Calvin's Quiz #499

Calvin

Aug 17, 2017, 8:19:54 PM8/17/17

1 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following lines: You're trying hard not to show it / But baby, baby I know it?
2 ‘The Moon's A Balloon’ (1971) was the best-selling memoir of which British actor?
3 What 2-word term is both a leading female singer in an Opera, and someone who is temperamental and hard to please?
4 Which bird is the national symbol of France?
5 What nationality was the writer and artist Christy Brown, best known for his 1954 autobiography "My Left Foot"?
6 In humans, what term refers to the two lower chambers of the heart?
7 What's the capital city of Mali?
8 A Taikonaut is which country’s equivalent of an astronaut?
9 Which two singers duetted on the 1981 hit "Endless Love"?
10 Russia shares land borders with some 14 countries. Which is the shortest, barely 20km in length?

cheers,
calvin

Dan Blum

Aug 17, 2017, 8:42:13 PM8/17/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2 ?The Moon's A Balloon? (1971) was the best-selling memoir of which British actor?

Peter Sellers

> 3 What 2-word term is both a leading female singer in an Opera, and someone who is temperamental and hard to please?

prima donna

> 4 Which bird is the national symbol of France?

eagle

> 5 What nationality was the writer and artist Christy Brown, best known for his 1954 autobiography "My Left Foot"?

Irish

> 6 In humans, what term refers to the two lower chambers of the heart?

ventral

> 7 What's the capital city of Mali?

Bamako

> 8 A Taikonaut is which country?s equivalent of an astronaut? ??

China

> 10 Russia shares land borders with some 14 countries. Which is the shortest, barely 20km in length?

Azerbaijan

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Aug 17, 2017, 11:13:07 PM8/17/17
Calvin:
> 1 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following lines: You're
> trying hard not to show it / But baby, baby I know it?

"We've Lost That Loving Feeling".

> 2 'The Moon's A Balloon' (1971) was the best-selling
> memoir of which British actor?

Niven.

> 3 What 2-word term is both a leading female singer in an
> Opera, and someone who is temperamental and hard to please?

Diva.

> 4 Which bird is the national symbol of France?

Brigitte Bardot. :-)

Gung wbxr znl erdhver na rkcynangvba orfvqrf gur boivbhf qbhoyr zrnavat
bs "oveq". Nabgure angvbany flzoby bs Senapr vf na vqrnyvmrq jbzna
anzrq, V guvax, Znevnaar, jubfr vzntr vf be unf orra hfrq va gur fnzr
fbeg bs jnl gung gur HF hfrq gb chg vzntrf bs "Yvoregl" nf n jbzna ba
pbvaf naq fhpu orsber gurl fjvgpurq gb hfvat erny crbcyr. Ohg gur
vzntrf bs Znevnaar bire gvzr unir orra onfrq ba qvssrerag erny jbzra,
naq, vs V erzrzore pbeerpgyl, Oneqbg jnf bar bs gurz.

> 5 What nationality was the writer and artist Christy Brown,
> best known for his 1954 autobiography "My Left Foot"?

Irish.

> 6 In humans, what term refers to the two lower chambers of the heart?

Ventricles.

> 7 What's the capital city of Mali?

Bamako.

> 8 A Taikonaut is which country's equivalent of an astronaut?

Malian. :-) Actually Chinese.

> 9 Which two singers duetted on the 1981 hit "Endless Love"?

Johnson and Johnson. :-)

> 10 Russia shares land borders with some 14 countries. Which is
> the shortest, barely 20km in length?

Pakistan?
--
Mark Brader | "[These] articles should be self-explanatory.
Toronto | If they *don't* explain themselves,

Mark Brader

Aug 17, 2017, 11:13:44 PM8/17/17
Dan Blum:
> prima donna

Hmm. I think my answer and Dan's may both be right.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | I am a mathematician, sir. I never permit myself
m...@vex.net | to think. --Stuart Mills (Carr: The Three Coffins)

Mark Brader

Aug 17, 2017, 11:16:07 PM8/17/17
Mark Brader:
> Hmm. I think my answer and Dan's may both be right.

Or maybe I just have trouble counting to 2. :-(

I think I was predisposed to my answer because it was also an answer on
a 1982-ish rerun of "The New $25,000 Pyramid" that I watched earlier today.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "More importantly, Mark is just plain wrong."
m...@vex.net -- John Hollingsworth

Dan Tilque

Aug 18, 2017, 2:56:04 AM8/18/17
Calvin wrote:
> 1 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following lines: You're trying hard not to show it / But baby, baby I know it?

You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' by the Righteous Brothers

> 2 ‘The Moon's A Balloon’ (1971) was the best-selling memoir of which British actor?
> 3 What 2-word term is both a leading female singer in an Opera, and someone who is temperamental and hard to please?

prima donna

> 4 Which bird is the national symbol of France?
> 5 What nationality was the writer and artist Christy Brown, best known for his 1954 autobiography "My Left Foot"?

American

> 6 In humans, what term refers to the two lower chambers of the heart?

ventricle

> 7 What's the capital city of Mali?
> 8 A Taikonaut is which country’s equivalent of an astronaut?

China

> 9 Which two singers duetted on the 1981 hit "Endless Love"?
> 10 Russia shares land borders with some 14 countries. Which is the shortest, barely 20km in length?

North Korea

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 18, 2017, 3:19:03 AM8/18/17
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following lines: You're
> trying hard not to show it / But baby, baby I know it?

You've Lost that Loving Feeling

> 3 What 2-word term is both a leading female singer in an Opera, and
> someone who is temperamental and hard to please?

Prima donna

> 4 Which bird is the national symbol of France?

I would say Marianne, but she is not exactly a bird.

> 5 What nationality was the writer and artist Christy Brown, best
> known for his 1954 autobiography "My Left Foot"?

New Zealand

> 7 What's the capital city of Mali?

Bamako

> 8 A Taikonaut is which country’s equivalent of an astronaut?

China

> 10 Russia shares land borders with some 14 countries. Which is the
> shortest, barely 20km in length?

North Korea

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 18, 2017, 3:23:30 AM8/18/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Mark Brader:
>> Hmm. I think my answer and Dan's may both be right.
>
> Or maybe I just have trouble counting to 2. :-(

I also had some problems getting the count right, since in Swedish we
write it as a single word. So I was sort of predisposed to think it would
be the same in English. But obviously not in Italian.

Marc Dashevsky

Aug 18, 2017, 3:51:06 AM8/18/17
In article <8b3045d4-d78d-4b4f...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following lines: You're trying hard not to show it / But baby, baby I know it?
You've Lost That Loving Feeling

> 2 ?The Moon's A Balloon? (1971) was the best-selling memoir of which British actor?
> 3 What 2-word term is both a leading female singer in an Opera, and someone who is temperamental and hard to please?
prima donna

> 4 Which bird is the national symbol of France?
> 5 What nationality was the writer and artist Christy Brown, best known for his 1954 autobiography "My Left Foot"?
Irish

> 6 In humans, what term refers to the two lower chambers of the heart?
ventricle

> 7 What's the capital city of Mali?
> 8 A Taikonaut is which country?s equivalent of an astronaut?
Japan

> 9 Which two singers duetted on the 1981 hit "Endless Love"?
> 10 Russia shares land borders with some 14 countries. Which is the shortest, barely 20km in length?
>
> cheers,
> calvin

Peter Smyth

Aug 18, 2017, 7:27:53 AM8/18/17
Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following lines: You're trying
> hard not to show it / But baby, baby I know it?
You've Lost That Loving Feeling
> 2 ‘The Moon's A Balloon’ (1971) was the best-selling memoir of which
> British actor?
Laurence Olivier
> 3 What 2-word term is both a leading female singer in an Opera, and
> someone who is temperamental and hard to please?
Diva seems to fit the clues, but not sure what the second word would be?
> 4 Which bird is the national symbol of France?
>
> 5 What nationality was the writer and artist Christy Brown, best known
> for his 1954 autobiography "My Left Foot"?
Irish
> 6 In humans, what term refers to the two lower chambers of the heart?
Ventricles
> 7 What's the capital city of Mali?
Timbuktu
> 8 A Taikonaut is which country’s equivalent of an astronaut?
China
> 9 Which two singers duetted on the 1981 hit "Endless Love"?
>
> 10 Russia shares land borders with some 14 countries. Which is the
> shortest, barely 20km in length?
North Korea

Peter Smyth

Pete Gayde

Aug 18, 2017, 2:18:13 PM8/18/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following lines: You're
> trying hard not to show it / But baby, baby I know it?

You've Lost that Loving Feeling

> 2 ‘The
> Moon's A Balloon’ (1971) was the best-selling memoir of which
> British actor?

Peter Sellers

> 3 What 2-word term is both a leading female singer
> in an Opera, and someone who is temperamental and hard to please?

Prima donna

> 4 Which bird is the national symbol of France?

Rooster

> 5 What nationality
> was the writer and artist Christy Brown, best known for his 1954
> autobiography "My Left Foot"?

Irish

> 6 In humans, what term refers to the
> two lower chambers of the heart?

Ventricle

> 7 What's the capital city of Mali?

Bamako

> 8 A Taikonaut is which country’s equivalent of an
> astronaut?

Japan

> 9 Which two singers duetted on the 1981 hit "Endless Love"?
> 10 Russia shares land borders with some 14
> countries. Which is the shortest, barely 20km in length?

Poland

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Gareth Owen

Aug 18, 2017, 2:30:33 PM8/18/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following lines: You're trying
> hard not to show it / But baby, baby I know it?

You've Lost That Living Feeling

> 2 ‘The Moon's A Balloon’ (1971) was the best-selling memoir of which
> British actor?

David Niven

> 3 What 2-word term is both a leading female singer in an Opera, and
> someone who is temperamental and hard to please?

Prima Donna

> 4 Which bird is the national symbol of France?

Cock

> 5 What nationality was the writer and artist Christy Brown, best known
> for his 1954 autobiography "My Left Foot"?

Irish

> 6 In humans, what term refers to the two lower chambers of the heart?

(tosses coin) Ventricle

> 7 What's the capital city of Mali?

Baku?

> 8 A Taikonaut is which country’s equivalent of an astronaut?

China

> 9 Which two singers duetted on the 1981 hit "Endless Love"?

Diana Ross & Lionel Richie

> 10 Russia shares land borders with some 14 countries. Which is the
> shortest, barely 20km in length?

Finland??

Calvin

Aug 24, 2017, 9:03:08 PM8/24/17
On Friday, August 18, 2017 at 10:19:54 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following lines: You're trying hard not to show it / But baby, baby I know it?

You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling

> 2 ‘The Moon's A Balloon’ (1971) was the best-selling memoir of which British actor?

David Niven

> 3 What 2-word term is both a leading female singer in an Opera, and someone who is temperamental and hard to please?

Prima Donna

> 4 Which bird is the national symbol of France?

Rooster / Cockerel

> 5 What nationality was the writer and artist Christy Brown, best known for his 1954 autobiography "My Left Foot"?

Irish

> 6 In humans, what term refers to the two lower chambers of the heart?

ventricles

> 7 What's the capital city of Mali?

Bamako

> 8 A Taikonaut is which country’s equivalent of an astronaut?

China

> 9 Which two singers duetted on the 1981 hit "Endless Love"?

Lionel Ritchie and Diana Ross
Singleton for Gareth

> 10 Russia shares land borders with some 14 countries. Which is the shortest, barely 20km in length?

North Korea

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 499
1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 8 36 Gareth Owen
1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 6 32 Pete Gayde
1 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 5 22 Erland S
1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 5 22 Mark Brader
1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 1 5 24 Dan Tilque
1 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 1 5 25 Peter Smyth
0 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 5 31 Dan Blum
1 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 4 20 Marc Dashevsky
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
7 3 5 2 6 7 4 5 1 3 43 54%

Congratulations Gareth.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Aug 27, 2017, 7:24:07 PM8/27/17
"Calvin":
> 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 5 22 Mark Brader

And #8?
--
Mark Brader "How diabolically clever: a straightforward message!
Toronto Only a genius could have thought of that."

Calvin

Aug 27, 2017, 10:10:07 PM8/27/17
On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 9:24:07 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> "Calvin":
> > 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 5 22 Mark Brader
>
> And #8?

Your first answer was clearly a joke, so yes!

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 499
1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 8 36 Gareth Owen
1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 6 30 Mark Brader
1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 6 32 Pete Gayde
1 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 5 22 Erland S