QFTCI11 Game 3 Rounds 7-8: maple leaves, Trek fun

Mark Brader

Jul 30, 2011, 1:25:40 AM7/30/11
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-01-31,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days. For further information see
my 2011-05-23 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI5GNM, QFTCI11, QFTCIMM)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 3, Round 7 - Maple Leaves

As you might just possibly guess from the handout

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/0307/leaf.jpg

this is the Canadiana round. We would like to warn you that,
in addition to removing all text from the images, in some cases
we've also removed some of the imagery surrounding the maple
leaf, replacing it with a continuation of the background color.
For example, some of the leaves shown here were originally in
tight clusters of two or three, but we're showing only the one.
Similarly, some of the leaves are only used on certain narrow
objects, whose edges we've removed from the handout by extending
the background.

In some cases multiple versions of a symbol used in different
contexts or in different years are shown. These will always be
in consecutive squares in one row on the handout, and if you are
asked for a number then you can name *any one*.

1. Got all that? Okay, then where does leaf #37 come from?

*After* answering this question, please decode the rot13:
Guvf bar vf hfrq va inevbhf tbireazragny ybtbf, ohg gurl
pbcvrq vg sebz fbzrjurer ryfr. Vs lbhe nafjre ersreerq gb
fhpu n ybtb, punatr vg gb gryy jurer gubfr qrcnegzragf tbg
vg sebz.

2. Where would you find leaf #33?

3. Leaves #24 through 28 have all been used by the same company
or organization. Name it.

4. Please decode the rot13 after answering question 3. Yrns #1
jnf nyfb hfrq ol n genafcbegngvba pbzcnal be betnavmngvba,
nygubhtu abg na nveyvar. Ohg gurl ercynprq vg va gur 1960f
jvgu gurve cerfrag ybtb pbafvfgvat va shyy bs gjb zbqvsvrq
yrggref. Jung pbzcnal be betnavmngvba jnf gung?

5. The next two questions deal with food-related businesses.
What former company used leaf #36?

6. What food-related company uses leaf #32?

7. Each of the leaves in the third row of the handout, that is
leaves #15 through 21, has been used by one of three different
organizations working in the same field. Name any one of
these groups *and* give the number of any one of its logos.
By the way, the tilted stem on leaf #19 doubles as an acute
accent over a letter E, making that logo bilingual.

8. Which leaf was used on hockey uniforms at the last Winter
Olympics?

9. Which leaf appears on signs for the Trans-Canada Highway?

10. Which leaf appears on Canadian military aircraft?

The remaining leaves include some well-known organizations and
some from obscure sources that we just picked to fill out the grid.
Identify the ones that you can if you like for fun, but for no
points. The leaf numbers in rot13 are: gjb guebhtu svir, rvtug
guebhtu guvegrra, gjragl-gjb, gjragl-guerr, guvegl, guvegl-bar,
guvegl-sbhe, guvegl-svir, guvegl-rvtug guebhtu sbegl-gjb.

* Game 3, Round 8 - Food, Drink, and Entertainment... Star Trek Style

This round is about food, drink, and entertainment as depicted
on the various "Star Trek" TV series. For the first 5 questions,
name the food or drink described.

1. Although outlawed in Starfleet (at least in the original
series), this potent tipple from a hostile power nevertheless
seems to be present at every celebration.

2. What is Jean-Luc Picard's favorite beverage while on duty?
Be sufficiently specific.

3. This squirming Klingon ("KLING-on") delight, according to
Commander Riker, is best served fresh.

4. This squirming Ferengi ("fe-RENG-ghee") delight, according
to Quark, is best served chilled to perfection.

5. This "warrior's drink" became one of Worf's favorites.

6. Turning now to entertainment for the remaining questions,
we'll stay with the subject of Worf for this one. Klingons
pride themselves on their prowess in weapon usage and martial
arts, staging many competitions. Worf's favorite weapon
in competition is a large, curved blade with a lengthwise
handle and multiple spiked ends. What's it called?

7. This entertainment venue and medium appears in many
episodes of different Star Trek series, starting with "Star
Trek: The Next Generation". It is often used to render 19th
or 20th century retro settings -- for example, for the Dixon
Hill detective stories, and the adventures of Captain Proton,
science-fiction hero. What is this venue and medium called?

8. More than one starship captain has been entranced by green,
dancing slave girls from what star system?

9. Commander Riker was king of the Enterprise at this game, at
least until Data started playing. But Data once played
against holodeck reproductions of Albert Einstein, Stephen
Hawking, and Sir Isaac Newton. What game is this?

10. Another game of chance, seen especially on "Star Trek:
Deep Space Nine", is a roulette-style game developed by
the Ferengi. The players are frequently distracted by
intoxicating beverages and lovely girls. Name the game.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Do not meddle in the affairs of undefined behavior,
m...@vex.net | for it is subtle and quick to anger.

Peter Smyth

Jul 30, 2011, 3:20:46 AM7/30/11
"Mark Brader" wrote in message

>* Game 3, Round 7 - Maple Leaves
>
>As you might just possibly guess from the handout
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/0307/leaf.jpg
>
>this is the Canadiana round. We would like to warn you that,
>in addition to removing all text from the images, in some cases
>we've also removed some of the imagery surrounding the maple
>leaf, replacing it with a continuation of the background color.
>For example, some of the leaves shown here were originally in
>tight clusters of two or three, but we're showing only the one.
>Similarly, some of the leaves are only used on certain narrow
>objects, whose edges we've removed from the handout by extending
>the background.
>
>In some cases multiple versions of a symbol used in different
>contexts or in different years are shown. These will always be
>in consecutive squares in one row on the handout, and if you are
>asked for a number then you can name *any one*.
>
>1. Got all that? Okay, then where does leaf #37 come from?

The Canadian Flag

> *After* answering this question, please decode the rot13:
> Guvf bar vf hfrq va inevbhf tbireazragny ybtbf, ohg gurl
> pbcvrq vg sebz fbzrjurer ryfr. Vs lbhe nafjre ersreerq gb
> fhpu n ybtb, punatr vg gb gryy jurer gubfr qrcnegzragf tbg
> vg sebz.
>
>2. Where would you find leaf #33?
>
>3. Leaves #24 through 28 have all been used by the same company
> or organization. Name it.

Air Canada

>4. Please decode the rot13 after answering question 3. Yrns #1
> jnf nyfb hfrq ol n genafcbegngvba pbzcnal be betnavmngvba,
> nygubhtu abg na nveyvar. Ohg gurl ercynprq vg va gur 1960f
> jvgu gurve cerfrag ybtb pbafvfgvat va shyy bs gjb zbqvsvrq
> yrggref. Jung pbzcnal be betnavmngvba jnf gung?

TTC

>5. The next two questions deal with food-related businesses.
> What former company used leaf #36?
>
>6. What food-related company uses leaf #32?
>
>7. Each of the leaves in the third row of the handout, that is
> leaves #15 through 21, has been used by one of three different
> organizations working in the same field. Name any one of
> these groups *and* give the number of any one of its logos.
> By the way, the tilted stem on leaf #19 doubles as an acute
> accent over a letter E, making that logo bilingual.

Liberal Party

>8. Which leaf was used on hockey uniforms at the last Winter
> Olympics?

23, 38

>9. Which leaf appears on signs for the Trans-Canada Highway?

14, 42

>10. Which leaf appears on Canadian military aircraft?

7, 30

>The remaining leaves include some well-known organizations and
>some from obscure sources that we just picked to fill out the grid.
>Identify the ones that you can if you like for fun, but for no
>points. The leaf numbers in rot13 are: gjb guebhtu svir, rvtug
>guebhtu guvegrra, gjragl-gjb, gjragl-guerr, guvegl, guvegl-bar,
>guvegl-sbhe, guvegl-svir, guvegl-rvtug guebhtu sbegl-gjb.

Peter Smyth

Dan Tilque

Jul 30, 2011, 6:30:40 AM7/30/11
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Maple Leaves
>
> As you might just possibly guess from the handout
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/0307/leaf.jpg
>
> this is the Canadiana round. We would like to warn you that,
> in addition to removing all text from the images, in some cases
> we've also removed some of the imagery surrounding the maple
> leaf, replacing it with a continuation of the background color.
> For example, some of the leaves shown here were originally in
> tight clusters of two or three, but we're showing only the one.
> Similarly, some of the leaves are only used on certain narrow
> objects, whose edges we've removed from the handout by extending
> the background.
>
> In some cases multiple versions of a symbol used in different
> contexts or in different years are shown. These will always be
> in consecutive squares in one row on the handout, and if you are
> asked for a number then you can name *any one*.
>
> 1. Got all that? Okay, then where does leaf #37 come from?

Canadian flag

> *After* answering this question, please decode the rot13:
> Guvf bar vf hfrq va inevbhf tbireazragny ybtbf, ohg gurl
> pbcvrq vg sebz fbzrjurer ryfr. Vs lbhe nafjre ersreerq gb
> fhpu n ybtb, punatr vg gb gryy jurer gubfr qrcnegzragf tbg
> vg sebz.
>
> 2. Where would you find leaf #33?
>
> 3. Leaves #24 through 28 have all been used by the same company
> or organization. Name it.

Air Canada; Canadian Tire

> 4. Please decode the rot13 after answering question 3. Yrns #1
> jnf nyfb hfrq ol n genafcbegngvba pbzcnal be betnavmngvba,
> nygubhtu abg na nveyvar. Ohg gurl ercynprq vg va gur 1960f
> jvgu gurve cerfrag ybtb pbafvfgvat va shyy bs gjb zbqvsvrq
> yrggref. Jung pbzcnal be betnavmngvba jnf gung?

CNR

> 5. The next two questions deal with food-related businesses.
> What former company used leaf #36?
>
> 6. What food-related company uses leaf #32?

Tim Horton's

3

> 9. Which leaf appears on signs for the Trans-Canada Highway?

42

> 10. Which leaf appears on Canadian military aircraft?

6

holodeck

> 8. More than one starship captain has been entranced by green,
> dancing slave girls from what star system?
>
> 9. Commander Riker was king of the Enterprise at this game, at
> least until Data started playing. But Data once played
> against holodeck reproductions of Albert Einstein, Stephen
> Hawking, and Sir Isaac Newton. What game is this?

poker

> 10. Another game of chance, seen especially on "Star Trek:
> Deep Space Nine", is a roulette-style game developed by
> the Ferengi. The players are frequently distracted by
> intoxicating beverages and lovely girls. Name the game.

--
Dan Tilque

Joshua Kreitzer

Jul 30, 2011, 11:12:22 AM7/30/11
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Maple Leaves
>
> 1. Got all that? Okay, then where does leaf #37 come from?

The Canadian flag.
(I'm hoping this quiz starts with an easy one.)

> 4. Please decode the rot13 after answering question 3. Yrns #1
> jnf nyfb hfrq ol n genafcbegngvba pbzcnal be betnavmngvba,
> nygubhtu abg na nveyvar. Ohg gurl ercynprq vg va gur 1960f
> jvgu gurve cerfrag ybtb pbafvfgvat va shyy bs gjb zbqvsvrq
> yrggref. Jung pbzcnal be betnavmngvba jnf gung?

ViaRail

> 8. Which leaf was used on hockey uniforms at the last Winter
> Olympics?

> 9. Which leaf appears on signs for the Trans-Canada Highway?

> 10. Which leaf appears on Canadian military aircraft?

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Food, Drink, and Entertainment... Star Trek Style
>

> 2. What is Jean-Luc Picard's favorite beverage while on duty?
> Be sufficiently specific.

Hot Earl Grey tea

> 9. Commander Riker was king of the Enterprise at this game, at
> least until Data started playing. But Data once played
> against holodeck reproductions of Albert Einstein, Stephen
> Hawking, and Sir Isaac Newton. What game is this?

chess

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Marc Dashevsky

Jul 30, 2011, 12:03:16 PM7/30/11
In article <h9qdnYWLq8dJCK7T...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...

<entry/>

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Dan Blum

Jul 30, 2011, 1:55:32 PM7/30/11
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Maple Leaves

> 1. Got all that? Okay, then where does leaf #37 come from?

Canadian national flag

> 2. Where would you find leaf #33?

Canadian one-cent coin

> 4. Please decode the rot13 after answering question 3. Yrns #1
> jnf nyfb hfrq ol n genafcbegngvba pbzcnal be betnavmngvba,
> nygubhtu abg na nveyvar. Ohg gurl ercynprq vg va gur 1960f
> jvgu gurve cerfrag ybtb pbafvfgvat va shyy bs gjb zbqvsvrq
> yrggref. Jung pbzcnal be betnavmngvba jnf gung?

Canadian Pacific Railroad

> 7. Each of the leaves in the third row of the handout, that is
> leaves #15 through 21, has been used by one of three different
> organizations working in the same field. Name any one of
> these groups *and* give the number of any one of its logos.
> By the way, the tilted stem on leaf #19 doubles as an acute
> accent over a letter E, making that logo bilingual.

Montreal Canadiens #19

3

7

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Food, Drink, and Entertainment... Star Trek Style

> 1. Although outlawed in Starfleet (at least in the original

> series), this potent tipple from a hostile power nevertheless
> seems to be present at every celebration.

Romulan ale

> 2. What is Jean-Luc Picard's favorite beverage while on duty?
> Be sufficiently specific.

tea, Earl Grey, hot

> 3. This squirming Klingon ("KLING-on") delight, according to
> Commander Riker, is best served fresh.

gagh

> 5. This "warrior's drink" became one of Worf's favorites.

Irish coffee

> 6. Turning now to entertainment for the remaining questions,
> we'll stay with the subject of Worf for this one. Klingons
> pride themselves on their prowess in weapon usage and martial
> arts, staging many competitions. Worf's favorite weapon
> in competition is a large, curved blade with a lengthwise
> handle and multiple spiked ends. What's it called?

bat'leh

> 7. This entertainment venue and medium appears in many
> episodes of different Star Trek series, starting with "Star
> Trek: The Next Generation". It is often used to render 19th
> or 20th century retro settings -- for example, for the Dixon
> Hill detective stories, and the adventures of Captain Proton,
> science-fiction hero. What is this venue and medium called?

holodeck

> 8. More than one starship captain has been entranced by green,
> dancing slave girls from what star system?

Orion
(not a an actual star system)

> 9. Commander Riker was king of the Enterprise at this game, at
> least until Data started playing. But Data once played
> against holodeck reproductions of Albert Einstein, Stephen
> Hawking, and Sir Isaac Newton. What game is this?

poker

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Jeffrey Turner

Jul 30, 2011, 2:08:09 PM7/30/11
On 7/30/2011 1:25 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> I wrote one of these rounds.

The Star Trek round

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Maple Leaves
>
> As you might just possibly guess from the handout
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/0307/leaf.jpg
>
> this is the Canadiana round. We would like to warn you that,
> in addition to removing all text from the images, in some cases
> we've also removed some of the imagery surrounding the maple
> leaf, replacing it with a continuation of the background color.
> For example, some of the leaves shown here were originally in
> tight clusters of two or three, but we're showing only the one.
> Similarly, some of the leaves are only used on certain narrow
> objects, whose edges we've removed from the handout by extending
> the background.
>
> In some cases multiple versions of a symbol used in different
> contexts or in different years are shown. These will always be
> in consecutive squares in one row on the handout, and if you are
> asked for a number then you can name *any one*.
>
> 1. Got all that? Okay, then where does leaf #37 come from?

The Canadian flag

> *After* answering this question, please decode the rot13:
> Guvf bar vf hfrq va inevbhf tbireazragny ybtbf, ohg gurl

This one is used in various governmental logos, but they

> pbcvrq vg sebz fbzrjurer ryfr. Vs lbhe nafjre ersreerq gb

copied it from somewhere else. If your answer referred to

> fhpu n ybtb, punatr vg gb gryy jurer gubfr qrcnegzragf tbg

such a logo, change it to

> vg sebz.
>
> 2. Where would you find leaf #33?
>
> 3. Leaves #24 through 28 have all been used by the same company
> or organization. Name it.

Air Canada

abcdefghijklm
nopqrstuvwxyz

> 4. Please decode the rot13 after answering question 3. Yrns #1

Leaf #1

> jnf nyfb hfrq ol n genafcbegngvba pbzcnal be betnavmngvba,

was also used by a transportation company or organization,

> nygubhtu abg na nveyvar. Ohg gurl ercynprq vg va gur 1960f

although not an airline. But they replaced it in the 1960s

> jvgu gurve cerfrag ybtb pbafvfgvat va shyy bs gjb zbqvsvrq

with their present logo consisting in full of two modified

> yrggref. Jung pbzcnal be betnavmngvba jnf gung?

letters. What company or organization was that?

Canadian Rail

> 5. The next two questions deal with food-related businesses.
> What former company used leaf #36?
>
> 6. What food-related company uses leaf #32?
>
> 7. Each of the leaves in the third row of the handout, that is
> leaves #15 through 21, has been used by one of three different
> organizations working in the same field. Name any one of
> these groups *and* give the number of any one of its logos.
> By the way, the tilted stem on leaf #19 doubles as an acute
> accent over a letter E, making that logo bilingual.
>
> 8. Which leaf was used on hockey uniforms at the last Winter
> Olympics?

23

> 9. Which leaf appears on signs for the Trans-Canada Highway?

39

> 10. Which leaf appears on Canadian military aircraft?

29

--Jeff

Mark Brader

Jul 30, 2011, 5:56:46 PM7/30/11
Marc Dashevsky:

?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto |"--", Paul said, and then repeated it for emphasis.
m...@vex.net | --Spider Robinson, "Lifehouse"

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 30, 2011, 5:57:40 PM7/30/11
Marc Dashevsky (use...@MarcDashevsky.com) writes:
> In article <h9qdnYWLq8dJCK7T...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
>
><entry/>

Me too!

Pete

Jul 30, 2011, 7:06:57 PM7/30/11

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-01-31,

The Canadian Flag

> 2. Where would you find leaf #33?

On Canadian coins

> 3. Leaves #24 through 28 have all been used by the same company
> or organization. Name it.

Petro Canada

> 4. Please decode the rot13 after answering question 3. Yrns #1
> jnf nyfb hfrq ol n genafcbegngvba pbzcnal be betnavmngvba,
> nygubhtu abg na nveyvar. Ohg gurl ercynprq vg va gur 1960f
> jvgu gurve cerfrag ybtb pbafvfgvat va shyy bs gjb zbqvsvrq
> yrggref. Jung pbzcnal be betnavmngvba jnf gung?

ESSO

> 5. The next two questions deal with food-related businesses.
> What former company used leaf #36?

Tim Horton's

> 6. What food-related company uses leaf #32?
>
> 7. Each of the leaves in the third row of the handout, that is
> leaves #15 through 21, has been used by one of three different
> organizations working in the same field. Name any one of
> these groups *and* give the number of any one of its logos.
> By the way, the tilted stem on leaf #19 doubles as an acute
> accent over a letter E, making that logo bilingual.
>
> 8. Which leaf was used on hockey uniforms at the last Winter
> Olympics?
>
> 9. Which leaf appears on signs for the Trans-Canada Highway?
>
> 10. Which leaf appears on Canadian military aircraft?
>
> The remaining leaves include some well-known organizations and
> some from obscure sources that we just picked to fill out the grid.
> Identify the ones that you can if you like for fun, but for no
> points. The leaf numbers in rot13 are: gjb guebhtu svir, rvtug
> guebhtu guvegrra, gjragl-gjb, gjragl-guerr, guvegl, guvegl-bar,
> guvegl-sbhe, guvegl-svir, guvegl-rvtug guebhtu sbegl-gjb.
>

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Food, Drink, and Entertainment... Star Trek Style
>
> This round is about food, drink, and entertainment as depicted
> on the various "Star Trek" TV series. For the first 5 questions,
> name the food or drink described.
>
> 1. Although outlawed in Starfleet (at least in the original
> series), this potent tipple from a hostile power nevertheless
> seems to be present at every celebration.

Saurian Brandy

> 2. What is Jean-Luc Picard's favorite beverage while on duty?
> Be sufficiently specific.
>
> 3. This squirming Klingon ("KLING-on") delight, according to
> Commander Riker, is best served fresh.
>
> 4. This squirming Ferengi ("fe-RENG-ghee") delight, according
> to Quark, is best served chilled to perfection.
>
> 5. This "warrior's drink" became one of Worf's favorites.
>
> 6. Turning now to entertainment for the remaining questions,
> we'll stay with the subject of Worf for this one. Klingons
> pride themselves on their prowess in weapon usage and martial
> arts, staging many competitions. Worf's favorite weapon
> in competition is a large, curved blade with a lengthwise
> handle and multiple spiked ends. What's it called?
>
> 7. This entertainment venue and medium appears in many
> episodes of different Star Trek series, starting with "Star
> Trek: The Next Generation". It is often used to render 19th
> or 20th century retro settings -- for example, for the Dixon
> Hill detective stories, and the adventures of Captain Proton,
> science-fiction hero. What is this venue and medium called?

The Holodeck

> 8. More than one starship captain has been entranced by green,
> dancing slave girls from what star system?
>
> 9. Commander Riker was king of the Enterprise at this game, at
> least until Data started playing. But Data once played
> against holodeck reproductions of Albert Einstein, Stephen
> Hawking, and Sir Isaac Newton. What game is this?
>
> 10. Another game of chance, seen especially on "Star Trek:
> Deep Space Nine", is a roulette-style game developed by
> the Ferengi. The players are frequently distracted by
> intoxicating beverages and lovely girls. Name the game.

Pete

Marc Dashevsky

Jul 30, 2011, 8:46:45 PM7/30/11
In article <r9CdnYW8U4SD46nT...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
> Marc Dashevsky:
> > <entry/>
>
> ?

Alternatively written <entry></entry>

Mark Brader

Jul 31, 2011, 12:14:27 AM7/31/11
Marc Dashevsky:
> > > <entry/>

Mark Brader:
> > ?

Marc Dashevsky:
> Alternatively written <entry></entry>

So?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Not looking like Pascal is not
m...@vex.net a language deficiency!" -- Doug Gwyn

Marc Dashevsky

Jul 31, 2011, 11:14:10 AM7/31/11
In article <a_GdneAb4pE-S6nT...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...

> Marc Dashevsky:
>
> Mark Brader:
> > > ?
>
> Marc Dashevsky:
> > Alternatively written <entry></entry>
>
> So?

I wanted you to give you the opportunity to distinguish between
an entry with no answers and an entry that wasn't submitted.

Calvin

Jul 31, 2011, 6:23:34 PM7/31/11
On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 15:25:40 +1000, Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> 9. Commander Riker was king of the Enterprise at this game, at
> least until Data started playing. But Data once played
> against holodeck reproductions of Albert Einstein, Stephen
> Hawking, and Sir Isaac Newton. What game is this?

Chess, 3-D chess

--

cheers,
calvin

robpparker SPAM @foroptusnet.com.aume Rob Parker

Jul 31, 2011, 6:29:24 PM7/31/11

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Maple Leaves
>
> 1. Got all that? Okay, then where does leaf #37 come from?

Canadian national flag

> 3. Leaves #24 through 28 have all been used by the same company
> or organization. Name it.

Air Canada

> 4. Please decode the rot13 after answering question 3. Yrns #1
> jnf nyfb hfrq ol n genafcbegngvba pbzcnal be betnavmngvba,
> nygubhtu abg na nveyvar. Ohg gurl ercynprq vg va gur 1960f
> jvgu gurve cerfrag ybtb pbafvfgvat va shyy bs gjb zbqvsvrq
> yrggref. Jung pbzcnal be betnavmngvba jnf gung?

CPR

> 8. Which leaf was used on hockey uniforms at the last Winter
> Olympics?

39; 13

> 9. Which leaf appears on signs for the Trans-Canada Highway?

42; 37

> 10. Which leaf appears on Canadian military aircraft?

7; 30

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Food, Drink, and Entertainment... Star Trek Style
>

> 2. What is Jean-Luc Picard's favorite beverage while on duty?
> Be sufficiently specific.

Earl Grey tea

> 7. This entertainment venue and medium appears in many
> episodes of different Star Trek series, starting with "Star
> Trek: The Next Generation". It is often used to render 19th
> or 20th century retro settings -- for example, for the Dixon
> Hill detective stories, and the adventures of Captain Proton,
> science-fiction hero. What is this venue and medium called?

Holodeck

> 9. Commander Riker was king of the Enterprise at this game, at
> least until Data started playing. But Data once played
> against holodeck reproductions of Albert Einstein, Stephen
> Hawking, and Sir Isaac Newton. What game is this?

Poker

Rob - who has obviously spent far too long away from Star Trek ;-)

Mark Brader

Jul 31, 2011, 8:19:55 PM7/31/11
Marc Dashevsky:

> I wanted you to give you the opportunity to distinguish between
> an entry with no answers and an entry that wasn't submitted.

Oh. You might have done that, then.

:-)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | A driver I know is getting uncomfortably close to
m...@vex.net | earning the nickname "Crash". --Lee Ayrton

Mark Brader

Jul 31, 2011, 8:20:39 PM7/31/11
Rob Parker:
> CPR

Sorry, no points for "off by one"!
--
Mark Brader "... Dennis Ritchie and Brian Kernighan
Toronto are Dennis Ritchie and Brian Kernighan,

Mark Brader

Aug 2, 2011, 2:32:11 AM8/2/11
Mark Brader writes:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-01-31,

> see my 2011-05-23 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI5GNM, QFTCI11, QFTCIMM)".

> I wrote one of these rounds.

That was the Canadiana round.

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Maple Leaves

> As you might just possibly guess from the handout

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/0307/leaf.jpg

> this is the Canadiana round. We would like to warn you that,
> in addition to removing all text from the images, in some cases
> we've also removed some of the imagery surrounding the maple

> leaf, replacing it with a continuation of the background color...

This was the easiest round in the original game and the 3rd-easiest
in the entire season.

> 1. Got all that? Okay, then where does leaf #37 come from?

> *After* answering this question, please decode the rot13:

> This one is used in various governmental logos, but they

> copied it from somewhere else. If your answer referred to

> such a logo, change it to tell where those departments got
> it from.

The flag. 4 for Peter, Dan Tilque, Joshua, Dan Blum, Jeff, Pete,
and Rob.

> 2. Where would you find leaf #33?

The penny (or cent coin). 4 for Dan Blum. 3 for Pete.

> 3. Leaves #24 through 28 have all been used by the same company
> or organization. Name it.

Air Canada. 4 for Peter, Jeff, and Rob. 3 for Dan Tilque.

#24-25 are from 1964, 26-27 from 1993, 28 from 2004;
#25, 27, and 28 are/were specifically airplane tail logos.

> 4. Please decode the rot13 after answering question 3. Leaf #1

> was also used by a transportation company or organization,

> although not an airline. But they replaced it in the 1960s

> with their present logo consisting in full of two modified

> letters. What company or organization was that?

Canadian National Railway(s). (CN or CNR was sufficient.)
4 for Dan Tilque.

> 5. The next two questions deal with food-related businesses.
> What former company used leaf #36?

Dominion (Stores).

> 6. What food-related company uses leaf #32?

Maple Leaf Foods. ("Maple Leaf" was acceptable, but not Maple Leaf
Farms, which is #22.)

#15-16, Conservative Party; #17-19, Liberal Party; #20-21, NDP.
No points for giving the party name alone.

#29. Aboriginal symbols within the leaf include the beaver, eagle,
moose, and thunderbird.

#14. 3 for Peter.

#6 or 7 (1946 and 1965 versions). 4 for Dan Tilque and Dan Blum.
3 for Peter and Rob.

> The remaining leaves include some well-known organizations and
> some from obscure sources that we just picked to fill out the grid.
> Identify the ones that you can if you like for fun, but for no
> points.

Nobody tried these.

2. Finance and Leasing Professionals of Canada.
3. Applied Linguistics Centre, a division of Herzing College in
Winnipeg.
4. McDonald's Canada.
5. A tattoo on the back of a Great Big Sea fan from Indiana,
who used the name "Lovely Lucy" when she posted it on the
band's web site. "This maple leaf", she says, "represents my
deep love for Canada and Great Big Sea."
8-11. Air Canada Jazz (Air Canada's commuter affiliate).
12. Petro-Canada.
13. NAID Canada; NAID is the National (i.e. US) Association for
Information Destruction (e.g. shredding).
22. Maple Leaf Farms.
23. Ringette Canada. (Ringette is a non-contact ice sport mostly
for girls.)
30. CanJet Airlines.
31. Environment Canada's EcoLogo program ("Environmental Choice").
34. Maple Leaf Day, our national tree day, September 22, 2010.
35. Canadian Tourism Commission ("Canada: Keep exploring").
38. The Canada Games.
39. The Canadian coat of arms; therefore also seen on the old red
ensign flag.
40. Taxwiz Accounting and Consulting, a Vancouver company.
41-42. Toronto Maple Leafs (1938 and current 1982 versions; others
were introduced in 1926, 1927, 1966, and 1970). It's said that
one reason the Maple Leafs dropped the old logo was that they
didn't have copyright control over it -- as the existence of
#40 seems to confirm.

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Food, Drink, and Entertainment... Star Trek Style

> This round is about food, drink, and entertainment as depicted
> on the various "Star Trek" TV series. For the first 5 questions,
> name the food or drink described.

> 1. Although outlawed in Starfleet (at least in the original
> series), this potent tipple from a hostile power nevertheless
> seems to be present at every celebration.

Romulan ale. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 2. What is Jean-Luc Picard's favorite beverage while on duty?
> Be sufficiently specific.

"Tea, Earl Grey, hot." (The first three words were required, in
any sequence.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Rob.

> 3. This squirming Klingon ("KLING-on") delight, according to
> Commander Riker, is best served fresh.

Gach (rhymes with "Bach" as pronounced in German). 4 for Dan Blum.

> 4. This squirming Ferengi ("fe-RENG-ghee") delight, according
> to Quark, is best served chilled to perfection.

Tube grubs.

> 5. This "warrior's drink" became one of Worf's favorites.

Prune juice.

"A warrior's drink!" is what he says after Guinan persuades him to
taste the stuff. Michael Dorn, who played Worf, later made a prune
juice commercial.

> 6. Turning now to entertainment for the remaining questions,
> we'll stay with the subject of Worf for this one. Klingons
> pride themselves on their prowess in weapon usage and martial
> arts, staging many competitions. Worf's favorite weapon
> in competition is a large, curved blade with a lengthwise
> handle and multiple spiked ends. What's it called?

Bat'leth (accepting anything close). 4 for Dan Blum.

> 7. This entertainment venue and medium appears in many
> episodes of different Star Trek series, starting with "Star
> Trek: The Next Generation". It is often used to render 19th
> or 20th century retro settings -- for example, for the Dixon
> Hill detective stories, and the adventures of Captain Proton,
> science-fiction hero. What is this venue and medium called?

Holodeck (or holosuite). 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Pete, and Rob.

> 8. More than one starship captain has been entranced by green,
> dancing slave girls from what star system?

Orion. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 9. Commander Riker was king of the Enterprise at this game, at
> least until Data started playing. But Data once played
> against holodeck reproductions of Albert Einstein, Stephen
> Hawking, and Sir Isaac Newton. What game is this?

Poker. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Rob.

Hawking himself played the role of his reproduction.

> 10. Another game of chance, seen especially on "Star Trek:
> Deep Space Nine", is a roulette-style game developed by
> the Ferengi. The players are frequently distracted by
> intoxicating beverages and lovely girls. Name the game.

Dabo.

Scores, if there are no errors:

ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Spo Sci His Lit Can Ent FOUR
Stephen Perry 32 24 35 33 -- -- 124
Joshua Kreitzer 31 36 24 32 4 4 123
Peter Smyth 8 35 24 24 14 0 97
Dan Blum 4 28 16 25 12 28 97
Marc Dashevsky 24 36 16 16 0 0 92
Pete Gayde 32 12 23 21 7 4 88
Jeff Turner 28 32 16 8 8 0 84
Dan Tilque 20 32 -- -- 15 8 75
Rob Parker 0 32 16 15 11 12 75
"Calvin" 11 16 16 0 0 0 43
Erland Sommarskog 0 4 24 11 0 0 39
Bj�rn Lundin -- -- 20 4 -- -- 24
John Masters 0 8 -- -- -- -- 8

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "A secret proclamation? How unusual!"
m...@vex.net -- Arsenic and Old Lace

swp

Aug 2, 2011, 9:46:35 AM8/2/11
On Saturday, July 30, 2011 1:25:40 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> I wrote one of these rounds.

the star trek round?

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Maple Leaves
>
> As you might just possibly guess from the handout
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/0307/leaf.jpg
>
> this is the Canadiana round. We would like to warn you that,
> in addition to removing all text from the images, in some cases
> we've also removed some of the imagery surrounding the maple
> leaf, replacing it with a continuation of the background color.
> For example, some of the leaves shown here were originally in
> tight clusters of two or three, but we're showing only the one.
> Similarly, some of the leaves are only used on certain narrow
> objects, whose edges we've removed from the handout by extending
> the background.

because, you know, we all do so well on the canadiana round...

> In some cases multiple versions of a symbol used in different
> contexts or in different years are shown. These will always be
> in consecutive squares in one row on the handout, and if you are
> asked for a number then you can name *any one*.
>
> 1. Got all that? Okay, then where does leaf #37 come from?

the current official canadian flag

> *After* answering this question, please decode the rot13:
> Guvf bar vf hfrq va inevbhf tbireazragny ybtbf, ohg gurl
> pbcvrq vg sebz fbzrjurer ryfr. Vs lbhe nafjre ersreerq gb
> fhpu n ybtb, punatr vg gb gryy jurer gubfr qrcnegzragf tbg
> vg sebz.
>
> 2. Where would you find leaf #33?

canada! ;-) looks like it is from the one cent coin

> 3. Leaves #24 through 28 have all been used by the same company
> or organization. Name it.

canadian olympic committee; canadian association of convenience store owners

> 4. Please decode the rot13 after answering question 3. Yrns #1
> jnf nyfb hfrq ol n genafcbegngvba pbzcnal be betnavmngvba,
> nygubhtu abg na nveyvar. Ohg gurl ercynprq vg va gur 1960f
> jvgu gurve cerfrag ybtb pbafvfgvat va shyy bs gjb zbqvsvrq
> yrggref. Jung pbzcnal be betnavmngvba jnf gung?

canadian railroad ... pacific western rail?

> 5. The next two questions deal with food-related businesses.
> What former company used leaf #36?

conagra?

> 6. What food-related company uses leaf #32?

molsen canadian? ; labatts?

> 7. Each of the leaves in the third row of the handout, that is
> leaves #15 through 21, has been used by one of three different
> organizations working in the same field. Name any one of
> these groups *and* give the number of any one of its logos.
> By the way, the tilted stem on leaf #19 doubles as an acute
> accent over a letter E, making that logo bilingual.

toronto maple leafs hockey team #15

#6 ; #7

#7 ; #6

> The remaining leaves include some well-known organizations and
> some from obscure sources that we just picked to fill out the grid.
> Identify the ones that you can if you like for fun, but for no
> points. The leaf numbers in rot13 are: gjb guebhtu svir, rvtug
> guebhtu guvegrra, gjragl-gjb, gjragl-guerr, guvegl, guvegl-bar,
> guvegl-sbhe, guvegl-svir, guvegl-rvtug guebhtu sbegl-gjb.

no, I think that's enough of that

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Food, Drink, and Entertainment... Star Trek Style
>
> This round is about food, drink, and entertainment as depicted
> on the various "Star Trek" TV series. For the first 5 questions,
> name the food or drink described.
>
> 1. Although outlawed in Starfleet (at least in the original
> series), this potent tipple from a hostile power nevertheless
> seems to be present at every celebration.

romulan ale

> 2. What is Jean-Luc Picard's favorite beverage while on duty?
> Be sufficiently specific.

earl grey tea

> 3. This squirming Klingon ("KLING-on") delight, according to
> Commander Riker, is best served fresh.

gak (no idea if that's how it is spelt, sounds like that though)

> 4. This squirming Ferengi ("fe-RENG-ghee") delight, according
> to Quark, is best served chilled to perfection.

kahlana

> 5. This "warrior's drink" became one of Worf's favorites.

prune juice

> 6. Turning now to entertainment for the remaining questions,
> we'll stay with the subject of Worf for this one. Klingons
> pride themselves on their prowess in weapon usage and martial
> arts, staging many competitions. Worf's favorite weapon
> in competition is a large, curved blade with a lengthwise
> handle and multiple spiked ends. What's it called?

bat-leth

> 7. This entertainment venue and medium appears in many
> episodes of different Star Trek series, starting with "Star
> Trek: The Next Generation". It is often used to render 19th
> or 20th century retro settings -- for example, for the Dixon
> Hill detective stories, and the adventures of Captain Proton,
> science-fiction hero. What is this venue and medium called?

holodeck

> 8. More than one starship captain has been entranced by green,
> dancing slave girls from what star system?

orion

> 9. Commander Riker was king of the Enterprise at this game, at
> least until Data started playing. But Data once played
> against holodeck reproductions of Albert Einstein, Stephen
> Hawking, and Sir Isaac Newton. What game is this?

poker

> 10. Another game of chance, seen especially on "Star Trek:
> Deep Space Nine", is a roulette-style game developed by
> the Ferengi. The players are frequently distracted by
> intoxicating beverages and lovely girls. Name the game.

dabo

swp, who hopes this one makes it so he doesn't have to resort to bothering Mark directly with email

swp

Aug 2, 2011, 11:29:06 AM8/2/11
swp <Stephen...@gmail.com> wrote in
@glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.
com:

and right after I posted this I saw the answer slate and next set from
Mark.

I don't mind losing. I mind not being allowed to try.

swp

Calvin

Aug 2, 2011, 6:11:42 PM8/2/11
On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 16:32:11 +1000, Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

>> 8. More than one starship captain has been entranced by green,
>> dancing slave girls from what star system?
>
> Orion.

Orion is a star system?

Proper Name ~Distance (L Yrs)
Betelgeuse 643
Rigel 772
Bellatrix 243
Mintaka 900
Alnilam 1359
Alnitak 800
Saiph 724

The writers should be strung up!

--

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Aug 2, 2011, 11:20:51 PM8/2/11
Mark Brader:

>>> 8. More than one starship captain has been entranced by green,
>>> dancing slave girls from what star system?
>>
>> Orion.

"Calvin":
> Orion is a star system? ... The writers should be strung up!

That just shows that usage is going to change between now and the
time in question (just as we know from the original "Star Trek"
and its sequels that people will finally convert to using metric
sometime around the start of the 24th century).

Perhaps this usage of "Orion" is going to originate as an informal
shortening for the long name of a particular star system that is the
first one in that constellation to be discovered to be inhabited,
for instance -- just as we now see the reporters writing "E. coli"
when they mean to refer to the few specific strains of E. coli that
make people seriously ill.
--
Mark Brader "It's okay for us to love our country,
Toronto but we ought to spend most of our time

Mark Brader

Aug 2, 2011, 11:23:22 PM8/2/11
Stephen Perry:

> who hopes this one makes it so he doesn't have to resort to
> bothering Mark directly with email

Perhaps you should have.

If these answers had been posted on time, they would have scored
16 and 36 points in the two rounds.
--
Mark Brader | "Howeb45 9 qad no5 und8ly diturvrd v7 7jis dince
Toronto | 9 qas 8mtillihemt mot ikkfavpur4d 5esoyrdeful