Mammy. 4 for Joshua, Marc, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. Sam Farrow is Charles Smithson's Cockney servant, who aspires
> to become a haberdasher. In what John Fowles novel is Sam
> Farrow found?

"The French Lieutenant's Woman". 4 for Joshua and Marc.

> 8. Preserved Killick is Jack Aubrey's shrewish steward, a highly
> valued, fiercely loyal, and well-respected member of his
> ship's crew. He appears in all 19 books of a seafaring series
> by what author?

Patrick O'Brian. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 9. Robinson Crusoe rescues a captive about to be eaten by cannibals,
> names him Friday, and uses him as a servant. He teaches Friday
> English and convinces him that cannibalism is wrong. Who wrote
> "Robinson Crusoe"?

Daniel Defoe. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc, Peter, Erland, Jason,
Dan Tilque, and Björn.

> 10. This character acts as squire to Don Quixote and throughout
> the novel provides comments that are a combination of broad
> humor, ironic Spanish proverbs, and earthy wit. Name him.

Sancho Panza. Sorry, "Pancho" by itself was not close enough.
4 for Calvin, Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc, Jason, and Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 10 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Lit
Joshua Kreitzer 32 36 68
Dan Blum 24 26 50
Marc Dashevsky 24 24 48
Dan Tilque 24 16 40
"Calvin" 19 20 39
Peter Smyth 16 8 24
Jason Kreitzer 12 12 24
Björn Lundin 8 8 16
Erland Sommarskog 0 8 8

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
"sci fi: the plural of scum fum" -- Spider Robinson